Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E06: Ka hale hoʻokauweli (House of Horrors)

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Mittengirl said:

Seriously?!  Adam's been out of jail like a week and he and the little woman are kidnapped?  Do the writers not know what to do with him/them?  

Dear writers - it really, really is OK to just have cute little filler scenes with Kono and Adam being a couple and looking for a new house or, I don't know, doing work on their house or trying out clean eating or having a workout contest or SOMETHING other than all this *strife!*.

• Love 7

Oooooh!  It's the Halloween episode!  I love the Halloween episodes!  They are usually such campy fun...though the preview description seems a bit...dark.  But they all sound dark as described, but then you get Steve's surprised bug eyes, Danny's waving arms, Lou's false bravado, Chin's equanimity, Kono's barely veiled amusement...and then there's Max with his Keanu Reeves role costumes.  I heard Masi Oka's going to do a cameo tonight?  I hope that rumor is true.

8 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

and then there's Max with his Keanu Reeves role costumes.  I heard Masi Oka's going to do a cameo tonight?  I hope that rumor is true.

and my sister wins the pot this year.  She picked John Wick while I keep picking Babes In Toyland (Which I mentioned last week).

Mittengirl

Seriously?!  Adam's been out of jail like a week and he and the little woman are kidnapped?  Do the writers not know what to do with him/them?

JessDVD

Dear writers - it really, really is OK to just have cute little filler scenes with Kono and Adam being a couple and looking for a new house or..........having a workout contest or SOMETHING 

The show even had a quick scene where the two characters are "laughing" at how danger-prone their lives are.

You can't help but think that was really the two actors complaining about the bad writing.

Edited by Twilight Man
  • Love 1

I was a little surprised that Kono and Adam didn't try talking to their captors at all. Hey folks, you just kidnapped a member of the Governor's Special Task Force and the former head of the local Yakuza (who just got out of jail!). I know they would have had to play up Adam's role because he divested his interests in the criminal side of things but still I bet he could talk a convincing game about who would come looking and what they would do to whomever they found... But they didn't even try.

I also find myself wishing Kono was genre-savvy enough to realize that if she had worn a skirt instead of comfortable pants she never would have been kidnapped in the first place. Dust off that lovely leather number, Mrs. Noshimuri... your husband deserves it and it will prevent kidnappings. And considering how much trouble these two get into on a regular basis they both should have been packing serious heat regardless of what they were wearing. In fact, Kono should have pulled a Lady Gaga except instead of a dress made out of meat she should have been wearing one made entirely of semi-automatic weapons, grenades and spare clips.

Adam killed a couple-few people which I am sure is allowed under the terms of his parole so long as he is with an officer of 5-0 and in the course of defending himself against a death cult.

Speaking of couple-few, I heard Danno say that this episode. It's a saying of mine that I picked up from somewhere and now I realize it could have been this show. (Last week's "on accident" was something I had heard from a Youtuber who had no idea there was another way of expressing the same sentiment)

And speaking of that death cult, I love it when 5-0 solves murders that have been going on for years by being in the wrong place at the right time. That's how real police work is done!

Jerry the conspiracy theorist actually uses the data vacuum known as Windows 10? Hey Cortana, could you please violate my privacy?

Not loving moody, bitchy, whiny Grace. Look kid, sooner than you know it some bad guy is going to kidnap you and threaten to do all manner of terrible things to you because he hates your dad for being a cop. And at that point you are going to wish you were hanging around with Jerry carving overly intricate pumpkins!

• Love 6

Fun episode.

I am all for more Adam and Kono, but next time can it be, like during the daytime? Or at a location with better lighting? I want to be able to admire Adam's form without squinting.

9 hours ago, dwmarch said:

I was a little surprised that Kono and Adam didn't try talking to their captors at all. Hey folks, you just kidnapped a member of the Governor's Special Task Force and the former head of the local Yakuza (who just got out of jail!). I know they would have had to play up Adam's role because he divested his interests in the criminal side of things but still I bet he could talk a convincing game about who would come looking and what they would do to whomever they found... But they didn't even try.

