Type keyword(s) to search

2017 Awards Season

• Start Topic

I didn't hate La La Land, though I see how you could get that impression from my posts, but I hope it doesn't get screenplay. The screenplay is the weakest part. Take out the music and the visuals and all the trappings and that is not a good screenplay. Some of it would feel forced even as TV (primetime) soap writing. I don't know what the race is really like for director. I think a lot of the camera work was too much (I was also sitting much closer to the screen than I normally do but since there are seats there I think I should have still been able to watch the movie without working so hard to make my eyes focus, not to mention some of the frenetic fast swings of the camera towards the beginning in particular) but it wouldn't be the first time someone won for "most directing" or "most acting" instead of "best." 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, SeanC said:

I haven't decided what I think about the Best Director field yet.  There are three slots that seem guaranteed for Chazelle, Jenkins and Lonergan.  For the remaining two, some combination of Denis Villeneuve, David Mackenzie, Martin Scorsese, and Denzel Washington?  I guess one should also consider Theodore Melfi, if Hidden Figures continues to (seemingly) gain steam.  Villeneuve and Scorsese are the most auteur-y of the non-guaranteed contenders, but I'm still not entirely sure how much they'll go for those films.

Could Tom Ford get a slot? 

I feel like if the Academy can't yet accept Ben Affleck, actor-turned-director (and previous Oscar winner) as a viable candidate for Best Director, it'll be a long way before they'll accept Tom Ford, designer-turned-director as a Best Director candidate. However, if he does get nominated, I will retroactively be even more peeved that Ben Affleck wasn't nominated for either The Town or Argo. 

• Love 3

Having now seen La La Land, whatever happens in the top categories, I'm quite certain that's going to be a monster in the below-the-line categories.  It's very stylish, and very apparent about it, so voters will come away thinking about it in those terms.

I'd particularly say that it'll be the first contemporary winner of Best Costume Design since The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, since it's so stylized (like Priscilla) that it'll probably transcend the bias against contemporary-set films in that category.

As far as Best Original Song goes, if it ends up being two songs from La La Land and one nominated from Moana (which is what a lot of people are predicting), it'll be interesting to see how that games out.  Moana is certainly more sophisticated musically, but I expect that if La La Land is the frontrunner there'll be a lot of people who will check the box for it; so vote-splitting may be an issue, if there are multiple nominations.  "Audition" seems to me like it'd be the song people gravitate toward more (it's basically the climax, and Stone is a better singer than Gosling), but who knows?

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 3

I actually disliked the audition song. I feel like it was supposed to be the big pro-artist argument of the movie and also the one moment we really got to see Mia's talent (I thought Stone was good in one of those early auditions but those scenes are played for laughs, the one woman show is largely off screen). But I thought the song was dull and didn't make a compelling argument and her singing was weak. It should have been a big torch song and it was filmed like something out of cabaret but she sang it in the same light breathy way (plus some struggling for volume) that she sang the earlier songs that suited her voice better. I would go for City of Stars because they repeated the motif so many times in the movie, it's the only song I took away from it. I feel like I was brainwashed into memorizing it. 

I don't know if anyone here has seen Sing Street, but I really think that movie was a better musical than La La Land. The original music in that was better too. (You can see it on Netflix now, if anyone's interested- it's really adorable).

• Love 1
On 1/6/2017 at 5:01 PM, vibeology said:

I really hope Villeneuve gets a spot. I love the way Arrival looks and he created this tension in the first forty minutes or so of the movie that is Hitchcock-ian. And that is hard to do. 

Ughhhhh.  I hope so too.

On 1/7/2017 at 5:18 AM, Princess Sparkle said:

I feel like if the Academy can't yet accept Ben Affleck, actor-turned-director (and previous Oscar winner) as a viable candidate for Best Director, it'll be a long way before they'll accept Tom Ford, designer-turned-director as a Best Director candidate. However, if he does get nominated, I will retroactively be even more peeved that Ben Affleck wasn't nominated for either The Town or Argo. 

for what it's worth, my Tom Ford suggestion was for nomination, in reply to (bolding mine)

I haven't decided what I think about the Best Director field yet.  There are three slots that seem guaranteed for Chazelle, Jenkins and Lonergan.  For the remaining two, some combination of Denis Villeneuve, David Mackenzie, Martin Scorsese, and Denzel Washington?  I guess one should also consider Theodore Melfi, if Hidden Figures continues to (seemingly) gain steam.  Villeneuve and Scorsese are the most auteur-y of the non-guaranteed contenders, but I'm still not entirely sure how much they'll go for those films.

