Type keyword(s) to search

My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 2:53 PM, Evil Queen said:

OMG the mom used a line that Dolly Parton used in 9 to 5. LMAO I'm gonna change you from a rooster to hen with one shot.

Hahaha I noticed that too. I guess the producers don't think their audience is old enough to have seen that movie.

• Love 1

I'll be the voice of dissent and say that I didn't enjoy the UK show more. I think that the UK version was much more realistic (the American version has set the bar pretty low since it's obvious how fake the scenarios are and how bad the acting is, even before you guys dig up all that awesome research on FB!), but that's the same reason why the UK version sickened and saddened me. Those girls were pulled out of school at 14 and 15 so they could marry random guys who had grabbed them at a party (grabbing is an actual UK gypsy ritual, unlike the made up "rituals" we see on the American show).

Instead of at least getting a high school diploma, they were relegated to cleaning their tiny trailers top to bottom with bleach every single day and basically being single parents when their husbands were out ripping people off or in jail for ripping people off. And no divorces, no matter how abusive the men were. I can't imagine going from basically no contact with boys at all (no holding hands, no kissing) to losing my virginity at 14/15 to some guy who, let's be honest, didn't know what the hell he was doing. I can't imagine raising four kids by myself in a trailer away from my own family. I can't imagine not having access to money or being told I wasn't allowed to earn my own money. I can't imagine wasting most of my entire day washing a fucking trailer with bleach and cooking dinner on a hot plate.

The American show is sooooooo fake but at least it makes me cringe from the bad acting and fictitious marriages/relationships instead of making me cringe from the sad lives that the girls in the UK are actually living.

• Love 2

OMG, you guys, Jacy's family has their own crest - and it's a unicorn drawn in crayon! I could not stop laughing at that or her claims of royalty. You and Princess Diana had the same 17th grandfather? Girl, that is a hell of a stretch. But it's okay since her husband's family is doubly royal!

Part of me was like ugh, these Disney princess dresses are so tacky. But the other part of me was like well, two of the girls wearing them are only 14 and 16 so they kind of get a pass because they're still in high school.

I don't understand how Jessica and her older sister Lindsi are 27 and 30 but they still aren't married. I was waiting for someone to say that they'd both been divorced or something. This is a "culture" that thinks 18 year old girls are old maids so how did they manage to get a decade past that without being married? Hell, even the two girls in this episode who are 23 are considered old to be unmarried in gypsy culture. The three sisters are supposedly from New Orleans but none of them had even the slightest hint of an accent. And no mention of where their parents are.

As much as Jacy annoys me, I love that the two daughters we've seen on this show are rebelling against gypsy expectations. Tuter was not into any of her mom's pink princess shit and Puff (!) is smart enough to know that she doesn't need to find a husband at the ripe old age of 14 AND she wants to be a nurse and travel the world.  I was cracking up when Puff said she had no interest in finding a guy but that she was excited about getting to wear a fancy dress. Apparently that's all Jacy wanted too since she insisted on wearing a fancy dress and a tiara. I'm glad that Puff was finally able to just dance and have fun.

Selena's brothers suck (ha, their names are Teddy and Eddie!). First they say that she doesn't need a man. Then they promise not to come to the ball and they show up anyway. Next they call Dylan a kid when he's 19 (and her brothers are 18 and 20, so come on, he's the same age they are) so he's not right for her. Despite the fact that Dylan annoyed me for wearing a backwards baseball cap to a BALL, I didn't think he was disrespecting Selena at all. From what we saw of them dancing, he wasn't even touching her. I saw both of his hands waving around so it's not like he was groping her.

What is with these guys wearing sunglasses on their foreheads at night? It's night and pitch dark so just take them off!

Poor Lolo - her brother totally ditched her so he could get drunk and then tried to pass it off as not being able to find any guys that were good enough for her to dance with. I wonder if she's really even his sister. I wouldn't put it past TLC to hire an actress to pretend she's related to someone we've seen on the show before. It was nice seeing Sophia again but I was surprised that Sophia had to wear a very traditional/more covered up gown to the ball last year because she's a Ludar gypsy but apparently Peter was fine with his sister Lolo having bare shoulders and a Sondra Celli dress. The baby that Peter was holding in the kitchen was totally stiff so it l wouldn't be surprised if he was really holding a doll wrapped in a pink blanket.

