Type keyword(s) to search

Gold Rush - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I wonder Todd-drama they will show, to start this season.    no crew?  no dozers/trucks/washplant?    no claim?    no money?

no problem.

remember at a season beginning (a season or two ago), they showed him sitting in the backyard, watching his firepit?   was he sitting in the rain?   I don't remember.      ;)            if he was an alaskan bush family, it would have been in the rain.     hahaha

I wonder Todd-drama they will show, to start this season.   ............

Without reality TV this guy would be mowing the grass at the family landing strip.  When you look at what he has sold Discovery and sold his employees, sales may be a more lucrative career for him than working at the family landing strip.

Any idea how much Discovery pays each of these 'reality stars' per episode?

I think I'm going to pass on this season. It was interesting watching Toad fuck up the first couple of seasons and in South America, but now that it seems the show is invested in making him a success no matter what, I'm outta here.

• Love 1

I think I'm going to pass on this season. It was interesting watching Toad fuck up the first couple of seasons and in South America, but now that it seems the show is invested in making him a success no matter what, I'm outta here.

Sorry to hear that, but totally understand.

The other characters have become much more interesting than the Hoffman crew

• Love 1

I watch this show more for Parker and Tony than the Huffmans.  Its was nice seeing Todd humbled last year...well at the beginning of the season anyway.  By the end he was showing his old self so this year will probably be more of the same.  He will never live down South Africa.  Ever.

So what is up with Tony and Parker?  I will tune in just to see why Tony is kicking Parker off his claim.  I love/hate Tony but lately its more hate.  And Parker has his moments too but he is 20 freaking years old and a hard worker so I cut him a lot of slack.  Plus I love his grandpa.

So bring it on!

• Love 3

Only a few minutes into The Dirt, and I'm already shouting "Shut, up Todd; Shut up, Jack".  I really can't stand those two.

They got 1,000 ounces last year, and acted like it was a victory.  They probably spent a hundred times that much.  What a joke, Disco!

• Love 1

You'd think Gene shat gold out his ass the way everybody wants him.  

I can't decide if i'm on Parker's side or Tony's.  Or if it's just some scripted drama.  

Frickin Toad needs to shut the frick up and let frickin Dave run the whole frickin thing.

• Love 2

the new host looks hot ;)

todd hoffman's son going "camping" in the woods with his male friend......oh my ;) (just kidding)....now they are pushing 3 generations of mining....please.  just grooming the kid so he can be on teh show and be an extra head that discovery has to pay for being in the show.

so i guess discovery is forcing a storyline this year of hoffman gunning for parker.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz  i thought it was quite obvious that parker is nothing without gene.  i guess we'll find out this year if that is true.  mined 2k ounces last year with gene.  let's say, if he mines less than 1k ounces this year without gene, then that thought process would be true.

matt rogers, new host.....yummmmmmmy

you think todd would have a heart attack if his son turns out gay?

...and that is how valuable gene is......enough to make tony fold and drop his pants.....

frankly, parker got lucky with that non compete clause with gene.  don't think tony will forget about it......watch out.

makes me feel bad for gene.  with his talents, he should be running his own claim, instead of letting garbage like parker leech off of him.

Complete and utter shenanigans on the contract issue.  Scribner was already mined.  Parker had to move on somewhere.  Tony would never, ever, ever, have gone through with his dredge plans without having several great options for "captain."  Gene is just not that good.  All that contract talk, at that level, without Parker's dad and/or his lawyer there?  Unpossible.

A non-compete goes away if the employer no longer has the same-level job available for the employee to perform.   Parker had no such job for Gene to perform.  Really simple, to quote our favorite Dane.  :)  

It was all for show.  Didja catch the quick quote from Parker saying he gets the rights for next year at the new tracts?  What BS.

It was a brilliant bit of showbiz to use Disco's avowed desire to have Parker and Grandpa together at Big Nugget as the cause for the new clause forbidding Parker from expanding operations beyond Beets' claims.  

Did Alaska OSHA put it to Tony to upgrade the dredge?  I'd bet that is the only reason we had the "surprise" visit from Minnie dictating safety terms.  Making something nice out of the hash, I'd say.  

So...it was said before that there was no way to make $ on a claim unless gold was selling above $1,400/oz USD.  It hasn't been there since before LAST season even began.   On what basis does sub $1,200 work?  

• Love 3

Complete and utter shenanigans on the contract issue.  Scribner was already mined.  Parker had to move on somewhere.  Tony would never, ever, ever, have gone through with his dredge plans without having several great options for "captain."  Gene is just not that good.  All that contract talk, at that level, without Parker's dad and/or his lawyer there?  Unpossible.

