Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions Thread

potatoradio
Message added by Lady Calypso

Let's bring the discussion back to Unpopular Opinions about the show.  

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, debraran said:

If numbers were listed and I'm sure Jack's was, you can call information to get most numbers (up to 3 if I remember correctly) : )  And who knows, he worked with Miguel, maybe he knew him too.  I'd like him to stay with Rebecca or Kevin but Rebecca and Miguel seem a better choice since Kevin has a roommate who might not like it.

Yes, he could have gotten the home address out of a phone book, but he sent the postcards to the workplace first, and I don't know how he would know that except from somebody very close to Jack, but not Miguel I don't think, because Miguel said he knew him for 20 years and not during the Vietnam time.  Miguel also was under the impression Nicky was dead. 

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

Yes, he could have gotten the home address out of a phone book, but he sent the postcards to the workplace first, and I don't know how he would know that except from somebody very close to Jack, but not Miguel I don't think, because Miguel said he knew him for 20 years and not during the Vietnam time.  Miguel also was under the impression Nicky was dead. 

OTOH, it's a TV show and things like that are often not explained.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

Also, I would divorce my spouse the moment they said the words "booberry pie," but that's just me.

While, I can see how that would be highly annoying, it seems like a bad reason to divorce someone over something they say once a year. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 1/24/2019 at 10:34 AM, Blakeston said:

My unpopular opinion is that I really don't care for Randall and Beth's banter anymore.

I used to love the dynamic between them. And the writers clearly still think that the two of them are adorable together. But no matter how hard the actors try, they can't disguise how formulaic and phony their banter is.

It seems like most scenes with them are a variation on the same formula:

Beth: ::clunky exposition::

Randall: ::clunky exposition::

Beth: I'm worried about _____.

Randall: Don't be worried, because you're the best, babe. You're so perfect that nothing bad could possibly happen, because you're Beth Pearson. You have the awesomest sauce in the history of awesomesauce, babe, and I should know, because I'm an expert on awesomesauce. ::continues obsequious, self-serving asskissing::

Beth: That doesn't address my actual concerns at all, but thank you so much, babe. I feel better now! You're still a dork, by the way.

I really, really wish we could just see them talk casually to one another without any fawning or tics or grand pronouncements. The way actual, real-life couples usually do.

Also, I would divorce my spouse the moment they said the words "booberry pie," but that's just me.

Oh my god yes. I was wondering if anyone else noticed how scripted they seem. Couples who are together that long don’t fire off the witty one liners as their primary method of communication.  It stopped being clever long ago and now it legitimately grates.

Edited by Conotocarious
  • Love 20
54 minutes ago, Katy M said:

While, I can see how that would be highly annoying, it seems like a bad reason to divorce someone over something they say once a year. 

I admittedly have a very low tolerance for people who intentionally mispronounce things their entire lives, because they mispronounced them when they were kids, and they think it's still cute.

I knew someone in college who pronounced the word "muscles" as though the "c" wasn't silent (ie, muss-kels), because "it sounds cuter that way!", and I regularly wished for the ability to mute her with a remote control.

• LOL 7
  • Love 9

I get that the whole flashback thing was imperative to the show in the beginning. It set it all up, it worked well enough, not a problem. But it seems now they feel the need to continue with that theme. Creating silly storylines like the Vietnam one so in turn they could create the Jack's brother storyline which was also really boring and annoying. 

Get the idea that they will keep creating stories in the past so it impacts their present in some way? And what was with Indian family allowing them back into their childhood home, like you just allow strangers into your house!

• Love 3

The Songbird Drinks at Midnight (also, at 1am, 2am, 3am….)

And

We Interrupt Your Weekly Pearsoning for a Very Special Supporting Character Backstory

OK, so the gang’s mostly all there with Nicky and Kevin has a plan to save him, but then…

Randall: OK, I gotta bounce. I just remembered I have a wife who lost her job or her mom or her favorite sweater or something.

Kate: Yeah, I’m outtie. I’m pregnant!

Kevin: Everybody hates me!! Nobody ever listens to MY ideas!

Rebecca: I do! Kevin,  I’ve left Miguel behind again so we can have some super special mom/#1 bonding! Oh, goodness, Nicky, you have Jack’s eyes…may I pluck them out and hang them on a chain for my rear view mirror?’

Kevin: *sulks*

Anyway, Nicky is led to the promised land of a VA center, but he says, ‘nah…I like my trailer better.’ And Rebecca gives him some stern talking to about Jack, of course, and Nicky says, again, ‘OK…I’m going back to my trailer now.’  Kevin comes with him to replace a tile in  the ceiling because Nicky has never heard of a stepstool and isn’t tall enough to reach. Or, he’s been too drunk to think anything other than, ‘oh, cool, waterfall….wait, waterfall…there were falls in Nam, right…drink more…whiskey….’

Kevin and a bottle of whiskey have a standoff. Whiskey wins. Kevin takes a slug and stares moodily out of the window of Rebecca’s car. And because the writers think that a character staring moodily out of a window is a new and novel way to jump into a flashback…here we go…

This is Kevin. He is mad. Kevin is mad at dad. Dad is in a bad mood. Dad can’t take Kevin to get his baseball card autographed because mood so his MOM has to take him instead. The blight on this poor kid’s soul! There aren’t enough tears in the world some days.  Anyway, MOM threatens to screw the whole thing up and take them out of line to get lunch but Kevin curls up in a fetal position and screams, ‘you’re the worst mommy in the whole world.’ Rebecca says, ‘OK, fuck you, I’m going to get myself a nice hot Auntie Anne’s cinnamon pretzel while you roll around on this filthy floor. Sucks to be you.’

