Type keyword(s) to search

Gold Rush - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 12/21/2019 at 2:52 AM, Stealthy said:

Ok I just have missed something. Why is Tony not running the dredges? Is is connected to the water license issue?

On 1/4/2020 at 9:17 AM, walnutqueen said:

Yes.  No water license, no dredging.

See, this is where the show is missing out.  Many of us would enjoy the behind-the-scenes business of obtaining permits, applying for a water license, and things like that.

Back when a reality show meant a film crew following along as a group of people do what they normally do, they followed a contractor into the building department in a small town.

Well, the small town mayor saw the film crew and just about jumped over the desks to get in front of the camera!  It was hilarious!  He asked if he could help, while literally smoothing down his hair with his bare hands.

It goes to show that the equipment and the people can make for a good show.  They don't need the manufactured drama and it doesn't add to the show anyway.

Edited by TheLastKidPicked
  • Love 5

It has been a treat to see Gene Cheeseman and Freddy Dodge helping out this season.

Rick Ness has always seemed like a pretty nice fellow, but Gene and Freddy have forgotten more about gold mining than Rick knows.

Have been enjoying "Whitewater" this season too.  Some quite creative bush fixes on that show.

Edited by Liberty
  • Love 3
On 1/29/2020 at 5:33 PM, Liberty said:

It has been a treat to see Gene Cheeseman and Freddy Dodge helping out this season.

Rick Ness has always seemed like a pretty nice fellow, but Gene and Freddy have forgotten more about gold mining than Rick knows.

Have been enjoying "Whitewater" this season too.  Some quite creative bush fixes on that show.

I was getting kind of tired of this show last season and wasn't going to watch this year. The main show with Rick, Tony and Parker is all I watch of it. It's kind of interesting sometimes but three hours is too much. I agree about Cheeseman and Dodge. Even if they've got some learning to do, Rick's crew seems like they'd be okay to work with. I'd never work for someone like Schnable or Beets. I kind of like Tony but not hardass bosses.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, JayDub1987 said:

Does the lack of activity here mean no one still watches this show? Kinda looking forward to the new season. 

I still watch but hardly ever see any posts here. Also looking forward to new season tonight.

2 hours ago, b4pjoe said:

I still watch but hardly ever see any posts here. Also looking forward to new season tonight.

My wife hates the show. She just doesn't get my enjoying it HAHA.

At least I'll have potentially one other fan to talk to on here!

• Like 1

I watch but I don’t enjoy seeing Fred’s constant shit show of a mining operation. It’s always one catastrophe after another with him and his crew. Is the Rick Ness show or no-show situation scripted for the dramatic effect? If he shows up, I hope he leaves the plastic blow up doll girlfriend home.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

Maybe Rick's plastic blow up doll girlfriend dumped him. 😆

Yeah I think Fred should have stuck around with Parker for a bit longer and maybe learned a little more. Everything Fred's crew touches turns to crap.

• Like 2
On 10/2/2022 at 10:38 AM, b4pjoe said:

Maybe Rick's plastic blow up doll girlfriend dumped him. 😆

Yeah I think Fred should have stuck around with Parker for a bit longer and maybe learned a little more. Everything Fred's crew touches turns to crap.

Rick's girlfriend leaving him was my first thought as well, maybe she wiped him out as well.

Fred still has tons to learn about gold mining, should have stayed with Parker for a lot longer.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Rick's girlfriend leaving him was my first thought as well, maybe she wiped him out as well.

Fred still has tons to learn about gold mining, should have stayed with Parker for a lot longer.

I do hope Fred and his crew have a better year. After watching his "In The Dirt" episode I am rooting for them. Sad story...

