Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E10: The Final

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I laughed when the pug kept on running. Also, Candice has a cute boyfriend. I was very touched by the interview with her family and by her reaction when she won. I wasn't her biggest fan at first, but she won me over (I believe it was when she got a little emotional talking about her gran). 

I was so sad that it was the final show I am going to watch (excepting possible older seasons). It has been a shelter from the storm. A place where nice people have fun, and there's inter-generational and multicultural harmony. 

I accidentally spoiled myself - going to an entertainment site that doesn't bother to hide their spoilers. Oh well, it was still a lovely ride.

I didn't notice her boyfriend's looks but from what I had read he was in jail for a long time. 

I do agree it was a place with nice people having fun in that manner. Its a big reason I loved it. I am not into over the top fake drama that all the US shows seem to think we need and want. The worse the drama is the more I stay away from those shows. This was a show that was pleasant to watch. I loved the helping hand given by others in times of need or the hug one might need in a stressful moment. Even seeing Mel and Sue jump during those times was great....and usually a bit of a laugh to go with the moment. Which it will be missed. 

I say I have stayed away from these threads over the seasons as to not end up seeing something I didn't want on who was gone each week or who won. 

• Love 3
On 8/14/2017 at 0:48 AM, rhys said:

I feel they should have been able to use empty ovens (from other stations).

I thought the same thing during the final showstopper.  That was a lot to bake in those little ovens.  (And are they that small, or do they just look small on tv?)  Yes, most wouldn't have more than one oven at home, but one wouldn't be tightly constrained to 5 hours or whatever if they were doing this at home, and much prep could be done in advance. 

I also thought it would be fun if each finalist could choose one of the dismissed contestants as a helper for the final showstopper.  It would be interesting to see how they could instruct or manage another person, especially in periods of such high stress.

It's a tough balance for the show to maintain, though. If they gave ample time for even the slowest, with everyone having time to cool down and have a cup of tea while waiting for time to be up, that would be unsatisfying in its own way.

• Love 1

I thought the times given for this season, especially, were really cutting things close. Of course you don't peg the time to the slowest baker, but for the more complicated bakes, a half hour more would have been useful. It's not as if the viewers see it. Or maybe the bakes need to be rethought somewhat? They take as long as they take, and if you want fancy decorations to boot, there has to be time enough for cool downs.

Though to be fair, a number of problems were weather-related, and no one can fix that. It's just bad luck that the tent was stinking hot when a whipped cream topping was required. I was glad Mary said they'd ignore that, because that was totally beyond anyone's control.

Yeah, I knew Candice was going to win when I saw that pavlova. It really was beautiful and creative. I can't say I ever warmed to her much but I was happy for her. She did deserve it in the end.

So the next season (which is not available to me) only Paul is left? He's my least favorite thing about the show. Still, I wish Netflix would put all the seasons, I've only been able to watch the four. I'm not going to go post in the season before this one's forum because I'm so far behind everyone else but I just wanted to say that I was delighted with Nadiya and Tamal last season. They were both just so much fun to watch.

• Love 1
On 1/10/2018 at 0:14 PM, festivus said:

Yeah, I knew Candice was going to win when I saw that pavlova. It really was beautiful and creative. I can't say I ever warmed to her much but I was happy for her. She did deserve it in the end.

So the next season (which is not available to me) only Paul is left? He's my least favorite thing about the show. Still, I wish Netflix would put all the seasons, I've only been able to watch the four. I'm not going to go post in the season before this one's forum because I'm so far behind everyone else but I just wanted to say that I was delighted with Nadiya and Tamal last season. They were both just so much fun to watch.

I and almost every media review and response I've read on Twitter can assure you that the recent series was as lovely as ever. I've read plenty of comments saying it has gotten even better, which would've sounded ridiculous before and they were often from skeptics who were reluctant to even give it a go. 

Paul was(is) considered a traitor and his comment that 'it's the format not the talent' was heavily criticized. Since the premiere of the Series 8 I noticed people saying exactly the same thing as if it had never been questioned. While I agree that the notion has been proved right Sandi and Noel deserve some credit for bringing a refreshing touch. Who knew the somewhat odd combination of comedians would work so well in this completely different environment. Definitely not many. Also Channel4 & Love Production for understanding the show's appeal and preserve it to a tee.) In other words, hopefully you guys get to watch the new series sooner than later. :)

• Love 1

My sister introduced me to GBBO on Netflix in February, with Season 5, and I've been binging ever since. I'm obsessed and loving it. I'm sad that I will be caught up through Season 8 soon. lol I suddenly want to bake and eat ALL the desserts. 

"12:02 - Sue comes over to ask inane questions about what Andrew is doing. So, Andrew, what are you doing?" 