Rebecca learns that Kevin is actually a rather crafty stalker and wannabe celebrity assistant, having researched the baseball player’s options for entertainment in the new city, should he be traded. Baseball player says, ‘yeah, your kid needs to work on getting me the list of girls and booze and drugs for my after game. Now leave me alone. Brunettes are not my thing, honey.’

Anyway, so we’re back on the addiction roller coaster storyline for Kevin and pretty soon he’ll be telling Zoe the same thing he told Sophie and that ride will come to a complete stop amid tears a-plenty. And then maybe Kevin will move into Nicky’s trailer and they can spend their days swallowing whiskey to mask the pain and patching the ceiling from time to time. I call a spinoff. Two Guys and a Leaky Trailer (but not the fun meth kind of trailer).

Meanwhile, even though she presumably has to fly back to the West Coast, Kate’s in a car with Randall and I guess they can take a jog past their old house (which will be nothing like their old house because crockpot but hey, surely digging in the old DIRT might feel good!). Who needs to worry about changing flight reservations? Silly, silly reality.  Kate is either really moved after meeting Nicky or so daft that after meeting her  Drunk Uncle, Vietnam Vet Version, she starts nattering on about The Sequin Fight. Yes, it needs its own article, it was that EPIC. I’ve been to drag shows, Kate. You don’t know shit about epic sequin fights.

Anyway, the memory stuck in Kate’s peabrain like a piece of KFC gristle in her teeth is something like this: the day (Everyone Hates) Kevin was to get his baseball autograph, St. Greasefire sits home with Randall and Kate instead. Milo has studied Mommie Dearest, the film, and tries his best Dunaway impression and tells them not to make a mess. With sequins and paper and a million other little crafty sparkly things as they make homemade Valentine’s.  Sure, that’ll end well.

For the record, Dunaway in a full face of moisturizer, wielding a wire hanger, is truly legendary, so I’m in no way invested in seeing Milo play tortured Dad.

So, St. Greasefire leaves the kids on their own and goes out to the…garage?...to pump iron. Ooooooh, ladies! Tightie whitey undershirt Milo time!! Me, I’m wondering who the hell pumps iron in JEANS? Where the hell are the zubaz or Richard Simmons shorts? Or even sweatpants? I mean, Kate and Randall? If you see a man doing bicep curls in an undershirt and jeans, you can be assured that he is, at least, a dumbass who should be left to experience a Darwin award by dropping a dumbbell on his head. Hmmmm….maybe that’s how he REALLY died (or asphyxiated himself doing abdominal crunches while wearing jeans) and ain’t nobody going to bring THAT shame to light.

Anyway, maybe because he’s lifting in jeans that cut off his circulation, St. Greasy is crabby now and when he sees a messy table, he….children, hide your eyes, St. Daddy Jack is gonna blow…yells. And throws a plate. My God, Vietnam has no end to its pain.

Oh, yeah, and they ordered pizza. But not just any pizza. It’s a PEARSON pizza. With a topping that everyone likes! Genius!! I’ve never heard of such a thing! Now every Valentine’s day, the Big Three Narcissists order a Pearson Pizza and have a sequin fight after Red Leader dresses up like Jack, puts Nicky’s stabbed out eyes in his head, and yells at them. It’s hawt and full of feelz in thirty minutes or less.

So, Jack has a temper fit and the kids cry and look scared and then Jack starts throwing sequins. Yay! Sparkle! Now, I haven’t made homemade Valentines in a while, so I’m not an expert on the size of sequin dispensers, but good lord almighty, what kind of a VAT do they have that this flinging of sequins goes on for what seems like hours? Or are we now also trapped in Kate’s perfect little pretty pony memory? God help us.

Kate, meanwhile, is still babbling happily about the sequin fight and Randall, desperate to shut her up, decides that stopping by their old house is just the thing.  The random, smiling family now living in the newly constructed house is first, like, ‘um….OK, we’re busy, please go, bye.’ But then their moppet approaches the car with big eyes and asks, winsomely, ‘do you want to see my room?’

Kate says, “It’s not your room, BITCH! It’s MINE! MINE! Sequin fight! Sequin fight!”

Randall, “Kate, I’m an elected official now. Not that you’d ever know it from how little it’s impacting my life, but I’m only allowed a certain number of crazy, broken down relatives, OK?”

So the moppet leads them into the house for a full Pearsoning. The family sends silent pleas for help to the cameras as Randall and Kate wander around and yammer about the Great Sequin Fight. Randall gently breaks it to Katie Girl that, hey, ya know, dad was actually kind of a bastard that day? Kate marvels at this feat of ‘absence makes the heart grow fonder.’ Huh, she thinks, how’d I forget my dad smashing a plate against a wall? Are my traumatic memories so easily suppressed with a shower of sequins? What does that say about me? She then uses this newly acquired wisdom to instruct Tobe Babe that their child will actually have the PERFECT childhood, full of doing whatever said child wants.  Just like….wait for it…St Greasy!