Right? That entire sideplot was almost silent. But it was also action-packed, and I have to admit I loved watching Adam and Kono flirting and joking while they were all chained up, like it ain't no thing. And that first fight was cool. I loved how the poor girl who was also held captive was looking at them like "...are these two gorgeous people superheroes????"

Speaking of that girl (good acting, by the way!), about 2 seconds before she got shot, I was like "why are they letting the hostage trail them? Shouldn't they be covering her w... oh okay".

The main plot was interesting, I guess, and I always like seeing both Danny's nephew and Max. I think the girl's motive to hurt the medium was great, but they almost glossed over it. And did McGarrett blame her in the end? For her father's death? How cruel. And did she really kill her accomplice? And who was he? I felt they let the case drift off in the end. Plus they only gave the culprit one scene, and we never got to know her enough. I mean, I didn't really care, but when the episode ended I was like "well that happened."

And, I must admit I haven't watched this show regularly in about 3 or 4 years, but when did Grace turn into such a little shit? As realistic as that is, it's annoying to watch. I almost always hate kids on shows, and that entire plotline made me doze off. At least when Danny is there with his own kids, it's a little better. Jerry and the kids? Pass.

I wish the death cult had been the main plot, with Kono and Adam talking to their captors, and the squad trying to figure out a) where they are and b) who has them. Or I wish they had expanded on the medium story more, and left out the kids altogether. That said, it was a perfectly serviceable Halloween episode, and I enjoyed it.

Grace is annoying for sure but her behavior is one of the few realistic elements for the show. 14 year old girls are not know for being lovely rays of sunshine. And I'd imagine that some of it is stemming from learning her mom lied about her brother and now having to share Danny with Charlie. 

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

I attribute Grace's behavior to her father.  Danny is moody, bitchy and whiny, so why wouldn't his daughter take after him?

I reiterate that I haven't watched H50 in about 4 years, but this season Danny feels considerably less whiny than I remember, which is one of the main reasons I've kept watching.

That said, I think I'd be slightly more amenable to all the teen angst if the girl could act. At least Scott Caan bothers, once or twice a year, when he feels like it and he doesn't have other obligations. By the way, the little boy playing his son can't act either, though I feel bad saying that because he is teeny and cute. But the Grace actress was always dreadful and she still hasn't improved. All the kid stuff was a pain to watch. Poor Jorge Garcia. I can't imagine having to trudge through those scenes.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, dwmarch said:

I also find myself wishing Kono was genre-savvy enough to realize that if she had worn a skirt instead of comfortable pants she never would have been kidnapped in the first place. Dust off that lovely leather number, Mrs. Noshimuri... your husband deserves it and it will prevent kidnappings. And considering how much trouble these two get into on a regular basis they both should have been packing serious heat regardless of what they were wearing. In fact, Kono should have pulled a Lady Gaga except instead of a dress made out of meat she should have been wearing one made entirely of semi-automatic weapons, grenades and spare clips.

Adam killed a couple-few people which I am sure is allowed under the terms of his parole so long as he is with an officer of 5-0 and in the course of defending himself against a death cult.

Speaking of couple-few, I heard Danno say that this episode. It's a saying of mine that I picked up from somewhere and now I realize it could have been this show. (Last week's "on accident" was something I had heard from a Youtuber who had no idea there was another way of expressing the same sentiment)

And speaking of that death cult, I love it when 5-0 solves murders that have been going on for years by being in the wrong place at the right time. That's how real police work is done!

Jerry the conspiracy theorist actually uses the data vacuum known as Windows 10? Hey Cortana, could you please violate my privacy?

Not loving moody, bitchy, whiny Grace. Look kid, sooner than you know it some bad guy is going to kidnap you and threaten to do all manner of terrible things to you because he hates your dad for being a cop. And at that point you are going to wish you were hanging around with Jerry carving overly intricate pumpkins!