The common thread among these girls (with the exception of Puff) is that they are so desperate to get married that they are willing to describe any guy who talks to them as a "nice guy" with "a good personality." Lolo said that about a guy whose entire conversation consisted of "Where are you from?" and "What are you doing later?" Selena said that about a guy who had said only, "Do you want to dance?"

The really sad thing is that girls like Lolo think that getting married means they are escaping and they will be free (which is exactly what Lolo said). But all they're really doing is going from having their parents/siblings control what they do to having their husbands control what they do. Instead of cleaning their parents' house, they will be cleaning their husband's house.

As usual the timeline on this show is all kinds of crazy. The narrator said that Tuter got married last year but we just saw that wedding a few episodes ago. Supposedly Sophia and Peter met at the exact same ball last year but they already have a kid. That baby looked bigger than a newborn so apparently they got married and she got pregnant like the day after the ball.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Instead of at least getting a high school diploma, they were relegated to cleaning their tiny trailers top to bottom with bleach every single day and basically being single parents when their husbands were out ripping people off or in jail for ripping people off. And no divorces, no matter how abusive the men were. I can't imagine going from basically no contact with boys at all (no holding hands, no kissing) to losing my virginity at 14/15 to some guy who, let's be honest, didn't know what the hell he was doing. I can't imagine raising four kids by myself in a trailer away from my own family. I can't imagine not having access to money or being told I wasn't allowed to earn my own money. I can't imagine wasting most of my entire day washing a fucking trailer with bleach and cooking dinner on a hot plate.

The ones here supposedly rip them out of school at a young age as well. Not sure how they are getting away with it though because of laws but we all know the Gypsy Sisters and their kids weren't very educated and were not going past whatever grade. Not like they are a great example but there are many in this show that talk about that as well. But honestly that whole section above I quoted...it can be said for other kinds of people in the US as well. Crazy wacked polygamist groups, people like the Duggars, and so on. Sure not all do it when the girls are under age but we know that some of those groups do that. While I get what you are saying it just the same things happen here and other places as well in many walks of life.

• Love 2

Why must we have to see Jacy again? She is so pathetic and dying for attention anyway she can get with her BS she spews. Saying how last year Tuter got married...yet it was not long ago we say that... so yeah timelines people. Why is basketball a boys only game? Idiot!!! And she claims she has to find her an Irish Traveler boy...yet didn't Tuter marry just some regular guy? At 14 she only wants her daughter to marry but did she get this nuts about Tuter doing so at 14? The whole royalty thing...I call BS on...and hey guess what many of us have a family crest. Heck some of us have more than one but they are real and not made up BS. God that dress was ugly. Stupid fake crest shit. UGH Hey Puff, Jacy, the 80s called and want their neon green back! Seems to me she wants her daughter married off fast so she can put in another episode for that daughter's wedding. I think if she could marry of the younger ones she would as well or sell them out in some way. She is nasty and one of the worse moms we have seen on this show I think. She expects to find her an Irish boy. PLEASE!!!! I wouldn't blame if all her kids as they are old enough find whoever and run off down the line from her crazy ass. They would be smart to do so. Her dress...eeewww lady!! PUT IT ALL AWAY!!!! She can't understand why her daughter is uncomfortable?? Gee could it be she doesn't want to do this shit and just wanted to dance around and party. Not find a stupid boy. 

UGH Lindsi eeewww sorry but she just was disgusting in so many ways and her whole head gypsy bitch in charge thing. Aren't they to old for this "gypsy ball"? Isn't it for the younger girls? Not for 30something yr olds. If they didn't find a man by that point in their "gypsy communities" maybe there is a reason for it. *coughgypsybitchcough* So the 33 yr old guy is eyeing the younger sister and the younger guy is eyeing the older one? LOL Lindsi though needs to shut the heck up though to her sisters. No wonder they aren't married yet. She butts in like she does and it puts men off her sorry pathetic self. Seems she can't handle losing control over those girls. Why does she even get to have control over them? 

Why is it that some of these girls look like they are starved? Then there are the ones that look far from it. These ones that are overly skinny though do not look healthy most the time though.