Tobe Babe says, ‘oh, so you want to spoil our kid and make sure it grows up to be like you? Will that finally make you STOP trying to turn me into your daddy-o? Cos, if so, I’m in like Flynn!’

Randall returns home and gives gifts of hotel lotion. Dude. You’re an elected official now. Looks are everything. Don’t give your kids the freebies from the hotel and expect it to be like Christmas, OK?  Although, maybe he also helped himself to the lightbulbs from his hotel room and, first thing, he’s finally going to replace those burned out bulbs in St. William’s old apartment complex to instantly stop crime.

Well. I can totally see why a two-parter was necessary for this Feelz-a-Palooza.  

And let’s just get the next one over with while I’m here.  More wine. More Baked Cheetos (shut up, DON’T JUDGE ME, I have to get my feelz from somewhere and a nice orange powder chased by a pinot gris is about my only option, all right?!)

Ohhhhh kay, it’s time for Supporting Character Filler episode. OK, I’m hoping for the mystery of why in hell Beth puts up with Randall and in-laws with egos that rival a certain president’s, but I’m guessing this is going to be titled something more like, ‘My Name is Beth. I am Helpless Over my Pearsoning.’ “HI, BETH!”

As it turns out, this was actually a nice palate cleanser. I don’t have much to snark on this ep, but I will say that this show has crashed the bar through the floor if the best I can say about the ep that features the most talented actors on this show is that it was OK to watch.  Not the most original story in the world (young dancer has to give up dream because Life), but it is remarkably refreshing to watch an hour of anyone but the Pearsons. I give all credit to the acting and  even these writers can’t screw up with Phylicia Rashad as Tiger Mom. Also, JACK, if you’re watching from heaven in your tightie whities,  THAT is how you parent and support a talented daughter without convincing her that the world should totally stop when she enters the picture because she’s so awesome.  Because, see, we get invested in Beth’s success because we see her WORKING for it.

Also, the anvils were of the lighter variety, which my aching head appreciated after the solid hour of being Wile E. Coyote I just endured. If I didn’t’ know this show, I might have gotten my hopes up that maybe we’d see more of how being  the sole black dancer for a long time in her dance school affected Beth.  But that’s not this show, so Beth magically reconciles her past (with support of her Pearson husband, of course) by waltzing into a dance studio, totally wowing the random teacher/owner who happens to be walking by as Beth freestyles a dance that made me feel guilty about even the baked Cheetos and made my knees hurt. Beth announces, like a goddess on Olympus, “I want to teach!” Well OK, then. That was easy. Make it so. The End.

However, the seeds are there for a spinoff. Ditch the Pearsons, Beth. Be free. You know you want to. I want you to want to. And you don't want me to keep sounding like a Cheap Trick song, do you?

I haven’t seen many promos for this show touting how I MUST WATCH for the amazeballs kick in the feelz lately. Is the hype finally waning? Have they pumped every last ounce of promotion into this mess and are now ready to quietly close the patient on the table and call it? Is it time to harvest whatever viable characters are left in a spinoff? Will it go quietly or will it put up a sequin fight?

Meanwhile, back to hoisting the anvils back into place and regreasing St. Jack’s hair. Next time: sushi and pinot noir, maybe. Guess which I’m looking forward to more? Cheers.

• LOL 5
  • Love 8

Glad to be back here for the snark. Somewhere around episode 6 or 7, I stopped watching, but I finally caught up one wintery weekend (I probably mostly craved the fantasy perfect weather) and then resuming watching more or less on time the past two weeks or so.

This break seriously worked for me, as did the zipping through five or so episodes in two days. Any ridiculousness was more fun than annoyance. I highly recommend this kind of break for shows you've gone lukewarm on but still somehow keep on your radar. Individual episodes are not all that, but it's still fun to catch on, and when you don't like an episode, it's easy to move on to the next one. For me, it was such a perfect break that I'm back all in!

Watching mucho episodes in a row, I saw many instances of the Pearson magic (I mean the monologues) not working anymore, and I hope that continues. Of course, we the had St Jack lose some of his shine, and I hope that continues, so the other characters can finally become real people rather than Pearsons bound to carry the St Jack flag.  

• Love 6

I agree about taking a break.  I did and then sort of caught up recently.  I watched this last episode online On Demand.  Of course, Kate is still no annoying, especially the teen version.  OMG.  She was one coddled child.  No wonder she's like she is today.  And the way her mom kisses up to her......it's embarrassing.  Kate even looked embarrassed by it. lol 

Watching Kate just move around on this show is just so painful.  Then, they have Toby in that pretend he's fat too suit.  It just makes me feel sad.  In this last episode, she did appear to be swollen in the face. I'm guessing fluid retention, but, she's not pregnant in real life, is she?  

• Love 3

I know this might not be the accepted thing to say, but I hope Chrissy takes care of herself and loses some weight.  

I understand how it’s easy to say that you are ok with being obese, I did it myself ! I was morbidly obese . I had to lose 100 lbs . I kept telling myself I was ok , but eventually when Ihit my 40’s,  I really felt it. My joints hurt  . I couldn’t walk without stopping after short distances. I had a very hard time traveling by plane , and I had to sit in chairs that were different than others to accommodate my weight.

I lost 90lbs, not because I hated myself, but because I couldn’t handle being so uncomfortable.

