Type keyword(s) to search

Dr. Nate Heywood

• Start Topic

{brought over from my comments made in the Zari episode}

I should have enjoyed 'high Nate' and what led him to that state, but it only amplified all his worst qualities, IMO.  He did his best to make Amaya's problem about himself, as well, by ingesting the root 'for testing'.  This is my biggest problem with the Nate Heywood character:  He's selfish.  He thinks most things are about him, and when they're not, he goes out of his way to involve himself or whines & pouts about it.  Then they (foolishly) go and have Amaya be an enabler by affectionately smiling at his self-serving actions.  Point driven home when he thinks Amaya means him when she says she found a reason to stay, and then his hung-dog look when she goes off to try & keep Zari aboard.  

I endure Nate only because he's part and parcel with the show, but I can't help but truly think (in this case, for the show's sake) that 'addition by subtraction' would work well here.  His historian background and friendship with Ray are Nate's only redeeming qualities, in my eyes.

• Love 3
On 10/24/2017 at 10:34 PM, Miss Dee said:

Like Nate or Hate Nate: you gotta give Zano props; that was mighty hilarious high acting tonight.

The thing I liked most is that it came from a place of concern and helpfulness.  It was pretty clear that Stein wasn't going to be able to see past some kind of scientific solution, whereas Nate was willing to take Amaya at her word and go looking a little further outside the box for something more mystical in nature.  When he found it, he tested it on himself to make sure it was safe.  Once that was done, he took his idea to Amaya and they tried it with the idea that they wouldn't be doing anything much more than sitting quietly in a darkened room.  Except suddenly Nate had to fly the ship high because the Legends are the Legends.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 2

I haven't had actual homemade, fried donuts in 40 years.  If someone wanted to surprise me with them, I would NOT refuse.  (And being from the 40's, I'm willing to bet she had actual lard in that fryer.)

• Love 2

Do doughnuts from farms & farmer's markets count? Because those are amazing. Maybe it's just me & my neck of the woods, but doughnuts/donuts are always a welcome thing. Maybe Nate just needs to expand his mind.

• Love 1

^^ I noticed a definite touch of the Shat in his high scenes, and a little Shat goes a long way. Though I did chuckle a few times, overall it was way Too Much for me (not in the good Ray-with-an-eyepatch-and-goatee way, but in a "tone it down already" kind of way).

On 10/20/2017 at 6:59 PM, kismet said:

I'm also going to throw some blame on Zano. Because as attractive as he is physically, I don't think it makes up for his less than stellar acting choices.

I'm going to be the UO here because I don't find NZ attractive - he's too generic Hollywood muscleman to my eyes. I'd say BR wins out in terms of classic good looks, and hell, DP has such charisma and character that he ranks a lot higher on my list than NZ. But all of that is very secondary to the fact that, IMO, Nate is poorly written and NZ isn't able to elevate the material enough to make me wish for anything other than Nate permanently leaving the Waverider.

Totally agree about Amaya and the donuts, that entire scene made me wish she'd dump the bowl of batter on his head, too.

• Love 1
On 10/26/2017 at 7:58 PM, kismet said:

Do doughnuts from farms & farmer's markets count? Because those are amazing. Maybe it's just me & my neck of the woods, but doughnuts/donuts are always a welcome thing. Maybe Nate just needs to expand his mind.

Sure do... also from apple orchards / cider mills!

• Love 1

While stoned!Nate did genuinely make me laugh during this last episode, I don't actually think Nick Zano acted stoned all that well.  A lot of what happened there was camera tricks.  I noticed this in the circus episode as well.  I really didn't realize for a few seconds that Nate was supposed to be drunk, and I was thinking he was just showing off his powers and blabbing about them all because he was pissed off.  It finally clicked that "oh he's drunk - that's why he's acting this way" but he really wasn't acting drunk.   

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

It finally clicked that "oh he's drunk - that's why he's acting this way" but he really wasn't acting drunk.   

I remember a bit from Battlestar Galactica when Starbuck was drunk.  She didn't slur her words, stumble around or do typical "drunk acting."  She instead said some shitty things to people because her judgement sucked.  Because she was drunk.  And that's actually how a lot of real drunks behave.  Nate didn't look drunk but his judgement was clearly impaired.