It seems Lolo is so the slave of her brother and SIL. Poor thing. Why isn't the wife doing all the cooking and cleaning as she should be? Which btw, I know timelines are so off on this as was pointed out. When did they get married and have a baby? Poor girl just wants to get the hell out of that place and not be a slave to them I am sure. She looks kind of broken in a way. That is terrible that her brother just left her to go get drunk like that. Its like you want all this control over her and who she talks to but where are you? She is following along with it too so I was glad she tried to take control for herself but that dumbass...really you didn't even look for someone for her. She finds someone and he punches the dude..WOW!! Drunk dirtbag is what her brother is. Speaking of which that boy was an Irish Traveler it said...LOL I think her brother doesn't want to lose his maid. I seriously would love to hear that she at some point runs away from her brother...even if its with a boy to just get away from him. 

And those brothers are so immature and annoying. They look like such lazy ass bums too. Selena's dress was pretty though and so was Lolo's. God these names are killing me. LOL  Agree the whole kid thing..are you kidding me? They wanted to try to just act like they were these tough guys when really they probably are far from it. Its like leave them alone as Mama said....they haven't done anything in appropriate so I don't get it. Idiots! Not like that boy looks like a catch or anything but at least he wasn't groping her or anything. 

Does anyone know when this was filmed exactly? 

What happened, they couldn't get enough drama out of this couple so they had to show clips from past shows? And this week's new tradition was just as stupid as all the others, did she really want her 15 minutes of fame so much that she let them throw red paint on her?

• Love 3

Jacy's kids' names are Alayya, Valencia, Mercedi, Savana, Rylan, Ginger, Isla, Fallon and Declan.  I think one of the kids died as a baby - I believe it was Declan. I don't know which one "Puff" is.  I'm super tired of Jacy and hope to not see her again.

So here's the scoop that I gleaned from Facebook:

- Jacy and her family aren't even Irish

- The 3 sisters, Lindsi, Lauren, and Jessica are not even real sisters.

- Lolo is supposedly a real Ludar (she says it's called "loudode" gypsy), and Selena is half rumney. 

- Lolo's brother either divorced the girl that they showed him with or they were never married.  I can't tell.  There are wedding pics with him and someone different.

A lot of people on the FB are complaining about how fake this season is.  We're not the only ones!

Edited by vavavoom
  • Love 3

vavavoom, I am just so shocked (NOT) that trashy Jacy and her family aren't Irish. I can see those 3 not being sisters. There was nothing with them that looked similar in features to say sisters. They were all WAY to different. Not to say that can't happen but with this show we know it can. LOL Oh boy another one of those was he even married to that girl and is that even his child. LOL I almost thing TLC did this on purpose this season with how over the top fake it was to be able to just cancel it. If it comes back I will be surprised. Good I am glad there are a lot calling them out for this fake shit this season. There was no way around the faking it to make us believe most things either. It doesn't help when many will look up these people and find out more about them. Then see the truth of what is up (not Irish, never will the person they married, etc). 

Thanks to those of you that have dug more all these little tidbits btw. Its been fun ready all the things that were found out and what was faker than fake. LOL 

• Love 2

It would have made more sense if they had done other episodes like this (explaining gypsy history and traditions), but plopping this turd of an episode so close to the end of the fifth season just tells me that whoever was supposed to be the other story in this episode had to be dropped for some reason and the producers had to pad the episode with voiceovers full of euphemisms (like "host countries") and footage we've already seen. 

What I don't get is why the producers use fake couples with such big age gaps. No one thought it would be problematic for this week's couple to say that they're 18 and 28 and they've been dating for a year? Frankly if my 17 year old daughter started dating a 27 year old man, I'd be more concerned with the age difference than the gypsy stuff. 

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 5

Agree the age difference is what they should be concerned about. Screw the fake ass gypsy stuff. I swear the recap of crap from those cousins..UGH The mom is like a frickin druggie. I swear Kayla looks so similar to one of the girls from the last episode that was part of the "sisters" group. Not sure what is up with all these footage from the past. Makes no sense at all. Glad I dvr this show though so I can ff through it all. LOL

This damn story of the one wanting to marry a non gypsy. Give me a damn break. This frickin pure talk makes me gag considering how the ones on this show have jumped around so much. I would bet that a girl outside their "community" is probably more pure than their nasty skanks. LOL 

Which speaking of fake with this show. I decided to look up that nasty Crazy guy...came across this https://www.instagram.com/p/xIE4uXm7Cr/?hl=en Hopefully its ok to post here. If not sorry. So another one outed as fake everything there. Then some girl was rambling on in the comments that she is related to the Stanleys and Smalls or something. It was kind of hard to grasp all that was posted by this person. She used the word "royalty" with those as well. SMH Said something about how they do finish school. How her and her husband both did but yet if that was the case I would think they would be happy to share pictures of graduations of their kids over them getting knocked up while unwed and underage. 