Could Tom Ford get a slot?

Now, how would you even start comparing Tom Ford and Ben Affleck in the same sentence when they are such different directors with in consequence different focus? Argo was mostly a good story and good acting while Nocturnal Animals is just gorgeous cinematography from beginning to end, with also a story, and also fantastic acting, but still it is the director work that is the most outstanding here. No surprise then that Nocturnal Animals so far only got a nod for best Director (as far as I know) - also, as Amy Adams is nominated for other movies, well, she was not going to be nominated for this one too, was she. 

Actors turned directors are numerous, and they get credit for it - besides Affleck, we have Clint Eastwood, Robert Redford, Jodie Foster, Warren Beaty, Clooney, Mel Gibson, Sean Penn, and many others who made that transition. So I think the issue you have here is more about Affleck not having been nominated in the past, because frankly your linking his not getting a nom to Tom Ford getting one doesn't make any sense to me.

I never saw or heard of The Town, but I saw and liked Argo. That being said, Argo was the kind of movie with a general release that anyone interested in would see. Independent/more artistic movies, on the other hand, don't benefit from this kind of wide release, because, in my opinion, TPTB underestimate the viewing pubic's intelligence and decides a priori that this or that movie is not suitable for general release :(

At the risk of being very unpopular, I'd say that independent or so called "art movies" stay with me for a long time, whereas a movie like Argo, which I enjoyed, I never gave a second thought to afterwards. It's a delicate balance for the people deciding who/what to nominate - go for the movie everyone has seen and will be happy to see nominated? or highlight other movies that for numerous reasons would not be seen much if not for the nom/Oscar? In my opinion, they must, and do, alternate between the two, so people go and watch Slumdog Millionaire or The Artist, while still rewarding blockbusters such as Gravity. 

And again, back to the start: have you seen Nocturnal Animals? Can you explain to me how that is not a masterful directing? Each scene, each frame, each part of the story is so freaking perfect. And no, i'm not calling it for best movie (although...) or best actors (although...), but director? I have rarely seen anything so well constructed.

While Nocturnal Animals *may* deserve a Best Director nomination, I'm not going to cry a river if anything related to it is not nominated. I thought the movie was terrible and offensive. I was too distracted by the bad writing to notice anything else. Also, if anything it sounds as if it should get a Best Cinematography nomination and not a Best Director one.

Ben Affleck not getting a nomination for Best Director for Argo is just straight up bullshit. I forgot who said this, but someone said, "I guess the best picture directed itself!" Lol. Just ridiculous.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, PepSinger said:

Ben Affleck not getting a nomination for Best Director for Argo is just straight up bullshit. I forgot who said this, but someone said, "I guess the best picture directed itself!" Lol. Just ridiculous.

That's a tradition that dates back to Barbra Streisand not getting one for Prince of Tides.  Noms for Best Picture, Actor, Supporting Actress, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, Art Direction, and Original Score, but not Director.  Of course, she had the double-whammy of being a woman.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, NutMeg said:

for what it's worth, my Tom Ford suggestion was for nomination, in reply to (bolding mine)

Now, how would you even start comparing Tom Ford and Ben Affleck in the same sentence when they are such different directors with in consequence different focus? Argo was mostly a good story and good acting while Nocturnal Animals is just gorgeous cinematography from beginning to end, with also a story, and also fantastic acting, but still it is the director work that is the most outstanding here. No surprise then that Nocturnal Animals so far only got a nod for best Director (as far as I know) - also, as Amy Adams is nominated for other movies, well, she was not going to be nominated for this one too, was she. 

