Type keyword(s) to search

Coronation Street - General Discussion

• Start Topic

What WAS Jude doing in South Africa to pay the bills?  I would think it might be a bit difficult to fake the knowledge and education and salary earnings of a marine biologist for any length of time, especially after marriage.  Wouldn't Angie, a freakin' CPA, have done the tax returns (or annual revenue reporting) for the couple?  I don't know if they do that in South Africa, but it seems to me that this particular plotline is a bit...unbelieveable.  Leave him, Angie, and go back home.  The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, and Jude is a bit too much like Crazy Mary for my liking, adopted out or not.

And bye, Aidan.  You knocked it out of the park, but I didn't like you as a character and I hope Eva can do better, (no, not ADAM!) when she's dried her tears.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

What WAS Jude doing in South Africa to pay the bills?  I would think it might be a bit difficult to fake the knowledge and education and salary earnings of a marine biologist for any length of time, especially after marriage.  Wouldn't Angie, a freakin' CPA, have done the tax returns (or annual revenue reporting) for the couple?  I don't know if they do that in South Africa, but it seems to me that this particular plotline is a bit...unbelieveable.  Leave him, Angie, and go back home.  The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, and Jude is a bit too much like Crazy Mary for my liking, adopted out or not.

And bye, Aidan.  You knocked it out of the park, but I didn't like you as a character and I hope Eva can do better, (no, not ADAM!) when she's dried her tears.

I asked the same question in a post too. ( I thought they were in Australia but yeah it was south Africa ) it just seems like Jude wouldn't be able to carry on with that for years.  The money alone would send up red flags for Angie. 

• Love 1

Yeah, now that I think about it a bit more, it must be pretty difficult to fake an official statement of earnings from an employer, so how did he fool Angie? Not the sharpest knife in the drawer is Jude ?

• Love 1
On 2018-05-22 at 2:33 PM, Coffeewinewater said:

I asked the same question in a post too. ( I thought they were in Australia but yeah it was south Africa ) it just seems like Jude wouldn't be able to carry on with that for years.  The money alone would send up red flags for Angie. 

He might have said he was grad student or working as a junior prof they don't make much.

Watching Eva listening to Peter with Simon and Susie confirmed what I've thought about her reasons for giving up her baby. I don't think it was ever about Aiden and her and more about her not wanting to be a single mom and wanting her kid to have a dad.  The show has never said anything about her father but it seems like he was absentee.  I think she wants to give Susie a mum and a dad and thought Peter and Toyah could do that.

• Love 1

I don't know how on earth Eva managed to hide her pregnancy from everyone on the street, including her own damn sister, because it is now perfectly obvious that she just had a baby.  So many stupid plotlines, so little time.

• Love 2

What has happened to Norris?  Did they explain where he is?

Yes, the Eva pregnancy plot line has been dumb and just really cemented my dislike of Toyah.  Why on earth didn’t she tell Peter?  Except to create soap opera lies and secrets storyline.

• Love 1
On 2018-05-28 at 2:53 PM, Red Bridey said:

I don't know how on earth Eva managed to hide her pregnancy from everyone on the street, including her own damn sister, because it is now perfectly obvious that she just had a baby.  So many stupid plotlines, so little time.

And suddenly Rosie is wearing lots of loose clothing, standing behind tables/counters, and sitting down a lot ?

I thought they were all being arseholes to Jenny - I know it's grieving but I hate when characters all pick on the one person because they think they're better then them. You don't see Johnny lashing out at Liz.

• Love 1
(edited)

Rosie left pretty quickly.  The show seems to be losing so many actors.  

I don't necessarily dislike Alya , she is annoying as hell most of the time. I never thought Luke should have been  with her. However Aiden did trust her and was very close to her. She took him in when he was homeless. She worked hard by side. I can see why he left the factory to her. I'm sure Carla will end up with it but I do think Aiden wanted her to be a part of underworld. 

Edited by Coffeewinewater
On 6/1/2018 at 3:48 PM, Coffeewinewater said:

I must have missed Aiden and Sophie's close friendship,  they were good friends?

Jenny has always gotten on my last nerve but I actually felt bad for her when Johnny was screaming at her.

They became close after Kate broke Sophie's heart so she could be with her "one true love". Kate kept acting like she just couldn't understand why Sophia didn't want to be in the same room with her... and Aiden came to Sophie's defense. He also encouraged Sophie when she was trying to get a hostessing job at a swank restaurant... even going so far as driving her to the interview. He was the one who spotted (in one of Rosie's selfies) the head chef kissing the woman who eventually got the job... and commiserated with Sophie  over the job loss. It seems like the writers were trying to set up lots of memorable connections to make his suicide even sadder.

