Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Render, and Then Seize Her

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

In the Chicago area, it's airing a half hour late — which is not new, what is new is that it's official.

If the NFL reduced the play clock to 24 seconds...the show would air on time....

• Love 1

Someone please tell us if Elementary was shown tonight.  Local CBS affiliate's transmitter is down.  They got cable back up but not broadcast.  Feh.  I'll try the CBS site tomorrow; maybe they still let us watch eps on line.

• Love 1

I tuned in about 10:50 Eastern and it had just started (I missed the very opening).  So they did show it, if you have on demand that might be the best way to see it. 

I can't wait for football to end!

Loved Joan's response to Sherlock:  "Then you'll live to be 100!"

• Love 1

So, I guess it's that time of the year, where football begins messing around with CBS's Sunday schedule.  Good to know!

Ha!  The criminal was done in by her breasts, of all things!  Have to admit that I felt like the camera kept focusing on them during her "post-escape" scene a lot, so at least I now know that was on purpose, and I wasn't just being a complete perv, heh.  I suspected the kidnapping would end up being fake at the start, but I just wasn't sure who all the players were going to end up being.  Fake kidnapping never seems to work on television!

Fun seeing Virginia Madsen back as Paige.  Sherlock being the one to suggest to Gregson to marry her; not out of love, but so she could take advantage of the healthcare benefits; was so Sherlock.  But I do think on some levels, he is happy for Gregson.  Marriage will clearly never be for Sherlock, but I do think he knows it might work out for Gregson this time.

I thought this episode used all four of it's regulars very well, due to Paige and her case not only featuring Gregson a lot, but since Sherlock was working on it, Bell picked up some of the side investigations.  Obviously, Sherlock and Joan are the main reasons I watch, but is always nice when Bell and Gregson get featured more.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, solea said:

I couldn't understand what Sherlock said when Gregson asked if the rings were hot. Anyone?

He said that if Gregson was concerned with their provenance, he should only consider the ones he pointed to.

I feel like I heard "Roll With It" about a hundred times during this episode!

• Love 2

I giggled heartily at Joan informing Sherlock that in addition to compulsively following mafia stories, she also collected stickers. 

10 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I thought this episode used all four of it's regulars very well, due to Paige and her case not only featuring Gregson a lot, but since Sherlock was working on it, Bell picked up some of the side investigations.  Obviously, Sherlock and Joan are the main reasons I watch, but is always nice when Bell and Gregson get featured more.

Indeed. One of the things that keeps me coming back isn't necessarily the cases (though they're usually at least fun) so much as the cast. They all have great chemistry and are a pleasure to watch. 

7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I feel like I heard "Roll With It" about a hundred times during this episode!

I believe you mean "Higher Love." Trust me; it was my mother's favorite song when I was a girl. I heard it a million billion times, and played it at my first piano recital. So many flashbacks. *shudder*

• Love 9

I giggled heartily at Joan informing Sherlock that in addition to compulsively following mafia stories, she also collected stickers. 

Great visual imagining Joan-girl collecting stickers. It helps to allay my concerns about her childhood obsession with the mafia, which came across as the way a neglected child might spend their after-school-time pre-internet.

I liked the playing of the nudist camp for laughs, especially Sherlock's line to Watson about getting, "dressed or undressed, your choice."

Interesting scene in which the female nudist manager puts on a robe to make someone, probably Bell, feel more comfortable. Sherlock would have probably not even noticed. I just assume he can see through our clothing anyway.

I loved watching Sherlock play cupid. But isn't Virginia Madsen already married to Captain Stottlemeyer on Monk? Or is that the previous marriage that Gregson was referring to that went bad? (Don't start. I'm just being witty. You should see how she's tearing up the country on Designated Survivor.)

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Ha!  The criminal was done in by her breasts, of all things!  Have to admit that I felt like the camera kept focusing on them during her "post-escape" scene a lot, so at least I now know that was on purpose, and I wasn't just being a complete perv, heh.

The same actress played one of the bank robbers in "Inside Man", and her breasts were a plot point in that movie, too. Wonder if she is being type-cast because of them?!

• Love 1
18 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

It started here "on time" at 9:30, but I fell asleep half way through, so I'll have to rewatch too. Hopefully I can zoom in to see the print on Joan's pajamas.

The only thing in her wardrobe this time around I truly coveted. Better look at the print and price tag here courtesy of WornOnTv.net.

I was happy to get another scene of Holmes waking up Watson (whose taste in bedsheets is surprisingly drab). And Holmes playing cupid was cute.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, MissLucas said:

The only thing in her wardrobe this time around I truly coveted. Better look at the print and price tag here courtesy of WornOnTv.net.

I was happy to get another scene of Holmes waking up Watson (whose taste in bedsheets is surprisingly drab). And Holmes playing cupid was cute.

Thanks for the link to the gorgeous pjs. Too bad my budget doesn't currently have room for $500 pajamas, no matter how amazing Lucy Liu looked in them. Also, I know not everyone likes them, but I also really like Joan's Japanese schoolgirl blouses and ties.  Professional, but with an edge, that's our Joan. Her slim black suit and the tan one were gorgeous, too. The costume folks must love working with Lucy - she makes everything look fantastic. And it's not just Joan - I loved Paige's dresses, too. The costume department is really on fire this year.

