Type keyword(s) to search

Coronation Street - General Discussion

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

Okay, Corrie experts.  Once again I must have missed a couple of episodes.  What happened to Sophie that caused Kevin to try to raise money that of course led to the ruin of the garage at the hands of Evil Phelan?  Last time I heard, she was going to Florida? California? with Rosie.

She developed appendicitis while in the US and didn't have sufficient travel insurance to cover the cost of her surgery.

Thanks!  But wouldn't the National Health Service have some kind of reciprocity with American hospitals?  Oh, yes, our wonderful American health system doesn't cover travelers.  I knew an American kid who broke his arm while on vacation in the Lake District and the family was never presented with a bill as far as I know.

6 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

Thanks!  But wouldn't the National Health Service have some kind of reciprocity with American hospitals?  Oh, yes, our wonderful American health system doesn't cover travelers.  I knew an American kid who broke his arm while on vacation in the Lake District and the family was never presented with a bill as far as I know.

No, NHS doesn't provide coverage for British citizens abroad, it is the responsibility of the individual to take out appropriate travel insurance, which Sophie evidently didn't. She's 21 and a medical crisis never occurred to her. But NHS does cover foreign nationals holidaying here, yes, so a Brit taken ill in America has to pay for their treatment (or their insurance does) but an American taken ill in the UK does not have to pay for their treatment.

Having said all that, the £15K Sophie needed for her surgery falls far short of the bill she would likely have been given in real life! So maybe she did have some insurance but not enough? Or maybe it was just a plot device...;)

On 2017-02-25 at 1:31 PM, TeeVee329 said:

The reveal scenes yesterday surrounding Steve being the father of Leanne's baby were soapy goodness, and the actress who plays Michelle was really good.

Yeah they haven't aired here yet but I can't wait. One thing I'm liking about the new head is that she is keeping an intense pace but isn't resorting to bombastic stunts. I just hope she can sustain it.

Also there is a lot of speculation about what Shoane connection to Kylie is so I'm going to throw my guess out there right now. I think she could be Kylie's half sister. It was said she and Becky were half sister with the same mother. I suspect she and Shoana have the same father. She actually looks more like than Becky did for one.

I'm looking forward to it the Steve is the dad reveal.

I really haven't warmed up to Toya and her insta story with Peter.  They just seem like a weird fit except for the 'shock' of her being Leanne's sister.  And why she is always wearing such dowdy, frumpy clothes.  I love Peter but hate his current storyline, big yawn.

• Love 1
On 11/03/2017 at 1:28 PM, Tiggertoo said:

I'm looking forward to it the Steve is the dad reveal.

I really haven't warmed up to Toya and her insta story with Peter.  They just seem like a weird fit except for the 'shock' of her being Leanne's sister.  And why she is always wearing such dowdy, frumpy clothes.  I love Peter but hate his current storyline, big yawn.

I actually think Nicky is right on this one (it was bound to happen eventually) that Peter is only with Toyah because he can't have Leanne. Since Ben Price (Nicks actor) is leaving and Toyahs actress hasn't been given a permanent contract I have a feeling the whole thing is just a false start. I suspect Peter and Leanne are the end game.

I also think that Peter taking over the Rovers isn't the worst idea ever as some seem to think. I get that his history makes it seem like a terrible idea but he wouldn't be the first alcoholic to own a bar. I think the writers are bored with Peter falling off the wagon so it wouldn't be their first story. It might be a good way to shake things up. I've liked Steve owning the Rovers but I don't think it would change things much for him. Peter would keep Liz on. (They have so much history it would be interesting to see how that would work). I also think Peter would be good at it and a Barlow owning the Rovers makes a lot of sense.

Edited by Emily Thrace

Watching the Canadian feed. 

I am SO TIRED of writers thinking that babies are delivered within half an hour of the water breaking.  Seriously, it's called "labor" for a REASON.  There is absolutely no way Leeanne would have pushed that baby out in an hour, especially since it's her first baby.  I am not thrilled with any of the current plots, to be honest, but this one is just ridiculous.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

Watching the Canadian feed. 

I am SO TIRED of writers thinking that babies are delivered within half an hour of the water breaking.  Seriously, it's called "labor" for a REASON.  There is absolutely no way Leeanne would have pushed that baby out in an hour, especially since it's her first baby.  I am not thrilled with any of the current plots, to be honest, but this one is just ridiculous.

I know it's a TV trope for babies to be born fast in emergency situations, but it can and does happen in real life. A friend of mine had her water break in the kitchen one day, without having previously had any labour warnings - and the baby was born just 15 minutes later, before the ambulance had even arrived. And that was a first child. Her second was likewise born after just 20 minutes of active labour. Some women are prone to rapid deliveries.

