Type keyword(s) to search

My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I agree. There are lots of existing gypsy traditions that they could explain instead of making up new stuff (the bells from a few weeks ago come to mind). Ha, remember last season when they made someone made a huge deal about how the fiance has to bring the family a bottle of super special wine and it turned out to be something you can get at Trader Joe's? Never heard of that tradition before that episode and haven't heard it mentioned since!

Almond wine that you can get a single-serve bottle on line for about $5.00. And "The Knocking" (on a motel door) also from last season?

Just got a chance to see this ep- so I ended up inadvertently involved with the Alyssa mess. My office was having our office Christmas party at the bar that they showed in the exterior shot (a neighborhood favorite with party and event spaces), which was NOT the same place where the bachelor party was filmed. Two different places. Anyway, I went to the bathroom and there was a whole group of Snooki looking girls in the bathroom, tarted up in black and bling, and behaving badly. After the party, some of us went into the actual bar, and these girls were in the corner being obnoxious with a guy filming. Not a big crew or anything, just a guy with a camera, so we didn't think much of it. One of my coworkers went out for a smoke break, and the cameraman and another TLC guy were out there and told her they were filming for this show. None of us knew the girls involved at this point. It was also snowing like crazy, and the roads were starting to get bad, so we all left.

When I got home, I posted a comment on Facebook about the roads being bad and about the Snooki girls at the bar behaving badly apparently being filmed for the show. I didn't name anyone by name because I didn't know them, just saying they were trashy looking girls acting like trash, which they were. A friend of a FB friend, who I didn't know, starting posting nasty comments, saying she was the bride's cousin, and that based on my profile pic, I shouldn't be insulting anyone's appearance, and other bullshit. I blocked her (only my 2nd FB block ever!). That bachelorette/birthday party is apparently in an upcoming episode, even though it happened before the wedding, so Ill be curious to see if any of us are in it, as we were just a few feet away from them in the bar. There were no releases that I'm aware of, and the camera was facing away from us.

I have friends in the state police, and that weekend one emailed me the police report from the fight the morning after. It made the local news.

A few random thoughts-
-The chyrons kept saying "Uniontown, PA" and showing shots of downtown Uniontown, when the families and places (except for the wedding venue) were in Connelsville, another town about 10 miles away.
-TLC apparently paid for the wedding gown, the Boston trip, and the Wedding/reception. That venue, The Stone House, is actually nice (the summer before a friend of mine ended up between John Boehner and a secret service guy at the urinals when some big political thing was going on at the resort up the road) and the management was not happy about how this all went down. Apparently TLC paid a big deposit.
-The bride was looking for a hairstylist on FB the night before the wedding- you had to sign a release to get the job.
-the groom got a horrible tattoo in some guys basement shop the day before the wedding
-I've never heard anyone refer to the police as the "musters" before. That's oddly hilarious since the wedding venue is only about a mile or two away from the site of George Washington's only surrender in battle- during the French and Indian war. It seemed like a very historical sort of slang word, not something I'd expect as a gypsy thing.
-the whole gypsy culture isn't really a thing here, but trashy people certainly are. We were all surprised when TLC showed up around town- not because there aren't plenty of TLC-worthy families around here, but because you don't really hear about gypsies here.
-The bride works (worked?) at Dairy Queen and had a baby recently. Not sure if it's the grooms. I'm surprised they didn't mention that. The groom was fired from Walmart a few weeks before the wedding. You saw their respective houses, there's no way they paid for any of this.
-The brides mother and grandmother have their careers on FB listed as "TLC Actress"

Edited by Shibori
  • Love 2

Ha, thanks for all the behind the scenes info! If they got married in December and recently had a baby (three months after the wedding), it's just one more example of the myth of gypsy purity.

I've never heard anyone refer to the police as the "musters" before.

They refer to the police as muskers. I think they may have explained why on the British version but if they did I am sure it made as much sense as brushing your teeth with bleach or purifying yourself with goat milk.

Huh. Apparently muskers is gypsy slang, but musters is also a word that would sort of make sense, in a historical recreationist sort of way? I was giving them too much credit. Heh. I grew up here and never heard either word used that way before tonight. See? TLC *is* the Learning Channel!

