Type keyword(s) to search

Coronation Street - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 4/23/2019 at 12:01 AM, Coffeewinewater said:

I really like Jan for Eileen. 

Same! He seems so sweet-and utterly besotted with Eileen. Maybe a bit of a father figure for Seb too? 

Anyone else absolutely hating Chesney and Gemma together or is it just me? Gemma was actually quite comical at times before, when she was just a background character, but now shes on screen ALL the time, and to be honest I find her constant gurning and ridiculous behaviour so irritating I have to fast forward her scenes.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Tallulah7606 said:

Same! He seems so sweet-and utterly besotted with Eileen. Maybe a bit of a father figure for Seb too? 

Anyone else absolutely hating Chesney and Gemma together or is it just me? Gemma was actually quite comical at times before, when she was just a background character, but now shes on screen ALL the time, and to be honest I find her constant gurning and ridiculous behaviour so irritating I have to fast forward her scenes.

Omg, I just wrote something similar a few days ago on a Facebook group. I couldn't stand Gemma at first, back when kylie was around. Then she grew on me. She was funny and had a caring side. Now,  good lord,the writers destroyed her. She's awful.  I ff through most her scenes too. Just so over the top reckless disgusting behavior.  I get that the writers need keep things interesting but Gemma isn't interesting she's gross, licking a plate clean ugh. It annoys me because I really liked her. Much like Tim who I still really like. The character changed for the better.  Abi too.  They regressed Gemma, no she's not mean Gemma, but she's  gross. 

Peter is also annoying me. 

11 minutes ago, sas616 said:

Don't know if it's true, but I read that Jan isn't exactly what he seems.  

I was just thinking this! I’m a little behind with Corrie, and I’ve just watched the episode where Seb takes the girl from the nail bar to speed Dahl and she scarpers after seeing Jan, made me think her ‘landlady’ is a brothel Madam and Jan is either a paying customer or he helps to run it! Like some sort of human trafficking racket

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Coffeewinewater said:

Much like Tim who I still really like. The character changed for the better.  Abi too. 

I LOVE Abi now, she and Tim are two of my favourites. And she’s got a cracking pair of legs 😂

• Love 1
(edited)
On 4/30/2019 at 12:48 PM, Tallulah7606 said:

Good news!!! I just read that the Kate Connor actress is leaving!! 😂 which means no more ridiculous overacting! 

So many leaving. 

Just read that Sinead and Alex are also leaving.

So Michelle, Robert, Alex kate and Sinead Bethany. I also thought I read Dev but I'm not positive if he was leaving for good or just taking a break.

Edited by Coffeewinewater
18 hours ago, Coffeewinewater said:

I love coronation street but lord it has been so boring lately.  I dont care about Carla and Peter.  I cant think of any other story that's even a bit interesting.  Steve and Tracy at least give me a laugh.

I’m with you there! I 100% blame McLeod, ever since he took over the storylines have been getting more and more ridiculous. Not to mention there’s a mass exodus of actors coming up. (Some are welcome, like Kate)but the likes of Bethany leaving?? There’s so much more that could be done with her but they’re just wasting her with this juvenile ‘on again, off again’ story with Ryan. 

In all my years I’ve never missed an episode of Corrie, now I have it on but I’m not really paying attention. It’s background noise while I’m doing housework, or reading. I can’t face watching the entire programme 

• Love 1

I will note one thing - the shows obsession with making Everything About Carla is maintained no matter who the show runner is. This is just another rehash of the time she thought she was responsible for that stupid fire that killed Leanne’s fella. It doesn’t make me root for her justice. It just irritates me that every single producer ever to step foot on this show apparently thinks she’s the one character who should get every storyline going and then they Mary Sue the crap out of her throughout.   

• Love 1

I’m so BORED of this whole Carla storyline now. The way they’ve made her lose her marbles is so out of proportion with the whole event. With the one exception of ‘post Frank’ Carla, when she went off the rails a little bit, it’s so out of character with who she’s supposed to be. The Carla before McLeod came aboard would have turned to the red wine and fought tooth and nail to find out who is responsible. 

Now we discover it’s Gary, and quite frankly, I’m relieved. Gary used to be a favourite character of mine, but in the last couple of years he’s become so pathetic and down and out, going from one (boring) dodgy escapade to the next. 

I’ve been a fan of Corrie since I was old enough to walk,  but it’s become more farcical than eastenders, and I gave up watching that 15 years ago!

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, Tallulah7606 said:

. The Carla before McLeod came aboard would have turned to the red wine and fought tooth and nail to find out who is responsible. 

