Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: Decent Proposal

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Kate says goodbye to her girlfriend; Ben makes a heartfelt gesture to a crew member; the Valor crew must prepare the perfect surprise engagement dinner for two guests; Kelley loses control of his deck team; Kyle's admiration for Sierra grows.

Goodbye Ro!  I don't like her.  On the other hand, I love Ben!!!  He was so adorable tonight.  I always liked him but I like him even more after tonight.  I really like Ben and Kate's friendship also.  They were so cute together tonight.  Screw Ro, Screw Emily....I want Ben and Kate!

• Love 12

I really want for them to give us a tour of Captain Lee's cabin, because I just know there's a Dad-ism of the day calendar on his bedside table. "Hey there sports fans!" was clearly today's phrase. And yet, I would still go to there, it's kind of inexplicable (I'm at least two decades his junior). He's salty, has so little use for small talk (that proposal "story", oh my god), and whips up frozen cocktails with practiced ease. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

Sierra, it's not "noble" for Kyle to provide for "the mother of his child"; he's being a responsible *father* of *his* child. Oy.

But who knows, she may still surprise us with a second head. :p

• Love 13

She's probably referring to the fact that, unlike a lot of men, he cares about being part of his daughter's life and providing child support instead of abandoning her/them. Not exactly something that's gonna make her want to go out with him though, hey I got my date pregnant on the first date! 

I think the Ben and Emily thing is made up for a storyline. They had a cute friendship going but all of a sudden Ben turns into jelly around her? It's like it came from nowhere. And am I the only one who's just plain creeped out because he's like so much older than her? 

• Love 4

Ro is the Brooks' Cancer of tv relationships. And the chick seriously lurks like the girl from The Ring.

I don't know what a bin shed is and I don't want anyone to tell me I was conceived in one. Also, did Amy Sherman-Palladino write Ben's invitation for dinner? What was that? 

Edited by chick binewski
  • Love 7
26 minutes ago, BogoGog24 said:

She's probably referring to the fact that, unlike a lot of men, he cares about being part of his daughter's life and providing child support instead of abandoning her/them. Not exactly something that's gonna make her want to go out with him though, hey I got my date pregnant on the first date! 

I think the Ben and Emily thing is made up for a storyline. They had a cute friendship going but all of a sudden Ben turns into jelly around her? It's like it came from nowhere. And am I the only one who's just plain creeped out because he's like so much older than her? 

I think you're giving her WAY more credit than she deserves.  He's a 2-month prospect.  She knows that.

When Captain Lee was giving his lesson on being proactive, he told Kelley to ask the guests what they wanted to do and Kelley still fucked it up. If he had simply asked them, his deck crew wouldn't have spent an hour setting up and then trying to navigate the tender. I'm glad Nico pointed out how quick Kelley is to take the fun jobs and delegate shit work. Something else that Captain Lee said stuck with me. He said that the deck crew will emulate your behavior so if you're in the crew mess, they'll be in the crew mess. And it occurred to me that when Eddie was bosun, he and his deck crew were rarely just sitting in the mess. We'd see them during crew meals, but otherwise he expected them to be up, cleaning, and working when they were on duty. It also seemed like he had a perspective that if you are off duty, then go to your bunk. Kelley is actively becoming terrible at his job.

I'm not really understanding what's going on in this date planning. Usually, they all clean and prep the boat for the next charter and can do whatever they want in the evening. But the way Nico is describing it, it sounds like Kyle and Sierra were going to leave a little early for their fishing date. Then Sierra tried to make it into a double date. But in the preview Kelley appears to be getting ready to go out, but there still seems to be work left to do on the boat that he's delegated to Nico and Lauren.

A bin shed is a wooden shed where you store your garbage bin and recycling. So classy. When Kyle said it, I was like of course. You fucked this girl on a first date next to a garbage bin.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, chick binewski said:

Ro is the Brooks' Cancer of tv relationships. And the chick seriously lurks like the girl from The Ring.

