Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions Thread

potatoradio
Message added by Lady Calypso

Let's bring the discussion back to Unpopular Opinions about the show.  

• Start Topic

I hate to talk bad about kids but...my UO (and I'm not even sure its that unpopular) is that the actress who plays young Kate, at about age 9(?), is just not very good. The little boys are bringing it (which may be another UO), but her line readings are so flat and dead. She's a cutie pie though so there's that...

• Love 1

I "batch" shows that I like ok, but don't need to watch "live".  I DVR them and watch a "batch" of 2 or 3 on the weekends.  What used to be called "Appointment TV" are the shows that you just can't wait to see live every week, as many people here feel about this show.  

I'm with @queenanne on the entertainment level of this show.  For me, it's above "meh" on the scale, but if it disappeared completely from the network, I don't know that I'd notice right away.  

• Love 3

My UO: I'm not enamored with Jack as World's Greatest Father Evah and I don't find Milo the least bit attractive. I do think the Jack we've met is a great Dad, but no more than other "great TV dads" who sacrifice for their kids and try to make them happy.

What I hope to see more of is why Jack is always in performance mode. Always, always in action mode trying to keep his high-strung wife and three same-age kids from being sad or frustrated or bored or angry. He does not feel comfortable around negative feelings and I'd like to know why.

• Love 14
55 minutes ago, talktoomuch said:

My UO: I'm not enamored with Jack as World's Greatest Father Evah and I don't find Milo the least bit attractive. I do think the Jack we've met is a great Dad, but no more than other "great TV dads" who sacrifice for their kids and try to make them happy.

What I hope to see more of is why Jack is always in performance mode. Always, always in action mode trying to keep his high-strung wife and three same-age kids from being sad or frustrated or bored or angry. He does not feel comfortable around negative feelings and I'd like to know why.

Wait! You don't like Milo taking off his shirt every moment he can get? LOL!!! I think Milo looks like an everyday kind of guy. He looks great clean shave, with a mustache & with the mustache & beard. He rocks it all. Unfortunately, it's Mandy Moore who isn't doing it for me. She works as young Rebecca but she (and, the show) lose me as old Rebecca. The present day storytelling falls flat when Mandy is with the adult kids. I know you can't do much about that but it's my only complaint. Now, about shirtless Milo................

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Wait! You don't like Milo taking off his shirt every moment he can get? LOL!!! I think Milo looks like an everyday kind of guy. He looks great clean shave, with a mustache & with the mustache & beard. He rocks it all. Unfortunately, it's Mandy Moore who isn't doing it for me. She works as young Rebecca but she (and, the show) lose me as old Rebecca. The present day storytelling falls flat when Mandy is with the adult kids. I know you can't do much about that but it's my only complaint. Now, about shirtless Milo................

I love that Milo doesnt look roided, and/or oranage, and/or look like he's had work done.  Most guys in their 20's and 30's in Hollywood and in the real world have at least one of the three.  

• Love 5
On 2016-12-03 at 11:22 AM, Tiger said:

I love that Milo doesnt look roided, and/or oranage, and/or look like he's had work done.  Most guys in their 20's and 30's in Hollywood and in the real world have at least one of the three.  

Hahaha!  But he DOES have a better body than non-celebrities.  I've come to like him...a lot.  I didn't find him attractive AT ALL when he was on Gilmore Girls (original series, not the recent Netflix drop). 

• Love 1

Here are some from last night's episode:

Even though he interrupted their conversation I liked how Miguel made Kate and Rebecca laugh when he was putting up the Snowman in the front yard. He helped break some of the tension between them.

And while I am glad that Randall saved his friend from work's life, I didn't really much care for his friend or find him to be a very sympathetic character. I don't care right now if he stays around or not as a recurring character. 

I liked welcoming Randall his family members significant others into his home, even though they were uninvited. I know that not everyone would be as welcoming to uninvited guests but Randall is such a a gracious host. His home is the best place for everyone to gather for things like the Holidays and celebrations. I liked the scenes at the end that we got of everyone in the family and their guests bonding and enjoying themselves. The Pearson's are a lovely family, regardless of the issues they have with each other.

