Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
saoirse

Gold Rush

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Mrs. P. said:

So what do we think the big, earth-shattering news next week is going to be? Maybe Dave is coming back to run his own mining operation?

Another season coming to see a close, and yet another earth shaking announcement coming. With all the build up this episode about Parker vs Tony, I wonder if just maybe Parker will be mining for the new owner (at long last). OTOH, we've received that earth shaking announcement several times. Hmmmm, be nice if a "real" miner came back - Dave would be welcome, even though he wasn't really a gold miner before the show, at least he wasn't a novice. IIRC, he first appeared when the Hoffmans couldn't figure out how to set up their washplant. Actually, thinking about it, Parker may have first appeared when Grandpa John sent him over to help when they had their plumbing ass backwards on their plant - smart ass high school kid laughed at the amateur crew. Someone I'd love to see return would be Gene. Problem with Gene was that he wanted to mine, not play TV star - so don't see him returning, but after seeing him in reruns this week wonder what he's doing.

Edited by SRTouch
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, Mrs. P. said:

So what do we think the big, earth-shattering news next week is going to be?

Maybe Todd is going to eat a low calorie salad.

14 hours ago, SRTouch said:

With all the build up this episode about Parker vs Tony, I wonder if just maybe Parker will be mining for the new owner (at long last).

I think you are on to something.   Parker is leasing land surrounded by Tony, and even says, "I hope Tony's not around" as he cuts across Tony's land to get to the new claim.

All Tony needs to do is park a bulldozer in the middle of the road and say, "You can't come across my land" and Parker is finished before he even gets started.

Edited by TheLastKidPicked
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, TheLastKidPicked said:

Maybe Todd is going to eat a low calorie salad.

A sure sign of The Apocalypse.  ;-)

I wouldn't mind seeing the Hoffman crew Raptured just as they hit the Motherlode.  The image of Todd frickin his way to the pearly gates tickles me.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I would love to see a Dave/Gene run mine. That thing would run efficiently!

I feel like they keep building up to Rick leaving or having his own mine. 

In reality, it’s probably just the conclusion of the bet or something totally obvious. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

The big news is that Todd is leaving "Gold Rush". He is working on starting a family-oriented media company, and he wants to focus on his singing career.  He seriously said that.

i will not miss him.  ?

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, TattooFan said:

The big news is that Todd is leaving "Gold Rush". He is working on starting a family-oriented media company, and he wants to focus on his singing career.  He seriously said that.

i will not miss him.  ?

LOLOLOL!!!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I guess he has finally reached the point where he can't waste any more money. He didn't find much gold this season and still went out and bought a huge new trommel. I never could figure out how he kept going while continuously losing big money.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

What the frick!?  He's leaving!?  <insert Herman Munster's Darn, Darn, Darn, DARN! here>

Yeah, there is no way he was making money or even breaking even without the Discovery Channel folks (and their production company) footing the bill.  I mean, with all those workers, equipment, land use, etc., I bet he would be deep in the hole otherwise.

Did Todd pay off the bet with Parker yet?  Or perhaps they are waiting for the final episode of the season to do that.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Then Todd spent a few grand flying into "Gold Rush: White Water" to check on his investment by yelling, threatening and blustering.  Because his investment is so important to him.   Lets hope Todd leaving is the demise of this entire franchise; Gold Rush, White Water and Bearing Sea Gold.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Jeanne222 said:

Parker's an ugly little critter and mean as hell.  How'd he get that cute little blonde

 

As portrayed by the show, he is often obsessive and prone to temper tantrums when things aren't going his way. While there have been many times I've questioned his management style (or lack), I've almost always leaned towards believing that being exagerrated for TV. I've always appreciated his work ethic. (Though for a while viewers questioned why he wasn't shown working on the mine, I always figured there were MANY things taken up with the logistics of running a multimillion dollar operation that we weren't seeing.) And family values... not just with Grandpa John, but with his parents. Even though it hurt operations, there was never a question when Rick needed to leave when his mother was ailing. So, even though he's something of a slob, sometimes lacking in personal hygiene, and has proven more than once to be a terrible housekeeper....

at least... 

He picks out cute puppies ?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/17/2018 at 7:08 PM, Jeanne222 said:

Parker's an ugly little critter and mean as hell.  How'd he get that cute little blonde?

Gold, and a reality tv show...