Respectfully disagree. When she thought got the blame for the Victoria Street apartment that killed Alyas dad and Leanne’s fella Kal she also feel into a similar self pitying spiral. The storyline is almost the exact same only a) they’ve put a mental health spin on it and b) at least there’s an actual culprit who tampered with the roof when last time although it was Tracy who left the candle lighting the whole idea that she was solely to blame the fire getting so out of control and killing people was hilarious. Fair enough it’s deathly irresponsible but nobody questioned the lack of fire alarms and slow response of the firefighters. 

God that storyline was ridiculous and much like all Carla storylines draining and eye rolling to watch.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

When she thought got the blame for the Victoria Street apartment that killed Alyas dad and Leanne’s fella Kal she also feel into a similar self pitying spiral. 

I stand corrected, I’d wiped that whole ridiculous debacle from my memory, but yes, I remember how she spiralled. Not quite as extreme as this time, but they did make her go loopy. At least in the Victoria flats fire  she was actually there, so narrowly losing her own life added to the trauma of what happened to Kal. 

Nevertheless, the storyline is still mind-numbingly boring. And the whole ‘let’s make Robert and Nick behave über suspiciously with a slightly evil edge to make them look suspicious’ is nothing short of pantomime writing. 

Now, if it had been Kate that died in the roof collapse, then took Leanne, Pointless Maria, Geoff, Brian, Gurning Gemma and her brother with her, I wouldn’t mind so much 😂

• Love 2

At least there’s Kate’s exit to look forward to. The rest of the characters you’ve listed above were stuck with for the foreseeable. 

I’d be happiest if they got rid of Carla. She sucks up so much screen time and Apparently producers think she’s the only actress on the show as every storyline goes to her. I laughed when it was announced there was going to be a Carla centric episode.. isn’t every episode at this point more or less one. 

• Love 1

I do agree about Carla, but it pains me to, because once upon a time I absolutely loved her. I was so excited when it was announced they were bringing her back. But apart from the initial first few months, when she was her usual, sassy, loaded self, they’ve utterly destroyed her and shoved her in our faces so much, that I actually can’t wait for her to get written out again. 

And Peter! I’ve always loved Peter, but Carla’s decline is ruining him too. He needs a good shave and to get the hell away from that happiness vacuum

• Love 1

Can someone please tell me where the writers brains were when they had Gary go round to Vicky’s house and ask for £200 in order to get her passport back!?

a new passport costs a maximum of £85, all she has to do is report it stolen! Dear god, are they employing children as writers!? 🤦🏻‍♀️

I'm watching some episodes n YouTube from 1999. The show was much better.

Sally looks exactly the same ,wow.

I'm so surprised Gail and Roy were so close. He thought of asking her to be his best man lol. To see them now, they barely interact.

Nick omg, the actor was so bad. Leann and he were not a good match. 

On 6/9/2019 at 8:55 PM, Coffeewinewater said:

Nick omg, the actor was so bad. Leann and he were not a good match. 

Adam Rickitt 😂😂 he was shockingly bad! 😂😂 He and Leanne still aren’t a good match, she’s not a good match with anyone, she needs to get run over by a tram and leave for good. 

On a side note, I HATE that chipmunk voiced older son of the new family. What on gods earth were the casting people thinking of choosing him!?!?  

7 hours ago, Sarah Heart said:

I was so happy to see Kate leave, she's a dreadful actress.

Michelle is leaving, because the grass is always greener, and she fashions herself, to be the next Katherine Kelley.( without the acting chops)  She has left the door open to return.

Sinead has been with Corrie since 2013, and feels it's time to move on, I'm of the thought, she just be one of the actors they decided to cull. Robert was voted, most boring in the UK. I agree, he is!

I'm not enjoying the scenes with Sinead and Daniel, it's heartbreaking, and the actor who plays Daniel, is able to pull the best out of Sinead.

Never thought Sinead was a very good actor until this cancer storyline.   She's been really, really good.   It really is heartbreaking.   The scene at home with Daniel after they learn she's terminal was something I'll never forget.   The acting was so realistic, but really have to give credit to the writing staff for such a powerful scene.

I agree on both counts too, Sinead was wooden and one dimensional before the terminal storyline, but her heartbreak has felt almost real, to the point where I’m finding it really hard to watch. 

Then on the other side of the coin we’ve got ridiculous, gurning Gemma and her truly dreadful mother. There’s no sign of either of these awful characters being written out yet so I’ve had to resort to only watching Corrie once Its recorded, just so I can fast forward all their scenes

8 hours ago, Tallulah7606 said:

I agree on both counts too, Sinead was wooden and one dimensional before the terminal storyline, but her heartbreak has felt almost real, to the point where I’m finding it really hard to watch. 

