Type keyword(s) to search

Coronation Street - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Spoiler

This business with Paul is just so tragic. My heart is really breaking for him. And the actor, who I'm sure does not want to lose his job and time on set with friends.

Sarah is so fucking stupid and deserves a great big slap.

Also can't wait to see Aaron get his, even if that means the actor loses his job.

Why did they kill off Bill Webster? And did he have a child several years younger than Kevin and Deb?

10 hours ago, politichick said:
  Hide contents

Why did they kill off Bill Webster? And did he have a child several years younger than Kevin and Deb?

Spoiler

The actor who played Bill Webster died a couple of years ago, so he was never going to come back. Killing off the character on-screen allows them to pay tribute to him, in a sense.

I don't remember if there was another Webster child.

13 hours ago, politichick said:
  Hide contents

This business with Paul is just so tragic. My heart is really breaking for him. And the actor, who I'm sure does not want to lose his job and time on set with friends.

Sarah is so fucking stupid and deserves a great big slap.

Also can't wait to see Aaron get his, even if that means the actor loses his job.

Spoiler

Haha! Yes! I’ve hated the character of Sarah since o’brien took over the role. Bringing her and Leanne battersby back in my opinion were two of the worst decisions Corrie writers have ever made. I’m hoping she has an affair, Adam dumps her and she leaves, in disgrace, never to return. 

The Paul storyline has come as a bit of a shock. He’s been down on his luck his whole life, and when they finally give him a glimmer of hope by bringing him and Billy back together, they potentially give him the most devastating diagnosis. I’m hoping the consultant turns out to be wrong, there are still other possibilities at this point. 

Where is everybody?

Spoiler

Poor Paul. What a sad fate and it's only going to get sadder and sadder. The actor is doing a really good job. And, good job he has Dee Dee for a friend to help him get through it. Not looking forward to Billy's reactions to the news; don't really care for the actor and the weird overemphasis of words.

Aadi made a really good point to Aaron about the writing on his forehead and that no, he couldn't consent because like Amy, he was blacked out. He seemed to finally get it, it seemed, but alas, not. Can't wait till he's off the scene.

I'm really not interested in the teen romance storyline, especially with this group of teens: Sam and Eliza are too innocent, and Hope is too evil and manipulating. Her behavior is only going to push Sam and Eliza together.

Elaine is such an idiot. I think I may have asked this before, but has Stephen even ever kissed her?!? He shows no affection and she's starting to act all jealous.

Not a fan of the Sarah/Damon storyline, mostly because I kind of like the rakish Adam, despite his terrible hair product choices.

Michael is the worst actor sometimes. The heavy breathing and pushing his head forward--so weird!

Still here, just very few positive things to say, and don’t want to be labelled the forum grump from constantly moaning 🤣🤣

Spoiler

How I wish the Corrie writers read these forums! The they could see how much the viewers just hate the Stephen storyline-and now they’ve thrown irritatingly obsessed Elaine into the mix it’s 10 times worse! He’s not even a villain we love to hate, he’s just an awful villain. 

I have very mixed feelings about the Aaron storyline. On the one hand I hate it, because I can’t stand the character of Aaron, and I don’t think the actor is particularly good-but on the other, it’s a really important storyline to run. The issue surrounding consent has long been something that kids (and even some adults) need educating on, I just hope it reaches the right demographic. 

r.e the Sarah/Damon storyline, I am thrilled she finally spent the night with him, because I am praying this will be her downfall finally! I cannot stand the character 🤣

• Like 1
On 4/29/2023 at 5:13 AM, Tallulah7606 said:

Still here, just very few positive things to say, and don’t want to be labelled the forum grump from constantly moaning 🤣🤣

Hide contents

How I wish the Corrie writers read these forums! The they could see how much the viewers just hate the Stephen storyline-and now they’ve thrown irritatingly obsessed Elaine into the mix it’s 10 times worse! He’s not even a villain we love to hate, he’s just an awful villain. 

