Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: It's About Frank

I think this was my favorite episode of the season so far. I like when they take a break from the COTW to focus on the characters.

Damn, I thought I was going to hate Bonnie and Frank having sex (I've always gotten more of a brother/sister vibe from them, and I love Bonnie and loathe Frank) but something about the whole build-up really worked for them. I won't be bummed if Frank is #UnderTheSheet, but part of me does kind of want him and Bonnie to run off and hike with their cute babies.

I know she's got a serious problem, but damn if I didn't laugh at Annalise dancing around her house with a bottle of booze. They should let Viola be silly/comedic more often, she's downright charming.

I do think that drunk dial to Nate is gonna come back to bite her, though. They have him sleeping with Atwood for a reason. I think she's gonna snoop on his phone, listen to the voicemail, and show it to the president, ruining Annalise's chances of getting her license (and her job back).

I find the Annalise/Sam relationship to be all kinds of messed up, but I liked the scene of her cleaning out all her booze and flashing back to moments with him. Like any relationship, it still did have its good/heartfelt/meaningful moments, and I liked seeing it fleshed out.

Was not expecting Michaela's adoptive family to be white, or that they're where her southern roots come from. When she first talked about being adopted, and when Aiden's mother called her "backwater bayou trash" or whatever wonderful turn of phrase she used, I thought that her birth parents were southern and she was adopted by a more affluent family, though she always admired her biological family for recognizing that they couldn't raise her and giving her to someone that (presumably) could. Also, wasn't she adopted as an older child, not a baby or toddler? Or am I conflating her circumstances with Caleb's? Either way, I expect we'll be getting more scenes with her mother during the last episode when they presumably focus on Fire Night.

I think Connor is still alive. I think news might have come on about the fire at Annalise's and he ran off assuming Oliver was at the house and left his phone by mistake.

17 hours ago, Dancingjaneway said:

Here's my big issue though why the HELL is Meggie telling them that she was pregnant????!! She has NO right to do that. That's breaking patient/doc confidentiality. They aren't family so they have no right to know. 

Especially because the closer we get to Fire Night and Laurel still hasn't had The Sex, the chance is higher that she doesn't even know she's pregnant. Like, uh, Bonnie and Oliver do not get to know that information before she does.

• Love 3

Telling Oliver and Bonnie that Laurel is there and in critical condition is fine, telling them that there are issues with smoke inhalation is probably also fine given that they are fully aware she was pulled out of a burning house (so obviously she inhaled a lot of smoke), but telling them that Laurel is pregnant is wayyyyy beyond anything she had any right to do. That would have been drilled into Meggy long before she set foot in a hospital for her first rotation. No excuses.

I hope Laurel survives to give Meggy hell for that.

• Love 5

I have no issue about not having seen 'the sex' Laurel had to have, the way this show is structured all they need to do is wait for her to wake up and have a flashback to the event. Appropriately timed for the length they want to give her pregnancy.

I've also decided that Oliver needs to cover up a murder, that way he'll be on equal ground again with Connor and they can get back together and go off into the sunset, or Stanford, together.

The phone being in Michaela's sofa makes some sense as that is where Connor has been sleeping, right?

When Annaliese was boxing up the booze I thought she was going to carry it out of the house and dump it somewhere, instead she carried the box over to the trashcan and put them in there...wtf!! how was that going to help anything, why would you make it a two step job like that? if you want to put it in the trash can in your kitchen then do it and leave out the box!

• Love 4
5 hours ago, love2lovebadtv said:

By the way, why was she at her mother's house in the first place?

She wasn't.  Michaela's mother was visiting her.  She mentioned having found Connor's phone in "[her] daughter's" (Michaela) sofa.  So I think Connor was visiting Michaela at the time.

• Love 1

The only thing that I found weird about the new flashforward is that it suggests Michaela isn't involved in whatever happens on Fire Night..?  Usually the entire K5 is somehow intertwined (aside from Asher initially ), so I found that a weird creative choice. Glad that Michay is alright tho. 

• Love 1

I know I loved this episode because I found myself talking to the television.

I said "yes!" out loud when Bonnie hugged Frank, because like him I wasn't sure if it was going to be a hug or a slap. (The poor lonely little psycho deserved a hug, okay?) I always enjoyed their dynamic... of course she's not really threatened when he walks into her shower to hand her the phone because of course he's not looking. He presumably insisted that she have the bed to herself and that he would sleep on the floor, but they ended up on the floor together which is probably symbolic of something or other. I've always thought Liza Weil was terrific, but she was especially so when Bonnie was listening to Frank talk about running away together.

