Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials/Ads on Alternate Media: aka "Lame Internet Ads"

Kromm
  • Start Topic

Actually we can talk about good ads too, but the "lame" ones might be the most fun to discuss.

Really there's a whole alternate universe of ads and promotions that only (or at least primarily) play on the Internet vs. on TV. Here's a place to talk about them.  Ads tacked onto Games and Mobile Apps. Ads tacked onto Streaming Services (the YouTube ones are far more annoying than they used to be, the Hulu ones used to be too frequent, but actually fairly good quality when free Hulu still existed). Or some other corner of the Internet where you see advertised content that usually isn't on TV.

For example, being subjected constantly to Arnold Schwarzenegger in ads for Mobile Strike. People who only see conventional media likely don't even know this shit exists (there WAS a Superbowl ad, but otherwise I don't think these go anywhere near TV), but it's a daily annoyance in MY life whenever I use Android apps. I am so tired of hearing the phrase "Downloat from da app sta-yawe!"

They DO exist on YouTube though, where you can DELIBERATELY watch them if you want to:

For example,

Actually here's a Mobile Strike ad I've never seen before (because the Arnie ones seem to be the only ones in rotation where I see them).

It's got me... very curious what this ad MEANS. Is it making fun of the plus size women in the ad or taking some position that they're the same as any other Mobile Strike user? The camera is kind of lingering (with slow mo) on bouncing flesh, but am I misinterpreting that as a possible diss?

2 hours ago, Kromm said:

Actually here's a Mobile Strike ad I've never seen before (because the Arnie ones seem to be the only ones in rotation where I see them).

It's got me... very curious what this ad MEANS. Is it making fun of the plus size women in the ad or taking some position that they're the same as any other Mobile Strike user? The camera is kind of lingering (with slow mo) on bouncing flesh, but am I misinterpreting that as a possible diss?

If they were typical hot girls it would be aimed squarely at GamerGate jerks, with a subtext of "ha ha, they aren't really playing - as if! - we just used them to go along with your douchebro fantasies", but as it is it seems to be designed to make their heads explode by turning those expectations upside down - "yeah, non-supermodels play games. (And can be hot). Deal with it."

• Love 1

I just heard two ads on radio that made me wonder if we're undergoing a Great Vowel Shift before our very ears.  One for Coke, where the woman says, "Coke.  Taste the filling."  I know she's saying feeling, but that's not how it sounds.  And then immediately after that, an ad where a woman was talking about "chuddar cheese".

I'm getting really sick of "Me Undees" ads on various Podcasts. It took Sam Bee joking about TrumpCast lamely having to deal with them to get me to crystalize on how annoying the ads are.

Not sure this is the right place but its the closet to the right place I can find.

KFC wins the viral advertising via social media award.

Someone just noticed that KFC only follows 11 people on twitter.

Five Spice Girls and six guys named Herb.

KFC's recipe has eleven herbs and spices.

• LOL 3
  • Love 10

I am getting hammered incessantly by ads online for "This unbelievably tiny company!" regarding car insurance and how they're changing things and I need to know about it, and some variation of a photo of young people standing around wearing the same shirts.  The photos switch between them looking serious, and them smiling.  The company is EverQuote.  I will NEVER buy anything through them (they're like Kayak in that they just help you compare rates across multiple sites) - their ads are that annoying to me.  I even get them on this site as well.

I'm also growing weary of ads for a clickbait site that say "He died and no one said a word" and it's a photo of Chumlee from Pawn Stars, or Zach Roloff from Little People Big World - someone very NOT dead, and I say to myself "THIS is how death rumors get started".

I also get ads during a game I play (because I'm using the free version) that I've seen 4 different version of  - the game looks fun, so I download it, but it's not the game shown on the ad.  I've downloaded the same stupid game 4 times now, and I've since written down the name of the game so I don't do it again, because the actual game isn't fun to me.  I sent them a nastygram as the last version I've seen shows matching words to photos (not part of the gameplay) and there's one that shows a salad, and you match it to a thin woman, and a bag of chips that you match to an overweight woman - asses.  I've started getting another one that looks fun, but I googled the game, and surprise, it's not the same gameplay it shows on the ad.

Edited by funky-rat
Forgot stuff

I keep getting ads for an app called iTranslate, usually on YouTube. There’s 1 version of the ad (which I see most often) which involves a woman telling a Chinese man how to find the city bus. The woman has such a flat, monotonous voice I’m surprised they hired her for the ad.

I keep getting ads on this site and others for some clothing company, where I'd venture everything comes from China.  The ads are pretty much the same - only the outfits change.  It will have one model standing in a pose, and the patterns just change over and over......

When a new ad pops up, it changes the company name, but the style of ad remains the same.  For giggles, I started writing down the names:

Dresslily

Modlily

Liligal

Rotita

Noracora

Rosegal

Socofy (Shoes)

New Chic (Shoes)

Enough already......

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Funny.

I googled both "Noracora" and "Rotita" and get tons of complaints.  Those have now been replaced with Berrylook, Luvy, and something with "comfort" in the name (shoes again).

• Love 2
On 6/3/2019 at 2:53 PM, funky-rat said:

I keep getting ads on this site and others for some clothing company, where I'd venture everything comes from China.  The ads are pretty much the same - only the outfits change.  It will have one model standing in a pose, and the patterns just change over and over......

