Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E12: Rock Of Ages

• Start Topic

Eugh Kelly. What PR? She's just studying and looking bothered. 

I don't think Brandon made Andrea to any research. I think Andrea did the research herself for some stupid reason. I mean she did try to get Brandon not to give up. I guess while it was stupid and Brandon is stupid beyond all reason, he just wanted to stay president because of Josh. Maybe if Alex didn't wear that jean jacket, he would have won. 

Clare and David trolling the internet since '94. 

I remember Donna saying something like in a later episode that she doesn't know who killed the Mockingbird. So it does get worse, a lot worse. Also it wouldn't work that way Donna and Ray. Both should be kicked out. 

Still I guess while I don't like the Stones, it's pretty cool that they did film it during an actual live concert. 

After just watching Walking Dead last night, Brandon and Kelly look way too much like zombies who haven't had fresh meat in a while. Ew. And that shot of the top of Brandon's hair don't! What... IS all that? It's like it shouldn't even be able to hold itself up with all the swirls and cantilevers and whatnot. The worst.

• Love 1

I aknowledge Stones for being groundbreaking and great and all that, but this has got to be the worst product placement EVER. Perhaps The Stones tried to keep a little bit of rock'n'roll cred by insisting on the "the hat is so rock'n'roll that druggies in rehab risk falling of the wagon just by seeing it"-nonsense?
Kelly is really getting worse and worse, and it was annoing even when the show aired the first time.

OMG, I just realised that I once turned down the offer of working at a Stones concert. I should have remembered that it would have given me the opportunity to wear stupid clothes, going back stage when I wanted to and playing Keef's guitars on stage. Instead, I chose working at a Madonna concert where none of those things were possible (and also, she sucked). I obviously fail at concerting.

• Love 1

It saddens me that Val is getting nothing bitchy/scheme-y/fun to do at this point in the season.

I cannot wait for Sarah and Tara to take on Single White Tara, but that's not 'til season six, right? 

Edited by TeeVee329
1 hour ago, Nanna said:

I aknowledge Stones for being groundbreaking and great and all that, but this has got to be the worst product placement EVER. Perhaps The Stones tried to keep a little bit of rock'n'roll cred by insisting on the "the hat is so rock'n'roll that druggies in rehab risk falling of the wagon just by seeing it"-nonsense?

I went to see the Stones on this tour. They sold socks with their logo on the ankle... like, they were normal white tube socks with the tongue embroidered at the top about the size of a dime. I bought a pair just because of how insane that seemed... My point is that apparently at this point in their careers they were firmly in the "cashing in" stage. 

• Love 1

I remember thinking that the Stones were already super old and why would they be touring.  Then again, I blame my music taste on the fact that I had immigrant parents- so I was only familiar with 80s music.   I used to feel really out of it freshman year when kids would talk about 60s/70s music: Rolling Stones, Beatles, Abba, Simon & Garfunkel.  All of which I was clueless.  If it wasn't on Solid Gold or MTV, I didn't know about it. 

I'm working hard to prevent that wit the next generation.  They will know U2 and Beastie Boys. 

I'm surprised no one commented on what THE FUCK Janice was wearing. I mean.. Jesse wore a suit, Brandon wore a suit. And Law Student Janice wears a fucking baby doll dress at what's supposed to be a serious proceeding? When I was in law school, we wore suits for moot court or whenever we had "official" business. And Alex Diaz and his forking Denim Jacket. What, minorities don't know how to dress appropriately? WTF.

I actually liked Val's longer bob (loved the short one too). Very Jo Beth Reynolds. Speaking of Melrose Place, I still say Alison Parker's rehab was more fun than Dylan and the old man. At least Alison got her groove on with a drunk football star.

Kelly - those photos? Bad hair. Too much make up and... cat butt smirk. The random clips in the hair. What in the what now? No. Just, No, show.

Edited by Klaw
spelling is important!
  5 hours ago, Nanna said:

I went to see the Stones on this tour. They sold socks with their logo on the ankle... like, they were normal white tube socks with the tongue embroidered at the top about the size of a dime. I bought a pair just because of how insane that seemed... My point is that apparently at this point in their careers they were firmly in the "cashing in" stage. 

Yeah, that tongue was everywhere for a while. I even thinck my hushand has an alarmclock with it, and he's not a Stones fan. Who knows, maybe he chose a Stones concert to study for his exams and got the clock while at it.

• Love 1

The actress in the screencap with Charley is Julie Cobb, who played the mother in the first season of "Charles in Charge." It may be true that about eighty percent of working actors were on this show at some point during its lengthy run.