I don't know how unpopular this is, but I hope they stop using death/threatening to use death so much as a way to move a story along.  A character doesn't need to die/be at death's door every few weeks. Doing too much of that will make the show darker than what it should be, IMO.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 7
7 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

Even though he interrupted their conversation I liked how Miguel made Kate and Rebecca laugh when he was putting up the Snowman in the front yard. He helped break some of the tension between them.

I agree. I'm one of the ones that have been actively against Miguel because I've seen all of his actions as a little vile and suspicious. He's always did something wrong or made me not want to root for him. But this episode is definitely the first where I went "Hey, you made me laugh. Good for you!" and this was the moment that made me rethink my opinion of him. 

9 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

I don't know how unpopular this is, but I hope they stop using death/threatening to use death so much as a way to move a story along.  A character doesn't need to die/be at death's door every few weeks. Doing too much of that will make the show darker than what it should be, IMO.

Agreed. I think that stories can be progressed without the looming presence of death. We already have dying William and dead Jack. We don't need dead/dying Toby for Kate's story to move forward.

• Love 1

I haven't read the entire thread yet, so I'm not sure how big a UO this is..but I don't mind Toby. For everything he has done that makes my eyes roll or make me want to slap him, Kate has done the same.  Granted he is rather obnoxious, but I always figured that it was a facade to hide his insecurity.  And after we saw his backstory with his ex , I can definitely see where he has some stuff going on in his head where it would manifest as obnoxious  or controlling behavior .  I missed the part where he came into the home with gifts for the girls and called them by name.   That you showed me that he cared enough about Kate to at least try to get to know her family.

yea,  although coming across the country to an ex's family gathering  can be seen as rude,  I took it to be that Toby was very serious about winning Kate back  and was willing to travel a great distance and risk his heart being broken when he showed up. (No pun intended) If Kate really , truly did not want him there , she could've taken him aside and told him so. He really laid it on the line . 

I actually was very sad to see him collapse. But honestly that was the most realistic  and dramatic collapse  I think I've seen in many years on TV . 

Edited by neuromom
  • Love 4

UO: I want Kevin's play to be a success.

I know most plays fail and acting is a tough profession, but I don't really enjoy watching shows where actors constantly fail. He doesn't have to win a Tony, but making their money back as a steppingstone to him becoming a better actor and person (and success for Sloane) would be nice. Plus, it would show up Olivia and the nasty director from the Mannie.

• Love 19

This show is trying to be like Parenthood and I am just not feeling it.  I felt that the Parenthood characters were all real people.  I don't feel that way at all about the TIU characters.  Randall is too over the top and Kevin is not believable.  Kate is probably the most normal person on the show.  If William really wanted to find Randall he may have been able to given that Randall found him. I have a hard time watching shows that aren't true to life.   I can accept some exaggeration, but the extremes here are too much.

• Love 3

One of my VERY unpopular opinions is that the writing is not great. WAY too much focus on quickly getting to the next un-natural tear-jerker moment, future gif, quotable line, or monologue. Lazy relationship writing. Too quick resolutions--I can't believe I read from Dan Fogelman in an interview that they were going to initially have Randall be over the Rebecca issue in the Last Christmas episode--one whole episode later!! Life changing realizations that happen in a matter of seconds. Supporting characters used simply to move the plot along or make other characters beloved. Jack being written the way he currently is so that when they provide another omgtwist that is supposed to make him not the saviour, nobody will really care. Rebecca as the cause of what are considered huge issues in the lives of her children even though flashbacks show her as a good mother. False sense that dramatic moments are coming only to be dropped later that episode or by the next episode. Characters with not enough personality. I agree, Dminches that alot is not true to life even though this is one of the show's biggest claims...and I can feel it not in the way intended with some of the dialogue. It's very...look at how freakin REAL we are, which then comes across as not real, if that makes any sense. I guess another way of putting it is that it doesn't feel natural as it should. So yeah...this is all super unpopular. It isn't uncommon for alot of TV shows to have these issues, but because this show has claimed to be above other shows, etc. it makes these flaws really stand out to me. 

• Love 11
4 hours ago, Dminches said:

If William really wanted to find Randall he may have been able to given that Randall found him. I have a hard time watching shows that aren't true to life. 