Then I said "no!" out loud when Annalise pulled the alcohol back out of the garbage. Not that I really thought she was going to quit, and her drunk dancing was great, but still.

The Sam flashbacks were the perfect mix, ranging from genuinely sweet with the giggling over the terrible booze, to somewhat controlling with the push to have a child, to downright twisted. Okay, so Sam found this young man who so deeply believed that he was evil that he tearfully tried to keep himself in prison where he'd been since childhood. Sam set about convincing said young man that, really, there's good in him... and then went ahead and emotionally blackmailed him into murdering Sam's pregnant child mistress.

Michaela's Southern coming out, and Asher/Connor's amusement, was something nice to lighten things up just a little.

Great episode.

• Love 10

I found it so, so funny the way Laurel and Bonnie just casually lied to each other. Bonnie "Are you somewhere you can talk" (paraphrased) Laurel "I'm in my car" (while standing in a hallway outside of the classroom? library? wherever). Laurel "You'll call me if you find Frank" Bonnie "If I see him" (While looking directly at Frank) ! so funny!

And Frank didn't actually kill his father did he? he was paralyzed and is now in a wheelchair?

• Love 7
8 hours ago, love2lovebadtv said:

Ahhh yes, you're bringing that conversation back for me. I guess that leaves room for freedom in her backstory. I didn't get the sense it was anything tragic, just beneath who she wants to be.

By the way, why was she at her mother's house in the first place? Makes me think she's a part of this story with Annalise's house. I don't think Connor is with her because the mother made it seem like it was definitely her daughter's phone (not possibly her daughter's friend's phone). 

Since Connor is sleeping on Michaela's couch and the mother mentioned the phone being in the couch and vibrating her but, or words to that effect, I concluded that the mother came to visit Michaela and Connor left the apartment without his phone for some reason.  I think it is a red herring because it is so easily explained away.

• Love 1

I'm so sick of Michaela's self-righteous, criminal bullshit.  You have no right to steal someone's laptop and hack into it, and yes, doing so does prove how selfish and spoiled you are.  Stealing his possessions and hacking into them is morally and legally worse then him putting up fliers rightfully/truthfully outing Analise as a killer/liar/coverer-up of multiple murders.  And adding sexist slurs into it about him having 'small balls,' just makes her even more pathetic.  Some ridiculous person who steals people's stuff and then intimidates them from reporting it by employing sexist verbal abuse is not something I will ever cheer on.

Edited by Glade
  • Love 1

Can we talk about the hair in last night's episode. Annalise's various styles were giving me life. And the 90s boy band hair we saw on Frank  in those jail flashbacks was amusing.

Since when is it ok to marry your patient? And then tell her you knew she'd be easy. 

Good point! I'd love some flashbacks to when/how Sam and Annalise got together. 

Maybe I'm weird, but I have no problems with the flashbacks; my mother stopped watching because she had issues with them too, maybe it's just the way some people are wired. 

I like the flashbacks too. And they do a great job on this show of linking them to the present day.

I wouldn't mind an Annalise/Soraya ship. That could be complex and messy and sensual - all the things I love about this show.

I"m not saying that its romantic that Frank killed her skeezy father, but I'm not NOT saying it either. 

Ha! This is pretty much where I am.

I realized last night that I don't want to lose any member of this cast. I'm gonna be hurt no matter who's under that sheet.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, Glade said:

I'm so sick of Michaela's self-righteous, criminal bullshit.

I don’t think she is much worse than the others.  They are pretty much all morally compromised.  At first I thought Oliver might be the moral compass in this batch, but he seems perfectly willing, if not eager, to get his hands dirty.  I think Asher and Connor may be a little more reluctant than the others, but that’s not saying much. 

• Love 1
On 10/20/2016 at 11:00 PM, Lady Calypso said:

There's just so much foreshadowing to Frank's death, though.

On 10/20/2016 at 11:52 PM, secnarf said:

Confirmation that Eve is not the body! Makes me happy

Last week made me fear it was Eve (nobody on this show gets to be happy!)  So I was glad to hear it was a male.  (I hope it's not Asher -- that goofy doofus is my fave; and McGorry is a real mench.) 

Hurrah to Shondaland for not killing the lesbian!

2 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

Can we talk about the hair in last night's episode. Annalise's various styles were giving me life.

I LOVE "ADA Yummy"s hair.  And Meggy's for that matter.  You can tell that Black women are heavily involved in the show -- they get the different types of hair.

