Type keyword(s) to search

2017 Awards Season

• Start Topic

Yeah, I'm waiting for the Affleck story to really hit the mainstream press.  Maybe this is considered old news now or something.  But outside of this forum, I'm not seeing/hearing it make a ripple.  I'm assuming it will at some point as some rival studio/campaign tries to get some traction.

So did the NBR not get to see Fences?  I'm more shocked that it got completely blanked than by anything else.  It's not even listed as one of the Best Films.   I thought that advanced buzz from its first screening was overwhelmingly strong. 

Edited by vb68
7 minutes ago, vb68 said:

Yeah, I'm waiting for the Affleck story to really hit the mainstream press.  Maybe this is considered old news now or something.  But outside of this forum, I'm not seeing/hearing it make a ripple.  I'm assuming it will at some point as some rival studio/campaign tries to get some traction.

It's circulated in some articles about the Parker controversy, but it's yet to really become a thing on its own.  I expect we will be hearing more about it, though, ironically, the fact that Parker has pretty much vanished from the awards conversation probably lessens its impact a bit.

• Love 1

I'm just glad that Hell or High Water is getting some love, so hopefully this means having an August release doesn't mean it won't be left out.  Granted, it wouldn't be the first time the actual Oscar voters go down a different path compared to the critics, but I remain optimistic.

Also surprised that only one song from Moana got nominated (while La La Land had two.)  I wonder if Disney will actually try to single out just one in order to prevent any splitting, and if so, I wonder which one.

51 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

I'm just glad that Hell or High Water is getting some love, so hopefully this means having an August release doesn't mean it won't be left out.  Granted, it wouldn't be the first time the actual Oscar voters go down a different path compared to the critics, but I remain optimistic.

Also surprised that only one song from Moana got nominated (while La La Land had two.)  I wonder if Disney will actually try to single out just one in order to prevent any splitting, and if so, I wonder which one.

I think Bridges is a lock for a Supporting Actor nomination, and they've got a very good chance for Original Screenplay.  Whether it gets more beyond that will depend on how the campaign goes.

Disney has made a practise of only submitting one song per film ever since Enchanted and The Princess and the Frog got multiple nominations (3, in the former case) and lost.

2 hours ago, absnow54 said:

Critic's Choice Nominations are out. I'm rather surprised that out of the Hidden Figures trio, Janelle Monae was the one to snatch a nomination.

I imagine that reflects Hidden Figures + Moonlight love together.  She's having a good year.

Jackie isn't making much of an impact yet beyond Portman, but I think it's the kind of movie that the Academy will be predisposed to like.

And the New York Film Critics Circle has voted:

Film - La La Land

Director - Barry Jenkins, Moonlight

Actor - Casey Affleck, Manchester by the Sea

Actress - Isabelle Huppert, Elle & Things to Come

Supporting Actor - Mahershala Ali, Moonlight

Supporting Actress - Michelle Williams, Manchester by the Sea & Certain Women

Screenplay - Manchester by the Sea

Cinematography - Moonlight

Foreign Language Film - Toni Erdmann

Animated Film - Zootopia

Documentary Film - O.J.: Made in America

La La Land pulls out the win despite winning nothing else.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, absnow54 said:

Critic's Choice Nominations are out. I'm rather surprised that out of the Hidden Figures trio, Janelle Monae was the one to snatch a nomination.

I remember hearing some strong early word for her, so I'm not totally surprised. Also, I assume Taraji P. Henson would be lead, which is a BRUTAL category this year, so her path would have been a lot tougher.

My question after the nominations is whether they saw Silence? I mean, it's possible that they just didn't like it much, but I find it pretty shocking that this group in particular, which has a reputation for trying to predict the Oscars, would totally ignore a new awards-season primed Scorcese movie. And not just any Scorcese, but the passion project he's spent decades trying to get made. They even nominated Andrew Garfield for a different movie altogether!*

*And on that note, I can't help but be a little grossed out that with everything happening in America right now, this is the time Hollywood seems to be choosing to re-embrace Mel Gibson.