• Love 3

This show has never been about authentic Gypsy customs and rituals, it is a commercial for Sondra Celli. She feeds  info to the producers on who to approach for filming after she has gotten the dress order. The families are then contacted by the show and many scenes are staged or reenacted.

• Love 4

I don't know how much of this was real but it was interesting to see actual Romanian Gypsies with actual traditions and not the bullshit they spew week after week.  I would have liked to see them address the extreme prejudice against Gypsies in Romania and I would have liked to know what happened with her adoptive parents whom I am guessing were Mormon.

• Love 5

First, I was surprised by the fact that this was a 2 hour episode, whose brilliant idea was that? They could have dumped the whole sweet 16 story (show, try to remember the title is "My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding", not "Any Excuse for a Party".) & was anyone surprised by how it ended? But then, the girl & the guy probably never even met each other until they started filming, so whatever.

As for the Romanian bride story, it sounded interesting at first, but then I started thinking, why does this girl have a slight accent? Not an accent from Utah, but an accent that sound suspiciously like a lighter version of her sister's accent. You would think that someone who has been here since age 3 & been surrounded by nothing but American voices, wouldn't have an accent that doesn't really sound American, wouldn't you? So between that & the fact they never showed her adoptive parents, not even a phone call about their daughter getting married, makes me wonder how real this story was.

Other random thoughts:

After all the Gypsy wedding dresses we've seen & the whole trauma of her dress not being "big enough" & seeing it covered in gold & bling, when she gets married in Romania with real Gypsies, they put her in a simple white dress & a head scarf. Hmmm, tell me again about Gypsies & bling & big dresses.

How much did they have to pay those people to make up all the "traditions"?  

The groom speaks no Romanian, the father speaks no English, but yet they sit down together & have multiple conversations, including asking the father for permission to marry his daughter.

Where did the bride, groom, & whole film crew stay while they were in Romania? At her parents house?

• Love 3

As an anthropology student, this was interesting to me. I don't really think she had much of an accent at all, however, if she did that would not surprise me. Studies have shown that we start to "learn" our accent in the womb and the first 3 years are very very important to language and accent formation.

I also don't agree that American Gypsies are making up tradition..Well, I do and I don't. Most American gypsies trace their recent history to Britain.  Many Eastern European Gypsies came to the UK and ,after hundreds of years in Britain, their traditions changed and evolved.  Most American Gypsies are twice removed from their Eastern European tradition.  They may be 400-700 years from their Eastern European routes. IN the meantime, Romanian gypsies would also have evolved, but  to a different degree. I would not expect American Gypsy traditions to be super close to Romanian ones. 

A similar example would be European Jews. Sephardic and Ashkenazic Jews also share the same  basic roots, however, their history and locations have differed so much that they do have very different cultural practices.

• Love 2

I, too, noticed an Eastern European accent. Clear as day. No way did she come here at 3 and retain that accent! Something doesn't ring true. Maybe her bio gave her up at 3 but she spent some years in a Romanian orphanage, and they didn't want to mention that. Or else the story is contrived.

1 hour ago, balisticnikki said:

Or else the story is contrived.

Contrived????? How can that be? The show wouldn't lie to us!

My guess is that she came to the US in her early teens & stayed with the family in Utah, but she was never actually adopted.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 1

I watched this show and am normally VERY skeptical about anything from this series, but it rang somewhat authentic to me. I did not hear any trace accent. I have been around a lot of Romanian people and she does not have an accent, she just speaks in a breathless tone and doesnt talk like a hick like her groom does. I think she is  a wild child who had a falling out w her adoptive parents and thats why they dont show them. Anyways, this episode actually made me cry. I think this situation should have been filmed for a documentary much much more poignant than this stupid fake american gypsy show crap. I dont think her family is gypsy just very poor Romanians. I believe that she came to the US at 3 because if she had gone to an orphanage over there she wouldnt grow up looking this normal, trust me. She and her sister also look exactly alike. I think the sister was the translator the whole time. 

