Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: The After Show

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

I'm wondering if Jana got the tattoo parlor to ensure that she had a storyline on Counting On.  She's been universally liked by the audience, supporters and critics have a soft spot for her, and there has been backlash when the show harasses Jana about courting.  This could be an FU internetz to show that Jana does more than raise her siblings and show that she is a business woman.  The audience could actually get a glimpse of a happy Jana who is accomplishing a dream.  

What would really suck is if she does open the business and the profits go to Jim Bob for giving her the money upfront.  At the very least, she'll be out of the house and not having to run her parents' household.  Wish she was truly independent.  She's worked her whole life and earned that shop even if she doesn't have the actual money to pay for it.

• Love 1

I really wonder what the kidults' taxes look like. Hell, I'd really love a peek at the Dullards', both personal and their "ministry." Aren't they 501C3 status, which should make records public? Why haven't we seen these?

• Love 3

I understand the property is in her name and she has legal control over it.  I mean more of an informal agreement between the two of them that she would pay him back for providing money for the property.  It's all conjecture since we don't have access to their bank statements or how much they earned over the past decade.  I would love for Jana to have actually have had her own money to buy the property and be a means towards independence.  She's also using family as her work crew for renovations.  Does she have that much money to buy the supplies herself even if labor is free?     

• Love 1

I'm sure labor is free for Jana. The boys and Ben are on Boob's payroll. As you noted, there's something in this for Boob; Jana is not allowed to have her own business independent of him. This is based on past Duggar behavior, a sharp difference from the Bates girls. Erin earns an independent income, and Michael talked about opening an Etsy (or equivalent) shop to sell little girls' dresses, albeit not to order. But it's more independent thinking than any Duggar daughter is allowed.

• Love 1

The thing is though, Jana doesn't seem to have any real plan as to what to do with the space. She was wishy washy anytime the producer asked her questions about it. Personally, I don't think she ever had 100k liquid cash to buy a building. Boob bought it and put it in her name, and it will likely be used as a church to lure Cringe and Babe back to Arkansas.

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

The thing is though, Jana doesn't seem to have any real plan as to what to do with the space. She was wishy washy anytime the producer asked her questions about it. Personally, I don't think she ever had 100k liquid cash to buy a building. Boob bought it and put it in her name, and it will likely be used as a church to lure Cringe and Babe back to Arkansas.

I love Jana like the next guy, but straight up.. if she independently had 100K to pay for real estate at the age of 26 or whatever she is, with no confirmed/verified education or history of paid work, I'm likely going to just hang myself out back *.

*30+ years of working full time and nervously eyeing pension fund.

• Love 20

Jana is suspiciously wishy-washy whenever she is asked any type of personal question, to the point of looking visibly uncomfortable and casting her eyes down so she doesn't have to look the interviewer in the eyes.  Maybe she just doesn't enjoy the spotlight on herself, but I feel like there's something going on with her.  Either she literally has no future plans other than what to cook the Howlers for dinner that night, or she's got a lot going on and she wants to keep it a secret.  

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

I really wonder what the kidults' taxes look like. Hell, I'd really love a peek at the Dullards', both personal and their "ministry." Aren't they 501C3 status, which should make records public? Why haven't we seen these?

A quick search of 990-N (e-postcards) filed in 2015 shows the Dillard Family Ministries.  They can file an e-postcard, rather than a longer 990 (which would give us details) because they had receipts not greater than $50K (both in 2014 and 2015).  It lists Jill as the principal officer, with an address in Little Rock.

• Love 1
On 10/28/2016 at 6:38 PM, CarolMK said:

I hate that the family and their show is glorifying courtship as the superior and holier-than-thou method of preparing for marriage. I'm willing to bet in 20 year's time, there will be at least one or more divorce in their household. Some of the kids will probably live home forever and never marry and will also never be allowed to go out on their own.  I recall reading the Little House books by Laura Ingalls, and even she was allowed to have a "courtship" that didn't involve chaperones and was allowed to go out buggy riding with her husband before marriage. I believe she was 16 and he was 26 when they met. It seemed to work out well as they both lived into their 90's and stayed married. But the Duggars would never admit that any of their methods resulted in failure. 

You read my mind!  I was thinking about Laura Ingalls in relation to the Duggars.  She lived in a much more conservative time and was from a Christian family, and even she was allowed to go out unsupervised with her beau!  She also had both male and female friends in her classmates in school. 

I'm not a huge fan of courtship because reasons, but I think done properly it can work out fine.  What the Duggars do is some weird hybrid of courtship and complete, total control over their children.  The only thing they seem to care about is controlling their kids' precious, precious virginity.  I mean, my husband and I were both virgins when we got married, and I'm all for it.  But we also had about three years of getting to know each other, including a 14-month engagement.  We also finished college and got jobs during that time, so we had a plan for our lives.  The Duggars seem to want their kids to marry the first person who shows interest as quickly as possible so they don't have time to have sex. 