In other news, the New York Critics just finished announcing their winners:

Best Film: La La Land
Best Actor: Casey Affleck for Manchester by the Sea
Best Actress: Isabelle Huppert for both Elle and Things to Come
Best Director: Barry Jenkins for Moonlight
Best Screenplay: Kenneth Lonergan for Manchester by the Sea
Best Supporting Actor: Mahershala Ali for Moonlight
Best Supporting Actress: Michelle Williams for both Manchester by the Sea and Certain Women
Best Animated Film: Zootopia
Best Cinematography: James Laxton for Moonlight
Best First Film (tie): The Edge of Seventeen and Krisha
Best Foreign Language Film: Toni Erdmann
Best Documentary: O.J.: Made in America
Special Awards: One for editor Thelma Schoonmaker, the other for Julie Dash's Daughters of the Dust 25th anniversary restoration

Interesting that after showering most of the love on Moonlight and Manchester, they gave Best Picture to La La Land. Maybe it was a compromise choice? This is the main reason I think it's the Best Picture favourite -- other films may have passionate support, but this one seems like the most likely to combine passion with the ability to win a consensus.

Today was a good day for Isabelle Huppert.

• Love 2

*And on that note, I can't help but be a little grossed out that with everything happening in America right now, this is the time Hollywood seems to be choosing to re-embrace Mel Gibson.

Truly an excellent point there.  I feel the same way.

Still very surprised that Fences has gotten blanked so far.  I keep reading that Viola Davis is locked for the WIN in supporting actress.  So far I'm really not getting that impression.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, vb68 said:

Still very surprised that Fences has gotten blanked so far.  I keep reading that Viola Davis is locked for the WIN in supporting actress.  So far I'm really not getting that impression.

I think the assumption must be that she'll play better with the guilds and the Academy membership than with critics, particularly once the film is actually released and (so the hope is) builds box office momentum.

I haven't seen Manchester yet, but everything I've read says that Williams' part is on the small side, whereas Davis is a borderline (or actual) lead, so that will be an advantage for her.

Edited by SeanC
19 minutes ago, SeanC said:

I haven't seen Manchester yet, but everything I've read says that Williams' part is on the small side, whereas Davis is a borderline (or actual) lead, so that will be an advantage for her.

Also, Viola has the advantage of being denied a Best Actress award she really deserved, so they need to give her a make-up.  See also: Dench, Judi and Blanchett, Cate.

This can also work in reverse.  See:  Moore, Julianne.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, SeanC said:

Davis is a borderline (or actual) lead,

the part won her a Best Actress Tony Award, whereas the original actress in the original production, won for Best Supporting (or the Tony equivalents), so it's all a matter of the actress's name, I think.

I haven't seen Manchester yet, but everything I've read says that Williams' part is on the small side, whereas Davis is a borderline (or actual) lead, so that will be an advantage for her.

Williams's role in Manchester is relatively small (she might be in five or six scenes, I think?) but they are potent and her presence lingers throughout the film. No idea what that means in terms of Davis but it sounds like they will be difficult roles to "compare," for lack of a better term. It seems like the Best Supportings always have this kind of tension. Paging Judi Dench...

Arrival is the best MOVIE I've seen this year (haven't seen a few contenders, like La La Land, Passengers, Moonlight, Fences) but Amy Adams didn't particularly knock me out like she did a lot of other people.  I'm more of a fan of a performance like Emily Blunt's, which I admit was a lot showier I guess.  Even judging from the trailers, it will be hard to beat Natalie Portman or Viola Davis this year I assume?

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Even judging from the trailers, it will be hard to beat Natalie Portman or Viola Davis this year I assume?

Davis is going supporting, so unless the Academy rejects the categorization (which is very rare; I can only think of two nominees in recent history where that was the case, Kate Winslet and Keisha Castle-Hughes).

