Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: Chapter 6

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, Tony said:

Announcing that only one person alive at the end is a mistake IMO. It's a minor reveal and probably expected by most viewers, but it's a HUGE spoiler.

I think it's fine. How to Get Away with Murder does versions of this at least once a season.  The story isn't the ending it's the journey, so telling the ending isn't a big deal.  It's the same reason romance books were so popular. You know they'll get together in the end, it's the "how" that matters.

• Love 4
On 10/19/2016 at 9:00 PM, rustyspigot said:

At least no one suggested going into the woods this week.

Ah, but when slimy Sydney told them to hide the production trailers somewhere back in the woods, I thought, "UH OH!"

I got a belly laugh out of Agnes' collection of stolen props. 

20 hours ago, goodbyeglittergirl said:

Last night was the first episode of AHS I have EVER watched in real time (I generally watch it the next day, when it's light outside - I live alone and it's too scary to watch at night) because I didn't want the big twist to get spoiled. I picked a good episode to watch in the dark, because it wasn't too bad scare-wise!

Me too! Crispy Mason made me shriek a little though.  But, when Diana was grabbed through the roof of the car, I didn't realize that was the Pig Man.  Did they show his head, and I missed it? I thought the arm had some small branches on it with leaves attached, so I thought it was some sort of tree creature.  

My theory is that this "found footage" is just another gimmick, and everyone will be alive in the end.  This is just Sydney's way of amping it up for a new season. 

On 10/20/2016 at 10:12 AM, sugarbaker design said:

Loved this episode, loved nearly everything about it.

Why not include the actors who played the ghosts (besides Agnes) like Gaga and Wes Bentley in the new season?  Does this mean we get to see the real Butcher and her son?  I'd love it if Frances Conroy played the real Butcher with Matt Bomer as the son. Who could play the real Gaga?

Conroy is the actress who played the cannibal hillbilly family matriarch in the reenactments.

22 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I would laugh if they actually got Jessica Lange back for one episode to play the original witch.

That was my thought too! Or maybe Cher, since they have an in via Chaz now.

21 hours ago, goodbyeglittergirl said:

There is not a damn chance I would set foot back in that house if I experienced all of the things real Shelby/Matt say they did. No way. Ever. At all. So I have a hard time with that setup.

Yeah, sorry, if I see ghosts tear someone apart in front of my eyes my next step is to book a flight that puts an ocean between me and that location. And if I were the owner, I'd offer the land to the Army free of charge with the provision that they level the house with artillery practice first thing upon accepting the deed.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:
On 10/20/2016 at 11:12 AM, sugarbaker design said:

Why not include the actors who played the ghosts (besides Agnes) like Gaga and Wes Bentley in the new season?  Does this mean we get to see the real Butcher and her son?  I'd love it if Frances Conroy played the real Butcher with Matt Bomer as the son. Who could play the real Gaga?

Conroy is the actress who played the cannibal hillbilly family matriarch in the reenactments.

I know.  I still think it would be very cool.

13 hours ago, queenanne said:

I'm surprised one of the two (Shelby/Matt) isn't back because they're broke after sinking all their savings into the house, as they kept reminding us in the front half of the season.

The producer bought the place from them for half-price, so they've lost quite a bit of money, but they're not broke any more.

• Love 3

They lost $20,000, which is hardly the sort of debt that would reduce yuppies who swill wine in their new outdoor hot tubs to depending on soup kitchens for survival. Hell, if the insurance pays for the car that got torched they could probably recoup that by buying a used Fiesta instead of whatever trendy hybrid they'd probably prefer.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, llewis823 said:

Or does it mean there will be a second word using the rest of the people's names and whoever survives has an initial that doesn't fit into their phrase?

Yeah, they got the whole word "murder," now they can rest. It's not as though spelling out words is all the ghosts' "thing." Plenty more ghosts to do killing, folks.

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, willco said:

I liked this episode better than all of the first half of the season combined.

You and me both!  I will say that I liked the first episode, with the set up for the haunted house but they pretty much lost me after that.

This was spectacular though.  Just campy enough and with enough creepy moments.  I hope it stays on track and RM doesn't fuck it up.

I am disappointed if Evan Peters is gone.  He really is awesome in everything he does. Cheyenne Jackson is gorgeous, even if his character is gross.

Loved how Audrey and Rory thought Real Shelby was a simpering wuss.  Ha!  Me too.

Also love how Dominic is not nearly as intimidated and reticent as Real Matt.

No idea who will survive or if the 1 person surviving is b.s.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

They lost $20,000, which is hardly the sort of debt that would reduce yuppies who swill wine in their new outdoor hot tubs to depending on soup kitchens for survival. Hell, if the insurance pays for the car that got torched they could probably recoup that by buying a used Fiesta instead of whatever trendy hybrid they'd probably prefer.

$40,000 while hardly a large amount was their savings,. And they were never exactly yuppies.  They were middle class city people.  Hell Shelby is a yoga instructor that hardly takes in the money.  My guess is they did ok for themselves but with their savings halved and on the verge of divorce they are hardly well off financially.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, psychoticstate said:

You and me both!  I will say that I liked the first episode, with the set up for the haunted house but they pretty much lost me after that.