• Love 7
On 10/21/2016 at 3:06 PM, Asha124 said:

The Sex Circle is almost complete:

Wes - Laurel - Frank - Bonnie - Asher - Michaela - Aiden - Connor - Oliver

I'd like to say I'm done with the show but I'm sure I'll be back to check if they managed to fit Annalise somewhere in-between (now that I think about it I'm sure there is connection through the Rebecca&Lila&Sam mess... oh my)

You're right.

The sex circle goes => Annalise-Sam-Lila-Griffin-Rebecca-Wes-Laurel-Frank-Bonnie-Asher-Michaela-Aiden-Connor-Oliver

Edited by Dee
13 hours ago, Deanie87 said:

I loved the hairdresser scene as well.  Not only Mary J. Blige, but Hi Geena from Martin!  Hi DeLonda from The Wire! They both seem too big of actresses to just appear in that one scene, so I would love to see them return at some point.

The woman sweeping wasn't Tisha Campbell (aka Gina). She was Paula Jai Parker, who herself has been in a lot of different roles.

Based on the conversation between Wes and Laurel, and his comment that he was sick of lying to Meggy, it's possible that they have already had sex, and we just didn't see it.

I didn't like Asher repeatedly mocking Michaela, mostly b/c it's another example of Asher being a tool. The thing that bothers me most about him is that he acts goofy and says stupid things all the time, and then when someone calls him on it or says they don't take him seriously, he acts all wounded.

I really didn't like the president giving in to Annalise's lawsuit threat so easily. Their confrontation last week was so great. I like it when people stand up to Annalise.

Viola Davis killed it in the bathroom scene. It was refreshing to see AK admit that Nate was too good to her. That poor man deserves better. It's unfortunate for him that he loves her so much.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Love 2

Bloody hell, that was a doozy of an episode.

Loved all the flashbacks with Frank, Annalise and Sam in this episode. Great insight into all of those characters.

Frank and Bonnie's scenes together were great, but I'm not surprised that he legged it after they slept together.

Annalise knows about Frank thanks to Wes and Laurel. Okay then.

I expected the victim to be male. Nice that this episode confirmed as well as showing Michaela with her mother, who I was surprised to meet in this episode.

I did love the verbal smackdown Simon received in this one. Him being behind the flyers was okay but was it really out of jealousy or is there something deeper at play.

Don't care about Nate and the female DA and I'm curious as to why Michaela has Connor's phone as well, 9/10

• Love 2
7 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

Based on the conversation between Wes and Laurel, and his comment that he was sick of lying to Meggy, it's possible that they have already had sex, and we just didn't see it.

I think it was the "my mother died from cancer" thing that did it.  It is one thing to tell a quick one time lie.  But now that he has had to repeat that lie to Meggy's father,  it had become a bigger lie somehow.   If he becomes further enmeshed in her life he has to tell her more lies.  I can see how hard it is to have to guard everything you say around someone.  Which is why it is probably easier for the K5 to rift into relationships with each other.  They all know each others' most damning truths.

59 minutes ago, doram said:

I saw it as good-natured teasing - and genuine interest in Michaela who's a bit of a mystery in that group - and it was one of the few times I got a student / friends-who-aren't-just-partners-in-murder vibe from the Keating 5. Once they realized it was a sensitive topic and not just Michaela being, well, a Princess, they backed off. 

Yeah, this is exactly how I read it.  Especially as the first time Asher brough it up he said some of it comes out during sex.  And then Michaela clapped back with "we just broke up".  So it felt good-natured up until the point Michaela really let them know she was sensitive about it.  Their faces fell after that and you do get the sense they aren't going there anymore.  And you're right,  they do all now feel more like friends than suspicious co-conspirators.

I will say I loved Asher's faux southern accent even if he did kinda sound like Foghorn Leghorn.

ETA:  I loved that scene in the beauty parlor.  The conversation was so natural and fun.  Good to see another side of Annalise.  And it is nice to see a beauty parlor scene  I swear I have seen so many shows with scenes in barber shops with men talking man shit  (Luke Cage, Blackish, Lethal Weapon) so it is nice to see the gender switch flipped 

Viola Davis was fire this episode!  The hard core lawyer, the raving drunk, the pitiful wife, the code-switching sistah.  So good!

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, Dee said:

You're right.

The sex circle goes => Annalise-Sam-Lila-Griffin-Rebecca-Wes-Laurel-Frank-Bonnie-Michaela-Aiden-Connor-Oliver

Do we know if Wes and Laurel have actually done it? Best I can remember, they shared a kiss when they were in Cleveland (or wherever) investigating the murder of Wes's mom. And then they guiltily broke that off.