Actors turned directors are numerous, and they get credit for it - besides Affleck, we have Clint Eastwood, Robert Redford, Jodie Foster, Warren Beaty, Clooney, Mel Gibson, Sean Penn, and many others who made that transition. So I think the issue you have here is more about Affleck not having been nominated in the past, because frankly your linking his not getting a nom to Tom Ford getting one doesn't make any sense to me.

I never saw or heard of The Town, but I saw and liked Argo. That being said, Argo was the kind of movie with a general release that anyone interested in would see. Independent/more artistic movies, on the other hand, don't benefit from this kind of wide release, because, in my opinion, TPTB underestimate the viewing pubic's intelligence and decides a priori that this or that movie is not suitable for general release :(

At the risk of being very unpopular, I'd say that independent or so called "art movies" stay with me for a long time, whereas a movie like Argo, which I enjoyed, I never gave a second thought to afterwards. It's a delicate balance for the people deciding who/what to nominate - go for the movie everyone has seen and will be happy to see nominated? or highlight other movies that for numerous reasons would not be seen much if not for the nom/Oscar? In my opinion, they must, and do, alternate between the two, so people go and watch Slumdog Millionaire or The Artist, while still rewarding blockbusters such as Gravity. 

And again, back to the start: have you seen Nocturnal Animals? Can you explain to me how that is not a masterful directing? Each scene, each frame, each part of the story is so freaking perfect. And no, i'm not calling it for best movie (although...) or best actors (although...), but director? I have rarely seen anything so well constructed.

I haven't seen Nocturnal Animals, but to be honest with you, my response about it had less to do with the quality of the films/quality of the direction, and more to do with the politics of the Academy's nominations. They usually seem to stay rather traditional when it comes to nominating and voting for certain films/certain directors - for example, it is still mindboggling to me that David Fincher lost the Best Director Oscar to Tom Hooper  

I like Tom Ford as a director in what I've seen previously - I thought A Single Man was fantastic - so please don't take my post as a  slight against Tom Ford, or sour grapes that Ben Affleck hasn't been nominated for a Best Director Oscar.  It's more a commentary on the Academy, IMO, being on the stodgier side when it comes to nominations.  Maybe with the influx of younger members into the academy this year, that will change. 

It reminds me of when they didn't nominate Spielberg for The Color Purple. Obviously this wasn't the case for Spielberg, but I really do think Ben Affleck had to deal with some thoughts of "The guy from Gigli and Bennifer 1.0?  Nope, he's not a director."

Edited by Princess Sparkle
1 minute ago, Princess Sparkle said:

It's more a commentary on the Academy, IMO, being on the stodgier side when it comes to nominations.

Unless the actor/director is Clint Eastwood, of course.

• Love 2

Golden Globes are tonight, but before that the last of the big critics groups, the National Society of Film Critics, voted yesterday:

Best Picture: “Moonlight”
Runners-up: “Manchester by the Sea”; “La La Land”

Best Actor: Casey Affleck, “Manchester by the Sea”
Runners-up: Denzel Washington, “Fences”; Adam Driver, “Paterson”

Best Actress: Isabelle Huppert, “Elle” and “Things to Come”
Runners-up: Annette Bening, “20th Century Women”; Sandra Huller, “Toni Erdmann”

Best Supporting Actor: Mahershala Ali, “Moonlight”
Runners-up: Jeff Bridges, “Hell or High Water”; Michael Shannon, “Nocturnal Animals”

Best Supporting Actress: Michelle Williams, “Manchester by the Sea”
Runners-up: Lily Gladstone, “Certain Women”; Naomie Harris, “Moonlight”

Best Director: Barry Jenkins, “Moonlight”
Runners-up: Damien Chazelle, “La La Land”; Kenneth Lonergan, “Manchester by the Sea”

Best Screenplay: Kenneth Lonergan, “Manchester by the Sea”
Runners-up: Barry Jenkins, “Moonlight”; Taylor Sheridan, “Hell or High Water”

Best Cinematography:  James Laxton, “Moonlight”
Runners-up: Linus Sandgren, “La La Land”; Rodrigo Prieto, “Silence”

