Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E06: Roar

• Start Topic

17 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:
27 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

But Jo isn't experienced enough for a department head, which is why I was suggesting a minor character as head.  If they want Jo to be ortho, that's fine as well.  But it's a gaping hole in the staff to pretend ortho cases aren't happening.

Sorry I got confused by what you meant because Leah and Jo were at the same level. I wish they'd bring back ortho but as usual Jo's chances of growing in that area are gone since the writers couldn't care less about keeping her there now Callie is gone.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, Daisy said:

This is a dumb question - but if Catherine is a board member (i think she is but since she's not in town, Jackson represents the foundation's interests) - why can't she look at the personnel files? (serious question. because it didn't bother me  that she had them)

First off, Catherine is not on the board. Nor is she on the staff, from what I understand. She has privileges to practice at the hospital, but nothing more. Jackson is the Avery Foundation's representative on the board.

Board members guide policy, strategies,  and direction for an organization; they also have fiscal responsibility for the organization. Board members also recruit, hire, and oversee an organization's chief executive, who in turn is responsible for hiring the rest of the staff. This is pretty basic operating procedure. 

Catherine, who is NOT a board member, would have no authority to gather personnel files (she could, however, bully some poor HR admin assistant into getting them for her, which is another story altogether). The staff members who are on the board generally would not have that access, either; that would be available only to supervisors and HR staff. Bailey, being a supervisor, would have access to those files. 

But of course the Grey's Anatomy world is not the real world. There are no HIPAA regulations, no employment laws, etc.  And nevermind that Bailey is on the board and runs one of the hospital departments in a colossal conflict of interest, although it's not unheard of in the non-profit world. 

Edited by Gladrags
  • Love 2

I found the episode rather tedious. Me has got the woman and later also came as a patient who has treated Alex in the clinic annoyed. She's gagged too much. And even her best friend or what a guy was was funny. It was almost all about the patients. Was this necessary ? I mean, I've suffered with her when she learned that she has a tumor and that her baby is not likely to survive. This is bad, really. But there is such a thing in real life.

Leah, I do not have to be in the hospital, I would have rather Shane, who has more than Leah, but he has gone to Switzerland with Cristina. And I do not know but right now I would wish Cristina back. The sex of Leah at Maggie did not go at all. Cristina had long since gone to the ceiling. Can also understand that Edwards and Jo do not want to have anything to do with her.

I would have liked at least a Merthan scene, but nothing, I found stupid. What should it be? Meredith also had only two scenes. And Nathan was also seen in two scenes. For the Merthan fans the episode was a pure disappointment. Including me.

The only thing I found good that we had more beautiful Japril scenes, the scene at the car was great. How April and Jackson have surely gone with Harriet's all right and worried as parents. I hope the two find each other again. They belong together !!!

And Amelia gave me my heart, as if it had gone crazy in the surgery when the boy died, she felt terribly sorry for me. And great that she has entrusted Alex later and her story with her son told him. The scene was very touching. And Owen does not even know this comprehensive intimate story. But only know in LA for example Addison and now Alex or? Is there something between Amelia and Alex on or between Maggie and Alex maybe. (I remember the scene in the cafeteria.)

Because I totally disagree. Alex and Meredith are really only friends, if both had romantic feelings for each other, then something would have happened already. I think Alex could end up with Maggie or even Amelia. Or stop with Jo. But there is unfortunately something with DeLuca and Jo. Well the episode was okay.

Highlight for me were the Japril scenes and just the sad touching scene around Amelia.

Danged house guests (just kidding, I do love them...) kept me from watching this ep until I holed up in the bedroom with my iPad last night.

So, am I the only one who thinks that Leah 2.0 is kind of creepy?  I wasn't a big fan of hers before, but I didn't really mind her (she was, at least, easier to take than Shane).  This new incarnation is just weird....  There is the stalker thing with Maggie, especially weird because while Maggie has been portrayed as being a very, very good surgeon, the show has never really shown her to be an innovator, like Cristina.  If Leah was so inspired by someone, shouldn't it have been Cristina?  