• Love 1

I too think her sister was translating the whole time. They must have been a very progressive gypsy family to allow the daughter to gave enough schooling to become fluent in English.  I caught myself dabbing my eyes a time or two and was happy she could be reunited with her family.

Also thought it was great her fiancé bought airline tickets so she could see her family. Thought the Romanian wedding was very interesting to watch, and I really liked how the fiancé was "down with it", whatever it was. Really wish there were more stories like this in lieu of trashy screaming matches and fist fights. I prefer to see more dignity brought to the portrayal of Romani diaspora. People have enough prejudice towards them without adding more fuel to the fire.

Sadly, what distresses me most about the gypsy culture is their pulling girls out of school. They claim to do it for preservation of purity, but sending the girls to a single sex school set up by their community seems to be one solution where the girls would at least have a few more life skills than a life of enslavement to a man that's going to be a jerk. I don't imagine all wives, except a fortunate few,  really benefit from patriarchy. It's all fine and dandy being the wife of a doctor or lawyer or wealthy businessman, but I imagine most gypsy men can't provide that level of living for their wives. These custom frosted meringues that Sondra Celli makes can't be cheap either.

• Love 2

I agree that the sister served as the translator between her parents and Andrada/Garrett. I didn't hear an accent when she spoke (there were moments when she sounded similar to Mila Kunis), but some people retain traces of their childhood accents. One girl I knew moved from Australia to the United States when she was very young and most of the time, she sounded American but whenever she read out loud I could hear her Australian accent creeping back (which was totally amusing in our French class).

I'm curious as to how much of her story was true. Her sister Alina looked very similar to her so I am willing to believe that they're related. But there were several things that made me wonder what was going on. Like did she suddenly learn Romanian during her short trip to Romania? I don't know how she was able to speak to her mom on the phone right before the wedding without her sister to translate. And I don't know if I buy her parents' story about why they gave her up for adoption. They were so poor that they gave her to an American family when she was three years old, but they kept her sister (who is only two years younger)?

I agree that she must have had a falling out with the American family who adopted her. The voiceover said that she never felt comfortable with them and she moved to Colorado for a fresh start. Translation: she got the fuck out of Utah the second she turned 18.

That GoFundMe page is from 18 months ago and in the description, it says that her second pregnancy was "a few years" after her first ectopic pregnancy and she refers to Garrett as her husband, so what is the actual timeline? She ran to Colorado when she was 18, immediately met Garrett, spent the next three years trying to get pregnant, and then decided at the ripe old age of 21 to ask the people of the internet to give her $14K for IVF?

Her parents can't be totally traditional gypsies if they were okay with her marrying a gorger.

Also thought it was great her fiancé bought airline tickets so she could see her family.

In theory, yes, but let's be real. Garrett and Andrada were both living at his mom's house, so does he really have the money to buy two last minute plane tickets to Romania? Let's be real - TLC paid for their entire trip.

• Love 3

Am I the only one that noticed that when Andrada was leaving Sondra Celli's after hating her dress, she was wearing something on her right ankle that looked suspiciously like one of those police ankle monitor things? I rewound it 3 times and I can't think of anything else it could be. 

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Cabarb said:

Am I the only one that noticed that when Andrada was leaving Sondra Celli's after hating her dress, she was wearing something on her right ankle that looked suspiciously like one of those police ankle monitor things? I rewound it 3 times and I can't think of anything else it could be. 

I just tried looking at it in this video of the episode (she's leaving around 17:45) & I don't see a scene where they show her ankle. Am I missing it? I did notice that her manicure perfectly matches the colors of the dress though, pretty good trick for someone who's never seen the dress before. What a coincidence.

• Love 1
On 9/5/2016 at 0:51 PM, whydoiwatchthis said:

Although she is much calmer than most of the people on this show, I found her to be very entitled and whiny.  Apparently she was already begging for money for fertility treatments 18 months ago ...

I just watched this and that is how I felt too. She was just constantly this isn't what I want WAH and my bio family isn't coming now WAH. She has a MIL to be (supposedly) trying to comfort her on things but its sort of a cold bitch about it. This whole Aladdin and Jasmine thing.....does she know that they aren't from Romania? I'm not getting how she figured she was "gypsy". Plus seemed bitter towards her adopted family..not sure why either other than she claims she just didn't feel she fit in. I have a hard time believe she didn't fit in either with those in the area she grew up. Now if she has always been whiny and entitled I can see why people would though. Plus how the hell did she know that was her bio family? I question it all because to me if I was adopted and had someone contact me that way I would want proof....blood tests and such to make sure. 