I have very mixed feelings about the Aaron storyline. On the one hand I hate it, because I can’t stand the character of Aaron, and I don’t think the actor is particularly good-but on the other, it’s a really important storyline to run. The issue surrounding consent has long been something that kids (and even some adults) need educating on, I just hope it reaches the right demographic. 

r.e the Sarah/Damon storyline, I am thrilled she finally spent the night with him, because I am praying this will be her downfall finally! I cannot stand the character 🤣

Grump on! Agree with this all. The writers have to know how much people hate the Stephen storyline and long for it to end because certainly they read at the very least clips from the newspapers and there have been many complaints about him and also the many depressing other storylines, one after another.

Not a Sarah fan, but sorry to see Adam get hurt.

I'm also annoyed by what Daisy's doing pretending to be Crystal. That is certain to end in tears!

• Like 1
On 5/23/2023 at 9:53 PM, politichick said:

Come back, everyone! There's so much to unpack!

Still here, just a little behind. Only just started watching this weeks episodes. I’ve taken to Fast forwarding any scenes with the Aldi version of Richard Hillman and drippy Elaine

• Like 2

On Canada time here.  I’m now convinced that Stephen will stay forever, just occasionally murdering people and getting away with it.  No one knows or cares about a father and son suddenly disappearing?

Trying to think of what I like about the show.  Hmmmm.  I like Daisy and Daniel.  Amy, Steve, Tracy.

Can’t stand Paul, Summer, Billy, (Paul can murder those three, please and thanks), Gemma (and I used to really enjoy her).

• Like 2
(edited)
Spoiler

so what did we think about Gemma's wedding dress? I thought it really suited her.  The color was great on her too. Obviously, it was ridiculously over the top but I suppose that was to be expected.

https://www.nationaltvawards.com/voting is open

If you're interested, the show is up for best serial drama.  The actors who play Amy, Alya, Daisy, Evelyn, Paul and Ryan are all up for best serial drama performance.  The actress who plays Dee Dee is up for rising star.

Voting ends June 2 11 p.m. BST.  You can vote in as many categories as you want, but only for one contender per category and only once per email address.

Edited by Badger
forgot time
  • Like 1

I record the week’s episodes and watch them all on Sunday.

Lately I find myself fast forwarding through a lot of characters because there are so many boring parts . The writing has been flat for months and I only keep watching in hopes that it perks up again. I don’t think there is a single storyline I care about.

• Like 1
Spoiler

Just getting caught up on the weeks episodes! 

I am GLEEFUL that Sarah has finally been found out, now, if only there was some reason that Stephen needed to kill her then he could almost redeem himself by getting rid of one of the worst characters and actors ever seen on Corrie. If he gets rid of her and Leanne then all is forgiven 🤣

On 6/10/2023 at 7:57 AM, Tallulah7606 said:
  Hide contents

Just getting caught up on the weeks episodes! 

I am GLEEFUL that Sarah has finally been found out, now, if only there was some reason that Stephen needed to kill her then he could almost redeem himself by getting rid of one of the worst characters and actors ever seen on Corrie. If he gets rid of her and Leanne then all is forgiven 🤣

Spoiler

Sarah is obnoxious but I don't hate her. Love that Harry refused to be gaslighted. Shame on her!

It looks like Stephen's comeuppance starts this week and I cannot wait. Do not like him and his stupid accent AT ALL.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, politichick said:
  Hide contents

Sarah is obnoxious but I don't hate her. Love that Harry refused to be gaslighted. Shame on her!

It looks like Stephen's comeuppance starts this week and I cannot wait. Do not like him and his stupid accent AT ALL.

And it IS a fake accent!!! 

he really is Canadian in real life, but his accent is a mix of English and Canadian, he’s clearly forgotten how he used to sound before he flew over, because it now sounds horribly forced and sets my teeth on edge 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Tallulah7606 said:

And it IS a fake accent!!! 

he really is Canadian in real life, but his accent is a mix of English and Canadian, he’s clearly forgotten how he used to sound before he flew over, because it now sounds horribly forced and sets my teeth on edge 

He's  actually  an American  actor.

