Type keyword(s) to search

Goliath - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

37 minutes ago, Kiddvideo said:

Patty gets the firm $1.4 billion dollars (30% on $14Bn)

Don't you mean $4.2 billion? 30% of 14b.

Of course in the real world this case would get appealed and most likely the settlement reduced.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, lynxfx said:

Don't you mean $4.2 billion? 30% of 14b.

Of course in the real world this case would get appealed and most likely the settlement reduced.

Durr. My short term memory is shot. I even asked Siri twice (cause god forbid I multiply 1.4x3 in my head) and still typed it wrong. Lol. Thank you for fact checking me!

I agree it’ll get negotiated down on appeal or for an immediate pay day, but they’ll keep the California AG as a client, won’t have to pay out the settlement they were on the hook for, and make a shit ton of money.

New to the conversation: Patty should start a new firm. With the boss’s daughter likely going to prison and her admitted behavior, that name is poison. Billy can be a JD/PI so even if he’s not acting as an attorney during his suspension he can investigate and advise strategies, which are his strengths anyway.

• Love 3

I really liked this fourth season too.  It had some fantasy stuff but I think it made more sense than previous dreams or hallucinations as McBride worked out his feelings, the feelings of others or even part of the case through these hallucinations. 

And the atmosphere was amazing. 

• Love 3
On 9/21/2021 at 10:55 AM, Irlandesa said:

Hey.  Did we know that Goliath S4 is premiering this Friday? Cuz I did not and it is.

I didn't know, until someone I follow, mentioned it. 

• Love 1

I love the actor, but I ended up fast-forwarding through the second half of the song Pain Killer. 

I know this show is odd, but I remember finding the first season, and loving it. I wish that it wasn't the last season, but I also hate it when shows run themselves into the ground, rather than leaving on a good note.

I am too aware of them being so far apart in scenes,  although I'm glad they were careful re: covid. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Anela said:

I am too aware of them being so far apart in scenes,  although I'm glad they were careful re: covid. 

I honestly never noticed it even once. I'd have to go back and rewatch for that. 

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

I honestly never noticed it even once. I'd have to go back and rewatch for that. 

Maybe it’s just me.  I’m on episode two, and two characters just hugged.  

• Love 1

I need some help here.  I don't remember the Patty-->Monica Potter relationship.  My husband thought the Monica Potter character (can't remember the name) is Patty's mother, but they seem more in age to be sisters.  This is what happens when there is too much time between seasons, damn you Covid!!

14 hours ago, Anela said:

I love Patty. She's one of my favourite characters on TV.

I'm reading the "Lincoln Lawyer" books.  I know there is a Lincoln Lawyer series in development.  I would love for Nina Ariando to play Jennifer "Bullocks" Aronson, Mickey Haller's associate lawyer.  I see her face when I read the books.

• Love 3

I finished it. I was afraid they were going to go the route of "it was all a dream" or that he died, and it all happened in his mind, as he was dying. I'm really glad that wasn't the case, and that it ended on a happy note for most of them.

• Love 5

I’m watching S 4, Ep 2, what the hell is this crap? 

it’s bad enough that the villain is a cause that starts with users abusing a drug. Now we have all this silly fantasy stuff wasting time. Ugh. Hopes this gets better.

On 10/7/2021 at 12:13 PM, Readalot said:

Wow. Took me two episodes to understand what was going on but I enjoyed it and sad to see Billy disappear into the sunset  

Question - The lady that he kept running into. Any significance? 

Absolutely, but the reason doesn’t become apparent until the end. 

On 10/13/2021 at 7:15 PM, Mindthinkr said:

Absolutely, but the reason doesn’t become apparent until the end. 

It did? What was the reason given at the end?

Spoiler

I watched it and, admittedly I was multi-tasking, but the woman just says she is ahead of where Billy goes. Was that some sort of hidden meaning?

After watching the entire season, I don't know why there were any fantasy sequences. They just told us things we already knew (McBride sees himself as a hero of the people) or helped McBride work through things in his subconscious (which he could have done in much less drawn-out ways). 

The last 2-3 eps were more like what I had hoped for, however, I struggled with the issue of opioid drugs being presented as so black and white. Maybe because when I had wisdom teeth taken out 10 years ago as an adult, I was prescribed a couple of medications and Oxy was one, and I was warned then by my dentist to go easy on those and that they could lead to addiction if I wasn't careful. I chose not to take them at all, and got by on over the counter stuff. So it makes me wonder, how many doctors actually blindly prescribed those medicines without ever warning their patients that they could be addictive? And how many patients took them anyway, and became addicted because of their own actions? And whether the pills were free for a week or a month, what difference does the actions of people like George make when, in the end, patients are the ones who choose whether to take them or not?

Because of that, some of this fell flat, especially McBride's big speech in the courtroom before the judge warned him he wasn't a lawyer in this trial. It came off as very sanctimonious, especially from a guy addicted to cigarettes and alcohol.

Edited by Ottis
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Ottis said:
On 10/13/2021 at 9:15 PM, Mindthinkr said:

Spoiler

I took her to be death. She thought about taking him, but in the end decided to give him more time…or not. It’s been weeks since I viewed it so I’d have to go back and rewatch it. 

