Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E10: The Final

• Start Topic

I love that her family brought their pug!

I loved how when the family ran to Candice, the pug just kept on running (probably to get at one of those sheep). I had to rewind and slo-mo that scene a couple or five times.

I just had such a feeling of sadness though throughout this entire Final, knowing it was the last of Mel, Sue and Mary on TGBBO.  

It's beyond disappointing that they're leaving. I only starting watching this show last season, so at least I have some more "time" with this cast, as I plan on seeking out the earlier seasons.

Edited by jaync
  • Love 4

I was also spoiled about Nadiya's win (thanks to her appearance on The Graham Norton show), but I still found myself rooting for all three finalists, cried when she won, and did the same thing when I re-watched the entire season with my dad (his first run-through) a couple of weeks later.

I was spoiled on last year's winner thanks to this very episode thread! I knew the risks of reading here, though - I'm watching a year behind, it is what it is. I just got into GBBO with the start of this season and have been catching up on past seasons via Netflix downloaded episodes at the gym. I've never had 53 minutes of exercise go by so quickly and am going to be so very sad when there are no more for me to watch (I've seen seasons 4 and 5 in full and just finished episode 4 of season 6). Bring on the three unaired seasons, PBS! In hindsight, it might be a good move for them to have them in the vault given how disastrous the next iteration looks.

4 hours ago, Qoass said:

Love this show. Please, PBS, give us those first two seasons. I don't wanna go to YouTube.

I can't even find them on YouTube, only the first ep of the first season :( Mary was not glammed up yet, and they did move from place to place but I would love to see the entire season somewhere. First three really.

PBS                                  BBC

Season 1        =             Season 5

Season 2        =             Season 4

Season 3        =             Season 6

Season 4        =             Season 7

20 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I can't even find them on YouTube, only the first ep of the first season :( Mary was not glammed up yet, and they did move from place to place but I would love to see the entire season somewhere. First three really.

PBS                                  BBC

Season 1        =             Season 5

Season 2        =             Season 4

Season 3        =             Season 6

Season 4        =             Season 7

Thank you for this - I could never make sense of people referring to PBS and BBS seasons with different numbers.  Now I get it.  pbs.com has the pbs seasons 1-4 available.  I'm not sure if they're all free, I have a subscription.  I only started watching last year (PBS season 3), so I am going to go back to the other 2 pbs.com has available.  Has PBS ever showed the earlier BBS seasons, even if just off-season or in a marathon?

58 minutes ago, Qoass said:

Another thing I just remembered: it appears the cake stand was inscribed "The Great British Baking Show".

you are right! Do you think they photoshopped it for PBS?

Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 2.40.43 PM.png

I didn't immediately find a pic of Candace with her stand, but other winners clearly show it saying "BAKE OFF"

article-2472013-18E9BE1D00000578-86_634x

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 1

Congratulations, Candice.  She brought a tear to my eye when she said something to the effect of her win now made her know/feel she was good enough.  So terrible to go through life that way.  I can relate ;)

• Love 4

Thanks for finding that image, @dleighg. The photos I've seen have a stand that says Bake Off so either they did some technical wizardry or they shot some alternative footage for the U.S. broadcast.

I was rooting for Jane, then Andrew, with Candace last. I just found her annoying and I couldn't stand her accent. She is a good baker, but really didn't win by much.  I hope we get the first three seasons. I have little interest in watching the new version.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, chaifan said:

Has PBS ever showed the earlier [BBC] seasons, even if just off-season or in a marathon?

No, never. They may turn up in the future, but that's all guesswork.

No doubt it's the pedantic teacher in me, but even if one doesn't care for her, we can at least accord her her actual name: Candice with an i.

• Love 6

I liked Candice from the beginning (tbh, as much as I like all of the contestants) and was happy to see her win but I would have been happy with any of the three finalists.  I like finals like this one where everyone does pretty well and the winner is the person who absolutely nails it. 