It’s good to see a heavier character as a lead having a normal life and relationship on television.  I think the same message can be made without  Chrissy being morbidly obese .

Chrissy is almost 40 years old , eventually that kind of weight catches up with you . She looks uncomfortable in chairs and seems to have to catch her breath at times during interviews.

I think she’s a pretty woman , it’s not about looks, it’s not even about being overweight.   Most women and men in this country are not at their normal weights. But there is a difference between overweight and obese to a point where you need accommodations to sit and move.   I hope Chrissy eventually does work on losing some weight, I know how hard it is, but I also know it’s a lot harder to live like she is now, because I did do that . 

• Love 22
On 3/20/2019 at 8:12 AM, goldenpuppy said:

I know this might not be the accepted thing to say, but I hope Chrissy takes care of herself and loses some weight.  

I understand how it’s easy to say that you are ok with being obese, I did it myself ! I was morbidly obese . I had to lose 100 lbs . I kept telling myself I was ok , but eventually when Ihit my 40’s,  I really felt it. My joints hurt  . I couldn’t walk without stopping after short distances. I had a very hard time traveling by plane , and I had to sit in chairs that were different than others to accommodate my weight.

I lost 90lbs, not because I hated myself, but because I couldn’t handle being so uncomfortable.

It’s good to see a heavier character as a lead having a normal life and relationship on television.  I think the same message can be made without  Chrissy being morbidly obese .

Chrissy is almost 40 years old , eventually that kind of weight catches up with you . She looks uncomfortable in chairs and seems to have to catch her breath at times during interviews.

I think she’s a pretty woman , it’s not about looks, it’s not even about being overweight.   Most women and men in this country are not at their normal weights. But there is a difference between overweight and obese to a point where you need accommodations to sit and move.   I hope Chrissy eventually does work on losing some weight, I know how hard it is, but I also know it’s a lot harder to live like she is now, because I did do that . 

I don't see how this can be an unpopular opinion; it just makes good rational, common sense.  You've said it very eloquently and with your own experiences to back it up, it just goes to show you how crazy the PC stuff can get.  Also, there's a river in Egypt that is full of visitors basking on the water.

Bottom line:  Morbidly obese people generally do not live a long life and if they get old, there are many health complications that go with it.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

I don't see how this can be an unpopular opinion; it just makes good rational, common sense.  You've said it very eloquently and with your own experiences to back it up, it just goes to show you how crazy the PC stuff can get.  Also, there's a river in Egypt that is full of visitors basking on the water.

Bottom line:  Morbidly obese people generally do not live a long life and if they get old, there are many health complications that go with it.

Thank you ! Unfortunately, anytime someone even expresses concern for Chrissy’s health on Instagram or other sites, they are bashed like crazy!  Responses always are about saying that it’s great she is ok with herself as she is . 

I have a feeling she come to a place where she no longer feels well, and hopefully she will lose some weight to at least be mobile, and also more comfortable.  

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, goldenpuppy said:

Thank you ! Unfortunately, anytime someone even expresses concern for Chrissy’s health on Instagram or other sites, they are bashed like crazy!  Responses always are about saying that it’s great she is ok with herself as she is . 

I have a feeling she come to a place where she no longer feels well, and hopefully she will lose some weight to at least be mobile, and also more comfortable.  

And the crazy thing is that doesn't really happen with any other health problem.  If you were to worry about someone's smoking or drug/alcohol abuse, nobody is going to call you shallow and tell you not to drug-shame.

If someone has cancer and you say you hope that they are able to beat it, people will join in, not tell you that you should embrace them supporting their cancer.  (not the same thing as supporting deciding to end treatment, quality of life thing).  Actually people should just stay out of people's cancer decisions, but still nobody thinks hoping someone beats cancer is a bad thing.

• Love 8
On 3/21/2019 at 12:57 PM, CrystalBlue said:

It makes a lot of sense.  Maybe she is losing weight, it could be happening slowly though.

The issue with weight is that it's not about being PC (which I consider being polite and respectful) but some people equate being overweight with traits that might have nothing to do with a person being overweight.  And I think that's why people say things like, "you're fat shaming."  Because people actually do that, shame people because of their weight.  

• Love 9

I'm coming to the party late, but I'm curious of everyone's 3 least favorite characters?  Please pipe in.  For me...

1.  Rebecca.  I seriously cringe whenever she comes on screen.  The young Rebecca is in a constant state of starry-eyed wonderment & marvel, especially about herself.  Ugh, it's so annoying.  Then the old Rebecca is completely sullen & joyless.  I get it - she lost the love of her life.  Does that mean a person never smiles or acts lighthearted again?  The old Rebecca always looks like she just sucked on a prune.

2.  Kate.  I'm sorry to any Kate fans, but she's annoys me almost as much as Rebecca.  After 40 years she is still stumbling around with no direction.  Now she's a mom, oy vey.  Let's all sit back and see how she screws this up, too.

3.  Jack.  I really loved Jack at first.  I found him charming & sweet.  But now that were in the 3rd season, I've seen him as such asshole.  I realize we are finally seeing his faults, but the writers have revealed so many this season that I can hardly remember those good feelings I once had for him.

There.  I vented.  Thanks.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 3/27/2019 at 5:16 PM, Snewtsie said:

I'm coming to the party late, but I'm curious of everyone's 3 least favorite characters?  Please pipe in.  For me...

