Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: Hate Is Just A Four Letter Word

• Start Topic

Good lord, those might have easily been the funniest comments on a Visual Aids recap thus far.  Well done!

I remember missing this episode when it was originally on and only seeing bits and pieces of it afterwards.  Looks like I didn't miss much except for Brandon's GIANT pants!  It's hilarious how they manage to show just how tiny in stature Jason Priestly is.

• Love 2

...Fuck. Fine, so meanwhile, Donna is wearing the brown long-sleeved polo my brother had on in his pre-K class picture in 1981, a sailor-styled napkin skort, nurse trouser socks, and a centurion helmet made out of her own hair. Why.

This. Is the best caption for a Donna pic in all of history. Also my brother had this shirt in red. In that exact size. 

I always have to get out the laptop and follow along with the visual aids while listening to the podcast. Those are the mornings I don't get out the door on time.

Does Brandon even WANT to be president? I thought he had these grandiose thoughts of affecting the future of the university, blah blah Joshcakes, but he won't express an opinion on a controversial topic? He's the worst.

Does Hulu not have the next episode? The next one I see listed is #13, "Up in Flames." 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, StatMom said:

Does Brandon even WANT to be president? I thought he had these grandiose thoughts of affecting the future of the university, blah blah Joshcakes, but he won't express an opinion on a controversial topic? He's the worst.

Does Hulu not have the next episode? The next one I see listed is #13, "Up in Flames." 

The next episode isn't on Hulu because of music rights. Here's the description of the episode with spoiler tags because... I don't know. Just being safe I guess:

Jim gets Brandon tickets to the Rolling Stones' Rose Bowl concert,

Spoiler

but a hearing to determine the legality of his presidency is moved to the night of the concert. Jesse argues that Brandon is already the legitimate president, as he has been calling senate meetings to order; the challenge to the presidency is denied. Brandon takes Andrea to the concert. Kelly gets backstage access through the magazine, while braggart Steve has trouble getting in at all after a hippie steals his wallet. Ray and Donna work as vendors and see the show free of charge. David and Clare go to the concert even though they claim to hate the group, but have to turn to a scalper when Mel lets them down. 

• Love 1

I am positive I have never seen this episode, I wonder if it gets taken out of rotation in syndication because it is so embarrassing. But lol at the Bill Cosby reference, and also Ray saying he doesn't even like Claire and David. What a shame the show took Ray in the direction they did, he could have really been a hero.

• Love 2

Jesse: "everybody has a right to their opinion" or whatever the line is. Yeah. Everybody has a right to deny Holocaust ever happened? Shut up Jesse. Kelly: "their little demonstration". Because your photo shoot (that you didn't want to do) is so much more important. Shut up Kelly.

• Love 1

My favorite thing about this episode (of the podcast, not the stupid TV show) was when Kelly tried to be "flirty," and the four of us -- Sarah, Tara, Dave and I -- all said some variation on "Oh, gross" at the same time. It felt like AWT listeners around the world were saying it. "You can bang my gavel anytime." Seriously, show (the stupid TV one, not the podcast) go fuck yourself.

• Love 5
23 hours ago, Ernistan said:

Is everyone aware that Luke Perry is on the cover of AARP this month?

Also, David as a pirate. Nice.

I saw the Luke Perry AARP thing and wanted to bring it up too. The tagline was something like "Luke Perry is on the cover of AARP and 90210 fans now feel old". My first thought was "He could have been on the cover of AARP while 90210 was still on". Ha ha.

Edited by kimbrchick
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Oh no, looking at IMDb, after this episode, We Never Saw D'Shawn again.  Booo.

He went to a better life. The NBA!

I thought Kelly was the worst in the episode. Brandon was in a tough spot regardless and i always thought the ending was kind of how he didn't know what to do and was out of his depth instead of him 'saving the world'. That's what I gathered from watching that episode. 

Always thought Ray was older. 

• Love 1

There was a professor at my school who is a famous Holocaust denier. He published a book about it. 

In an episode of ugly hair and mean mugs De'shawn had to pop in to offer something pleasant to the eye. Not all heros wear capes. 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, SoupThrower said:

I thought Kelly was the worst in the episode.

What was with that swipe at Valerie?  If you want to see at a girl who stole someone's boyfriend, take a look at yourself (and your fug hair) in a mirror, Taylor.