Gracie already was kidnapped, in an act of revenge by Danny's corrupt Training Officer & ex-partner in NJ whom Danny helped imprison for his crimes, back in S2 when her brother Charlie was still a newborn. But I get your point. I don't like angsty teenager Gracie that much either; I don't know why the writers felt she needed a "personality transplant" from the sweet girl at least some fans loved, unless it has to do with a storyline still to come. I mean not all teenagers act, in real life, the way Gracie's been written last season & this season; a bunch of them behave the way Gracie's character was written before the last 2 seasons.

• Love 2

My theory continues to be she's acting out due to her mother lying about Charlie's parentage. Grace was about 12 when Rachel came clean and I imagine it was a quite a shock. At that age she is well aware of the mechanics and implications. If Mom lies about something this important, what else is she lying about? Mom and Dad had an affair while Mom was married to someone else. Rachel and Stan might have divorced by now, which would also cause a great deal of upheaval. Clearly custody arrangements have been made for Charlie, since he is now calling Danny "Danno/Daddy" and spending time with him. All of this started because Charlie was very ill, which is it's own kind of stress (he was in the hospital when she snuck out last Halloween). Grace now has to share her father as well as her mother with a much younger sibling. Until now Danno has just been hers. And that is all on top of the regular teenage girl drama, hormones and general upheaval. 

• Love 2

In reading this week's blog about the episode & the show in the Honolulu Star-Advertiser, I learned an interesting bit of trivia. Helen St. James (I think that's her name), the actress who played the lady Max said was literally scared to death, is the real-life mother of actor Martin Starr, who plays (played?) Toast, Five-0's favorite pakalolo (pot)-indulging computer hacker.

I'm happy Max & Sabrina got married (they were 1 of my choices for the "secret wedding" couple hinted at awhile back). But I kind of wish we'd gotten to see the wedding (even though the show never shows us enough of character weddings when there are any), & I'm wondering if they got married where Max was stationed on his Doctors Without Borders experience, or if they did it in Honolulu between when he got home & went back to work at the ME's office. I hope that means we'll see Rumer Willis back as Sabrina sometime, though it seems like winning Dancing with the Stars a few seasons ago opened up a lot more career opportunities for her & made her a lot busier.

• Love 1

I wish the death cult had been the main plot, with Kono and Adam talking to their captors, and the squad trying to figure out a) where they are and b) who has them. Or I wish they had expanded on the medium story more, and left out the kids altogether. That said, it was a perfectly serviceable Halloween episode, and I enjoyed it.

That's what I was thinking.  Both stories were interesting, but I think it would have worked better to have the haunted house story as the A storyline and the trick-or-treating with Jerry be the B story for the episode.  The whole 'Death Cult' story was too rushed.  Run, attack, chain-up, kick, run, shoot, etc.  It would have worked better as a stand-alone story.  That being said, I did enjoy the episode and was happy to see Max back (and married!).

16 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

My theory continues to be she's acting out due to her mother lying about Charlie's parentage. Grace was about 12 when Rachel came clean and I imagine it was a quite a shock. At that age she is well aware of the mechanics and implications. If Mom lies about something this important, what else is she lying about? Mom and Dad had an affair while Mom was married to someone else. Rachel and Stan might have divorced by now, which would also cause a great deal of upheaval. Clearly custody arrangements have been made for Charlie, since he is now calling Danny "Danno/Daddy" and spending time with him. All of this started because Charlie was very ill, which is it's own kind of stress (he was in the hospital when she snuck out last Halloween). Grace now has to share her father as well as her mother with a much younger sibling. Until now Danno has just been hers. And that is all on top of the regular teenage girl drama, hormones and general upheaval. 