Also, I don't want to say that she's exactly devoid of personality, but what personality she does have just doesn't match up or seem to evolve from the personality she had before.  I have a feeling that they brought her back without really any desire to do anything with her, but rather to do something with Arizona or possibly Maggie.

Debbie Allen's character was really starting to annoy me, but I appreciate that they are FINALLY addressing all the freaking second chances that this hospital gives its staff.  Ironically, though, the one that seemed to tip off Catherine's investigation (Alex's) is the one case where the handling was actually appropriate.  Not to excuse Alex's behavior, but what he did was done outside of the hospital and did not involve his work.  In that case, I think Bailey reassigning him until the trial, but keeping him employed was the right thing to do.

I guess we are getting 1-2 "oh isn't our life together but not together just so cute?" scenes with Jackson and April each episode until someone decides to do something with them.

The story with Alex's pregnant cancer patient broke my heart--I lost a close friend to pancreatic cancer this past summer and I don't think I was quite ready to deal with it on GA.

Finally, I loved the scene with Meredith and Alex in her bedroom, especially when the eye-rolling over Amelia began.  I'm liking Alex and Mer's person far more than I thought I would, probably because it seems to be a healthier relationship than the one that Mer had with Cristina.

Edited by OtterMommy
  • Love 1
51 minutes ago, Gladrags said:

First off, Catherine is not on the board. Nor is she on the staff, from what I understand. She has privileges to practice at the hospital, but nothing more. Jackson is the Avery Foundation's representative on the board.

Board members guide policy, strategies,  and direction for an organization; they also have fiscal responsibility for the organization. Board members also recruit, hire, and oversee an organization's chief executive, who in turn is responsible for hiring the rest of the staff. This is pretty basic operating procedure. 

Catherine, who is NOT a board member, would have no authority to gather personnel files (she could, however, bully some poor HR admin assistant into getting them for her, which is another story altogether). The staff members who are on the board generally would not have that access, either; that would be available only to supervisors and HR staff. Bailey, being a supervisor, would have access to those files. 

But of course the Grey's Anatomy world is not the real world. There are no HIPAA regulations, no employment laws, etc.  And nevermind that Bailey is on the board and runs one of the hospital departments in a colossal conflict of interest, although it's not unheard of in the non-profit world. 

Maybe I misunderstood, but didn't Catherine proclaim on this episode, "I own this hospital!"?  I thought Catherine, per the Harper Avery Foundation (or whatever it's called), was the majority owner of the hospital.  That's why she was able to force Jackson onto the board.  She's such a bossy busy body that it didn't even occur to me to question her interference.  Now I'm really confused.

45 minutes ago, Maukie99 said:

I found the episode rather tedious. Me has got the woman and later also came as a patient who has treated Alex in the clinic annoyed. She's gagged too much. And even her best friend or what a guy was was funny. It was almost all about the patients. Was this necessary ? I mean, I've suffered with her when she learned that she has a tumor and that her baby is not likely to survive. This is bad, really. But there is such a thing in real life.

Leah, I do not have to be in the hospital, I would have rather Shane, who has more than Leah, but he has gone to Switzerland with Cristina. And I do not know but right now I would wish Cristina back. The sex of Leah at Maggie did not go at all. Cristina had long since gone to the ceiling. Can also understand that Edwards and Jo do not want to have anything to do with her.

I would have liked at least a Merthan scene, but nothing, I found stupid. What should it be? Meredith also had only two scenes. And Nathan was also seen in two scenes. For the Merthan fans the episode was a pure disappointment. Including me.

The only thing I found good that we had more beautiful Japril scenes, the scene at the car was great. How April and Jackson have surely gone with Harriet's all right and worried as parents. I hope the two find each other again. They belong together !!!