• Love 6

Hi there! This is Charlotte! The one who got so involved with her weird fangirl email/ ad request that she forgot to type in "my husband's" name. While you were all so close... his name is Mike. We thoroughly enjoyed all the guesses, though! Now Mike is claiming that we really just met, and I don't actually know his real name. He's angling for Batman, but...No.

Anyway, thank you for using my goof to great advantage, adding to an already amusing ad for our 20th anniversary. He said it was the best anniversary gift ever.
(Now, if only we could get him to run with the idea for my 50th birthday in 12 days.) Yes, I'm such a Scorp, as Iris would say.

...Apparently Luke is on the cover of this month's AARP mag. I came home from work tonight to find my invitation to join AARP in the mail pilot. Nooooo. The one association with the show I do not want.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, SoupThrower said:

He went to a better life. The NBA!

I thought Kelly was the worst in the episode. Brandon was in a tough spot regardless and i always thought the ending was kind of how he didn't know what to do and was out of his depth instead of him 'saving the world'. That's what I gathered from watching that episode. 

Always thought Ray was older. 

The NBA where I'm sure Brandon was still braying at him from the sidelines.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Stowaway said:

My favorite thing about this episode (of the podcast, not the stupid TV show) was when Kelly tried to be "flirty," and the four of us -- Sarah, Tara, Dave and I -- all said some variation on "Oh, gross" at the same time. It felt like AWT listeners around the world were saying it. "You can bang my gavel anytime." Seriously, show (the stupid TV one, not the podcast) go fuck yourself.

Ew, yes! And the "slap and tickle" bit. BARF!

• Love 2
10 hours ago, benteen said:

The NBA where I'm sure Brandon was still braying at him from the sidelines.

So basically every NBA coach lol. Would be better than President Walsh, a lot better. 

What was with that swipe at Valerie?  If you want to see at a girl who stole someone's boyfriend, take a look at yourself (and your fug hair) in a mirror, Taylor.

It was really out of the blue. She didn't steal Steve and Dylan was perfectly single. Unless Kelly was looking someone to help her break up with Walsh. Something like "Oh Brandon is boring. I still have Dylan around." like a backup. Of course Kelly has to be right though since Ray does sleep with Val but other than that don't remember Valerie stealing anyone's boyfriends.

Kelly stole Brenda's then stole Lucinda's 'boyfriend' then we all know she cheats on Brandon with Dylan and no one bats an eye. 

She is worse than Brandon. 

Edited by SoupThrower
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, Stowaway said:

It seemed like they kept trying to push the whole "they have such great chemistry" which is a sure sign that there is NO chemistry.  Val has chemistry with a refrigerator and aside from slut shaming her, we rarely hear about the great sex she has with people (minus Dylan's first encounter with her).

I didn't remember it before but between "slap and tickle", "bang by gavel" and "I haven't had to fake anything"... ewwww! 

I know you guys are busy, but I wish you had your thumbs in your bums and still could do a twice weekly podcast.  :(

• Love 1

Why did Kelly make the boyfriend stealing comment about Val? As Tara mentioned if Kelly's going make a nasty comment get it right. Val at that point had never made a pass at a man who was attached, her only crime was having multiple single guys attracted to HER. Holy crap was Kel intimidated by Val, grow up Sis. For someone who cried for years about being slut shamed she is anxious to do it to someone simply because she's pretty and has a brain and that threatens her. Dollars to donuts if Val was a guy who was a childhood friend that stayed w the Walshes Kelly would have been sweet as pie. Hate that shit. 

Also she can cut it out w all the sex references to Brandon I literally gagged. All that braying and stink faces he makes and his selfishness can you imagine him in bed? Yikes. It probably would involve a lot of reassuring compliments and high fives after. 

• Love 2

Val at that point had never made a pass at a man who was attached, her only crime was having multiple single guys attracted to HER.

I may be mis-remembering, but I don't think she was honest about her relationship with Dylan, and led Steve to believe that she and Dylan barely knew each other.  I'm not saying Kelly's comments were justified, but I do think Val had done some things that were at least somewhat shady by that point.  

• Love 3

Agree with all who thinks Kelly was out of line to make comments about Val. Fuck right off Kelly, she became such a hypocrite - I actually loved Kelly right up and through the SOD and then this holier-than-thou, prissy, perma-catbutt-mouth bitch replaced  her. It got so bad that I started enjoying all the ways the show messed with her. 

