Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Ties That Bind

When Riggs and Murtaugh investigate a high-profile case surrounding the murder of a young model, they uncover a vicious secret behind the locked mansion gates of one of LA's wealthiest families. Riggs gets a jolt from his past when he discovers that an old friend of his wife has ties to the case. Back at home, Murtaugh is shocked to hear that his daughter is sending promiscuous photos to her new boyfriend.

On 2016-10-24 at 8:45 AM, deaja said:

Murtaugh is shocked to hear that his daughter is sending promiscuous photos to her new boyfriend.

He really gets a heart attack when she does a condom commercial.....

This episode is now going to air on Saturday, November 5th as it was pre-empted due to the Cubs' magnificent World Series win last night! :)

The online TV listings for this episode also say November 9th. I thought it odd that Fox would air a NEW episode of one of its only new successful shows on the wasteland that is Saturday. (Hence why the networks have given up and show repeats and/or news magazine shows.) To think NBC once had a flourishing Saturday lineup in the '80s with such shows as The Golden Girls and Hunter!

On November 4, 2016 at 2:41 PM, WendyCR72 said:

...To think NBC once had a flourishing Saturday lineup in the '80s with such shows as The Golden Girls and Hunter!

In the 60s it was something like Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color.

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 3:41 PM, WendyCR72 said:

The online TV listings for this episode also say November 9th. I thought it odd that Fox would air a NEW episode of one of its only new successful shows on the wasteland that is Saturday. (Hence why the networks have given up and show repeats and/or news magazine shows.) To think NBC once had a flourishing Saturday lineup in the '80s with such shows as The Golden Girls and Hunter!

How about CBS's having All in the Family, Mash, Mary Tyler Moore, Carol Burnett Show.

Forgot Bob Newhart show...all on one night!

"You go ahead and commit crimes at will babe." Had to be the line of the night.  The Murtaughs are the best.  They should have just gone ahead and killed Sea Dawg and made a date night out of it.

The mystery was fine but mostly I liked the slo mo car jumping scene.  It's pure action stuff.  Also the Riggs and his wife's friend stuff was nice too.

Not a bad episodez

I loved Riggs going all Animal House on the neighboring guy's guitar. Don't mess with Riggs' beauty sleep!

Trish is a great mom and  I love how Roger got her all worked up about what the boyfriend had posted and done, essentially making her forget he and Riggs conned the kid into committing a crime to help them.

And welcome back, incredibly illogical and gravity defying stunts! I've missed you.

6 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I loved Riggs going all Animal House on the neighboring guy's guitar. Don't mess with Riggs' beauty sleep!

Trish is a great mom and  I love how Roger got her all worked up about what the boyfriend had posted and done, essentially making her forget he and Riggs conned the kid into committing a crime to help them.

And welcome back, incredibly illogical and gravity defying stunts! I've missed you.

Can I say how disappointed I was Ginger tripped and fell(even if it was only in service to the illogical and gravity defying stunt)? I was immediately so proud of her for being smart enough to slide them heels off and get to running, only for her to trip on an imaginary stick.

1 hour ago, emma675 said:

I loved Riggs going all Animal House on the neighboring guy's guitar.

It took me a second to parse "Bluto Blutarski" and then I knew what was coming.

So how many women have clonked Daddy Bigbucks with something heavy and run down that street?  And what do they have against sidewalks?  Are native Angelenos really that attuned to cinematic presentation, subconsciously or otherwise?

3 hours ago, Watermelon said:

Can I say how disappointed I was Ginger tripped and fell(even if it was only in service to the illogical and gravity defying stunt)? I was immediately so proud of her for being smart enough to slide them heels off and get to running, only for her to trip on an imaginary stick.

Are there sidewalks in Bel Air? Seems like the lawns go right to the street....

21 hours ago, Watermelon said:

I don't know about you, but when I run away from a man chasing me in a car, i get on the sidewalk. At the very least I run serpentine. 

Like Rickon's doomed run -- we were all yelling "GET BEHIND THE TREE LINE" at the woman running just as we were yelling "ZIG! ZAG! ZIG then ZAG!" at Rickon.  Such foolishness running down the middle of the very thing the car pursuing you was meant to drive upon. Sigh.

On 11/9/2016 at 7:02 PM, Watermelon said:

I don't know about you, but when I run away from a man chasing me in a car, i get on the sidewalk. At the very least I run serpentine. 

Exactly! You can get righteously hit by a car running down the middle of the street. But how many solid objects did those women run past that would have completely impeded a car's progress? Also, a human being has a much better turning radius than a car!