And Amelia gave me my heart, as if it had gone crazy in the surgery when the boy died, she felt terribly sorry for me. And great that she has entrusted Alex later and her story with her son told him. The scene was very touching. And Owen does not even know this comprehensive intimate story. But only know in LA for example Addison and now Alex or? Is there something between Amelia and Alex on or between Maggie and Alex maybe. (I remember the scene in the cafeteria.)

Because I totally disagree. Alex and Meredith are really only friends, if both had romantic feelings for each other, then something would have happened already. I think Alex could end up with Maggie or even Amelia. Or stop with Jo. But there is unfortunately something with DeLuca and Jo. Well the episode was okay.

Highlight for me were the Japril scenes and just the sad touching scene around Amelia.

I'm wondering if you had an attack of severe auto correct while posting.  I'm finding some of this super confusing.  I don't remember the clinic woman gagging at all.  What does Shane have more than Leah?  I didn't see any sex of Leah to Maggie, and I don't understand how Cristina went to the ceiling.  I haven't seen anything that suggests (to me) that there's anything between Alex/Amelia, or Alex/Maggie.  Although there was that scene last season when Maggie was getting a little touchy with Alex.

I agree with you on April and Jackson, but I fear we're greatly in the minority. 

6 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

Maybe I misunderstood, but didn't Catherine proclaim on this episode, "I own this hospital!"?  I thought Catherine, per the Harper Avery Foundation (or whatever it's called), was the majority owner of the hospital.  That's why she was able to force Jackson onto the board.  She's such a bossy busy body that it didn't even occur to me to question her interference.  Now I'm really confused.

I'm wondering if you had an attack of severe auto correct while posting.  I'm finding some of this super confusing.  I don't remember the clinic woman gagging at all.  What does Shane have more than Leah?  I didn't see any sex of Leah to Maggie, and I don't understand how Cristina went to the ceiling.  I haven't seen anything that suggests (to me) that there's anything between Alex/Amelia, or Alex/Maggie.  Although there was that scene last season when Maggie was getting a little touchy with Alex.

I agree with you on April and Jackson, but I fear we're greatly in the minority. 

I already see the potential for Maggie and Alex that they finally get together, I mean why not? Merlex will remain purely friendly and sibling.

You're correct, The Harper Avery Foundation is the majority shareholder in the hospital. As part of the deal in the financing they get a seat on the board which she gave to Jackson.  IIRC the plane crash gang was meeting with various people to try to save the hospital from going under then Catherine stepped in at the last minute.

• Love 1

The two scenes between Meredith and Alex felt like a married couple to me  with romantic undertone absent though.  Only a kiss was necessary  - a goodbye then a welcome kiss. I honestly saw them like  a married couple the way she touched his hair, straighthened the tie, then he crawled into the bed with her, Shonda is definitely cooking something there. The only point against them is the what if gimmick where they played a couple and it was all horribly wrong.

Also the waffles talk (I think Maggie and Amelia were just added there) but the kids and him and Meredith  - a family.

Edited by Nobodysfan
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Nobodysfan said:

The two scenes between Meredith and Alex felt like a married couple to me  with romantic undertone absent though.  Only a kiss was necessary  - a goodbye then a welcome kiss. I honestly saw them like  a married couple the way she touched his hair, straighthened the tie, then he crawled into the bed with her, Shonda is definitely cooking something there. The only point against them is the what if gimmick where they played a couple and it was all horribly wrong.

Meredith has been more like a mother than Alex. Alex had been annoyed.

On 28. 10. 2016 at 6:48 PM, Daisy said:

i always took that as a slight Meredith thing, but then Maggie is like i was Kepner, and he was like "Oops. almost spilled the beans."

don't really have a view on this episode. I know i am supposed to feel sorry for Amelia - but I don't. because this is crap you discuss before you get married. and so whatever happens is just going to vex my soul. 

I think she does speak too much, but her story is sad.

I do not understand why Riggs looked at Maggie like that at all at the Kepner comment. It seems to me Maggie meant he should not feel special to have a friend in her  because April obviously likes everybody so he was not special to her. 

