Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: Decent Proposal

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, Adultosaurus said:

If he were William and/or Harry adjacent and mattered, he wouldn't be on an American 2nd tier reality show.  

Ben's father is a successful and wealthy author. He said he preferred to carve his own path in life rather than follow the posh trajectory. I can respect that. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Trooper York said:

Ben and Emily is as icky as it gets.

It is sort of a sleazy have sex with someone who could be your daughter at work day or something.

It is totes icky.

Nah... It is not icky. It just a valentines date on a reality TV show. Do you recall the preview of Emily crying about something? I guess that is going to be Ben and not Kelly.

I kind of wonder, since the crew works so close, why they are even allowed to date. They even allowed men and women to share rooms.

32 minutes ago, Belowdeckchatter said:

Nah... It is not icky. It just a valentines date on a reality TV show. Do you recall the preview of Emily crying about something? I guess that is going to be Ben and not Kelly.

I kind of wonder, since the crew works so close, why they are even allowed to date. They even allowed men and women to share rooms.

I think it's Sierra crying in the preview - saying "I just feel so used" or something.

If they weren't allowed to date and share rooms, there would be no show.  I don't think this is a "real" crew...Sierra's bio says she "got into yachting 3 months ago" - probably to audition to be a tv show :)

For a guy to say that he is going to support a woman to the point where she does not have to work, and he is not and never was even married to her, I think is a lot.  Meaning he's overdoing it.  Good for him I suppose, and I guess one could say it's noble.  But he will have a hard time finding potential girlfriends who are OK with that kind of set up.

I think a lot of ex wives do not have this type of situation.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, RedHawk said:

Ben's father is a successful and wealthy author. He said he preferred to carve his own path in life rather than follow the posh trajectory. I can respect that. 

Yeah, his dad is like the British version of James Patterson - 25 or 30 published novels, really well known name, etc. He evidently did the whole British celebrity, landed gentry, private school upbringing with the requisite attending of the "right" schools. Understanding how many of those kids go on to a life of living off of inherited wealth while staunchly proclaiming superiority based upon their success in having the right parents, I think its great that he decided to live a life of supporting himself doing something he enjoys. I definitely think that even with his inability to make breakfast, he's a talented chef that turns out good food. None of that stops him from sounding like a low-rent Austin Powers, but it does take him from icky to someone I would definitely hang with so long as he as firmly in the friend zone. I think part of the icky is we've seen him move on stews before and know his past history. Emily doesn't and he strikes me as much more of her type (quick wit, sharp tongue, physically un-imposing).

• Love 7
13 hours ago, biakbiak said:
13 hours ago, Adultosaurus said:

Wait, does he claim to have done that?  That's just so sad.

Yes, he mentioned it on Below Deck Med while explaining how hurt he was that Julia thought he was a snob. 

13 HOURS AGO, BIAKBIAK SAID:

Wow, well how is that a favorable thing for him?  Again..icky.

Julia was blasting him for being an out of touch London public (ie private) school guy who looked down on people like her.  He wanted her to know that while he had the educational background, he wasn't "one of them" in any other sense than his father having new money.  As big a divide as there is between North and South, working class and middle class, being the new money kid in the kind of circles that William/Harry ran in was probably no piece of cake for him, and I'm guessing he took a lot of abuse for it.  And now here was somebody accusing him of being a class bully, and it hit him hard.

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, kassa said:

Julia was blasting him for being an out of touch London public (ie private) school guy who looked down on people like her.  He wanted her to know that while he had the educational background, he wasn't "one of them" in any other sense than his father having new money.  As big a divide as there is between North and South, working class and middle class, being the new money kid in the kind of circles that William/Harry ran in was probably no piece of cake for him, and I'm guessing he took a lot of abuse for it.  And now here was somebody accusing him of being a class bully, and it hit him hard.

Then I would hope he learned from that - to not criticize how others talk.  One of Julia's issues with him was that he would correct her English. 

If he was bullied, perhaps for not speaking properly when he joined Will's and Harry's soccer teams, you'd think he wouldn't take anyone else to task for doing the same. Because it was so painful for him, and all.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Trooper York said:

He just seems old enough to be her father. She comes off as a thirteen year old. It is just not cool. Sorry.

Plus he seems to bang a different stew every season. If he wants to be a man-whore he should ask for a transfer to Vanderpump Rules for crying out loud. Show a little professionalism dude. Stick it in an apple pie or something if you can't wait till you get off the boat. Jeeez.

I don't see that at all. Ben comes off kind of doofy and immature to me, while Emily seems fairly mature for her age. She got a bit giggly around him, yes, but she does her job well and didn't let any of the Kelley-Nico competition get to her. I'd say they're actually probably on a pretty even playing field as far as maturity goes. 

As for professionalism, as long as relationships don't interfere with the guests, I don't really see it as unprofessional. From what I can see, there are no outright rules against staff dating, and since this is filmed for a reality show - they probably encourage it. 

• Love 3

Emily reminds me of an innocent, giggly 15-year-old school girl who's never had a Valentine.  And Ben seems lecherous.  Which is why if he pursues her, it will feel icky to me.

I fully understand that Emily is NOT 15 and I'm not even sure it's the age difference that is off putting to me.  It just seems wrong.  Almost like Michael Jackson/Lisa Marie Presley wrong.  There was only 10 years between them but it was just....wrong.  So it's not about age, as much as it just seems inorganic.  And somehow, unnatural to me.

• Love 1

I don't know maybe it is just me. But the optics are just terrible.