He maybe/probably could have in real life or in the show, but they wrote around that by having Rebecca insist that he not be part of Randall's life, and he agreed, and kept true to that.  I can buy that, but I can see where others find it too contrived or easy. 

• Love 3

I will agree that the show lacks subtlety.  And it bugs me a bit 

Often times the point they are making is implied by scenes and the actions and can be left unsaid, but they actually say it anyway to the point where I am thinking "OK!!!  I get it!!"

• Love 6
9 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Often times the point they are making is implied by scenes and the actions and can be left unsaid, but they actually say it anyway to the point where I am thinking "OK!!!  I get it!!"

And then they post a pretentious after show in case you really didn't get it

• Love 14
9 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I hate how Jack explained every single thing for Randall regarding the Rebecca situation during his hallucination. I'm assuming that was so that we could hurry up and get to the forgiveness part. Forget the road to getting there. 

I also didn't care for little Kevin's speech at the pool. It didn't ring true that a child would articulate the situation that way. 

10 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I agree.  I feel like the show is like eating Karo syrup, and I'm more of a greek yogurt fan.  It used to bug me in Scandal that there was a big dramatic monolog or two every episode.  This show seems like in every scene, practically, someone's monologing for the sake of monologing.  Or being treacly sweet like Rebecca with the stupid branch and the saying they had to keep repeating throughout the show.  The monolog's have to be at least somewhat rare to have effect due to their length.  And the folksy charm stuff has to be charming or clever. "Nothing bad ever happens on Christmas Eve", something bad happens.... lame.

It's ironic because I feel like one of the shows that Dan Fogelman was taking a shot at was Scandal, basically Shonda shows in general, for being too dark, cynical, etc. But I feel some of the inspiration comes from her. Scandal really made popular the whole OMG shocking twisty moments, especially happening at the ends of episodes. And of course the monologues. 

• Love 2
On 12/8/2016 at 1:37 PM, Dminches said:

This show is trying to be like Parenthood and I am just not feeling it.  I felt that the Parenthood characters were all real people.  I don't feel that way at all about the TIU characters.

I think I like TIU more than you do, but I definitely continue to think it's a "poor man's Parenthood", rather than the other way around as most in the threads seem to think.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, HeyThere83 said:

I hate how Jack explained every single thing for Randall regarding the Rebecca situation during his hallucination. I'm assuming that was so that we could hurry up and get to the forgiveness part. Forget the road to getting there. 

I also didn't care for little Kevin's speech at the pool. It didn't ring true that a child would articulate the situation that way. 

It's ironic because I feel like one of the shows that Dan Fogelman was taking a shot at was Scandal, basically Shonda shows in general, for being too dark, cynical, etc. But I feel some of the inspiration comes from her. Scandal really made popular the whole OMG shocking twisty moments, especially happening at the ends of episodes. And of course the monologues. 

The pool situation speech of young Kevin is one that specifically came to mind for me as being unnecessary.  It was all pretty well laid out in the scenes without him saying it. 

On the other hand, I really did like his (or current day Kevin, not younger Kevin) monologue about the abstract picture he made explaining the influence of ones life on those around them, even after death.  That is probably the highlight of the season for me. 

Its a mixed bag. 

• Love 1

I think I'm out.  I like this show scene by scene the but the whole of it kind of sucks.  It's all TOO MUCH.  A little editing would help tremendously.  I don't mind ambitious but let's break this down:  one burst appendix, one car crash, one suicide attempt, one (very sweet) reconciliation in a public setting, and one massive heart attack with table crash.  Too much.  I adore Brown and Hartley is very charming.  I love that he casually helps out his friend/colleague and he's a total sweetheart at the dinner.  A normal guest (unlike Olivia).  I love that Randall apparently has major hotline crisis skills (must admit I always wish people would just tackle a jumper but in all fairness they were about the same size and Randall hasn't been shown to be all that athletic, HS sports aside).  

On the episode thread everyone keeps talking about how these people seem so "real" to them.  Really!  I've had drama in my family but it's one person at a time.  Nobody has ever talked someone off a building AND finds out his newly found dad is also gay, AND suddenly has a full house of people on Christmas Eve when he was expecting four (maybe five with William).  This show has too many "ands".  And it seems to be getting worse.  