I feel there is a new triangle forming  - work triangle, Maggie will prefer to work with Leah and she will put Riggs  aside.  Some form of revenge I guess for his unrequited feelings. Like let´s all be friends, haha, of course....

Edited by Nobodysfan
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, Maukie99 said:

I already see the potential for Maggie and Alex that they finally get together, I mean why not? Merlex will remain purely friendly and sibling.

Alex and Maggie would be just as bad as Alex and Meredith for me, maybe worse.  Maggie looks at Alex with barely concealed disgust and I can't possibly imagine her being able to handle any part of Alex's dysfunction and darkness.  I also can't imagine him having the patience to deal with her emotional immaturity for more than 5 minutes.  At least with Mer and Alex I could believe it, as much as I wouldn't like it.  Maggie/Alex would be completely unbelievable to me.

What makes me feel a little better about the Mer/Alex situation is that I didn't see any kind of sexual undertones or passion in that last scene, and that is very unlike Grey's.  It seemed to me more like resigned settling for companionship than any kind of great passion.  And I do think that would be how it would turn out if they went there.  That would be great if they were 65-70 years old and had raised families of their own, etc., but they are both young and Alex hasn't had a family yet.  So while it wouldn't surprise me if they were laying the groundwork, I don't think its a done deal.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Deanie87 said:

Alex and Maggie would be just as bad as Alex and Meredith for me, maybe worse.  Maggie looks at Alex with barely concealed disgust and I can't possibly imagine her being able to handle any part of Alex's dysfunction and darkness.  I also can't imagine him having the patience to deal with her emotional immaturity for more than 5 minutes.  At least with Mer and Alex I could believe it, as much as I wouldn't like it.  Maggie/Alex would be completely unbelievable to me.

What makes me feel a little better about the Mer/Alex situation is that I didn't see any kind of sexual undertones or passion in that last scene, and that is very unlike Grey's.  It seemed to me more like resigned settling for companionship than any kind of great passion.  And I do think that would be how it would turn out if they went there.  That would be great if they were 65-70 years old and had raised families of their own, etc., but they are both young and Alex hasn't had a family yet.  So while it wouldn't surprise me if they were laying the groundwork, I don't think its a done deal.

I think Alex thinks because of his hopeless situation in which he is at the moment, not at all kissing Meredith or leading a romantic relationship with her, on the contrary, he will understand Nathan very well, both will be apparently in the next episodes Have more to do with each other. And Alex will tell Meredith that she should give Nathan a chance, because he's a good guy who really likes her. ;-)

• Love 1
3 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

Debbie Allen's character was really starting to annoy me, but I appreciate that they are FINALLY addressing all the freaking second chances that this hospital gives its staff.  Ironically, though, the one that seemed to tip off Catherine's investigation (Alex's) is the one case where the handling was actually appropriate.  Not to excuse Alex's behavior, but what he did was done outside of the hospital and did not involve his work.  In that case, I think Bailey reassigning him until the trial, but keeping him employed was the right thing to do.

Although it seemed like Catherine's point wasn't so much that these people shouldn't have gotten second chances; rather, she was questioning why they made the sort of mistakes in the first place that necessitated second chances, and she's blaming it on the quality of the teaching. Which is reasonable for at least a few of the staff members mentioned. I don't remember all the circumstances for everyone Catherine named, but in April's case, for instance, when Webber fired April for killing that patient, Derek then told Webber that what happened was really Richard's fault due to his horrible handling of the hospital merger that created a completely chaotic situation, and that's why Derek re-hired April as soon as he had taken over Webber's position. April has since proven to be top-notch at trauma. Leah was fired by Webber for supposedly never having the ability to be a good surgeon, and then went somewhere else and thrived in surgery.