• Useful 1
On 10/25/2021 at 11:22 AM, Mindthinkr said:
Spoiler

I took her to be death. She thought about taking him, but in the end decided to give him more time…or not. It’s been weeks since I viewed it so I’d have to go back and rewatch it. 

Thank you for your reply. 

Spoiler

So what did I miss, then, that put Billy in peril of death? He had been shot before, I guess, but he seems to have recovered fine. What was the context for him seeing death, and death deciding to give him more time?

It has been a long time since the previous season so maybe I forgot something. If not, then having that symbolic character pop up randomly seems as likely as having, I don't know, someone Billy knew in Vietnam that we had never seen before show up suddenly.

On 10/6/2021 at 2:48 PM, roughing it said:

I'm reading the "Lincoln Lawyer" books.  I know there is a Lincoln Lawyer series in development.  I would love for Nina Ariando to play Jennifer "Bullocks" Aronson, Mickey Haller's associate lawyer.  I see her face when I read the books.

Nina was on The Today show today, along with J.K. Simmons, to promote their new movie Being The Ricardos.  She plays Vivian Vance and he plays William Frawley.  (Nicole Kidman plays Lucille Ball.) I’ve heard great things about it.  It looks awesome. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2
On 10/25/2021 at 9:12 AM, Ottis said:

Hide contents

I watched it and, admittedly I was multi-tasking, but the woman just says she is ahead of where Billy goes. Was that some sort of hidden meaning?

After watching the entire season, I don't know why there were any fantasy sequences. They just told us things we already knew (McBride sees himself as a hero of the people) or helped McBride work through things in his subconscious (which he could have done in much less drawn-out ways). 

The last 2-3 eps were more like what I had hoped for, however, I struggled with the issue of opioid drugs being presented as so black and white. Maybe because when I had wisdom teeth taken out 10 years ago as an adult, I was prescribed a couple of medications and Oxy was one, and I was warned then by my dentist to go easy on those and that they could lead to addiction if I wasn't careful. I chose not to take them at all, and got by on over the counter stuff. So it makes me wonder, how many doctors actually blindly prescribed those medicines without ever warning their patients that they could be addictive? And how many patients took them anyway, and became addicted because of their own actions? And whether the pills were free for a week or a month, what difference does the actions of people like George make when, in the end, patients are the ones who choose whether to take them or not?

Because of that, some of this fell flat, especially McBride's big speech in the courtroom before the judge warned him he wasn't a lawyer in this trial. It came off as very sanctimonious, especially from a guy addicted to cigarettes and alcohol.

If you’re interested in learning more about the opioid epidemic, watch Dopesick, a limited series on Hulu. It’s really good. Michael Keaton’s performance as a country doctor really impressed me.  All the performances were really strong.

There is also a two-part documentary on HBO Max called The Crime of the Century that is excellent. The first part deals with the opiod epidemic and Purdue Pharma, the Sackler family’s company. They owned the patent for Oxy and told a lot of lies while marketing it, which led to doctors overprescribing. The second part focuses on fentanyl which is even more deadly. 

I watched both and am now reading the book Dopesick was based on. 

http://hp&ei=I_yxYbDBJ-SnqtsP0ZWrYA&gs_ssp=eJzj4tVP1zc0zMmIrzAvsiw2YPTizSjNKVVIyS9ILc5MzgYAkKoJ9w&oq=hulu+dopesick&gs_lcp=

https://www.hbo.com/documentaries/the-crime-of-the-century

Edited by Sweet-tea
Trying to post links but pictures not displaying
  • Love 2

Finally finished the season. I didn't binge it but instead kept a running list of my reactions and comments:
E1
Billy in San Francisco. I like it. Looks like BBT got a wardrobe upgrade since SF isn't as casual as Southern California.

I didn't realize Bruce Dern was still alive. Good on him for still working.

The thing I still don't like is not always knowing when Billy is tripping and when something is actually happening.

E2
OMG, that painkiller drug song performed like a Broadway revue. Amazing.

Mano y mano. Why do people say that? It's mano a mano, "hand to hand" not "hand and hand."

E4
I'm feeling like this is way too noir. Not sure I'm getting the point. Are the darker scenes cheaper to film?

E5
The opening video was hilarious. "My daddy says my mommy's addicted to quaaludes." Did Big Pharma actually try to indoctrinate children? Doesn't sound like it went well, lol.

E6
Wow, J.K. Simmons is jacked for a 66-year old guy. I just realized this is like if Jeff Bezos ran a pharmaceutical company.

E7
Finally, hope in sight.

Fewer dark scenes. Things are looking up?

E8
It would seem having billions of dollars increases your ability to lie under oath with confidence.

TMW you realize the $2B bribe you paid to the lawyer cross-examining you just went up in smoke. Ruh roh.

Things took a Twighlight Zone turn there at the end. So I guess Billy chose not to die, or did he move to the afterlife?

I'm gonna miss BBT in this. Looking forward to seeing what he'll do next.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3