Type keyword(s) to search

Coronation Street - General Discussion

• Start Topic

And so the Stephen storyline gets even more ridiculous and predictable… He’s now gone even beyond the standards of a panto baddie. It’s so ridiculous and embarrassing that I find myself squirming in my seat. 
And Sarah… are we really supposed to believe she’s a 30 something grown woman with that attitude and childish clapbacks? I’ve never liked this actresses portrayal of Sarah, but she gets even worse the older she gets-please, please find a way to write her and her uncle out for good. I find it very hard to believe that the producers and writers don’t watch this back and see for themselves how ridiculous it’s become. 
The standards suffered badly when covid hit and it’s just never recovered 

• Like 1
Spoiler

That was genuinely, the most pathetic excuse for a bomb I think I’ve ever seen. The only way that would have hurt anyone in the market would have been if they were leaning on the door. Alya wasn’t even out of the van when it went off, and she got away with nothing more than a forehead graze. 
Im glad the racist thugs didn’t succeed in hurting anyone, but an actual explosion a few seconds after Alya got away would have been much more worthwhile 

Spoiler

Agreed, Tallulah, that was a pretty pitiful explosion. I suppose there's only so much soaps can do though. Alya is SUCH an idiot. I thought she deserved to die when she hopped in the van to drive it off. Don't bother calling the bomb squad and evacuating the area, just drive it a mile or so away. 

I've been wondering about Max's peer group going forward too. Is Lauren supposed to be sticking around as a character? Or Daryan? They have Max too young to be in the Amy age group, but too old to be in with Jack, etc. The groups seem to breakdown as: 

Amy, Simon, Asha, Aadi, Summer, Aaron, Nina, Jacob

Max

Jack, Liam, Hope, Ruby, Sam, Lily, Eliza, Jake (maybe?)

Then the Quads (whose names aside from Aled and Clio I don't know), Bertie, Glory, Harry, whatever Gary's other son is named (Zach maybe?), Tyrone's eventual kid with Alina

So it leaves Max a bit adrift unless they introduce some friends for him in the next few years. 

14 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

Then the Quads (whose names aside from Aled and Clio I don't know),

This right here is exactly why I complained when the show decided that Chesney and Gemma were going to give their children Welsh names in the first place. The little girl's name isn't Clio, it's Llio (named after one of the Welsh medical team who delivered the quads), but neither Chesney nor Gemma nor the actors who play them can actually pronounce the name Llio, so they call her Clio instead. It bugs me every time, because it is wrong, and it does matter. People who don't speak a minority language really should not give their children names from that minority language that they can't pronounce. There are loads of other Welsh names the show could have chosen, which they've have found easier to pronounce.

The other two quads are Bryn and Carys, if I recall correctly.

• Like 2

I've been rewatching "Downton Abbey", and I just got to the episode where Mrs. Hughes meets her ex-boyfriend at the fair.  

I thought I recognized his voice and yep, it's the guy who plays Stu on "Coronation Street."

I'm not entirely caught up on episodes but Facebook spoiled this for me and 

Spoiler

WTF? Jacob's gone?? They spent all that time making him a viable and mostly likeable character and bringing on his dad and now he's done?? I saw the Corrie page post the actor's goodbye message so it seems pretty permanent? What is the show doing?

• Sad 1

Oh no, that makes me sad.  Re spoiler.

I’m watching Canadian time, so it’s just before Christmas.  So happy that the truth is out about Summer.  I hope this is the end of that oh so stupid storyline. 
I’m trying to think of what storylines I’m enjoying right now.  I like Daisy and Daniel as a couple.  I like Eileen and George.  Btw, how many people live in Eileen’s little house!  I’d like Evelyn to come back.  She’s been gone a long time.  And what about the actress in the wheelchair, forget her name, she has the kid with Gary.  I know she was off for Covid.  I wonder if she’s ever coming back.

I read that the actors who play Toyah and Imran are a real life couple, cute!

(Sorry, what a collection of random thoughts!)

• Like 1

Cherylee Houston is the wheelchair user, she plays Izzy, who made her return to the screen this week in the UK. Cherylee has a connective tissue disorder called Ehlers-Danlos syndromes, which has made it necessary to shield at home for an extended period throughout the COVID pandemic - also the reason given for Izzy shielding for so long. Houston was awarded a gong by Queen Liz during her time off screen - an MBE for services to drama and to people with disabilities. 