I don't know what a bin shed is and I don't want anyone to tell me I was conceived in one. Also, did Amy Sherman-Palladino write Ben's invitation for dinner? What was that? 

A bin shed is a small structure that houses garbage cans (bins) and there are big ones that hold dumpsters. 

• Love 4

I agree with chick binewski that is a horror show of a conception story. How did your parents meet? Well, the were on their first date. They got stinking drunk and had sex next to the garbage can.

There was joke on the 4th season of Arrested Development about how the middle names of Ron Howard's kids is the place where the kid was conceived. Smash cut to a previously unknown daughter of Ron Howard, Rebel Alley Howard.

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, chick binewski said:

Ro is awful. When she's trying to be romantic, she holds up her fingers and romantically says "babe, it's like a pussy and a heart together." I know why Kate can't resist her.

And as RHoOC reminded us this week, Brooks was a charmer. 

Tamra: Brooks what's your favorite physical feature on Vicki.

Brooks: Her vagina. I would have to say her vagina.

On another topic, why has this crew become such lazy assholes? They had dinner at the guest dining room and left the food out.

• Love 5

Captain Lee was saltier than usual this week. I guess he's trying to help Kelley, but they're editing him as an ass right now.

I'm not sure what's so posh about Emily. Her job is to wash people's shorts. Kelley needs to stop trying with her. Just go ashore and flex in front of some drunk tourists if he wants to get out of his dry spell.

Ro was bad enough, but Kate was really getting annoying.

• Love 1

Thank god Ro is gone.  Can you imagine being there and actually having to watch this all day?  OK.  Maybe the guys got off on it.  I don't think Kate did.  She seemed uncomfortable the whole time.

The comment about Emily being posh, or at least the way I took it, was about where she was from and how she handles herself.  You can clean the toilets and still be 'posh' or 'classy'. 

Ben annoys me most of the time but I did like the whole flowers and asking Emily out to dinner scenes.  I like Emily.  And yes, I think her attractive.  I say this because of comments made in past episodes.  I think most of the posters here are women and what many women think attractive in a women isn't always what men find attractive in a woman.

Capt. Lee just wants the job done.  I've been around a lot of skippers on boats.  Mostly sailing.  I get his impatience with the deck crew.  Heck, as a manager I get him.   You're in the service industry as well as being responsible for a million dollar vessel.  Kelley is really bad at management of employees and understanding a yacht and what needs to be done.  The guy is just too immature to handle it (see his relationships as well as what he thinks his relationships are with women).  And....geez Kelley.  As a bosun you should have known that the solution to the pool problem was to let the line out so the pool was away from the stern.  Even I knew to do that.

Awkward proposal but I loved that Kate and Sierra took the ring out.  And Kate trying it on.  OK.  Probably against the rules but heck, I probably would have done the same thing.

Edited by breezy424
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, ivygirl said:

Sierra, it's not "noble" for Kyle to provide for "the mother of his child"; he's being a responsible *father* of *his* child. Oy.

I'm gonna respectfully disagree.  If some guy told me that the woman he knocked up on their first date in a trash bin would "never have to work again" and that he would "see to that", I'd run away while snickering.

First of all, yeah, no.  Sounds like some Big Talker bullshite to me.  (Dude, it looks like you're having a hard time keeping yourself in shampoo.)  And second of all, it might seem noble to some but it seems a little stupid to me. 

Sierra, with one head or two, can do better than Kyle.

• Love 4

Yeah, Kyle is perhaps not ideal long term material (at least now). But he does seem genuinely concerned about his daughter so I will give him that. (Didn't he say they talk pretty regularly, or am I thinking of someone else?)

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, Adultosaurus said:

Captain Lee has always been an ass.  He's a driver for hire.

His blog posts sometimes read like he's a butt hurt school girl.  That said, I don't mind his saltiness with the crew.  Captains should be salty. That might be where that term comes from in the first place?

