Type keyword(s) to search

Coronation Street - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 4/23/2022 at 9:22 PM, Cozytea said:

I'm going go back to YouTube to check out ATWT. That was my summer break tv indulgence as a kid lol.

I don't know how far back the ATWT episodes go.   I started at 1987 and have been watching almost nonstop since the beginning of COVID.  It was my favorite soap and it was like being with family again while we were in lockdown.    

I kinda like the family fallout with Amy/Tracy/Steve turning on Daniel because he kept Max's secret about spiking Amy. 

And I do like that David, after being a tearaway in his youth, is getting some karmic kicks from Max's behavior.  We need more of Gail being all, "Now you see what I had to put up with!" lol.

On 4/30/2022 at 9:13 AM, TeeVee329 said:

I kinda like the family fallout with Amy/Tracy/Steve turning on Daniel because he kept Max's secret about spiking Amy. 

And I do like that David, after being a tearaway in his youth, is getting some karmic kicks from Max's behavior.  We need more of Gail being all, "Now you see what I had to put up with!" lol.

Too true. I've been watching the old episodes and both David and Tracy were so bloody awful I at some points hate them and wish for evil things to happen to them. 

AAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Times a million!!

Toyah smugly walking round with Abbie’s baby like she’s some angelic version of a child snatcher is really starting to grate on me. 

In other news, I almost cheered when Peter punched Dr Thorne. If he hadn’t then I think I’d have broken my tv by trying to thump him myself 😂

Where is everyone? I'm still down the rabbit hole of decades past. Love, love, loved Hilda Ogden and how much the young ones adored her! Plus, I can't stand the antics Kelly's up to and it seems Ryan is as stupid as fuck all as he was when this version first came to Coronation Street.

Seriously don't get what Mike Baldwin saw in Susan Barlow. Every time I saw her face I was struck by how Simian it is. Still, he could have given her a couple of more years before she got pregnant.

And Ken! He is so, so, so smug I want to smack his face sometimes

I took a bit of a break from the show, around the time that Emma/Faye/Craig had the hit and run storyline and it was revealed that Abi was pregnant with Imran's baby. I started catching up on the last few episodes and am enjoying the show again for the most part. 

I'm still hoping that Alfie will end up being Kevin's. Did they do a DNA test ever? Giving Imran a baby right before he was killed off the show just seems dumb. They should have had Abi pregnant by someone who was sticking around for future storyline if they didn't want her to have a baby with Kevin. 

Whatever happened to the little girl Toyah and Imran were fostering? 

I like Summer and the new boyfriend. They're each a big mess, but they're kind of cute together anyway.

My current vote is to let Faye and Michael have a fling and see where that goes with the characters, and pair Craig up with his partner. Craig and Faye feel like they're together out of habit more than anything else and I've never seen much romantic chemistry between them anyone. 

This show seems surprisingly reluctant to break up pairings and test out new ones. I liked Fiz and Phill together and wish it would have lasted longer. I don't really see why they'd have her go back to Ty. 

Is it too much to hope that now that Ronnie has dumped Debbie, he and Jenny can get together? I don't like her and Leo together, but she and Ronnie had a lot of potential. 

Does this show ever write in the actress' pregnancies? I thought I saw something about Shona's actress being pregnant again and probably disappearing for a while, but sometimes I wish they'd just write the pregnancy in so as not to have to hide it until they go on maternity leave. 

On 8/21/2022 at 11:40 AM, Jenniferbug said:

I took a bit of a break from the show, around the time that Emma/Faye/Craig had the hit and run storyline and it was revealed that Abi was pregnant with Imran's baby. I started catching up on the last few episodes and am enjoying the show again for the most part. 

I'm still hoping that Alfie will end up being Kevin's. Did they do a DNA test ever? Giving Imran a baby right before he was killed off the show just seems dumb. They should have had Abi pregnant by someone who was sticking around for future storyline if they didn't want her to have a baby with Kevin. 

Whatever happened to the little girl Toyah and Imran were fostering? 

I like Summer and the new boyfriend. They're each a big mess, but they're kind of cute together anyway.

My current vote is to let Faye and Michael have a fling and see where that goes with the characters, and pair Craig up with his partner. Craig and Faye feel like they're together out of habit more than anything else and I've never seen much romantic chemistry between them anyone. 

This show seems surprisingly reluctant to break up pairings and test out new ones. I liked Fiz and Phill together and wish it would have lasted longer. I don't really see why they'd have her go back to Ty. 