Re: your point about what Alex did being outside the hospital, that's not necessarily relevant as his conduct involved two co-workers. My company does harassment training every year, and for managers one thing that always gets emphasized is that the company can be liable for things that occurred outside work, too. Given that Alex has admitted that he beat up DeLuca, it's unrealistic that any HR and legal department (who would be making the decision, not Bailey) would keep him on when his victim also continues to work at the hospital. It leaves the hospital far too open to a lawsuit from DeLuca for hostile work environment. As it is, they'd be shitting a brick about getting sued for the beating itself since this isn't the first time that Alex has hit a coworker and so it would be quite easy for DeLuca's lawyer to make a case that the hospital is liable for what Alex did to him as obviously they failed to take sufficient disciplinary action the first time and Alex's violent tendencies not only did not cease, but escalated. And god forbid that Alex hit DeLuca again, or a third coworker, while being allowed to work - the hospital's liability would increase exponentially. You might say Alex wouldn't do that, Alex might say he wouldn't do that, but such assurances wouldn't be good enough for HR/legal. It is way more risk than they would ever accept. If Alex were claiming that he didn't do it at all, that would be one thing (although he'd most likely be suspended until trial rather than allowed to actually keep working), but he's not. He is only disputing the degree of criminal offense of his actions, arguing that it doesn't rise to felony level (which it clearly does, but let's see how badly GA messes that up, too, when we get to the trial).

Not only would Bailey not be allowed to make the call on Alex, don't even get me started on what HR/legal would say to Bailey about the way she's handled the DeLuca side of this. Unlike the decision of what to do with Alex, that is on her because she has responsibility for the work environment, and she's done a very poor job there.

5 hours ago, Nobodysfan said:

It could be yes, one interpretation of it,  but still there are some moments in which they seemed like a married couple to me.

Yes but a sometimes people start sounding like an old married couple without there being anything romantic between. Bailey and Webber do it at times especially if they're discussing Mer and Alex. I don't think its weird at this point for Alex to feel parental to Mer's kids. His lived with them almost as long as she has. Its more that because they have been so close for so long they have level of intimacy that's similar to married couples.

Edited by Emily Thrace
errors
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Emily Thrace said:

Yes but a sometimes people start sounding like an old married couple without there being anything romantic between. Bailey and Webber do it at times especially if they're discussing Mer and Alex. I don't think its weird at this point for Alex to feel parental to Mer's kids. His lived with them almost as long as she has. Its more that because they have been so close for so long they have level of intimacy that's similar to married couples.

This. I thought the parallel between Alex / Meredith and the patient / her best friend was obvious. I didn't see anything romantic with Alex and Meredith, just as there was nothing romantic between the two friends who decided to raise a child together. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Let me try this again. The Harper Avery Foundation owns a majority stake in the hospital; Catherine, as the chair of the board of that foundation appointed Jackson as its representative. That gives Catherine NO authority in day-to-day operational decisions (like disciplining wayward surgeons). She also has no authority to set policy -- which is one of the functions of a board of directors -- other than to badger Jackson in seeing things her way. As chair of the Harper Avery Foundation, her only authority is to appoint a representative to the Grey Sloan board.

A board of directors sets personnel policy -- for instance, setting procedures and penalties for infractions by personnel -- but would in no way be involved with executing that policy. That falls to the employees of the hospital who supervise other employees. Say a doctor commits a crime: The board would be involved in deciding what steps would be taken in the event that any doctor commits a crime, but would not be involved in carrying out those steps.  The board would set the tone, direction and policies for the educational component of the hospital, but wouldn't be involved in its day-to-day operation -- unless the director of the program asked the board to change the policies in order to correct a problem (like surgeons being given too many second chances). But Catherine -- again, not a member of the board, nor a supervisory member of the staff -- took it upon herself to investigate individual surgeons' personnel files. That would never happen in a million years in the real world, without HR, Bailey, and a kazillion lawyers squawking loudly. 

The writers are playing fast and loose with the function of a board of directors, just like they play fast and loose with just about everything else. Alas.

If I were the Grey Sloan board, I'd have a big ass fundraiser in order to pay off the Harper Avery Foundation and get Catherine out of my life. 