13 hours ago, Glade said:

I'm so sick of Michaela's self-righteous, criminal bullshit.  You have no right to steal someone's laptop and hack into it, and yes, doing so does prove how selfish and spoiled you are.  Stealing his possessions and hacking into them is morally and legally worse then him putting up fliers rightfully/truthfully outing Analise as a killer/liar/coverer-up of multiple murders.  And adding sexist slurs into it about him having 'small balls,' just makes her even more pathetic.  Some ridiculous person who steals people's stuff and then intimidates them from reporting it by employing sexist verbal abuse is not something I will ever cheer on.

In an earlier season, I think Michaela tried stealing an outline from Laurel. So at least she's consistent. Can't wait for season four when she tries to steal someone's professional ethics outline. :)

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Dee said:

The sex circle goes => Annalise-Sam-Lila-Griffin-Rebecca-Wes-Laurel-Frank-Bonnie-Michaela-Aiden-Connor-Oliver

Don't forget Asher in between Bonnie and Michaela!

Other than that, I don't believe that Wes/Laurel actually had sex. I know they kissed, but I don't remember any sex. So they might be the section of the circle that doesn't quite fit. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, doram said:

It was he and Connor and everyone else was curious. I didn't see as it cruel mockery, I saw it as good-natured teasing - and genuine interest in Michaela who's a bit of a mystery in that group - and it was one of the few times I got a student / friends-who-aren't-just-partners-in-murder vibe from the Keating 5. Once they realized it was a sensitive topic and not just Michaela being, well, a Princess, they backed off. 

Precisely. In earlier seasons, there were few or no genuine friendships among the Keating 5. That set of scenes read to me as more indicative of Asher and Connor's  affection for Michaela than anything else. They sympathized with her going off on the student who'd been picking at them all for weeks and they appreciated the style with which she did it. They didn't say anything negative about the accent-- Asher just wanted to know if it was from her birth parents or adoptive parents, which is not by default an inappropriate question to the person with whom you are currently sleeping and with whom you have covered up lots of criminal activity.

Asher in general has been making slow but steady progress in the right direction away from his initial clueless toolishness. At Wes' party, he didn't even try to take part in the conversation about whether Meggie was a white name (although his face seemed to indicate that he considered it). He just grabbed Michaela to dance. And his raising the issue of whether Bonnie could separate herself from a child sex abuse case was downright compassionate and tactful, even if Bonnie understandably still snapped at him. Asher is no longer offensive and myopic every time he opens his mouth! Good for him.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I was so concerned that Annalise was going to hit on Wes. Its like the fourth time I`ve lived in fear of that scene happening.

Me too! I keep thinking that since I've been safe four times now, I should be able to relax a little about it but nope.

18 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I found it so, so funny the way Laurel and Bonnie just casually lied to each other. Bonnie "Are you somewhere you can talk" (paraphrased) Laurel "I'm in my car" (while standing in a hallway outside of the classroom? library? wherever). Laurel "You'll call me if you find Frank" Bonnie "If I see him" (While looking directly at Frank) ! so funny!

Outside of Asher and Frank's (unfortunately) short-lived friendship, Bonnie and Laurel are really the only non-romantic pairing that has crossed the two groups. They've gone out either two or three times now but they don't seem to actually like each other much at all. The connection is just Frank, and using each other for information about Frank. Then again, if I remember right, didn't Frank and Asher's friendship coincide with Asher and Bonnie's relationship? Back to this ep, Laurel's stress about not warning Bonnie at the end just made that earlier lie funnier. They are more alike than they seemed.

17 hours ago, Glade said:

I'm so sick of Michaela's self-righteous, criminal bullshit.

I wouldn't include criminal in that but very definitely self-righteous. She amuses me typically but it's a short trip to irritating for her. I object to how extreme she is. People are either worthy of her time or not. And if they aren't, she acts like they are just dirt under her foot. I hope along with some background, her mother brings some insight into that attitude.

12 hours ago, Dee said:

You're right.

Seeing this written out is a bit disturbing. To be fair to them though, I've had social groups that had more connections than this with less than 14 people.

13 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Last week made me fear it was Eve (nobody on this show gets to be happy!)  So I was glad to hear it was a male.  (I hope it's not Asher -- that goofy doofus is my fave; and McGorry is a real mench.) 

I love Asher! Especially when he gets a little more to do like last week. I laughed when Mikayla said now they've broken up. My first thought was oh, now you two can break up? Even after Asher called a no sex break until after exams? So much for that just sex relationship.

5 hours ago, darkestboy said:

Frank and Bonnie's scenes together were great, but I'm not surprised that he legged it after they slept together.

