Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Goliath

Season 2 has the lowest user scores I've ever seen on Amazon for a big budget series -- 2.7. Sorry to say I agree with them.

• Like 1

I was fine with the ending, the bad people were being arrested, the family got lots of money, Cassie got fired,  Cooperman is stuck in a slowly dying body.  And the dog lived!  

Only Brittany was really screwed, but she dug her own grave.

McBrides final jury argument wasn’t really asking for jury nullification, he did say that he only needed 51%, and the defense didn’t put in much of a case, they just tried to discredit the plaintiff witnesses and blame their head lawyer.

i do think juries don’t like it when they know they’re not getting the full story, like with Karl.

• Like 1

So the reason they had to frame Julio was because the target of the hit was the blonde drug delivery kid who saw the long haired real estate broker with Tom.  But the cartel wanted everyone to think it was the gang being hit, and they only motive they could think of was Julio avenging his brothers and the blonde kid was just collateral damage.  Otherwise the non corrupt cops would investigate why someone wanted the blonde kid killed.

Janet was with Billy at the kidnap house because he was hanging all over her at the bar and the cartel guys didn’t want to make a scene separating them so they took her along too.  Plus they may not have know if Billy told her anything.  Now why he wasn’t already dead is a good question other than plot contrivances.

More later

I think Marisol did like Billy, but he became a liability.  Same with Julio.  Maybe they had to wait to kill Billy until after Marisol won the election, or at least until there want time for him to mess it up.

Marisol liked her “brother” (and I’m sure his parents-cartel killed her parents), but he was obsessed with her.  She needed him to be mayor and he needed her for business.

Gabriel mutilated people as a punishment and warning.  They are always seen, unlike someone just being killed and no longer seen.

Marisol did look over 40, she had wrinkles around her eyes and mouth, so not too too far from BBT (22 years in real like between the actors).

i too was a bit confused over Tom's fantasy thing with how the women were always awake and ready to perform whenever he showed up. 

Goliath was renewed for a third season.  It looks to have an intriguing cast in the third season.  Unfortunately, it's the same show runner as the second season with all the weird mess at the end.  I hope the ship is righted in the third.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2018 at 12:33 AM, Irlandesa said:

Goliath was renewed for a third season.  It looks to have an intriguing cast in the third season.  Unfortunately, it's the same show runner as the second season with all the weird mess at the end.  I hope the ship is righted in the third.

especially since the second season had a pretty unsatisfactory ending.  

• Like 1

I just binge-watched both seasons of this show and while I enjoyed it, I found each season to be its own kind of show.

Season one was a typical David E. Kelly lawyer show with added swearing and T&A. I saw a lot of similarities to Boston Legal. There's the old white guy who runs the firm, a total creep who is somehow popular with the ladies. There were the typical number of female lawyers who wore skirts short enough to get them kicked out of any real courtroom in the land. There was a brilliant lawyer with a quirk and that quirk's tendency to come up at the worst possible time. The lawyers in the big firm were having a colorful variety of affairs with each other. There was even a lawyer living in a hotel, just as James Spader's Alan Shore lived in a hotel on Boston Legal. Very typical DEK fare, formulaic but a good formula nonetheless, the reason why he can make the same show over and over again and catch an audience every time. The ending was the same as any number of episodes where an impassioned speech to the jury results in the good guys winning and punitive damages for a ridiculous amount.

Season two, well I am not sure what that was at all. A crime drama featuring a lawyer I suppose. It was much different and way gorier. I can only assume the plot in the season sets up the intricacies of next season because nothing much was resolved. The characters spent a lot of time just treading water, waiting for things to happen.

While season one probably had its fair share of nitpicks, nothing really stood out to me beyond "why would the young beautiful lawyer happily hop in the shower with the creepy old man?" But even in that case we could speculate that this is a known and accepted means within the firm of climbing the corporate ladder, since they did show that his inner circle had two other women who had done the same. Season two had some strangeness that had no reasonable explanation. Why didn't the cop with the family warn anyone that his partner was in on it and why didn't they figure that out or ask him about it? You catch the guy up to some nefarious deeds and never think to go to his partner and/or check him out? Why did Gabriel hand Billy over to the most incompetent criminals in all of Mexico? The dude is a cartel boss and a surgeon but he can't make one guy disappear? But at the same time he can kidnap a billionaire and mutilate the hell out of the guy without worrying about blowback from his sister? The bad guy insists that a kid has to be killed to cover up a murder but has no problem providing someone in another country with amputees for his fetish? This same bad guy also has a bunch more people killed and mutilated (Marisol's poor assistant, fuck that was harsh!) including three cops and a family but it's super urgent to cover up the first murder because it makes his sister look bad for supporting the patsy? Marisol should look worse for all of her passionate campaigning on behalf of the innocent kid who ended up "confessing" and "committing suicide" but she still wins the election. The bad guys didn't want the blonde kid getting investigated because it would lead back to them but we see that the police are completely ineffective and incompetent the whole way and the bad guys end up killing each other in fits of paranoia. It was a lot of bad people doing bad stuff for bad reasons.

• Like 1

Yeah, say what you will about Kelly, the guy knows how to craft TV episodes. Season 2 was almost unwatchable without him; I only dipped in here and there to see if it was getting any better. Really a waste of compelling characters and good acting.

I won't be watching season 3 unless the trailers and critical reviews indicate a return to season 1 form.