• Like 1

Well, he should just use his own accent and Canadian pronunciations of certain words. There was a Canadian series I used to watch and the characters did not accents. He sucks.

Spoiler

I'm hoping that his downfall is in the works now as he's starting to make mistakes. May have to watch again, but it seems that he left the bread when he returned to the flat, saw Elaine on the floor, and then left. Hopefully Tim will say, hmmm, why is the bread here. But he's kind of dim, so who knows.

Why does Max have to date Bec? The friend, whose name escapes me now, was really nice to him and I've actually been hoping he'll become a regular once he gets out. Max should not be trying to get with his bird! Bros before hos, dude!

3 hours ago, politichick said:

Well, he should just use his own accent and Canadian pronunciations of certain words. There was a Canadian series I used to watch and the characters did not accents. He sucks.

Hide contents

I'm hoping that his downfall is in the works now as he's starting to make mistakes. May have to watch again, but it seems that he left the bread when he returned to the flat, saw Elaine on the floor, and then left. Hopefully Tim will say, hmmm, why is the bread here. But he's kind of dim, so who knows.

Why does Max have to date Bec? The friend, whose name escapes me now, was really nice to him and I've actually been hoping he'll become a regular once he gets out. Max should not be trying to get with his bird! Bros before hos, dude!

Spoiler

I just read about the bread. The friends  name is Gav.

I really only came here to say how much the writers p*ssed me off with Paul falling over. 
That is NOT how people behave when they see someone fall like that-especially up North, and trust me-I fall a LOT! 
Never in my life have I seen people behave in such a disgusting manner when they see someone hurt themselves. 

3 hours ago, Tallulah7606 said:

I really only came here to say how much the writers p*ssed me off with Paul falling over. 
That is NOT how people behave when they see someone fall like that-especially up North, and trust me-I fall a LOT! 
Never in my life have I seen people behave in such a disgusting manner when they see someone hurt themselves. 

It wouldn't happen in most places I've been. There's always someone who would offer to help even if he was obviously drunk (which he wasn't).

On 6/24/2023 at 8:45 PM, Shrek said:

It wouldn't happen in most places I've been. There's always someone who would offer to help even if he was obviously drunk (which he wasn't).

Exactly! It’s just not human nature. The sneering was way over the top too 

Apparently the woman doing the sneering was played by Paul's real-life mum.

Spoiler

Kevin is back and I was glad to see him. It's been soooo long! And good job, too, because Tyrone will likely spiral when he finds out his mother is still alive and that Evelyn was lying all along. Still, it seems as though the woman always will be a bloody junkie. Evelyn should have just been honest about it.

And because it cannot be said too often, Stephen needs to get his comeuppance ASAP!!!!!

• Like 1

So sad that no one's ever here because nobody that I know in real life watches Corrie or has even heard of it!

Anyway, 

Spoiler

I really cannot stand Beth. She is so self-righteous and vindictive and reactive that it makes me sick. Yeah, Gemma was taking on too much and obviously too overwhelmed to be watching over 6 kids at once, but she is also a kind-hearted person who would never hurt a fly AND also dealing with all of this Paul stuff. 

Whenever we're in her house, I always wonder about the sleeping arrangements. Is Bernie sharing a room with one of the kids? And poor Joseph is too old to have to share with children so young. Hopefully he has the loft. Boy's gotta get his homework done! Are the houses in that type of neighborhood really so small?

Continue to loathe Stephen, but thankfully Elaine is starting to see the light. Time for that bastard to go down like a sinking ship!!!

(edited)
25 minutes ago, politichick said:

So sad that no one's ever here because nobody that I know in real life watches Corrie or has even heard of it!