36 minutes ago, breezy424 said:

Maybe the guys got off on it.  I don't think Kate did.  She seemed uncomfortable the whole time.

I thought Kate looked uncomfortable last epi when Ro first showed up.  Maybe it was because she wasn't adequately liquored up yet.  But by this episode, Kate was every bit as handsy and willing to loudly make-out in toilets as Ro was.  Match made in heaven.  Kate said she was really in love and couldn't get enough - whatever floats her boat.

If I didn't know that their relationship was real via what's happening IRL, I'd think it was scripted. It's that weird.

4 minutes ago, ryebread said:

His blog posts sometimes read like he's a butt hurt school girl.  That said, I don't mind his saltiness with the crew.  Captains should be salty. That might be where that term comes from in the first place?

I thought Kate looked uncomfortable last epi when Ro first showed up.  Maybe it was because she wasn't adequately liquored up yet.  But by this episode, Kate was every bit as handsy and willing to loudly make-out in toilets as Ro was.  Match made in heaven.  Kate said she was really in love and couldn't get enough - whatever floats her boat.

If I didn't know that their relationship was real via what's happening IRL, I'd think it was scripted. It's that weird.

What about this makes you sure this relationship is real?  That Kate got arrested?  Ro has shopped herself to other reality shows - MTV Challenge and Big Brother (per Google).

3 minutes ago, Adultosaurus said:

So about their blog posts...a friend of mine used to write the RHOA blog posts when she interned at NBC/Bravo.  Don't for a second believe that the cast members write their own articles that get posted online.

I believe this. Back in the olden days when Teresa Guidice didn't wear an ankle tether, there was a discussion at TWOP about how there was no way that she wrote her own blog posts.  They were too polished and cleanse-y.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Adultosaurus said:

What about this makes you sure this relationship is real?  That Kate got arrested?  Ro has shopped herself to other reality shows - MTV Challenge and Big Brother (per Google).

That they were living together and in her personal blog posts - she was all aglow about Ro.  Loads of pictures of them out and about.  And yeah, the arrest makes it seem like it was real.  Do you think it was fake?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, ryebread said:

That they were living together and in her personal blog posts - she was all aglow about Ro.  Loads of pictures of them out and about.  And yeah, the arrest makes it seem like it was real.  Do you think it was fake?

No, didn't think it was fake but DID think it was overblown for publicity.  Ro is a C-list sports star who has tried to get on a lot of reality shows....that makes me think it was kinda stunty.

So this question will reveal that I've never been on a yacht, so apologies if it's a dumb question, but what is the purpose of the pool that the crew has to keep assembling?  Is there something wrong with swimming in the ocean without a pool enclosure?  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ryebread said:

I'm gonna respectfully disagree.  If some guy told me that the woman he knocked up on their first date in a trash bin would "never have to work again" and that he would "see to that", I'd run away while snickering.

First of all, yeah, no.  Sounds like some Big Talker bullshite to me.  (Dude, it looks like you're having a hard time keeping yourself in shampoo.)  And second of all, it might seem noble to some but it seems a little stupid to me. 

Sierra, with one head or two, can do better than Kyle.

Why is it 'he' knocked up?  It's just as much her responsibility as it is his. 

6 minutes ago, LotusFlower said:

So this question will reveal that I've never been on a yacht, so apologies if it's a dumb question, but what is the purpose of the pool that the crew has to keep assembling?  Is there something wrong with swimming in the ocean without a pool enclosure?  

It depends where you are.  And I admit I don't know much about the water off of St. Barts.  Maybe there's sharks, etc.  We've never seen that before on Below Deck and there's probably a reason for it.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, LotusFlower said:

Jellyfish and other creatures for people who don't want to deal with them though in this case it appears mostly because they don't really want to swim they want to have a place they can  be in the ocean and still have an alcoholic beverage. 