I totally agree with you that at least some of Gracie's attitude might have to do with the knowledge that she & Charlie share both parents rather than just their mother, like everybody originally thought/was told. I even remember saying so in a previous post, likely from last season, & having someone disagree with me (which is fine, different strokes & all that). So I'll go on the record as agreeing with you. I just would maybe kinda like seeing Gracie & 1 or both of her parents talking about how she feels about all that, or Danny telling Steve she was talking about it with him &/or Rachel. I'd also like some sort of acknowledgement of the state of Rachel's marriage to Stan in light of all of this; especially since I think both of them mentioned to Danny the marriage was in trouble before Charlie was born.

Just as a point of interest, the cast/character list for this ep, which comes with the ep description used to start the thread (but isn't posted here with it), has Charlie's last name given as "Williams" as of this episode--he's "Charles (or Charlie) Williams" now, instead of "Charles William Edwards", as in S5 & 6. So I guess we're to believe all the paperwork to officially correct his biological father's info went through.

While I applaud the show's use of local Hawaiian talent to tell stories, (and I'm pretty sure they have to for the kids due to acting child labor laws), it does mean we're going to be stuck with some pretty flat acting from anyone outside the core and guest stars. 

Is this the 3rd or 4th Halloween Death Cult we've experienced?

I did enjoy Danny and Eric trying to spook the team when they came back to the house.

17 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

While I applaud the show's use of local Hawaiian talent to tell stories, (and I'm pretty sure they have to for the kids due to acting child labor laws), it does mean we're going to be stuck with some pretty flat acting from anyone outside the core and guest stars. 

Is this the 3rd or 4th Halloween Death Cult we've experienced?

I did enjoy Danny and Eric trying to spook the team when they came back to the house.

Teilor Grubbs isn't actually "local Hawaiian talent" any longer, though she was when the show started production. Her family is moving/has moved to LA so hopefully Teilor can expand her career, since acting opportunities are relatively few & far between in Hawaii (she will be flying back to Hawaii, as necessary, to continue playing Danny's daughter Gracie on the show). The Hawaii-based fans had a sort of "going away party" for her, in the last week or so, at a local restaurant & posted about it on their social media; Teilor also recently mentioned it on her social media as well.

Also, they don't always confine themselves to using Hawaii-based talent to play the kids' parts in the show, nor do they have to since child labor laws are pretty similar from state to state, I would think; though the Hawaiian child labor laws would be the applicable ones since the show films in Hawaii. Miya Cech, who played "Little Kono" in the flashbacks in S5's ep where Kono was briefly lost at sea while trying to undertake a solo outrigger trip around the islands her mother wanted to make & couldn't, due to illness, is from LA. And so is young actress Londyn Silzer, who's had a recurring role as Chin's orphaned niece, Sara, since the end of last season. 

Though Zach Sulzbach, the little boy who plays Danny's son & Gracie's brother, Charlie, is from Hawaii & (though he's not exactly a "kid"), the actor who plays Nahele, the local teen who McGarrett has taken under his wing in recent seasons, after he stole & stripped McGarrett's late Dad's vintage Mercury Marquis, is also Hawaii-based as I remember.

I enjoyed the haunting storyline.  Loved the story that Eric told about being the pink ranger and scared by Danny.  If it wasn't obvious, I am not a huge fan of Scott Cahn, but I truly liked his delivery during this bit.  Funny.  The way the house was rigged up was very cool too.

The Adam and Kono in peril storyline was enjoyable too, although I thought the previews made it seem like this was the "A" storyline instead of the "B".  Loved how Adam took out a guy with the chain and the axe flying and freeing Kono was awesome.

What absolutely did not work for me was the "C" storyline with Jerry and the kids.  Why even bother to have the kids on the show anymore?  I have long despised the actress who plays Grace.  She is a terrible actress.  I have always thought she was horrible, even when she was 6 or 7.  Back then I guess it was more passable because she was really young.  Now the character is 14 and is exceedingly extraneous.  I get that it is realistic that a 14 year old rolls her eyes and has teen angst.  It's just not very entertaining.