Anyway, 

Reveal spoiler

I really cannot stand Beth. She is so self-righteous and vindictive and reactive that it makes me sick. Yeah, Gemma was taking on too much and obviously too overwhelmed to be watching over 6 kids at once, but she is also a kind-hearted person who would never hurt a fly AND also dealing with all of this Paul stuff. 

Whenever we're in her house, I always wonder about the sleeping arrangements. Is Bernie sharing a room with one of the kids? And poor Joseph is too old to have to share with children so young. Hopefully he has the loft. Boy's gotta get his homework done! Are the houses in that type of neighborhood really so small?

Continue to loathe Stephen, but thankfully Elaine is starting to see the light. Time for that bastard to go down like a sinking ship!!!

The houses are usually 2 rooms downstairs (sitting room & drawing room) plus a kitchen with a bathroom at the back of that and 3 bedrooms upstairs with one being more of a box room. Most houses of that era have had the downstairs 2 rooms knocked through for a bigger single living area. I grew up in a house just like the ones shown, had to get up in the morning & build a coal fire in the living room in winter but my bedroom had the chimnet stach running through it so it was always warm when I went to bed. 

My first house was a terraced house just like these that had to be totally updated (totally rewired etc) before moving in as it had belonged to my fiances grandparents since they were first married and was the only house they had ever owned. 

So to answer your question, yes they really are that small.

Edited by Shrek
  • Like 1
(edited)

To echo what @Shrek said, yes, terraced houses in an industrial city in the UK really are that small. There are plenty of variations on the shape and size, some are a little bigger than others, but they are all variations on the same theme. Those in Corrie are 'two up, two down', with a kitchen at the back and perhaps a box room over the stairs. The oldest of that type of house, built during the industrial revolution to house working class families, wouldn't even have had indoor bathrooms at the time they were built, all that was reconfigured in later. The house I grew up in, which was originally built to house railway workers, had two bedrooms and a box, to house a family of five - my dad extended the boxroom out over the stairs and built a cabin bed into it for my brother to have a bit more space. And we still had the old outdoor toilet out in the garden from when the house was first built, although by the time my parents bought the house in 1972 it already had a proper indoor bathroom as well. Lots of people living in such houses these days also have loft conversions, to create extra bedrooms. I've an idea Chesney and Gemma might have a loft conversion - I vaguely remember talk of one, at any rate; I'm hazy on whether the work was actually done or not.

The Rhyd-y-Car cottages at the St Fagan's Folk Museum in Cardiff demonstrate just how tiny such terraces could be. Mind-blowing to realise just how large some of the families were that were crammed into these houses.

Edited by Llywela
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Llywela said:

To echo what @Shrek said, yes, terraced houses in an industrial city in the UK really are that small. There are plenty of variations on the shape and size, some are a little bigger than others, but they are all variations on the same theme. Those in Corrie are 'two up, two down', with a kitchen at the back and perhaps a box room over the stairs. The oldest of that type of house, built during the industrial revolution to house working class families, wouldn't even have had indoor bathrooms at the time they were built, all that was reconfigured in later. The house I grew up in, which was originally built to house railway workers, had two bedrooms and a box, to house a family of five - my dad extended the boxroom out over the stairs and built a cabin bed into it for my brother to have a bit more space. And we still had the old outdoor toilet out in the garden from when the house was first built, although by the time my parents bought the house in 1972 it already had a proper indoor bathroom as well. Lots of people living in such houses these days also have loft conversions, to create extra bedrooms. I've an idea Chesney and Gemma might have a loft conversion - I vaguely remember talk of one, at any rate; I'm hazy on whether the work was actually done or not.

The Rhyd-y-Car cottages at the St Fagan's Folk Museum in Cardiff demonstrate just how tiny such terraces could be. Mind-blowing to realise just how large some of the families were that were crammed into these houses.