Edited by Llywela
  • Like 1
On 1/19/2023 at 4:14 PM, politichick said:

I seriously hate, hate, hate Steven and don't care much for the actor and his portrayal, either. 

Nick, Nick, Nick. WTAF, dude?!?

100% agree. It’s like bl**dy Geoff and his rubbish ‘reign of terror’ over Yasmeen all over again. (Not the situation, obviously-but the character, the actor and the portrayal-hated every single one of those with Geoff, and for the first time ever, I had to stop watching Corrie until I found out he was about to be killed off) 

I can see me having to switch off until Stephen is gone too. He’s unwatchable. Corrie have literally lost the plot since the pandemic started, it’s never gone back to what it was. 
Norris was a huge loss to the street, and I don’t think I’ll ever stop mourning him to be honest. Lol!

We need another tram crash, only this time, far far more fatalities. If I was the script writer for a day, I’d plot a big disaster and kill off (in no particular order)…

Leanne, Fiz, Gemma, Ken, Maria, Sarah (I’d kill her twice, just to be sure) Stephen, Summer, Aaron, Toyah and Elaine. 

I’ve probably missed a couple of people off, but it’s Friday, I’m tired. Lol! 

• LOL 3

Can anyone explain the gaping hole in the Esther and Mike backstory that’s been bugging me? 

So they explained that they’ve been struggling financially for some years, they’ve had debt collectors knocking on the door etc

Yet they had 20k in cash at their disposal which they handed over to Summer? 
People with 20k in the bank are NOT struggling financially. Especially in todays climate. 

These days, if you can afford to have your heating on for more than an hour a day and fuel your car each week, you’re considered well off 

• Like 1
On 1/20/2023 at 1:28 PM, Tallulah7606 said:

100% agree. It’s like bl**dy Geoff and his rubbish ‘reign of terror’ over Yasmeen all over again. (Not the situation, obviously-but the character, the actor and the portrayal-hated every single one of those with Geoff, and for the first time ever, I had to stop watching Corrie until I found out he was about to be killed off) 

I can see me having to switch off until Stephen is gone too. He’s unwatchable. Corrie have literally lost the plot since the pandemic started, it’s never gone back to what it was. 
Norris was a huge loss to the street, and I don’t think I’ll ever stop mourning him to be honest. Lol!

We need another tram crash, only this time, far far more fatalities. If I was the script writer for a day, I’d plot a big disaster and kill off (in no particular order)…

Leanne, Fiz, Gemma, Ken, Maria, Sarah (I’d kill her twice, just to be sure) Stephen, Summer, Aaron, Toyah and Elaine. 

I’ve probably missed a couple of people off, but it’s Friday, I’m tired. Lol! 

That's quite a hit list!

13 hours ago, politichick said:

That's quite a hit list!

I’d be willing to give Gemma a reprieve if she’d stop gurning for half a second…

Also, if summer and Aaron promise to leave and never return I’d spare them too. 

Edited by Tallulah7606
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, Desperado said:

Can anyone watching in “real time” tell this month-behinder Canadian if the Stephen story is over yet? It makes my skin crawl.

Not over, I'm afraid. Still very much in progress.

• Sad 1
On 1/14/2023 at 3:22 PM, Tiggertoo said:

I read that the actors who play Toyah and Imran are a real life couple, cute!

I didn’t know this! I follow him on Instagram and I had noticed him wearing a wedding ring in some of his pictures 🤔 (and if it’s not a wedding ring, it sure looks like it!)

14 hours ago, Capricasix said:

I didn’t know this! I follow him on Instagram and I had noticed him wearing a wedding ring in some of his pictures 🤔 (and if it’s not a wedding ring, it sure looks like it!)

It's not true. She recently split with longtime partner and he is not the guy who played Imran.

I look forward to my after-office bourbon and Coronation Street on M,W,F, but some of these stories are way off and the soap's quality has declined over the years. Could it be there are too many characters or maybe too many storylines that separate the core characters?

• Like 1
20 hours ago, politichick said:

Also, I hate, hate, hate the whole Stephen line. Please make it go away!!!!