4 hours ago, annewithaneee said:

I really want for them to give us a tour of Captain Lee's cabin, because I just know there's a Dad-ism of the day calendar on his bedside table. "Hey there sports fans!" was clearly today's phrase. And yet, I would still go to there, it's kind of inexplicable (I'm at least two decades his junior). He's salty, has so little use for small talk (that proposal "story", oh my god), and whips up frozen cocktails with practiced ease. 

I'm right there with you.

My favorite from tonight "He could F&%@ up a 2 car funeral..."

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, LotusFlower said:

Thanks guys.  Last question about the pool - is there a net?  Cuz I'm not sure how the thing keeps sea life out if the structure is just floating on top of the water.

Yes there is a net, you can see it when they set it up, it's weighted down to create the square below the platform.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Yes there is a net, you can see it when they set it up, it's weighted down to create the square below the platform.

Ok, thanks.  I guess I wasn't paying that much attention.  That makes more sense, although the concept still seems weird to me.  To create a small, enclosed area when you have the entire beautiful Caribbean ocean to swim in...  Didn't know the sea life there was so scary!

7 hours ago, ivygirl said:

Didn't he say that the mother "would never have to work a day in her life"? That seems a bit more than just being a responsible co-parent. It seems weird like a "red flag" for a few reasons. Maybe I misheard but I think it might've even been subtitled? 

6 hours ago, ivygirl said:

Ok. Just saying, Google failed me on it, as it did on "Alaskan face."

The first few google image are pictures of bin sheds, if you want a visual, haha. So gross to bang there. "Alaska face" is different; that's some random shit.

5 hours ago, Adultosaurus said:

We woudn't watch a show about maid service in a hotel (or would we??)

I totally would. I'm surprised there hasn't been yet. I've worked in hotels...the housekeeping staff showed me some Things. 

3 hours ago, Long Spot said:

My favorite from tonight "He could F&%@ up a 2 car funeral..."

I laughed out loud at that. He's brilliant.

I like Ben and Emily together, if only because it annoys Kelley and he annoys me. I wonder how Emily feels seeing the flowers were mainly Kate's doing?

The steak and corn (?!?) meal looked gross. Beetroot purée? The colors were off-putting. The corn looked tacky. Maybe it's just me but I think corn just can't be fancy in straight kernel form, at least Ben's was not. I know it wasn't some canned Libby's corn but I still found it an odd choice.

Bye, Ro. Glad to see you go. Do I ever want to hear your laugh again? NO! You were annoying like, whoa. Now just as the wind - blow!

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 5

Phew. I was glad to see Ro gone right after the first commercial break. I don't think I could take one more minute of her laugh or the constant make-out sessions. I get that in the first few months you're really enamored with each other. No one is ever too old to be smitten. But they ARE too old to be shoving tongues down each other's throats in front of a bunch of people like they're 14-year-olds who just figured out how to kiss and have nowhere else to go. 

I did find it interesting that Kate was the one really pushing for Ben and Emily. Was it because SHE'S so in love and wants others to be happy too? Or was it because she could see how awkward Ben was around her and Ro and wanted him to move on? Have either of them expressed interest in each other around her and we just didn't see it? Either way, I do think they're cute together. Probably the cutest match of the summer. I'll get a bit of glee out of seeing Ben swoop in and "win" Emily with one gesture, after Kelley and Nico were trying to schmooze her for weeks. Why? Because he was just gentlemanly and upfront. No game. Just Ben. 