I can never be bothered to remember if Danny's kids live with him in Hawaii or with his ex-wife in Hawaii or with his ex-wife on the mainland.  If they are with Danny full-time, they don't seem to get mentioned often at all, or any talk about who is taking care of them when he is at work?  I doubt that Grace would adequately care for her little brother.  If it is Rachel in Hawaii, then when Danny got called in to work for the haunted house case, why wouldn't she have just taken the kids, instead of resorting to Danny having to hire Jerry?  I'd be much happier if they just shipped the kids off to Rachel or boarding school permanently.  Neither of them add anything to the show.

I was really disappointed by Max's costume.  Longish hair, a beard that looked like it was drawn on, and a wedding ring?  Boring.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, blackwing said:

I enjoyed the haunting storyline.  Loved the story that Eric told about being the pink ranger and scared by Danny.  If it wasn't obvious, I am not a huge fan of Scott Cahn, but I truly liked his delivery during this bit.  Funny.  The way the house was rigged up was very cool too.

The Adam and Kono in peril storyline was enjoyable too, although I thought the previews made it seem like this was the "A" storyline instead of the "B".  Loved how Adam took out a guy with the chain and the axe flying and freeing Kono was awesome.

What absolutely did not work for me was the "C" storyline with Jerry and the kids.  Why even bother to have the kids on the show anymore?  I have long despised the actress who plays Grace.  She is a terrible actress.  I have always thought she was horrible, even when she was 6 or 7.  Back then I guess it was more passable because she was really young.  Now the character is 14 and is exceedingly extraneous.  I get that it is realistic that a 14 year old rolls her eyes and has teen angst.  It's just not very entertaining.

I can never be bothered to remember if Danny's kids live with him in Hawaii or with his ex-wife in Hawaii or with his ex-wife on the mainland.  If they are with Danny full-time, they don't seem to get mentioned often at all, or any talk about who is taking care of them when he is at work?  I doubt that Grace would adequately care for her little brother.  If it is Rachel in Hawaii, then when Danny got called in to work for the haunted house case, why wouldn't she have just taken the kids, instead of resorting to Danny having to hire Jerry?  I'd be much happier if they just shipped the kids off to Rachel or boarding school permanently.  Neither of them add anything to the show.

I was really disappointed by Max's costume.  Longish hair, a beard that looked like it was drawn on, and a wedding ring?  Boring.

Small point: Teilor Grubbs was 8, in real life, when the show started, not 6 or 7. She recently celebrated her 15th birthday. The character of Grace is, & always has been, a year younger in the show. So Grace is 14, until Danny or someone else says otherwise.

They "bother" to continue to have the kids on the show because that was 1 of the reasons/the only reason why Danny was in Hawaii in the first place--he moved to Hawaii to maintain his visitation with his then only child, Grace, after his divorce from Grace's Mother, Rachel, who had remarried & moved to Hawaii with Grace & her new husband, wealthy real estate mogul Stan Edwards. Though probably pretty much everybody knew from the time Rachel told Danny she was pregnant, at the end of S1 when they were having an affair, that the expected baby was, indeed, Danny's, that wasn't confirmed until the child, Charlie, then 3, became ill at the end of S5 & needed a bone marrow transplant that Rachel, Grace, & his then-presumed father, Stan, weren't marrow donor matches for. They officially added Charlie to Danny's family in S5, really, because Scott Caan (not Cahn, & it is pretty obvious you're not a fan of his) is pretty good acting with kids & Teilor Grubbs had grown out of the "cute TV kid" stage so they brought another 1--the son Danny & Rachel conceived during their S1 affair--in to fill that "void" because the show's still airing. 

Grace may not be just rolling her eyes & otherwise behaving in "typical teenage angst". As @anna0852, I believe, said either upthread or in another thread (which I agree with) some of Grace's newfound issues may also have to do with her parents' affair & then finding out that her (half-) brother was actually from that affair & not the child of her Mother & Stan, like Rachel led everyone to believe in S2-S5.