A non-compete goes away if the employer no longer has the same-level job available for the employee to perform.   Parker had no such job for Gene to perform.  Really simple, to quote our favorite Dane.  :)  

It was all for show.  Didja catch the quick quote from Parker saying he gets the rights for next year at the new tracts?  What BS.

It was a brilliant bit of showbiz to use Disco's avowed desire to have Parker and Grandpa together at Big Nugget as the cause for the new clause forbidding Parker from expanding operations beyond Beets' claims.  

Did Alaska OSHA put it to Tony to upgrade the dredge?  I'd bet that is the only reason we had the "surprise" visit from Minnie dictating safety terms.  Making something nice out of the hash, I'd say.  

So...it was said before that there was no way to make $ on a claim unless gold was selling above $1,400/oz USD.  It hasn't been there since before LAST season even began.   On what basis does sub $1,200 work?  

a non-compete clause is mainly designed for when the employee leaves (so it doesn't really go away when they leave).....that's standard.....but i find it surprising that it's even in there given these are not even considered junior miners, per se.  i suppose this is probably his dad's doing (god knows parker's an idiot to think this one up for himself).  i suppose i can swallow the idea given talent is limited there up north.

in terms of your osha reference, i thought this show was filmed in the yukon territory, canada.  so i don't think osha applies there.

as far as not making money at 1400/ounce....that was when gasoline was hovering around 3-4 dollars/gallon and oil at 90-100/barrel......both of which are the bulk of the cost of mining.  there is also the exchange rate of canadian to american, which i believe at a few years, the canadian dollar was quite strong against the dollar, until last year.  these companies usually hedge against such inflation costs of gasoline and oil by buying futures and currency hedging as well..........but again, i highly doubt these operations are that sophisticated, but big operation miners do tend to do such hedgings.  also, the cost per basis to mine, that figure is more towards bigger operations, not small time like these.  bigger operations have to worry about huge payrolls to the board of directors and CEO's, extra mining methods, leach pads, acid extraction, employee benefits, building upkeeps, utilities, retirement accounts and matching, etc.

• Love 1

What an entitled little dweeb!

Thinking that Beets is putting a collar around his neck.  For some reason his mother and father and grandfather do not have any decent claims for him, he has nothing for himself, and he thinks working on someone else's property is too much.

He's got a shortage of skill, talent and resources, yet thinks he should be able to mine for free.

His paycheck from Disco does not seem to be big enough. 

Lot's of good thoughts posted so far!

Toad makes it difficult to root for the Hoffman crew, and it's a shame 'cause so many of his crew are nice people.  I fully expected Toad to give a name to Logan's rescue operation.  Toad seems to think naming things is as big a challenge as doing things.

Disco manufacturing the drama at every turn.  No wonder the cameras did not spend much time with the Dodge brothers last year.

Edited by Liberty
  • Love 2

Thank you, lovebug1975 for the thoughtful response.

The $1400 figure came out of a Disco operation, not a mega mine.  I think it was Dakota, but I can't recall specifically.  Of course, that is dependant upon costs.  Disco has paid for the fuel for these guys for a very long time.  But, for argument's sake, I brought up the number as a data point to show that even if we believe the stories promulgated by Disco and the miners, the operations are doomed with gold having been at less than $1200 for nearly a year, now.

Canadian OSHA and environmental control is even more onerous than Alaska's.  

Yes, a non-compete is to protect an employer and yes, it likely came from his Dad or his lawyer.  I don't know how standard it is.  Does Tony routinely slap one in his contracts?  But, if the company goes away, or it moves on to a significantly different business than the one the key employee was engaged in, there is no competition remaining.  It takes two.  Therefore, a non-compete is vitiated and the employee is free to seek his fortune.  Parker had no claims to mine anywhere.  Gene was free the moment Tony kicked Parker off his property.

Of course, all of the non-compete/Gene stuff pre-supposes it was real to begin with.  It wasn't.

Is it at all feasible that Parker just decided to go for a little ride and figured out precisely which tracts he was going to ask for?  They all had that worked out to the inch well before any shooting had begun.  

• Love 1

I apologize for not including this in my last post...

Why on earth would Tony have pointed out the clause which prohibited Parker from dallying elsewhere?  Have you ever noticed him being kind enough to point out traps in the terms to Parker, or anyone else?  Or, have we seen the polar opposite behavior from him - busting out some arcane clause which is to his benefit, when a situation develops?