On 2017-04-28 at 4:44 PM, rcc said:

I'm watching the show via the CBC and I absolutely hate the whole narration. It takes me right out of the scenes. Anybody else hate it?

What narration are you referring to?  I don't have narration.  Did you hit a setting on your TV?

24 minutes ago, Tiggertoo said:

What narration are you referring to?  I don't have narration.  Did you hit a setting on your TV?

It started after Ken's attack. Before each scene someone off camera tells us what is to happen in that scene. If I had the caption feature on all programs would have the captions at the bottom of the screen. But this is audio narration on Corrie only.

Is it for the CBC only? Are you watching from the UK and not having this issue?

21 hours ago, rcc said:

It started after Ken's attack. Before each scene someone off camera tells us what is to happen in that scene. If I had the caption feature on all programs would have the captions at the bottom of the screen. But this is audio narration on Corrie only.

Is it for the CBC only? Are you watching from the UK and not having this issue?

No, I'm in Toronto, watching on CBC also.  I record it and watch.  I don't have any narration.

I had that happen once to me on a different show.  It's a setting called described video for visually impaired people.  I'm not sure why you're just getting it on one show though.  Maybe call your provider and ask them.

2 hours ago, Tiggertoo said:

No, I'm in Toronto, watching on CBC also.  I record it and watch.  I don't have any narration.

I had that happen once to me on a different show.  It's a setting called described video for visually impaired people.  I'm not sure why you're just getting it on one show though.  Maybe call your provider and ask them.

I checked my settings and captions is turned off. No listing for described video. Thanks for the suggestion about described video. I'll have to call my provider and now I can describe what is happening with the correct term.

It's only happening on Coronation Street. Other shows I watch on the CBC like 30 Minutes and the New Brunswick news don't have it. Dragon's Den reruns don't have it either. I'm watching Bondi Vet right now and it doesn't have it.

It is so strange! 

So excited because yesterday I just discovered Coronation Street is back on Hulu.  I think It disappeared in March 2016 (along with Hollyoaks).    Not sure when it came back, but I have a year of shows to watch!!!!   As I was telling a friend today, some of the stories may stink, but I love the characters. 

• Love 3

In Canada we just now got the episodes with Nick in quick sand and yesterday Bethany being burned by Nathan. It ended with 3 men going into the room with Bethany. Also earlier in the week we saw Daniel's breakdown.

Wow! This show has gotten so good with amazing performances. I can't wait for the next episode. It's hard to watch Bethany and her predicament but it is must see television.

Now if they would just get rid of the annoying Brian!

I really liked the scene from the bachelorette party of the "Never Have I Ever" questions being stacked against Maria, it was a fun bit of history.  The show seems to want us to feel sorry for Maria - and I guess I do, to a degree - but the game was a nice illustration that sleeping with Aidan wasn't a special situation, but that it's kind of a pattern for her.

Though I assume she did drink, I'm sad we didn't get a shot of Sarah knocking back one for the "slept with a gay man" question.

• Love 2

I hate the direction the Eva revenge plot has taken. Maria is a backstabbing bitch who's done this to multiple friends, Aidan is a spineless git yet I get the impression that Eva is supposed to be the villain in all of this. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Chas411 said:

I hate the direction the Eva revenge plot has taken. Maria is a backstabbing bitch who's done this to multiple friends, Aidan is a spineless git yet I get the impression that Eva is supposed to be the villain in all of this. 

Yeah I would like this story a lot better if Maria was the target more than Aiden. She has karma coming for her for years. Although I can't imagine Maria will be very popular after this.

I don't think Maria is popular in anyway. Or at least I can't see how she would be considering her only storyline ever seems to involve her cheating or pursuing mates partners.

id like Aidan to get his comeuppance - he's sorry now but he messes side both girl for a year. Now we're going to be on tenterhooks to see if he can forgive Eva?

No thanks Corrie.

Maria did not come off well at all today, she seems to think Eva's lies cancel out all of her lies and betrayals.  Not quite.  I really enjoyed Kirk cutting to the heart of the matter later at the pub and asking why she keeps doing shit like this and she really didn't have an answer.

The fight in the fountain ruled, but even better was the whole gaggle of characters standing around watching, commenting, taking videos on their phones.  And the smile on Toyah's face when she yelled for Eva to "smack her one" was hilarious.  I love that Eva and Toyah have kinda adopted each other as sisters outside of Leanne. 

Speaking of whom, her not going to the wedding was kinda stupid, but I guess it happened to set up that hissing fight between her and Michelle.  I liked that reverberation.