The notoriously idiosyncratic Los Angeles Film Critics Association delivered their awards today:

Picture:  Moonlight (runner-up:  La La Land)

Director:  Barry Jenkins, Moonlight (runner-up:  Damien Chazelle, La La Land)

Actor:  Adam Driver, Paterson (runner-up:  Casey Affleck, Manchester by the Sea)

Actress:  Isabelle Huppert, Things to Come & Elle (runner-up:  Rebecca Hall, Christine)

Supporting Actor:  Mahershala Ali, Moonlight (runner-up:  Issey Ogata, Silence)

Supporting Actress:  Lily Gladstone, Certain Women (runner-up:  Michelle Williams, Manchester by the Sea)

Screenplay:  The Lobster (runner-up:  Manchester by the Sea)

Editing:  O.J.: Made in America (runner-up:  La La Land)

Cinematography:  Moonlight (runner-up:  La La Land)

Production Design:  The Handmaiden (runner-up:  La La Land)

Music/Score:  La La Land (runner-up:  Jackie)

Animated Film:  Your Name (runner-up:  The Red Turtle)

Documentary Film:  I Am Not Your Negro (runner-up:  O.J.: Made in America)

Foreign Language Film:  The Handmaiden (runner-up:  Toni Erdmann)

Moonlight is definitely the critical cause celebre of the season.  La La Land scores numerous runner-up spots.

• Love 1

I know LA likes to go out of the box, but I'd honestly never even heard of Your Name until now.

Isabelle Huppert's critical domination isn't entirely unexpected, but it's probably not good for Natalie Portman's chances that she couldn't even grab a runner-up citation here. Or that Jackie, which from what I've heard seems to be the type of artsy, "challenging" film that really needs critical championing, has been almost completely absent from the critics awards so far. I'm beginning to wonder if Emma Stone's biggest threat might end up being Amy Adams instead, especially if the studio really pushes the fact that this would be her sixth nomination and the resulting overdue narrative. Arrival continuing to succeed at the box-office and (hopefully) being embraced as a film by the Academy (the way La La Land no doubt will be) would obviously help her chances as well. I think Huppert is more of a Marion Cotillard or Charlotte Rampling, where the critics can help get her the nomination, but the win is unlikely.

Is Mahershala Ali the favourite in Supporting Actor now? Interesting that they chose a non-Liam Neeson Silence actor as runner up in that category. I saw a comment from some critic comparing Issey Ogata to Christoph Waltz in Inglorious Basterds, and Supporting Actor is generally kind to showy antagonists, so perhaps he could contend for a nomination.

Edited by AshleyN
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, AshleyN said:

Is Mahershala Ali the favourite in Supporting Actor now?

With the proviso that I still remain somewhat reserved on how much the Academy goes for Moonlight, I'd say things are looking good.  Jeff Bridges, the only other easily identifiable likely nominee at this point, isn't showing any particular winning strength yet, and he already won an Oscar, so the "career narrative" is off the table.  And when the Academy is looking to reward a film like Moonlight, the most probable prize is either an acting win or the relevant screenplay award.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, SeanC said:

With the proviso that I still remain somewhat reserved on how much the Academy goes for Moonlight, I'd say things are looking good.  Jeff Bridges, the only other easily identifiable likely nominee at this point, isn't showing any particular winning strength yet, and he already won an Oscar, so the "career narrative" is off the table.  And when the Academy is looking to reward a film like Moonlight, the most probable prize is either an acting win or the relevant screenplay award.

Yeah, this was one of the things I was thinking. Not that he wouldn't be deserving anyway, but if La La Land is going to win Picture and Director, which still looks likely to me, Ali could be the easiest place to reward a critics darling that they really liked in a big category. Kind of like Patricia Arquette and Boyhood.