I'm not either but I'm still holding it against him. He clearly wanted her to come to him. Killing her father is a major move, both in how it would emotionally impact her and that she would have to deal with the aftermath. He was waiting outside of the funeral home for her. He walked in on her in the shower. He started the fantasies about them running away together to have cute babies. He wanted her there and he set the tone for that increased closeness and intimacy that led to them sleeping together, so to then walk out without a word was really shitty. Especially since he caused the reason she was already super vulnerable and alone before she even saw him. It's almost like she gave him what he wanted from her and he couldn't deal. Parallel to him thinking he deserved to stay in prison? Or he's just an asshole. Regardless, I hope she gives him hell for it.

16 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

I"m not saying that its romantic that Frank killed her skeezy father, but I'm not NOT saying it either. 

This. It's not like she was going to be mad about it.

• Love 10
18 hours ago, Glade said:

I'm so sick of Michaela's self-righteous, criminal bullshit.  You have no right to steal someone's laptop and hack into it, and yes, doing so does prove how selfish and spoiled you are.  Stealing his possessions and hacking into them is morally and legally worse then him putting up fliers rightfully/truthfully outing Analise as a killer/liar/coverer-up of multiple murders.  And adding sexist slurs into it about him having 'small balls,' just makes her even more pathetic.

I'd be more outraged if the person she was perpetrating against was worthy of it.  This guy photocopied his ass and handed it off as joke.  Connor is correct, that is sexual harrassment.  Also what is the genesis of his dislike of Analise, anyway?  It is one thing to be resentful of the K5 for what he perceives as her favoritism but his posting flyers all around campus calling her a killer -- btw, technically not true -- is also harassment and public defamation.  That along with his 'Ding Dong the Bitch is dead" had a lot more vitriol and animus to it than just being upset about a teacher.  Also he stepped to them with no proof at all (sure she took it, but he didn't know that at the time considering that room was full of other people too).  Grabbing at Laurel and claiming they were there just to swap a rich daddy for a rich husband.  He was disdainful, dismissive,  nasty and outright sexist toward her first.  So yeah, I don't care that Michaela stole his shit and called him names.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 17
On 10/21/2016 at 6:20 PM, Michel said:

She wasn't.  Michaela's mother was visiting her.  She mentioned having found Connor's phone in "[her] daughter's" (Michaela) sofa.  So I think Connor was visiting Michaela at the time.

Got it.  I can't do laundry or anything else while I watch this show.  It's all in the details lol. 

2 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I'd be more outraged if the person she was perpetrating against was worthy of it.  This guy photocopied his ass and handed it off as joke.  Connor is correct, that is sexual harrassment.  Also what is the genesis of his dislike of Analise, anyway?  It is one thing to be resentful of the K5 for what he perceives as her favoritism but his posting flyers all around campus calling her a killer -- btw, technically not true -- is also harassment and public defamation.  That along with his 'Ding Dong the Bitch is dead" had a lot more vitriol and animus to it than just being upset about a teacher.  Also he stepped to them with no proof at all (sure she took it, but he didn't know that at the time considering that room was full of other people too).  Grabbing at Laurel and claiming they were there just to swap a rich daddy for a rich husband.  He was disdainful, dismissive,  nasty and outright sexist toward her first.  So yeah, I don't care that Michaela stole his shit and called him names.

I loved when she got in his face and said sternly,  Walk away. 

Edited by love2lovebadtv
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, doram said:

It's kind of weird seeing people calling Michaela a 'criminal' when every main character in this show has either literally committed murder or conspired to cover up a murder. She was the only one of the K5 that showed a sliver of remorse that Nate had been framed for Sam's murder. She talked Connor down from shooting Annalisse. She's never cheated in any relationship or otherwise treated any of her romantic partners unfairly. Where all this vitriol is coming from is beyond me. 

Taking it to the Michaela thread.

6 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Don't forget Asher in between Bonnie and Michaela!

Other than that, I don't believe that Wes/Laurel actually had sex. I know they kissed, but I don't remember any sex. So they might be the section of the circle that doesn't quite fit. 

I'm starting to think Wes is the father of Laurels baby. As much as I don't want this,  perhaps they had sex off screen. The fact that Meggy was the one delivering the news, his speech about being tired of lying to Meggy and it sounded like he was going to suggest that they get together since they know each other's secrets,  and since Frank was gone. I hope I'm wrong . 

• Love 1

I've been assuming Wes and Meggie are broken up in the fire timeline. Either that or she knows Wes is reading in the lounge down the hall because she has shown no concern about his whereabouts whatsoever. 