It makes me mad because at least three of these actors deserve better than the crap producers are giving them.  Or whomever is responsible for editing and storyline.  And man it could be fixed so easily, but I suspect it is a hit because it is so saccharine and obvious.

• Love 9

Unfortunately, not everyone is all that perceptive. So scripts often play to the least common denominator. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, jeansheridan said:

On the episode thread everyone keeps talking about how these people seem so "real" to them.  Really!  I've had drama in my family but it's one person at a time.  Nobody has ever talked someone off a building AND finds out his newly found dad is also gay, AND suddenly has a full house of people on Christmas Eve when he was expecting four (maybe five with William).  This show has too many "ands".  And it seems to be getting worse.  

I get this. I'm a huge fan of the show, as it's the ONLY freshman show I've stuck around to watch, but this is understandable. I think all families have degrees of drama, so it obviously depends on people's experiences. I'm glad that Randall and Beth have a stable family situation for the most part, but I'm personally getting tired with all the perfect situations Randall and William keep getting. They're made to look like saints, even with their flaws. Randall's a hard worker and successful and he's definitely had his own sets of struggles, but he's getting too much air time that I feel like I need less Randall. Also, less William because apparently HE can do no wrong. Everyone dismisses his actions. We've seen him be good and pure. We've heard that he's been a drug addict and he left his boyfriend and all of these things, but what we see is much different than what we know of William. 

And that's why Randall and his biological father feels like I'm trudging through mud. As much as I like a stable environment, I think I need a break from Randall and William and their family stuff. It feels like we get so much more on them. Look at the flashbacks, where the majority of the stories have been about Randall. There's far less stories on young Kate, and even fewer with young Kevin. 

So, the second half needs to take a break from Randall and put more emphasis on Kevin and Kate. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

So, the second half needs to take a break from Randall and put more emphasis on Kevin and Kate. 

I may find Randall and his family the most interesting, but I kind of agree with this.  Randall's situation has the most dramatic possibilities to hook people in, I think, but it can't be too much of him and not enough of the others.  Maybe the second half will deal more with Kate and Kevin, and at the end of the season William dies, and/or we find out how Jack died.

If the showrunners are listening to the critics, you're going to be disappointed.  A lot of them are ambivalent about the show overall, but they say things like "I would watch the 'Randall Show' all day long".  Personally, I'd like to see more of Kevin in particular, about the same of Randall or a little less, and less of Kate.

18 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The pool situation speech of young Kevin is one that specifically came to mind for me as being unnecessary.  It was all pretty well laid out in the scenes without him saying it. 

On the other hand, I really did like his (or current day Kevin, not younger Kevin) monologue about the abstract picture he made explaining the influence of ones life on those around them, even after death.  That is probably the highlight of the season for me. 

Its a mixed bag. 

Well said.  There have been some things William has said that were lovely as well.  But I agree with you about the "spelling out" of things.  That is a "network notes" deal, as I understand it (more on that below in response to Mojito).

14 hours ago, jeansheridan said:

I love that Randall apparently has major hotline crisis skills (must admit I always wish people would just tackle a jumper but in all fairness they were about the same size and Randall hasn't been shown to be all that athletic, HS sports aside).  

LOL, I gotta push back on this one.  Not only was he an athletic linebacker as a football player (a position whose main job is to tackle people), he has been shown to be very athletic as an adult: running farther and faster than the also-athletic rival brother Kevin, for instance.

13 hours ago, mojito said:

Unfortunately, not everyone is all that perceptive. So scripts often play to the least common denominator. 

Yeah, I read an interview with Noah Hawley (can't find it on Google now, alas) in which he talked about how he hated the network requirements during his years of writing for Bones.  He said (probably exaggerating slightly) that he had to have characters say "I'm going to do X because of motivation Y", then show them doing X, then have them explain afterward "I did X because of motivation Y."  It drove him crazy.  But on FX, where he made the critically beloved (and, I agree, awesome) series Fargo, that rule doesn't apply.  So it's a major network rule of sorts, which is why you see critics like the Hollywood Reporter's Tim Goodman make separate year-end lists for cable/streaming and network, because it's just kind of unfair to judge them against each other.  I guess with a broader audience, you get more people who aren't mentally swift enough to follow subtleties?  I think network shows are also more likely to be watched by "laundry folders" who (even if they are otherwise perspicacious) aren't going to be able to follow the plot if it's not spelled out multiple times.