It's even worse-she had the baby before the wedding- but not long before. Maybe a few days. I just thought it was odd they much such a big deal about the other girls kids, but didn't mention Alyssa's at all.

1796588_1586050565000119_691973465031359

Edited by Shibori

This episode was just weird. Another crazy gypsy tradition we never heard of? Honey? WTF? So all that fuss for Trooper's wedding (dress, venue, etc) and nothing happened. They just went to the courthouse the next day and that was it? What a letdown. Poor Sondra, all that blinging and that fancy honey pot bouquet was for nothing because of the hot temper and apparently foul mouth of the bride (every other word was a bleep). 

The other wedding, that of the sisters had the prospective grooms drinking some crazy liver-water concoction. Seems like every area has their own funky traditions that are shown once and never mentioned again. Sounds made up for TV. The one groom's sister, Rissa , was totally out of line. It's one thing if she didn't like her new SIL, but to blatantly get in everyone's face and try to ruin the wedding was awful. Was she too stupid to realize she was ruining her brother's day too? What a loser.

Wonder what next week's new and previously unheard of gypsy traditions will be..

This episode was just weird. Another crazy gypsy tradition we never heard of? Honey? WTF? So all that fuss for Trooper's wedding (dress, venue, etc) and nothing happened. They just went to the courthouse the next day and that was it? What a letdown. Poor Sondra, all that blinging and that fancy honey pot bouquet was for nothing because of the hot temper and apparently foul mouth of the bride (every other word was a bleep). 

The other wedding, that of the sisters had the prospective grooms drinking some crazy liver-water concoction. Seems like every area has their own funky traditions that are shown once and never mentioned again. Sounds made up for TV. The one groom's sister, Rissa , was totally out of line. It's one thing if she didn't like her new SIL, but to blatantly get in everyone's face and try to ruin the wedding was awful. Was she too stupid to realize she was ruining her brother's day too? What a loser.

Wonder what next week's new and previously unheard of gypsy traditions will be..

I guess this is this season's theme, "Gypsy traditions" which they make up for the show. I don't want to see stupid traditions that they made up for the show. I wonder how real Rissa was, she was acting just as Gypsy as the Gypsies were so I wonder if it was all a setup.

Anybody else surprised that the other bride was 31 years old? Is this her third marriage?

I thought Tony was kinda hot.  

Chelsy was cute but she inherited her mom's mustache. 

I love all of the dramatic editing when Sondra reveals the dress.  I can only think of one girl who wasn't enthused with her dress - the gorger girl that had to be baked by that gypsy mom in TN or NC.  Am I remembering correctly?

Edited by vavavoom

On a shallow note, what the hell is with all these girls and their overplucked eyebrows?

I was fixated on eyebrows the entire episode!

I loved the groom's short friend yelling during the fight that he was gonna fuck everybody up!  He was like 5 feet tall, 105 pounds looking like Justin Bieber.  Who are you fighting?

• Love 2

I was fixated on eyebrows the entire episode!

I loved the groom's short friend yelling during the fight that he was gonna fuck everybody up! He was like 5 feet tall, 105 pounds looking like Justin Bieber. Who are you fighting?

And then flips the table as he gets pulled away. It's funny how people turn into badasses as soon as their buddies start breaking it up.

• Love 1

Did anyone else get nervous and worried for newborn baby Harmony at Kayla's house when she was being flopped around with no support under her head?

Edited by rur

I didn't care so much for the, um, tropical dresses, but I did think the bridal gown (in the article) was lovely -- if the "Baby Phatt" and the cat were removed, anyway. Over in the Say Yes to the Dress thread, a frequent topic of conversation is girls who want to look like princesses but end up buying dresses that make them look like strippers. The dress in the article really does have most of the characteristics of a "princess" dress. It would be lovely even if the skirt size were reduced. 

Most of the other dresses shown on the page, though? Not quite as fetching, at least not to me. 

Edited by rur
(edited)

VO: "In ancient times prospective brides had to make traditional gypsy stew using Hillshire Farms sausage and canned whole tomatoes."

Yet another "Ancient gypsy tradition" THE GRAVELING! (sarcasim)

Edited by xls
  • Love 1

It’s called a DENTIST people, find one & go to them.

This used to be a fun show, but this season is so stupid, I may not be watching anymore. Both stories with their “proving” that someone is good enough for the Gypsy ways is just annoying & dumb.