I get that Johnny is grieving... but, his mean-spirited jabs at his wife and mourners is really irritating. He blames Sophie for not returning Aiden's text... But, Johnny didn't pick up on any of the distress signals Aiden had been sending out for weeks. So he should tamp down his blame game.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, 40Love said:

They became close after Kate broke Sophie's heart so she could be with her "one true love". Kate kept acting like she just couldn't understand why Sophia didn't want to be in the same room with her... and Aiden came to Sophie's defense. He also encouraged Sophie when she was trying to get a hostessing job at a swank restaurant... even going so far as driving her to the interview. He was the one who spotted (in one of Rosie's selfies) the head chef kissing the woman who eventually got the job... and commiserated with Sophie  over the job loss. It seems like the writers were trying to set up lots of memorable connections to make his suicide even sadder.

I get that Johnny is grieving... but, his mean-spirited jabs at his wife and mourners is really irritating. He blames Sophie for not returning Aiden's text... But, Johnny didn't pick up on any of the distress signals Aiden had been sending out for weeks. So he should tamp down his blame game.

Thank you. Your post brought some of that back. I remember that now.

I hear you about Johnny. I feel for him. Grieving is hard and different for everyone. He's just so nasty I'm finding it hard to feel for him. Especially when Liz was sharing her own experience of loosing a child. I thought,  damn, Jenny also lost a child.

• Love 1
On 6/12/2018 at 1:15 PM, Coffeewinewater said:

I hear you about Johnny. I feel for him. Grieving is hard and different for everyone. He's just so nasty I'm finding it hard to feel for him. Especially when Liz was sharing her own experience of loosing a child. I thought,  damn, Jenny also lost a child

I get that the writers are trying to illustrate how suicide/death affects couples and sometimes leads to a break-up... but they're making Johnny too harsh on Jenny. IMO it would be way more effective if the writer had him just shutdown. Non-communication can drive a wedge between couples... better than him being so nasty he is to her.

• Love 1
On 2018-06-08 at 10:55 PM, Emily Thrace said:

I really want someone to smack Alya in her smug face. I get thinking Eileen knew something but being a smug bitch about it is something else. I actually want to see Snarla take the factory from her.

Snarla ?

Has Kirk always been so dumb? He just seems clueless and thick as two short planks. And Beth is an irritating airhead. This business with Kirk and the dog lady is ridiculous.

• Love 2
On 6/20/2018 at 11:24 AM, Capricasix said:

Snarla ?

Has Kirk always been so dumb? He just seems clueless and thick as two short planks. And Beth is an irritating airhead. This business with Kirk and the dog lady is ridiculous.

Yes, Kirk has always been pretty thick. LOL! But I agree, he and the dog lady is beyond silly. *heavy sigh* But, then again, so is Rosie and Gemma break up a cocaine ring. WTH!

And don't get me started on the whole "Gayle gets conned by a psychic" storyline. Talk about ridiculous! Watching that stupid "woe-is-me" expression Gayle puts on her face irritates me so much. She really is one of the most pathetic characters on that street.  I just can't stand her character. 

• Love 1

The Connors remain hateful. I have zero sympathy for them at this stage despite the show attempting at every opportunity to remind us that Toyah and Eva are the bad guys.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Chas411 said:

The Connors remain hateful. I have zero sympathy for them at this stage despite the show attempting at every opportunity to remind us that Toyah and Eva are the bad guys.

Omg, yes. Michelle coming into the rovers just kick an already down Eva was hateful as hell. 

I knew something was up with that Kayla. 

Yeah, I have really liked how Eva and Toyah have become sisters separate from Leanne after their rocky start, so even though they of course made a huge mistake with this baby lie, the way they are being treated really grosses me out.

• Love 2

Okay: I hate (in no particular order) Johnny, Carla, Kate, Michelle, Adam, Ryan, Ali, Toyah, Beth, Alyah, and the other crying lesbian whose name I don't care enough to remember.  Who do I like?  Eileen and she's GONE.  I am kinda glad she went with the new mother (name? can't remember) because I had a hard time telling her apart from Shona.  I like Eva, though she's kind of a dumbass.  Will any of the Old Dears ever retire?  I can't wait to retire and I'm not 60 yet!

I read that Eileen was only going to be gone for a month so it won't be long until she's back.  I liked her with Steve and Tim.   I hated Tim when he first came on the show and now he's just about my favorite.  I agree with all those you listed.   I'd also add Seb's mom and Fitz.   

• Love 2
11 hours ago, sas616 said:

I read that Eileen was only going to be gone for a month so it won't be long until she's back.  I liked her with Steve and Tim.   I hated Tim when he first came on the show and now he's just about my favorite.  I agree with all those you listed.   I'd also add Seb's mom and Fitz.   

That's good to know regarding Eileen.  I've had moments when I wasn't crazy about her but too many good actors leaving imo.