Edited by SlackerInc
Italicized a show's name
  • Love 5

Those are great points.  I'm so much happier with cable/streaming/British shows I should just live there but I guess part of me also likes the network junk food I can non-watch while cooking dinner.  Then complain about the anvils when I'm sitting and just watching.  

Plus there isn't much discussion here of those other shows, often.  And they're the ones you really want to discuss.  

All of which is why I am still amazed NBC greenlighted three seasons of the fever dream that was Hannibal.  I am grateful but shocked.  And of course it tanked (and given it was a hothouse flower sort of show 39 episodes was probably enough).  

I am watching Parenthood now so I can see the comparisons to This Is Us.  Parenthood has its own sentimental style too but it feels less overtly twisty and dramatic.  I know that show struggled for ratings but This Is Us is a genuine hit.  I wonder why?  Timing I guess.  

• Love 2

Parenthood didn't really struggle that bad if you keep in mind that it's always "compared to what"?  On CBS with those numbers it would have been axed immediately.  But it was consistently one of NBC's most watched hourlong scripted dramas.  It was no powerhouse, but it was a consistent performer, doing better than most anything else they came up with outside of football and reality shows like "The Voice".

10 hours ago, SlackerInc said:

But on FX, where he made the critically beloved (and, I agree, awesome) series Fargo, that rule doesn't apply. 

This is interesting, because one of the few things I disliked about the second season of Fargo was Mike Milligan's monologues, which were lengthy stories designed to get the viewer to understand....something.....but were so long that the point, at least for me, got lost.  I felt that it could have been achieved in other less boring ways.

• Love 1
On November 10, 2016 at 11:31 AM, ZeroDiscipline said:

I feel like having kids of different ages is a different kind of "hard" than having three 8 year olds all at the same time. I totally agree with the original posters point. But it's all hard, kids are pretty impossible with all the changing and shifting. I have two of them, five years apart, and new issues crop up seemingly every day. Just when you have a routine that works, and you get comfortable with it, something happens and you throw away all the plans.

I lost a couple of babies, we applied to adopt. Then I became pregnant. We continued with the adoption and got 2 sisters just 12 months apart. The older sister was 7 weeks young than the son I gave birth to. So, 3 in 12 months. It was extremely difficult until about age 3. I was a SAHM at the time. The up side was they were doing similar things at the same time. When they all ran cross country and track, we could kind of kill three birds with one stone. We had girl and boy little league, but that's not uncommon. Anyway, when we finished a stage, we were through with that stage. It was easier (and fun) to focus upon that age. Just my thoughts. 

• Love 7
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 3:07 AM, SlackerInc said:

If the showrunners are listening to the critics, you're going to be disappointed.  A lot of them are ambivalent about the show overall, but they say things like "I would watch the 'Randall Show' all day long".  Personally, I'd like to see more of Kevin in particular, about the same of Randall or a little less, and less of Kate.

Well said.  There have been some things William has said that were lovely as well.  But I agree with you about the "spelling out" of things.  That is a "network notes" deal, as I understand it (more on that below in response to Mojito).

LOL, I gotta push back on this one.  Not only was he an athletic linebacker as a football player (a position whose main job is to tackle people), he has been shown to be very athletic as an adult: running farther and faster than the also-athletic rival brother Kevin, for instance.

