Type keyword(s) to search

Gold Rush - General Discussion

• Start Topic

15 minutes ago, Rock knocker said:

Even if a jar is 50% hematite and pyrite by volume and 50% gold by volume, the density of gold is so high that it would make up about 85% by weight.

I really have no problem with them showing "dirty" weigh outs. My problem is with them showing obvious dirty filled pans, as show the scale reading and they announce they now have xxxx dollars worth of gold. Uh, no, you have that amount of raw gold. Actual dollar value can vary widely depending on where it was mined, anywhere from 70-90% pure, from what I read, is not uncommon. So as the Hoffmans celebrate as they get close to their 1000 ounce goal, they may actually be approaching 700 ounces of gold.

• Love 3

The season is over.

I missed the start of the fight, but if Dave started it then he should have been allowed to resign, and resign pronto.

If the other guy started it, then he should have been fired, and not asked to come back in a teary scene at the diner.  Todd knows this, he's a leader.

Wow...didn't know Dave was so feisty.  ;)

Assuming any of that wasn't scripted (a huge assumption on these sort of shows), I put more of the blame on Dave Turin.  I have no idea who actually started it.  Both of them seem to have differing accounts of it.  But after things were someone diffused, Dave was the one who jumped back into the fray and tried to get in a sucker punch or two.  Not cool. 

Though he did man up and apologize to everybody.   So there's that.   My unintentional funny moment was when they were coming out of that diner, the cameraman/producer/whomever asked Freddy if he wanted to say anything.  Freddy just deadpanned, "No." and kept on walking.  Heh.

Probably Dave should have left if this thing was halfway on the level.  Though if he did leave, poor Toad will be without his equal partner in the operation!  (a fact conveniently omitted for this season, apparently).  

Yeah, Toad is quite the leader.  About all I ever see him doing is occasionally drive the bulldozer and bark out orders on his little walkie talkie thing.  Oh and make bad decisions.   He's quite good at that.  :)

And I don't see how a 1000 ounces even comes close to making up their running costs for this disaster of a season. 

Glad to see Parker make it over 4K though.  Good for him.

1 hour ago, Rock knocker said:

He thinks he plays a leader on TV.  

He sits in his trailer and masturbates to the mere notion he's a leader ...

That's if he could even find his teeny weenie ...

I want my gem hunting shows to come back, so Freddy can have a redemption arc.

• Love 3

Tony ended up getting a premium on about 150 oz (everything over 3K on the main cut).  He got nearly 200 oz from the Indian River (Rick) cut.  Of course, this assumes the truth of Disco narrations. 

Will Parker try to come back to that creek bed?  Will Tony force him to fully play out that secondary Scribner cut which was a money loser?  There can't be much left at Indian River.  Parker's protestations that he did not understand Tony's leasing logic demeaned himself.  Tony had very rich ground that he, or anyone, could come in and mine.  so, a premium will be paid for those riches.  Indian River was a much tougher proposition, so he incentivized Parker to take on that risk.    

Parker's Excellent Adventure looks boring and ridiculous.  

This was a lousy season all around.   I doubt there will be another.  

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

It looks OK for an episode or two, doing what the old timers did.

Because of the mining schedule they had to make the run after mining shut down.  But in reality, what they are going to be doing, including running the river, is probably done by hundreds or thousands every summer.  The Chilkoot portion is so popular there are limits during the summer

7 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I would hope Gold Rush and Bering Sea Gold are finished.

• Love 1

Dave got a black-eye from the encounter.  However, the next day when they went to check out the frozen lake that feeds the operation, it was gone.  All those guys getting mushy and emotional made me think they were mining Brokeback Mountain.  Plus they talk about guys going home with gold in their pocket.  I would think that most of them work for wages.  I do really like the guy who (supposedly) made the road alone by bulldozing all night.  Why didn't they do that in the beginning and just have one wash plant going for both operations?