I'm an in-and-out watcher, but doesn't Sally hate Jenny?  When did they bury the hatchet?

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1

I hate though that Eva spent the episode crying and begging Aidan to take her back. He looks set to dump her again once he learns of Underworld. The storyline list me once he became absolved of all responsibility.

Leanne remains the greatest pain on the cobbles. Not to mention a hypocrite. Wish she'd get off her high horse.

• Love 1

I'm only at the Sept 11 episodes on hulu. I'm so freaking bored with Phealen and Andy . To think, I actually cared when I thought phealen killed andy. That story goes on and on with nothing really happening.  Michelle and Will  are pretty boring to me too. I can't wait to see the fight between Eva and Maria.  Don't worry spoiler stuff for me ,as read stuff about what happening  irt. 

On 9/26/2017 at 6:56 PM, imjagain said:

I'm only at the Sept 11 episodes on hulu. I'm so freaking bored with Phealen and Andy . To think, I actually cared when I thought phealen killed andy. That story goes on and on with nothing really happening.  Michelle and Will  are pretty boring to me too. I can't wait to see the fight between Eva and Maria.  Don't worry spoiler stuff for me ,as read stuff about what happening  irt. 

The fight between Eva and Maria was one of the best Corrie moments in years.

Yeah I'm over Phelan at this point. It feels like there isn't anything new here. Phelan isn't any different than half a dozen Corrie villains before him and he's getting way to much screen time.

I actually like Nicola if that not a contradiction. She actually is something different and works well with Anna and most of the other characters.

I kinda wish they would do more with Peter and Toyah and the Rovers. The scene with Peter scaring of Gemma's worthless internet date was great. Its exactly the type of thing that would make Peter a great landlord if they would write it more often. Peter cares about and has history with most of the street and isn't above meddling a little. He could be a more benign Annie Walker watching over his flock and playing the older brother to most of the street. He needs to ditch Toyah though which I am hoping is still the plan when the whole surrogate deal inevitably goes sideways.  I just hope he stays the fuck away from Carla. (Although from the impression I get I wouldn't be surprised if the actors insisted it was in their contracts that a reunion of their characters was not allowed).

Spoiler

I'll be sad to see Todd go for the characters sake. Although reading between the lines he didn't leave TPTB much choice. That fact that he fired rather than suspended and ITV felt the need to investigate his on set behavior speaks volumes. I suspect someone on set came forward with an allegation actually. Why else would they feel the need for an internal investigation?

I hope Summer stays even if he leaves and Billy has a big story coming up. She's a tough kid and I like her friendship with Amy. Summer more interesting than Faye whose been around for years.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Emily Thrace said:

The fight between Eva and Maria was one of the best Corrie moments in years

It was ok but the storyline ended up being a massive disappointment. Maria got the glory of outing Eva's deceit to everyone and if that wasn't enough Eva ended up being Aidan to take her back? What a load of crap.

• Love 2
On 11/28/2017 at 3:48 AM, Chas411 said:

It was ok but the storyline ended up being a massive disappointment. Maria got the glory of outing Eva's deceit to everyone and if that wasn't enough Eva ended up being Aidan to take her back? What a load of crap.

Omg! Eva begging Aiden pissed me off!

I agree  it ended in such a flat way. (Aiden, Maria ,Eva) I was excited about it all coming then nothing...ugh.

Can some help me. I ff through so much of the show I missed why Anna's daughter  (sorry can't remember her name right know.) Thought she had HIV? I caught them talking them about if she had it she'd get treatment and everything would be fine. I was like huh? I admit I was too lazy/stuborn to go back and rewatch  (phealen storyline is ruining my viewing ).

I wish they would show the rovers more. It seems like most of the cast is missing.

I also missed ( my damn ff finger) how Robert explained his white hair to Michelle but that's fine. He looks way better without the dark fake dye job.

Faye slept with Seb, who slept with an HIV-positive girl before they started dating.  While Seb swore they used conn-doms, one broke one time, freaking out Anna and Tim.

Robert looks so good now; I thought they had recast the part!  (Of course, I love silver foxes!)

• Love 2

They didn’t really explain Robert’s hair colour change.  Michelle didn’t mention it.  He got a bit of teasing at the restaurant.  I didn’t know it was dyed but he looks great either way.

Faye was HIV negative.  See is HIV positive.

Have Moira and Colin left?  Yay, I hated that storyline.  Norris has the shop back.

• Love 1

Carla and Peter shared scenes tonight and I already feel sorry for Toyah. An affair is inevitable. Total rehash of Leanne/Peter but inevitable.