Thanks Rinaldo for the spelling tip. I'm not sure where I got the wrong spelling in my head.  I googled her to see what's happened since the airing of the show and turned up the cutest article about her taking time off from teaching because of the opportunities and I particularly liked this quote:

"Brown said that children at her school were surprised to see her back after viewers saw her win the series in October - the last before the show moves to Channel 4 - because they thought that she was now a millionaire.  "They asked me why I was back after the final as I was now a millionaire. I explained to them that I hadn't won a million but, in fact, a cake stand!"

• Love 7

Candice deserved the win.  She was creative, fearless, and ambititous throughout.  I loved the contrast between Andrew's minute-by minute spreadsheet and Candice's notes which said "5 hours.  Enjoy!" She bakes by instinct and she had it all in her head.

• Love 9

OH, show, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways. I don't know how many times I smile and even chuckle at the cuteness of the contestants and Mel and Sue and the beauty of the scenery and animals. I can do without Paul but Mary is a treasure. This show is a balm for the soul. Yes, I will watch the new version when it airs here in the US in 500 years but until then I will watch my recorded reruns and earlier episodes on YouTube.

I was rooting for Jane or Andrew. I got tired of Candice's mouth pout, but she deserved the win and I don't dislike her.

Did I mention I love this show?

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

And I'm sure you all did the same thing we did . . . as soon as Mel and Sue said, "On your mark, get set, . . . " we'd yell out B-A-K-E in the silliest voices we could invent.

The first season shown on PBS, I cringed when they shouted BAKE! What was wrong with me? I quickly grew to love it and now find it endearing. I love those ladies.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

OH, show, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways. I don't know how many times I smile and even chuckle at the cuteness of the contestants and Mel and Sue and the beauty of the scenery and animals. I can do without Paul but Mary is a treasure. This show is a balm for the soul. Yes, I will watch the new version when it airs here in the US in 500 years but until then I will watch my recorded reruns and earlier episodes on YouTube.

I was rooting for Jane or Andrew. I got tired of Candice's mouth pout, but she deserved the win and I don't dislike her.

Did I mention I love this show?

I could do without Paul myself. I can't stand how much of an asshole he can be. Mary I love. Mel and Sue are just a crack up. I miss how this show has been. I sadly don't see anything about it being the same with them all gone. I don't see the new hosts jumping in like Mel and Sue to help out (and maybe not the bakers either with each other). 

I have to say I was rooting for Andrew and then Jane. I am not a fan of Candice. The whole season she annoyed me with her faces. If she hadn't done those I might have been able to deal with her but I just couldn't get past all her faces and how fake her face seemed. There was also something else about her that I just couldn't get past as well but I can't put my finger on it. I usually am happy with whoever wins though this one just wasn't that way for me. 

I saw she is supposed to be doing Dancing on Ice over there. 

3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

And I'm sure you all did the same thing we did . . . as soon as Mel and Sue said, "On your mark, get set, . . . " we'd yell out B-A-K-E in the silliest voices we could invent.

My husband breaks out in his fake British accent (which can at times sound a little more like Dame Maggie Smith) at times when he is making something in the kitchen and will yell it. LOL 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, magdalene said:

I wonder if the first three seasons are available on netflix?  I didn't see them there.

No. As previously mentioned, they haven't (yet) appeared on PBS, which is their licensed entry to the US. They'll have no existence on US TV until (unless) that happens.

27 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Also, Candice can't help what her face does. All those comments make me very uncomfortable. The men didn't get that kind of scrutiny.

Exactly. And also, people LOVED all the faces Nadiya made (me included) so I don't understand why there seems to be a backlash when Candice does the same thing.  

• Love 14

Totally agree with you guys about the hostility towards Candice. It seems like people are also put off by her lipstick, which is silly. It's just makeup and she's having fun with it, who cares?

Edited by MerBearStare
  • Love 18
31 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Also, Candice can't help what her face does.

This is true,  I do think, however, that she deliberately accentuated it with the extreme choices in lipstick color.  That's what I found a little off-putting.  "Look at me and my wacky facial expressions" crossed my mind more than once.  I wonder if she does that when not on TV.