• Love 1

I was sure Ruth Negga would be in the conversation for Lead Actress, but I haven't really heard her or Loving mentioned in the awards context at all. Has the movie had a wide opening in the US, or is it not even out yet and that's the reason? Or am I just missing talk of it? We have to wait until February for it here.

9 hours ago, Schweedie said:

I was sure Ruth Negga would be in the conversation for Lead Actress, but I haven't really heard her or Loving mentioned in the awards context at all. Has the movie had a wide opening in the US, or is it not even out yet and that's the reason? Or am I just missing talk of it? We have to wait until February for it here.

It was released in early November.  The reviews have been good but not great; most refer to it as too restrained for the subject matter.

On December 4, 2016 at 11:44 PM, Silver Raven said:

I saw a preview for this [Paterson].  It looks interesting.

My reaction too. In the ahhhh, this could be good or this could be really freaking awful, kind of way. (A true Minnesota passive aggressive style "interesting!") Other than that trailer, though, I haven't seen or heard anything about it.

AFI Top 10 Films:

FILM: 

Arrival

Fences

Hacksaw Ridge

Hell or High Water

La La Land

Manchester by the Sea

Moonlight

Silence

Sully

Zootopia

AFI Special Award: O.J.: Made in America

Biggest surprise is likely Zootopia getting in, although I find it interesting that both Sully and Hacksaw Ridge got in there too, despite their polarizing directors.  But at the article points out, the AFI's don't always factor in some of the later arrivals, so it's not a sure thing at all for that to be the Best Picture nominees though.  If I had to guess though, I do think La La Land will be the big feel good spectacle front runner, with Moonlight as the critical beloved underdog.  But anything can happen!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

If I had to guess though, I do think La La Land will be the big feel good spectacle front runner, with Moonlight as the critical beloved underdog.  

Get ready for the La La Land backlash even though it's one of the most acclaimed films of the year (see also, what happened to The King's Speech).

Zootopia's placement is impressive, even if very unlikely to be repeated in Best Picture.  If nothing else, it shows its obvious cachet in Animated Feature.

• Love 2

Boston Society of Film Critics:

Picture - La La Land

Director - Damien Chazelle (La La Land)

Actor - Casey Affleck (Manchester by the Sea)

Actress - Isabelle Huppert (Elle & Things to Come)

Supporting Actor - Mahershala Ali (Moonlight)

Supporting Actress - Lily Gladstone (Certain Women)

Screenplay - Manchester by the Sea

Editing - La La Land

Cinematography - The Handmaiden

Original Score - Jackie

Ensemble - Moonlight

Foreign Language Film - The Handmaiden

Animated Film - Tower

Documentary Film - O.J.: Made in America

The Critics' Choice Awards results (sans the various added genre awards that they use to invite more famous people):

Picture - La La Land

Director - Damien Chazelle (La La Land)

Actor - Casey Affleck (Manchester by the Sea)

Actress - Natalie Portman (Jackie)

Supporting Actor - Mahershala Ali (Moonlight)

Supporting Actress - Viola Davis (Fences)

Original Screenplay - La La Land & Manchester by the Sea

Adapted Screenplay - Arrival

Editing - La La Land

Cinematography - La La Land

Production Design - La La Land

Costume Design - Jackie

Hair & Makeup - Jackie

Original Score - La La Land

Original Song - "City of Stars" (La La Land)

Visual Effects - The Jungle Book

Foreign Language Film - Elle

Animated Film - Zootopia

Ensemble - Moonlight

Young Actor - Lucas Hedges (Manchester by the Sea)

Viola Davis scores her first notable mention, if I recall correctly.  A big haul for La La Land, and something finally goes right for Jackie.  Moonlight and Manchester also do respectably.  I like the screenplay nod for Arrival.

And in a few hours, the Golden Globe nominations are out.