• Love 6

I thought Frank abandoning Bonnie was done out of concern for her. His life is pretty much in shambles - why would he want to drag her down with him? His talk about running away was just fantasy and Bonnie knew it. Even if she went along with it at that moment, I think deep down she knew he'd run away again.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, doram said:

Who's Mikayla?

Michaela.

2 hours ago, l star said:

I've been assuming Wes and Meggie are broken up in the fire timeline. Either that or she knows Wes is reading in the lounge down the hall because she has shown no concern about his whereabouts whatsoever. 

That's a good point. Even if they had broken up by the time the fire happened, her lack of concern seems a bit odd. I might lean more towards her knowing exactly where he is (or thinking she does).

I can't remember, does Wes still think maybe he killed his mother? Or is he sure it was suicide?

I forgot to say that while I found Simon being the guy behind the flyers underwhelming, I think there's going to end up being more to it. I still feel like there's some kind of conspiracy that includes Hargrove and Atwood to take down Annalise, and that he was the patsy who put up the flyers and could take the fall when they needed him to.

I also laughed out loud at the end when Wes and Laurel went to Annalise's and, thinking she wasn't home and getting cold feet, Laurel turns around to leave only for Annalise to come right in. Karla Souza's "oh shit" face was amazing.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, l star said:

I wondered about that, too. She's very friendly to Oliver and Bonnie, though, and could get into real trouble if her supervisors find out she's dispensing confidential information. To me, that doesn't scream "bitter ex" but then I also wondered why, if they're still dating, she's not seeming at all concerned about Wes after recognizing Laurel and talking with Oliver and Bonnie. Meggy is maybe the only nice, non-trippy seeming person we've ever seen on this show, and I can't tell if she's unnaturally sweet or if she's normal and it's just that this show has skewed my perspective.

1 hour ago, mrsbagnet said:

I thought Frank abandoning Bonnie was done out of concern for her. His life is pretty much in shambles - why would he want to drag her down with him?

Unless he was dragged out of there by another contract killer, he really should have left a note if he truly cared about Bonnie's feelings. Even if he thinks he's bad for her, and left "for her protection" (which is condescending BS, but I could imagine him thinking that way), he had to realize how she would react to him disappearing on her like that, without even so much as a good-bye.

30 minutes ago, secnarf said:

That's a good point. Even if they had broken up by the time the fire happened, her lack of concern seems a bit odd. I might lean more towards her knowing exactly where he is (or thinking she does).

So... I guess that leaves Frank or Nate under the sheet. I don't think Annalise would even fake that kind of grief over Asher, and I personally can't face it being Connor, so I'm pretending it's not a possibility. Or maybe Meggy will turn out to be the true sociopath on the show. Maybe she even set the fire. She and Simon are in cahoots. They're cousins of the Hapstall siblings. Or related to Annalise's boss-- who pretended be intimidated by the threat of the lawsuit and to go along with Annalise's demands because she already had made a plan to kill Annalise by firebombing her house with Annalise inside.... and somehow Anna found out, which is why she wasn't there....

How many more episodes til we find out? This show should be called "How To Drive Your Audience Crazy." But I love it.

• Love 1

The more I think about it, the more I am going with Frank.  With this episode he is set up as incredibly tragic figure.  But he is also being set up as basically of serial killer.  He was guilted into killing Lila by Sam.  I wonder if he feels that Wes is usurping his position and a surrogate son with Analise and that is why he killed Wallace in Wes' presence to set him up.  He killed Bonnie's dad maybe because his abuse reminded him of his own dad.  But the murder of the hitman felt like overkill almost.

I wonder if they are taking him beyond redemption with all the killing and that is a sort of justification to kill him off?

• Love 2

OMG This thread just ate my post.

I replied to a bunch of stuff, but I'll just sum it up by saying this was one of the best eps. of the season. I could spend an hour talking about all the info subtly packed into that beauty shop scene alone. I'd questioned earlier about Annalise suddenly sleeping in her wigs and full face makeup and someone suggested it was a sew in.  It makes sense now. She doesn't think she deserves Nate. (I would venture to say she doesn't think she deserves to be happy, but that's for another day.) Of course she would want too look perfect for him at all times.

I was also moved with the slow dissolution of Sam & Annalise's marriage. Losing that baby was more than their marriage could stand. Especially after years of trying. I even think Sam thought he was doing the right thing by not letting Franks tell her the truth. Unfortunately they drifted apart under the weight of the secrets and lies. 

The biggest take away I got from this was that all of them, Bonnie, Frank, Annalise & the K5 are a sort of dysfunctional family. They may argue and fight but they are protective of each other. It was nice to see Annalise rebound. LOVED seeing Simon shook by Michaela and Annalise. I also noticed the K5 are actually studying this season. Pretty sure they won't be in the bottom next year.