The case was fun, but I easily guessed that it was a fake kidnapping. But who cares, when Joan and Sherlock are so much fun? 

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 6

I thought this was awfully labored, trying to make all the different aspects fit. It seemed like something very discombobulated that was jammed together. Not one of their better efforts.

I am curious where Sherlock got all those engagement rings though.

• Love 1
On 10/24/2016 at 1:00 PM, Risky Librarian said:

&

On 10/24/2016 at 2:40 PM, MaryHedwig said:

Great visual imagining Joan-girl collecting stickers. It helps to allay my concerns about her childhood obsession with the mafia, which came across as yhe way a neglected child might spend their after-school-time pre-internet.

There's something about being from NYC and being of a certain age.  I'm about a year younger than LL (not sure what Watson's age is, but I'd imagine it's near enough to the actress's age) and I can recall being not-quite-but-nearly obsessed with the mafia.  When you encounter certain people in your life on a regular basis, it sometimes wedges itself into your psyche.  Now, I'm hoping the stickers were mafia-related, 'cause that'd be great.

On 10/24/2016 at 8:44 PM, Mama No Life said:

I love the sibling adoration of Sherlock and Joan.  Best call the producers ever made was making it clear it was always going to be platonic.....love their relationship.

Co-signed.  Platonic is nearly always better, unless in the hands of a great team of writers, directors, actors, etc...

• Love 4

Upon second viewing, regarding the rings, if you recall when they were at the studio talking to one of the customers, customer asked Sherlock if his accent were real.  He had a jewelry store as a client that needed "classing up" for a radio commercial.   So, I think the provenance ones he offered Gregson are his payment.  The doubtful rings, I guess we will continue to wonder.

• Love 9

I too guessed right about the kidnapping, though it wasn't hard. The moment she said "Ali" I rolled my eyes. Sherlock's conclusion was the embodiment of network reluctance to have real kidnappers be from Pakistan. I think Chechens may still be permissible.

The nudist colony should have been the gratuitous colony, amirite! Is that a red herring in your pocket or are you just glad to...no that doesn't work because nudists don't have pockets.

I didn't follow the breasts tanned/not tanned business, another clue requiring superhuman eyesight. It was nice to see Kim Director though.

Edited by fauntleroy
  • Love 1

@basiltherat - I like your explanation of provenance.  Thanks for sharing!

I was thinking the wife would be caught by her lack of visible scratches since she said she scurried away from the tent and got scratched up by the trees/brush.

Did Sherlock tell the Captain that he re-visited the issue with Paige because it was what the Captain said he had wanted (to get married but she had turned him down)?  I thought that is what he said and went "awwww...".

• Love 3
17 hours ago, DeLurker said:

@basiltherat - I like your explanation of provenance.  Thanks for sharing!

I was thinking the wife would be caught by her lack of visible scratches since she said she scurried away from the tent and got scratched up by the trees/brush.

Did Sherlock tell the Captain that he re-visited the issue with Paige because it was what the Captain said he had wanted (to get married but she had turned him down)?  I thought that is what he said and went "awwww...".

That's what I was made me suspicious about when she was telling her story. She looked nothing like someone who'd been scratched up by trees or bushes. 

I think Joan's pre-teen obsession with New York mafia came up in a previous season, so it's a nice bit of continuity.  Though the revelation that she collected stickers is new.  Lisa Frank, no doubt.

I love how awkward and twitchy Sherlock still gets when he is trying to discuss personal problems.

Pulling out the cricket bat and trying to get Joan to play as the background to the conversation cracked me up.

• Love 4

Only quibble I had is that Sherlock wanted to rush the Captain into marriage so Paige could be added to his insurance plan before open enrollment ended in a week, but she can get added within thirty days of the wedding regardless when that is because it's a change in the Captain's status.

I don't mind a rushed nuptials, but the reason was factually incorrect.  Here's hoping the union insurance plan doesn't use the pre-existing codicil.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, mojoween said:

Only quibble I had is that Sherlock wanted to rush the Captain into marriage so Paige could be added to his insurance plan before open enrollment ended in a week, but she can get added within thirty days of the wedding regardless when that is because it's a change in the Captain's status.

YES. I tried to post the same thing the other day and it got eaten by a bug and I was too cranky to type it up again. Marriage is a qualifying event! Fuck open enrollment! Annoyed the crap out of me since it came from the mouth of Sherlock and thus is even worse. Joan or Marcus says something silly that we know is the writers' fault I can sort of maybe let it go, but when the pedant character gets something wrong, and it's not a plot point that he didn't know something, it's infuriating.

Then I thought, well maybe he meant since she got cut from her past insurance, he meant to suggest they get married before she buys her own via open enrollment, but even so, I'm pretty sure you can cancel whenever. So unless she were prepaying a massive one-month bill and was that cash strapped to need to avoid that, the entire open enrollment comment made no sense.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 2

Did Paige say yes? Did like Sherlock helping Captain Thomas Gregson.

I didn't get the chest tanning evidence either, but thought she was lying. Also thought Sherlock telling Joan she could go clothing optional was cute. I keep wishing she and Marcus would get together. Doesn't seem like Sherlock's brother will be back.

• Love 1