• Love 3

This used to be a fun show, but this season is so stupid, I may not be watching anymore. Both stories with their “proving” that someone is good enough for the Gypsy ways is just annoying & dumb.

Guess the writers went on strike.  This show passed being dumb and stupid a long time ago.  All the made-up shit that they are calling tradition is just that made up shit!  Find a damn dentist!  I also call bullshit on the girls being pure and 15/16.  Never seen a tatted up 15/16 year olds like I do on this show.  It is no longer on my list of shows.  It is just something to catch during commercial time on another show.

Bye bye shit!

One other thing, prove that they are good enough to marry a gypsy?  What shit is that?  Seems like too many of them go to jail and prison for fraud, theft and a host of other things.  

Had to de-lurk to say that the apparent Gypsy traditions and beliefs are so bogus. Babysitter dude's mom said the couple should just live together for a few years before getting married, but I remember Annie's mom saying in a previous season that living together unwed is a big no-no for gypsies. At this point, it's just comical how they contradict their beliefs in every episode.

The whole prove your commitment by gravelling was ridiculous, too. I wonder if he had to do a bad job and overcharge them as well...you know, in keeping with tradition.

• Love 1

Why don't you prove that you're good enough to marry me?  What in the hell?  These gypsies and their tests.  I fast-forwarded through the graveling crap.  The TN bride's dress was one of the nicest that I've seen on this show.  Shocking! Was her sister the one that wanted to be a model or was that yet another sibling?  So far we've had the model, the gorger-marrying bride, and the boy who married the redhead.

I think I'll drop my consulting job and become a gypsy dentist.  I'm horrified by the teeth every episode.  

The ending of the Indiana wedding was dumb.  So the maid of honor gives a (traditional :)) thank you speech at the end of the wedding and snubs the bride's mom?  Then she and the bride get into a fight?  I loved how the bride was stepping all over her dress when she was walking down the aisle!  

(edited)

A Gypsy woman gets married to a gorger, but their families aren't too thrilled about it; a Gypsy mother tries to make up for being absent from her twin daughters' lives by throwing them a lavish birthday party when they turn 18.

Edited by OnceSane
added episode description

It gets more and more ridiculous, now the guys have to drink boiled laundry juice?  

Oh, lord, the draaaaaama. I just can't with these ridiculous "traditions" and I don't mean drinking a jar of pickle juice or whatever. "He proposed to you behind my back?" Hahahahaha. How dare your relationship not include your mother? Then for her mother to say "Neither of you did this right," as if her daughter had any prior knowledge that he was going to propose. It would be laughable if it weren't so ridiculous.

Two positive things about this week's couples: I was surprised that both brides were so much older than the teenagers we have seen getting married (especially on the British version of the show) and there was almost no drama about either of the brides trying to fit into their limousines.

The conversation between Sondra Celli and Sasha was so fake. They were obviously taped at separate times. But it always cracks me up when these girls who have never spoken to Sondra call and say, "Hey, Sondra, it's Sasha," as if they're old friends and they're just calling to chat. I was totally confused when Sondra said Danielle's dress would have vertical ruffles.

By the way, Sondra, the word is "congratulations." Yes, with an S at the end.

And how fucking hilarious is it that Jacob the gorger is getting an education so he can have, you know, A JOB as a teacher, but his family thinks that knowing how to rake gravel will guarantee that he can provide for Sasha?

I have no problem with guys changing their last names but I don't think it's the place of either the bride's parents or the groom's parents to make that decision. Sasha's mother shouldn't be demanding it and Jacob's parents shouldn't be "putting their foot down" and saying he can't. The only people who should be having that discussion are Sasha and Jacob. I kind of wish they had gone the Phoebe Buffet route and changed their last name to Bananahammock just to spite everyone.

As a feminist, I would just like to point out that most of the objections that Jacob's family had about him changing his last name weren't even good arguments ("Our family name is important to us." "You're a [last name]. You're not changing your last name." "Blood's thicker than water. You are not changing your name.") I have heard much more intelligent reasoning applied when women decide to keep their maiden names (and even then it drives me crazy that women have to rationalize and explain why they are keeping their last names but men never have to).

