Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: Chapter 6

• Start Topic

OMG. NOW we are cookin' with gas. I freaking loved it. And when the card onscreen said "all but one person died, this is the found footage," my mouth dropped open. Dammit, Ryan Murphy, you got me this time. The first 5 episodes felt so weird, like they were trying to cram too much story into it, but we got the intro to all the Ghost Groups and now we can see them kill these fuckers one by one. Flove.

• Love 11
6 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

Love how crazy Kathy Bates' character is in real life, lol.

I wonder if she's actually possessed by the Butcher.

10 hours ago, rustyspigot said:

They looked like they were out in the woods for 30 years a little more.

The real Butcher looked a lot dirtier, too, than her TV counterpart. Has anyone screencapped the early scene of whoever smashed the window? Was that her?

I thought the ghosts couldn't really harm anyone until the blood moon was full, but Rory and the assistant producer were murdered before then?

• Love 3

I have a crazy theory that I am not sure makes any sense at all.  What if the unrealiable narrative we were watching and continue to watch actually proves there are no ghosts in the house and either Matt,. Shelby or Lee or all of them actually are murders.  Has anyone seen the movie Clue?  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3
58 minutes ago, valandsend said:

I thought the ghosts couldn't really harm anyone until the blood moon was full, but Rory and the assistant producer were murdered before then?

The blood moon is when the ghost can kill people directly. But at other times they can still manifest and mess with people.

The crew member was somehow manipulated into cutting his own head off with a chainsaw. And from what we saw, what actually killed Diana was her car flipping over when she lost control because the PigMan attacked her, not the PigMan's actual attack. 

As we saw in the reenactments, they ghost get more and more powerful in the days leading up to the blood moon. Which probably was already in place by the time Rory got killed. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

I have a crazy theory that I am not sure makes any sense at all.  What if the unrealiable narrative we were watching and continue to watch actually proves there are no ghosts in the house and either Matt,. Shelby or Lee or all of them actually are murders.  Has anyone seen the movie Clue?  

Diana's death put a huge dent on that theory. Anyone wearing the pig mask to scare her into crashing her car wouldn't have walked injury free from that wreck.

Besides... nobody has tried to use communism as a red herring.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 19

We also don't know how many "accidents" happened during the original production.  We saw one that had NotShelby (I have got to learn their names now don't I?) bang her leg.  It was minor and easily written off.  We don't know how many "other" minor accidents happened and were written off as pranks or just shit happens. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, valandsend said:

I wonder if she's actually possessed by the Butcher.  The real Butcher looked a lot dirtier, too, than her TV counterpart. Has anyone screencapped the early scene of whoever smashed the window? Was that her?  I thought the ghosts couldn't really harm anyone until the blood moon was full, but Rory and the assistant producer were murdered before then?

I believe Agnes is possessed by the Butcher considering how the butcher was thrown into the fire by her son.  The Druid gave her everlasting afterlife so she could easily possess the actress playing her.  The real Butcher is probably back

MY TAKE ON THIS EPISODE:

I also knew they would be back in that house but didn't expect the actors playing them to be there too.  Now everyone gets to play "haunted House" for real.  The only person I feel had no viable reason to go back was Matt who was more than happy to leave and never come back.  I feel his reason was to make up the money he lost by selling the house for half of what he paid for it.

Lee came back to clear her name from the stigma of being labeled a murderer.  Plus she is fighting the MIL of her late husband for custody of her daughter.

Shelby came back because it was the only way she would be able to reconnect to Matt.

As someone just mentioned the ghosts already proved they can kill before the moon is full and red.  The way to stop them beforehand was to yell CROATOAN!! and that would fail the day before the blood moon which was when they arrived.  Hence the reason the builder was killed when the house was built and when they were setting up for the reality show.  The attendant I feel, should not have been harmed as she was leaving the set before the blood moon just as Shelby could have left and kept on going when she first encounted the Butcher.

I agree with the bad Brit dialet from Paulson.  Evan's accent, however was spot on East End.  The show actually affected Bassett's character just as strongly as it did Agnes.  Just in different ways.  Bassett (don't remember her "real" name) took on Lee's drinking problem and I feel Agnes was both too into the character of the Butcher which allowed the Butcher to possess her so easily.