His face when he looked at Carla at the end of Fridays episode. Ugh! I’m not a violent person, but I would have happily punched him in the face. With a rake 

• Like 2
On 2/14/2023 at 12:38 PM, Tallulah7606 said:

His face when he looked at Carla at the end of Fridays episode. Ugh! I’m not a violent person, but I would have happily punched him in the face. With a rake 

Right there with you. Hate the direction this story is moving in; it's too cruel and sinister. Read an interview with him and he said people are giving him the side eye in the shops and on the streets. This character is truly unredeemable and he's a terrible actor when it comes to villainy so I'll be glad to see the back of him. 

• Like 2

I'm curious to know why they decided to burn the character of Stephen like this. He's been an occasionally recurring, oft-mentioned member of the Platt family for such a long time, and this heel-turn into villainy doesn't seem in character at all for the Stephen we've met previously. It's been so useful for the show to have him there in the background, an off-screen relative for visits or support over the years. It seems strange to me that they would completely destroy that character now.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
On 2/17/2023 at 3:44 AM, Llywela said:

I'm curious to know why they decided to burn the character of Stephen like this. He's been an occasionally recurring, oft-mentioned member of the Platt family for such a long time, and this heel-turn into villainy doesn't seem in character at all for the Stephen we've met previously. It's been so useful for the show to have him there in the background, an off-screen relative for visits or support over the years. It seems strange to me that they would completely destroy that character now.

Hopefully, we'll be shot of him in the end, but that can't come too soon and is taking far too long. He isn't even a convincing villain and I hate that not one single person is suspicious of his over concern for Carla and the plotting behind her back.

Spoiler

I’ve just caught up on Thursdays and Fridays episode (there’s MANY things I could say about how Stephen has given me ‘the rage’, but I’m sick of talking about him and his crappy acting) 

Did they just turn ‘dull as ditch water’ Aaron into a rapist?? 
They appeared to be showing Amy comatose from drink, and Aaron continuing with undressing her without consent! 
This isn’t just completely out of character, it’s also not necessary. Not to Amy (or any girl for that matter) but Amy has already been the subject of statutory rape AND her mental health has taken a battering after having her drink spiked. Give the kid a break!! 

Out of respect for our Canadian cousins, I’ll be hiding all my posts about recent storylines. No spoilers unless you choose to see them 

• Like 2
Spoiler

So glad to see new comments finally. No one I know watches this show so there's no one to discuss it with.

Yeah, I don't get this change of character for Aaron and that closing scene with him flicking her knickers to the floor was seriously gross. And I hate all of these heavy burdens they're placing on all of the young women. Daisy and the crazed Justin, Summer and all the crap she went through, Amy and this rape stuff. It's quite disturbing. And is the actor who plays Aaron leaving? There's no coming back from that.

And whatever happened to Damon? These writers are all over the bloody place!

Is Elaine so desperate and delusional that she a) couldn't see Stephen was experiencing something way more troubling than a panic attack and b) doesn't realize he doesn't feel anything at all romantic for her? He never shows any affection. 

And no one notices how overly concerned and chatty Stephen is about Carla's mental health and that she only has these episodes when he's been around and is fine for days after when he hasn't?

(edited)
2 hours ago, Badger said:
  Hide contents

Looks like I was right that this consent storyline is going to be nothing but propaganda and nonsense.  

Spoiler

Propaganda? It is raising awareness of an important issue that affects a lot of young people. It might be a little clunky, but that isn't propaganda. It isn't a political statement to say 'there is a lot of misunderstanding around the issue of consent, and that can lead to great pain and heartache.' That is just a statement of fact, demonstrated by putting familiar characters into such a situation.

Edited by Llywela
Spoiler

It's propaganda because these situations are often complicated and messy but it's never shown that way.  And the guy always turns out to be guilty.

On 3/5/2023 at 9:38 AM, Tallulah7606 said:
  Hide contents

I’ve just caught up on Thursdays and Fridays episode (there’s MANY things I could say about how Stephen has given me ‘the rage’, but I’m sick of talking about him and his crappy acting) 

Did they just turn ‘dull as ditch water’ Aaron into a rapist?? 
They appeared to be showing Amy comatose from drink, and Aaron continuing with undressing her without consent! 
This isn’t just completely out of character, it’s also not necessary. Not to Amy (or any girl for that matter) but Amy has already been the subject of statutory rape AND her mental health has taken a battering after having her drink spiked. Give the kid a break!! 

