Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Scorched Earth

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Casey seeks help with a personal matter from Susan Weller. A rich party guy wants Severide to travel with him. Stella tries to help a sick street kid. Otis and Herrmann share their concerns about Molly's lack of customers.

The theme of this episode seemed to be dealing with the devil: Casey told devil Susan Weller to get behind him (leave him alone) and Severide presumably told devil party boy the same thing. Antonio warned Sylvie that he was the devil and she chose to dance with him anyway. Casey took news-reporter devil on, with satisfying results. Stella wound down from the drama of her ex by trying to save a young man, guilting Boden and characters from Chicago Med and Chicago PD into playing along. I bet Stella and Boden owe big time for that. Boden was even told by Chicago PD man that he would be playing on the poker table.

Of course some of this devil dancing is Gabrielle's fault. She sweet-talked boyfriend Casey into selling his soul for a shot at foster care last season.

Come to think of it, maybe Gabby is the....

Edited by MaryHedwig

And the saga of Louie, the Saddest Looking Boy in the World, continues. Zzzzzzz.

I'm still baffled why this show felt the need to add Stella to the cast. She's really not very interesting. Her story with helping the runaway could have been given to anyone, literally. Is it that they felt the squad needed more females? Because statistically, it's very rare for a fire station to have even one female fire fighter, let alone two. Never mind having two at the same station working the same shift. Off hand, I'd say the chances of that happening in real life are . . . not too good.

(And yeah, I know Gabby is not currently one of the fire fighters, but she was at the time they added Stella to the cast, and the way she switches job goals on a monthly basis means she may be again at any given moment.)

So I guess Party Guy just wanted Severide around for free CPR. Damn, I still say my idea of him wanting to get into Severide's pants would have been way more interesting. The guy playing Party Guy bears a strong resemblance to Cheyenne Jackson. Maybe that's why it feels like he's eye-fucking Severide in every scene they share.

• Love 1

So I guess Party Guy just wanted Severide around for free CPR.

Well...Party Guy wanted some Eye Candy around for free CPR. Something about those prematurely graying guys....

By the way frat boys, don't try the face-down-in-the-ice-cube-bowl trick at home.

• Love 2

I think Stella was added specifically so that they could move Gabby back to the ambulance.  Basically as long as Gabby was on Truck, the relationship with Casey was stuck in a perpetual stalemate.  Either they break up and pine after each other, or they stay static and boring.  But the show got a lot of praise for showcasing a female firefighter.  That kind of representation is provably important when it comes to encouraging young girls in male-dominated fields.

I figure they knew they were going to move Gabby back, and introduced Stella early.  

It bugs me a bit that Casey didn't tell Gabby about how things resolved with Susan, but then communication was never really his strong suit when looking pained and suffering in secret would work.

• Love 1

Note to Stella:  Removing private property from an incident scene, no matter how stellar (sorry) your motives are, is theft (except for PD).  Kid Hepatitis could have had a field day with CFD, particularly when her superiors played along with her malfeasance.

1 hour ago, squidprincess said:

It bugs me a bit that Casey didn't tell Gabby about how things resolved with Susan

It's probably a good thing, because then Gabby would get her Mama Grizzly on, and stir the pot to boiling, requiring plot contrivances with Chief Boden and various mucky mucks across the board getting involved.  Could take a couple of episodes to resolve.

Molly's is a dive?  Take that, Hermann!  In all honesty, I would watch an episode of Bar Rescue if they actually featured Molly's as a bit of stuntcasting.

You know what would really make my day?  DCFS removes Louie to a temporary family until the dispute is settled, and when they show up, preferably at the fire station, Louie breaks into a huge grin and starts jumping up and down in sheer joy.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Dowel Jones said:

You know what would really make my day?  DCFS removes Louie to a temporary family until the dispute is settled, and when they show up, preferably at the fire station, Louie breaks into a huge grin and starts jumping up and down in sheer joy.

Now I want this to happen so bad! It would automatically be the best episode ever if it did in fact happen.

• Love 1

Late to this episode's party but I so hope Milwaukee kid turns on Stella as in "No good deed goes unpunished." No one thougt to ask him if he wants their help. 

In the heartwarming scene where Louie is sleeping on Gabby's lap, I thought once again that she thinks he really is just the warm puppy she always wanted. And wtf with her and Casey at a restaurant for dinner while he is at her parents (and Gabby has parents? She didn't just spring fully formed from Adam's rib?).... Sure, that's where I'd be when I'm waiting to hear that my kid may well be ripped from me forever in a matter of hours, having a nice quiet dinner away from him. 

And shame on Gabby for encouraging Brett to go get her man vs minding her own beeswax. I actually like Brett a lot but the ball was in Antonio's court and would have come back into play after a time-out on his part. Now he's just passive and she's aggressive. Thanks Gabby. 

The actress who got ice-faced deserves a ton of combat pay for that scene. 

Casey to reporter, scene one: I don't domalderman business at the firehouse.

Casey to reporter, scene two: thanks for meeting me at the firehouse.

Susan's storyline is the most boring story ever. Move along and take up with Severide's father or hang out with Chilly on the island of forgotten CF characters. 

• Love 1