Knowing that everyone but one dies and this is just found footage, I feel it could only be Matt.  I don't think it will be Lee as the MIL was brought up so Flora is covered.  It won't be Shelby as I feel she will again be drawn in by Dominick.  I feel that in the third twist, Matt will tell his story as the lone survivor.  The reason being, just like "The Legend of Hell House" He is way too aware of what the house can do and is more cautious than either Lee or Shelby and the only one who has nothing really to gain by being there.

The only other person would be Agnes who technically was not actually invited to the house.  However, I do not believe that alive is going to mean the survivor escapes.  That is where the Druid will come in.

I felt bad for Evan's character being taken out by the nurses but the moment I found out his name was Rory, I knew his life was over.

• Love 8

Loved this episode, loved nearly everything about it.

Why not include the actors who played the ghosts (besides Agnes) like Gaga and Wes Bentley in the new season?  Does this mean we get to see the real Butcher and her son?  I'd love it if Frances Conroy played the real Butcher with Matt Bomer as the son. Who could play the real Gaga?

• Love 4
12 hours ago, peridot said:

The main producer is a real prick, can't wait to see the butcher get him. 

He's likely the one to survive...

3 hours ago, Anela said:

This is what I thought the whole season would be, when I read a spoiler elsewhere (about a reality show), when the first episode aired. Then I watched, and saw what she meant. I also figured they would bring them all back to the house, though.

I liked that woman saying, "I am NOT stopping to find out who that is!" I wish I hadn't clicked on this thread before that happened, though, because it spoiled the surprise of the pig man getting her. (the first half was moving too slowly for me, so I clicked, and then regretted it.)

I cheered so hard for her (for about 2 seconds)! That is one of the smartest things I have ever heard anyone in the horror genre say.

5 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Loved this episode, loved nearly everything about it.

Why not include the actors who played the ghosts (besides Agnes) like Gaga and Wes Bentley in the new season?  Does this mean we get to see the real Butcher and her son?  I'd love it if Frances Conroy played the real Butcher with Matt Bomer as the son. Who could play the real Gaga?

I'm guessing they are already scheduled to "drop by" at different points. Already arranged with agents, production, etc.  I also guess there is some sort of problem with the production trucks to live feed, so they have no reason to warn those scheduled to come later. The only thing that seems odd is that there's no way the producer would go long without seeing what's going on, though. I guess that will draw him to the house.

I am interested to see how the show now portrays each of the baddies, since what we saw before were the re-enactments. 

I still can't believe the real people came back, even Lee. None of those reasons are good enough if they really did see what happened to the professor and Cricket murdered like that.

• Love 7

I still can't believe the real people came back, even Lee. None of those reasons are good enough if they really did see what happened to the professor and Cricket murdered like that.

I liked the episode a lot, but that is one thing that I didn't really believe they would ever do.  If I saw someone gutted in front of me, came across people who were burned alive or have run into cannibal hillbillies, there would be no way whatsoever I would ever return to that place voluntarily.    

• Love 10

The set designer should win an Emmy. The cinematographer/lighting directors should never work again. Talk about muddy. Do they have so little confidence in their F/X that they have to make every scene so dark you can barely tell what's going on? I don't think it makes it more realistic, I think it just makes it impenetrable.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

We also don't know how many "accidents" happened during the original production.  We saw one that had NotShelby (I have got to learn their names now don't I?) bang her leg.  It was minor and easily written off.  We don't know how many "other" minor accidents happened and were written off as pranks or just shit happens. 

It wouldn't have been too many because they shot the reenactments in the summer. So it was much safer for the crew, which is why none of them were actually scared to return.

• Love 1

...Damn it show! Just when I think I`m out, they pull me back in!

I loved seeing all the reenactment people, and the backstage stuff, and the dickhead producer and the increasingly creepy shit. Plus, this episode was actually creepy at times, and it hasn't been really creepy in a few weeks. I jumped when the producer got attacked by the pigman, and then when they put up the graphic that everyone but one person died, and then jumped again when we saw the nurses. WAY scarier in "real life".

I appreciate that they did try to give Shelby Matt and Lee an actual reason to want to come to the house, but I still dont totally buy it. For Gods sake, you saw a guy being DISEMBOWELED BY GHOSTS! I wouldn't just not go back to the house, I wouldn't go back to North Carolina. 