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/17/2018 at 6:53 PM, SRTouch said:

As portrayed by the show, he is often obsessive and prone to temper tantrums when things aren't going his way. While there have been many times I've questioned his management style (or lack), I've almost always leaned towards believing that being exagerrated for TV.

One comment from Parker that was interesting, while he was cutting across Tony's road:

"If I'm going to get punched out, it might as well be on camera".

Nice to see him admit that a man 3 times his age could still take him in a fight.  I bet Tony could still hold his own in a bar room brawl.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, TheLastKidPicked said:

One comment from Parker that was interesting, while he was cutting across Tony's road:

"If I'm going to get punched out, it might as well be on camera".

Nice to see him admit that a man 3 times his age could still take him in a fight.  I bet Tony could still hold his own in a bar room brawl.

I would not mess with Tony. That man is fierce. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, Meghzie said:

I would not mess with Tony. That man is fierce.

You are right about that!  But Tony is also a practical person.  When Parker was going to pull his equipment from the lease because the royalties were going from 20% to 25% Tony realized he wanted that money coming in so he offered a compromise to Parker:

"If you take the gold over 3,000 ounces from the one claim, just apply it to your second claim (which was well under 3,000 ounces).  That way, you can still pay the 20%.

Now, Tony was not playing Santa Clause here.  He is smart enough to know that 20% of something is better than 25% of nothing.

And I enjoy the times that they are comfortable enough to joke around.

TONY:  Some things get better with age, like me.

PARKER:  Then I'd hate to meet you 30 years ago!

Edited by TheLastKidPicked
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, TheLastKidPicked said:

You are right about that!  But Tony is also a practical person.  When Parker was going to pull his equipment from the lease because the royalties were going from 20% to 25% Tony realized he wanted that money coming in so he offered a compromise to Parker:

"If you take the gold over 3,000 ounces from the one claim, just apply it to your second claim (which was well under 3,000 ounces).  That way, you can still pay the 20%.

Now, Tony was not playing Santa Clause here.  He is smart enough to know that 20% of something is better than 25% of nothing.

And I enjoy the times that they are comfortable enough to joke around.

TONY:  Some things get better with age, like me.

PARKER:  Then I'd hate to meet you 30 years ago!

I have a lot of respect for how Tony has managed to build so much from the ground up. And he’s raised hard working, dedicated children. 

I love that they joke around! I liked him reassuring Parker that it would not have worked if they had met 30 years ago! Haha. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, Meghzie said:

I have a lot of respect for how Tony has managed to build so much from the ground up. And he’s raised hard working, dedicated children. 

I love that they joke around! I liked him reassuring Parker that it would not have worked if they had met 30 years ago! Haha. 

Also, while Tony is often an ass to Parker, he's also something of an ass to his sons... IIRC he has said as much that without Minnie and Monica moderating, he and his sons would be continually at odds

Oh, and how Tony would fare in a fight.... geez, just look at his wrists and forearms - dude may turn out to be a terrible fighter, but he is strong! Would NOT want to wrestle him!

Edited by SRTouch
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, SRTouch said:

Also, while Tony is often an ass to Parker, he's also something of an ass to his sons... IIRC he has said as much that without Minnie and Monica moderating, he and his sons would be continually at odds

Oh, and on how Tony would fare in a fight.... geez, just look at his wrists and forearms - dude may turn put to be a terrible fighter, but he is strong! 

He is definitely an ass. I would not work for him. When Monica missed the 200+ ounces of gold in her “finished” cut, my husband and I both commented on how anyone else would have been skewered for that. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, SRTouch said:

Also, while Tony is often an ass to Parker, he's also something of an ass to his sons... IIRC he has said as much that without Minnie and Monica moderating, he and his sons would be continually at odds

We see this in family owned companies from time to time.

Tony, whether is is guilt from his father's accident or what, has this overwhelming drive.  He'll work as hard as he has to and make sure the job gets done no matter what.  But his employees will sometimes say,  "That's fine for HIM, but we like having a day off once in a while.  We like going to our kid's soccer games".  And people like Tony just cannot fathom such an attitude.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

So, Toad is leaving to pursue his "singing career" and "production company."  Fairly certain both endeavors will wind up on some obscure religious channel, as long as they drag out Hoffman Sr. to nasal his way through yet another prayer.

Would anyone care to comment about the 100 oz "wager" he had with Parker?

Disco must REALLY need a loss for tax purposes ...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Todd: our goal was to put gold in our guy’s pockets, and we did that.