Spoiler

My favourite being when she gets shot. Maybe I'm a terrible person, but I laugh. every. time. 

I may be mis-remembering, but I don't think she was honest about her relationship with Dylan, and led Steve to believe that she and Dylan barely knew each other.  I'm not saying Kelly's comments were justified, but I do think Val had done some things that were at least somewhat shady by that point.  

I hear you TxHorns and agree Val was outright lying about stuff (which I hated), because, as Sarah points out, it would have been soooooo awesome if Val had just been to Steve and Kelly "yep, I've been f*cking, Dylan - didn't see us as being an exclusive thing, FRAT BOY." I mean, it's okay for the guys to fuck around and Dylan to have a "different girl every night" but Val's a 'ho? Sadly, the ridiculous sexism of this show was mostly lost on me (and I've been a feminist since HS - sigh). And, Kelly...? It's none of your GOTDAN business. honestly. 

As for the show, I hate, hate, hate whenever they try to tackle "the big issues." Why is it, that it is always written to make the white, straight male (Brandon) look like the reasonable "good" guy? I mean, they had the stereotypical "pushy"/"strident" Jewish people a, "well-spoken" black woman,  a couple of "ANGRYBLACKS" ... it's like they have to hit all the stereotypes just to make sure people with legitimate issues look like assholes while a waffling, ineffectual, no-nothing, privileged white boy is supposedly the one with all the integrity. Gah. Hate!!!!

In other words, it's definitely not good to look at this show through a 2016 lens. 

• Love 6
49 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I mean, Valerie was definitely up to some shady shit, but Kelly should go easy on throwing rocks in this particular glass house. 

And I dunno why nobody takes into account Valerie's recent trauma - her dad committing suicide - re: her actions.  I mean, Dylan losing his money slash drug addiction has certainly gotten him a free pass for his dicking over of Steve.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

And I dunno why nobody takes into account Valerie's recent trauma - her dad committing suicide - re: her actions.  I mean, Dylan losing his money slash drug addiction has certainly gotten him a free pass for his dicking over of Steve.

I love when Val "subtly" and very purposefully tries to play the dad-suicide card to get out of trouble. Was it the last episode, when she was talking to Jim? She was all "I didn't do this until.... my dad... "

Edited by StatMom
  • Love 3

As for the show, I hate, hate, hate whenever they try to tackle "the big issues." Why is it, that it is always written to make the white, straight male (Brandon) look like the reasonable "good" guy? I mean, they had the stereotypical "pushy"/"strident" Jewish people a, "well-spoken" black woman,  a couple of "ANGRYBLACKS" ... it's like they have to hit all the stereotypes just to make sure people with legitimate issues look like assholes while a waffling, ineffectual, no-nothing, privileged white boy is supposedly the one with all the integrity. Gah. Hate!!!

I don't think Brandon comes out looking good at all.  I think he looks weak and indecisive.  However, I will now always say that Andrea is the best at "Jewish."  And, honestly, who says something like: "Oh, your baby reminds me of a little boy I used to babysit for...before he died in the camps."  I mean, WTF, Grandma Rose? 

And finally, what the hell was the context of Roland Turner's comments about the Jews that the girl was claiming were taken out of context? 

• Love 4

I took Jesse's comments about Andrea being intolerant of other people's opinions to refer to her attitude towards Brandon specifically. In which case, I was actually on Jesse's side. She refused to listen to Brandon (I know it's hard when that bray comes at you, but girl has put up with that shit for 4+ years by now so she's gotta be used to it) and immediately attacked and accused him instead. Gee, thanks "friend"?? And I'm extra annoyed with her for making Brandon RIGHT about the politics stuff (who showed up at whose house...). DON'T MAKE BRANDON BE RIGHT ABOUT ANYTHING!!

• Love 5

The two best things about sitting through this episode were the podcast (of course) and watching my husband the astrophysicist have another "that's not how this works at all" moment. This time it was Robert's Rules of Order. "You're not allowed to adjourn the meeting like that, BRANDON. Worst president ever."

I don't think Brandon comes out looking good at all.