I can't stand Abby. Everything about her annoys me. It might change, I couldn't stand Gemma at first now I really enjoy her (except when Henry is around).

Tracy and Steve crack me up as a couple. They barely seem to like each other but it works for me. Lol.

I'm not sure how I feel the Sean homeless storyline.  They seem to not be doing much with it. But all Sean's storylines seem like that. 

The Conner's owning the Rovers ,  I don't care about. Maybe they'll hang on to it longer than Toya and Peter.

Why is Henry back on the show?

• Love 2

Tracy and Steve are pretty funny! I like Gemma when she's quiet. Can't stand all the screaming. Feel sad about Sean being homeless. It just seems so weird that he wouldn't just tell his friends he's got no where to go. I can't imagine being that proud about anything. He's starving and freezing for goodness sake. Tell someone!

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, 40Love said:

Tracy and Steve are pretty funny! I like Gemma when she's quiet. Can't stand all the screaming. Feel sad about Sean being homeless. It just seems so weird that he wouldn't just tell his friends he's got no where to go. I can't imagine being that proud about anything. He's starving and freezing for goodness sake. Tell someone!

I agree with you about Sean. Eileen has a full house. But he had been staying with Fizz, I  missed why he moved out. 

34 minutes ago, Coffeewinewater said:

I agree with you about Sean. Eileen has a full house. But he had been staying with Fizz, I  missed why he moved out. 

Fizz was trying to get her groove back with Tyrone and thought having Sean in the house would cramp their style. She was under the impression Sean had a posh job and could afford to get his own place. He tried to stall as long as he could... but after beating around the bush, she flat out him to get the hell out. Instead of telling Fizz he lost the job and was seriously low on cash, he just moved out... with no place to go! She would have let him stay if he had just told her the truth.  Pride is a b*tch!

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, 40Love said:

Fizz was trying to get her groove back with Tyrone and thought having Sean in the house would cramp their style. She was under the impression Sean had a posh job and could afford to get his own place. He tried to stall as long as he could... but after beating around the bush, she flat out him to get the hell out. Instead of telling Fizz he lost the job and was seriously low on cash, he just moved out... with no place to go! She would have let him stay if he had just told her the truth.  Pride is a b*tch!

Ok , thank you, that does sound familiar. 

When Gemma first appeared, I could not stand her either.  Love her now, though wish she'd tone it down a decibel or two at times.   Has she lost some weight?  Seems like she's thinner now.

Also remember I felt the same way about Tim when he popped up.   They really changed his character and just love him.  He and Steve are a hoot together.  

Agree about Abby, though.   Yuck. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Chas411 said:

Dreading the inevitable affair between Steve and Abby. Would love if they could just surprise us and not go there.

Heh... you just know it's going to happen! Steve seems to be quite the Coronation Street woman magnet! 

• Love 2

And we know who's going to be the first to find out about it.....Beth. ugh Steve really? another affair?

Gemma has lost weight. I remember she used wear very small shirts that didn't cover belly. She's pretty slim now. 

I forgot to mention, I read something on Facebook saying some fans think Abi is like Becky and that's pushes Steve towards Abi. I didn't watch during that time so have no idea if this rings true. What do you all think? Isn't Becky, Kylie's sister?

Edited by Coffeewinewater
On 2018-08-07 at 5:33 PM, 40Love said:

There seem to be a lot of couch-surfers in Weatherfield...Sean was at Fiz’s house, of course (and how does one get to be his age and not rent an apartment, at least? Didn’t he used to work at Underworld?); Abi and Seb at Eileen’s; Carla is staying at Roy’s (unless she has her own place); Ali and Ryan at Michelle and Robert’s apartment; and where’s Shona living these days? Back with David, or is she still at Billy’s place?

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Capricasix said:

There seem to be a lot of couch-surfers in Weatherfield...Sean was at Fiz’s house, of course (and how does one get to be his age and not rent an apartment, at least? Didn’t he used to work at Underworld?); Abi and Seb at Eileen’s; Carla is staying at Roy’s (unless she has her own place); Ali and Ryan at Michelle and Robert’s apartment; and where’s Shona living these days? Back with David, or is she still at Billy’s place?

Haha, yes, lots of couch surfing. 

I'm assuming Shona is back at David's.  Billy would definitely take in Sean. If Sean asked of course.

Didn't Billy break Sean's heart?  Oh well, pride goes before a fall.  Living conditions in those terrace houses boggle the mind.  I think at one point Gail had eight people living with her!  I get that these characters are poor and paying the rent is difficult, but then you see someone like Steve...STEVE MACDONALD...being expected to pay for a sixth (?) engagement ring, a castle wedding, etc...he's no Bill Gates, but Tracy is taking him for every penny.  I would love to see someone normal, who goes to University, gets a good stable job, marries ONE person, and still manages to be entertaining.  Oh well, that is certainly not a scenario made for Corrie.  Maybe Daniel will be that character, but...I don't like him either...