• Love 5

The Grey's hospital setup has never resembled real life, so I just sort of ignore those things and accept it as part of their world. If I nitpicked everything that would never happen in a real hospital, I'd probably go insane.

• Love 4

That would never happen in a million years in the real world, without HR, Bailey, and a kazillion lawyers squawking loudly.

Its frustrating when GA is so far off base but in the realm of the show Catherine looking at the files as a plot point doesn't bother me too much. There's been so many things on my list above this, lol.  Ex: A hallucination sitting down next to another person and say "we need to talk".  At least Catherine is alive :) 

• Love 6

A friend and I have started watching Grey's from the beginning this autumn along with watching it in real time, and that makes it extra interesting that Catherine is bringing up this subject now.  We're only about halfway through the first season and already Meredith has been called on the carpet for nodding off during surgery (with Preston Burke) while holding a heart and nicking it with her fingernail.

I was questioning why someone who's only been an intern for about 10 minutes gets to hold a heart after she's been awake for more than 24 hrs, when it turns out that Mrs. Landingham is back in surgery and they find a towel that was left inside her five years ago, thanks to Preston Burke.  A freaking towel?  Nobody saw that?  Not any other surgeons, surgical assistant, interns, residents, surgical technician, scrub nurse?  They sewed her up and nobody noticed a towel?  And Bailey doesn't want anybody to find out about Burke being the lead surgeon during that operation.  And Burke has already hooked up with Cristina at this point in some utility room or other.

• Love 2

I think I read somewhere that leaving towels, sponges and other pieces of equipment behind after surgeries happens way more often in real life than people would like to think about. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Joana said:

I think I read somewhere that leaving towels, sponges and other pieces of equipment behind after surgeries happens way more often in real life than people would like to think about. 

Sponges I can understand. A towel the size of a bar rag, not so much. 

i've hated Amelia since day one, but darn it did Caterina Scorsone kick ass and take names in that scene.  Totally sucked me in, it was very dusty here!  

Having said that I was really hoping the camera would pan back and we'd see that Owen had heard her because this whole thing where they don't discuss it, something that huge, just annoys me.  

• Love 5
On 30.10.2016 at 4:52 PM, DearEvette said:

But did she lie, though?  She was basically telling DeLuca the truth of the facts as we all knew it at the time.

I also found Jo's "oh it wasn't that bad..." apologia interesting, since at the time, Leah's filing of the harassment claim had Jo being all super pissy at everyone because it interfered with her relationship with Alex.  She went so far as to 1) accuse Stephanie of being the one who filed it in front of everyone telling her that she "just made my relationship with Alex illegal" and then 2) she spitefully told Steph that Jackson and April were still together --again in front of the rest of residents and said "You know what you do when your little heart gets broken?  You talk to your friends.  I'm the one being punished, you're ruining my life...blah blah blah..." in spite the fact that Steph told her a ton of times that the complaint was anonymous.   She then turned her pissiness onto Leah hen Leah made it clear that she was the one who filed the complaint.

I don't mind Leah's return since it does seem to be more about kicking off the "we're terrible teachers" storyline.  As long as she doesn't turn into Perfect Penny 2.0 then I'm ok.

Well you're not wrong :) But I still like Leah and don't like Jo and Stephanie. Jo is hypocritical and Stephanie is just unlikeable and both of them are extremly annoying.

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 2:18 PM, Gladrags said:

Not to mention there seem to be no nurses/orderlies or anyone else except surgeons--- who get their own supplies!!!!! Who prep their own patients!!!! It drives me insane!

I am so over Amelia and the baby drama I could spit. I agree with Mere--- Amelia talks too much!

I loved Mere and Alex and Alex and Mere. I make no apologies. If they are end game-- so be it. I really don't care about any of the other characters at this point.

Jo? She was nothing more than a plot device for Alex and he seems as over her as I have been from the beginning of her introduction. Half the other characters I can't even remember their names. why bother? They are peripheral characters--- non entities.