Tonys second dredge is stuck.  Gosh, he could have gotten a helicopter and airlifted the bucket line and the important parts out a long time ago.  He is tearing most of the barge apart anyway, why not just reconstruct the bargey part and insert the mechanical stuff?  Plus they lost a week after they parked the 1st dredge, then came back and started those operations again to get 200 ounces.  If they would have used that week then they could have more than doubled that.

Parker got his 4000 ounces. Had to push pay to the plant with a bulldozer, which increased fuel costs, seems a bit counterproductive to the goal of mining the gold with out going over, which he did, so he ended up having to pay increased royalties on 200 ounces by burning more fuel to get it, just to beat the 4k goal.  Is he going to get his own land now?  

Still not sure about the actual profits these operations turn.  I will assume the Hoffman operation is a money loser (look at how dirty their water is, if you see shots of the operation it looks contrived like it is run for an hour while they film).  Parker had a nice pile of gold (although I would think for security purposes you would want to cart it into town at regular intervals to pay your bills.  Tony was dead set on getting 2000 ounces (although he would have been better to use the time to clear the ground for next years operations, he said that is what he did in a previous season)

I do hope the show comes back next year.  They seem to have a good fan base and ratings.

• Love 1

I personally don't buy the fight.

If you have watched a lot of reality TV, I am sure you have seen this before. Where a fight happens and they have nothing but super shaky footage that looks like it was taken during a 7.2 earthquake that doesn't show a single punch thrown. Despite the fact modern cameras have great image stabilization.

And then the ridiculous restaurant scene where Todd insisted they not be filmed! So they sit next to the window where the camera can zoom in on the "black eye" and then hey, why take our mics off when we don't want to be filmed?

So anyone think we got more than about 20 minutes of ACTUAL gold mining this season, TOTAL? Sure didn't seem like it...

This may be the last year I watch this. And it is a shame, I used to look forward to this show so much.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Medicine Crow said:

The "trick" is to ff through anything Hoffman!!!

Tried that, but more and more end up zipping through Beets and Parker, too. At least with a two hour finale I should get 45 minutes to watch. I also used to look forward to the show, now I record it and half the time delete it sight unseen. Haven't watched it, yet.

Edited by SRTouch
Spelling
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, Jenkins said:

So anyone think we got more than about 20 minutes of ACTUAL gold mining this season, TOTAL? Sure didn't seem like it...

So, anyone think we got more than 20 minutes of actual gold mining EVER - in all these seasons?

----------

Yupp - I didn't think so.

• Love 3

With Buzzard Equipment and Mt. Hood Rock paying the royalties for their product placement, they don't need viewers.

Do you think Toad is writing all the storylines for his forlorn crew?  The way he put Dozer Dave and the other fellow back together at the diner, his future is really in diplomacy in Washington DC. 

How did Freddy Dodge ever get mixed up in this?  TV must pay more than being a miner. 

Edited by Liberty
  • Love 4
On 3/11/2017 at 0:17 PM, Jenkins said:

This may be the last year I watch this. And it is a shame, I used to look forward to this show so much.

On 3/11/2017 at 2:17 PM, SRTouch said:

At least with a two hour finale I should get 45 minutes to watch. I also used to look forward to the show, now I record it and half the time delete it sight unseen. Haven't watched it, yet.

The truth is, half the time I watch the show so that I can come on here and make fun of it with all of you!

• Love 3
On 3/11/2017 at 4:50 AM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Tony ended up getting a premium on about 150 oz (everything over 3K on the main cut).  He got nearly 200 oz from the Indian River (Rick) cut.  Of course, this assumes the truth of Disco narrations. 

Will Parker try to come back to that creek bed?  Will Tony force him to fully play out that secondary Scribner cut which was a money loser?  There can't be much left at Indian River.  Parker's protestations that he did not understand Tony's leasing logic demeaned himself.  Tony had very rich ground that he, or anyone, could come in and mine.  so, a premium will be paid for those riches.  Indian River was a much tougher proposition, so he incentivized Parker to take on that risk.    