I bet the lady playing Shelby is faking her silly British accent. She seems pretentious enough. I did like her making fun of Shelby though. She really is kind of a drip. Plus, cheating on your husband with a guy who played him on TV? Thats just...lame.

That producer is officially the smartest person in this whole series, so of course she had to die. Man, that glimpse we saw of one of the ghosts was creepy looking. I am actually excited about this season again! 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

Who could play the real Gaga?

I speculated a bit ago that it will be Taissa Farmiga, as we know she's coming back.

1 hour ago, morgankobi said:

None of those reasons are good enough if they really did see what happened to the professor and Cricket murdered like that.

And what and how are these deaths accounted for? If the only people who saw these things happen are not really being believed, since it's all rooted in the ghost story, what do the professor's and Cricket's loved ones/family/friends/acquaintances suppose actually became of them? Are they just missing persons? did anyone actually investigate?

I really hope Wes Bentley is back too.

Edited by luna1122
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, Inkmaster0345 said:

I wonder who the new ghosts are going to be? Obviously they can't use Kathy Bates, Lady Gaga or Wes Bentley. Finn Wittrock, anybody?

I would laugh if they actually got Jessica Lange back for one episode to play the original witch.

• Love 16

I had the same reaction to this episode as I did with the first episode this season: it's different, but I'm not sure yet that it works. I certainly didn't find it particularly scary, so I'm not convinced it works as "horror." At this point it's interesting enough to keep me watching, but that's the same thing I said after the season premier. At any rate, whatever comes next still doesn't absolve the show of the failure of the first five episodes. Now even more, they feel like something we had to sit through just to understand this part. Not sure it was worth it.

• Love 2

As I list the holes in plotting and such, I must admit I do like that they are attempting this. But, boy they could have set this up with at least two less episodes than they did.

I'm still thrown off by the (horribly acted) historian a few episodes ago listing the creepy history of the house, which was apparently well-know to similar historians. It didn't fit with the narrative at the time, and even less with this one where no one seems to believe that anything odd happened there to Matt and Shelby, or that anything apparently ever has.

• Love 3

There is not a damn chance I would set foot back in that house if I experienced all of the things real Shelby/Matt say they did. No way. Ever. At all. So I have a hard time with that setup.

I also am really prone to motion sickness so I am not looking forward to the "handicam" footage likely to overwhelm the remainder of the season. 

• Love 7

Excellent.  After your audience has been exposed to supernatural drill bit rape and giant crochet hook disembowelment--what are you going to do with the back half of the season?  Amp up the gore??

Just SO smart to shift everything sideways:   characters we already know well, switched from passive narrators to active participants. . . characters we've already met, endowed with fresh personalities. . . and scary monsters we've already seen, now scarier for being grubbier, more visceral and real-time unpredictable.

I gotta admit--the man's sort of a genius.

• Love 9

The show gave "reasonable" explanations for why Lee and Shelby went back as least in television terms.  Lee more then Shelby though I could see her seeing it as the only chance she had of regaining  custody of her daughter.  Lee was tried in the court of public opinion and was a stones throw away from losing her kid and possibly ending up in prison.  Honestly even in real life real people terms I could see her betting the farm to regain her good name.  Shelby's reasons are more problematic and "television logic" but they do make sense.  She believes it is her chance to save her marriage.  Matt is the only one who seems to have no reason to risk his life but we don't know his motive yet or even if he has any beyond wanting to prove he isn't a liar.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

All through this episode, I was so happy - I think it's an awesome idea and I really love it. I also think the found footage trope will keep it from getting bogged down and keep me from getting hung up on inconsistencies, so I can just enjoy.  Plot holes can be hand waved due to missing footage.

I think Matt came back because he's basically suicidal and to help his sister clear her name. I found the explanations for everyone coming back fairly believable. Lee, Matt and Shelby's lives are in tatters, they can't get away from the events in any case, might just as well go back.  Even though I would have left the second teeth rained from the sky, they didn't, so their situation is outside my experience.

My money is on Kathy Bates as the survivor. The production crew dies too, right? Otherwise, the footage wouldn't have been missing.

• Love 5

I will say that I freaking loved the Kathy Bates talking heads. I hope she is all over the rest of the season because I love her and find her so entertaining. Last night was the first episode of AHS I have EVER watched in real time (I generally watch it the next day, when it's light outside - I live alone and it's too scary to watch at night) because I didn't want the big twist to get spoiled. I picked a good episode to watch in the dark, because it wasn't too bad scare-wise!