I am only half way through it as I have not had time to watch it all but I also am not hearing the accent that would come off Romanian. 

2 hours ago, GaT said:

I just tried looking at it in this video of the episode (she's leaving around 17:45) & I don't see a scene where they show her ankle. Am I missing it? I did notice that her manicure perfectly matches the colors of the dress though, pretty good trick for someone who's never seen the dress before. What a coincidence.

I caught it. Its before they walk in to see the dress. I didn't notice the nail color but funny. Which it could be she said she wanted that shade since it was suppose to be "Jasmine" like and she just is one of those that wears that color all the time. *rollseyes* I knew a girl in junior high that did that with a dark blue polish ALL the dang time. It was pretty lame. I still can't stand that color thanks to her. LOL So now back to the show, the question is, if she is wearing some ankle monitor, what was it for and how was she able to just travel like she did? I was hoping some of you good at digging up the truth on these people on the show would have found some out on this one and posted it. LOL 

• Love 1

I went back and rewatched. I was mistaken - it was actually the mother-in-law that was wearing it. Andrada had on jeans in that scene. I took a picture of my tv screen but I keep getting an error that the pic size is too big to post. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Evil Queen said:

Plus how the hell did she know that was her bio family? I question it all because to me if I was adopted and had someone contact me that way I would want proof....blood tests and such to make sure. 

Her sister looks enough like her that they couldn't be anything but relatives, but that doesn't mean she's here sister & not a cousin or something else, & there's no way for us to know if her family is really her family.

I finally saw the ankle thing on the way in, & I can't tell what it is.

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 6:42 AM, Gyproselee said:

What happened to the bling necklace? The brides mom put it on her before they left in the " sleigh" but it was not on at the wedding.

Another ancient and venerated Gypsy tradition. It was buried in horse shit during the wedding. They dig it up when the bride has her first child. The encrusted necklace is "read" to reveal the god awful name they'll call their kid.

On 9/7/2016 at 9:42 AM, Gyproselee said:

What happened to the bling necklace? The brides mom put it on her before they left in the " sleigh" but it was not on at the wedding.

On 10/3/2016 at 4:33 PM, Giselle said:

Another ancient and venerated Gypsy tradition. It was buried in horse shit during the wedding. They dig it up when the bride has her first child. The encrusted necklace is "read" to reveal the god awful name they'll call their kid.

On 9/7/2016 at 9:42 AM, Gyproselee said:

How cool to learn that! Thanks.

When Chelsea came to visit her mother after the wedding, I could see that she'd fallen in love with Tony. It was all over her. I would love to know if they're expecting to have a baby, anytime soon.

Saw/listened to this episode while feeling like crap (again).  

How wouldn't they know that the flowers would be dead or wilted within a day or so?  I mean anyone who's had flowers in a vase knows that after about day 2 you're pulling out something wilted or dead and that is with water in the vase.  Who dreams of having a dress covered in flowers?  The fabric had to be filled with holes after taking off the first set of flowers, then stitching the next set onto the fabric.  

Most of the weddings are sparsely attended.  The ones in a church, small church, most of the pews in the back are empty.  The wedding receptions do not seem to have that many people either. The Sweet Sixteen parties seem to have more attendance, but it's more like a speed dating meet up.  Come and check out my daughter, she's on the market!!

The producers seem to be suggesting more outrageous dress designs to their brides or 'debutantes'; more outrageous = bigger ratings I guess to the producers.  We've seen light up dresses, candy, flowers, huge dresses that cannot fit in a door or car.  (I love how the brides ride in the back of a pick up or even klassier - a flatbed semi).  What's next, dresses with smart phones attached or notebooks?  I guess the most shocking would be for a bride to have a typical wedding gown.  Maybe Pnina can do a cross over?

As for flower bride already being pregnant, I thought all good gypsy girls had to be pure, pure, pure, pure??

• Love 1

Ok, the producers owe me a new lung.  I had already been coughing all day, then I turned on the rerun of this episode.  I see Crazy Swayze with his best man, all in their day glo finest suits (who makes suits in those colors?), complete with baseball caps on backwards, and one of them has a sucker in his mouth. I was laughing so hard, then coughing for a good 15 minutes.   Of course there looked to be well under 50 people there total, on a lawn or cow field, with a smattering of white chairs in rows.   The bride wasn't a gypsy, had never met him in person.  (Who says oh yes, I'll marry you, sight unseen??)  She had some huge assed crown and gown.  