Barring any world- ending development, Gold Rush will be back. It was almost always the # 1 cable show on Friday night, it got beat by the baseball playoffs once or twice, but otherwise, it led in the ratings. Bering Sea Gold, which I happen to like better, was down the list a bit, but it's probably good enough to get renewed. Unless all the players want Big Bang money, then I think not !

• Love 1
8 hours ago, willco said:

Barring any world- ending development, Gold Rush will be back. It was almost always the # 1 cable show on Friday night, it got beat by the baseball playoffs once or twice, but otherwise, it led in the ratings. Bering Sea Gold, which I happen to like better, was down the list a bit, but it's probably good enough to get renewed.

And that's really what it's all about-- ratings.

I hope it does get renewed, because when life gets a little hectic or stressful, then you can take a break by watching the show and having a laugh.

• Love 2

Well that's the end of Wolfman Jack, Turd, Turnip Beets and Co for another season. I thought the Beets spoilt it this year, apart from Monica shame she will turn into Minni. Turd and woffman are blatant thieves or DC is paying for props now as well. I need so so, well one turns up the next day or is there same day. UPS must be well happy. Parker is OK mostly, I would love to see him go to Colorado and mine 3000 oz. The Huffingmans would at last have to give him credit. I just hope next year isn't so scripted.

• Love 1
On 11/03/2017 at 5:00 PM, Rock knocker said:

It looks OK for an episode or two, doing what the old timers did.

Because of the mining schedule they had to make the run after mining shut down.  But in reality, what they are going to be doing, including running the river, is probably done by hundreds or thousands every summer.  The Chilkoot portion is so popular there are limits during the summer

I would hope Gold Rush and Bering Sea Gold are finished.

The BBC have beaten them to it and already shown "Operation Gold Rush" about how the old timers use to do it

It was nice to see more of Ashley.  She seems to be a good gal.

One thing that is often mentioned in other settings is how much the Disco crew dislikes Parker.   I say good on Parker for mocking them and their silly production elements.   He seems little different than the older Deadliest Catch captains who didn't much take to their ways and intrusions.  

It's been a good while since we had any real governmental interference arcs.  Canada is famous for such.  The land use permit is absurd, but I have no doubt it is a legal requirement.  In perfect seriousness, I do wonder how the Canadian version of OSHA does not involve itself more, given the ample evidence of genuine danger and injury.

Tony seems assured of another season.  Does Parker have any real options?  He can't possibly have any which pay as well as the Disco-subsidized mining of Beets' claims.  

• Love 3

Parker’s Trail, which will be a 3-part docu-series, will follow the 22-year-old and his small team (foreman Rick Ness, wilderness guide Karla Ann, who once worked with Schnabel as a rock truck driver; and cameramen James Levelle, who has known Schnabel for years) as they set out to tackle the great Alaskan wilderness as they follow in the footsteps of former gold miners.

Premiers March 31st on Discovery.

I hope Dave stays retired.  That fight sure seemed weird, when Dave did his big running  jump, it wasn't on Trey but on the back of Toad.  Maybe this was some big Homeland'esque plot for the two of them to really off the fat one.

• Love 3
On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 0:08 AM, brgjoe said:

About all I ever see him doing is occasionally drive the bulldozer and bark out orders on his little walkie talkie thing.  Oh and make bad decisions.   He's quite good at that.  :)

And say "frick"

:D

• Love 2

I'm already tired of Parker, his ego and his stomping hissy fits.  He needs another 30 years or so under his belt before he's big enough for his britches.

Also, this "for the sake of historical accuracy" schtick has to go.  Other than the route (which I highly doubt had handy railways and locks back in the day);  they have modern clothing, gear, implements and weapons.

At least the scenery is pretty.

• Love 3

Not to mention they stayed in a hotel, got drunk and ate pizza in this last episode. That for me killed any "historical accuracy".

The scenery is why I watch just about any of the Alaskan shows.

Parker still has a LOT of growing up to do...