• Like 1

Oh boy, I wonder who was the one who is thought to be the first physical aggressor in the fight between Shawn and Andy. Looks like Andy came right up on Shawns body with his. That was wrong of Andy to keep trying to make Shawn fall smashing into the boat. Now I wonder if Shawns bad back is going to have added damage to it from that falling into the skiff. I really don’t like that this has happened. Who is in the right? Is that Shawns bought and paid for area in the Tom Codd claim? I knew that Chris is a tick that hangs on the ass tail of other miners, picking up their missed crumbs last season.... but he asked if it would be ok last season, and got permission. He seems to be losing it because of his extra mouths to feed. I didn’t like him siccing Andy back on Shawn either. 
I hope Shawn is ok

Edited to add: Whoops! Posted this in the wrong forum. I should have posted in Bering Sea Gold

Edited by SassyCat
Mistaken forum note
40 minutes ago, SassyCat said:

Oh boy, I wonder who was the one who is thought to be the first physical aggressor in the fight between Shawn and Andy. Looks like Andy came right up on Shawns body with his. That was wrong of Andy to keep trying to make Shawn fall smashing into the boat. Now I wonder if Shawns bad back is going to have added damage to it from that falling into the skiff. I really don’t like that this has happened. Who is in the right? Is that Shawns bought and paid for area in the Tom Codd claim? I knew that Chris is a tick that hangs on the ass tail of other miners, picking up their missed crumbs last season.... but he asked if it would be ok last season, and got permission. He seems to be losing it because of his extra mouths to feed. I didn’t like him siccing Andy back on Shawn either. 
I hope Shawn is ok

Edited to add: Whoops! Posted this in the wrong forum. I should have posted in Bering Sea Gold

Thanks for adding the last comment. I was going crazy trying to figure out who those people are. 😂

• Like 3

I will give this show credit for one thing.  They have shown mental health issues in a realistic and honest manner.

Rick Ness explained that his absence was due to depression, and that this is something that simply wasn't discussed when he was growing up.  I appreciate him talking about it as this might help others.

Fred Lewis also comments on his own issues.  He has said,  "I'm sorry you can't see the bruises on my brain just by looking at me.  That's not how brain damage works."

I'll continue poking fun and snarking on the characters, while appreciating the moments that the show really comes through and does the right thing.

• Like 2

Season finale: Fred's crew didn't make it to their first goal of 500 ounces nor did they meet the reduced goal of 200 ounces. Ended up with 157 ounces for the season and after the weigh Fred said at least it is enough for everyone to get their gold to take home but it is going to make it very tight for him. So buzz says "keep my gold, I believe in us" meaning for next year. Then one by one, some of them reluctantly looking, agree to give Fred their gold too. But in Fred's final appearance on Camera he clearly states he isn't sure he will come back next year. Just seemed odd considering everyone had just given him their share of the gold just so they could come back next year. I get it...it is expensive for all of that equipment. If he doesn't come back I hope he gives the gold back to his crew.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, b4pjoe said:

Season finale: Fred's crew didn't make it to their first goal of 500 ounces nor did they meet the reduced goal of 200 ounces. Ended up with 157 ounces for the season and after the weigh Fred said at least it is enough for everyone to get their gold to take home but it is going to make it very tight for him. So buzz says "keep my gold, I believe in us" meaning for next year. Then one by one, some of them reluctantly looking, agree to give Fred their gold too. But in Fred's final appearance on Camera he clearly states he isn't sure he will come back next year. Just seemed odd considering everyone had just given him their share of the gold just so they could come back next year. I get it...it is expensive for all of that equipment. If he doesn't come back I hope he gives the gold back to his crew.

I figured them giving the gold back was just for tv, their families need to eat as well.

15 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

I figured them giving the gold back was just for tv, their families need to eat as well.

Could be I guess but I assume these guys are given paychecks while working during the summer and the gold at the end is the bonus. Surely people would not go up there and work for months and not get paid anything.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, 4N6MAL said:

Why does Rick’s nose look flat? And he looks like he aged 10 years!

I wondered about that, too. Thought he might have been in a fight and someone broke his nose, then entertained the possibility that he did a lot of coke and his nose got messed up. I’m glad his friend is there to keep an eye on him, because you know there will be multiple depressing fuck-ups as the weeks go by.

• Love 2