I had forgotten about the outhouse at the bottom of the garden. That's why the bathroom was tacked on behind the kitchen in both houses. Mine still had the outhouse building but had concrete poured into the actual hole. Spent many a school trip at St. Fagans Folk Museum (lived in Barry), well worth a visit for anyone planning on travelling to the area. 

• Like 1
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Shrek said:

I had forgotten about the outhouse at the bottom of the garden. That's why the bathroom was tacked on behind the kitchen in both houses. Mine still had the outhouse building but had concrete poured into the actual hole. Spent many a school trip at St. Fagans Folk Museum (lived in Barry), well worth a visit for anyone planning on travelling to the area. 

Our outdoor bathroom was still plumbed in and functional when I was a child, although we all hated it - so cold and full of spiders! But handy in a pinch, if the indoor loo was occupied. It was eventually disconnected and became a garden store. When my Nan was a child living in Caerphilly in the '30s, her nextdoor neighbours had about 11/12 children crammed into one of those tiny terraced houses. They all worked in shifts (mines and factories, it would have been) and also slept in shifts! I always found the Rhyd-y-Car cottages in St Fagan's fascinating, seeing how differently the limited space available could be used - building a kitchen out in the garden shed, for instance! And that one house where there was a bath tucked under the kitchen counter, which folded up to allow the bath to be used. The past is another country, they do things different there!

I'm wondering now if it was Tyrone and Fiz who had the loft conversion in Corrie, rather than Chesney and Gemma. I'm sure it was one or the other who at least talked about it. I think Chesney and Gemma need it more!

Edited by Llywela
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Shrek said:

My gran  only had an outdoor outhouse,  I absolutely  hated it, the spiders alone made me not want to use it.

Only up to Wednesdays episode, but two things…

1. I spent the whole episode going “who the bloody hell is Henry Newton??” (Had to google it in the end-I remember him now, but he’s such a random person to bring back) 

2. Sarah Platt! 😡😡

I have NO words. 

On 7/15/2023 at 7:14 AM, Tallulah7606 said:

Only up to Wednesdays episode, but two things…

1. I spent the whole episode going “who the bloody hell is Henry Newton??” (Had to google it in the end-I remember him now, but he’s such a random person to bring back) 

2. Sarah Platt! 😡😡

I have NO words. 

Yeah, she is truly an idiot.

Spoiler

I cannot wait to get home to watch tonight's episode, as Stephen's comeuppance is finally about to begin. I really can't stand the character and the actor who plays him. And when is Audrey going to find out about how he stole her money. It seems so unrealistic that she has not an inkling about what's going on and makes absolutely no sense.

I hope Henry Newton gives Gemma a job. I hate it that she's always so stinking poor. I also hope that Chesney doesn't make a big deal out of it with his ridiculous pride and stubborness. I was watching some 2011 episodes and he drove me mad sometimes, like when he went to Charlotte's parents' house, which led to a whole bit of trouble and got Fiz sent to jail and then not paying the rent, almost getting evicted, and spending Owen's money on the poor dog's hopeless case. He was super young back then, so hopefully things have changed.

If their fortunes do improve, I hope they move to a bigger house!

What has Carla done with all of her fashionable clothes?

56 minutes ago, politichick said:

Yeah, she is truly an idiot.

Hide contents

I cannot wait to get home to watch tonight's episode, as Stephen's comeuppance is finally about to begin. I really can't stand the character and the actor who plays him. And when is Audrey going to find out about how he stole her money. It seems so unrealistic that she has not an inkling about what's going on and makes absolutely no sense.

I hope Henry Newton gives Gemma a job. I hate it that she's always so stinking poor. I also hope that Chesney doesn't make a big deal out of it with his ridiculous pride and stubborness. I was watching some 2011 episodes and he drove me mad sometimes, like when he went to Charlotte's parents' house, which led to a whole bit of trouble and got Fiz sent to jail and then not paying the rent, almost getting evicted, and spending Owen's money on the poor dog's hopeless case. He was super young back then, so hopefully things have changed.

If their fortunes do improve, I hope they move to a bigger house!