As of (I think it was) S4, Danny has shared custody of Grace--she lives with both him & her Mother; with the sort of "revelation" that Charlie is also Danny's son, he presumably has a similar custody agreement regarding Charlie--he told Steve that he told Rachel, when she said Charlie was Danny's son, that he wanted the same custody agreement with Charlie he had with Grace (plus, as Danny said to Steve after learning he was Charlie's father, he missed out on the first 3 years of Charlie's life because Rachel decided to lie about Charlie's paternity after originally telling Danny he was the father; so maybe Rachel's being lenient about how much time they can spend together, although this was the first time we've seen him this season).

In the ep where Danny briefly went to prison in Colombia for killing Marco Reyes (the guy who killed his brother, Matt), Max--who was at Grace's school, along with Danny, for Career Day--took Grace to Rachel's (& Stan's?) home in Hawaii after the Feds arrested Danny for killing Reyes. Back when Danny was granted partial custody of Grace, that was because Rachel, Stan & the kids were supposed to move to Las Vegas for Stan's work. Danny was tired of Rachel just arbitrarily moving Grace because she felt like it, not taking how Grace might feel--being separated from her friends, & father, in Hawaii--into consideration. So he sued for custody of Grace & got partial custody, with her not being allowed to leave Hawaii without Danny's permission.

But I don't know/the show hasn't said if Stan's work in Vegas is over, or if he & Rachel are still married (there were allusions to marital problems when we met the Rachel & Stan characters in S1; then, of course, Stan found out his son was really Danny's when the kid became ill). Though it sounded like they were still married when Charlie got sick & Stan wasn't a marrow donor match. All we know is Rachel (at least) & Danny both have houses in Hawaii, they're sharing custody of their daughter, & probably sharing custody of their son now that Danny knows he's the boy's father.

Since you're not fond of the kids, I'd think you'd be happy when they're not mentioned & not care that they aren't being mentioned.

Grace is 14 in the show; Charlie is 4. Most 14-year-olds are fully capable, in real life anyway, of taking care of a 4-year-old. I think Grace can take care of Charlie, if she has to. I mean, as far as we know, it's not like he hasn't recovered from either the bone marrow transplant Danny was donor for, or he hasn't recovered from HLH, the illness that necessitated the transplant.

I'm assuming that Danny had to get Jerry to sit because it was his night for custody (we've seen in past seasons he enjoys going Trick-or-Treating with both of his kids; he went with Charlie, passing out candy to the other sick kids, in the hospital last season after the marrow transplant). Plus, Danny needed someone to make sure Grace didn't sneak out to a Halloween party on the North Shore (or anywhere else), which she did in last season's Halloween ep, because she was grounded this year for going to the party last year. I'm also assuming Rachel couldn't take the kids because she had plans of her own, either with Stan or with someone else. Adults go out on Halloween too. Or maybe Rachel wasn't even in Hawaii.

Max dresses at Halloween like Keanu Reeves' movie characters. Unfortunately, but probably realistically, they can't all be his most famous/popular characters. This year he was John Wick, a character I'm not familiar with. But, the character wore a wedding ring & it was a way for Max to surprise everyone with the news he'd married his longtime love, the bank teller Sabrina (she's been played by Rumer Willis, in an episode where we find out Max is interested in her then she's shot & badly injured, in a robbery gone bad, minutes later & in the Halloween episode with Corbin Bernsen as 1 of the bad guys).

• Love 1
18 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Grace may not be just rolling her eyes & otherwise behaving in "typical teenage angst". As @anna0852, I believe, said either upthread or in another thread (which I agree with) some of Grace's newfound issues may also have to do with her parents' affair & then finding out that her (half-) brother was actually from that affair & not the child of her Mother & Stan, like Rachel led everyone to believe in S2-S5.