Best Foreign Film: “Toni Erdmann”
Runners-up: “The Handmaiden,” “Elle” and “Things to Come”

Film Heritage Award: Kino Lorber’s five-disc collection “Pioneers of African-American Cinema”

Special citation for a film awaiting American distribution: Cristi Puiu’s “Sieranevada”

Man, has there ever been a year where a couple of films just completely dominated the awards conversation the way that La La Land, Moonlight, and Manchester by the Sea have this year? Even two years ago, with the 12 Years a Slave/Gravity/American Hustle race, there were still mentions here and there for films like Her or Inside Llewyn Davis, but this year the films outside of that trifecta don't seem to be able to grab so much as a runner-up citation. And last year had Spotlight, Mad Max, and Carol during critics season, but the latter two were replaced with the The Big Short and The Revenant when it came time for the industry/televised awards, which I'd be surprised to see happen this year.

• Love 1

I find it curious that The Light Between Oceans was given a wide September release when everything about that film screamed "Now in select theaters.  Playing everywhere December 33rd."  I'm not saying Best Picture or anything, but any or all of the three leads should at least be in the conversation.  

At this point, the only thing I can see shaking up a La La Land/Moonlight/Manchester by the Sea battle will be if Hidden Figures is able to turn it's box office and audience success (apparently it got a rare A+ Cinemascore) into something, but that usually doesn't factor much into how the Academy votes.  And right now, it feels like Silence is barely making any kind of dent.  I wonder what is causing that?

I always enjoy the Golden Globes.  What's not to love about an awards show where the actors are allowed to eat and drink?  But, and I reiterate this point every year, they aren't always the best predictor.  Some years they're spot on and others they only get it kind of right.  So, I'm just going to relax, watch the production, and wait for the individual guilds before filling out my Oscar ballot.

As for the bigger race, I would love it if the success of Hidden Figures lets it take over La La Land's spot in the race.  I still want Moonlight to win all the awards and firmly believe it's the best movie released this year but I thought HF had a lot more heart, humor and story than La La (which I did enjoy very much, just not as an Oscar contender) so I would like to see it get that level of recognition. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

I find it curious that The Light Between Oceans was given a wide September release when everything about that film screamed "Now in select theaters.  Playing everywhere December 33rd."  I'm not saying Best Picture or anything, but any or all of the three leads should at least be in the conversation.  

The studio must have known it wouldn't go anywhere with critics. A movie doesn't have to come out in the fall to get nominated for awards (though it helps), but getting released on Labor Day weekend...it's probably the most dead weekend at movie theaters for the entire year. 

Can you boycott something you were never going to watch anyway?

Edited by Dejana
3 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

There's a movement among Trump supporters to boycott the Golden Globes (and presumably the Oscars) because they expect that the recipients and presenters are going to make anti-Trump speeches.

This sounds like a ploy to get me to watch.

ETA;LOL that didn't take long.

Edited by raezen
  • Love 4

I honestly don't get how Fences and Arrival got so shut out of the Best Picture categories.  I love Arrival, but the acting is what I love least about it.

And right now, it feels like Silence is barely making any kind of dent.  I wonder what is causing that?

Maybe people are tired of the White Savior movies.  I don't know, I never see any promotion or hype for this movie.  It was all very...... quiet.  *Wink*

These results are not good for Natalie Portman, and certainly Jackie as a whole.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

So Huppert got Best Actress in a Drama, not Portman (who was the expect winner). But the SAG Awards tends to be the better predictor for Best Actress. So Bening or Portman could still win it. I'd be really annoyed if Emma Stone won the Oscar.

Streep's speech was fantastic. And I love that her montage included Death Becomes Her! That movie is a damn classic.

• Love 2

As I said above the Globes, while a lot of fun, are not the best predictor of who will win on Oscar night.  The SAG awards alone are a better indication.  SAG doesn't have a 100% success rate (last year alone it was 75% as the Supporting Actor award went to Idris Elba instead of eventual Oscar winner Mark Rylance) but you can be more confident in your picks if you're using SAG as a guide for the acting part of your Oscar ballot. 