• Love 1

The actress in the screencap with Charley is Julie Cobb, who played the mother in the first season of "Charles in Charge." It may be true that about eighty percent of working actors were on this show at some point during its lengthy run.

Speaking of which, I turned on the TV yesterday, and saw Jon Gries making sweet love to some woman. Why has Jon Gries looked the same since being on BH90210? How does a balding head not become more bald in 20-plus years?

• Love 1

"Braille Weekly?" So good!

I can't believe this "should Brandon be president," plot lasted so long. As everyone says every episode, "nobody cares!" And I'll be damned if a school would pay for a flipping court case over it. Don't you have classes to attend, Brandon? 

• Love 2

Brandon's "I could be in a limo with Steve right now" evinced a loud--"Then why aren't you? You clearly don't care!" from me.

Could we put to bed the TV trope of the obnoxious, lived harder than our character, prickly, rehab guy? So, so tired.

One enduring question I have about the hearing--who are those other people in the room as spectators and why are they there? Why? The only ones who want to be there voluntarily are Alex and Janice. Who would go to this meeting for shits and giggles?

• Love 1

Could we put to bed the TV trope of the obnoxious, lived harder than our character, prickly, rehab guy?

That is Dylan in 10 years.

Who would go to this meeting for shits and giggles?

People who dislike Brandon, hoping he would get his comeuppance, even if they were severely disappointed.

23 minutes ago, Cekrypton1 said:

Could we put to bed the TV trope of the obnoxious, lived harder than our character, prickly, rehab guy? So, so tired.

One enduring question I have about the hearing--who are those other people in the room as spectators and why are they there? Why? The only ones who want to be there voluntarily are Alex and Janice. Who would go to this meeting for shits and giggles?

Yes!  I was thinking about his "you're the only one with the juice (WTF) to stand up to me" crap.  What about the group leader who probably is regretting her career choice.  If a guy can be triggered so easily by a hat, then he needs a lot of help. 

As for spectators... maybe they are reporters for "The Condor"? Again... NO ONE CARES.  I don't think I ever voted.   

Brandon didn't even want to be VP running mate let alone President. Just like he didn't want to be newspaper editor or Kelly as the cover girl. I'm getting tired of this douchbag shit of the characters handed something then bitching about it all the while as though it's a hardship. Like their forced to do it because they're obviously THEE BEST  meanwhile the characters who actually show ambition or strive are depicted as sly. 

I like The Rolling Stones. Perhaps even more than the Beatles but never was fan as much as reading up on their lives or influences and recordings etc the way I was about The Doors, who I think are underrated. 

20 hours ago, Sarah D. Bunting said:

Twins! Well, that was my age before LAST March 22, but speaking of "no one cares," hee.

yeah! Add Reese Witherspoon to our list.  I think she's around our age too.  #OnlyICare

All the good times are coming: CultKelly, cokedKelly, rehabKelly, SWF, the disease that kills lovers.  Then, we will get Noah.  My abs are already tightening up thinking of the snarky comments that are to come.

cokedKelly for the win!

Oh my God, look at what she is wearing. Powder blue business suit. Absolutely no 21 year olds in the 90s even knew where to get such a thing. The dichotomy of her wearing that and snorting coke is so great. Unintentionally hilarious, I'm sure, but fun just the same.

• Love 2

The only one out of them who should ever have been wearing a business suit every once in a while was Val, since she was a business major and had to probably present a case study occasionally in her business classes (and you could at least fanwank she was on her way to or from class).

• Love 1

Also, regarding the cock walk: I just assume Brando is just waddling due to his raging case of hemorrhoids and is wearing shin guards because women keep kicking him with their 90s clompy platforms. 

• Love 2

It is hilarious how much time Brandon spends fighting for this unimportant job (or mainly letting others fight for him) considering he never wanted to be president anyway and doesn't show a great interest in it.  Probably just an ego thing and a chance for him to use his unimportant title to bray.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Brandon didn't even want to be VP running mate let alone President. Just like he didn't want to be newspaper editor or Kelly as the cover girl. I'm getting tired of this douchbag shit of the characters handed something then bitching about it all the while as though it's a hardship. Like their forced to do it because they're obviously THEE BEST  meanwhile the characters who actually show ambition or strive are depicted as sly. 

I completely forgot about the editorship that "Call me Gil" gave him.  I guess when you're as wonderful as a Hillster you can't help but have power thrust upon you and it's your cross to bear.  I especially hate how at the end the Charles in Charge girl comes up with a great online idea for Donna's store which they use and then force her out because David dated her. 

2 hours ago, Halo said:

Are we all 42? The story checks out, as that's the approximate age The Gang would be today (not the actors). 