Yeah, I read an interview with Noah Hawley (can't find it on Google now, alas) in which he talked about how he hated the network requirements during his years of writing for Bones.  He said (probably exaggerating slightly) that he had to have characters say "I'm going to do X because of motivation Y", then show them doing X, then have them explain afterward "I did X because of motivation Y."  It drove him crazy.  But on FX, where he made the critically beloved (and, I agree, awesome) series Fargo, that rule doesn't apply.  So it's a major network rule of sorts, which is why you see critics like the Hollywood Reporter's Tim Goodman make separate year-end lists for cable/streaming and network, because it's just kind of unfair to judge them against each other.  I guess with a broader audience, you get more people who aren't mentally swift enough to follow subtleties?  I think network shows are also more likely to be watched by "laundry folders" who (even if they are otherwise perspicacious) aren't going to be able to follow the plot if it's not spelled out multiple times.

This explains then why all the best dramas I enjoy are on cable. 

It reminds me of Its Always Sunny....., Mac does this exact thing when they are making their Lethal Weapon sequels. But for comedic effect, its very funny. 

• Love 1

I am not usually a cynic, but the only thing that will make the William "drug addict to Nobel prize contender in 60 seconds flat" storyline bearable is if Randall sees two unknown adults at William's hospital room or even funeral, only to discover they are other children William fathered later on in life.  Then, as Randall waxes eloquently about William fighting bus discrimination, they can laugh that Dad was in jail for possession with intent to sell that year.  Or Randall speaks regretfully about the missed Christmases only to have them reminisce about the Christmas Dad stole their gifts to get high that night.  That seems more realistic than the St. William we've gotten so far.

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I am not usually a cynic, but the only thing that will make the William "drug addict to Nobel prize contender in 60 seconds flat" storyline bearable is if Randall sees two unknown adults at William's hospital room or even funeral, only to discover they are other children William fathered later on in life.  Then, as Randall waxes eloquently about William fighting bus discrimination, they can laugh that Dad was in jail for possession with intent to sell that year.  Or Randall speaks regretfully about the missed Christmases only to have them reminisce about the Christmas Dad stole their gifts to get high that night.  That seems more realistic than the St. William we've gotten so far.

I feel like they injected a dose of realism in the Christmas episode where we find out William just disappeared on Jesse, with no explanation at all.  A pretty shitty thing to do.  Of course now Jesse takes on a halo by letting bygones be bygones and wanting to spend William's last days with him.  They do a lot of shorthand, quick turnarounds, that's the part I find unrealistic.  In real life people don't do that.  There would be some period of indecision on Jesse's part as to what to do, because he didn't expect to see William that night or ever again, and said he went way off course when William ditched. 

• Love 5
On 10/26/2016 at 2:01 PM, Neurochick said:

I put this in the last thread, but it's a pretty UO around here so: 

I don't think Toby is evil or horrible, his boundaries are just different.  People don't always have the same types of boundaries, some are lower than others.  In some homes, people talk while watching TV, in others they don't; neither way is wrong, just not the way YOU might do things.  I don't think Toby gives off a stalkerish vibe or anything sinister, his boundaries are just different.  That doesn't mean Kate should date him though; if someone can't respect your boundaries, that can break a relationship.

I don't hate Toby either. I think he's genuine and well meaning  but, like you said, has different boundaries. So that's not going to work for Kate. 

On 10/25/2016 at 10:16 PM, BuckeyeLou said:

Mandy Moore is doing a great job as Rebecca, I too, want to know what makes her 'tick" and why she is afraid to have children.  And I too like Justin Hartley, he's got an easy charm about him, slightly goofy & he's handsome :)

I could be remembering wrong but I thought she didn't want to have children because she liked things as they were. I didn't get that she was afraid to have children. But I could be wrong. 

• Love 1
On 10/28/2016 at 5:01 PM, Winston9-DT3 said:

Plus the whole impetus of that decision was so Rebecca didn't have to worry about potentially losing the boy.  What does she have to worry about now?  

Losing the adult son. 

She knew Randall would be angry at her for lying to him. And as we saw in later episodes, she was right. 

• Love 2

My UO: I'm not enamored with Jack as World's Greatest Father Evah and I don't find Milo the least bit attractive.

Sing it, sister. Short stature, bulky muscles, hairless chest, long greasy haircut, and pornstache…it’s like Jack is a combo of everything I find visually unappealing in a man, hah. Jack himself is a good dad. Big whoop.

These are some of the most “unreal” characters in a recent hit TV show I’ve seen. It’s basically Shonda Rhimes lite. Dumb dramatic monologues and nonstop personal drama.