1.  Rebecca.  I seriously cringe whenever she comes on screen.  The young Rebecca is in a constant state of starry-eyed wonderment & marvel, especially about herself.  Ugh, it's so annoying.  Then the old Rebecca is completely sullen & joyless.  I get it - she lost the love of her life.  Does that mean a person never smiles or acts lighthearted again?  The old rig

Right now:

1. Randall.  He is being a completely overbearing butthead.

2. Beth.  She is being a completely passive-aggressive butthead.

3. Jack.  Mostly because I think he taught Randall to be a selfish butthead.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

TPTB made a decision to have an obese woman as a main character and now they have chosen to write her asa character who is defined only by her weight and punished constantly for it. I recently watched Shrill and the comparison is so clear. Shrill gives us a complete character who is a great writer and has friends and is fat and has issues with it. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Miasmomma said:

TPTB made a decision to have an obese woman as a main character and now they have chosen to write her asa character who is defined only by her weight and punished constantly for it. I recently watched Shrill and the comparison is so clear. Shrill gives us a complete character who is a great writer and has friends and is fat and has issues with it. 

Did you like Shrill? Next on my list to toggle with Call the Midwife. I read it had more balance than other shows.

I feel TIU wanted Chrissy to lose in the beginning, that wasn't hidden, when she didn't, seemed to gain a bit (but hard to tell with TV and clothes) they made a point of saying that wasn't a contract item anymore. I feel they had to rewrite some things and because of her size, have to be true to some things that might be issues. The writers were honest why they went into her early birth and they didn't want to make it seem like someone over 300 pounds would get pregnant easily and have an easy delivery since many don't. I was saddened to see that Kate harped on it all the time and it factored in everything but there could have been jobs or school or other endeavors that it didn't. Maybe that will come. I know Toby's character was supposed to lose the fat waist in time but I think since Chrissy didn't, they didn't rush it. Now with his depression, he wont be as motivated or maybe he wont eat as much.

The future episodes didn't mention baby Jack, so it will be interesting to see what happens. I never thought about how that wasn't a factor but they didn't mention any of the kids except Tess.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1
(edited)
On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 2:16 PM, Snewtsie said:

1.  Rebecca.  I seriously cringe whenever she comes on screen.  The young Rebecca is in a constant state of starry-eyed wonderment & marvel, especially about herself.  Ugh, it's so annoying.  Then the old Rebecca is completely sullen & joyless.  I get it - she lost the love of her life.  Does that mean a person never smiles or acts lighthearted again?  The old Rebecca always looks like she just sucked on a prune.

2.  Kate.  I'm sorry to any Kate fans, but she's annoys me almost as much as Rebecca.  After 40 years she is still stumbling around with no direction.  Now she's a mom, oy vey.  Let's all sit back and see how she screws this up, too.

3.  Jack.  I really loved Jack at first.  I found him charming & sweet.  But now that were in the 3rd season, I've seen him as such asshole.  I realize we are finally seeing his faults, but the writers have revealed so many this season that I can hardly remember those good feelings I once had for him.

There.  I vented.  Thanks.

My three are the same as yours.  I actually hoped Kate would die in childbirth.  (And I hated Jack from the very beginning.)

Edited by Brookside
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 3/30/2019 at 5:29 PM, Miasmomma said:

From what I have read about Shrill (haven't seen it yet), their writing room had actual fat women in it--Lindy West, Samantha Irby.  I have never gotten the impression that This is Us employs that many female writers let alone ones who are also heavier.  The weakest characters on the show have always been the female ones.  Kate is hugely underdeveloped compared to both Kevin and Randall.  

• Love 5

I find the Pearsons flashback scenes increasingly dull. My eyes glaze over. The characters are not as interesting as the writers seem to think. If their place in the episode is directly linked to something major happening with one of the children, then ok fair enough. But the characters themselves are not interesting enough to demand so much airtime digging through the past with. Season 3 has been noticeably weaker than the previous two seasons. Randall and Beth are interesting characters (also very well acted), but I find most of the rest (Kate, Kevin, Rebecca) are just not that “deep”  and the writers are having to dig hard to keep things fresh- and largely failing to do so.

• Love 5
On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 2:26 PM, Neurochick said:

The issue with weight is that it's not about being PC (which I consider being polite and respectful) but some people equate being overweight with traits that might have nothing to do with a person being overweight

I think that's why so many people are touchy about the subject.  No one would look at someone with cancer and say they really should do something about that because it's just not healthy.

People can't just quit eating the way they can stop smoking or go cold turkey with the booze. Overweight people have to deal with their devil every single day.

Losing weight always seems so easy and doable while in the honeymoon stage of a diet but the fact remains that something like 98% percent regain the weight.  It's like swimming under water, it's so easy at first, but there comes a point where your body screams for air and it will not be denied.

It's my guess that Chrissy has lost and regained fifty pounds a dozen times in the past few years, it just doesn't show much on her. I'm sure she is uncomfortable and her joints probably do hurt, but she may have resigned herself to the situation as it is because she's learned that there really is no permanent cure for her.

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

I can't believe that we haven't seen Kate eating corn sandwiches as part of her devotion to St Jack, Sr.