• Love 1

How do they manage with those little tiny bar fridges? Is that really representative of terrace-house living? And the washing machines in the kitchen always get me - where does the water drain? In the kitchen sink? Or are they connected directly to the pipe, like a dishwasher? That’s a lot of questions ?

On 9/4/2018 at 1:55 AM, Capricasix said:

How do they manage with those little tiny bar fridges? Is that really representative of terrace-house living? And the washing machines in the kitchen always get me - where does the water drain? In the kitchen sink? Or are they connected directly to the pipe, like a dishwasher? That’s a lot of questions ?

Very few houses in the UK have separate utility rooms for washing machines, etc, so washing machines in the kitchen is very normal. My own washing machine is washing away merrily in my kitchen as I type! It is plumbed into the pipes, of course it is - it's a kitchen, so the pipes are already right there!

In short, yes, small kitchens with all utilities crammed in (whatever size will fit) is very representative of terraced houses, most of which were thrown up at speed in the 19th century, during the industrial boom when the population of cities like Manchester were growing faster than housing provision could keep pace with, and they were built for working class families, for whom affordability and proximity to the workplace were far greater considerations than space, which was a luxury very few could afford - homes were built to the specs of the landlords, seeking to maximise profit, rather than to the needs and comfort of the actual occupants. And when those houses were built, there was no such thing as dishwashers or washing machines for any space provision to need to be made for them - in fact, many of those working class houses would have started out with no indoor toilets, even (I grew up in an end-of-terrace which still had an outdoor toilet, although we'd also had an indoor toilet installed by then also). The earliest and smallest terraces sometimes didn't even have a separate kitchen, they'd have cooked over an open fire in the sitting room, with all other rooms pressed into service as living space for large families (sometimes with a communal bakehouse and water pump at the end of the street) - I've seen examples of workarounds later installed to resolve such space issues, although many of those really tiny houses have since either been demolished or knocked through to create larger properties.

That said, many of the houses in Corrie do seem rather TARDIS-like, given the number of people they manage to squeeze into such tiny living spaces! In real life, in this day and age, most families the size of some of those in the show would move to larger properties, if they could afford it.

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 2

I would watch a Brian and Roy solve mysteries show. 

Toya looked good Tracy's old clothes.  I never noticed her "hippy" style as Mora  pointed out but thought she looked very put together in the red and black.

Can they just do away with Josh.  I don't care if he's blind and I don't care about Billy's guilt.

Gail gets on my nerves but I'd be just as pissed as she is if my family was like meh, he conned you , move on. 

• Love 1

I have been out sick for two days and finally caught up with five weeks' worth of (Canadian) Corrie episodes!  The washing machines in those tiny row house kitchens are probably combo washer/dryers...an appliance I first delighted in in Ireland.  Though a family member threw three pairs of jeans in the wash and it took a whole day to dry them out.  But back to the show: Jim is back and up to no good!  Yippee!  I'm not liking Tyrone and his sucking up to "Nan."  How long will it take him to realize that every word out of her mouth is a lie and his bio mom probably lives around the corner?  Loved her handling of the monster children and Brian.  But she is a cow and it will end in tears, I say, it will end in tears!  Poor Sally; you know, you should listen to your brief.  Even though she's shagging your daughter.  Why that pisses Sally off I have no idea.  I was very glad to see the sister GO TO BED instead of throwing herself at Tim after they watched some movie.  Such a relief!  But then Steve had to have a fling with Leanne and my delight in some people not being led by their hormones fizzled out.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

Poor Sally; you know, you should listen to your brief.  Even though she's shagging your daughter. 

I don't feel sorry for Sally. She's such a silly woman. Her ego and pride have led to every bad thing that's happened to her so far. Calling a witness and threatening her right before her court date... what was she thinking? Even her conversation with her cellmate was stupid. I do feel bad that she got beat up. But again, her ego and pride put her in that position. Why, oh why would she tell that stranger, who was in prison for only God knows what, that she had a lot of money? Because she just couldn't resist the urge to brag and feel superior. Her legal predicament is also a result of her ego and pride. Why did she bypass all the rules and regulations to help out that conman, a virtual stranger? Because she wanted to show off and act like she was all powerful and influential. Silly, silly woman! 

• Love 1

I'm so confused.  So Carla now has the money to buy out Nick's half of the factory? I thought Peter only came in as a partner because carla didn't have the money to pay off Aliya (?). Dont why I'm confused these people buy and sell companies, flat ect at the drop of a hat ?.

Still curious where Norris is??