And that's kind of how Kyle is too. Maybe it's an English vs. American thing? But I remember Kyle being very upfront with her last episode. He literally told her that he was fond of her and asked to "take her out", no? I think he was pretty clear. So for her to be all, "I don't think it's a DATE" later was just silly. I think she changed her mind when she heard he had a kid. And that's her prerogative. I don't think it needed to be such a big deal - they're just on a summer charter, returning to two totally different parts of the world. But if someone doesn't want to date someone with kids, that's their right and I respect that. But she should have just been upfront about it. Instead, I felt like she wanted to try and get out of it by inviting more people on the date. Which was not only unfair to Kyle, but to Emily as well. I believe Emily has expressed to Sierra that isn't really into Kelley like that, so Sierra was setting her up for an awkward situation - and also giving Kelley more hope. 

But yea, on the other hand, Kelley is all presumptuous and trying to make "moves". I do feel for these people - because it's hard being on a boat with each other for weeks and handling situations delicately. I could ALMOST see where Kelley might think Emily likes him, because she's an awkward laugher. I do the same thing and I hate it, because I know it gives guys the impression that I like them. But, at the same time, when he tried to bust in on the fishing date and Emily claimed fishing wasn't her thing, he should have got it. I mean, if you like someone....in the beginning...anything is your thing! Look at Sierra - she was all happy just to run an errand with Kyle (until she found out about the dreaded kid). I mean, unless someone is into clubbing baby seals, you're usually happy to go along with whatever. So I thought that was pretty obvious. She's trying to be nice, but clue him in. Oh well, he'll be clued in soon! 

At any rate, Kelley needs to stop focusing on girls and start focusing on his job. He was a sloppy mess this week! Being proactive doesn't mean getting all the damn toys out when the guests haven't asked for them. It means looking around and seeing what needs to be done, before Captain has to tell you. Sigh. He just doesn't get it. That debacle with the pool and the guests wanting to snorkel was so embarrassing. And then he runs off on the boat with them and leaves Nico and Lauren to put away HIS mess! 

• Love 9

Captain Lee's blog reads like an intern wrote it. Oh, wait.

If he really wrote his own blog, it would read something like "Deck crew fucked up. Again. Idiots." (I don't think that, but it's how he would write.)

He's really got it in for Kelly. Uncomfortable to watch.

With all the recent focus on crew relationships, and them getting lazy (e.g., leaving sushi out all night), this show is less and less about running a charter yacht and more like a floating Vanderpump Rules.

The nervous fiance was sweating bullets as he waited to propose.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, ghoulina said:

But they ARE too old to be shoving tongues down each other's throats in front of a bunch of people like they're 14-year-olds who just figured out how to kiss and have nowhere else to go. 

I agree! I can't stand PDA, I don't care if you're gay, straight, whatev. And the sound effects of them having sex in the bathroom just sent me over the top. Something super creepy about Ro.

What's with the guys falling all over Emily? Am I missing something about her? I don't think she's attractive at all. Buck teeth, rediculously over sized glasses and frizzy hair. And she looks like she's 12. Her personality is nothing special. Maybe she has an outstanding killer body that I haven't noticed. Oh, and if she comes from a "posh" English family, why didn't they put some braces on that girl...

This show is becoming a bit monotonous: Get ready for guests. Meet and serve obnoxious guests. Watch the crew fuck up. Say goodbye to guests and collect your tip. One night off, everybody gets shitfaced drunk on whatever island and try to get laid. Wake up next morning cranky and hungover, prepare the yacht for the next obnoxious guests. I know there's not much else to film but I wish they would stop the crew romances, because none of them ever work out. 

• Love 11

Re: the little pool thing they set up behind the boat -- I forget where I was, either Bermuda or somewhere in the caribbean, but one vacation the jellyfish had swept in and it was basically impossible to take a dip. These things were like a foot in diameter and everywhere. If that's what it was like at the time of filming I could definitely understand the need for the weird pool thing. Then again they took the guests snorkeling a bit further out and there didn't seem to be an issue so who knows.