What has Carla done with all of her fashionable clothes?

Spoiler

Yes! I’m so tired of seeing Carla in frumpy gear and clodhopper boots. 
she used to be dressed to kill all the time, I’m not saying she should go back to wearing the heels all day, but a bit of the old Carla glam wouldn’t go amiss. 

Hang on… did you say his downfall is starting!?

I think for once I might actually watch Corrie up to date rather playing catch up at the weekend 🤣 I just hope he kills Elaine off before he’s found out. 

On 8/1/2023 at 7:21 AM, Tallulah7606 said:

Mondays episode…

*evil giggle 

some good/bad news from uk media, 

Good-Stephens end is in sight

Bad-Not until Christmas

Cannot wait to see the back of him.

Spoiler

I've been watching 2012 episodes. Ryan was an idiot now and it seems nothing has changed with this stupid steroid stuff. 

The stories and characters were so much more interesting back then. Even with poor Tyrone getting his ass whipped by Krazy Kirsty. Where has all of the soapiness gone?

I may be the only one still watching-and it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if this was the case….. but I’ve spent the morning catching up on this weeks episodes 

Spoiler

REALLY hoping that Sarah uncovering stephens equity release fraud means her days are numbered, come on Stephen! You’ve knocked off people for far less than this. 

Dr Gaddas doing house calls for Carla? Is she working for bupa these days? You can’t even see an NHS dr at the surgery, never mind getting them to actually leave the consulting room for a house call!! 

I’m still watching but finding it tougher.  Ryan and Paul are, by far, my two least favourite characters and they’re dominating the show right now.  Boring, not enjoyable.  And now, Aggie is getting assaulted at work, but we don’t even see her.  Where is the actress?  I actually like her but I feel we rarely see her lately.  (Note, I’m on Canadian time, so a bit behind English viewing.)

• Like 3
On 9/16/2023 at 11:24 PM, Tiggertoo said:

I’m still watching but finding it tougher.  Ryan and Paul are, by far, my two least favourite characters and they’re dominating the show right now.  Boring, not enjoyable.  And now, Aggie is getting assaulted at work, but we don’t even see her.  Where is the actress?  I actually like her but I feel we rarely see her lately.  (Note, I’m on Canadian time, so a bit behind English viewing.)

I think they meant she's been assaulted in the past. Did a Google search and couldn't find anything about her absence. Weird. I'm in U.S., but the schedule is up to date here.

I feel sorry for Paul but Ryan is just awful. He's always been a bit of a loser, doing stupid AF things.

On 9/18/2023 at 2:46 PM, politichick said:

I think they meant she's been assaulted in the past. Did a Google search and couldn't find anything about her absence. Weird. I'm in U.S., but the schedule is up to date here.

I feel sorry for Paul but Ryan is just awful. He's always been a bit of a loser, doing stupid AF things.

Ryan reminds me of Doris Powell in "The Brain That Wouldn't Die" which was about a doctor whose fiance is killed in a car crash. He takes her head and keeps it alive until he can find a suitable body to transfer the head onto.  Doris is a beautiful woman who was scarred on the side of her face by a jealous lover who threw acid at her.   She makes money posing "bare for a bunch of perverts."   

Ryan, if a shady doctor tells you he can make you just as handsome as you were before, RUN!

On 9/30/2023 at 5:08 AM, Tallulah7606 said:

Only half way through this week, but…

The Rovers storyline? 

Really? 

Is this the best they can do for ‘cliffhangers’? We all know it won’t go ahead in the end.

Yeah, that is so weird.

Spoiler

I don't understand how Sarah is Michael's boss. Wasn't Nippersnapper his brainchild and he's also the head designer? It seems to me that they should be on equal footing.

Also, shouldn't the police be able to work with the bank to recover the Underworld stash that Steven stole? 

Gotta love the Platts and their sick humor. Poor Audrey is in deep, deep, deep denial.

Daisy seriously sucks.