• Love 9
27 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

The show gave "reasonable" explanations for why Lee and Shelby went back as least in television terms.  Lee more then Shelby though I could see seeing it as the only chance she had of regaining  custody of her daughter.  Lee was tried in the court of public opinion and was a stones throw away from losing her kid and possibly ending up in prison.  Honestly even in real life real people terms I could see her betting the farm to regain her good name.  Shelby's reasons are more problematic at "television logic" but they do make sense.  She believes it is her chance to save her marriage.  Matt is the only one who seems to have no reason to risk his life but we don't know his motive yet or even if he has any beyond wanting to prove he isn't a liar.

I can kinda see it for Matt too. He seems almost nihilistic. He's lost his wife, he's lost weight which is likely a sign that he's deeply troubled (and who wouldn't be?), he's depressed, and his sister is there. I can buy that he feels compelled to go back, almost in a "I have nothing left so maybe it's time for me to die" kind of way.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, tvsoothesthespirit said:

My money is on Kathy Bates as the survivor. The production crew dies too, right? Otherwise, the footage wouldn't have been missing.

I don't know if Kathy Bates counts as a "participant" (it said all the participants died except one), since she is kind of crashing the party. And the "intended show never aired" or was produced, but that doesn't mean the footage itself was missing. More like "oh Christ, everyone is dead, all we can make is a snuff film" ;) 

If Ryan Murphy wanted to troll us, he'd have Cuba be the only survivor, since a lot of folks seem to consider him a weak link in the cast. I think he's alright.

• Love 6

I absolutely love this season. I like "haunted house stuff" - I think that's why I loved the first season so much. I do like the twist of it being shot like a reality show, since the only ones that I watch are completion based (GAR, Top Chef, PR and okay Survivor) so I love to make fun of this stuff. So far this season has scared me in a good way. I'm in :O)

• Love 3

I don't know if Kathy Bates counts as a "participant" (it said all the participants died except one), since she is kind of crashing the party.

We shall see, my friend, we shall see!

I don't know if Kathy Bates counts as a "participant" (it said all the participants died except one), since she is kind of crashing the party. And the "intended show never aired" or was produced, but that doesn't mean the footage itself was missing. More like "oh Christ, everyone is dead, all we can make is a snuff film" ;) 

I thought it said that all the film the had was what they "found" three months later or something. That's the problem with me, I take literary license with everything I watch!

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, tvsoothesthespirit said:

We shall see, my friend, we shall see!

I thought it said that all the film the had was what they "found" three months later or something. That's the problem with me, I take literary license with everything I watch!

That was the footage from the crashed car, I believe. Which, BTW, would be a really long time for them to not find the footage, unless the car crashed into a deep ravine or somethin' :-P

• Love 2

I liked this episode better than all of the first half of the season combined. I know it's not really "original", other shows & movies have done this, but I still find it entertaining. I'm a Big Brother watcher-although that has been really taxing the last few seasons- so I like the all-seeing cameras angle. I think I'm really going to like this part of the season.

I always seem to get Wes Bentley and Cheyanne Jackson confused, I spent the whole time thinking the producer was Wes til like the last 5 minutes, then I remembered the role that Jackson played last season and this guy has some of the same speech mannerisms. It's just, to me, they look a lot alike.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, Last Time Lord said:

Ooh! I had completely forgotten about the nurses spelling out the word "Murder" from the names of the people they killed until they showed the fully spelled word.

Is it? Since they were committing multiple murders, they may go for the plural with Shelby or Sidney, before starting over with Matt. Or they could try for a phrase like "murder house".

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Kat From Jersey said:

Holy crap, but Cheyenne Jackson is gorgeous! He's so slimy this season, but still gorgeous.

Yes! I remember how handsome he was when he performed “Don’t Walk Away” at the Tony Awards some years back, and he looked nothing like that in Hotel, but he’s really slim this season. Too bad the character is slime.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, willco said:

I always seem to get Wes Bentley and Cheyanne Jackson confused, I spent the whole time thinking the producer was Wes til like the last 5 minutes, then I remembered the role that Jackson played last season and this guy has some of the same speech mannerisms. It's just, to me, they look a lot alike.

Ryan Murphy definitely has a type. Don't forget Finn Wittrock and Matt Bomer. Ryan loves him a brunette.