Since La La Land isn't nominated for the SAG Ensemble award I'm very curious as to who the voters will choose.  Manchester has more recognizable faces in Casey Affleck, Michelle Williams, Kyle Chandler's hair, Matthew Broderick and a handful of HITG actors who have been around a while.  On the other hand, Moonlight has some great new(er) actors and the last few years for Mahershala Ali, Janelle Monae and Naomie Harris in particular have been amazing with and without this movie. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

What the heck is Rules Don't Apply?  I never even heard of it, or saw any ads.

A comedy with Warren Beatty as Howard Hughes. It was...not a critical or commercial success. Lily Collins was definitely a shock nominee to say the least, even among awards junkies.

12 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Maybe people are tired of the White Savior movies.  I don't know, I never see any promotion or hype for this movie.  It was all very...... quiet.  *Wink*

Silence is an adaptation of a 1966 novel by a Japanese author and not really a White Savior movie. It's been made before as a Japanese film in the 1970s. The 2016 version screened pretty late in the game for critics and their overall response has been positive, but more respectful than effusive for a top Oscar contender. It's the kind of movie that probably should have gone to Cannes and had months to build supporters, like The Tree of Life back in 2011. Silence is definitely not as mainstream as any of Scorsese's recent collaborations with DiCaprio.

11 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Since La La Land isn't nominated for the SAG Ensemble award I'm very curious as to who the voters will choose.  Manchester has more recognizable faces in Casey Affleck, Michelle Williams, Kyle Chandler's hair, Matthew Broderick and a handful of HITG actors who have been around a while.  On the other hand, Moonlight has some great new(er) actors and the last few years for Mahershala Ali, Janelle Monae and Naomie Harris in particular have been amazing with and without this movie. 

Hidden Fences? Kidding! But I wouldn't be surprised to see Hidden Figures win the top prize at SAG.

5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I was shocked Natalie didn't win the Golden Globe. Did anyone actually see that Elle movie?

It's a foreign language performance awarded by the Hollywood Foreign Press. The HFPA consists of literally less than 100 journalists, so to win, a person could just have twenty votes from the international equivalents of Mario Lopez. That is why their results don't always match up so well with AMPAS.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

I figured SAG was between Moonlight and Manchester too, but Hidden Figures really seems to be peaking at just the right time, so I think it's got a real shot. SAG can also trend a bit more mainstream than other awards as well, which would give the latter an advantage over the two indie darlings.

As for actress, last night was good news for Emma Stone more than anything. Yeah, the Globes aren't exactly a rock solid indicator of the Oscars, but the fact that Portman or Adams couldn't even win in a separate category from her isn't a great sign. And while Huppert may be a legend, I still don't think there's a chance in hell that the Oscar is going to go to a foreign language performance in a rape comedy. I agree though that SAG will really be the indicator there though -- I think if Stone wins that the race is over.

Also, it looks like there's at least one acting category in which there won't be a sweep, since I don't think Aaron Taylor-Johnson is even nominated anywhere else. I still think Mahershala Ali has the advantage in that category, even if he might not be the runaway favourite he looked to be turning into. It probably would have been a bigger deal if he'd lost to Jeff Bridges or Dev Patel.

It was a weird night. Most of the time, the Globes are a little off, but not too far off, other awards shows. This time, I think we saw huge differences.

Lead actress at the Oscars did just get a little more secure for Emma Stone. Her win was almost a guarantee but Natalie's loss is a big deal. I agree with @AshleyN that Huppert doesn't really stand a chance at the Oscars so Natalie losing here opens a big door for Emma. Voters aren't all that sophisticated; I'm sure of that because I always read those secret ballots. Someone or something being "hot right now" does help swing votes, so Natalie needs to pick up another award and soon too to get her narrative back on track. Or she could have that baby. That would get her name out there.

Best supporting was also very interesting. Ali was the frontrunner with Patel and Bridges being looked at as the spoilers so having none of them win was shocking. Tom Ford did campaign hard for his movie so that could be why but it certainly changes the shape of things. Mahershala Ali probably still is the frontrunner. Moonlight is a critical darling and his performance is a standout but it'll be interesting to see if Taylor-Johnson gets an Oscar nod see what that might mean.