• Love 1

Of course the year Lin Maneuel goes for the EGOT, someone had to go and produce an original musical. I have no doubt he'll get an Oscar some day, but I think La La Land is going to be too hard to beat in the Original Song category unless it cancels itself out.

The Golden Globe nominations:

Best Picture, Drama
Hacksaw Ridge
Hell or High Water
Lion
Manchester by the Sea
Moonlight

Best Picture, Comedy or Musical
20th Century Women
Deadpool
Florence Foster Jenkins
La La Land
Sing Street

Best Director
Damien Chazelle, La La Land
Tom Ford, Nocturnal Animals
Mel Gibson, Hacksaw Ridge
Barry Jenkins, Moonlight
Kenneth Lonergan, Manchester by the Sea

Best Actor, Drama
Casey Affleck, Manchester by the Sea
Joel Edgerton, Loving
Andrew Garfield, Hacksaw Ridge
Viggo Mortensen, Captain Fantastic
Denzel Washington, Fences

Best Actress, Drama
Amy Adams, Arrival
Jessica Chastain, Miss Sloane
Isabelle Huppert, Elle
Ruth Negga, Loving
Natalie Portman, Jackie

Best Actor, Comedy
Colin Farrell, The Lobster
Ryan Gosling, La La Land
Hugh Grant, Florence Foster Jenkins
Jonah Hill, War Dogs
Ryan Reynolds, Deadpool

Best Actress, Comedy
Annette Bening, 20th Century Women
Lily Collins, Rules Don't Apply
Hailee Steinfeld, The Edge of Seventeen
Emma Stone, La La Land
Meryl Streep, Florence Foster Jenkins

Best Supporting Actor
Mahershala Ali, Moonlight
Jeff Bridges, Hell or High Water
Simon Helberg, Florence Foster Jenkins
Dev Patel, Lion
Aaron Taylor Johsnon, Nocturnal Animals

Best Supporting Actress
Viola Davis, Fences
Naomie Harris, Moonlight
Nicole Kidman, Lion
Octavia Spencer, Hidden Figures
Michelle Williams, Manchester by the Sea

Best Screenplay
Damien Chazelle, La La Land
Tom Ford, Nocturnal Animals
Barry Jenkins, Moonlight
Kenneth Lonergan, Manchester by the Sea
Taylor Sheridan, Hell or High Water

Best Original Score
Moonlight
La La Land
Arrival
Lion
Hidden Figures

Best Original Song 

“Can't Stop the Feeling,” Trolls
“City of Stars,” La La Land
“Faith,” Sing
“Gold,” Gold
“How Far I’ll Go,” Moana

Best Animated Film
Kubo and the Two Strings
Moana
My Life as a Zucchini
Sing
Zootopia

Best Foreign Language Film
Divines
Elle
Neruda
The Salesman
Toni Erdmann

- No egregious comedy misclassifications this year, thankfully.

- They really went for Nocturnal Animals.

Hacksaw Ridge likewise gets a warm reception, even trumping Jackie for a best drama nomination.

Silence gets shut out.

- Ryan Reynolds and Ryan Gosling nominated side-by-side.

- Best Supporting Actress is majority black.

- I'm pleased that Hailee Steinfeld got a comedy actress nomination (even if Emma Stone is obviously going to obliterate all comers in that category this year).

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SeanC said:

- They really went for Nocturnal Animals.

Apparently Tom Ford really went out of his way to impress HFPA. Plus he overgifted them. Other movies were giving out posters and coffee books and he gave two $90 Tom Ford perfumes. It's over the HFPA limit so apparently they are expected to give one back, but I don't know how rigorous that will be enforced. That's not to say it isn't a good movie (I haven't seen it yet but the reviews have been strong) only that when you're dealing with 90 or so people, it's easy to swing things your way.

The surprises for me is Deadpool getting that sort of love since superhero films are normally beneath serious awards recognition. I'm also surprised by Silence being shut out. I'm weirdly happy to see Simon Helberg getting love since I think his work on The Big Bang Theory goes criminally unnoticed.