To this point none of the ridiculousness has really stood out to me but Riggs blowing up a car with a single shot in such a way that it rockets over the head of the woman he's trying to protect... that was some bullshit right there. It would have been much more realistic if he used his super Navy SEAL skills to put a precision shot into the driver's head and the vehicle came to a halt right before hitting the girl.

I am also pretty sure that your smart TV won't network with your phone and pull all the photos off of it unless you put the password in first. And if a young lady is sending sexy selfies to some dude I'd assume she'd password protect them.

Murtagh's son stole the show with his memorizing of the phone number and comment about the male gaze. Murtagh's wife was solid in this too. I love that's tough without being bitchy.

Great music in this episode, particularly that emotional song towards the end. I hope I can track that one down.

Edit, in answer to my own question, Sandra Van Nieuwland, Stop the Clocks.

Edited by dwmarch
Found it!

Finally got around to watching it tonight. I really enjoyed it and I'm so glad to have this show back. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed it. Also, I loved Trish in this. Her and Murtaugh's relationship is divine. And, having everyone in the precinct listen to their conversation was great. I loved everyone's reactions, haha.

On 11/10/2016 at 1:41 PM, Watermelon said:

And she still had time to roll out of the way of the vehicle before Riggs shot it.  

I was a bit confused about her age - she looked barely out of college, if that.  But she was a friend of Miranda? Clayne Crawford looks in his 40s to me most of the time, so it was weird.  Combined with the "if you don't respect your body, the boys won't either" spiel, there was much side-eye going on in my household.

There was a lot of stupid in this episode, and not in an entertaining way. 

Damon Wayans has his moments, but I'm usually cracking up the most at the male boss. 

4 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I was a bit confused about her age - she looked barely out of college, if that.  But she was a friend of Miranda? Clayne Crawford looks in his 40s to me most of the time, so it was weird.

Crawford is 38; not sure how old his character is supposed to be. The actress who plays his wife is 33. The actress playing Rachel is 23. Definitely weird.

I really enjoyed this episode until the end. I just can't believe that girl ran down then middle of the street. I would have been running through people's backyards.

Also, the SUV blowing up/flipping was a little too OTT even for this show.

One thing I didn't like is that Rachel is leaving the show. It was nice to see Riggs interact with someone related/connected to Miranda in a way that didn't bring pain/guilt (like her parents).

I adore all things Murtaugh, especially his scenes with Trish.

On 11/6/2016 at 5:23 PM, shapeshifter said:

In the 60s it was something like Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color.

I don't remember the 60's but I am positive that was a Sunday show in the 70s.

Honestly, this show requires so much suspension of disbelief, I'm more focused on the absurd interrogation technique at the autodealer rather than the randomly exploding and flipping SUV.

Riggs & Murtaugh walk into a car dealership -- they don't show badges, they don't show warrants, they don't provide any information beyond the car type (no timeframe of purchase nothing), they didn't even ask for the manager they just asked the first salesperson who approached, and when he isn't immediately willing or able to provide the info, Riggs endangers his own life, the salesguy's life, the lives of every person on those streets, and the million dollars of property???  WTF???

Like, is basic conversational structure too much to ask for?

Still, it was sufficiently amusing to shrug and watch next week.  Trish really is the best thing about it, though -- whatever they are aiming for with the female detective and ... any subplot they've thrown at her (jealousy with the gang-cop, weird tension with the morgue-guy) is not working.

Edited by dusang
On 11/12/2016 at 11:26 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

Crawford is 38; not sure how old his character is supposed to be. The actress who plays his wife is 33. The actress playing Rachel is 23. Definitely weird.

Standard Navy SEAL applicants must be between 17 - 28 years old. If Riggs joined mid 20's, then being mid 30's today is reasonable. 

On November 13, 2016 at 8:15 PM, Raja said:

I don't remember the 60's but I am positive that was a Sunday show in the 70s.

It was Sunday, but also

...the series was re-dubbed, "Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color", which premiered in September of 1961, and retained that moniker until 1969....
Walt Disney died on December 15, 1966 [Thursday], twelve years after the anthology series premiered. While the broadcast three days after his death...
... The series, retitled, '"The Wonderful World of Disney"', in September 1969, continued to get solid ratings, often in the Top 20, until the mid-1970s...
http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Walt_Disney's_Wonderful_World_of_Color

On 11/9/2016 at 7:02 PM, Watermelon said:

If I had to run barefoot down a street for any reason, it would be on the sidewalk and not the road. Ouch.