Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Afternoon Tea

• Start Topic

I have to share this:

My son and I watch the Bake Off shows together (he just turned four) and we're currently watching Junior Bake Off--Nadiya is one of the judges and he adores her.  While we watch, he uses his toys (or anything he can get his hands on) to pretend he's baking along with them.  I even have to say "On your marks, get set…Bake!".  AND I have to let him know when there's only one minute remaining to which he replies "My time is almost up!"…it is ridiculously cute.

• Love 14

I just got an OLED TV, & I'm watching GBBO on Netflix for this first time since I got it. It's hard to explain, but it's like I'm in the tent, everybody is so high contrast it doesn't look like film, it looks like real life. I wonder if I can grab a cookie LOL

• Love 2

We recently spent the Christmas holidays on a cruise to Hawaii.  On New Year's Eve, a croqueembouche was put at the entry table to the formal dining room.  I'd not seen one "in person" before - just on TV baking shows.

To be honest, it looked like one of those dusty (fake) sample cakes put out in a lot of bakeries to display what types of things they can make for special occasions.  Maybe it was . . . I didn't touch it.  But at least I knew what it was!!!

• Love 3

For the discussion about the NYC bagel search, I thought I'd throw in 2 other options.  I see that Zucker's is sold out, however you might also try H&H as well as Zabars.  After living in the South for 10 years, those became a lifeline.  Granted, H&H isn't the original, but it's still pretty good.

8 hours ago, cynicat said:

For the discussion about the NYC bagel search, I thought I'd throw in 2 other options.  I see that Zucker's is sold out, however you might also try H&H as well as Zabars.  After living in the South for 10 years, those became a lifeline.  Granted, H&H isn't the original, but it's still pretty good.

The site I linked to is Goldbelly, it isn't Zucker's site, so even though the Yum Kippur special is sold out, there are other bagel things from Zucker's & other NY stores that you can still get. I'll check these other 2 sites out.  

• Love 1

Another possibility is Katz's.  One year for my birthday, a friend and I did a big deli order.  If you spend $100, you get free shipping, and that's not hard to do.  We got pastrami, brisket, pickles, rye bread, babka, bagels, and bialys.  I was in heaven!

I could have sworn I heard that H&H closed?

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Rammchick said:

I could have sworn I heard that H&H closed?

The original H&H did close, but I think there are a few others scattered around.  Not exactly the same, but still pretty good.  I'll check out the Katz site too.  

On 10/11/2020 at 2:34 AM, cynicat said:

The original H&H did close, but I think there are a few others scattered around.  Not exactly the same, but still pretty good.  I'll check out the Katz site too.  

Here's another one for you that looks pretty good -- https://bagelofthemonth.com/  I've been getting their emails and the prospect of rainbow cookies may have won me over!

• Love 1