As for Emily, I don't think she looks particularly hot or anything day-to-day but I can totally see why guys like her when she gets dressed up. I actually enjoy the fact that a lot of the Below Deck women aren't supermodels and come off as average or just quirky or non-stereotypically pretty. Then again, it's easy for me to find at least something nice about everyone and I wish more people did that instead of putting other people down.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Rebecca said:

Didn't he say that the mother "would never have to work a day in her life"? That seems a bit more than just being a responsible co-parent. It seems weird like a "red flag" for a few reasons. Maybe I misheard but I think it might've even been subtitled? 

Well I'd agree with you there -- that *is* above and beyond the call of duty. I probably missed it if he said it. Even so, he still is far more involved than many other "bin shed dads" and I give him credit for that.

The first few google image are pictures of bin sheds, if you want a visual, haha. So gross to bang there. "Alaska face" is different; that's some random shit.

And he said he made it happen because he's a "romancer." Hahaha, ew.

(Kyle is an odd duck but in many ways he seems like an ok guy, especially compared to some of the chumps we've seen on Below Deck & BD: Med.)

As an aside -- if you late interested in hotel life, you might want to read "Heads in Beds." It's a good (not great) book, but it's interesting.

Edited by ivygirl
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, syzygy said:

As for Emily, I don't think she looks particularly hot or anything day-to-day but I can totally see why guys like her when she gets dressed up. I actually enjoy the fact that a lot of the Below Deck women aren't supermodels and come off as average or just quirky or non-stereotypically pretty. Then again, it's easy for me to find at least something nice about everyone and I wish more people did that instead of putting other people down.

I agree. I actually thought it was cool to see all the guys go for Emily, because I figured they'd all go for Sierra. She has a curiver, more "womanly" body, nicer teeth, and her hair looks better than all the other girls on the boat. But she's pretty much a dingbat, so it's quite refreshing that the guys aren't going JUST for looks. I think the appeal of Emily is that she's sweet. She just seems like a really nice, fun girl. She also seems to be somewhat intelligent, so they might like the idea of being able to strike up a conversation with her - as opposed to Sierra, who would ask, "what's that?" every 5 minutes. Kate is taken and Lauren, unfortunately, seems to have settled right into "friend" position. 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, ryebread said:

9 hours ago, breezy424 said:

Why is it 'he' knocked up?  It's just as much her responsibility as it is his. 

Instead of saying he 'knocked her up', I should have said he 'impregnated' her.  Absolutely half the responsibility is hers but him bragging: "I got her fucking levered" and then impregnating her in a trash bin is the part that would have had me running away.  

The part that made me laugh/cringe was when he went on to further say that this woman, who he's not even with anymore, will never have to work again.

He'd better start angling for the Captain's job because without a job that requires more from him than swabbing the decks, I'm not quite sure how he's going to make that happen.

Run, Sierra, run.  Unless, of course, you don't want to work ever again either, then go ahead and get impregnated by Kyle.  He'll make sure you're kept in the lap of luxury.  See?  Ridiculous.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

What's with the guys falling all over Emily? Am I missing something about her? I don't think she's attractive at all. Buck teeth, rediculously over sized glasses and frizzy hair. And she looks like she's 12. Her personality is nothing special. Maybe she has an outstanding killer body that I haven't noticed. Oh, and if she comes from a "posh" English family, why didn't they put some braces on that girl...

I agree, I just don't see the hotness of Emily at all.  I can't get past her bad teeth.

I think Captain Lee has it out for Kelley, and I don't know why, except maybe there's something about Kelley that gets under Captain's skin.  Why did he get upset with that food being leftover?  Kelley wasn't the only one eating.

I think the problem and maybe this is what the captain sees,  is that Kelley is a boy, man-child, whatever, he doesn't act like a grown up, certainly not like a supervisor.  Kelley never even thought to get flowers for Emily, yet he's sitting there flirting with her.  Ben, who is an adult did get the flowers for Emily, not because he wants her, but because Kate told him Emily never had anybody send her flowers; that was a sweet gesture. 

Kelley wants to be a boss, but he doesn't get that he has to set an example. 

• Love 2