Is it too much to hope that now that Ronnie has dumped Debbie, he and Jenny can get together? I don't like her and Leo together, but she and Ronnie had a lot of potential. 

Does this show ever write in the actress' pregnancies? I thought I saw something about Shona's actress being pregnant again and probably disappearing for a while, but sometimes I wish they'd just write the pregnancy in so as not to have to hide it until they go on maternity leave. 

I took a break, too; was down the decades past rabbit hole. Still am, but watched the last 6 or so episodes. 

Summer and her boyfriend are cute together but I'm sick of this not taking my insulin business. She's supposed to be smart but keeps putting her health and life in danger. I know teens go through that but enough already. She's setting a bad example for the teens who watch.

Loved the luncheon during which Audrey came clean with her friends about her depression; was pleased to see Roy part of the gang. Really, really dislike Steven and can't wait until he is found out.

On an extremely superficial note, I just had the first of two cataract surgeries and many of the ladies' complexions are looking right rough. Even Leeanne, which surprised me. I know Audrey and Rita are older but it's like they gave their skin no care at all. Evelyn is older, too, but hers is in better shape.

7 minutes ago, politichick said:

I took a break, too; was down the decades past rabbit hole. Still am, but watched the last 6 or so episodes. 

Summer and her boyfriend are cute together but I'm sick of this not taking my insulin business. She's supposed to be smart but keeps putting her health and life in danger. I know teens go through that but enough already. She's setting a bad example for the teens who watch.

Loved the luncheon during which Audrey came clean with her friends about her depression; was pleased to see Roy part of the gang. Really, really dislike Steven and can't wait until he is found out.

On an extremely superficial note, I just had the first of two cataract surgeries and many of the ladies' complexions are looking right rough. Even Leeanne, which surprised me. I know Audrey and Rita are older but it's like they gave their skin no care at all. Evelyn is older, too, but hers is in better shape.

Almost forgot: The actress who plays Yasmeen is awful! There's something about her delivery when expressing anger/frustration that is all wrong to me.

@politichick what decades past are you watching? I started watching old episodes again too and am up to May 1979. Audrey made her first appearance recently which was fun. No mention of Steven at all in the backstory given for her and Gail at that time. 

I'm not a fan of Yasmeen either. I think she's ok when they give her the rare happy story but her acting is atrocious when she is supposed to show strong emotions. They really need to tone down her over the top anger. At this point, I don't even know why Stu would want to be with her. 

On 8/25/2022 at 1:59 PM, Jenniferbug said:

@politichick what decades past are you watching? I started watching old episodes again too and am up to May 1979. Audrey made her first appearance recently which was fun. No mention of Steven at all in the backstory given for her and Gail at that time. 

I'm not a fan of Yasmeen either. I think she's ok when they give her the rare happy story but her acting is atrocious when she is supposed to show strong emotions. They really need to tone down her over the top anger. At this point, I don't even know why Stu would want to be with her. 

I am on February 1979. And did I say how much I adore Hilda Ogden? She fills my heart, especially when she has a win. 

I will look forward to Audrey in May. She's one of my favorites. 

I also have watched a good portion of the 80s. Some of the racial and homophobic references they said in the past would never fly these days, like play/be the white man, jungle drums, etc. Hilda in blackface. I cringe.

Where is everyone?

Audrey's Steven sure has turned into a slime ball. Can't stand his accent, either.

Glad to soon see the back of Kelly--her decision making is too reckless for my taste. I know that's a part of soap making, but something about her...

I've never been a fan of the actress playing Kelly.   I know A LOT of people thinks she's a great actress.   I just don't.   Don't like her the way she delivers her lines, the breathing she does, starts nearly every sentence with "Ermm"   Would like to see her in a different role to see if she uses the same "acting ticks."

I'm a few episodes behind still. 

I find it hard to get caught up when the major storyline features an actor who I know is leaving soon. I couldn't care about the Abi/Imran/Toyah stuff because I knew he was leaving, and now it's hard to care about Kelly/Aadi/Gary when she's gone soon too. Seems like they ramp up these major stories and then one of the central actors bails on the show. I don't blame the actor for that, but as a viewer it makes it hard to invest in what's currently on screen. 

• Like 1

I was unspoiled for Imran’s departure, so that did shock me.

I didn’t know that Kelly was leaving.  In Canada time, she and Adi have just slept together and they’ve started their fake engagement.  That’s too bad that she’s leaving, I enjoy her character.  The writing is a bit all over the place but that’s not her fault.