My mom was in the hospital for a few days when I was that age.  My dad fed us the only thing he knew how to make--hot dogs and baked beans.  Blech.  When he dies, I will not be eating that as a tribute.  The look on her face was as disgusted as the rest when they bit into those sandwiches.  Though, honestly, I don't know how bad they could have been.  It was just bread and corn, right? 

• LOL 1
5 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I think that's why so many people are touchy about the subject.  No one would look at someone with cancer and say they really should do something about that because it's just not healthy.

People can't just quit eating the way they can stop smoking or go cold turkey with the booze. Overweight people have to deal with their devil every single day.

Losing weight always seems so easy and doable while in the honeymoon stage of a diet but the fact remains that something like 98% percent regain the weight.  It's like swimming under water, it's so easy at first, but there comes a point where your body screams for air and it will not be denied.

It's my guess that Chrissy has lost and regained fifty pounds a dozen times in the past few years, it just doesn't show much on her. I'm sure she is uncomfortable and her joints probably do hurt, but she may have resigned herself to the situation as it is because she's learned that there really is no permanent cure for her.

I always think about that because though I am not overweight, I eat mostly unhealthy and I would like to start eating much healthier because I know later on, eating the way I do is going to cause a lot of problems. But changing your eating habits is extremely hard, especially because bad food surrounds us all daily. Whether it's because of holidays, parties, or just because there's unhealthy food everywhere you turn, it's not easy.. so that's what helps me understand how people are so addicted to cigarettes, etc. Being that obese cannot be easy and although for health reasons she should find a way to lose the weight, I can imagine what the daily struggle is like.

• Love 4

I’m really starting to hate this show. I honestly don’t know if I’ll be back for season 4. I’m sick of the corny, sad music that has to play over virtually every scene, and I’m sick of how every character is capable of giving a moving speech that magically sets another character back on the right path. The whole thing is hokey and unbelievable.

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, Blindfox said:

I’m really starting to hate this show. I honestly don’t know if I’ll be back for season 4. I’m sick of the corny, sad music that has to play over virtually every scene, and I’m sick of how every character is capable of giving a moving speech that magically sets another character back on the right path. The whole thing is hokey and unbelievable.

I'm definitely not going to be back. I only watched a few scenes from each episode since Jack was born.  It's just so annoying. Too many speeches.  Too much selfishness.  The only character I like right now is Kevin and I can't say I ever saw that coming.

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, Blindfox said:

Yes. The show is very predictable. One (or all) of the characters have a dilemma and seem like they are on the wrong path.. until someone delivers a monologue, and instantly the person on the wrong path realizes they're wrong... and does a grand gesture. It happens every single episode. Randall and Beth in particular annoy me with this.

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, Blindfox said:

I go along with this but not to the point of maybe not continuing -- I want to see what they do with the possible return of Nicky, and I also think a focus on the next generation, especially Tess and Deja, could be interesting.  Those two young actresses are gold, and there's a lot they could do with them in their new environment, very different from Alpine, NJ.  If they continue with the hokey, speechifying, and lack of realism, then I reconsider.  Which seems to be a formula that works for them ratings-wise. 

• Love 1

I have several (possibly) unpopular opinions about this show.

First off, I think that by now we have learned and seen absolutely everything we ever needed to know about Jack's and Rebecca's relationship/marriage, before and after they had kids. Any more flashbacks to that period of family's life are simply redundant at this point and I'm afraid that if they keep insisting on them, it will only create more retcons (Nicky) or utter nonsense (the family not being able to survive a single night without Rebecca). What does have potential and is still largely unexplored is the aftermath of Jack's death, and I really hope they focus on that in upcoming season(s). If it means letting go of Milo, so be it. His character has already served its purpose, and then some. 

Secondly, I really wish they'd drop the "poor Randall cannot find his place in this world because he was abandoned by his biological father and raised by white people" angle. OK, the circumstances of his early life were highly unusual and they shaped his adult personality traits in many ways, I get that, but at the same time, he could have had it SO MUCH worse. William could have kept him and overdosed when Randall was 3. He could have never been adopted and instead bounced from one shitty foster home to another. Or he could have been adopted by cold and/or abusive people. In reality, his adoptive parents showed him nothing but unconditional love, showered him with care and attention and enabled him to get a good education and become wildly successful and rich. Yes, his identity will never be as straightforward as most people's and I do understand that, but at some point, enough is enough and you simply have to accept it for what it is. I hope Deja's "winning lottery" speech, as cringeworthy as it was, is a step in that direction. And the same goes for Beth. Yes, her husband is black while her in-laws are white, That is unusual, but after having spent literal decades with the man, you'd think she would have got used to it by now.

Lastly, I really did not like the flashforward and I hope it's not a technique they'll be using extensively in the future. Not only are they bound to start contradicting each other and clashing with the already established facts if used too often, but they also take something away from the upcoming storylines in the present/near future time. A lot of suspense is gone. For exampe, in those couple of minutes set in 15 years from now, we have learned that Beth's business has thrived, that Randall and Beth are still together while Kate and Toby are not and that Kevin is super-rich to be able to afford that enormous house. So, any potential storylines about Beth struggling to keep her studio alive or the problems in Randall/Beth and Kate/Toby marriages or Kevin's career taking a hit will feel rather hollow because we'll know how it all ends. 

• Love 14
4 minutes ago, Joana said:

or utter nonsense (the family not being able to survive a single night without Rebecca).

