Type keyword(s) to search

S33.E06: The Truth Works Well

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Surprise! Never expected Figgy to be the one going, but I'm glad, she annoyed me.

I have a feeling Hannah is one of those people that are really annoying all the time, they're just not showing it. 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Eolivet said:

I don't know if the Survivor editors are getting worse or I'm getting better at reading them, because I found all that extremely telegraphed.

Neither, I think; this was the Drew Christy Memorial Loser Edit, more commonly seen on Project Runway, where they absolutely hammer the poor sucker going home with LOOK AT THIS LOSER HAHAHA stuff.  She lost them the challenges!  She cried (the Survivor fandom's most loathed sin!)  She looked like a fool telling Jessica and Ken about her and Taylor!  She looks scared at tribal!  (Exactly as @azshadowwalker I think said, she was hateful for not being concerned when her name came up in the second episode, and now she's hateful for being concerned about it.)  They pulled out ever trick in their editor bag on her this episode.  Other than Drew, I don't remember another example on Survivor, but it's a way to change it up.  Replace the suspense with audience satisfaction.  Poor Figgy. 

I still like her alot, especially (but not only) as a Survivor character.  They were clearly casting for a certain energy of youth, and other than Jay, I think she brought the most of it; I like to see it, a kind of delight in being alive, that she probably wasn't even aware of?  But I (clearly alone among all Survivor fans in the entire world) enjoyed watching it, such a breath of fresh air for me, when Survivor is usually so dour and all about misery.  Even people I think of as a bright light, like Courtney or Cirie, spend a lot of time complaining.  I like seeing her so 元気 and expressively open about her feelings (Michaela of course is the same, but people love Michaela for it, hate Figgy for it.)  I'm not super devastated to see her go; she was no strategist, and her going home is probably good for Michelle, so that's a consolation.  But I did like her.

I thiiiiink I would have gone the same way Adam did.  One thing to worry about is that it will be extremely clear to all other Millenials what happened.  No way he can possibly not take the heat for that: obviously it wasn't Taylor who flipped on Figgy.  And, with Michaela brazenly helping the orange tribe at the challenge it seems there is some open agreement that the Millenials want to keep their Millenial numbers above all else.  (Exactly as Taylor and Figgy made this assumption, Michaela made it too, openly in front of her own current tribemates from Gen X, which seems very very risky to me.)  So that's a big risk!  BUT I think, for Adam, it was probably the right move.  Getting to the merge with the numbers means nothing if you can't win from that position.  Taking the short-term dangerous move to help the long game is always what I like to see.  Too many moving parts to see where he goes from here, but teaming up with the Ken/Jessica/Dave team, perhaps with Zeke and Chris, could really work for him.

I love Jay so I'm glad he found the idol.  Too bad it was in a crowd, but what can you do.  I like how Michaela is super expressive and blunt, but can keep things to herself till needed.  A lot of people would blow up that idol immediately.  Will is not doing anything wrong but he is starting to seem like he's just along for the ride.  He was wearing some kind of invisibility cloak in that scene!  Isn't having panic attacks the kind of thing that people were worried that the "Cool Kids" would bully Hannah for?  Why then are we attacking her for it?  It's a real thing and quite scary.  It's only happened to me once but I would have thought I was getting heat stroke or something too.  Glad they got Dr. Joe out there, instead of allowing another Caleb situation to possibly develop.  Fascinating edit for Hannah, I will be really interested to see where she goes.  I still love you Hannah!

Honestly tho Jeff was super obnoxious tonight.  I never say this, but I really felt he was interfering too much in things today.  Maybe he always pulls shit like this wedding nonsense and it's usually cut, but I was really surprised by it.  I felt like he really had it in for Figgy all episode; perhaps he feels the way y'all do, and wanted to get rid of her.  I don't mind the calling out of the reaction face that much -- should be easy enough to sidestep, which Figgy completely failed to do -- but that tribal bit was crazy town.  Shut up Probst! 

Finally, I texted my sister this morning, "Michelle's only chance is if there's a puzzle challenge today, she seems to be amazing at them" and it didn't quite work that way but still, a great episode for her.  She played really well, I think, all through.

Edited by KimberStormer
  • Love 7
25 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I can't stand Michaela.  She's got a chip on her shoulder a mile deep and she has absolutely zero social game.  I'm guessing she's never watched this show before.  I'm looking forward to post-merge when her athletic prowess makes her threat #1.  Sorry, I know you mostly all love her. 

I like that she's on the show. She's very interesting. I don't dislike her, but I side with your point of view regarding her brutally blunt conversations. I was a brutally blunt 20-something until I realized I was pissing off nearly everyone I came across in life, if not immediately then eventually. It makes life so much harder when you do that. You have to be damn near perfect at everything because you have no safety net of people ready to pick you up when you fall. Michaela is winning challenges, but what happens when she loses one? Who is going to fight for her? They are going to bounce her challenge-beast ass as soon as they can. The saddest part is that she will probably think she played a great game.

• Love 7

You know who Michaela reminds me of? 

Sandra. But with physical superpowers.  Or - rather. Rob, with less social superpowers. 

Meaning - those two shot their mouths off (Rob, not so much near the end, and he saved it for confessionals, but that was after almost 8 years of knowing what to do). Sandra just did not give a crap, and if it wasn't her she's good. And I think a lot of people (even if they don't like bluntness) can respect that  - if A: it's going to everyone and B - there's other stuff with it. Like Sandra still smiled, and hugged, and cared for people. Rob could sell ice cubes to Eskimos if he wanted. It's obvious that Michaela is liked. And we generally know going into the merge - the women aren't looked at as much, even if they are threats - it's going to be guys like Brett, Ken, Gingerhead (sorry don't remember his name), and the younger guys. Sure Michaela can win a IC here or there, but she easily could be kept for the numbers. She'd become a target at 8-7-6. depending on the blend of people.

And for me, I love her (but I loved Sandra, and I loved Rob, until Redemption Island) - and that would be me. like. "Why are you helping them." easy - because to give Younger team the numbers.  Taylor's stupid comment was was replied with a use your brain, dummy, answer (like I literally thought because there are 3 of you, and then poof. Michaela said what she said). It could hurt her but I think she's also smart enough to spin it. I hope she wins it. She's my favourite this season. So is Jess. I don't mind Dave now and I do like Gingerhead (even though I can't remember his name). oh and Zeke. 

Man. I miss live chatting with you guys. Working Wednesday nights suck :( 

• Love 9

I think we were suppose to dislike Figgy but I could never do it. It could just be her being a cute girl with a great smile but she never struck me as having a bad attitude. She was too obvious about her relationships with whatshisname and Michelle, she got clipped for it, let's move on. 

Six episodes in, almost half the season, and still not a lot of personality in this group. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, mojoween said:

I no longer have any interest in what Michaela is selling.  No one ever told her about tact?

6 hours ago, Haleth said:

I thought Michaela was hilarious. "There's 3 of you. If you can't figure out how that works you deserve to go home."  Hopefully they won't figure it out and Figgy goes home. Her giggling is driving me nuts. 