Cannot stand Steven.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Tiggertoo said:

I didn’t know that Kelly was leaving.  In Canada time, she and Adi have just slept together and they’ve started their fake engagement.  That’s too bad that she’s leaving, I enjoy her character.  The writing is a bit all over the place but that’s not her fault.

Cannot stand Steven.

Sorry Tiggertoo!! Her leaving was referenced in a post above mine so I assumed it wasn't considered a spoiler. 

On 9/22/2022 at 8:56 AM, Tiggertoo said:

Cannot stand Steven.

I can't stand Steven, also. Is that accent authentic? Can't wait till he's caught!!!

Agree with poster above on Kelly's acting tics. Never mind her truly shitty decisions!

And are Ahdi and Asha no longer twins?

I'm caught up now. Not sad to see Leo go, but I really don't get what they're doing with Stephen. Are we supposed to feel bad for him? All the angst and moaning...am I supposed to care? He's been repugnant since he showed up, and this story has dragged on too long. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Tallulah7606 said:

Man in financial dire straits, starts to con those close to him out of their life savings/property etc, eventually kills his first victim…

sound familiar?

im getting Hillman vibes 

That's what they want us to get and apparently Steven will be around for a long, long while, much to my great dismay. There is absolutely nothing appealing about him, from looks to personality.

I missed some of this year's earlier episodes, but what has happened to Carla's glam? 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, politichick said:

That's what they want us to get and apparently Steven will be around for a long, long while, much to my great dismay. There is absolutely nothing appealing about him, from looks to personality.

I missed some of this year's earlier episodes, but what has happened to Carla's glam? 

Noooooooo!!! 
I’d had enough of him after his first day back on the cobbles. I quite liked him on previous appearances, but it’s like he’s undergone a total personality transplant in the years since. 

And as far as serial killers go, he ranks somewhere way, way, way below John Stape.

Carlas glam seemed to disappear around the same time she gained Aidan’s kidney-after that she started dressing in uggs, flat boots and leggings. No more killer heels and designer wardrobe 

I mean, I guess she's acting a bit like a spoiled brat, but I'm kinda on Tracy's side.  Ken, she's not saying you need to spend the rest of your life alone pining for Dierdre (she got onboard with Claudia eventually, didn't she?), but do you really have to pick the woman who you had an affair with during her formative years?

So Billy, Todd, and Paul are all single and spend their days clucking about stupid Summer?  Cooooooooooool.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

I mean, I guess she's acting a bit like a spoiled brat, but I'm kinda on Tracy's side.  Ken, she's not saying you need to spend the rest of your life alone pining for Dierdre (she got onboard with Claudia eventually, didn't she?), but do you really have to pick the woman who you had an affair with during her formative years?

So Billy, Todd, and Paul are all single and spend their days clucking about stupid Summer?  Cooooooooooool.

I understand why Tracy's upset, but the heart wants what the heart wants and Lord knows Tracy will walk over anyone who dares get in her way, so why should Ken give up Wendy? Yeah, she's not the ideal choice, but it's not like Deidre never cheated. Tracy is too old to be so childish and what she did at the book reading was ridiculous.

I can't believe that Summer is pregnant. Why have the writers turned her into such a failure?

Also wondering where everyone sleeps in Chesney's house. Love how all of these two-up, two downs miraculously expand to accommodate hoards of people.

Is Alya going to have to move so Eliza can move in permanently? Stu, by the by, is a seriously ungrateful bastard. I know he's sad that his killer spawn must now pay the price for her crime, but Yasmeen et al spent tons of money to help him AND could have lost their business because of people not wanting food cooked by an alleged killer. Has he once said thank you? 

• Like 1

Caught up to Friday's episode at least. 

One thing I will always enjoy about this show is how (unlike American soaps) there's a better sense of community and relationships. Chesney and Todd talking about Bernie, Dev talking to Paul and Gemma about Bernie...that's the sort of thing that makes the world feel real. 

I like Bernie and Dev as an unlikely couple and thought the moment in the pub where he said he believes her was sweet. 

The quads are cute! I don't think we've seen all 4 of them in a very long time. Not that I fault the show- getting 4 toddlers to cooperate at the same time is not easy, but it was nice to see them. 

I'm not sure why they would give Summer a pregnancy over someone like Shona (since she's pregnant in real life). Not that all real life pregnancies should be written in but it would make more sense for her and David to have a baby than for Summer to have one since she already has several plots going. And saying Shona is home with the baby, napping, etc would be much preferable for covering her maternity leave than whatever nonsensical story they'll come up with. 

My prediction is that Summer will have the baby and keep it, but we'll get all kinds of drama in the meantime about her diabetes and whether the baby will be ok, etc. Yay...