I get that there may have been a murky legal situation with the first contract having been signed (Which begs the question as to why parker would be stupid enough to sign again!), but all he needed to do was say to read it all very carefully before signing.  Parker is stupid and vain and cheap enough to not heed such a warning, anyway.  If it went to court, Tony would point out he told Parker to read it ALL.  The very fact that Parker was being made to sign again would be all the evidence any judge would need to decide against Parker.  Unless there was a change, there would have been zero point to a new contract.  Parker should have known.  Simple.   :)

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes

I figured Gene would be playing a part this season because they kept mentioning his name.   Even after he turned Parker down, his name was still mentioned.

what happened to that clause when the final agreement was made?    no further mention of it.

who doesn't get a final copy of the contract before spending a bunch of money?       why didn't Parker tell Tony that his word was no good anymore?

Todd tells Dave he promised double gold this year.     I was waiting for Dave to ask the " Or else.......?  "   question.    

I guess it was ok that Todd's complete operation just shows up this year.   No drama.   No explanation.

interesting how todd never told dave why he made that promise.....seems to me like todd is gonna snake his way into that new land once they meet the quota without dave...perhaps form  a new company without dave.......wouldn't put it past the scum butterball and his dad.

Edited by lovebug1975

how can idiot todd and his dad say parker has better land and they can do better where he is?  last year, todd had better land.  per parker's admission, the land he was mining last year had been mined twice over while todd's land (according to him) is so rich that he was willing to pay a 20 percent royalty........and parker still managed to double him in totals.

though it is correct that this year parker has virgin land, that bravado they just said about ding better than parker is pure shit given what happened last year.  todd had way better land than parker last year, by far.  this year, that might be true since parker's crew are greenhorns, but to say you'd do twice as well is ridiculous given last year's results. 

the two old negative nellies bringing doubting gene is pissing me off.  they caused the damn problems of the buckets going unaligned and freaking doubting every step gene makes.  and when gene gets it done, he freaking yells he can't believe it....freaking monkey with shoes.

Edited by lovebug1975
  • Love 1

I hope Parker's Grandpa is well and vigorous.

I've not seen a dirtier/more chaff-filled weigh in on this show than the one for the dredge in this ep.  That land must have been worked over pretty good to only yield even that much after all the "paydirt" it processed.  

I call shenanigans with the envy and jealousy over Gene being "captain."   Those dudes have always been the nattering nabobs of negativity.  It's plainly their role on this TV drama show.  Why on earth would they sabotage the dredge by refusing to closely follow orders when things get sticky?  A sane and veteran engineer would do what it took to keep getting paid.  If that dredge dies, they get el zippo!  

• Love 1

Kind of sad they needed to have Toad in for a cameo.  I was getting along fine without his presence and insightful comments about Tony's operation.

Wonder if Tony is the real owner of the claim Todd is on, or if it just worked out that all three claims were so close together.

• Love 2

Kind of sad they needed to have Toad in for a cameo.  I was getting along fine without his presence and insightful comments about Tony's operation.

Wonder if Tony is the real owner of the claim Todd is on, or if it just worked out that all three claims were so close together.

well, i liked his reaction to the 10 gallons/hour vs 10 gallons/second.  the utter envy, so yummy....yes, todd, yes.  such tasty envy from coming from you.

anyhoo....that really is impressive to have that kind of efficiency....now if only it wasn't being operated by monkeys with shoes, lol.

Kind of sad they needed to have Toad in for a cameo.

I wonder if he has something in his contract about that.      (appearing in every show)

It would have been more interesting if Dave had stopped by.

Edited by clod
  • Love 1

How much pay was actually processed at the dredge to produce "60" ounces in that week?  Where was it coming from?  It sure didn't look like they moved anything close to what the others do in a day, let alone a week.  I also wonder about the small goal TB supposedly set - only $1 million???  How is he supposed to expand his dredging ops with more dredges, if he only brings in $1 million gross on this one?

I loved how Parker was basically forced to be kinder and gentler with Emily.  Where were all the V/Os and THs explaining how they could not afford to be shut down?  We went from him forcing a breakneck pace, to shutdown - and not a word was heard about it.  

• Love 2

Any idea why Tony's dredge does not have to have overburden removed?  How did Tony's pond get so close to the gold rich bedrock area when Toad and Parker are still clearing overburden?

Funny how Turin was in charge of punching the start buttons on Monsta Red rather than Thurber.

I am not the type of person to root against ANYONE (outside of sports, but that is all in good fun)...but it is damn hard rooting FOR the Hoffmans.

They really just aren't very likable.

I dream of a season where the Dakota Boys come back and it is just them, Tony and Parker...NO Hoffmans...