Yeah, on the one hand I've been on the fence with her all season; this episode convinced me that there is no way to sugarcoat it, she's a nasty person with a shitty attitude, regardless of her value in challenges.  I did however cackle with glee when she replied to Taylor's "But there are millenials on this tribe!" with her "There's 3 of you..." line, because you know... it's friggin' Survivor.  You're owed nothing, Taylor!  That the Figtails got split up and had their summer camp romance busted had me howling with laughter.  When Figgy actually said how much vengeance they'd wreak on him, I gotta think that was the final nail in the coffin for Adam, if he was still on the fence: "Wait, so not only am I in the bottom of the Millenials, but you're threatening me?!"  There is something so schadenfreude-tastic about people who talk themselves right out of the game at tribal.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

That was a great idea of Chris's, to interject with the yelling and to help amplify Michelle's voice.

I feel like I've never seen that in all of the seasons of Survivor I've watched.

Like with Michaela helping another tribe, I didn't know you could even do that.  In both cases I figured Jeff would pipe up to quash it, but no.  Still, it underscores a point I made in the preview thread; if Chris has a clearly more audible voice, why wasn't he the caller, instead of yet another reedy-thin-voiced woman squeaking on a tower where no one could hear her? How much brawn do they all think walking in a line and untying ropes involves?

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, hincandenza said:

Like with Michaela helping another tribe, I didn't know you could even do that.  In both cases I figured Jeff would pipe up to quash it, but no.  Still, it underscores a point I made in the preview thread; if Chris has a clearly more audible voice, why wasn't he the caller, instead of yet another reedy-thin-voiced woman squeaking on a tower where no one could hear her? How much brawn do they all think walking in a line and untying ropes involves?

I didn't think you could, either.  I also didn't think you could (like Michaela did) give open commentary about what the losing tribe should do at TC.  Who they make the callers in these challenges has never made a lot of sense to me anyway.  Typically you get one loud mouth castaway that gives their tribe the edge, while the other tribe(s) pick a weak voice.  At this point, I like about as many Millennials as I do GenXers, but if the Millennials pagong the GenXers at the merge, this season will officially be over for me (though I'll keep watching).  What I've liked so far is that there hasn't been the numbers advantage.  The underdogs (minus the people in the Mari vote) have managed to hang in there and come out on top. 

• Love 4

I can't tell if Michelle's lack of airtime this episode bodes well or poorly for her chances.

Lack of airtime?  She had key roles in the two challenges, she had the alliance-acknowledging moment with Figgy at the reward challenge (which may have swayed Adam's vote more than anything), it was further commented on back at camp and it seemed to cement to Zeke that he needs to get Michelle out of the game.  She played a pretty big part in the episode, really.

Ending on a positive note....I believe since last episode that Michaela is getting the winner's edit when they had that confessional about her and her family. I am even further convinced tonight when they chose to air the heavy set cop saying "There's nothing you can't do." I don't think that was random...I think it was there to telegraph that everything includes winning this season of SURVIVOR. I hope so anyway.

That said, Adam and Jay also had emotional "doing this for my family" confessionals, so it's not as obvious a telegraph as one might think.

My completely unspoiled feeling is this is a millennial's game to lose, but they're starting to remind me of the massive alliance Russell Hantz took down on his first loss. The minute you start acting mob-like about your numbers is the minute you start losing. Unless your name is Boston Rob, on the fourth try.

It was really "the massive alliance Natalie White took down," but otherwise, your point stands.  Also, Taylor can't count....going into tonight's vote they didn't "already have the numbers" going into a merge since he has no idea when the merge is coming.  It was four Gen X out to one M at that point, and obviously Taylor figured Ken was out next, but it could theoretically be a merge at 12 and the possibility of a 6-6 split.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Daisy said:

Sandra. But with physical superpowers.  Or - rather. Rob, with less social superpowers. 

Meaning - those two shot their mouths off (Rob, not so much near the end, and he saved it for confessionals, but that was after almost 8 years of knowing what to do). Sandra just did not give a crap, and if it wasn't her she's good. And I think a lot of people (even if they don't like bluntness) can respect that  - if A: it's going to everyone and B - there's other stuff with it. Like Sandra still smiled, and hugged, and cared for people. Rob could sell ice cubes to Eskimos if he wanted. It's obvious that Michaela is liked. And we generally know going into the merge - the women aren't looked at as much, even if they are threats - it's going to be guys like Brett, Ken, Gingerhead (sorry don't remember his name), and the younger guys. Sure Michaela can win a IC here or there, but she easily could be kept for the numbers. She'd become a target at 8-7-6. depending on the blend of people.

The Sandra comparison is solid.  The thing about Sandra is that we the viewers all had the impression that Sandra was snarky and kind of a "villain" because of it, yet she was actually extremely well-liked within both her seasons.  Any snark she had outside of confessionals was directed at Fairplay and Russell, who everyone else already hated anyways.  In this case, Michaela telling Hannah to zip it probably didn't go over badly because, as we've seen, Hannah is kind of a mess out there.

Post-merge Michaela will be a challenge threat, but she's hardly the only one.  If Andrew Savage was here, he'd suggest that Michaela, Jay, Taylor, Ken and Chris all form an Alpha Alliance to prevent the others from picking them off.

• Love 5

I'm so excited next week to see Michaela, Jay and Michelle react at the first challenge.

Eliza from Vanuatu tweeted that she was in a lot of blindfold challenges and men's voices are easy to hear.  But last night did have the extra puzzle component which was a fun twist.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, mojoween said:

I no longer have any interest in what Michaela is selling.  No one ever told her about tact?

Right?  I was not impressed with her in one of the very early episodes; then she mellowed out a bit; now she is back to being very abrasive.

7 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Michaela was a bit rude but I think Hannah needed to be shushed and bossed around.  Michaela knew what she was doing and Hannah didn't.  Sometimes results are more important than feelings.

I loved how Probst tried to stir up trouble, saying she was "barking orders" at Hannah.  She said "I love Hannah, but sometimes people need to shut up." (Probably aimed at Probst as much as Hannah).  She also told Hannah, "I'm trying to make you win."

Hannah, much too her credit, seemed to understand and took it well and did her part to get the win.  

I see a lot of people excusing it on these grounds: "Hannah was okay with it."  Hannah is a meek person, and this is exactly how bullying is constantly rationalized.  And I don't understand how anyone who watched closely could not see that the bullying attitude was causing Hannah (who already struggles with anxiety) great distress.  She even said something in response to an insult from Michaela, like "I'm just feeling very yelled at".  Afterward?  Yes, she acted like all was cool.  That's partly because they won, and partly because she's smart enough to know that you should never appear to openly hold a grudge against anyone in Survivor, not while you're still in the game and they might be on the jury.  (Michaela, early on, did not show this same canniness BTW, by being so openly hostile with Figgy.)

3 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I can't stand Michaela.  She's got a chip on her shoulder a mile deep and she has absolutely zero social game.  I'm guessing she's never watched this show before.  I'm looking forward to post-merge when her athletic prowess makes her threat #1.  Sorry, I know you mostly all love her.  