This was spectacular though.  Just campy enough and with enough creepy moments.  I hope it stays on track and RM doesn't fuck it up.

I am disappointed if Evan Peters is gone.  He really is awesome in everything he does. Cheyenne Jackson is gorgeous, even if his character is gross.

Loved how Audrey and Rory thought Real Shelby was a simpering wuss.  Ha!  Me too.

No idea who will survive or if the 1 person surviving is b.s.  

That is the other reason I don't want the speculation of Rory faking his death to be true that doesn't leave Evan with much to do. He pops back up in the end to say I am alive. I also put to much into him being a red head this season lol. I thought that was going to be a plot point or something.  

• Love 3

I was wondering all week how the show was going to carry forward now that the show-within-a-show was over.  This is pretty cool.  It's great to see Lily Rabe doing something besides talking to a camera.  Sarah Paulson gets to ham it up now as the pompous Brit actress.  And Kathy Bates' actress character now thinks she's the Butcher, this should be fun.  Now that we know only one survives, this season has a spectre of doom hanging over it I haven't felt since season 1.

• Love 5
On 20/10/2016 at 11:27 AM, tennisgurl said:

I appreciate that they did try to give Shelby Matt and Lee an actual reason to want to come to the house, but I still dont totally buy it. For Gods sake, you saw a guy being DISEMBOWELED BY GHOSTS! I wouldn't just not go back to the house, I wouldn't go back to North Carolina. 

In her defense, Lee was actually in custody with the police during the worst of it, wasn't she? She wouldn't have seen the professor get shot full of arrows or Cricket get disemboweled. 

On 20/10/2016 at 11:50 AM, luna1122 said:

And what and how are these deaths accounted for? If the only people who saw these things happen are not really being believed, since it's all rooted in the ghost story, what do the professor's and Cricket's loved ones/family/friends/acquaintances suppose actually became of them? Are they just missing persons? did anyone actually investigate?

People not inclined to believe in ghosts probably attribute the other disappearances to the Polks. We weren't told if they ever found Cricket's body, but there ought to be enough remains of the professor in the Polks' property to pin his murder on them.  Notice that they are all on the lam as of the time of filming of Return to Roanoke. Wouldn't take that much of a leap for everybody to assume the did Cricket in as well, even without a body.

And of course, everybody thinks it was Lee who roasted Mason. 

ETA: By the way, anybody know if someone behind the scenes on the show has any connection to Mary Elizabeth Winstead? I find the similarity to Agnes' full name to be too much of a coincidence. I suspect a shout out. 

Edited by AzureOwl
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Yeah, they got the whole word "murder," now they can rest. It's not as though spelling out words is all the ghosts' "thing." Plenty more ghosts to do killing, folks.

True, but the nurses seemed to think it was fun, so why would they want to stop? The Butcher seems like a real buzzkill to be around.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

Me too. We didn't see a lot of Cuba this week but I really hope Dominic is a cocky asshole because then his choice to play Matt as a timid weakling would add another layer to Matt's resentment. 

• Love 7

Things have finally cranked up to "AW YEAH" levels of entertainment for me with this new format. Honestly, I wish they hadn't taken so long to get here. I've been struggling. I dig the Roanoke theme, but watching yuppies running through the woods making dumb calls while these talking heads give underwhelming narration... eh. My response has been lukewarm.

But make the talking heads suddenly play "themselves," give the "actors" their own personalities, and throw them all in the same haunted house together? Boy am I game, now. I'm so game I don't even care that Shelby and Matt were stupid enough to come back. I kind of feel like the real plot only just got started, and the last five episodes were the equivalent of a mediocre prequel an author writes to explain the events leading up to his series. I just hope they don't kill off people too fast; I want to see more of the interactions between the actors and their real counterparts.

• Love 1

Lee never stopping to think that if Shelby hadn't called the cops, they probably would all be dead. She was in custody when the horrible things happened to Cricket and the Prof., and, thus, able to swoop in with the "hot car" and get them out.

• Love 3

If anyone survives I think it will be Lee and people will continue to think she is a murdering murderer who murders.  

It would be SO GREAT IF THIS HAPPENED! Lee would be all "most successful serial killer ever, bitches!" Own it, ya know?

I am past pleasantly surprised and way into squealing enthusiasm for this "twist" and for the show in general. This is a brilliant structure--they can tell layers of stories with layers of rationality depending on which "reality" is in play: the first show? The second? The "real" people?

For instance, I'd bet good money that Kathy Bates' Agnes is not crazy in the least. It's all been a long-con setup for the second season: the "incident," the "mental illness," the 911 call to Sarah Paulson's fake accent: all of it engineered by Sydney to up the drama quotient of the second season, and these three at least are in on it. (For one thing, schizo-affective disorder isn't generally something that emerges out of nowhere in someone in their sixties. That's actually the statistical point where symptoms start to level off, not the opposite.) 

In fact, I'm betting that so far, all the deaths--the chainsawed guy, Diana in the car, Rory*--have been faked, and the "real" ghosts are fake, better made-up ones, and all this is Sydney's brainchild. And it's all going to go Horribly Wrong....