Also I love Alison kings portrayal but I'd forgotten what a writers pet Carla is. She's not even back 5 minutes and a character mentions how Amazing she is in every second scene. The kidney storyline is going to be dire. We all know she'll be fine. I was hoping she'd have a secret child with Robert from their one night stand before she left. Instead we get this dreck.

• Love 2
On 1/4/2018 at 3:00 PM, Chas411 said:

Carla and Peter shared scenes tonight and I already feel sorry for Toyah. An affair is inevitable. Total rehash of Leanne/Peter but inevitable.

Also I love Alison kings portrayal but I'd forgotten what a writers pet Carla is. She's not even back 5 minutes and a character mentions how Amazing she is in every second scene. The kidney storyline is going to be dire. We all know she'll be fine. I was hoping she'd have a secret child with Robert from their one night stand before she left. Instead we get this dreck.

I would like to think Peter and the writers know better at this point. Also as I've noted before I really don't think there is any love lost between Alison King and Chris Gascoyne and the show probably dropped a bundle to get them back. I doubt they would risk making both actors unhappy by putting them back together. Although I totally I agree Carla is a writers Pet so I won't rule it out completely.  Maybe its just shipper goggles but I wonder about Leanne. I noticed how Peter seemed to confide in her about the slip at Christmas. That would be a bit of irony Toyah whips herself up into a frenzy over Carla the enemy without when it her sister that she invited under her roof that's the real threat.

I also have to say the reveal about Susan and the fallout was great and exceeded expectations. Chris Gascoyne was amazing as per usual  and old Bill Roache still has greatness in him. I was even surprised by Adams actor who was much better than expected. I wish we had got more of Tracy in this if only to have more of a female voice but that might be coming. Especially since Peter is struggling with guilt and these new revelations.

• Love 1

Who the hell is Alex (Ali)?  I have watched Corrie since before Michelle and the whole Connor Clan came onto the Street and I don't recall ever hearing or seeing him before.  There was drug-addict Ryan who scarpered off, but no Alex.  And it appears he and Steve knew each other growing up as teenagers?  What?  How did Liz know him?

Edited by Red Bridey
timing
  • Love 1
On 3/10/2018 at 11:11 AM, Red Bridey said:

Who the hell is Alex (Ali)?  I have watched Corrie since before Michelle and the whole Connor Clan came onto the Street and I don't recall ever hearing or seeing him before.  There was drug-addict Ryan who scarpered off, but no Alex.  And it appears he and Steve knew each other growing up as teenagers?  What?  How did Liz know him?

Alex (Ali) is Michelle's biological son... mistakenly switched at birth with Ryan by the hospital. IIRC, the mistake wasn't discovered until the two boys were teenagers. Alex tried living with Michelle for a little while... but, it didn't work out and he went back to live with the couple who raised him. Guess she didn't keep in touch with... since she didn't even know he went to medical school and became a doctor. I get the resentment on his part.

• Love 2

Thanks, 40Love.  I don't remember that plot line AT ALL.  Maybe I've blocked it out because I really dislike every single member of the Connor Clan, from dead Liam (though he was pretty eye candy) to weepy Kate.  They all suck.  And so does this guy, and he's only a bio-Connor!

ETA I do like granny and grampa Connor back in Ireland.  We don't see them much, though.

Edited by Red Bridey
forgot minor characters
  • Love 1

I haven't watched in a while, but I checked out Phelan's downfall and did I hear him right, did he claim he knew where Todd is and that he's in danger?  Is that new information?  Is it true or was he just trying to get Eileen to help him?

I don't think he knows where Todd is.  I believe he said it, thinking Eileen would let him go.    Just finished watching today's episodes.   No surprises there.  Good grief.

• Love 1

I finally somewhat caught up with corrie. 

I am at the episode where Liz and Eileen argue about Pat at lunch , then get into a bigger argument at the rovers lol. I loved it it cracked me up. 

Josh is so creepy. Probably because I know what he does but still ugh, his face skeeve's me  out.

I can't believe Michelle didn't know her bio son went to med school.  I get he didn't want anything to do with her. However in this day and age she could have kept tabs on him. Maybe that's why he didn't her damn curry.

I think I missed Tim and Sally moving ? I watched an episode where Sally said she'd move with Tim . I didn't actually see anything else about it or is it coming up?

Craig and his ocd made feel sad for him. I really liked Bethany for a minute but nope not anymore she just annoys me now.

I'd love go know if Andy and Luke's murders are definitely linked to Pat I really hope so poor Andy locked away all that time. Anna's case too. Although I don't need Anna back screaming on the street. I would love to see her get justice too.