• Like 1

I desperately need Stephen to get caught and really, really hope these writers are not going to allow Audrey to be swindled.  It's too awful.

Agree that these efforts to hide Shona's bump are really stupid.

The quads were quite cute, but where does everyone sleep?!? LOL

\

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Things seem to be picking up a bit. The Max storyline is interesting, as is the Stape one. Hope really is a bad seed. Would like to see more of Ruby. Can't stand the Summer storyline. What a disappointment she's turning out to be.

But the Bernie bit is stupid. She was working at Roy's Cafe when Fern arrived at the jewelry shop. Did no one compare times? Crazy!

On 11/4/2022 at 4:25 PM, Tiggertoo said:

Watching Canadian time, Aaron has just dumped Summer because his dad set the house on fire. Can I just say he is the saddest sack I’ve ever seen. I can’t stand him. He’s such a lump. 

He really is.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, politichick said:

Where is everyone!?!

To be honest, I’m struggling to have anything worthwhile to say about Corrie. 
This whole ridiculous stape storyline was stale before it even started. As far as serial killers go, he was bumbling and pathetic. And as I recall, he only killed two people, and one of them was completely by accident, so having his spawn turn out inherently evil is ludicrous.

If they want to revive a serial killer storyline then someone like Hillman or aphelion would be much better.

Then there’s Stephen… don’t get me started 

The only shining light at the moment is little Sam and the effect he’s having on Harvey-of course the downside to this is it gives Leanne more screen time, which I could happily do without. 
Im also enjoying the racism group storyline, I can’t imagine how they’re going to get their comeuppance, but I’m looking forward to the day they do. Hopefully it’s not something as mundane as spider revealing his true occupation and simply arresting them 

• Like 1
On 11/30/2022 at 3:47 PM, Tallulah7606 said:

To be honest, I’m struggling to have anything worthwhile to say about Corrie. 
This whole ridiculous stape storyline was stale before it even started. As far as serial killers go, he was bumbling and pathetic. And as I recall, he only killed two people, and one of them was completely by accident, so having his spawn turn out inherently evil is ludicrous.

If they want to revive a serial killer storyline then someone like Hillman or aphelion would be much better.

Then there’s Stephen… don’t get me started 

The only shining light at the moment is little Sam and the effect he’s having on Harvey-of course the downside to this is it gives Leanne more screen time, which I could happily do without. 
Im also enjoying the racism group storyline, I can’t imagine how they’re going to get their comeuppance, but I’m looking forward to the day they do. Hopefully it’s not something as mundane as spider revealing his true occupation and simply arresting them 

OMG, Stephen. I hate that storyline and the actor is awful. Is he British trying to speak with a Canadian accent? Whatever he's doing, it doesn't sound natural. I cannot wait until poor Audrey learns what he's done, poor thing!

Sam was masterful with Harvey!

I also hope they find an interesting/creative way to end the racism storyline.

You are so right about the Stape storyline. It doesn't make sense. Having said that, though, Hope is seriously damaged. And stupid Fizz and even stupider Tyrone reward her bad behavior. And buying all those books? What an incredible waste of money they can't afford.

I just read that Asha is going to become a paramedic. What happened to uni? Same with Summer. She was such a good, smart girl with options but is now working in the bloody factory making imbecillic choices.

The guy who played Steve's father recently said that Corrie won't last another 10 years if it keeps going on this way, or something to that effect.

32 minutes ago, politichick said:

I just read that Asha is going to become a paramedic. What happened to uni? Same with Summer. She was such a good, smart girl with options but is now working in the bloody factory making imbecillic choices.

What's wrong with being a paramedic? It is a highly skilled profession, and most are university-educated. It's hardly a step down for Asha - in fact, a step up from most of the unambitious people on the Street.

• Like 1
On 12/7/2022 at 3:07 PM, politichick said:

OMG, Stephen. I hate that storyline and the actor is awful. Is he British trying to speak with a Canadian accent? Whatever he's doing, it doesn't sound natural. I cannot wait until poor Audrey learns what he's done, poor thing!

I actually remember looking this up years ago, believe it or not he’s a bona fide Canadian. I think it’s because he’s a lone Canadian around a bunch of northerners-Canadian and American accents always sound OTT when they’re surrounded by British accents, I think the reverse is true when you get a Brit in an American/Canadian programme too. 

I hope asha does become a paramedic-the paralegal thing is a bit weird, and we’re no longer in a time where nepotism is just accepted and you can hand out jobs to totally untrained friends. 