Supposedly the tradition is that they wear the 'blingiest', biggest, most outrageous gowns to show that they have money.  The dresses look like crap for the most part.  Huge, ginormous, tacky, bedazzled gown, and the rest of the wedding maybe cost $100.  I especially love the drive to the venue when mom rents a flat bed truck.  That sure is klassy.

Do they have jobs (the menfolk, of course) to pay for the gowns?  The womenfolk just clean, clean, clean, clean and pop out kids.  

• Love 1
On 2/17/2018 at 8:41 AM, hoosier80 said:

As for flower bride already being pregnant, I thought all good gypsy girls had to be pure, pure, pure, pure??

Which to me this kind of stuff is a big give away that its far from them being real gypsies. Either that or the next gen are just not what they once were with following the rules of being a true gypsy. From some of the ones here that have dug around online, it sounded like most weren't gypsy at all and some of these couples (if not most) didn't even know each other like they made it sound. Which its no wonder some of us question any "reality" show and what is being shown to us. They are far from the REALity part and more into just being another scripted show. 

On 2/22/2018 at 2:36 PM, hoosier80 said:

Ok, the producers owe me a new lung.  I had already been coughing all day, then I turned on the rerun of this episode.  I see Crazy Swayze with his best man, all in their day glo finest suits (who makes suits in those colors?), complete with baseball caps on backwards, and one of them has a sucker in his mouth. I was laughing so hard, then coughing for a good 15 minutes.   Of course there looked to be well under 50 people there total, on a lawn or cow field, with a smattering of white chairs in rows.   The bride wasn't a gypsy, had never met him in person.  (Who says oh yes, I'll marry you, sight unseen??)  She had some huge assed crown and gown.  

Supposedly the tradition is that they wear the 'blingiest', biggest, most outrageous gowns to show that they have money.  The dresses look like crap for the most part.  Huge, ginormous, tacky, bedazzled gown, and the rest of the wedding maybe cost $100.  I especially love the drive to the venue when mom rents a flat bed truck.  That sure is klassy.

Do they have jobs (the menfolk, of course) to pay for the gowns?  The womenfolk just clean, clean, clean, clean and pop out kids.  

LMAO OMG I am laughing at your comments here. I pictured them in a cow field trying not to step in it. LMAO

And sadly there are those that will marry sight unseen. Hell we have a show for that too, Married at First Sight. Of course I don't buy they just met for the first time at the alter since they claim its a "real" marriage and in most, if not all states you have to be together to get a marriage license. As well as the Aussie version a lady outted how much they did retakes on the wedding and other scenes. So yea, even that is bs. Yet you do have to wonder why anyone would marry someone without knowing them....any tv show or otherwise. LOL 

Couldn't agree more on the gowns and way they get to the wedding. LOL And yes what do these "men" do for jobs? LOL 

On 3/12/2015 at 11:55 PM, GaT said:

A wedding.

Nice to see a mother force her 16 years old daughter to marry her cousin. it's the American way.

I usually take these shows with a grain of salt, however, I do know there's a 'gypsy community' (in Britain, at least) so I wonder about some of their customs. Would a gypsy truly encourage marriage to a cousin? (I don't care if they're once or twice removed.) There are studies that show the closer the lineage when having children, the more likely the negative genetics will come out. Have you seen kids born to a family that has married within itself for generations? It is not attractive, and their intelligence is borderline. (Check out some of the Amish outcomes). I know I have heard many of the gypsy kids drop out of school early, even after grade 6, but is it because they truly can't learn?

19 hours ago, Chalby said:

I know I have heard many of the gypsy kids drop out of school early, even after grade 6, but is it because they truly can't learn?

There have been episodes where some girls want to continue their schooling.  It isn't that they can't learn, it's that their parents take them out of school once they're old enough to work.

Talk about Season 6 here!

Episode 1:

"The Ultimate Gypsy-Gorger-Gypsy Love Triangle"

Cearia is torn between her gorger fiancé Sam and her gypsy cousin Kyle; traveler mom Angie throws 18-year-old Jewel a party to find a husband.

Airs October 21, 2018.

• Love 1