I was thrilled to see Ken survive.  

Hear, hear on both counts.  Stating openly that the Millennials were lying in wait to reassemble at the merge had no strategic value whatsoever.  Sure, it might be obvious anyway; but why reinforce it?  We've seen many cases where people have managed to make their new tribemates believe that the "new tribe" is the real alliance; why potentially upset that kind of applecart when you don't know the dynamics on the other tribes?

And yes, Figgy and Taylor were both pretty dumb about this same kind of thing; but no one that I know of has been arguing that they are great players.  (I do take KimberStormer's point that Figgy has a great youthful spirit, a joie de vivre, behind that beautiful smile of hers.)

• Love 9
6 hours ago, blackwing said:

I think the show wants me to root for Hannah, but I just can't.  So there was nothing physically wrong with her at that reward challenge apparently.  She just got a panic attack... while sitting on the sidelines and doing absolutely nothing.  

Eh. Panic attacks might not be a physical thing (and really, brains are organs that - like other organs - sometimes don't work optimally, so the not-physical thing is debatable) but they are scary as hell and can come on without warning. I'd like to think that being prone to them wasn't a reason to be rooted against (or for) in Survivor.

I think the show handled it well. They're probably pretty jumpy about heatstroke after Caleb too, hence Jeff being so pushy about getting medical, but they looked her over, explained what was happening, she felt better and that was it. No huge overblown drama but not dismissing it as dumb either. 

4 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Unfortunately for us, there's always the reunion show, the perfect setting for a faux wedding.

No way. FigTayls is done - she didn't even make the merge :/

• Love 9

This will always be known as "the one where Figgy FINALLY left".  Nice.

Michaela handled Hannah perfectly in that challenge.  Hannah was jerking that table around like her muscles were all starting to s*** at once.  Panic attack #2 in as many days soon to set in.  Michaela stepped up like Sgt Rock and got the scared, freaking out recruit in line and saved said recruit's life in the process most likely as Hannah would have been an easy target to take out on Team Green if they went to tribal.  They have a 4-2 split on the two Gen-X people so Hannah wasn't really needed there and if she lost that challenge why not take her out. 

So mega kudos to Michaela.  In a competition with your Survivor "life" on the line you should never ever go all touchy feely in the heat of battle.  You should win.  Period.  First stop the sucking chest wound then hand the wounded a lollipop after the battle if you need too.  Hannah is in Michaela's debt big time and seems to know it too.

For the second episode in a row David has provided great physical comedy at challenges.  His inability to "turn right" was right up there with his "ball on the run" antics last time.

I can't really believe any millennium thinks they will all be together at the merge.  That is not possible.  No such mega-alliance has ever worked unless headed by Boston Rob.  And original tribes have long ago dissolved by merge time anyway. 

You need maybe a core 3 or 4 with maybe 6 max going into the merge.  Adam joining Ken and Jess and David with David going after Zeke -- who already is tied to Adam anyway -- is perfectly set up especially since Chris and his buddies Bret and Sunday will probably tag along as their outliers vs the cool kids club as well since Zeke lassos in Chris and Chris brings Bret and Sunday.

Now I'd rather have Michkela with this group instead but you can't get all your favorites on one side in Survivor.

And I'm not saying it will be a cake walk given Jay's idol and Ken "looking" to the others (though not necessarily in reality) as a challenge threat along with Chris.  But David and his idol and Zeke with connections with his new tribe plus Adam and his new buddies both look harmless and should slide along easily in the mid-rounds barring any sudden surprises.

• Love 18
4 hours ago, Superpole2000 said:

You have to be damn near perfect at everything because you have no safety net of people ready to pick you up when you fall. Michaela is winning challenges, but what happens when she loses one?

Yes.  You know who Michaela reminds me of?  Richard Gere in "A Gentleman and an Officer."  She's good looking, hard working, talented at every sort of physical thing, but she's too much of a loner.  She's playing the game the way Chris said he was at first -- all the other people are just standing between her and a million dollars.

But, like Richard Gere, I think she might be heading for a turning point.  Her barking at Hannah was harsh but she was doing it for the team win and she greatly softened it when she said she loved Hannah to death and hugged her afterward.  Her teammates don't seem to hate her, her only true enemy just left, and she may be a lot kinder around camp than she is in the middle of challenges.

I really wish we saw more of camp life, I'm not crazy about two challenges per episode.

In any case, I would still like to see Michaela win and maybe pick up David and carry him to FC with her buff on his head.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

That was a great idea of Chris's, to interject with the yelling and to help amplify Michelle's voice.

I feel like I've never seen that in all of the seasons of Survivor I've watched.

We have noticed before, in similar challenges, that high-pitched (female) voices are harder for some team members to hear over distance.  Lower pitch carries farther.  In this type of challenge they should always have a guy doing the calling.

• Love 3

So the Green tribe finally found their Idol. And then we were treated to Jay and Will doing their own rendition of Dude, Where's My Car - Survivor Edition. "Duuuuude." "The Idol, dude." "Duuddde!" "Don't tell anyone, dude". "Dude". 

Then ping! Up pops Michaela. That shit was so comical. I never understand why people pull the Idol out and look at it. Put that shit in your pants! By the time they've found it, they've usually been "gone" for awhile anyway. It stands to reason someone might come looking for them. So tuck it away, and you can pull it out and stare at it some other time. 

Well, the RC ended up being on of my "favorites" - where blind people crash into objects and no one can hear the fucking caller. Yay! Actually, this time around didn't seem to produce as many injuries. (Outside of Hannah's spectator panic attack, poor thing.) But they mixed it up a bit by making the caller continue to lead the blindfolded person through a puzzle. This ensures you pick a caller who is good at puzzles (or thinks they are, or is the least BAD at puzzles), but then the problem becomes - will that person be a good caller? Because, in my opinion, the caller should be a male with a deep voice. They're just more likely to be heard. Michelle was already horse 5 minutes into that comp. Although, can you blame her, when David apparently didn't know "right" from "left" and "stop" from "go". I laughed so hard when Chris took a pause and tried to help relay Michelle's message to David. 

I was glad to see Orange won, though. (No, I don't remember the individual tribe names and I'm not learning them at this point.) After going to TC last week and being the smallest tribe, that come from behind win had to feel really good. All the cookies and brownies didn't hurt either! I was salivating from my couch. 

Oh man, how awesome was Figtail's coming out party to their tribe? It was so glorious that everyone already fucking knew; and Ken, especially, killed me with his feigned shock. He even had me going for a minute. But then...."You know, when I'd wake up in the morning and you guys were holding hands, and always staring at each other....I just couldn't figure it out." Bah. He had me rolling. 

Immunity challenge, not much different than RC. Orange comes from behind to get Immunity. Michaela pulls off another win for her tribe. I was with Brett - is there NOTHING she can't do??? I did think she was pretty harsh on Hannah, but hey - she got you the win. I'd sit back, shut up, and take it. Which Hannah did. I appreciate it when people are self aware enough to realize they have no idea what they're doing, and someone else does, so just listen to them. I was just hoping Hannah wouldn't get upset and have another panic attack. 

