Type keyword(s) to search

2017 Awards Season

• Start Topic

On 2/23/2017 at 5:50 PM, scarynikki12 said:

If that's what needs to happen to get Moonlight to defeat La La Land, then please wait! 

You're welcome  ;)  In a few months you can start sending me requests for 2017 movies that you don't want me to watch. *sigh*

Aside from the crazy mix up (thuganomics85, I agree that I'm glad they didn't win, but I feel bad for them), I thought it was a great show. I was happy with Jimmy's performance. We laughed a lot.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 3

That was fantastic live television but awful at the same time as it was real people's emotions and careers.  I feel sorry for everyone involved.  Congrats to Moonlight and kudos to the La La Land producers for being so classy.  The narrative should be Moonlight's historic win but instead it'll be about envelope-gate, which is a shame.  While I am as curious as anyone about what the hell happened I hope there are also articles out there dedicated to Moonlight and Moonlight alone.  Moonlight deserves the Spotlight.  (See what I did there?). And although Barry Jenkins didn't win best director I'm happy he won for screenplay.  On to La La Land,  I've been critical but given its 14 nominations there was no way it was going to get shut out and I can't really complain about the awards it did win (Basically anything other than sound or screenplay).  And finally, thank you Viola Davis for being Viola Davis.  Now she's a triple crown winning actress.  Someone get the woman a spoken word album deal stat so she can complete the EGOT herself.  

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 11

I wish Beatty or Dunaway had simply read what was on the card " Emma Stone for LaLa Land"...Somebody would have figured it out.

That was the script they were handed, wasn't it?

Method actors I tell ya.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 6

So, the 2nd Envelope (presumably for the other side of the stage) for Actress in a Leading Role wasn't immediately removed/destroyed?

Then it was handed to Beatty, and neither the person handing it to him, or he himself read the covering envelope that said Actress in a Leading Role?

Then he opens the envelope, and realizes the card isn't correct (as he checks back in the envelope to see if there's something else, but panics and doesn't state that he doesn't have the right card, but gives it to Dunway when she says, "You're Impossible" (does she think he's doing a bit?)?

Dunway then proceeds to scan the card for the Movie Title, and just reads off La La Land, not from the top down noticing that Emma Stone was on there?

PWC then scrambles backstage for two minutes (presumably to find the correct envelope), instead of storming the stage declaring that it wasn't correct, allowing the La La Land producers to start their speaches?

A LOT of things had to fall for it to make it to the level it did.

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, Traveller519 said:

So, the 2nd Envelope (presumably for the other side of the stage) for Actress in a Leading Role wasn't immediately removed/destroyed?

Then it was handed to Beatty, and neither the person handing it to him, or he himself read the covering envelope that said Actress in a Leading Role?

Then he opens the envelope, and realizes the card isn't correct (as he checks back in the envelope to see if there's something else, but panics and doesn't state that he doesn't have the right card, but gives it to Dunway when she says, "You're Impossible" (does she think he's doing a bit?)?

Dunway then proceeds to scan the card for the Movie Title, and just reads off La La Land, not from the top down noticing that Emma Stone was on there?

PWC then scrambles backstage for two minutes (presumably to find the correct envelope), instead of storming the stage declaring that it wasn't correct, allowing the La La Land producers to start their speaches?

A LOT of things had to fall for it to make it to the level it did.

People are speculating that the PWC employee who had the second Best Actress envelope was too busy taking a photo of Emma Stone and her Oscar, and posting it to twitter, to remember to remove the envelope. No idea if that's true, but I wouldn't like to be that guy or gal right now.

And everything that happened after that seems more like the collective brainfart that can occur when you're on live TV being watched by millions, and something has just gone completely tits up. Beatty knew he had the wrong card, but didn't seem able to figure out what to do, PWC knew the wrong card had been read, but didn't seem able to figure out what to do. 

I hope people don't keep focusing on this as a way to bash... well, whoever they want to bash. I've seen a lot of it online already, calling Beatty or Dunaway names, saying Horowitz was an ass about it, and (worst of all) some idiots who seem to genuinely think this was a last second switcheroo in the name of political correctness.

But mostly, I want people to refocus on what was truly important last night. Namely, that Matt Damon is a terrible person.

• Love 14
4 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

But mostly, I want people to refocus on what was truly important last night. Namely, that Matt Damon is a terrible person.

LOL. Are you Jimmy Kimmel? 

Seriously, I really liked Damon until he showed his privileged white male, mansplaining, "Black woman, let me tell you what diversity means" ass. 

• Love 11
1 minute ago, topanga said:

LOL. Are you Jimmy Kimmel? 

Seriously, I really liked Damon until he showed his privileged white male, mansplaining, "Black woman, let me tell you what diversity means" ass. 

I like Matt Damon, but he has the same tendency of many celebrities (most of whom always have people agreeing with them) to spout off about things they perhaps shouldn't, because they don't really know what they're talking about. I can't hold that against him, because they all do it. Hell, I think most of us non-celebs do it at times as well.

Well, when I say 'like', I mean, he's done pretty well for a man with no talent.

• Love 6

Some non-"Best Picture Reveal Fiasco" thoughts.

• Auli'i Cravalho is going to have casting directors for stage and film beating down a path to her door

• I thought having Timberlake open the show was a good change up from the standard filmed bits, takes a bit of the seriousness out of everything by getting the whole crowd up and moving, and knocks off one of the song performances.

• I kind of missed the extended Best Picture features interspersed through the proceedings.

• Viola Davis' speach was so good except for the "as artists we are the only profession that celebrates what it means to live a life" line, which made me (and other's I've read cringe). A simple change to "we are so fortunate as artists to be able to unearth these stories and celebrate what it means to live a life" would have worked better with her overall theme and not come across so "us vs them"

• The Kimmel-Damon fued bits were incredibly enjoyable to me from the bigger (the Orchestra bit) to the simple (the trip)

• Who would have ever thought Busy Philipps would be sitting front row at the Oscars?

Edited by Traveller519
  • Love 4
27 minutes ago, Traveller519 said:
  • Auli'i Cravalho is going to have casting directors for stage and film beating down a path to her door

In all the drama I've forgotten to express my pride in seeing her command such a big stage and deal with what at the time looked to be the snafu of the night when she got bonked with that flag with total grace and poise. If this young woman doesn't become a star, there is no justice in this world.

• Love 14

Notably, Colleen Atwood won Costume Design in a year that Sandy Powell wasn't nominated, bringing an end to that enjoyable bit of trivia.

And Kevin O'Connell is no longer the reigning Oscar bridesmaid.

• Love 3

And finally, thank you Viola Davis for being Viola Davis.  Now she's a triple crown winning actress.  Someone get the woman a spoken word album deal stat so she can complete the EGOT herself.  

Can you win for some kind of narration?

10 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Can you win for some kind of narration?

Kate Winslet also.  Interestingly enough, she's only a Tony away from her own EGOT thanks to a Grammy win for spoken word work.  

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 1
(edited)

OK, David Bowie starred,  among other movies,  "The man who fell to Earth", "The Hunger", "Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence" and "Labyrinth", all which still have strong fans/followings even today  and yet was not included in the Oscar memorial.  Considering some of the actors who do get included it was annoying.

ETA:  Ok, maybe IIRC Bowie was included in last years ceremony?

Which now just reminds me that somehow Alan Rickman was not included or was he also included last year?

Edited by caracas1914