To be fair to the kids, I think that was just Jack.  Kids would have been fine without her.

5 minutes ago, Joana said:

Lastly, I really did not like the flashforward and I hope it's not a technique they'll be using extensively in the future.

I hate the flashforward, too.  For two reasons. One, I don't need/want to know what's going to happen, and it locks them in, which depending on how long this series is going to last, could really hamstring them.

It's like How I Met Your Mother.  They locked themselves into an ending (which they actually could have changed had they wanted, we hadn't seen it), and left the audience really dissatisfied.  In this case, we've seen a lot, so without retcon, they can't change their course that much.

• Love 4

Considering this thread has not been commented on since last season, my unpopular opinion is that I miss the Unpopular Opinions thread! I like snark, especially when directed at a Pearson or a tired TIU trope.

I will add that I find that ice cream in a box to be pretty terrible ice cream. Just looking at those slices, I can taste the ice crystals they seem to be comprised of rather than the creamy goodness that ice cream should be. I do understand enjoying it for nostalgia's sake. I like how Nicky described his father waving the knife over the ice cream. However, it is inferior ice cream!

• Love 4

It's not chocolate, so that's two strikes against a boxed ice cream.  I found myself wondering if Nicky just happened to have that ice cream in his freezer or if he stopped off on his way home from the hockey game sans Kevin to buy it, because he knew Kevin would turn up at his trailer checking in on him.

• Love 4
On 10/23/2019 at 10:49 AM, DoubleUTeeEff said:

Considering this thread has not been commented on since last season, my unpopular opinion is that I miss the Unpopular Opinions thread! I like snark, especially when directed at a Pearson or a tired TIU trope.

I will add that I find that ice cream in a box to be pretty terrible ice cream. Just looking at those slices, I can taste the ice crystals they seem to be comprised of rather than the creamy goodness that ice cream should be. I do understand enjoying it for nostalgia's sake. I like how Nicky described his father waving the knife over the ice cream. However, it is inferior ice cream!

I don't think I've ever had boxed ice cream but I imagine a SLICE of Neapolitan would look prettier (sans ice crystals) than a scoop.  

• Love 2
On 3/21/2019 at 2:41 PM, goldenpuppy said:

Yeah, you're never allowed to be concerned about someone's health if it's size or food-related.  Unless someone's too thin.  Or perceived to be too thin.  

• Love 4
16 hours ago, PRgal said:

Yeah, you're never allowed to be concerned about someone's health if it's size or food-related.  Unless someone's too thin.  Or perceived to be too thin.  

Check this out (he was bold enough to say it but got a lot of heat for it!):

• Love 5
3 hours ago, SWLinPHX said:

Not surprised.  But it's true.  I've had people freak out on me when they find out what size I wear.  And it's only the number which freaks them out.  Or my weight.  They don't look at me and tell me I'm "too thin."  These people are usually "normal size" (normal to me, which means women who are, say, 8-12, maybe 14).  But I more or less live in yoga/Pilates studios, so people aren't nearly as big as Chrissy (for example) there.  

To make this post legit:  I'm not sure if this is considered an "unpopular opinion," but did they "age" Tess up a bit?  I think I've posted about this before, but she's supposed to be turning 11, yet the projects and classes she seems to be taking sound like she's in a higher grade than where she should be (sixth or so).  I know the actress is 14, so maybe that's why?  Timelines can be weird on the show...

20 hours ago, SWLinPHX said:

I wouldn't praise him for being bold enough to say what every old man in Walmart is saying every time an obese woman walks by. 

For most of my adult life I weighed 110 pounds and I'm on the tall side. Yes people would tell me to eat something, but that's not all. At that time I smoked and the word from the surgeon general was, "Smoking is the leading  cause of death in America." On a daily basis, strangers came up to me and told me smoking was bad for my health.  Finally I quit smoking and immediately gained lots of weight... and strangers were looking me up and down and shaking their heads if I ate anything fattening in public.  Or asking me if I knew how many calories were in that.  Or giving me diet articles cut from magazines.

Yes, people in France weigh less than we do, they are also still smoking at a much higher rate than we are.  As more of them quit smoking, their obesity rate rises. 

That picture of thin people fifty years ago?  They're all dead now.  People get diseases and die whether they overeat or not.  Our life expectancy rate, fat people included is seven years longer than theirs was.

Those pre-existing diseases he mentions, that insurance companies don't want to have to cover, are rarely obesity related.  Most of those conditions  strike later after people are already on some sort of insurance.  The number one disabler of young (read uninsured) people is schizophrenia.  Those young people are usually underweight.  The insurance companies don't want to  cover them because their medication costs around a thousand dollars a month and unlike most expensive diseases, the patients don't conveniently die from it within a few years.  They can live and suffer with it for sixty or seventy years. The insurance companies much prefer healthy people paying premiums for  50 years before billing them.

Chrissy Metz doesn't owe Bill or anyone else good health. Unlike drunk driving it doesn't endanger anyone and there's no side stream fat.

• Love 15

Here is James Corden's response:

UO?: Chrissy doesn't need to be told on instagram that she is fat. She doesn't need to be told the health risks by total strangers. She doesn't need to be shamed.

Edited by kili
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I wouldn't praise him for being bold enough to say what every old man in Walmart is saying every time an obese woman walks by. 