I was very scared to see Purple lose, though, because I was terrified of Ken going home. And, sure enough, Figgy and Taylor had him in their sites. I, honestly, did not know what Adam was going to do, and the vote was very hard for me to watch. But I think he made the right decision. I don't just say this because I'm infatuated with Ken (I freely admit it!), but I really think it's best for HIS game. If the Millennials do come back together, Adam and Zeke are at the bottom. No question. It seems like, without planning it, both boys have gone off and made bonds with Gen-Xers. 

I don't know if Adam had his mind made up before TC, but it really stood out to me that Figgy brought up Adam's previous vote for her. She was all, "I'm not bitter about it or anything", but then I thought - so why bring it up? It seemed, to me, like she was saying, "You made a big mistake going against the power couple, but I'm deigning to still work with you, so you better appreciate it." I just think there was too much assumption from Figgy and Taylor about Adam, whereas Ken really tried to get to know him and befriend him. Figgy and Taylor weren't awful people, but they were a bit arrogant and I'm just glad the smooch sessions are over. 

And just so relieved that Ken is still here. It's inexplicable. He's not really my type. Someone like Chris is more my type. My husband looks a bit like Chris - only taller and tattooed. Ha. But bearded Ken? With those soulful eyes? I'm just not ready to stop looking at him. BUT - he also just seems like a really good person. I think he is a hard worker and a loyal friend. When he looked at Adam and told him that he'd never write his name down, I would 100% believe him. I think Ken is smart, but he has not appeared to be shady yet. That may come back to bite him in the end. Sometimes you have to cut ties with loyal people (see David and CeCe). Not always. But sometimes. We'll see if that trips him up later or not. 

At this point, I'm kind of hoping that come the merge, Gen X gets back together with Zeke and Adam in two. Because all of the players I really like (Ken, David, Zeke, Adam) except Michaela would be in that group, and they'd have the numbers. But at this point, I don't really strongly dislike anyone, and I'm just enjoying seeing how things are ebbing and flowing week to week. I have a feeling come the very end this is going to be a really hard game to watch. 

• Love 12

After Figs called out Michelle as being her close friend when the tribes first came together at the reward challenge, Michelle later told her tribe that she was the one who kept Figs in the game after their first tribal council.  I think that may have been the moment that Michelle's fate was sealed for a future tribal council.  Zeke now knows who orchestrated Mari's ouster and convinced Hannah (who he thought was with him in that vote) and others to form the majority vote that sent Mari home.  It also let Ken and Jess know who the coalition builder for the Millennials is and who they should try to get out in order to make it to the end.  Michelle should have kept it to herself, but there was obviously something bothering her enough about Figs reaction to her that she felt the need to say something.  Therefore, should their tribe return to tribal before the merge, I think Zeke will totally side with Chris and David to vote out Michelle.  

Part of what makes Survivor so fascinating is that the environment and constant social interactions start taking a toll on people and they end up saying and doing things that will cost them the game.  Figs is out due to her smugness, threats, and flaunting of a relationship.  It will be interesting to see if Michelle's comments will send her home soon.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, MissEwa said:

I think the show handled it well. They're probably pretty jumpy about heatstroke after Caleb too, hence Jeff being so pushy about getting medical, but they looked her over, explained what was happening, she felt better and that was it. No huge overblown drama but not dismissing it as dumb either. 

Wasn't this season filmed before the last?  Or was the last one filmed before the one before that?  I know two seasons were flipped.

I can't help but still get Jay and Taylor mixed up.  And I was confusing Figgy with Michelle.  And there is a Will somewhere?

11 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Ssooooooooo.  Apparently I'm psycho in love with Ken?  Out of nowhere?  Because my reaction when he was on the chopping block tonight was EXTREMELY embarrassing.  All these women cut from the show.  Oh dear.  I was cheering for Ken's LIFE tonight - usually I want the woman saved but not today ladies, I really apologize.  I think I'm in love.  I'm such a weirdo. 

I'll join you on the weirdo train, because my love of Ken is bordering on crazy. I'm sitting here watching with my sons, their dad is in the other room, and I have to keep myself in control. It's pathetic. 

11 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

What was Michaela's quote?  "Yeah, but there's 3 of them.  If they can't get along, then they deserve to go home."  Something like that LOL

Ahhh, forgot that in my original post, but that was the best. Taylor was all dumbfounded as to why she was helping Orange and not Purple. "Hey, we have Millennials over here too". "Yea, but there are three of you. If you can't figure out how to work together, you deserve to go home". Hilarious and prophetic. 

10 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I think Jeff thought "Fig Tayls" might actually say yes and they'd be able to have a "Survivor first" with a wedding onscreen.  Jeff loves having Survivor firsts and being able to promote them.

Yup. That's exactly what it was. Plus, he got a chance to brag about being an "ordained minister". It was pretty awkward. But it gave me another chance to see how hilarious Ken is - being able to mediate that super strong, 2 week relationship. He surprises me every time he cracks me up. 

10 hours ago, North of Eden said:

As for him I can honestly picture him trying to get voted out in the future so he can go make hay with Figgy at the Ponderosa.

100% see this happening.

7 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

Just remembered that while they can't compete with the horror that was the bad tattoos alliance/bro-ship (the owners of whom I won't give the glory of naming) last season, Jessica when you can see her back shows she has some really bad coverage of huge tattoos that have been hiding most of the season.

Today it was easier to see them and it looks like she has some kind of a really kindergarten looking panda scene tattoo on her lower back and then a rather large cherry blossom branch(?) on her upper right of her back. They in no way 'work' together either. It just looks a mess. What are these people thinking, ever heard of planning and/or going to someone who might, I don't know, do a good job?

It is really shitty, incongruous work. But my 6-year-old loves pandas, so now he's rooting for Jess. I guess that's something? 

7 hours ago, simplyme said:

Bret is the one who said to Michaela that she "could do anything." He also said, "Wow, this guy can do everything!" about Jay when they were building the new camp and was super-appreciative of Michaela starting the fire. (Well, they all appeared to be.) The glimpses of Bret that we've gotten in Ikabula have all been pretty tribe and player positive

He was also really good with Hannah when she was having her panic attack. He went and sat with her in the shade and kept telling her he was "right here". I think he seems like a nice guy.

• Love 14
9 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Foggy couldn't get off the screen fast enough for me.  All her "OMG, you guys!  I'm so giddy and silly and laughing hilariously while covering my face in fake humility because I know you all think I'm so awesome and in a power couple and I have a boyfriend and I'm running this game and I'm so good at puzzles...but you guys, I'm really not as awesome as you all think! Ok, you're right...I am TOTALLY awesome!" Even her exit interview was delusional.  Sparkle down, Sunshine.  No one saw you as a threat. 