*I would also bet (man, I should go to Gambler's Anonymous at this point) that Rory connived with Sydney to fake his death (to go film the pilot) and when Audrey finds out she's so furious she forgets to do her fake accent, at which point Rory is furious with her for lying to him, and then they both get killed by the Chengs.

Edited by Snookums
  • Love 6
On 10/20/2016 at 11:51 AM, txhorns79 said:

I liked the episode a lot, but that is one thing that I didn't really believe they would ever do.  If I saw someone gutted in front of me, came across people who were burned alive or have run into cannibal hillbillies, there would be no way whatsoever I would ever return to that place voluntarily.    

That's a good, plausible argument for the real people being the murderers and NOT the ghosts. If they killed Cricket and the ex husband then they don't have to be afraid of the house. 

• Love 4

I am still excited by the Shaker house. I am obsessed with the Shakers. This time last year I released my own haunted house/ghost story set in Shaker Village. They were awesomely interesting (and even a little creepy, in some ways) in their own right. As soon as I saw those pegs on the walls I was jumping up shouting, "Shakers! Shakers!" Totally confused my 5-year-old DH who thought my chicken was under seasoned. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, mamadrama said:

That's a good, plausible argument for the real people being the murderers and NOT the ghosts. If they killed Cricket and the ex husband then they don't have to be afraid of the house. 

I liked how easily they/Matt slid into the narrative that the actors had not had to contend with the eerie-scary "Blood Moon" (though I will add, the latter looks fake as all hell).  Quick efficient meta-explanation of why the actors would agree to show up at the house to play their roles.

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Snookums said:

In fact, I'm betting that so far, all the deaths--the chainsawed guy, Diana in the car, Rory*--have been faked, and the "real" ghosts are fake, better made-up ones, and all this is Sydney's brainchild. And it's all going to go Horribly Wrong....

I can get down with this conspiracy theory. In fact, I might say that all the actors are in on it. Fake Matt came in the room and, as his way of announcing that Rory was dead, says calmly "R is for Rory"?? That's how he tells Rory's wife that her husband is dead? Seems implausible. She didn't even look too upset.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I can get down with this conspiracy theory. In fact, I might say that all the actors are in on it. Fake Matt came in the room and, as his way of announcing that Rory was dead, says calmly "R is for Rory"?? That's how he tells Rory's wife that her husband is dead? Seems implausible. She didn't even look too upset.

Except it was Real Matt that noticed the letter and told the group. 

• Love 4

I liked this episode better than all of the first half of the season combined.

Oh, I did too. It's just that the next few episodes are probably going to have the same issue as the first five: it's going to become more and more implausible that these people don't just leave that damn house. They're going to have to come up with a damn good reason to stick around after they discover poor Rory's body.

And, Even Peters, in only 2 episodes? They haven't wasted this actor as badly since Coven. He's the best thing this show has going for it for my money, and what do I get instead? Week after week of Cuba Gooding Jr.?? Why? 

• Love 5
On 10/21/2016 at 0:29 PM, Bruinsfan said:

They probably got paid a few thousand dollars for their story and appearance in the first season of the show so I'm sure they're fine financially.

Their rationale for coming back just doesn't make sense.

• Love 3

I've been down on this season but I really enjoyed this episode. I don't understand why it took us five episodes to get here and agree with iMonrey that there's still a load of stuff that is stupid and doesn't make sense.

I really like the humor that this episode brought because that's one of my favorite things about AHS and it's mostly been lacking this season. The producer imitating Cricket pretty much made the episode for me. That and Evan Peters using a British accent. 

I agree that Audrey has to be faking that accent because Sarah Paulson is way too good of an actress. Actually, I guess being able to do a bad accent that isn't OTT bad is probably more of a challenge for an actress than doing a flawless imitation. One of my favorite movies where a bad accent worked and was part of the plot was in Gosford Park and I got a similar vibe here in feeling sure that she was faking especially when it came to some of her word choices. Agreed with the poster who pointed out how unnatural the "quite mad" line sounded. 

I also admit that the producer who got attacked in her car did legit make me jump--the first time the show has given me a scare all season so I enjoyed that. 

I think there's something to the proposed theory that some of the actors might be in on a bigger twist and that the 'only one survived' idea might be a producer driven fake out because I agree that it's stupid to again tell the audience what happened before it actually happens. 

That being said, I like the 'And Then There Were None' angle. I agree that Lee has the best chance of surviving but mainly because of Flora. I think the story will allow her to live so that her kid isn't an orphan.

• Love 2

I wish they would include the fake Cricket in the house party.  Who on earth would they get to play the real Cricket in ghost form?  Then again, maybe the real Cricket wasn't as flamboyant and unique as the reinactor.  I noticed the producer's mimicking of Cricket but couldn't figure out if he loved the character or hated him.  

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Maybe "Cricket" is the only character who played himself on the TV show.

He recovered nicely from his disemboweling ;)

But yeah, I really cannot imagine a Real Cricket. The Fake Cricket was so OTT in a good way.

• Love 3