Edited by Milaxx
  • Love 7

Ok, I now think it's Wes under the sheet.

I think Bonnie will turn up pregnant too by Frank but she'll decide to get an abortion because of Laurel's baby (which she'll assume is also Frank's).

I think Nate is up to something with the ADA (to help Annalise) because otherwise I don't see the point in giving second and third level characters scenes of their own unless it's somehow in support of a bigger plot point.

She doesn't think she deserves Nate.

Well I could agree with that. She almost got him a death sentence for something he didn't do. And I'm not sure anyone deserves Nate's body...

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 2

Well, Connor is a big ol' red herring, if ever I saw one. I maintain Frank and Wes will be the last two to be revealed as "safe," because the "Frank missing"/Laurel arc has been the most prominent of the season and Laurel is the other person in the house. It makes no sense (IMO) if she's in there with Asher or Nate.

Because there are "three weeks until we find out" (right?), logic dictates there should be two viable suspects, with relationships to each other's stories. Nobody else (to me) fits that criteria other than Frank and Wes.

I predict (no spoilers whatsoever) that the reveals will go somewhat like this:

-Asher

-Nate

-Connor

-Frank/Wes

-Wes/Frank

...With the one safe/one dead revealed in the same episode.

I really liked this episode, too, as I find the complex, dysfunctional marriage of Sam/Annalise infinitely fascinating. Davis does such a tremendous job of playing all the layers of that relationship. I can simultaneously see Sam as the odious creep he was, and yet, totally understand why and how she loved him.

• Love 7

I find it funny that so much of what drove the plot both this season and last is Laurel"s inability to keep her damn mouth shut.  Laurel's diarrhea of the mouth was on display with Annalise and Wes when he was hospitalized and then again when he was looking for the truth about his mother.  The  battle of Frank and Annalise and his downward spiral can be traced back to her and now she's running off at the mouth about Bonnie and Frank. I feel sorry for aznyone who gets her for a lawyer, cause Laurel is unable to not spill the beans.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, possibilities said:

Meggy is maybe the only nice, non-trippy seeming person we've ever seen on this show,

That we know of.  She may be hiding some deep dark secrets of her own...

5 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I don't see the point in giving second and third level characters scenes of their own unless it's somehow in support of a bigger plot point.

I don't mind giving scenes to ADA Yummy.  You ladies get Nate; I get Rene!  Seems like a fair deal!

On 10/22/2016 at 4:38 AM, Chicago Redshirt said:

In an earlier season, I think Michaela tried stealing an outline from Laurel. So at least she's consistent. Can't wait for season four when she tries to steal someone's professional ethics outline. :)

She stole an entire computer from a fellow student in a campus classroom, so I think a proper escalation would be her moving on to stealing cars from fellow students at the law school which she is attending (and shouting in their faces if she is ever caught in the act.)  It's a serious breach of ethics.   

The whole premise of the show seems to ask us to side with these people and against anyone (The ADA, Analise' boss, fellow students) who doesn't appreciate having their corrupt, lying, murder-spreeing asses around.  None of them has any business at all practicing law, none of them are innocent victims being persecuted for no reason by the people around them.   So I'm not really feeling this show sometimes or these characters who honestly think that they are not only 'good people now' but great people, who should be able to break whatever laws they want, and let loose unending abusive behavior towards their victims. 

Some people take this show way too seriously.  It's the crazy, outlandish storylines that makes it so much fun.  It's fantasy.  If you try to rationalize every scene, you're going to suck the fun right out of it.

Edited by J.D.
  • Love 11

I'm shocked that there are some coming down on Michaela for the laptop thing, as if there aren't characters who are ten times morally reprehensible, or as if Simon was some kind of 'innocent victim'. The guy has verbally harassed the K5 for weeks, sexually harassed Connor by pretending to give them the outline in the first place (which turns out to be an ass pic), and physically attacked Laurel without proof of wrongdoing.

Actually, I'm not really shocked. As others mentioned, race and gender often go hand in hand in these types of things where fandom lashes out at one character (often women, poc, or woc) out of proportion to certain others.

• Love 14

I am suddenly interested in Michaela's backstory after that 10 second clip of her interacting with her mother, and the way she talks about her past. Her and Asher are still nice together.

My beautiful Wes is under that sheet, isn't he? I liked his scene with Anna- I know they border on inappropriate chemistry but I like that he still worries about her. 