Yes.  All day, every day, yes.  Especially about the laughing and covering her face and fake humility.  "OMG, Jeff, are you saying that Tayls and I are so adorbs that we should like get married right here at Tribal?!  Like really?  No way!  But you really think we should?  OMG, I'm so embarrassed by this attention on how amazeballs I am!"  Haaaaaaaaaate.  But god, it was worth sitting through that to see how quickly she got knocked down to earth by the vote.  The crying on her way out was just gravy.

My unpopular, old lady opinion is that I find a lot of the anxiety/panic attack stuff that seems so prevalent today (especially in younger people online - the percentage of kids on Twitter and tumblr having "anxiety" on a daily basis must be staggering lol), to be a total crutch and made up excuse for not dealing with your shit like the rest of us.  Not all, of course, but some.  So I did kind of roll my eyes when Hannah started freaking out and asked if she was going to die.  But I do give her kudos for recognizing that something like that can be looked at as a weakness by the rest of the tribe and that she didn't want to be "that person." And if she really has been diagnosed with panic attacks, then I give her credit for even trying out for such a stressful game.

As for Michaela, I like that she's blunt and says what we're thinking at home sometimes, but good lord, she's got to dial it down some.  There just feels like this weird undercurrent of anger in everything she says and I'm afraid it's going to come back and bite her.  She can't rely on doing great at comps forever.  And I kind of don't blame her for yelling at Hannah - the way Hannah kept kicking her leg out when she was trying to keep her balance was screwing with the puzzle. Which I know Hannah wasn't doing on purpose, but still, frustrating.

Oh and I 100% officially love Ken now.  

• Love 12
2 hours ago, SlackerInc said:

I see a lot of people excusing it on these grounds: "Hannah was okay with it."  Hannah is a meek person, and this is exactly how bullying is constantly rationalized.

I'm not saying I'm 100% okay with how Michaela spoke to Hannah, but it was literally a 5 minute challenge. I don't see that as "bullying". She wasn't intentionally targeting a weaker person to make herself feel better, or get something from her. She was trying to win a challenge, and she likely would have hushed ANYONE she was working with. I think she wanted to hush Propst as well! (Don't we all?) The thing about Hannah is, she doesn't always seem to know when to listen. After the first TC, Zeke kept asking her to give him space, and she kept trying to get the last word in. Adam finally had to raise his voice to get her to go away. From being with her since day 1, I think Michaela knew she'd have to get brusque with Hannah in order to get her to listen - and Michael knew exactly what she was doing, so Hannah NEEDED to listen to her. She immediately hugged her and told her she loved her after; it wasn't personal at all. 

• Love 17
1 hour ago, TaraS1 said:

My unpopular, old lady opinion is that I find a lot of the anxiety/panic attack stuff that seems so prevalent today (especially in younger people online - the percentage of kids on Twitter and tumblr having "anxiety" on a daily basis must be staggering lol), to be a total crutch and made up excuse for not dealing with your shit like the rest of us.  Not all, of course, but some.

There is a huge difference between feeling anxious (which we all do to some degree at varying times) and having panic attacks. As another "old lady" (*waves a cane in greeting*), most people I know personally who have developed panic attacks have gone through some significant life events like the death of a loved one or a traumatic event. (Stress does also play a huge role.)

As to Hannah's question, "You won't let me die?": Part of that may be her anxious nature, but if you've ever had a panic attack where you are struggling to breathe and your heart pounds and races (to the point where people think they are having a heart attack), you also know why she might feel that way. No, she won't die, but it's hard to be rational mid-attack without external feedback telling her that.

I am a bit surprised she chose to go on Survivor, but good for her. She's having a rare life experience rather than limiting herself due to a fear of having panic attacks. That's the way to go.

Edited by simplyme
  • Love 15
15 minutes ago, simplyme said:

As to Hannah's question, "You won't let me die?": Part of that may be her anxious nature, but if you've ever had a panic attack where you are struggling to breathe and your heart pounds and races (to the point where people think they are having a heart attack), you also know why she might feel that way. No, she won't die, but it's hard to be rational mid-attack without external feedback telling her that.

Well, and she told the doc that she couldn't tell if it was panic or dehydration. The thing is, even though you likely KNOW what's going on, you can never be sure. I have anxiety. I've only had one panic attack in my life, but I often find myself in heightened states of anxiety. Sometimes I will get really bad chest pains or have trouble breathing. Most of the time, I know it's just my mind, my anxiety. But there have been times where I legit worry that something is wrong with me. Last summer I was having such trouble breathing and strong pains for weeks on end that I actually went for an EKG. I was fine, and felt like an ass afterward, but sometimes you just don't know. 

• Love 12
11 hours ago, blackwing said:

David and Hannah are the two most physically useless contestants left.  They really just can't do anything.

Sunday gets no respect.  She's equally useless in challenges.

Glad the showmance has ended, that was annoying.  Adam made the right call, if not for his own game at least for the sake of the viewers.

Michaela is way too blunt to win.  Couple a bad social game with being a challenge beast and you're putting a big target on your back.

I liked the puzzle twist at the end of the blindfold challenge.

• Love 2

Glad my girl Michelle is still in the game. Damn it, Zeke! You and Michelle would make such a good power couple (unlike the other one). Both Michelle and Zeke work so well together during challenges, not only this week but also last week. They would be a kick-ass alliance. But too bad Zeke can recognize what a threat Michelle is and I'm sure vice versa. 

I like Figgy's enthusiasm for life. She's a joyful person by nature. But no honey, no one really thought you were a threat. 

I love Jay. He's another one who gives his all in everything that he does. I hope that confessional is telegraphing his win. 

I see so little of Brett but from what they have shown us, he seemed like a really nice caring dude.

ETA: They could get Chris to be the caller in that challenge but then they have to consider the puzzle part too, which Michelle absolutely rocks every time.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 5

FigTayls is in no way comparable to my beloved Rombuh.  The huge difference is that Rob was always playing the game.  I think he even played it while he was sleeping.  I love me some Boston Rob.

I also love me some Ken, and it was nice to see him smile during this episode (swoon).  I LOVED when Figgy told him about her twu lurve Tayls, and Ken was all, "Whaaa?  Seriously?  You don't say??  LOLZ."  Figgy seemed to think that her cuteness was such that she would be excused from flaunting her "romance" in everyone's faces.  Her exit interview made me super happy that she got bounced.  Way to go, Adam.  I heart you, too.

Why couldn't David hear Michelle when everyone else seemed to have no problem?  I also thought Chris was awesome for stepping in and telling Michelle to relay what she wanted him to yell to David.  And Probst - geez, what is his complex with men that aren't built like Colby Donaldson?  He goes above and beyond when pointing out that David cannot physically carry 3 bags of coconuts at the same time like all the other buff dudes.   He sure gets his jollies by picking on the people he perceives as "nerds." 