I can tell already the producers are extremely happy it seems Todd is going to come out on top this season. They seem to love the guy. So we will get to hear how great Todd is and how he finally beat Parker despite the VERY obvious handicaps Parker has going for him with all the greenhorns. Not to mention it looks like the Hoffmans have about 3x the crew members Parker does and much better equipment (including the biggest wash plant in Alaska I believe?).

Which I would love to know where the Hoffmans get all their money for all that fancy equipment considering South America supposedly "broke" them a couple years ago?

• Love 1

Which I would love to know where the Hoffmans get all their money for all that fancy equipment considering South America supposedly "broke" them a couple years ago?

Totally understand your post.

They are a company named 316 mining.  It seems possible that they get investors or backers to put up the money, since as you said South America "broke" them.  It really looks like Caterpillar, Volvo and Polaris are promoting themselves on the show.

Thinking back to the first season, Toad sold the dream to Discovery, and they failed at Porcupine Creek, but succeeded in the ratings.  They work hard to keep it appearing to be reality TV, but every season gets further from reality.

Funny how Parker's people were giving instructions to the production crew during Emily's meltdown.

• Love 2

Yeah, my respect for Rick went up by him not letting them film that girl having her breakdown.

There was no need to embarrass her any further by filming it.

Rick seems like a nice stand-up guy anyways.

• Love 2

There were published reports that Disco coughed up north of $10 million to pay for the jungle adventures.  It is widely known that Disco pays all the fuel costs for everyone.  It would be the shock of shocks if the featured miners do not also receive substantial appearance fees, as well.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 3

I am not the type of person to root against ANYONE (outside of sports, but that is all in good fun)...but it is damn hard rooting FOR the Hoffmans.

They really just aren't very likable.

I dream of a season where the Dakota Boys come back and it is just them, Tony and Parker...NO Hoffmans...

I can tell already the producers are extremely happy it seems Todd is going to come out on top this season. They seem to love the guy. So we will get to hear how great Todd is and how he finally beat Parker despite the VERY obvious handicaps Parker has going for him with all the greenhorns. Not to mention it looks like the Hoffmans have about 3x the crew members Parker does and much better equipment (including the biggest wash plant in Alaska I believe?).

All this "King of the Klondike" shite and everything else Disco tries to sell us is a bucket of bunk.  The ONLY thing that matters is NET PROFIT - i.e. total cost per ounce of gold.  I'd suspect the Dodge brothers and Tony Beets are the only ones who even come close to making a profit.  Take the TV show and Disco money away and see who is left mining.

ETA, - I meant Freddy Dodge et al, not the Dakota guys, who may or may not be real miners.

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 2

And on another note, I don't know much about gold mining or gold in general, but surely all that black stuff is NOT gold? Why is it when I see them weigh their gold there is a LOT of black rock/sand in with it?

I can't remember the last time I saw a weigh-in and the gold was PURE gold.

• Love 2

All the gold weight is Disco BS, too; until it is assayed properly, it's only a wild guess, and everybody knows it!

Does anyone really believe ANY of the numbers Disco spews and spawns in an attempt to make TV more "compelling"?

• Love 2

In recent past seasons, there was 15%, give or take, of chaff after the smelting process was complete.  I am given to understand that the rule of thumb is to count on about 80% purity before smelting is complete in a typical, non-Disco, situation.  

What we've seen from the dredge in consecutive weeks was so much more than that 20% it is laughable.  As others have said, Beets would blow a gasket if one of his lessees, or even one of his children, would dare present him with such dirt for weigh-in.

• Love 3
Episode synopsis: Todd's attempt to deal with a mountain of tailings pits him against his son Hunter. Tony's dredge takes a hit as he puts a rookie winchman in the hot seat. Parker seeks advice from his Grandpa as he struggles to save his season.

What a mess!  Toad's management style seems to demonstrate that he thinks pressing a button on a walkie-talkie is as difficult as working.  Parker thinks replacing Gene with Rick will be the solution when Parker is making business decisions based on 'going with his gut'.  Jeez, these guys shouldn't even be on TV.

Toad and Jack telling the poor kid two different things to do, when all either of them is doing is hanging on a walkie-talkie.  The new mechanic probably brings some authentic skills to the group, he seems to have more experience and success than Toad's mechanic.

• Love 2

If you totaled up all the footage of Todd actually working, EVER...I doubt it would fill a 10 minute segment.

Either the editors hate him or he is one the laziest damn miners in existence....

Rick is going to make a good foreman, but he is no Gene, that is for sure.