Bonnie and Frank were so sweet. I would definitely be on board with them running away together. They are both so screwed up by Sam and Anna and deserve to be happy together. 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Glade said:

She stole an entire computer from a fellow student in a campus classroom, so I think a proper escalation would be her moving on to stealing cars from fellow students at the law school which she is attending (and shouting in their faces if she is ever caught in the act.)  It's a serious breach of ethics.   

The whole premise of the show seems to ask us to side with these people and against anyone (The ADA, Analise' boss, fellow students) who doesn't appreciate having their corrupt, lying, murder-spreeing asses around.  None of them has any business at all practicing law, none of them are innocent victims being persecuted for no reason by the people around them.   So I'm not really feeling this show sometimes or these characters who honestly think that they are not only 'good people now' but great people, who should be able to break whatever laws they want, and let loose unending abusive behavior towards their victims. 

Considering everything these folks have done (murder, infidelity, etc...) The most serious breach of ethics here is someone stealing a laptop? This is a show about messy, morally ambiguous people. Even the COTW rarely features a person 100% innocent. These people are more aligned with the anti-hero style of storytelling. I'm not sure how you pinpoint one person as more morally bankrupt here when the others have committed acts just as bad or even worse.

Edited by Milaxx
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, twoods said:

I am suddenly interested in Michaela's backstory after that 10 second clip of her interacting with her mother, and the way she talks about her past. Her and Asher are still nice together.

Just one casting decision... making Blair Butler her mother... has gotten me more intrigued in Michaela's background than anything she has said about herself.  This is why showing is always so much better than telling.

Same deal with Frank.  Him cutting off all that hair and showing his face,takes years off his face and works so well with breaking him down and showing his vulnerabilities.  The look he gave Bonnie after she came out of the funeral home would not have had the impact it did if he had still had all that facial hair.

• Love 6

Great episode! Viola you are my queen. 

It was a lil off putting to have Mary J as the hairdresser and I finally realized why.  It could be because of her distinctive voice that I can’t disconnect from Mary J the singer as opposed to Mary J the “actress” or the character she is playing.  Every time she spoke I could only think Mary J is doing AK’s hair. Viola’s voice is her voice and it sounds the same in each of her roles but I never attribute that to Viola the person the character shines through. 

There is a lot of speculation on who is under the sheet. The three that are getting the most buzz are Wes, Frank or Nate. I think its Nate simply because of the future story line potentials. 

Wes – I doubt the writers will get rid of him because as it has been stated he is the male lead. Plus there is a lot of story line potential there.  Wes and Annalise’s inappropriate relationship.  More development of his real father and his death. The drama when Meggy ultimately finds out that the father of Laurel’s baby is probably Wes’ (I think with their love of flashbacks I think they are going to show them hooking up recently). If they go down the road of Laurel and Wes getting together I am sure her father will look into Wes’ background and find out about his mother so potential drama there.  So there is a lot of story line potential. 

Frank – also ripe with story line potential.  More development/fallout from he and Bonnie hooking up. The Frank and Annalise redemption arc. More development of his background and family relationship. I don’t think he and Laurel are done.  The love triangle between him, Wes and Laurel.  Laurel’s dad knowledge that he killed someone – I believe when he was speaking to Laurel on the phone before she asked him to stop talking because her father bugs her phone he said some incriminating things.

Nate – him being under the sheet would explain why AK was so distraught. Also there is the potential for if he is dead that the DA who he was sleeping with will want to get to the bottom of his murder once she finds out it happened at AK’s home and they have already set the DA and AK to be at odds. 

So the character with the least investment would be Nate.  Just my thoughts

Hell they could come out of left field and its Daniel Radcliffe under the sheet and Wes spirals out of control missing his boarding school buddy Harry whom he has not seen in years.  Enter guest spot for Emma Watson and Rupert Grint.  

• Love 1
On 10/22/2016 at 1:01 AM, jhlipton said:

Hurrah to Shondaland for not killing the lesbian!

That's actually the reason I'm hopeful it's not Connor.  I don't give a show much credit for killing the gay guy instead of the lesbian.

Although I guess if episode 8 involves Connor and Oliver in bed together, we'll know for sure.

Honestly, though, I think they were trying a little to hard to make us think it's Connor.

They could do an entire episode in the beauty shop, and I'd be okay with that.  Maybe Mary J could be accused of a crime and Annalise has to defend her.  I love her, and I actually kind of squealed when I saw her name in the credits.

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, starri said:

They could do an entire episode in the beauty shop, and I'd be okay with that.  Maybe Mary J could be accused of a crime and Annalise has to defend her.  I love her, and I actually kind of squealed when I saw her name in the credits.

I still can't believe Annalise got a sew-in on national television.

What a time to be alive.

• Love 14