There's still several people I'd love to see win this game.  I love how much I'm loving this season.  LOVE LOVE LOVE.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I'm not saying I'm 100% okay with how Michaela spoke to Hannah, but it was literally a 5 minute challenge. I don't see that as "bullying". She wasn't intentionally targeting a weaker person to make herself feel better, or get something from her. She was trying to win a challenge, and she likely would have hushed ANYONE she was working with. I think she wanted to hush Propst as well! (Don't we all?) The thing about Hannah is, she doesn't always seem to know when to listen. After the first TC, Zeke kept asking her to give him space, and she kept trying to get the last word in. Adam finally had to raise his voice to get her to go away. From being with her since day 1, I think Michaela knew she'd have to get brusque with Hannah in order to get her to listen - and Michael knew exactly what she was doing, so Hannah NEEDED to listen to her. She immediately hugged her and told her she loved her after; it wasn't personal at all. 

I would agree that I don't think Michaela was bullying Hannah.  Michaela took charge because the weak person who was freaking out needed to be calmed down and told what to do.  However, I don't think that Hannah was really ok with it at the time.  At one point, when Michaela was yelling at her, she had this look on her face that said "do all of you hear the way she is talking to me" and "wow, you are nasty, I won't say anything because we need to win, but I'm a person too".  Hannah said she was ok with it when they won the challenge.  She is a doormat and has low self-esteem and seems to be going through life thinking that everyone is prettier or better than her.  I find that a little sad.  She is the perfect pawn in this game, she doesn't seem to make any moves of her own and just does what others tell her to do.  When she voted out Mari she insisted during the whisperings that she needed a reason.  Michelle didn't give her one, just told her to do it.  And she did.  

It would be interesting to hear from her at the reunion to see if she has gained any self-reflection after watching herself on TV.  Somehow though I doubt Jeff would spend much time on her.  It will be all about FigTayls and Figgy and Taylor and I'm an ordained minister and we brought back Sia to sing your first dance and oh here's Tai who has generously donated some flower arrangements.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Daisy said:

Sandra.

Yep. This episode really drove that home. Someone who's social game should make them enemy #1 but instead everyone loves them. And like you said, she's Sandra but with insane challenge ability. She is so dangerous in this game. I just wonder if enough people will realize it soon enough, like they didn't do with Sandra.

2 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

After Figs called out Michelle as being her close friend when the tribes first came together at the reward challenge, Michelle later told her tribe that she was the one who kept Figs in the game after their first tribal council.  I think that may have been the moment that Michelle's fate was sealed for a future tribal council.

I agree. I thought that was a pretty big mistake on Michelle's part. I mean I'm fairly sure Zeke and Adam already knew she was the driving force behind Figgy staying, but that was just the confirmation they and everyone else needed to see Michelle as a huge strategic threat. Michelle should be one of the first people to go come merge, but I think her game's good enough that she'll be able to avoid it.

2 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

My unpopular, old lady opinion is that I find a lot of the anxiety/panic attack stuff that seems so prevalent today (especially in younger people online - the percentage of kids on Twitter and tumblr having "anxiety" on a daily basis must be staggering lol), to be a total crutch and made up excuse for not dealing with your shit like the rest of us.

Wow.

I don't think it had anything to do with gender or race, but it still sucks that 5 of the first 6 booted were women and 4 (And possibly all 5. I read somewhere that Figgy was Puerto Rican but I don't know if that's true.) of them were WOC.

I continue to enjoy this season. I don't hate anyone. It's insane! And there are several players that I find really interesting even if I'm not sure if I actually like them as people or not. I'm just really looking forward to how this season plays out.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Why couldn't David hear Michelle when everyone else seemed to have no problem?  I also thought Chris was awesome for stepping in and telling Michelle to relay what she wanted him to yell to David.  And Probst - geez, what is his complex with men that aren't built like Colby Donaldson?  He goes above and beyond when pointing out that David cannot physically carry 3 bags of coconuts at the same time like all the other buff dudes.   He sure gets his jollies by picking on the people he perceives as "nerds." 

I was wondering the same thing.  Nobody except for David seemed to have many issues hearing her.  She would yell at him to stop.  He keeps going.  She tells him to turn right.  He keeps going straight.  Maybe he has hearing issues in addition to his inability to swim?  I was surprised they didn't put him as the caller.  I guess maybe he didn't want to do it because he has anxiety and probably would have panicked and screwed it up.

I also fully agree about Jeff.  He has been that way for years.  He is physically and emotionally infatuated with the "young hunks" and slobbers all over them to the point where it is obviously noticeable and a bit embarrassing.  And he is always quick to put down and denigrate the "skinny nerds" and always points out when their physical failings are causing them to lose challenges.  

• Love 6

I don't think Michaela has anything in common with Sandra or Rob.  If you watch most past winners in hindsight, they had amazing and subtle personal skills, in one on one interactions and in group settings.  They would be snarky as hell in confessionals if they felt like it but in camp they treated people with respect, unless it was someone who it suited their game to be contemptuous to, like Russell.  They genuinely appeared sincere at all times with their tribe mates, even when they were lying.  

Michaela has no poker face or inner editor.  Look at her face when she sees that the boys have an idol.  She's pissed and she lets the boys see it.  Why show that?  They're millennials, they're on your side.  Pretend to be happy for them, at least.  Of course they're not going to use it on you if you act like they're your enemy.  

That may all be true, but it doesn't seem to be hurting Michaela at all. These people love her. It's fairly noticeable in the eps themselves, but the extra vids really drive it home. When her tribe mates talk about her it's always positive and filled with praise. Now that could certainly all change, but right now her social game is actually pretty impeccable, as strange as that is to see.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I don't think Michaela has anything in common with Sandra or Rob.  If you watch most past winners in hindsight, they had amazing and subtle personal skills, in one on one interactions and in group settings.  They would be snarky as hell in confessionals if they felt like it but in camp they treated people with respect, unless it was someone who it suited their game to be contemptuous to, like Russell.  They genuinely appeared sincere at all times with their tribe mates, even when they were lying.  

Michaela has no poker face or inner editor.  Look at her face when she sees that the boys have an idol.  She's pissed and she lets the boys see it.  Why show that?  They're millennials, they're on your side.  Pretend to be happy for them, at least.  Of course they're not going to use it on you if you act like they're your enemy.  

I agree.  She is too frank and blunt.  Everything shows on her face, and she tells you flat out what she thinks.  She could still end up doing well in this game, but she's no Rob or Sandra who were strategic masterminds and got others to work with them without them even really knowing.  I would liken Michaela more to Tony Vlachos or Tyson Apostol.  Both of those guys were very open about being in control of the game.  They had power and weren't afraid to let people know it.  They didn't care what people thought of them, because they had strong alliances who had the numbers.  I think back to when Tyson was eating the food at that immunity challenge.  He gave up his chance at immunity because he knew he didn't need it.  And then he gleefully flaunted the food he got in front of the people who were competing.  He licked those chicken bones and rib bones and then flippantly tossed them over his shoulder into the brush.  Was it an ass move?  Yes.  But he didn't need to care, because he was running the game and was never challenged.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ghoulina said:

1 hour ago, simplyme said:

Well, and she told the doc that she couldn't tell if it was panic or dehydration. The thing is, even though you likely KNOW what's going on, you can never be sure. I have anxiety. I've only had one panic attack in my life, but I often find myself in heightened states of anxiety. Sometimes I will get really bad chest pains or have trouble breathing. Most of the time, I know it's just my mind, my anxiety. But there have been times where I legit worry that something is wrong with me. Last summer I was having such trouble breathing and strong pains for weeks on end that I actually went for an EKG. I was fine, and felt like an ass afterward, but sometimes you just don't know. 