Then on the other side of the coin we’ve got ridiculous, gurning Gemma and her truly dreadful mother. There’s no sign of either of these awful characters being written out yet so I’ve had to resort to only watching Corrie once Its recorded, just so I can fast forward all their scenes

For a while, Gemma was toned down and was tolerable.   But ever since this stupid quads storyline started, she's back to being over the top.   Cannot imagine her with 4 babies--not something I want to see.   Though, I thought she was good in Friday's scene with Paul.  They should keep her that way.

• Love 1

Slightly off-topic: I've been watching a lot of 2003, 2004 Corrie and I have a question.  Was Karen McDonald a character that people liked?  Because while I know I should feel at least a little bad for her given the way Tracy keeps messing with her and her life...she's horrible lol!  I don't know why Steve clings on to her so hard given how she berates him and often physically attacks him.

• Love 1
On 10/11/2019 at 3:47 AM, TeeVee329 said:

Was Karen McDonald a character that people liked? 

Difficult one to answer, I’ve recently rewatched early 00’s Corrie too, and I have to say that I loved Karen at the time. I was genuinely gutted when she left, I thought she and Steve together were hilarious. But watching it again nearly 2 decades later, I see her very differently. She was mostly vile if I’m honest, I still like the character and I adore Suranne Jones, but my opinion has changed hugely over time 

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, Tallulah7606 said:

Difficult one to answer, I’ve recently rewatched early 00’s Corrie too, and I have to say that I loved Karen at the time. I was genuinely gutted when she left, I thought she and Steve together were hilarious. But watching it again nearly 2 decades later, I see her very differently. She was mostly vile if I’m honest, I still like the character and I adore Suranne Jones, but my opinion has changed hugely over time 

I'm currently watching September 2003.

I didn't watch back then so I can't say  if people liked her I did mention this to a person who watched then, she loved Karen🤷🏽‍♀️. I know I don't, she's awful. Love the actress but Karen😡

I'm watching Tracy putting Haily and Roy through hell because she's pregnant "his" child and I would love to smack her😂.

Martin hooking up 16 Katie and thinking it's not a big deal.😯 wow.

Gail has started to change. I started 1999 episodes and Gail was so different than current Gail (well before she left on holiday) calling social services on Sarah and lieing to Nick potential employer just to keep from leaving again.  I couldn't see pre Richard Gail do that.

Edited by Coffeewinewater
On 10/10/2019 at 10:47 PM, TeeVee329 said:

Slightly off-topic: I've been watching a lot of 2003, 2004 Corrie and I have a question.  Was Karen McDonald a character that people liked?  Because while I know I should feel at least a little bad for her given the way Tracy keeps messing with her and her life...she's horrible lol!  I don't know why Steve clings on to her so hard given how she berates him and often physically attacks him.

I can't stand her! One of the things is karen screams constantly lol.

Tracy is also one that pisses me off. The funny thing is I actually currently really like Tracy.  

23 hours ago, Coffeewinewater said:

Tracy is also one that pisses me off. The funny thing is I actually currently really like Tracy.  

Tracy has changed so much over the years! 😂 back in the 80s and early 90s she was played by another actress, and she was just a narky, spoiled teen with a bad attitude. After her kidney op she disappeared for years then came back one day as this actress. She was utterly vile and completely evil- blackmail, bullying, stealing, lying, cheating..... and murdering. 
working with Mary seems to have mellowed her 😂 I like her now, and I’ve literally NEVER liked Tracy in all the years I’ve watched Corrie 

• LOL 1

I have to ask.... does anyone know when they’re going to write out the godawful Geoff!? I don’t know how much longer I can bear this irritating storyline. It’s not even remotely sinister or disturbing-Yasmeen has always been such a strong and feisty woman, and to create this storyline they’ve literally changed her personality in a poor attempt to make it work. Add to that fact that Geoff is just plain irritating rather than sinister and you’ve got another stupid storyline to rival Gemma and Cheney’s quadgate

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, Tallulah7606 said:

I have to ask.... does anyone know when they’re going to write out the godawful Geoff!? I don’t know how much longer I can bear this irritating storyline. It’s not even remotely sinister or disturbing-Yasmeen has always been such a strong and feisty woman, and to create this storyline they’ve literally changed her personality in a poor attempt to make it work. Add to that fact that Geoff is just plain irritating rather than sinister and you’ve got another stupid storyline to rival Gemma and Cheney’s quadgate

You are right about changing Yasmeen's character.   Which is why I have no sympathy for her.  I know what a strong woman she's always been.   And Geoff is different too for that matter.   When his character was introduced, he seemed full of himself and annoying, but not the jerk he is now.  All I can think of is how I cannot wait for Tim to find out what a terrible person is father is.  Come to think of it,  Tim was no prize when he first appeared either--thankfully, they  changed him for the better.