• Love 12
4 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Ugh! That sounds entirely too possible.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Yes, this was my initial thought when I saw the purchase. Jana won't be allowed to run a store. Who would be her accountability partner? Her buddy Josie? *eyeroll*

• Love 2

I'm sorry, I can't keep up with all the posts in these forums...did they ever say which country Jill & Derick were in? The SOS site says they have missions in El Salvador (which is where the family goes together), Honduras, and Guatemala. From the website:

Honduras – The planting of a fellowship work has been initiated and is growing with the appointment of a missionary couple from the El Salvador mission and the purchase of a home.

Guatemala – A ministry that is in its infant stage.  The El Salvador/US church led mission is now seeking to appoint a missionary for a new work.

I thought they were in Guatemala based on photos we saw, but this makes it sound like Honduras? The state department travel warnings are pretty scary for Honduras.

• Love 1
On 11/1/2016 at 2:19 PM, Sew Sumi said:

I'm sure labor is free for Jana. The boys and Ben are on Boob's payroll. As you noted, there's something in this for Boob; Jana is not allowed to have her own business independent of him. This is based on past Duggar behavior, a sharp difference from the Bates girls. Erin earns an independent income, and Michael talked about opening an Etsy (or equivalent) shop to sell little girls' dresses, albeit not to order. But it's more independent thinking than any Duggar daughter is allowed.

I don't think Boob and Mechelle, at this stage of the game, would stand in the way of Jana running some sort of antiques/home decor shop, if it meant a plotline to keep the gravy train show going. It falls into the type of approved career for an unmarried woman in their world -- homey and not requiring higher education, and something she could potentially assist with even if she does get married. 

On 11/1/2016 at 2:57 PM, BitterApple said:

I think the wishy-washiness was producer driven, to keep viewers guessing until next season, but something is already planned and will be a major "plotline" next season. 

On 11/1/2016 at 3:12 PM, MarysWetBar said:

I love Jana like the next guy, but straight up.. if she independently had 100K to pay for real estate at the age of 26 or whatever she is, with no confirmed/verified education or history of paid work, I'm likely going to just hang myself out back *.

*30+ years of working full time and nervously eyeing pension fund.

I'm with you there. As an aspiring writer, it also depresses me when people like them, who have nothing interesting to say and who employ ghost writers, can produce bestsellers based on their names alone. Life really isn't fair but they are paid VERY well for their barely coherent ramblings on camera.

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

I wonder if Jana would have to have an accountability buddy to run the shop. Joy? Well, that would be a problem for Me-chelle, because somebody has to raise her children!

Maybe it would be one or two of the less productive boys...like Jackson or Justin (there is a Justin, isn't there?)

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Definitely not Honduras. I think they went to Spanish school in Guatemala, but settled in El Salvador for the long term, but I'm not 100% on this. 

Thanks, I was confused because I thought someone said they were given a house and were establishing a newish ministry site.

Yes, they did have a house built for them. I think this was in the works months before Joshgate I hit. Remember that one of the previews for the season that never aired was the announcement that they were leaving. It doesn't seem to take them long to put up these structures; Derick has posted pictures of another building going up on the SOS Compound, and they use the missioncationers to pitch in with that (rather than building structures for people who really need them). 

I can't find anything on the SOS site that tells the reader where their Latin American base is, I suppose for security's sake. But I'm leaning toward them being in El Salvador when they went down for the 10 month stint. 

• Love 1

Similar to @birkenstock's post. JB could have purposely put the shop in Jana's name for continued interest in the show, or for tax purposes, or to hide assets, or maybe because even he wonders if Jana will ever get married and he's making her more appealing, or he cares enough to want her to have a potential income if she never marries.

Huge run-on sentence ... tired. My apologies to the grammar aficionados.  

• Love 8
13 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Yes, they did have a house built for them. I think this was in the works months before Joshgate I hit. Remember that one of the previews for the season that never aired was the announcement that they were leaving. It doesn't seem to take them long to put up these structures; Derick has posted pictures of another building going up on the SOS Compound, and they use the missioncationers to pitch in with that (rather than building structures for people who really need them). 

That is despicable.

• Love 4
On 11/1/2016 at 0:17 PM, laurakaye said:

Either she literally has no future plans other than what to cook the Howlers for dinner that night, or she's got a lot going on and she wants to keep it a secret.  

She's afraid she's going to say the wrong thing and pay for it later.

The building in "her name"? Judgment-proof.

• Love 1