The screenplay category is another where the GGs seem very far off what was expected. Even people who rave about La La Land (it's one of the few I haven't seen yet) tend to say the script is the weakest part. Add to that that there are two screenplay categories at the Oscars and I'll be shocked to see Moonlight shut out there.

Sometimes those Globe results really seem to matter to Oscar voters and sometimes it seems like they get written off because "The Globes are weird" is a popular narrative. It'll be interesting to see how this year shakes out.

• Love 1

Lead actress at the Oscars did just get a little more secure for Emma Stone. Her win was almost a guarantee but Natalie's loss is a big deal.

I didn't think it would have that big of an impact, but looking through the last 10 years for the category, the only time neither the Drama or Comedy winners went on to win the Oscar was when Kate Winslet competed in the wrong category all season (so she could submit both Revolutionary Road and The Reader) and won the Globe for Revolutionary Road and the Oscar for The Reader. The SAGs were right 7 times out of 10, and the Critic's Choice were right 6 times out of 10 (Natalie won that one.) It makes the race between Portman and Huppert interesting, because while the Globes have successfully picked Best Actress every year for the past decade, an actress has not won an Oscar without at least getting nominated for a SAG in the past 10 years either. Emma Stone wins those stats though, and is campaigning hard, so we'll see. The SAGs will be interesting...

• Love 1

I'm not really excited this year. I want to see Moonlight and Jackie eventually (probably at home where I can enjoy them without other audience members whispering) but I thought I'd see La La Land and enjoy it and at least have a movie to root for. But I was only so-so and nothing else jumps out at me and I just can't feel comfortable with Manchester by the Sea with the Casey Affleck allegations (plus I'm not a fan of Michelle Williams anyway.) I haven't gotten around to the animated movies this year. The Disney loyalist in me is happy that another movie is breaking up the Pixar reign (since those old Disney Renaissance movies should have been racking up awards had there been a category for them) but... I don't care that much about it. I feel like when I finally see Zootopia and Moana I won't have strong feelings about either.

I didn't watch the Golden Globes. I forgot it was on and anyway I'm taking a break from Jimmy Fallon for a while.

Is it just me or did a few people say "Hidden Fences" during the Globes? I was rewatching a few moments on dvr and I could swear people kept combining Fences and Hidden Figures.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, slf said:

Is it just me or did a few people say "Hidden Fences" during the Globes? I was rewatching a few moments on dvr and I could swear people kept combining Fences and Hidden Figures.

Oh, yes they did.

• Love 2

BAFTA nominations (which I stayed up to watch live, because whatever, I'm unemployed, it's not like I have anything to do tomorrow) came out.  Emily Blunt got a Best Actress nomination for The Girl on the Train, furthering what has to be the oddest awards season candidacy of the year.

Otherwise, most a pretty standard group, apart from a clutch of nominations for I, Daniel Blake that are rather unlikely to presage anything with the Academy.

I guess it's notable that Huppert was shut out, which kind of brakes any momentum she was gathering from the Golden Globes win.  Also, no Denzel nom; BAFTA just doesn't like him, for whatever reason.

Denis Villeneuve claimed one of the directorial slots (as did Tom Ford), while Barry Jenkins didn't get in (though, again, one of those slots went to Ken Loach).

• Love 1
13 hours ago, slf said:

Yep, and Twitter spent the night mocking them for it.  My personal favorites were "The Help Got Away with Murder" and "How Stella Got Straight Outta Compton."

Edited by angora
added link
  • Love 13

Didn't BAFTA make a point of addressing diversity and the steps they were going to take to be more inclusive? It seems like an odd year to shut out Denzel Washington and Barry Jenkins, especially when Barry Jenkins' film is an Oscar front runner.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, SeanC said:

BAFTA nominations (which I stayed up to watch live, because whatever, I'm unemployed, it's not like I have anything to do tomorrow) came out.  Emily Blunt got a Best Actress nomination for The Girl on the Train, furthering what has to be the oddest awards season candidacy of the year.