• Love 3

It seems to me that Disco has been more of a curse than a blessing for Big Little Parker.  It has afforded him the luxury of gold mining beyond his means, but has also contributed to his massive ago and puerile temperament.  Had he just continued learning from his family without cameras and notoriety, he might have achieved some semblance of manliness and decency much earlier in life.  

• Love 5

So I seen a promo for the new season while watching Deadliest Catch. I'm sure it's all manufactured drama but damn why does Todd have such a hard on for Parker. It just looks bad. Mr. Prays alot wanting to beat a kid half his age. Yes Parker is a dick head but he was actually taught how to mine where Todd seems to be on a very poor get rich quick scheme. It just seems pathetic. Especially when the only gold Todd can find seems to be planted by disco. If it was 2 miners on equal footing the rivalry would work but a 5 year old with his finger up his nose will find gold before Todd. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, notcreative enough said:

Todd seems to be on a very poor get rich quick scheme

I think he's on a very good get rich quick scheme.  He's a reality TV show "star".  He does little of the physical work himself, I assume he's getting paid quite well by Discovery and any actual gold they find is just gravy, so to speak.

• Love 6

No takers this season?

I wasn't impressed with the hour long preshow. A couple of good questions, but that game was a stupid waste of time.

It'll be interesting to see how things pan (haha) out for Parker and his new lease. 

I hope this thread doesn't die. I like the show and seeing everyone's comments.

• Love 3
On 10/18/2017 at 2:01 PM, clod said:

they immediately started the "todd vs parker" thing again, and I am tired of that stuff.

Then tonite they had a one-hour show all about Dozer Dave.  And he ended the show talking about how he wants to start mining with his family.  So expect another mining outfit to make an appearance on the show with all the attendant drama of Dave versus Todd.

• Love 2
On 8/30/2017 at 3:19 PM, notcreative enough said:

So I seen a promo for the new season while watching Deadliest Catch. I'm sure it's all manufactured drama but damn why does Todd have such a hard on for Parker. It just looks bad. Mr. Prays alot wanting to beat a kid half his age.

It was more enjoyable to watch the earlier seasons, when there were some friendly rivalries.

Do you remember when Tony was caravaning his dredge to his new location, and Parker caught wind of it?  He and a buddy went to watch the convoy go by and were laughing and having fun:

"It looks like he's going to an antique show!"

That good-natured ribbing is more fun to me than the manufactured competitions.

• Love 4

If any of these guys had to pay the actual costs, none of this would work.  I hated how we are supposed to believe that Tony and his wife had not already made the decision to update the first dredge.  Like that conversation with his son was not a replay of talks from months earlier.

I thought it was fun when Doumit was blushing when they kidded him about crushing on Ashlee.  Can't say as I blame him.  :)

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

If any of these guys had to pay the actual costs, none of this would work.

Exaclty!  That's why it was so annoying when starting every season, Todd would announce that he was totally broke and every season was a "make or break" season.  As if he weren't getting paid by Discovery.

9 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I hated how we are supposed to believe that Tony and his wife had not already made the decision to update the first dredge.  Like that conversation with his son was not a replay of talks from months earlier.

I enjoy watching how the dredge works much more than I enjoy the drama around it.

• Love 3

Pretty sad to see Tony sell out last night.   They couldn't call it a pickup, they had to use the word "Tundra" over and over, as the camera zoomed in on the Toyota Tundra emblem.

My heart broke to watch the Beets family sell out as Monica read her script:  "No problem for this thing!"  As the Tundra, provided by the salesman at Toyota, pulled the semi up the hill.

Say it ain't so, Monica.   Just say it ain't so. . . 

• Love 2

Yes - my husband and I watch every episode. 

Todd has just become a joke to us. I'm beginning to dislike Parker and that surprises me. He used to be my favorite ... not any more. I'm liking Tony Beets more and more.

• Love 3

They are trying really hard to create drama between Rick and Parker in the promos. When he went to see his sick mom, they spun it as him leaving because of Parker. Not sure what the big secret Rick kept from Parker is for the next episode. But I’m skeptical that it’s anything huge. It might be, but I kind of doubt it. 