• Love 6
18 hours ago, CleoCaesar said:

Sing it, sister. Short stature, bulky muscles, hairless chest, long greasy haircut, and pornstache…it’s like Jack is a combo of everything I find visually unappealing in a man, hah. Jack himself is a good dad. Big whoop.

Per Google, Milo is 5'9", which probably means he is actually 5'7" as actors and athletes typically give themselves an extra two inches on average.   And that's actually right in line with the average male's height.  It's not Milo, nor other guy's, fault that he is considered by some to he "short". 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Per Google, Milo is 5'9", which probably means he is actually 5'7" as actors and athletes typically give themselves an extra two inches on average.   And that's actually right in line with the average male's height.  It's not Milo, nor other guy's, fault that he is considered by some to he "short". 

Two inches, huh?  Then Tom Cruise is 5'5"!  Do women lie as much?  If so, I can claim to be nearly 5'4"

6 hours ago, Tiger said:

Where is 5'7" average male height?  In the US, it's 5'9.5".  

I don't think anyone said it's his fault.  Someone said that he's not her/his type.  

14 hours ago, PRgal said:

Two inches, huh?  Then Tom Cruise is 5'5"!  Do women lie as much?  If so, I can claim to be nearly 5'4"

In Hollywood actresses are more likely to lie when they are tall and shave off not add to the height so they won't be dismissed simply because someone sees a number on their resume. 

• Love 1
On December 24, 2016 at 6:32 AM, Tiger said:

I've seen Milo in person and he is actually about 5'9'' and extremely good looking. 

• Love 2
On 12/3/2016 at 10:03 AM, talktoomuch said:

I agree.  I suspect though that the show is building himself up to be the greatest ever and then they'll show he had a sleazy side as well as a skirt chaser.  Which of course, they'll make it seem like he was driven to that by his high stress wife.

• Love 4

Unpopular opinion: Toby lived.

He bugs. He tries to carry on a conversation during a football game (I'd have booted his ass right there), he eats fattening foods in front of a severely morbidly obese woman who is trying to diet for health, not just her vanity, and he's JUST. FUCKING. ANNOYING. 

And Randall is too pushy. If his father doesn't want to stay there and have two little girls witness a man DIE FROM CANCER, which is not neat and tidy, or pretty, let him go into a nursing home or hospice.  "This is your home, die here." No. Think of your girls, not what you missed out on. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Unpopular opinion: Toby lived.

He bugs. He tries to carry on a conversation during a football game (I'd have booted his ass right there), he eats fattening foods in front of a severely morbidly obese woman who is trying to diet for health, not just her vanity, and he's JUST. FUCKING. ANNOYING. 

And Randall is too pushy. If his father doesn't want to stay there and have two little girls witness a man DIE FROM CANCER, which is not neat and tidy, or pretty, let him go into a nursing home or hospice.  "This is your home, die here." No. Think of your girls, not what you missed out on. 

I think everyone on this show is self-centered, with the notable exceptions of \ Beth, Jack, and Rebecca*. Not that the other characters are horrible people, but they tend to focus on What I Want, What I Need. And they don't consider other people's feelings until after they've said or done something that benefits their own desires. 

*Beth, Jack, and Rebecca usually focus on listening to other people's needs and responding accordingly. Of course, Rebecca not telling Randall about William is one glaring exception. But in flashbacks, she thinks and talks about what the triplets want, what the triplets need as they're growing up, what her mother will think and say, whether the doctor has someone by his side before surgery, and in the present, what Det. Esposito needs (I'm blanking on his name). Beth has opinions and feelings, sure, but when it comes down to it, her priority is taking care of Randall and her daughters. But now she also keeps tabs on William's and Kevin's lives and seems to care about what they're doing. Jack has been written to be Super-Dad--he's always aware of what his kids want and need, he sacrifices his dreams for his family, he gets his wife the apartment she wants even though it stretches their budget, he was also invested in being there at the bedside of the doctor, and he creates great Thanksgiving dinners from nothing. Will we ever see him turn into the neglectful, borderline alcoholic father we saw in an earlier epsiode? That plot line might have been dropped. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 1