Otherwise, most a pretty standard group, apart from a clutch of nominations for I, Daniel Blake that are rather unlikely to presage anything with the Academy.

I guess it's notable that Huppert was shut out, which kind of brakes any momentum she was gathering from the Golden Globes win.  Also, no Denzel nom; BAFTA just doesn't like him, for whatever reason.

Denis Villeneuve claimed one of the directorial slots (as did Tom Ford), while Barry Jenkins didn't get in (though, again, one of those slots went to Ken Loach).

I heard Elle was ineligible, as it was released too late in UK. I assume there are a few more similar cases.

1 hour ago, absnow54 said:

Didn't BAFTA make a point of addressing diversity and the steps they were going to take to be more inclusive? It seems like an odd year to shut out Denzel Washington and Barry Jenkins, especially when Barry Jenkins' film is an Oscar front runner.

Personal tastes are what they are, but that aside, BAFTA's membership is different from its management committee, so if they didn't feel like nominating Washington before, it's not really surprising they aren't starting now.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Personal tastes are what they are, but that aside, BAFTA's membership is different from its management committee, so if they didn't feel like nominating Washington before, it's not really surprising they aren't starting now.

I don't think BAFTA like Denzel, he has never been nominated by them

• Love 2

Yep, and Twitter spent the night mocking them for it.  My personal favorites were "The Help Got Away with Murder" and "How Stella Got Straight Outta Compton."

The Color Precious and How to Get Away With Scandal are good. Like Hidden Fences they almost don't sound wrong unless you actually know what the two things are called. Also, that tweet with Wilson from Home Improvement... XD

• Love 6

PGA nominations:

Feature Film

Arrival
Deadpool
Fences
Hacksaw Ridge
Hell or High Water
Hidden Figures
La La Land
Lion
Manchester By the Sea
Moonlight

Not that I think Deadpool has any chance of getting a Best Picture nomination, but that'd be funny (particularly as I know a lot of cinephiles whose heads would explode)?  I do think it has a viable chance of getting into Adapted Screenplay at this point.

Animated Film

Finding Dory
Kubo and the Two Strings
Moana
The Secret Life of Pets
Zootopia

The Academy usually makes room for a few foreign animation efforts in this category, so I'd expect Finding Dory and Secret Life of Pets to drop out.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, slf said:

What, too many movies starring black people? Yikes. 

I'm going to be charitable to Jenna Bush Hager and say that she was doing her first Red Carpet, was trying to talk to Pharrell, had a producer in her ear that she would have been listening to at the same time and made a mistake. I can't be quite so charitable to the second incident which must have been on the Teleprompter. Someone should have had time to check the script and make sure everything was correct.

As for the BAFTAs, there is a serious race issue there. SorryNotSorry! Jenkins being shut out of the directing category isn't really surprising considering that only one black director has ever been nominated but it is ridiculous. He may not be winning everywhere but he has been consistently nominated at every major award. Four nominations for Moonlight is incredibly low in general. 

Denzel has never been nominated for a BAFTA at any point for any performance. (Neither has Morgan Freeman.) I also think it's very telling that they found room for Emily Blunt and Meryl Streep for best actress but didn't have space for either Ruth Negga or Taraji P. Henson in that category. (And I know Hidden Figures is eligible since its up for Screenplay and Loving must somehow count as Ruth is nominated for Rising Star.)

• Love 1

Ruth Negga will not get an Oscar nomination, she miss the SAG and now BAFTA. Emily Blunt might get the fifth spot or Isabelle Huppert. Meryl Streep never miss a nomination, has hit all the precursors. 

Aaron Taylor-Johnson will probably happen at the Oscars which is just ugh to me

• Love 1

Surprised again to see Aaron Taylor-Johnson get another nomination. I didn't see Nocturnal Animals so I can't judge but the few movies I have seen him in he left no impression on me. Wonder if he will sneak in an Oscar nod. He wasn't nominated for the SAG.

Best actress still feels like a race between Emma Stone and Natalie Portman. Will see how the SAG awards plays out.

I still think and hope Viola Davis will win the supporting actress Oscar.

• Love 1