I really do think that is a stretch and I agree with @SweetTooth that what seems to be happening is that viewers are making stuff up just to explain the character's repeated unpleasantness.  There has been nothing on the show to suggest anything other than she is a typical teenager who just wants to be on her phone and hang out with her friends.  There has been absolutely no indication that she has deep-seated resentment of her parents' divorce and affair and Charlie's hidden paternity and that all of this is her "acting out" because she is secretly mad at her parents.  Until there is a scene expressing this on the show, I think fan interpretations are just that.  If we are going that route, then I could just as easily suggest that Danny's constant whining and irritability stems from the fact that Scott Kahn resents having to travel to Hawaii for a job in which he is highly compensated, and he is unable to separate his own personal issues from what Danny Williams is supposed to feel, despite being given three referrals to top psychiatrists in Honolulu to help him deal with his issues.  Or maybe the drug stores in Hawaii don't carry his favourite pomade and hair gel and mousse (because you know he uses all of them for his ridiculous hairstyle) and that is the source of his attitude.

It's very easy to make up anything to explain why a certain character behaves the way she or he does on the show.  But until the writers put it on the paper and translate it to the screen, it's just fans being fans.

• Love 4

IMO, the writers do a pisspoor job of storylines that involve anything deep.  

God knows Grace has a myriad of reasons to have a bad attitude - being kidnapped, carjacked, seeing her father shot & being locked in a storage building (Aloha Girls), her father bring impaled and trapped in a collapsed building, her father being stabbed by his new girlfriend's ex, her father being arrested by heavily armed men in front of her classmates (which had to be both traumatizing and humiliating - you know at least a few classmates teased her), who knows what she was told about her fathers extradition/incarceration in Columbia, her parent's relationship, her mother and Stan's relationship - but the writers seem to be incapable of addressing any of it.  

Same thing with the storyline with Nahele.  We could suppose that the purpose of the story is to show that Steve is feeling alone in the world with the deaths of his father and aunt, his mother's "issues" and Catherine's leaving him as he was about to propose.  Steve is also at the age where most people start feeling their mortality more.  So we could, again, suppose that Steve's relationship with Nahele is supposed to show his  (and Nahele's ) desire for family.  But the writers have failed miserably in fleshing any of this out.  They present Nahele as a homeless kid that Steve cares for and tries to help, but they never mention where/with whom this kid is living, either before or after his father's reappearance and death.  He isn't mentioned for weeks, even in passing, then when he does show up we are supposed to think Steve cares about him.

Without any input from the writers (without whom these characters don't exist) why should we think that Grace is anything but a typical teenaged brat and Nahele is just an acquaintance Steve occasionally helps?  If they can't be bothered to give the storylines any depth, why should the viewers assume there is any depth?

• Love 3
On 10/29/2016 at 1:59 PM, SweetTooth said:

Them being kidnapped is this show's "They killed Kenny."

Love this. Dead on.

On 10/31/2016 at 9:14 AM, Traveller519 said:

Maybe, but the kid who plays Chin's niece is really good, in my opinion. I'm not sure if she's much older than the kid who plays Charlie, but she's not all giggles and cute.

On 11/1/2016 at 11:54 AM, blackwing said:

Loved the story that Eric told about being the pink ranger and scared by Danny.

I hated it. Seemed over the top cruel to me. It wasn't just startling the kid, but making him think he was going to get hurt or die. Yeah, I'm a grinch when it comes to Halloween pranks. Get off my lawn.

I hated the kidnapping plot - I prefer more motivation to the bad guys than one line at the end and I'm not a fan of that kind of over the top death cult stuff. I did enjoy the mystery, though. Mostly because I thought the gang's interactions were fun, and I like Danny's nephew. (which surprises me to no end).

• Love 2
(edited)
On November 4, 2016 at 11:15 AM, Clanstarling said:

Love this. Dead on.

Maybe, but the kid who plays Chin's niece is really good, in my opinion. I'm not sure if she's much older than the kid who plays Charlie, but she's not all giggles and cute.

I hated it. Seemed over the top cruel to me. It wasn't just startling the kid, but making him think he was going to get hurt or die. Yeah, I'm a grinch when it comes to Halloween pranks. Get off my lawn.