Summer needs to go in my opinion. Her and her drippy boyfriend-this whole ‘buy my baby’ plot was so creepily stupid that I’m actually glad she miscarried, that weird couple are clearly a bit sinister behind those big smiles. To be honest, I haven’t liked summer since they swapped the actresses. 

• Like 1

I never meant to imply there's something wrong with being a paramedic; it just took me by surprise after all the uni talk and trying to get in anguish.

Agree Summer needs to go. She and the boyfriend are totally useless. Love how Amy is giving her a hard time but couldn't believe she didn't know the meaning of sanctimonious,

I kind of like Daisy, but boy, was she a pill tonight. She is sometimes so insecure, which is a shame because she can be very witty and I don't think she's dumb.

Good to see Abby.

Wendy for the surprise!

37 minutes ago, politichick said:

I also can't believe the actress who portrayed Kelly Neelan has been cast on Dr. Who. She was not a very good actress in my opinion. Oh well!

Yeah, I was surprised when I saw that news too. I think she's an OK actress. But nothing that made me think she'd get cast on something as high profile as Doctor Who.

• Love 1

Hello everyone here watching CS!

I’ve been a fan of US soaps for decades but with more time on my hands I started watching the 2010 season of CS on Prime Canada but when I couldn’t find any more eps, I pouted for a year or 2 before watching the newer eps. I’m now up to the December Canadian eps which I think are 1 week behind from the UK’s?

It was fun to see the same actors as in 2010 evolving a bit, but apparently just a bit. 😂

I don’t really have favourites, just a soft spot for Audrey. I cannot stand Tyrone, Canadian or not Stephen (aargh!!!), or Stu, the Spider plot, or the “I’m a pregnant teenager plot”, which I see here has now resolved itself.

There are actors I’d like to see more of though, like the lawyer who seems to help everyone, and the soccer player’s sister who is also a lawyer. Sorry about the lack of names.

• Like 1

Welcome Desperado! I started out watching on Hulu but eventually got a BritBox subscription so I could get episodes the same day. I'm impatient! It also introduced to me to Emmerdale and Eastenders as well...I watch more British soaps than American! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jenniferbug said:

Welcome Desperado! I started out watching on Hulu but eventually got a BritBox subscription so I could get episodes the same day. I'm impatient! It also introduced to me to Emmerdale and Eastenders as well...I watch more British soaps than American! 

Thanks @Jenniferbug. Interesting about BritBox, I rotate streaming apps and use it to watch mystery series.

31 minutes ago, Jenniferbug said:

I watched Eastenders for decades when I live in WDC. I'm quite behind now as I trailed off during the pandemic. In the past 18 months, I have watched A LOT of Corrie--current epis (Britbox) and decades-worth of old episodes on YouTube. 

I seriously have started fast-forwarding through Summer and Aaron's scenes. Read online that Billy will have a big storyline in the coming months, which I'm not looking forward to at all. Do not like the way the actor speaks; there's something not normal about it. HATE Stephen and want a lot more of Audrey. I love her.

On 12/19/2022 at 1:36 PM, Jenniferbug said:

Same here.  I find the British soaps more enjoyable, for the most part.   I think many of the current storylines on Corrie right now are not so good.  But all soaps go through rough periods now and then.   But overall, I find the British soaps more realistic.  People aren't dressed to the nines all the time, live in mansions.   And they have relatable jobs.

• Like 4
36 minutes ago, sas616 said:

Same here.  I find the British soaps more enjoyable, for the most part.   I think many of the current storylines on Corrie right now are not so good.  But all soaps go through rough periods now and then.   But overall, I find the British soaps more realistic.  People aren't dressed to the nines all the time, live in mansions.   And they have relatable jobs.

Exactly! It's more down to earth. Also fewer characters returning from the dead or having an evil twin, etc. I'm not loving the Corrie storylines at the moment either, but I prefer it to something like General Hospital for sure. 

• Like 1

I like Spider, which now has me worried he probably won't make it out of this Griff/Max storyline alive. He and Toyah are better suited than she was with Imran and it'd be nice to have a more competent police presence around, maybe he could even mentor Craig. And anytime they need to give him vacation, just say he's off on a new undercover mission. 

I'm getting tired of the storyline and am not interested in Max at all. 

Spoilers for those watching a couple weeks behind:

Spoiler

I'm glad Daisy doesn't have cancer. I didn't want to watch another cancer storyline play out.

Also Jacob is stupid for throwing away his decent job with Carla because his idiot dad who he barely knows says so. 

• Like 1