When a new ad pops up, it changes the company name, but the style of ad remains the same.  For giggles, I started writing down the names:

Dresslily

Modlily

Liligal

Rotita

Noracora

Rosegal

Socofy (Shoes)

New Chic (Shoes)

Enough already......

Oh gawd yes. 

And talk about targeted marketing... when I'm surfing the "My Big Fat Fabulous Life" or "My 600 lb Life" forums, I get ads for Torrid, and Nutrisystem, and Medifast......

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I heard this one on the radio -- Flo, from Progressive, asks about terrycloth.  Who is Terry and why does he have a fabric named after him?  She then says that she should have insurance named after her and she'll call it "Flo-tection", which just makes me think of feminine hygiene products and not car insurance.  I'd call that a fail.

• LOL 15
  • Love 1
44 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I heard this one on the radio -- Flo, from Progressive, asks about terrycloth.  Who is Terry and why does he have a fabric named after him?

Or her. Terry can also be a Theresa, like Terry Farrell on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Well, yes, but I was just quoting the ad.

I kinda figured that, and I'm old enough to remember when "he" was perfectly correct when referring to somebody of unknown gender, so I was just observing a bit of non-PC-ness of the ad. Maybe they should have used some other name, although offhand, I don't know what.

31 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

I kinda figured that, and I'm old enough to remember when "he" was perfectly correct when referring to somebody of unknown gender, so I was just observing a bit of non-PC-ness of the ad. Maybe they should have used some other name, although offhand, I don't know what.

Me, too, on being old enough to remember those times, although I'm getting to the point where remembering anything can be challenging!  🙂  And I think I personally know more female Terrys than male Terrys.  But what else is there besides "terrycloth" that has a person's name plus a commodity like that?  I'm genuinely asking if you (or anyone!) can think of anything else.  I can't, but, again, remembering things is challenging!  LOL

2 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Pat?

• LOL 3
(edited)

Ugh - more China owned "fashion" sites popping up left and right again.  They keep multiplying!  And the names are getting odder.....

Elegchic

Roselinlin

Ninacloak

Newchic (I used to see "New Chic" which was just shoes - this one is clothes)

Sunnymeet

Annie Cloth

Weird.....

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 2

I'm making a game of this now - how many bizarre China-owned crap clothing stores will continue to spring up overnight with super bizarre names. 

New ones:

Jodishop

Wotoba

Popluna

Luvyle

Chiclila

Ostinus

Koselove

Cathybuy

Pinktita

So weird.....

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Sounds like a personal problem...

Indeed it does.  I think it's supposed to be like "Rotita", another one of their names.

They really seem to like the words "Lily/Lili", "Rose", and "Chic".

• Love 3
On 7/19/2019 at 3:52 PM, Jynnan tonnix said:

Must be related to the Rotita which keeps showing up on my Facebook. I always think that one sounds like some sort of salsa or nacho sauce.

It is.  I've been writing down the bizarro names for these sites for a month or two - scroll back and you'll see some of them.  Strange.  And I think they're all the same website, just with different sub-headings.  Google most of the names, and you'll see mostly complaints.

• Love 2
(edited)

I keep getting the same ads and after I looked at reviews it seems they are of terrible quality, really small and look nothing like the pictures. They show up with new names daily in my feed too.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I keep getting the same ads and after I looked at reviews it seems they are of terrible quality, really small and look nothing like the pictures. They show up with new names daily in my feed too.

Yep.  That's pretty much what I found too.

New one today:

Kyrakiss

Yeesh.....

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

Two new ones: Luvilla and joy luv. A new company every day! 

Ooh - I haven't seen those.

I did see these:

Zoyne

Juliehint

And one that started with "Omni" and I thought it sounded like a disease, but it disappeared before I could write it down).

• Love 1

Newest round - I do wish the "omni" one would come back.  Only saw it for a brief moment.

Lazajoy

Ostinus (sounds like a medication)

Pickatop (there was a crown dotting the "i")

Comfyfree (Plus Sizes Available!! - that's a new one for these ads)

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I thought Ostinus was a character in "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum."

Not sure, but I looked the company up, and they have a crap-ton of negative reviews.  All the same complaints at the other companies - poor quality, items don't arrive but they take your money and won't refund, item arrives damaged and they only offer a half refund, etc.

Todays' never-ending revolving door of Chinese clothing companies:

JustFashionNow

Suits Outlets (for men!  lest they feel left out)

MoreChoo

NICOLE --move-- (looks just like that)

Omni(whatever) never did come back.  😕

• Love 3
On 7/10/2019 at 4:20 PM, funky-rat said:

Ugh - more China owned "fashion" sites popping up left and right again.  They keep multiplying!  And the names are getting odder.....

Elegchic

Roselinlin

Ninacloak

Newchic (I used to see "New Chic" which was just shoes - this one is clothes)

Sunnymeet

Annie Cloth

Weird.....

There’s now a YouTube ad for Ninacloak(not a video; it says “Visit Site” underneath the video I’m watching).

On 8/30/2019 at 4:34 PM, Madding crowd said:

I just got Most ta ta- it’s almost like a horror story where the names get creepier and creepier.

LOL.

Over the weekend, I got one on a different site:

WoWCHICS (exactly that way - it was for shoes)

• Love 1