• Love 1

I don't like Candice so her faces annoyed me. If I'd liked her, I would have found them cute. Something about her personality just put me off from the start and I never warmed to her. I'm sure she's lovely, and she did deserve to win, I just didn't care for her, at all.

• Love 4

I'm another who didn't like Candice that much, but the beauty of this show and it's cast is how relative that is.  While she was my least favorite on this season, I still like her better than probably 90% of those on other reality shows.

Edited by lh25
Realized there was a better word
  • Love 6

My youngest daughter, a beautiful young woman with mild to moderate Resting Bitch Face, has made me particularly sensitive to the criticism of Candice's expressions.  I strongly suspect there's some element of sexism at play, because we live in a world where men are seldom scolded to "Smile!" or asked "What's the matter?" because they're wearing a look of detachment or concentration.  Please understand, I'm not labeling anyone who doesn't like Candice as sexist, but I think it's helpful to be aware of the RBF phenomenon and how it shapes our perceptions. I've been through a similar journey with the topic  of vocal fry, which drives me absolutely crazy and which I learned is seldom identified or considered an "issue" unless the speaker is a young woman.  

Edited by Portia
  • Love 22
4 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

This is true,  I do think, however, that she deliberately accentuated it with the extreme choices in lipstick color.  That's what I found a little off-putting.  "Look at me and my wacky facial expressions" crossed my mind more than once.  I wonder if she does that when not on TV.

I don't think it would have matter what lipstick she had that didn't matter to me at all. I do think she does pick choices that will show more of her faces she does with her mouth though. It just comes off like the many others on SM that have to take their billion selfies with duck face and all. It didn't seem a stress thing to me because she was doing it other times as well when the stress would have been lifted in the moment. 

2 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I don't like Candice so her faces annoyed me. If I'd liked her, I would have found them cute. Something about her personality just put me off from the start and I never warmed to her. I'm sure she's lovely, and she did deserve to win, I just didn't care for her, at all.

This is the thing it was more than just the faces like I said. There was something else about her. I know I wouldn't have found the faces cute no matter if I liked her or not. 

3 minutes ago, Portia said:

My youngest daughter, a beautiful young woman with mild to moderate Resting Bitch Face, has made me particularly sensitive to the criticism of Candice's expressions.  I strongly suspect there's some element of sexism at play, because we live in a world where men are seldom scolded to "Smile!" or asked "What's the matter?" because they're wearing a look of detachment or concentration.  Please understand, I'm not labeling anyone who doesn't like Candice as sexist, but I think it's helpful to be aware of the RBF phenomenon and bow it shapes our perceptions. I've been through a similar journey with the topic  of vocal fry, which drives me absolutely drives me crazy and which is seldom identified or considered an "issue" unless the speaker is a young woman.  

IMO everyone has their RBF moments. Some obviously do look that way more often then others but I know with some that have been told that I haven't found it to be the case. With Candice its not what I consider RBF but just more of all the ridiculous looking faces made in SM that some end up constantly doing no matter what. There is a local news lady that I can't watch because she has always got one of those faces on and is beyond over the top in behavior and yelling over the other newscasters. Yet her faces she makes are just to much and mind you she isn't a young lady either but a 50 yr old doing them. Which I also think she has had her lips injected and such too. I have to say for me this has nothing to do with just the faces alone like I said but there was just something else rubbing me the wrong way about her as well. I haven't felt like that over others on this show before...odd faces made and all. Which yes others have done as well. I have never felt like these people are trying to gain from this show but with how made up she did herself compared to others and past seasons it kind of came off a little much....and more so seeing she is supposed to be doing another "reality" show there and quit her day job. Maybe she is a nice lady I have no clue but something just didn't sit well there. 

I seriously hate the topic of vocal fry or hearing others go on about how they need to correct how someone talks because its not proper grammar. I have seen so much of that from other shows here and I have to skip past those posts. BTW, I have seen posts where guys were attacked over vocal fry and how they make faces and such as well. 