Did anyone else think it was rude af when he said Amaya "let herself go". I can't remember if he was drunk or not at that point, but that's no excuse. What a prick!

And I can't believe the writers thought that line was okay to put in.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, teenj12 said:

Did anyone else think it was rude af when he said Amaya "let herself go". I can't remember if he was drunk or not at that point, but that's no excuse. What a prick!

And I can't believe the writers thought that line was okay to put in.

I liked the line.  Nate looked like the self-pitying ass he was as he was clearly having a sour grapes moment and everyone knew that who heard the line.

• Love 2

Sometimes, I feel like the writers are going out of their way to make me dislike Nate.  Other than the hug he gave Ray when he 'came back to life' after they jumped to '88 and his character always throwing out quotable lines, everything he did in Phone Home was borderline despicable.

Having the hots for a teammate's mom, being very vocal and brazen about it, and then going overboard about it while trying to make Amaya jealous.  Not only that, but when Amaya tells him she wants them to be just friends again, he goes out of his way to remind her of their more-than-just-friends past and make it clear that he wants that again.

Get a freaking clue, man.  That she is willing and wants to be friends again is a win.  Take it and maybe slowly rebuild what once was, instead of wanting it all before she's ready.  He's heading towards "that guy" territory;  that guy that the object of attention goes out of their way to avoid because you made your presence undesirable.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, Miss Dee said:

I'd go with "Boy all the Bad Boys Want" - he has chemistry with Leonard, Mick, Eobard....

I think Ray Palmer would fit that better than Nate.  I don't recall any significant scenes that Nate ever had with any of those three.

• Love 1

LOL Crap, I didn't realize it was the Nate thread! I saw "Other Man of Steel" and thought we were talking about Ray because of Brandon Routh!!!

Okay, then I agree with the first suggestion - but I kinda want to petition that we change the Ray thread name too!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, MarkHB said:

How about "Steely Citizen," since the character's comic book name is Citizen Steel?

I thought it was supposed to be "Commander Steel" or was that his grandfather?  Really I don't remember Nate picking a code name.  The thing with LoT is that code names aren't nearly as much of a thing for them as they are for the rest of the Super/Flarrowverse.

The grandfather was Commander Steel; Nate (in the comics) is Citizen Steel.  And I do agree that LoT doesn't use them very often (since their particular situation usually means they don't need them).

2 hours ago, johntfs said:

The thing with LoT is that code names aren't nearly as much of a thing for them as they are for the rest of the Super/Flarrowverse.

No, but the rest of the character threads have a subtitle, so I just thought this should have one.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

No, but the rest of the character threads have a subtitle, so I just thought this should have one.

I think because the other threads were set up by people who liked the characters. This thread I think was just added as basic thread to match the others. Maybe there are Nate fans here that have some ideas.

My suggestion, Dr. Nate Heywood - questionable historian, experienced tag-a-long, role TBD

This one's kind of out there, but....how about Dr Nate Heywood - Space Ranger of Steel? (From when Sara called him "space ranger" in "Zari" - one of my favorite lines.)   Or Dr Nate Haywood - He loves broccoli!  

Ok, my suggestions are getting increasingly silly.  One more, I can't resist.  Dr Nate Haywood - he loves this show!

That's enough.  I'm leaving now.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1

I'm going to be posting thread title polls for Nate, Ray and Zari... keep your eyes peeled and feel free to add more suggestions (but I may not use all of them... I might just pick one e.g. "bro" one to give variety to the poll).

• Love 1
9 hours ago, MarkHB said:

I'm going to be posting thread title polls for Nate, Ray and Zari... keep your eyes peeled and feel free to add more suggestions (but I may not use all of them... I might just pick one e.g. "bro" one to give variety to the poll).

I definitely think Nate's header needs some reference to BRO. :)

For Ray, how about "Ray - the ATOM of Optimism"

Nick Zano live-tweeted tonight's episode, and he confirmed that one of the reasons we haven't seen Nate use his Steel powers more is simply due to budget constraints; apparently, it's a very expensive special effect.  He did joke, however, that "in 2 years we should be able to do it on our iPhones."

• Love 4