For most of my adult life I weighed 110 pounds and I'm on the tall side. Yes people would tell me to eat something, but that's not all. At that time I smoked and the word from the surgeon general was, "Smoking is the leading  cause of death in America." On a daily basis, strangers came up to me and told me smoking was bad for my health.  Finally I quit smoking and immediately gained lots of weight... and strangers were looking me up and down and shaking their heads if I ate anything fattening in public.  Or asking me if I knew how many calories were in that.  Or giving me diet articles cut from magazines.

Yes, people in France weigh less than we do, they are also still smoking at a much higher rate than we are.  As more of them quit smoking, their obesity rate rises. 

That picture of thin people fifty years ago?  They're all dead now.  People get diseases and die whether they overeat or not.  Our life expectancy rate, fat people included is seven years longer than theirs was.

Those pre-existing diseases he mentions, that insurance companies don't want to have to cover, are rarely obesity related.  Most of those conditions  strike later after people are already on some sort of insurance.  The number one disabler of young (read uninsured) people is schizophrenia.  Those young people are usually underweight.  The insurance companies don't want to  cover them because their medication costs around a thousand dollars a month and unlike most expensive diseases, the patients don't conveniently die from it within a few years.  They can live and suffer with it for sixty or seventy years. The insurance companies much prefer healthy people paying premiums for  50 years before billing them.

Chrissy Metz doesn't owe Bill or anyone else good health. Unlike drunk driving it doesn't endanger anyone and there's no side stream fat.

Of course it's NEVER okay to actually shame anyone individually and I don't think that was what Maher is saying, although his approach and wording on the surface may seem like it.  He is saying not to pretend like extreme obesity is okay and something everyone should accept in order to be politically correct.  There are photos of morbidly obese people in bikinis and people having to give a thumbs up or approval lest they be considered judgmental or horrible people.

The fact remains U.S. citizens ARE indeed fatter than any time in history and it is an epidemic.  The majority are overweight or extremely overweight, making a healthy ideal weight more of a rarity.  You can't deny a statistical fact.  It is unhealthy and an epidemic and the majority aren't due to complicated health issues for which they have no control.  It's due to diet and lack of exercise.  It is a lifestyle many have adopted in this day and age, and again if you look at any other time in history Americans looked far different and being considerably overweight was the exception, not the rule.  Maher's point is not to ignore or even glorify an epidemic for the sake of political correctness.  If suddenly most Americans had diabetes or cancer or measles or anything else we wouldn't praise it and say it must be accepted or else you are insensitive.  An epidemic should be addressed and given the serious attention it deserves.  It is a known and proven national problem.  That is NOT the same as shaming an individual, which is where the resentment is coming from.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, SWLinPHX said:

If suddenly most Americans had diabetes or cancer or measles or anything else we wouldn't praise it and say it must be accepted or else you are insensitive.  

We don't shame or blame people for getting those diseases though do we?  We don't post pictures of people with cancer and give it a thumbs down as you would have us do over obese people, do we? I've never actually heard anyone "praised" for being obese. 

Edited by JudyObscure
  • Love 8
21 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

We don't shame or blame people for getting those diseases though do we?

To a certain extent, yes.  If the diabetes was "obtained" (for lack of a better word) by obese habits, or measles by not getting yourself or your child vaccinated.  Or lung cancer because you smoked.  I'm saying that generally.  I do my best not to shame anybody for anything.  But, I will sometimes point out to someone (I actually know) that sometimes things are a direct result of choices and we all make bad choices all the livelong day.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, kili said:

UO?: Chrissy doesn't need to be told on instagram that she is fat. She doesn't need to be told the health risks by total strangers. She doesn't need to be shamed.

I don't think that's unpopular, or at least I hope not.  Shaming is bullying just like James Corden said, and Maher is just amplifying the shaming from his platform.  Although with Kate/Chrissy, her weight has been baked into the story from the start, and it becomes a natural topic of conversation.  Not every comment about her is shaming, but a lot of it obviously is.  Her weight went on the back burner of the show for the last year, and now they are bringing it back up, mostly with Kate herself talking about it.  I will be interested to see how they proceed with it. 

• Love 7
On 10/26/2019 at 10:59 AM, SWLinPHX said:

It is unhealthy and an epidemic and the majority aren't due to complicated health issues for which they have no control.  It's due to diet and lack of exercise.  It is a lifestyle many have adopted in this day and age, and again if you look at any other time in history Americans looked far different and being considerably overweight was the exception, not the rule.

This isn't 100% true.  A lot of poor people are obese because they don't have access to healthy food.  I live in a part of NYC where 4 supermarkets are in walking distance to where I live.  Not everybody is that lucky.  Some people live in areas where there are no supermarkets in walking distance, and they might not have access to a car; however there are lots of fast food places are around.  It's not easy having to take a subway 2 or 3 stops to buy groceries, add multiple children under 12 and it's more than just not easy.   What's helped here are street vendors selling fruits and vegetables, so they're more accessible to people.  

• Love 15

Portion sizes at restaurants are also an issue.  I was listening to a podcast where a Canadian-based chain opened restaurants in the US and patrons were complaining about portion size - that it wasn't big enough (!!).  My husband and I stopped by an outlet mall just across the border a few years ago on our way to a bat mitzvah and we commented on who we thought was Canadian and who was American just by size.  And yes, Canadians are usually a little bit thinner (not by much though).