Also, I'm disappointed to see that the Best Actress Drama category doesn't carry over into the Best Picture Drama category, though I've gotten used to it. Hollywood really does think if its a woman's movie it just can't be as good as a movie about a man.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

How is Dev Patel considered supporting?

From what I gather, he's only in half the movie (the first half is the child actor playing his character).

1 hour ago, vibeology said:

The surprises for me is Deadpool getting that sort of love since superhero films are normally beneath serious awards recognition.

In the past they've recognized broad studio comedies in this category, e.g., The Hangover, so while I wasn't expecting Deadpool to get a best comedy nomination, I think it falls within a recognizable trend.

EDIT:  Nomination counts:

La La Land - 8

Moonlight - 6

Manchester by the Sea - 5

Lion / Florence Foster Jenkins - 4

Hacksaw Ridge / Hell or High Water / Nocturnal Animals - 3

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 1

Also, I'm disappointed to see that the Best Actress Drama category doesn't carry over into the Best Picture Drama category, though I've gotten used to it. Hollywood really does think if its a woman's movie it just can't be as good as a movie about a man.

It annoys me how hard it is for a female led film to get nominations from awards bodies. Arrival had very strong reviews as a film outside of Adam's performance, got a lot of Critics Choice Awards nominations and it has been doing pretty well at the box office yet it gets snubbed. 

• Love 3

I'm actually surprised that Hacksaw Ridge has been doing decently so far, because even though I enjoyed it, it has gotten some backlash for the overlong first half, and, of course, Mel Gibson in general.  Then again, the Globes are a different ballgame, so I'm curious to see if Academy voters are more forgiving.

Natalie Portman winning the Critic's Choice is a good feather in her cap, but with the Globes splitting Drama and Comedy/Musical, I'm guessing Portman and Emma Stone take their respected categories, and keep the suspense going for a bit.

Still haven't seen Moonlight yet, but I'm already rooting for Mahersala Ali, who is amazing in everything he's been in, and I'd like to see him get some love.  Plus, I suspect his main competitor is Jeff Bridges, who was awesome in Hell or High Water, but he's already got a trophy, so Team Ali!

And, yeah, any other year I would be suspecting Lin Manuel Miranda to be already preparing to get his EGOT, but I'm thinking La La Land will take Best Song, because it seems to be building up momentum at the exact, right moment.  It would either have to tank in spectacular fashion at the box office, or some dark secret would be revealed about Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone, or Damien Chazelle, that sours voters, but that seems very unlikely.

• Love 2

My predicted winners:

Best Picture, Drama - Moonlight

Best Picture, Comedy or Musical - La La Land
Best Director - Damien Chazelle, La La Land
Best Actor, Drama - Casey Affleck, Manchester by the Sea
Best Actress, Drama - Natalie Portman, Jackie

Best Actor, Comedy - Ryan Gosling, La La Land (I had fun imagining what an upset Ryan Reynolds win in this category would look like)

Best Actress, Comedy - Emma Stone, La La Land
Best Supporting Actor - Mahershala Ali, Moonlight
Best Supporting Actress - Viola Davis, Fences
Best Screenplay - Kenneth Lonergan, Manchester by the Sea

Best Original Score - La La Land
Best Original Song - “City of Stars,” La La Land
Best Animated Film - Zootopia

Best Foreign Language Film - Elle

5 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

And, yeah, any other year I would be suspecting Lin Manuel Miranda to be already preparing to get his EGOT, but I'm thinking La La Land will take Best Song, because it seems to be building up momentum at the exact, right moment.  It would either have to tank in spectacular fashion at the box office, or some dark secret would be revealed about Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone, or Damien Chazelle, that sours voters, but that seems very unlikely.