True. But I think the writers were trying to make him look "conflicted" and "noble" because he's so "sensitive" and "upstanding" or some shit. I don't know, it seems like the writers are always trying to write the "heros" with the intent to put them in the best light (e.g. Brandon becoming the reluctant Prez, Kelly being the reluctant Cover Girl, Donna's sainthood, etc.) but instead they always come off like entitled, whiny, bitchy assholes. In any event, he sure comes across better than the law student (Janice, I think?) not understanding the First Amendment, Menacing Hispanics (Alex Diaz and his Denim Outfit of disdain), Screechy Jews and Angry Black people (is there any other kind on this show?) Oh and former Freedom Riders who have no idea why! why?! they would want to keep the signs of the Hate Crime visible - GMAFB. So stupid. Of COURSE Dean Whitmore would understand. Good grief, show.

Oh D'Shawn. I love you. Why couldn't we have had a show where D'Shawn was a series regular instead of the guy they trot out to stamp Brandon's woke card. Ugh. 

And Wow Grandma Rose was on a roll this episode. First, noticing how her fucking granddaughter looks like a little boy who DIED IN A FUCKING CONCENTRATION CAMP.  Lovely, sentiment, Grandma. Then, "You're so well-spoken" to Janice. I remember cringing HARD at that line. 

Edited by Klaw
Because it's a Freedom RIDER not WRITER
  • Love 4

Oh, your baby reminds me of a little boy I used to babysit for...before he died in the camps."  I mean, WTF, Grandma Rose? 

I give Grandma Rose a pass for that. She'd probably been storing it up, waiting to get Andrea back for the time she compared her lying about her address to stay in a fancy school, to Grandma Rose lying about her heritage to avoid being rounded up by the Nazis. 

• Love 7
On 10/18/2016 at 1:36 PM, txhorns79 said:

And finally, what the hell was the context of Roland Turner's comments about the Jews that the girl was claiming were taken out of context? 

Literally the only way it would be ok 'in context' is if the sentence before was, "Here's a couple things you should never say."

• Love 9
On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 8:24 PM, bethster2000 said:

Kelly: you are too fat, too short, too dumpy, and not pretty enough to be A Model.

Eh, she is def cute.  And since I was bored, I did a search on the models on Seventeen around that time.  Most had this general fresh faced look vs. the alien supermodels from Vogue.  I did notice that around this time Nikki Taylor was taking over as were tv/movie stars (Claire Danes, Dawson Creek girls).  Even Luke Perry was on the cover!

I think someone said it best that when the Hillsters act reluctant to embrace their wonderfulness, they don't look humble but seem like asshats instead.  I don't get it.  One second, Kelly goes on about how being beautiful is such as curse (in the end of senior year- how no one takes her seriously).  Now, she's wondering if she is pretty enough to be a model.  Just pick a lane!!

And WTF is up with using Steve as an agent.  That seems like the worst idea ever.  Didn't we already see him fail with David?

• Love 2
On 10/17/2016 at 6:51 PM, GoRunner said:

Hi there! This is Charlotte! The one who got so involved with her weird fangirl email/ ad request that she forgot to type in "my husband's" name. While you were all so close... his name is Mike. We thoroughly enjoyed all the guesses, though! Now Mike is claiming that we really just met, and I don't actually know his real name. He's angling for Batman, but...No.

Anyway, thank you for using my goof to great advantage, adding to an already amusing ad for our 20th anniversary. He said it was the best anniversary gift ever.
(Now, if only we could get him to run with the idea for my 50th birthday in 12 days.) Yes, I'm such a Scorp, as Iris would say.

I must have missed something because I have absolutely no clue what this means. 

• LOL 1

@Maharincess The podcasts have the opportunity for listeners to have requested messages in them for a fee. The woman you quoted had an anniversary message and forgot to include her husband's name so after their message the hosts and David had fun speculating what his name was. Tara guessed Trey or Harry cuz Sex in the City which I still think was so cute ?

This series was my first podcast like a drug and the rest pale in comparison. There are some that are informative. Some funny. Few w both and none w their personalities. Like they should just podcast or narrate and riff on everything. 

• Love 1

I know I'm late to the party, but the First Amendment does apply to public universities, and I am assuming California University is one, since they're invoking the First Amendment. So, since the student event is tied up with quasi-government funding/hosting, it does become an issue if you try to ban a speaker on the basis of content or viewpoint. A governmental entity can place reasonable time/place/manner restrictions on an event (so, if there's a security issue, they could move it), but they have to be content- and viewpoint-neutral.