 

So 64 more ounces to breakeven. Does that include the bet? Maybe the guys are leaving with some filming money, but I don’t think they’ve gotten much gold over the years. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Parker is still such an entitled little ass.  He thinks he can just use Tony's pond - without even asking, mind you - and then gets all pissy when Tony does something on his own land, because it inconveniences Parker?  If I were Tony, I'd fuck with him, too - maybe change Parker's claim access to a toll road.  ;-)

Good thing this is all just for the cameras.

Please don't tell me that there will be a Hoffman Jr. crew next season ...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I used to be into these gold shows but it just makes me sick watching how they tear up the environment -its not worth it.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

This show is doomed without Todd Hoffman.  Watching him, and his team of lazy welfare addicts, FAIL miserably every year was TV "gold"...  car crash eye candy. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5633034

Now we're left with the relatively likeable Parker and Rick...  Zzzzzzzz...  and that whole disgusting Beets family.

Edited by Dr. Acula
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Was about to ask if anyone was looking forward to watching it this season.  Say what you want about Toad and his boys, they were easy to hate-watch much of the time.

So now it looks like they are going to set up Rick with his own team.  Personally I wish they'd bring back Dozer Dave.   He was the one guy who actually seemed competent on this show.  But I guess we can't have competence thrown into this project.  ;)

Is Gene still with Tony?  Or did he walk?  I know I couldn't last 5 minutes working with Tony.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I don't watch this show, don't intend to start, but I see ads for it when I watch Josh Gates do just about anything on Discovery. There's an ad currently running, that I want to reach through my tv screen and punch some idiot out. Looks like a feed/water trough on a trailer being pulled somewhere, it's full of water and some clueless fool is in the water (hot, I assume) and says "bring on the ladies." Dude, have you not gotten the message that that is not going to win you favor with "the ladies?" Just more macho, asshole stupidity.

Share this post


Link to post

Oh, Parker - ever the whiny entitled little bitch, aside from your early success.  You seem to think Tony should cut you slack and give you something you didn't ask for in advance, and to ignore the CONTRACTS you signed, because you're a special snowflake?  You were the moron who bought/leased land you could not access or mine without using Tony's roads and Tony's water.  Did you really think Disco would save you?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/11/2018 at 12:41 AM, brgjoe said:

Is Gene still with Tony?  Or did he walk?  I know I couldn't last 5 minutes working with Tony.

I don't know how anyone can work with him the way he talks to his crew. I know I wouldn't put up with it either. Was also wondering about Gene.

 

7 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Oh, Parker - ever the whiny entitled little bitch, aside from your early success.  You seem to think Tony should cut you slack and give you something you didn't ask for in advance, and to ignore the CONTRACTS you signed, because you're a special snowflake?  You were the moron who bought/leased land you could not access or mine without using Tony's roads and Tony's water.  Did you really think Disco would save you?

Haha. Watching Tony Beets piss off Parker is my favorite part of the show. I thought he would cry on the way to his folks house. I was hoping he would send his mom to talk to Tony. That would've been hilarious.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/17/2018 at 6:44 PM, friendperidot said:

I don't watch this show, don't intend to start, but I see ads for it when I watch Josh Gates do just about anything on Discovery. There's an ad currently running, that I want to reach through my tv screen and punch some idiot out. Looks like a feed/water trough on a trailer being pulled somewhere, it's full of water and some clueless fool is in the water (hot, I assume) and says "bring on the ladies." Dude, have you not gotten the message that that is not going to win you favor with "the ladies?" Just more macho, asshole stupidity.

Different show.  That's the "homesteaders" on Alaska:  The Last Frontier. 

This is obnoxious people gold mining in Yukon Territory, Canada.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, friendperidot said:

oh, sorry, I really don't pay much attention. I know there were ads about the same time for the Alaska gold show. But it still annoys me.

Big time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, friendperidot said:

oh, sorry, I really don't pay much attention. I know there were ads about the same time for the Alaska gold show. But it still annoys me.

Ah, well, Alaska Gold Rush actually only showed mining in Alaska for - what - 1 year. Oh, wait, the Hoffman crew, which began the series as the featured miners, left for the Yukon, but the young whippersnapper, Parker, took over and ran Grandpa John's Big Nugget mine and the Dakota boys bought out the Hoffman lease, so I guess there were a couple seasons of Alaska mining.  Then Dakota boys hit the bottom of the Glory Hole and Parker graduated high school and moved to the Yukon, so the show dropped "Alaska" from the name. 