I hated the kidnapping plot - I prefer more motivation to the bad guys than one line at the end and I'm not a fan of that kind of over the top death cult stuff. I did enjoy the mystery, though. Mostly because I thought the gang's interactions were fun, and I like Danny's nephew. (which surprises me to no end).

Regarding the bolded. I did some quick Googling.

Zach Sulzbach, who plays Danny's son Charlie Williams (the character's last name is officially "Williams", in press releases for episodes he appears in, as of this season), was born in Minnesota on July 16, 2010, according to IMDb (& he has a fraternal twin, Luke). So that makes Zach age 6. Zach's character, Charlie, was 3 (Danny said so in Ep 524, aired in May, 2015) when he was introduced in S5; the last time Charlie's age was mentioned (I'm pretty sure by Danny)--either last season when Danny told Steve Charlie was more grateful to Danny for donating bone marrow to him than Steve was for Danny donating half a liver to him, or some time this season I don't remember right now--Charlie was said to be 4 (so they might have aged him up, I think, because I think he was said to be 4 before the anniversary of the airing of the ep in which he was "born"). In canon the character was born in Ep 214, Puʻolo (Package), which aired on Valentine's Day, 2012.

As for Londyn Silzer, who plays Chin's niece, Sara Malia Diaz, all I can find out about her online--including on IMDb--is that she has an older sister, Brooklyn, who plays (or played) Emma, the daughter of Drs. Patrick Drake & Robin Scorpio-Drake, on General Hospital. So I can't say how close in age she is to the young actor who plays Danny's son, Charlie.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add/fix some info & remove an extra parenthesis.
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

As for Londyn Silzer, who plays Chin's niece, Sara Malia Diaz, all I can find out about her online--including on IMDb--is that she has an older sister, Brooklyn, who plays (or played) Emma, the daughter of Drs. Patrick Drake & Robin Scorpio-Drake, on General Hospital.

Cripes, that makes me feel old. I remember when Robin Scorpio was born on General Hospital.

Thanks for checking!

On 11/4/2016 at 11:15 AM, Clanstarling said:

[T]he kid who plays Chin's niece is really good, in my opinion. I'm not sure if she's much older than the kid who plays Charlie, but she's not all giggles and cute.

Scarlett Estevez ("Trixie" on Lucifer), Miles Brown and Marsai Martin ("Jack" and "Diane" on black-ish and Aubrey Anderson-Emmons ("Lily" on Modern Family) are all really good child stars so they are available.

On November 4, 2016 at 11:15 AM, Clanstarling said:

Love this. Dead on.

They mentioned in tonight's Ep--the hostage-taking at Grace & Will's school dance--that Chin's niece, Sara, is 6. Kono mentioned it when she & Chin were talking after he finished doing the Microsoft version of FaceTiming with her, towards the beginning of the ep. But we still don't know how old Londyn Silzer, the actress who plays her, is.

On 29/10/2016 at 0:59 AM, dwmarch said:

Killing people who were trying to murder him is what go Adam sent to prison the first time, so I was wondering if it was back to jail for him.

On Friday, October 28, 2016 at 10:59 PM, dwmarch said:

This was the most unbelievable thing in the whole episode for me. Never mind the ax conveniently slicing the chains in a perfect flip. That, I can buy.

• Love 2
On 10/28/2016 at 2:15 PM, HurricaneVal said:

Oooooh!  It's the Halloween episode!  I love the Halloween episodes!  They are usually such campy fun...though the preview description seems a bit...dark.  But they all sound dark as described, but then you get Steve's surprised bug eyes, Danny's waving arms, Lou's false bravado, Chin's equanimity, Kono's barely veiled amusement...and then there's Max with his Keanu Reeves role costumes.  I heard Masi Oka's going to do a cameo tonight?  I hope that rumor is true.

I guffawed - loudly - at Lou's "Aw, HELL no" when the Danny and Eric had the front door slam.  HAHAHAHA!