I don't like when theme weddings get too costume-y but I didn't mind Sasha and Jacob's 20s theme. I'd rather see bridesmaids and guests in flapper dresses than the usual skanky outfits and shirtless guys. See that, guys? You can wear suits to a wedding! And wear them the entire time!

Ha, Sasha's mom is such a drama queen. She stormed out and said she was leaving but then of course she came back in. Yes, your daughter's wedding should be all about YOU.

Kody can STFU. "As long as you do whatever my mom says, it should be fine." Spoken like a 23 year old who still lives at home. Kody's mom can also STFU. How different can Danielle's gypsy taste from Kody's mom's gypsy stew when all she did was dump prepackaged crap in a pan and stir until it was hot?

Stella sure got uppity for someone who slept with her friend's husband. I give Louann some credit for saying that she needed to get past it for the sake of their kids.

The grammar on this show just kills my ears. "My momma who borned us." Okay, maid of honor.

That "Our mama who borned us" line killed me too. And I know we've seen the blonde mom (the one who wanted her new son-in-law to change his name) before.

She's been on twice. Once was for her teenage son that was marrying the red-haired gypsy girl that wanted to get an education. They were in a long-distance relationship. The second time was for the daughter that wanted to be a model. They traveled to NYC to do a photo shoot.

She's been on twice. Once was for her teenage son that was marrying the red-haired gypsy girl that wanted to get an education. They were in a long-distance relationship. The second time was for the daughter that wanted to be a model. They traveled to NYC to do a photo shoot.

I remember he now, she was all for the girl being a model, so now she's pretending that life has to be the gypsy way?

More producer editing shenanigans. None of the talking heads said that Dallas came strutting in during the ceremony, but that's certainly what TPTB wanted us to believe from the footage. In the shot of Lottie and the bridesmaids approaching the groom you can see Dallas already there, standing on a chair over by Nettie. You can also see her behind Tanya when Tanya is supposedly looking at her arriving. As if Dallas didn't bring enough drama.

Either Whitey and Lottie were already married or they just got started on kids before they married. I seem to remember Nettie posting on her FB some time back about her son and daughter-in-law expecting a boy, and she mentioned the name Lottie. Pretty sure she's been on a Gypsy Sisters show before. There's a Lottie Smith on FB with 2 boys, pictures look like her.

Did anybody else think Whitey looked like Christopher Penn circa Footloose when he was dancing along in his vest with the sunglasses on before the wedding? Just me then.

Ah, the ancient gypsy tradition of Egg in the Basket.

Thats gypsy toast now! Oh and the throwing things in a fire ritual-where have I seen that before? 

WTH is  up with the objections to Todd's marriage when they've been living together for years and have two kids? The die is cast already.

That was the best brawl of the series, tho, I must say!

Edited by xls
  • Love 2

WTH is  up with the objections to Todd's marriage when they've been living together for years and have two kids? The die is cast already.

That's what I wondered too. They always go on & on about how Gypsy girls are so pure, so she would rather them be unmarried with two kids instead of married with two kids? I was surprised the mom didn't pull out some Gypsy "tradition" for him to prove himself.

As for the twins party, like I really believe there was a Gorger guest there who talked trash about the girls. 

• Love 1

As for the twins party, like I really believe there was a Gorger guest there who talked trash about the girls.

And calmly posed there until the camera was ready to capture the confrontation!

That said, I posted back in Ep. 4 about how my office's Christmas party randomly got sucked into the filming for the twins episodes. The mom here, Angelina, is always stirring shit on her FB page and starting or getting into fights. Frankly, I'm surprised she's only done time once. They're a classy bunch, to say the least.

Wasn't the bride's mom the same one who wanted to bring hay to the hospital when her other daughter had a baby a few episodes back? And before that we had the double wedding episode.

Tlc really needs to find some new gypsy families to film. We keep getting the same few over & over. Its like they go to EVERY member of a family & say 'ok, what bullshit storyline can we make up for you?'

• Love 1

That romney lifestyle ain't no joke.  Damn! Those women do not age well--AT ALL! There are very few half-way attractive looking women--and even that's debatable.  I can only think of Nettie and JoAnn...

• Love 1

That's what I wondered too. They always go on & on about how Gypsy girls are so pure, so she would rather them be unmarried with two kids instead of married with two kids? I was surprised the mom didn't pull out some Gypsy "tradition" for him to prove himself.