Out of respect for our Canadian cousins, I’ll be hiding all my posts about recent storylines. No spoilers unless you choose to see them 

8 hours ago, Llywela said:
  Hide contents

Propaganda? It is raising awareness of an important issue that affects a lot of young people. It might be a little clunky, but that isn't propaganda. It isn't a political statement to say 'there is a lot of misunderstanding around the issue of consent, and that can lead to great pain and heartache.' That is just a statement of fact, demonstrated by putting familiar characters into such a situation.

Spoiler

FTR, I do think what Aaron did constitutes rape.   

7 hours ago, Badger said:

Spoiler

I agree and he is so daft that he thinks that because they snagged a bit and were both quite drunk that it was okay even though she was passed out, and he's going to keep telling himself that. What an absolute fool.

It will be interesting who takes whose side. Just hope it's not dragged out for forever.

• Applause 1
(edited)

Canadian cousin checking in.  Very kind of you!  I’m so tempted but have not looked at any spoilers.

At Canadian speed, Nick has just turned Damon into the police and Sam told him to move out.  I love Sam, but I thought that was pretty cheeky.

Edited by Tiggertoo
  • Like 3
17 hours ago, Tiggertoo said:

Canadian cousin checking in.  Very kind of you!  I’m so tempted but have not looked at any spoilers.

At Canadian speed, Nick has just turned Damon into the police and Sam told him to move out.  I love Sam, but I thought that was pretty cheeky.

You’re welcome! I hate unwarranted spoilers-I get them from the supermarket 😂 walking past the checkouts there’s an array of tv guide magazines with a fortnights worth of spoilers on the cover.

R.E Sam, YES! I thought the same, stellar parenting from Nick and Leanne just ‘going along’ with Sam’s demand. I mean, Nick was an idiot in the first place for taking the money-but he should have owned his mistake, not just sheepishly have left his own home. 

• Like 3
Spoiler

I'm hoping that now that Carla has gone away that people will start using their thinking caps and wonder why fucking Stephen is so overly concerned and constantly talking about the state of her mental health. She takes time off and is fine and doesn't experience any psychosis until she's around him and nobody wonders why?

Also, this plan to make Hope and Sam a thing is really annoying. Who the hell is interested in that? Certainly not me!

This show...!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Tallulah7606 said:
  Hide contents

Day off so just caught up on Wednesdays episode. 
Haven’t cried this much at Corrie since Jack joined his “little swamp duck”

No need to show the actual euthanasia, I’m honestly broken 💔

Spoiler

I don't know if I can watch, it takes me months to get over having a dog euthanized. Maureen/ Evelyn  is a terrific  actress. 

2 hours ago, dancingdreamer said:
  Hide contents

I don't know if I can watch, it takes me months to get over having a dog euthanized. Maureen/ Evelyn  is a terrific  actress. 

Spoiler

Oh she was amazing! It was Maureen that made it such a hard watch, I had to look away for a lot of it. You never really get over it in real life do you, so the memories pour out when you watch it being acted out 

• Love 1

Canadian here, thanking you very much for hiding spoilers.

I had to take a break from watching because I don’t need to add more bleakness to my life right now. After checking in here, I see I’ll need to wait a few more months to see if things lighten up. Sigh…

• Like 1
Spoiler

Oh the acid attack!! As horrific as it is, it shows that the old Corrie magic is still hidden in there somewhere. I absolutely despised Daisy when they brought her in, I thought both the character and actress were horrible. 
But after Mondays episode I may have just fallen a little bit in love with both the actress and character. 

The comedic scenes while she was getting ready were classic Corrie banter, then the segue into the horror that unfolded when Daisy and Ryan were leaving was nothing more than shocking. 
I don’t know how I managed to avoid that spoiler but I’m glad I did! Watching it without any prior knowledge was a real sucker punch to the gut and it made exactly the right impact. 

Finally! Well done Corrie

• Like 1
4 hours ago, politichick said:

Figured out what it is I find so distasteful about Aaron. He's always got his mouth open as if he cannot breathe through his nose. Looks like a drooler!

And he looks like a doofus doing it.

• Like 1