The SAG nominations are out on Wednesday.  I'm not expecting this to happen, but if La La Land gets a Best Ensemble nomination despite (from all the reviews) basically not having an ensemble, this thing is over.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, vibeology said:

The surprises for me is Deadpool getting that sort of love since superhero films are normally beneath serious awards recognition

Part of the thing with the HFPA is getting eyeballs in front of the TV for the ceremony, which is why they have coughed up bullshit nominations like Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp for The Tourist.  This is just an extension of that.

• Love 1

I have since found out that Ryan Reynolds wrote personal letters to every member of the HFPA asking for Deadpool consideration. That would do it with these people. It's amazing how little it takes when you're got such a small voting body. All it would need are a few people pushing for Deadpool to land those nomination. Marvel should have gotten RDJ to woo HFPA years ago.

As for LMM and La La Land, he could still pull off the song win at the Oscars. He's in London, but has been back over and over for industry events and he is a story. Those things matter. Oscar voters could happily give La La Land the big awards but let song go to LMM as a way of recognizing him and Moana. He'll have to start sending people letters and Hamilton tickets and autographed Mixtapes but I don't think La La Land killing it in the big categories means it'll take song too. Voters love to give credit in the smaller categories.

• Love 3

And, yeah, any other year I would be suspecting Lin Manuel Miranda to be already preparing to get his EGOT, but I'm thinking La La Land will take Best Song, because it seems to be building up momentum at the exact, right moment.

I haven't heard the La La Land song yet, but will be interested to - I feel like Lin-Manuel Miranda and an EGOT may be the one force strong enough to stop La La Land. (Side note - he doesn't have an Emmy yet, does he? I thought the PBS Hamilton doc he exec produced was great, though, and if there's a category that fits into and he's eligible for a trophy, no doubt he'll bring that home too.)

I'm interested to see if the HFPA goes for Moonlight or Manchester by the Sea for the drama win. It sure seems like it would be between those two.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, hendersonrocks said:

I haven't heard the La La Land song yet, but will be interested to - I feel like Lin-Manuel Miranda and an EGOT may be the one force strong enough to stop La La Land. (Side note - he doesn't have an Emmy yet, does he? 

He said he did on SNL.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, hendersonrocks said:

(Side note - he doesn't have an Emmy yet, does he? I thought the PBS Hamilton doc he exec produced was great, though, and if there's a category that fits into and he's eligible for a trophy, no doubt he'll bring that home too.)

He won the Emmy for Original Music & Lyrics a few years ago for a song from a Tony Awards ceremony.  He only needs the Oscar.

22 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Ok, why is Viola only in Supporting Actress? I thought she was the lead actress in that movie.

She's going the category fraud route in the hopes of guaranteeing a win.

• Love 2

I want to see La La Land and Moonlight but I think I'll wait for Netflix or Amazon streaming. I've gotten to the point that I don't want to go to the movies unless I'm going with someone or I want a communal experience (like for a comedy). Too much bad audience behavior intruding on the experience, not to mention all the stress of getting there on time, etc. Otherwise, I'm not that bothered about most of the other contenders being floated.

I wish the Casey Affleck sexual harrassment allegations were getting more coverage. Take Nate Parker out of it, if true, they're beyond the pale and they should be addressed.

Any word on how the costume design race is going? I'm always interested and it never gets much coverage. As far as I know, there aren't any spectacle period pieces under consideration (e.g. Anna Karenina). Jackie has gotten a little coverage for the fashion but I don't find anything in the trailer that exciting. Perhaps La La Land will have something to show.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

Any word on how the costume design race is going? 

Not really.  It's not generally given as a critics' prize, so the first concrete information about the field only comes with the guild prizes in the New Year.

La La Land, if it wins that, would be the first contemporary-set winner since The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert in 1994.  Everything since is either period pieces or fantasy.  But there's also a few solid period contenders (if Jackie doesn't completely lose steam, this might be a place for it to notch a win).  Foreign films are occasionally noticed in this category, so I'd love if The Handmaiden at least got a nomination.