• Love 2

We are talking about a 'perception'. People perceive people differently all the time and it may have very little to do with what the actual personality is. Perception just is. It is there.  It's sorta like that Q rating or whatever that measures 'likeability', it's not that someone (or something) is actually likeable, just how it (they) are perceived.

• Love 4

I liked Candice during the competition; she baked interesting things and personally I enjoyed most of her facial expressions.

I certainly don't think that the people who were irked by her are being sexist.  Full stop.   I do wonder, however, whether her expressions were more irritating to other women than they were to men?  Not that all women disliked her or all men liked her etc., etc.  It's just that sometimes I've had female friends bothered by something said or done by another woman that I never noticed and the flipside has been true with my irritation at some mutual male friend that didn't bother them.

• Love 2

Finally got around to watching the episode. I had learned from somewhere else who the winner was, so there was no great suspense or urgency for me.

Every baker got his share of hits and misses in this episode, a reflection of the season in general. 

Andrew's chocolate looked spectacular and yummy, as confirmed by the judges' comments, and it might have been enough to push him in the lead after his excellent technical. But he was foiled by the curse of the soggy bottoms, as well as some bland scones. I would like to try the recipe for that cake, but I am not sure his grandmother would have allowed him to publish it.

It sounded so good from their comments that I thought Paul might bestow on Andrew also a double handshake, but it did not come to pass. I guess he felt he had already gone too much outside of the "tradition" and did not wish to demean further the value of his regal gesture.

Jane's son is also a ginger!

On 2017-08-09 at 1:21 PM, Qoass said:

Candice's expression is a "moue" and I celebrate any reason to use that enjoyable word.

I did not know the word is also used in English, because people (myself included) usually refer to it as a "pout" in that language; thanks for that bit of information. Whichever of those two words is used, it is a perfect description of the attitude she projects, or at least how I interpreted it.

Edited by Florinaldo
19 hours ago, rab01 said:

I liked Candice during the competition; she baked interesting things and personally I enjoyed most of her facial expressions.

I certainly don't think that the people who were irked by her are being sexist.  Full stop.   I do wonder, however, whether her expressions were more irritating to other women than they were to men?  Not that all women disliked her or all men liked her etc., etc.  It's just that sometimes I've had female friends bothered by something said or done by another woman that I never noticed and the flipside has been true with my irritation at some mutual male friend that didn't bother them.

My husband found it annoying as well. I do get what you are saying though and its just that we are all different in how we view things and have opinions....which is ok otherwise we would be boring. 

• Love 1

Re: the questions about earlier (and future!) seasons on PBS/Netflix: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/11/arts/television/british-baking-show.html

The broadcaster said it would air one of the three earliest seasons of the show — which is called “The Great British Baking Show” in the United States and “The Great British Bake Off” everywhere else — but after that, things will be different.

For one, PBS, which also licenses “The Great British Baking Show” to Netflix, said it had not yet decided whether to air future seasons in the United States.

• Love 2

My mom -- who doesn't even watch the show! ever! -- happened to catch the last two episodes and told me about the cute little pig sausage rolls that the "young lady who won" made. Spoilers, Mom!

I don't actually mind being spoiled (and I knew last year's winner before the season began), but I wouldn't have minded some suspense. "Young lady" could only describe one of the final contestants. But the suspense wouldn't have lasted for long anyway as Candice clearly rose above.

Having a rubber face that has annoyed many and gotten me in trouble over the years, I was not bugged by her expressions. I don't do it for attention, it's just a tic, so I tend to assume the same about others. 

They were all lovely. All of them. I shall miss this show.

• Love 12
21 hours ago, adam807 said:

Re: the questions about earlier (and future!) seasons on PBS/Netflix: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/11/arts/television/british-baking-show.html

Thank you for posting that. After reading it I have decided that even if it was by chance to air here I will not watch it. I am already rubbed the wrong way by a couple of the new people and what was said there. I find it a bit add that Prue Leith, who it says is an adovcate for healthy eating, is doing this show in Mary Berry's place. While not all is unhealthy on the show there are plenty of things that can be considered that and more so. Then there is this:

her catchphrase for dismissing unappetizing baked goods would be: “It’s not worth the calories.”