I really, really felt for Hannah during this. My first panic attack was coupled by back spasms, and I booked it to the ER convinced I was having a heart attack and kept pleading with the staff, melting down and in hyperventilating tears, to do the EKG again, to test again, because I was so sure something was really wrong with me and I was about to die. When you just feel your body weakening...that's scary! Especially since women's heart attacks don't necessarily present the same way as in men, and "a feeling of impending doom" is one of the legitimate symptoms. It really lets anxiety mess with your mind; we're programmed to listen to our bodies, and it's the worst when your body is baldfaced lying to you. 

And yeah, given that she's in intense heat, low on food and water, getting bitten by all kinds of bugs, I think she had every reason to worry that she was having a real medical crisis, instead of (or combined with) a panic attack. I thought the doctor did a great job of first talking her down and providing reassurances to Hannah first, and then narrating to Jeff/the audience what had happened after. Especially after last season's multi-contestant collapse, I think he's really competent and on the ball.

• Love 5

One possibility regarding David.  I have severe tinnitus.  When someone is talking to me, I have to look at them and focus on them carefully, because I have to hear them over the dentist drilling sound in my head.  When I'm in a room full of people (restaurant, e.g.), all voices come across as the same volume to me, so it's hard to pick out ONE person and listen to them.  I even wear headphones in the movie theater so if anyone around me is talking during the movie, it doesn't distract me from the dialog on screen.  I am also unable to hear certain ranges of tones.  There are definitely some physical reasons why David couldn't hear.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, NYGirl said:

I have to say I held my breath all through that vote.  I thought maybe "Tay and Figgy" got to Adam when they said there's more Millennials left blah blah.  I really like Ken.

I was on edge waiting for that last vote too, glad he didn't fall for the classic "we'll make sure the others don't like you" threat. Going with Gen X is a much better option for him, they're a more fractured group so there are footholds and he was never going to move off the bottom rung with the millennials, especially if Figgy was still there to reunite with Jay and Michelle. 

Also, what better time to remove Figgy than when you're on a tribe with just one other millennial, even if it is Taylor. What can he do to you when he's a voting block of one (and you have Ken there to run interference at camp)? 

Wasn't Ken bottom of his tribe before merge? I don't think Adam's move was smart, Ken's supposed to keep him safe in a merge? Has Adam thought of the Millennial's aligning after the merge and where he'd fall? He'd fall with Ken, who the Gen-X'ers were going to vote out. 

At the rate the GenXers are disappearing (save last night's vote), I don't really think the former pecking order of Gen X is going to be applicable post-merge. Those who are left have been mixed up into new configurations and developing new relationships (like Chris/Zeke). Plus, Ken was on the bottom when that big alliance was intact, now half of its members have gone home or switched sides (Jessica, maybe Chris to the millenials). 

The one big variable here is David, who weeks ago made that comment to Taylor (I think?) at the summit about being willing to screw over his tribe. That may end up being significant at some point. He was on the very bottom of the heap at the time he said it and things have changed a lot since then, so it may end up biting him in the butt. 

The fact that the millennials have a larger number might be more of a hindrance than a help, their old pecking order could resume with the large group stacking back up against Adam and Zeke.

I had a bit of a love-hate thing about Michaela in that challenge.  On one hand, she kept shushing Hannah and bossing her around.  On the other, she had the classic response about the Millennials on the losing tribe which had me laughing.  So...

Eh, I couldn't be mad at her for barking at Hannah even though I've totally been in Hannah's shoes* in a situation like that and it's not fun. But the outcome was too important to worry about feelings, so better to be uncomfortable for 10 mins if it means you get to be worry-free for 3 more days. 

*I've also been the Michaela, where I'm concentrating very hard on doing something and just can't be bothered to adjust my tone to the person who's standing in my way, so I get where she was coming from. She did say "I love Hannah" when Probst tried to add fuel to the fire and they seemed fine with each other after the challenge, so no harm, no foul. 

And her response to Taylor was hilarious. 

Well hopefully now that Figgy is gone the target that she drew on Michelle's back will be lessened.   Tht was one of the more dumber things I have seen on Survivor when they met up at the reward challenge.

I thought she was pretty slick about that back at the camp, "apparently Figgy loves me" was so casually dismissive and conveyed that she wasn't as invested as Figgy (whether she was or not). It's probably better for her that Figgy's gone even if it's one less person for her alliance, Figgy was far too transparent for this game. 

It was a great idea...wasted on a man who apparently can't hear when his eyes are covered. He is very lucky Michelle is that good at puzzles. 

So the Green tribe finally found their Idol. And then we were treated to Jay and Will doing their own rendition of Dude, Where's My Car - Survivor Edition. "Duuuuude." "The Idol, dude." "Duuddde!" "Don't tell anyone, dude". "Dude". 

Then ping! Up pops Michaela. That shit was so comical. I never understand why people pull the Idol out and look at it. Put that shit in your pants! By the time they've found it, they've usually been "gone" for awhile anyway. It stands to reason someone might come looking for them. So tuck it away, and you can pull it out and stare at it some other time. 

RIGHT?? In most cases, I have to hope that it's editing and the person did wait to do their 'hallelujah, I'm saved' moment later (I have a feeling finding the idol means you must do an on-camera reveal at some point), because I will never understand the extreme paranoia of being watched while searching followed by a seemingly interminable 'stop the world, I need to read every last word on this parchment out loud and hold up the idol' interlude.

Alas, I missed the idol finding this time because internet TV SUCKS and randomly cuts out for chunks of time (never, ever during the damn commercials, natch). So Jay has one now? Interesting...

Oh man, how awesome was Figtail's coming out party to their tribe? It was so glorious that everyone already fucking knew; and Ken, especially, killed me with his feigned shock. He even had me going for a minute. But then...."You know, when I'd wake up in the morning and you guys were holding hands, and always staring at each other....I just couldn't figure it out." Bah. He had me rolling. 

He had me going too. There's dry humor and then there's THAT, holy crap. I guess it's also the fact that he's typically so damn serious and has zero affect to his voice. His voice is a big turn-off to me, it's deep but so very flat. 

After Figs called out Michelle as being her close friend when the tribes first came together at the reward challenge, Michelle later told her tribe that she was the one who kept Figs in the game after their first tribal council.  I think that may have been the moment that Michelle's fate was sealed for a future tribal council.  Zeke now knows who orchestrated Mari's ouster and convinced Hannah (who he thought was with him in that vote) and others to form the majority vote that sent Mari home.  It also let Ken and Jess know who the coalition builder for the Millennials is and who they should try to get out in order to make it to the end.  Michelle should have kept it to herself, but there was obviously something bothering her enough about Figs reaction to her that she felt the need to say something.  Therefore, should their tribe return to tribal before the merge, I think Zeke will totally side with Chris and David to vote out Michelle.  