• Love 1

Yeah the storyline has really touched a nerve. Very poignant and realistic. Especially her anger, frustration and devastation about it all. A lot of the characters in these storylines have a moment of clarity where they feel ready to die etc. I never find it realistic. 

I haven’t watched for almost three months, but I am still following the storylines on social media and googling spoilers 😄 I can’t bear to watch Sinead’s storyline 😭

I have read the spoilers about the birth of Gemma’s quads. It’s just so unrealistic that it makes me angry - in real life, there is every likelihood that she would be on bedrest this late in her pregnancy, never mind traipsing around to soccer games or up in a cable car! I mean, come on. I understand a little suspension of disbelief, but that’s ridiculous.

• Love 1

I went back through a Corrie updates site that I follow, and according to that, she found out that she was pregnant at the end of April. Supposing that she was about eight weeks/two months along when she found out, that makes her almost eight months now.

The Sinead/Daniel story has been so well done.   Today's episode with Sinead making the video for Bertie was beautifully l written and so well-acted.  I hear tomorrow is going to be a real tear-jerker.    But it's hard to understand how a show can put out this storyline and then do a complete turnaround with stupid stuff like Gemma and the quads.  

• Love 1

This is mean, but I kinda enjoyed Tracy and Sally laying into Bethany, both because it was good to see classic Tracy ("What do you care, bitch") and Sally subtly referring to what happened with Kevin and Molly was a nice touch.

Gail's hair was looking very "Charlie's Angels".

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1

I must be made of stone these days, because I didn’t shed a single tear. I cry at all sorts in soaps normally-Ken’s speech when he found out sinead had weeks to live had me bawling my eyes out-but I just didn’t like the way sineads actual death was filmed. Nobody looked that distraught, least of all her own mother. 

1 hour ago, Tallulah7606 said:

I must be made of stone these days, because I didn’t shed a single tear. I cry at all sorts in soaps normally-Ken’s speech when he found out sinead had weeks to live had me bawling my eyes out-but I just didn’t like the way sineads actual death was filmed. Nobody looked that distraught, least of all her own mother. 

For some reason, I lost it when Billy was talking to Sinead.  A 25 yr. oldt handing a vicar a paper with her funeral plans was too much for me.   I  thought there were plenty of distraught people.  Daniel and Beth were a mess.  And poor Chesney.   Even Tracy.  

• Love 1
22 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

This is mean, but I kinda enjoyed Tracy and Sally laying into Bethany, both because it was good to see classic Tracy ("What do you care, bitch") and Sally subtly referring to what happened with Kevin and Molly was a nice touch.

Gail's hair was looking very "Charlie's Angels".

It was nice to sally again it feels like it's been months. I might agree with you about Sally but sally has been a big ol' cheater herself.  I didn't mind Tracy because as you said classic Tracy. Tracy also has never pretended to be a saint,  Sally on the other hand🤨

2 hours ago, Tallulah7606 said:

Nobody looked that distraught, least of all her own mother. 

That was a tough spot narratively for the show, because of course you have to have Sinead's mother there, but we as an audience aren't really invested in her because she's not a main character.  But - and I don't know the ins and outs of the history - I kinda felt for her when Sinead was talking to Beth and it seemed to dawn on the mom that Sinead basically saw Beth as a mom too, and maybe a better one.

25 minutes ago, Coffeewinewater said:

It was nice to sally again it feels like it's been months. I might agree with you about Sally but sally has been a big ol' cheater herself.

A big ol' cheater indeed lol!  But it kinda made sense in this specific instance, with the wife ill of cancer as she was during/right after Kevin and Molly's affair.  And that really was the end of her and Kevin, at least so far.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

That was a tough spot narratively for the show, because of course you have to have Sinead's mother there, but we as an audience aren't really invested in her because she's not a main character.  But - and I don't know the ins and outs of the history - I kinda felt for her when Sinead was talking to Beth and it seemed to dawn on the mom that Sinead basically saw Beth as a mom too, and maybe a better one.

A big ol' cheater indeed lol!  But it kinda made sense in this specific instance, with the wife ill of cancer as she was during/right after Kevin and Molly's affair.  And that really was the end of her and Kevin, at least so far.

I have been watching old episodes on YouTube but haven't gotten to the Kevin and Molly episodes yet. As I said it was nice to see Sally again.  Hopefully more characters resurface. Sinaed storyline was done beautifully but I'd like to see more of the other characters Roy, Steve, Liz, Eileen, Roy ect.