Edited by SRTouch
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

It dropped Alaska from the title after the first year.  It still, however, never mentions that the crews are in Canada, instead defaulting to "Yukon" which presumably the viewers won't know isn't in the US.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/28/2018 at 1:41 PM, xls said:

I used to be into these gold shows but it just makes me sick watching how they tear up the environment -its not worth it.

I'm fairly certain land reclamation by law is part of the conditions of getting land to mine. Nature abhors a vacuum and bare dirt gets covered in green fairly quick

Edited by 100Proof

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, 100Proof said:

I'm fairly certain land reclamation by law is part of the conditions of getting land to mine. Nature abhors a vacuum and bare dirt gets covered in green fairly quick

Gold mining has always been an environmental disaster - tour the California gold rush area and you can still see scars on the land. Thankfully today's laws limit the damage. My guess is that you have to present a reclamation plan with the mining permit application (but, then the show just glosses over the whole permit question.) That said, there are some believable rumors of times when laws have been ignored for the sake of TV drama. Or, laws obeyed, but filming slanted to create drama. Course, that isn't true just with Gold Rush. 

Reclamation has been addressed a couple times on the show - and, if you google "gold rush mines reclamation" you'll see Parker, Tony, and Dave Turrin all have their own video clips which deal with reclamation. I have a feeling both Canadian and US laws have a large impact on their reclamation efforts. Not so sure about the Hoffman South Americanot mine - when Parker visited on during his off season show the site looked overgrown not reclaimed. (Course, the amount of gold they actually mined that season didn't even pay for the gas of the motorcycle Jack fell off of when his beard turned red 😄.)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/24/2018 at 11:16 AM, SRTouch said:

But, then the show just glosses over the whole permit question.  That said, there are some believable rumors of times when laws have been ignored for the sake of TV drama. Or, laws obeyed, but filming slanted to create drama. Course, that isn't true just with Gold Rush.

And this is another area where the show is missing an opportunity.  Many viewers would be interested to know the permitting process and the safety inspections that the miners go through.

I really enjoyed when the watching how Tony Beets did the stability test on his tug boat.  Even with all of the high tech gadgets--  "We hang a string over this bucket, and see how far the string moves when we roll the weight over there."

Sometimes, the old ways are the most reliable.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Who couldn't guess something was going to happen when Parker test (thought it was then) drove those boats? Looked super dangerous. Sucks for Mitch, Parker better give him a big bonus. I'm sure he will since he feels terrible about it. Hopefully next season Rick gets better ground, his guys all seem hardworking and want to learn.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, yanksno1 said:

Who couldn't guess something was going to happen when Parker test (thought it was then) drove those boats? Looked super dangerous. Sucks for Mitch, Parker better give him a big bonus. I'm sure he will since he feels terrible about it. Hopefully next season Rick gets better ground, his guys all seem hardworking and want to learn.

Yes, Parker has demonstrated that he is a reckless driver on land and on water.  Thank goodness he doesn't fly planes, too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Yes, Parker has demonstrated that he is a reckless driver on land and on water.  Thank goodness he doesn't fly planes, too.

And jet skis - wasn't he the one who crashed a jet ski during (I think) a mid-season bash a few years back

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I understand that this might not be good for drama or ratings, but the miners in general are much more likeable this season.

Especially the group of buddies who each put their lives on hold to try and mine for a year.  I'm not sure if Discovery is paying them or not, but they seem to care about the mining aspect of it more than the drama.

Share this post


Link to post

I can't figure out how Rick has worked so closely with Parker for all of these years and has almost no concept of how to run a mine.  I get that he'd have stuff he'd need to learn, but it's like all of a sudden, despite the years he's basically been the person who has kept the machinery running, managed the people and overseen everything for Parker, he has forgotten everything and has absolutely no idea what sort of equipment he will need to operate a mine, no idea how to run or maintain it and no clue how to keep people working.  

I'm also puzzled about the timing of Monica's wedding.  If I was part of a family that had a family business, like, say we were farmers, I wouldn't plan my wedding in the middle of the harvest.  Why get married in the middle of gold season?   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/16/2018 at 10:22 PM, TattooFan said:

The big news is that Todd is leaving "Gold Rush". He is working on starting a family-oriented media company, and he wants to focus on his singing career.  He seriously said that.

i will not miss him.  ?

I watched again after ages and wondered what happened to the Hoffman's. Todd was funny AF on the tell-alls though!

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×