Zeke already knew that was Michelle's doing. Maybe wasn't a great move to let Ken and Jessica know that, but the jury's still out on that. I thought she used a flippant enough tone that it didn't appear that Figgy meant all that much to her, unfortunately Zeke was there to see that and he knows differently.

• Love 4

Michaela reminds me of an old coworker of mine, a 77-year-old woman who told you exactly what she thought. She could be a bit sharp, but she wasn't mean, and I really liked her, possibly because I've dealt with waaay too many passive-aggressive types. You knew where she stood. She wasn't going to pretend to like someone and then talk trash about them behind their back. I think if you give Michaela a few years and some more social experience, that may be how she ends up.

I interpreted David's comment about not winning the challenge with CeCe not as a comment on CeCe's challenge ability, but one on Michelle's versus CeCe's. I think David knows he's no great shakes at challenges, but he was reaffirming to the tribe and Michelle after their win that he knew they made the right choice (between CeCe and Michelle) because they would never have won that challenge with CeCe instead of Michelle.

Also, I love that we have different opinions on players. Makes the discussion more interesting. :)

Aaagh. Italics won't turn off.

Edited by simplyme
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

One possibility regarding David.  I have severe tinnitus.  When someone is talking to me, I have to look at them and focus on them carefully, because I have to hear them over the dentist drilling sound in my head.  When I'm in a room full of people (restaurant, e.g.), all voices come across as the same volume to me, so it's hard to pick out ONE person and listen to them.  I even wear headphones in the movie theater so if anyone around me is talking during the movie, it doesn't distract me from the dialog on screen.  I am also unable to hear certain ranges of tones.  There are definitely some physical reasons why David couldn't hear.

If that's the case, why didn't he say something?  You don't have to assign spots and tasks until after the briefing on what the challenge entails.  If he really does have hearing issues, he should have said something to his tribe.  "I have issues hearing, so it might be better if I am the caller, I'm concerned I won't be able to hear the caller when I am blindfolded".

I guess it could be argued that he might have gotten Figgy and Michelle's voices confused.  But since there is only one "David", there really shouldn't have been confusion.

The other weird thing about the challenge was that after people got their boards, some of them just held them over their heads and waited for directions.  Wouldn't it make sense just to bring the boards somewhere towards the direction of the caller's voice?  I think they knew the table was right in front of the caller.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Wouldn't it make sense just to bring the boards somewhere towards the direction of the caller's voice?  I think they knew the table was right in front of the caller.

Some people value the family jewels more than others? :)

• Love 3

"Power couple." LOL.

Figgy's exit speech was basically: "I was the best. I would have won if I hadn't been voted out in the first third of the game."

I don't know about in terms of Survivor, but Ken would definitely be dangerous in a romantic relationship. When Figgy seemed up for letting Peachy marry her and Taylor and Taylor's response was *blank stare*, Ken's description of what Figgy needed to hear from him was frightening because it was, in some ways, an annoying, mansplaining talk on Here Is What Women Want, but at the same time he was able to sell it because he either is or can successfully fake being empathetic and sensitive and also, well, his face. Almost Don Draper can get away with a lot, and he knows it.

David doing challenges is maybe my favorite Survivor thing ever.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

"Power couple." LOL.

My boys (6&8) asked me to explain what a power couple was. After I did, my six-year-old said, "They're not a power couple. They're just a couple". So true. 

10 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

I don't know about in terms of Survivor, but Ken would definitely be dangerous in a romantic relationship. When Figgy seemed up for letting Peachy marry her and Taylor and Taylor's response was *blank stare*, Ken's description of what Figgy needed to hear from him was frightening because it was, in some ways, an annoying, mansplaining talk on Here Is What Women Want, but at the same time he was able to sell it because he either is or can successfully fake being empathetic and sensitive and also, well, his face. Almost Don Draper can get away with a lot, and he knows it.

I didn't think he was faking anything. I thought this was a more "experienced" male, understanding Figgy's reaction and trying to spell it out of for Taylor - who, frankly, needs his entire life spelled out for him. I found Ken's remarks pretty insightful, actually. 

• Love 8

While there is certainly a successful archetype of the player with a good "social game" (whatever that is) on Survivor, that is not to say that it is the only winning approach. Perhaps this group of people might look at Michaela and see someone who is strong, physical, patient, committed, hard-working, and no-BS -- a what you see is what you get straight-shooter who isn't going to lie to their faces and back stab them.  Perhaps there is value in that, and they'll respect it, especially when she's right (re: the 3 Millennials v the 2 GenXers).  Personally, I have no problem with her "barking" at Hannah; they could not both be controlling the table, and Hannah was breaking Michaela's concentration.  I also don't think it would be such an issue if it were two men trying to get through that part of the challenge. 

I think David's blindfold performance was more about his disorientation and panic and not Michelle's voice. 

14 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Wouldn't it make sense just to bring the boards somewhere towards the direction of the caller's voice?  I think they knew the table was right in front of the caller.

I think it was more an issue of not knowing or remembering what was between them and the table.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, huahaha said:

If Adam had gone with the Millennials until the end, he'd have been at the bottom. Figgy already said, "Anyone who writes down Figgy is gone," and Adam was one of the two who wrote her name down. 

She said that?!  Oh my.

• Love 2

When the teams started doing the maze portion of the challenge, my thought was that you can't have both people control the maze, they will overdo it.  They need to have one person in charge and the other just helping carry the weight.  Michaela instantly realized this, Hannah didn't - neither did the tribe that got there first and finished last.  Could Michaela have done a better/nice/calmer job conveying this? Possibly - there are nicer ways to do it, but Hanna may not have gotten the point.  It is also possible that Michaela was nicer in the early part of the challenge and Hannah didn't get - Challenges get edited too.  

15 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

Michaela killed it again but I think the snarky remark she made to the Millennials on the other team might come back to bite her in the ass later. 

That and her bluntness and why I turned to my husband and said "Michaela has no chance of winning, but I like her.

• Love 9
53 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

LOL! This is a perfect description of Ken. 

David doing challenges is maybe my favorite Survivor thing ever.

Same. I hope his challenge performances continue to provide such great tv.

• Love 4

On if she will get in a showmance if she plays Survivor again:
“Hell no! Looking back when I watch the stuff, and even if the secret scenes that CBS puts up, I see Taylor saying, ‘I don’t care about the million dollars.’ So bro, why didn’t you volunteer your spot like Katniss in the Hunger Games and be like, ‘I volunteer in tribute. I’ll go, because she wants the money.’ You already had the experience! I was Boston Rob. He was Amber. I was the strategist. I wanted to play the game and he just didn’t care. So I was the one thinking for him.”

From that Figgy interview.  That's just painful.  She wanted him to dive on his sword for her?  He didn't even look particularly crushed she got voted out.  

I bet the 'real life situation' was that he had a fiancee or wife or live-in girlfriend back home.  Or he supports Trump.