Edited by rubinia
  • Love 9

Ryan Murphy definitely has a type. Don't forget Finn Wittrock and Matt Bomer. Ryan loves him a brunette.

I think his type is brunette/blue eyes.  I think it was last season that someone put up a picture of all four of them together, and then you suddenly realize you are viewing Ryan Murphy's shower nozzle masturbation material. 

Is it? Since they were committing multiple murders, they may go for the plural with Shelby or Sidney, before starting over with Matt. Or they could try for a phrase like "murder house".

I do wonder if we'll see each group get their own "kill."  Though I don't think the Chen's seemed very interested in killing anyone.  Maybe they can pull a Beetlejuice and make everyone sing a Partridge Family song. 

• Love 12

Chaz Bono was on the Bold and the Beautiful not long ago marrying two of the characters on that show so that scene made me laugh.

Amen to why the bloody hell would Lee, Shelby, and Matt go back to that house?! There is no good reason on this earth for them to! 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Perhaps my favorite thing in the entire episode was when the producer (Cheyenne Jackson) imitated Cricket!

He is usually reliable, but he's tearing up the season as the slimy producer.  I adore watching it.

7 hours ago, ridethemaverick said:

I can kinda see it for Matt too. He seems almost nihilistic. He's lost his wife, he's lost weight which is likely a sign that he's deeply troubled (and who wouldn't be?), he's depressed, and his sister is there. I can buy that he feels compelled to go back, almost in a "I have nothing left so maybe it's time for me to die" kind of way.

I'm surprised one of the two (Shelby/Matt) isn't back because they're broke after sinking all their savings into the house, as they kept reminding us in the front half of the season.  I kind of simultaneously see why RM wouldn't do that because some people already weren't buying it, but they're getting salary for showing up so I wouldn't be surprised that one of the two marrieds would choose that method.  Maybe that will be revealed as part of Matt's reason.  It would be dumb to have it be both their reasons, and I feel like Lily Rabe has already sold that Shelby is back because she still feels married to Matt, and hopes that forcing them to be in proximity can stave off divorce.

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 1

I loved the reality show aspect. It was such a trainwreck that I was upset that it was over when the credits started rolling. 

I also like that the ghosts were much scarier looking than the made to look pretty tv versions. I didn't even remember that the nurses needed an R. I also wonder if this is another set up, where "Rory" was in on the being murdered thing. The rest of the eps are going to make me question everything. It was a good way to change up the usual AHS format. 

If they are doing a version of "And There Were None", I'd love that too. 

• Love 5

If I'm estranged from my husband, I'm pretty sure I could think of at least one other place on god's green earth to corner him into a talk other than the place we witnessed a man literally have his intestines removed whilst still alive, Braveheart style! And that's not even counting the witnessing of the live cannibalism of crazy Professor Denis O'Hare and the fact they themselves were seconds away from being murdered the last time they were there!

"Hallelujah! Holy shit! Where's the Tylenol?"

• Love 8

If Matt, Shelby, or Sidney are one of the last one standing I will be disappointed since I don't like them. Though it one of ends up being charged with the murders of everyone else I could deal.

Grateful Cuba didn't have as much screen time this week.

The speculation that Rory being killed was fake is good but I don't see him doing that to Audrey. He loves her you could tell. She was worried about him leaving but I feel that was more on her part then his. I do think someone might move his body though. Either they will think he left or is missing. No other reason they would still stay in the house after they find him dead. 

Dear Ryan, Could you let Evan Peters character live next season? Thanks .

• Love 5

Okay, M-U-R-D-E-R has been completely spelled out now. So, does that mean the nurses are finished with their killing spree? Or does it mean there will be a second word using the rest of the people's names and whoever survives has an initial that doesn't fit into their phrase? But that would also infer that all the killings were done by the nurses because the butcher, pigman, etc. would not put a letter up there when they murdered someone. Oh, well, just something I thought of but did not know all the actors' "real" names to see if the remaining people's initials spell anything out.

• Love 1

Regarding my theory above - to see if spelling another word out might be a possibility - What names am I missing?

Shelby

Matt

Lee

Audrey - actress who played Shelby

Dominic - actor who played Matt

What is Angela Bassett's character's name? And am I forgetting anyone else?

Edited by llewis823
  • Love 1