Maybe that's a big difference between Roma gypsy and Romanichals (Rumneys).  If you look at the episodes with more Romas, they are more about purity and keeping the girls at home until a man is found FOR them.  Rumney rules seem to be made up as they go along. 

I loved Tatiana and Zuki. They were so normal and genuinely in love. I teared up when he first saw her and his reaction made her emotional. It's a shame TLC couldn't find more gypsies like these. Real gypsies in love and getting married, not just a staged wedding with guests in t-shirts and jeans. I guess that's why they had to make the drama about the dress, these people weren't going to ruin the wedding by providing fake animosity. And even though that dress was ridiculously large, it's what she wanted and she didn't complain or whine about it. Her makeup and hair in Boston when she was walking down the street with the dress on did look better than at the wedding.

A couple of the mothers were ridiculous. First they spare no expense to dress up their daughters, do hair & makeup, bling'em out to the nth degree to parade them around the ball in hopes of attracting a man, then get upset & throw a hissy fit when they do! Umm, wasn't that the whole idea? Duh!

• Love 6

Why does this have to be filmed in my hometown? I have never (not that I've known of) met or seen a gypsy. Why would you take a 14 year old to this mess? Why am I watching and how can I make money on this? I have a sewing machine....I should get a glue gun.

• Love 4

A couple of the mothers were ridiculous. First they spare no expense to dress up their daughters, do hair & makeup, bling'em out to the nth degree to parade them around the ball in hopes of attracting a man, then get upset & throw a hissy fit when they do! Umm, wasn't that the whole idea? Duh!

Maybe it's because the moms weren't approached first?  I'm speculating, I'm not off work yet, but will see the episode when I get home :-)

I know, what's the point? The mom with the cowgirl daughter was insane, she is demanding that her daughter & husband live with her forever? And isn't 18 old for a Gypsy to be unmarried?

I noticed something last night between episodes.  Crystal is the mother of both Chelsey AND Julie.  Which means Tils (crazy traditional grandmother) is grandmother to both.

So I beg the question: If Chelsey was the eldest, and the "wild child", why the hell wasn't Tils all over that girl?!  Julie had bells sewn into her dress to show purity, why not Chelsey?  And why didn't Tils pick her husband like she wants to do for Julie?

You can see Chelsey at Julie's party, but is she married at that point?  The dates and inconsistencies suck

Simple answer: It didn't fit the narrative.  I know it's pointless to try to figure it out because TPTB are fabricating these storylines for our entertainment, but Julie was turning 16 in her episode, and I thought I heard Crystal say that Chelsey was 16.

There's one thing I noticed at Harmony's baptism, Julie's party and Chelsey's wedding that I don't recall ever seeing at any Stanley-related events - the diversity of the attendees. 

• Love 1

So now we have the ancient gypsy tradition of squeezing a lemon on someone's doorstep to sour their relationship. Where were all of these traditions in previous seasons?

I'm sure you all caught the preview for the next season of Gypsy Sisters. Kayla and Nettie fighting. Again.cmaybe they need to bring back cousin Sheena or find a new gypsy cousin to inject some life into this show. It's getting repetitive. The only new angle seems to be Dallas being on her mom's in the war against Kayla.

• Love 1

So I finally saw the show last night.

-Holy hell, HeeHaw Mommy has some balls.  A Gypsy boy has to live with THEM and take care of the place and work?!  Of course, I didn't see Daddy in the picture.  That explains a lot.  Girlie finds a guy and mom freaks the hell out.  Ugh....

-So the 14 year old can't marry the gorger, but if a Romney guy wanted her that night, it would have been allowed?!  Hypocrites.  I saw go with the gorger, at least he probably has higher than a 6th grade education and a clean criminal background check.

-Massive props to the gorger adopted girl.  Yeah, cleaning and taking care of a man who supplies ill gotten gains.  Sign my happy ass up :-p

-I liked Sophia.  She wants to find a man according to her own terms, and wants back in her community's favor.  The Romanian Gypsies seem more conservative and have better established traditions, unlike the Romneys (Meillie keeps f*cking around and no one is shunning her)  Her gown was lovely.  I hope Peter treats her right.

• Love 1