Haha. I will really miss Mel and Sue (and Mary! ??). 

Andrew's family calling him Andy was so endearing and cute. I loved his spreadsheet planned to every five minutes. lol

I knew as soon as Candice didn't have raw, soggy, or underbaked pastry in the showstopper that she would win. She wasn't completely my cup of tea, but, congrats to her. 

I enjoyed Jane the most of the three finalists. Andrew was adorable. 

Selasi is also my GBBO boyfriend. He is cute, funny, and bakes/cooks...just dreamy. 

So cool that Candice and Jane were going on a baking road trip together. Very nice. 

• Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 4:48 AM, Rinaldo said:

No. As previously mentioned, they haven't (yet) appeared on PBS, which is their licensed entry to the US. They'll have no existence on US TV until (unless) that happens.

I've borrowed them from my local library.

• Love 1

I'm only three years late on this, but what a fun season.  I really liked Rav and Selasi.  Candice deserved to win, but all three finalists were great.  I really enjoyed Andrew's meticulous attention to detail all season.  Jane was very consistent.  I felt bad when her border wouldn't go on that cake at the end.  They all did a great job.

• Love 7

I am watching this on Netflix and remained unspoiled except that as I sat down to watch the final, an odd story popped up in my feed: 2016 GBBO winner Candice’s estranged husband said a published photo of her kiss with Paul Hollywood in 2017 put a strain on their relationship.  So in one headline I learn who won this season and am left to wonder about her relationship with one of the judges.  Talk about timing.

• Love 1
On 7/23/2020 at 1:19 PM, Crs97 said:

I am watching this on Netflix and remained unspoiled except that as I sat down to watch the final, an odd story popped up in my feed: 2016 GBBO winner Candice’s estranged husband said a published photo of her kiss with Paul Hollywood in 2017 put a strain on their relationship.  So in one headline I learn who won this season and am left to wonder about her relationship with one of the judges.  Talk about timing.

I saw that story, too. There was a small article with a picture of her in the Daily Mail. On the plus side, she owns her own pub now!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8545691/Bake-Offs-Candice-Brown-indicates-feeling-hopeless-split-husband-Liam-Macauley.html

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, peggy06 said:

I saw that story, too. There was a small article with a picture of her in the Daily Mail. On the plus side, she owns her own pub now!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8545691/Bake-Offs-Candice-Brown-indicates-feeling-hopeless-split-husband-Liam-Macauley.html

If what I read is true, it was a kiss on the cheek, not sure whose cheek.  She always made a thing about her lipstick (which I found clownish, not that you asked), and I think this is much ado about nothing, other than to garner further attention.  If her marriage couldn't survive a kiss on the cheek with basically a co-worker, than it wasn't long for the world anyway.

• Love 3

Her husband basically said it was innocent, but the photo was published right after he proposed and the public uproar was hard to deal with, as was his prison term for drugs becoming public knowledge.  He said the divorce is no one’s fault- just she is public and he is not.  It was just funny to be so proud of being unspoiled only to have it come undone so randomly.  I also thought she was silly about the lipstick, and I also got tired of people making a big deal about her cooking in heels.  I just thought it was a stupid choice on her part, not something that should net her bonus points.  Her desserts looked great, though!

14 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I just thought it was a stupid choice on her part, not something that should net her bonus points.

She was one of the first people on this program I though went on with the intention of becoming famous as opposed to just enjoying baking. I could be wrong, but that was the impression she gave me with her lipstick and her heels and her "oh, what, little old me" story line. Candice and Ruby are the only two bakers I've ever truly disliked on GBBO. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

She was one of the first people on this program I though went on with the intention of becoming famous as opposed to just enjoying baking. I could be wrong, but that was the impression she gave me with her lipstick and her heels and her "oh, what, little old me" story line. Candice and Ruby are the only two bakers I've ever truly disliked on GBBO. 

I remember thinking at the time whether she was a contestant that the missus could roll her eyes at while her hubby found that he didn't mind having to watch this show that year.

The Candice series was the first where I didn't watch the finale.

• LOL 1
20 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Candice and Ruby are the only two bakers I've ever truly disliked on GBBO. 

Our local PBS station re-ran the Candice finale last night.  She doesn't bug me, but I never cared for Ruby.

6 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I always liked Candice.

I didn't like her the first time but after that, on re-watching, I noticed her humor more and how helpful she was to others and grew to like her more.

• Love 2

tbh, it was a disappointing Final. I didn't hate any of the bakers. I didn't love any of them either. And the showstopper just felt mean. I get the argument about time management but it just seemed like an endurance test and not like they produced bakes that looked beautiful or tasted amazing, at least, not in the way they could have if it hadn't been such a chaotic challenge.