And yeah Todd, we get it...you are going to have a HUGE season. Man, what an accomplishment with a workforce the size of a small city, millions of dollars in high end equipment, great ground and some very obvious Discovery financial backing (how the hell could they afford to have EVERYONES family living there otherwise?). Seriously, there has to be at least 40 people living there now.

• Love 4

^^^ So much THIS.  The Hoffmans could mine more gold than Parker, Tony Beets and the Dodge brothers combined, and they STILL wouldn't be able to cover all the costs.  What a farce.

And I am SOOOO tired of this "King of the Klondike" shite Disco is trying to make happen.  Give it a rest, puleeze!

Now Toad is going to create his own little cult compound up there ...

• Love 2

From where is the paydirt for the dredge emanating?  We never see any of the dozer activity.  Why don't they have the overburden issues everyone else does?  What do they actually do with the tailings and boulders which the dredge spits out?  That's all in the water, so what equipment goes in to remove it all?

Why was Gene barely seen and not trained up on operating the gear levers?  That makes zero sense.  How is he supposed to run that thing without knowing every square inch of the thing and how it properly operates?  Such shenanigans.  The obvious answer is that the dredge is not about profit.  It's a bought and paid-for Disco story arc.  Tony has no actual skin in the game.  He may be entitled to some share of the proceeds, but there is no way he would be on the hooks personally as it's been said.  If he were, do you think he would let the Keystone Cops run it?  By the by - have you seen the nice awnings and fencing that's been added?  Why didn't we see their installation?  Oh.  That's right...because if this were real, Tony would have lost his mind with the excessive delay.  

So, Parker was perfectly willing to take on green hands.  We got the drama with the fragile woman.  Question:  He, and all the others, are constantly being approached by folks with real gold mining experience who beg for work.  Why aren't they the ones hired?  Does it make any sense whatsoever that Parker went with all newbies when he lost Gene?  Wouldn't you bring in folks who knew what to do?   Why didn't Tony, who supposedly gets a nice piece of Parker's work product, insist that Parker bring in proven miners?

I love him, but I've seen enough of Grandpa Shnabel.   I wish him all the best.  

• Love 2

Yup, you would think miners with actual experience would be lining up to not only get a cut of the gold profits, but whatever fees Discovery pays them for being on TV (not to mention, some people just want to be on TV).

Instead we get a bunch of greenhorns....purely for drama on TV.

Eh, guess we can't complain TOO much since we DO support this kind of dishonest "reality TV" by tuning in to it every week....I just wish it would stop. Give us HONEST reality TV. Guess that would be too "boring" for the masses though...

• Love 2

Since they have cut back on Dave Turin's on camera exposure, it makes Parker the worst at delivering his lines!  The simple "single factor for success" concept that Grandpa presented about 'TEAM': helps to have equipment, capital resources and gold in the ground.  It is starting to look like Rick Ness is the most stable on the claim!  

The show's writing is getting worse, 'Do you want my dog dead?'  'Make it happen'.

It is interesting how they keep the 'compounds' these people live in off camera.  With Parker's gang having females the demands for the 'camp' have changed.  Some of Toad's gang has their entire family around but their RV park is kept from us.  A couple of seasons ago they did have Thurber give an on camera tour of the RV park, and he explained how sewage management was a very large part of his responsibility.  The "316 Mining" flag now flies above the wash plant, used to be both a Canadian and American flag. 

The resources these people have is amazing, all done with electric generators.  We never get to see the fuel trucks make deliveries, but that's has to be a regular event.

Guessing something went wrong with the Dodge brothers' operation this season, Freddie has already been on two shows I think.  Maybe part of his responsibility for having sold "Monster Red" to 316 Mining.  Lots of things can change season to season as we've seen from Porcupine Creek to the current season.

Edited by Liberty
  • Love 3
Some of Toad's gang has their entire family around but their RV park is kept from us.  A couple of seasons ago they did have Thurber give an on camera tour

was that the show where Todd said he has the generator running all night long, just in case he might get up in the middle of the night and want something hot to eat or drink?

it might have been the summer after the old wash plant was destroyed before the new one was ready.    iirc, they had six weeks of downtime.    nothing else to film.

was that the show where Todd said he has the generator running all night long, just in case he might get up in the middle of the night and want something hot to eat or drink?

Do not recall Toad saying that, or if it was that episode.  A statement like that does demonstrate his lack of frugality which suggests the idea he probably is not paying for the fuel, or is making so much from non-mining revenue that the fuel cost is negligible compared to the luxury of a hot beverage or snack.

Edited by Liberty
  • Love 2