Tony Beets has had to eat some humble pie with this whole second dredge thing. I think it’s made him more human seeming to viewers. Plus I like getting to see their family interactions. They seem to genuinely care about each other. 

The Hoffmans are a mess. And Hunter going off on Juan seriously pissed me off. Hunter has cost them so much money this season. He’s ridiculous. 

• Love 4

I agree with everything on the last couple of posts.

Parker used to be my favorite but since Grandpa passed he has become a first class a$$.

The whole Hoffman crew is a joke. Let's pray we get more gold and clang our helmets together so God will bless this "Holy Roller".

Right now the Beets crew are my favorite. The only time you see Minnie smile is after a cleanup. LOL

My DH and I count the times they yell "Shut it down!!" each episode. Could be a good drinking game.

• Love 4
On 1/30/2018 at 4:27 PM, Meghzie said:

Anyone still watch??

I didn’t think I could dislike anyone as much as Todd... then came Hunter...

Todd is hard enough to like, but with Hunter you add in that sense of entitlement and it gets much worse.

On 1/31/2018 at 9:13 AM, margol29 said:

My DH and I count the times they yell "Shut it down!!" each episode. Could be a good drinking game

Good thing you don't drink every time you hear them say, "frick".  You'd be drunk by the first commercial.

• Love 5
On 2/1/2018 at 12:34 PM, TheLastKidPicked said:

Todd is hard enough to like, but with Hunter you add in that sense of entitlement and it gets much worse.

Good thing you don't drink every time you hear them say, "frick".  You'd be drunk by the first commercial.

Yes, I suppose Hunter is the answer to a young Parker from the early days - but we knew Parker had Gene for mining, and Grandpa and the parents coming  to the mine and reining him in.. Remember when Parker had his temper tantrum with the Big Nugget crew when he was first put in charge and Grandpa was there telling him he can't treat his crew like that.. who did Hunter have when he went off on Juan? - Todd!?! (well, Freddy, but Freddy is off in charge of his own operation)... nah, rather have Dave back.

And when did Todd become a miner - for years we never even saw him operating equipment, all he did was walk around and make unreasonable demands - oh, and go buy the biggest and best equipment every year - which turned out good for everybody else since they could buy his stuff when he went shopping the next year.... had to laugh when the Hoffmans are finally breaking even - so Todd goes out and buys another new trommel - hope it does better than his first one... ah, finally out of the red - what's this?! Todd just went and put us a few more hundred grand in the hole. Oh, and the cost of the trommel isn't the only cost, it will also cost many thousands (the other equipment (more rock trucks, excavators, dozers etc) fuel and labor needed to actually put pay into the wash plant) in operating costs for that third operation. Wasn't Juan just complaining that there was already more maintenance needed than he could had time to do?

oh, and we're to believe that Todd, who should have gone bankrupt several times with his monstrous operating costs resulting in minimal (or nonexistent) gold is the financial backer the Dakota Boys turn to for their new show

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 4

I do t know why Freddie stays with them. He may not have cancer, but he looks sick. :(

Todd is finally forced to do a little physical work, and is pissed about it. He now has 3 washplants, when he only needs 2, and is in the hole again. Seriously, between losing the money to Parker, and the amount that Hunter’s form cost them, his crew isn’t going to get paid. 

• Love 2

No way in Hades would Rick make a move like he did to the opposite side of the berm without first running it past Parker.  What I totally do not get is how Parker can get away with abandoning the admittedly weak paydirt for the more lucrative area without having to go back at some point.   Remember how Tony came back to check to make sure Parker had truly gone through an entirety of a given cut?  We've seen it at least two times thus far.  

I also wonder about Parker's skeleton crew being able to develop the new cut while continuing to operate TWO sluices.  It sure looked to me that when they were running up against Parker's move of the sluice that there were at least four big machines going at it AND the other sluice was being fed.  How?  They do not have the numbers to do that, afaik.  

• Love 2