If The Gang didn't magically repeat junior year, they would all be 42-43.  I was class of 92, starting kindergarten in 1980 when I was 5.  Donna at first was a full year older than everyone (having been able to vote in an election) and then somehow didn't age and became the baby of the group.  I know that in CA, the cutoff for public school was mid-December... so some kids could enter KG when they were 4 yrs and 9 months.  I had a roommate who was this and we had to wait FOREVER for her to turn 21. 

I can't believe Luke Perry is only 50... that's just 8 years older.  He seemed ANCIENT when I watched the show. 

• Love 1

When I was a junior, I decided to upgrade my wardrobe from my standard jeans/Haynes beefy t.  I bought a skirt and top from warehouse (precursor to forever 21) and only wore it once.  At EVERY CLASS someone asked if I had a date afterwards since I was so "dressed up".  Granted, this was another CU campus but still.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Halo said:

Are we all 42? The story checks out, as that's the approximate age The Gang would be today (not the actors). 

I turned 42 today. I was the same year in school as the BH90210 gang--high school class of 1993. Bring Memaw her cane, sweetie.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 6

I'm surprised no one commented on what THE FUCK Janice was wearing. I mean.. Jesse wore a suit, Brandon wore a suit. And Law Student Janice wears a fucking baby doll dress at what's supposed to be a serious proceeding? When I was in law school, we wore suits for moot court or whenever we had "official" business. And Alex Diaz and his forking Denim Jacket. What, minorities don't know how to dress appropriately? WTF.

In fairness to Alex and Janice, it's not like anyone actually cares about whether the CU constitution actually delineates the student government's order of succession, so it's not like they needed to dress up for a hearing. 

Donna at first was a full year older than everyone (having been able to vote in an election) and then somehow didn't age and became the baby of the group.

At times Donna appears to have the IQ of a baby, so it makes sense to me that she would de-age to become the "baby" of the group. 

• Love 3

Are we all 42?

Nope. Older than y'all (but not 50!) And because I loved Heathers and ShanDO, I started watching 90210.

To all of you early 40 and under folks - GET OFF MY LAWN!!! 

I love, however, that I am still younger than a lot of the actors... tee hee...

Speaking of age, does anyone know how old the guy who plays Alex Diaz is? I ask because even for the show, he looked old as hell - and they never clarified whether he was a grad student or what. But even for a grad student he looked, like, 35 - not to say you can't be a grad student at 35+ (Hey, Cindy!) but it was just so jarring to me because usually more, ahem, mature students truly would not give a fuck about student government. They would just want to get their degrees and get on with their lives. Even next to Nana Ohndrea he looked ancient.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Tara Ariano said:

I was the same age as the gang before they repeated their junior year, and I will be 42 next month.

1 hour ago, Sarah D. Bunting said:

I am 43 but somehow three years ahead of them in school? 

You two are seriously ruining my fun. The secret game in any pop culture podcast is trying to guess people's ages based on the minutiae of cultural reference points. Now I know, and don't have to guess anymore! I'm 43, by the way, and my running assumption has been pretty accurate so far: Dave's a little older, Tara's a little younger, Sarah's about the same. So. . . Dave's 44, right?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Stowaway said:

You two are seriously ruining my fun. The secret game in any pop culture podcast is trying to guess people's ages based on the minutiae of cultural reference points. Now I know, and don't have to guess anymore! I'm 43, by the way, and my running assumption has been pretty accurate so far: Dave's a little older, Tara's a little younger, Sarah's about the same. So. . . Dave's 44, right?

Nailed it!

• Love 2
On 10/26/2016 at 9:29 AM, AndySmith said:

cokedKelly for the win!

Yay!  Snorting that first line with the check from her crappy dad...sooo soapy!  This is the kind of thing this portion of season 5 is missing!

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1
On 10/26/2016 at 0:27 PM, AndySmith said:

The only one out of them who should ever have been wearing a business suit every once in a while was Val, since she was a business major and had to probably present a case study occasionally in her business classes (and you could at least fanwank she was on her way to or from class).

Val also looked really good in a suit. Val in a suit was about 137x sexier than Donna in anything ever

• Love 2
On 10/30/2016 at 5:22 AM, Petunia13 said:

Val also looked really good in a suit. Val in a suit was about 137x sexier than Donna in anything ever

And with that it hit me. Daddy Spelling okayed stuff and he okayed his daughter dressing up sexy. Gross.

I think Daddy Spelling is  lot like Felice.  There is a comment Felice makes later on to Donna (and I think Ray agrees) that Donna dresses really skimpy.  Perhaps having her as the virgin was the compromise, as Tori wanted to make sure she looked good.

Was it ever established if she had an eating disorder?