I mean if they are stripping down to do the nasty will Emily be wearing Hello Kitty underwear.

Now with Kelly I know it would be fine because he would be wearing the Hello Kitty underwear himself.

But Ben seems just way too old for her. Your Mileage May Vary.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, ryebread said:

Emily reminds me of an innocent, giggly 15-year-old school girl who's never had a Valentine.  And Ben seems lecherous.  Which is why if he pursues her, it will feel icky to me.

I fully understand that Emily is NOT 15 and I'm not even sure it's the age difference that is off putting to me.  It just seems wrong.  Almost like Michael Jackson/Lisa Marie Presley wrong.  There was only 10 years between them but it was just....wrong.  So it's not about age, as much as it just seems inorganic.  And somehow, unnatural to me.

I don't go in for this "age appropriate" stuff.  To me it's just another roadblock.  What gets me about Ben is that he seems insincere.  He would not have even thought about Emily had Kate not suggested it.  Emily doesn't even know that the flowers was Kate's idea, Ben didn't think that up on his own.

I thought it was interesting when both Sierra and Emily said they thought Kelley was hot and looked like a superhero, but neither one is interested; I think Kelley is too immature/alpha-male-ish, he needs to grow up.

Poor Lauren, friend zoned.  I stand by what I said before about the situation.  Human beings are tribal, Lauren is a brown-ish woman in a situation where the men aren't.  I think what Kevin (?) said about Sierra and her "Alaska face."  He was trying to say that she looked Nordic and mentioned that his people were Vikings or something.  Tribal, I guess.

• Love 2

His name is Kyle lol I thought it was funny when Emily called him Ryan. I was as confused as Sierra about who Ryan was lol

On paper Emily and Ben seem like a good match, personality wise, but the whole thing seems made up for the show. Until this episode Ben showed no romantic interest in Emily. And the flowers basically came from Kate. I wouldn't want someone giving them to me out of pity. Then his nervousness when asking her out seemed OTT. Prior to that he never had an issue talking to her. It just seems fake to me to create drama because Kelley is also interested in her.

• Love 5

Ben is totally not my type physically so I can't fault people for thinking he's icky, but I do think he's pretty funny and chill and would probably be fun to hang out with on the boat. As long as he's not freaking out about dinner, anyway. You'd think after years of being a chef he'd get used to plans changing or guests deciding to be super picky and needing to change things on the fly. I guess it's a high pressure job...

But yeah, overall I am one of those people who likes seeing Ben on the show and I'm always glad when they bring him back, haha.

Also - yeah, he got those flowers after Kate mentioned Emily never having gotten any, but he even admitted as much on the episode, I think. ("oh I heard Kate say that Emily has never gotten any flowers so I thought I'd fix that" or something like that). I think that's pretty cute for a guy to do. (Count me in as someone who mostly gets flowers from her own mom... I've tried to teach my boyfriend why it's a thing but I don't think he gets the concept, LOL) I think those are best served as friendship flowers rather than romance flowers but that once again stems from the fact that I personally wouldn't, you know, do Ben.

• Love 2

So much about this season seems overly scripted, even if the situations were created by the producers and the cast working them out together. Emily never having received flowers, although it's likely to be true, reminds me of the 50-year-old charter guest who'd never had a birthday cake or something weird like that. It seemed so contrived. Well, I still find the show entertaining but I wish the producers wouldn't rely so much on formulas and just let things happen a bit more naturally. Not every Bravo reality show has to have the same narrative. Some of us want something fresh. I don't watch any other Bravo show (oh, except for Don't Be Tardy) because the others have gotten so formulaic, stale, stupid, and way past their sell-by date. Below Deck was different in the beginning...

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Trooper York said:

I don't know but Ben-mily gives me the willies.

It is just about the creepiest hook up since Rumpelstiltskin and Belle on Once Upon A Time.

That was Beauty and the Beast. This is Baby and the Yeast.

Yeech.

But are they a creepier pair than Carole Radiziwell and Bethenny Frankenstein?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, RedHawk said:

So much about this season seems overly scripted, even if the situations were created by the producers and the cast working them out together. Emily never having received flowers, although it's likely to be true, reminds me of the 50-year-old charter guest who'd never had a birthday cake or something weird like that. It seemed so contrived. Well, I still find the show entertaining but I wish the producers wouldn't rely so much on formulas and just let things happen a bit more naturally. Not every Bravo reality show has to have the same narrative. Some of us want something fresh. I don't watch any other Bravo show (oh, except for Don't Be Tardy) because the others have gotten so formulaic, stale, stupid, and way past their sell-by date. Below Deck was different in the beginning...

Don't be Tardy is HILARIOUSLY scripted and overwrought.  I live in their community, my kids go to school with her kids...

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Adultosaurus said:

Don't be Tardy is HILARIOUSLY scripted and overwrought.  I live in their community, my kids go to school with her kids...

It sure is! Cracks me up! The thing I like is that it's not the same setup and formula as the Housewife and other shows.

Edited by RedHawk

On paper Emily and Ben seem like a good match, personality wise, but the whole thing seems made up for the show.

He hasn't seemed to be interested in any of the stews this season.  I think he's still hot for Kate. 

This whole "he's so old for her" is goofy though.  Who cares about age.  She's not in her teens. 

I also don't find Emily appealing but don't mind the age difference with Ben. What bugs is that it seems so scripted. His relationship with Kate, on the other hand, seems very real and therefore enjoyable. I absolutely loved them when they were soaking their feet in the sink after a long workday. 

Edited by OnceSane
Quoted post was deleted.
  • Love 1