It seems a bit much IMO and sounds very rude. So if she doesn't like how something looks or what is in it will this be what she says because she doesn't want to even taste it? I have always understood not tasting things that were under baked but if this goes beyond that.....SMH

Watched the as much as I could stomach of Noel Fielding's clip they had and it was not funny at all IMO. Sandi Toksvig doesn't seem much to me either from the show she hosts. 

I was happy to see this though....so good for them. 

Last month, the BBC announced that Ms. Perkins and Ms. Giedroyc would host a reboot of a popular family-themed game show, “The Generation Game,” that first aired in the 1970s. 

I had figured since BBC was similar to PBS that it would either not air this show anymore with the change in channel or it would be up in the air for a bit on what would go on. I am sadden still about what has happened to this show. I really enjoyed it and how it didn't have all the over the top stupid "drama" with it but instead them all cheer each other on and help out in times of need. It was a nice change of pace from everything else on. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Evil Queen said:

It seems a bit much IMO and sounds very rude. So if she doesn't like how something looks or what is in it will this be what she says because she doesn't want to even taste it? I have always understood not tasting things that were under baked but if this goes beyond that.....SMH

She's not fit to fluff Mary's hair.

• Love 10

I managed not to be spoiled this year, and was glad that things stayed neck and neck going into the showstopper.  I agree, it was obvious Candice won as soon as the tasting was done.  She nailed it all and looked in control while doing it.  The coolest thing she did this episode was the Victoria crown on the back of that silicone mold.  I never thought it would hold together, but it did and it looked amazing.  I'm one of those who isn't her biggest fan, but I was touched when her take on the win was that she was 'good enough'.

I have a sentimental affection for Andrew because he is a fellow spreadsheeter and nerd, and I loved a lot of what Jane makes.  Give Andrew a few more years experience and he could be even better, with a little more instinct to go with the logic.

I will miss Mary Berry.  There is a lot of warmth and experience and a little mischief about her.

• Love 6

Well, congratulations to Candice.  Although she wasn't my favorite, I have to admit she did an awesome job all season.  I would have liked Jane to win because she was my favorite.  But the wonderful thing about this show is that the finalists are all so good and seem like such nice people that really whoever wins I am happy for him/her!

• Love 7
On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 4:17 PM, Rinaldo said:

No, never. They may turn up in the future, but that's all guesswork.

No doubt it's the pedantic teacher in me, but even if one doesn't care for her, we can at least accord her her actual name: Candice with an i.

No doubt it's the pedantic editor in me, but even if one doesn't care for Candice, one can at least be grammatically consistent.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, rhys said:

I feel they should have been able to use empty ovens (from other stations).

I think the single oven represents the usual home baker who has just one (unless you're one of those lucky owners of a double oven). However, home bakers are usually accorded an extra 5 or 10 minutes to get the goodies "up to the checkered tablecloth" !

On 8/7/2017 at 9:46 AM, jaync said:

I loved how when the family ran to Candice, the pug just kept on running (probably to get at one of those sheep). I had to rewind and slo-mo that scene a couple or five times.

It's beyond disappointing that they're leaving. I only starting watching this show last season, so at least I have some more "time" with this cast, as I plan on seeking out the earlier seasons.

I laughed when the pug kept on running. Also, Candice has a cute boyfriend. I was very touched by the interview with her family and by her reaction when she won. I wasn't her biggest fan at first, but she won me over (I believe it was when she got a little emotional talking about her gran). 

I was so sad that it was the final show I am going to watch (excepting possible older seasons). It has been a shelter from the storm. A place where nice people have fun, and there's inter-generational and multicultural harmony. 

I accidentally spoiled myself - going to an entertainment site that doesn't bother to hide their spoilers. Oh well, it was still a lovely ride.

• Love 4