Type keyword(s) to search

Coronation Street - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Just like Carla said herself, I cannot imagine her being a mum.  I'm surprised she hasn't been heavily complaining about having to stop drinking wine.  I do wonder if there will be a miscarriage storyline (SL), as I can't see how the Carla-Peter/Carla-Underworld/Carla-Rob plots will be spiced up with the introduction of an infant.  

Plus, I have a soft spot for Simon, and he doesn't need to see his sometimes-aloof father fawning over a new step-sibling.  

And I guess Tina and Peter are definitely over, since Michelle Keegan is leaving Corrie soon.  Or, was the pregnancy test a false negative, and she will skip town with Peter's bun in the oven?!

Sad to see Stella go, btw.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm actually enjoying the Tina/Peter storyline.  Though I'm relatively new to the show, from what I know of Peter's past, he's definitely the type who would engage in an extra-marital affair.  Tina's been unlucky in love, so I could see her getting involved with Peter just because he showed her a bit of attention. 

From what I gather, most don't think this storyline is within character for these two.  I'm enjoying it though, and it's one of the only storylines keeping my attention on the show currently.  The only other even remotely interesting storyline is the Phelan/Windass-Armstrong one.

I don't care that Carla's pregnant. 

I don't care for Michelle, and don't find her constant  shrieking like a harpy and emasculating of Steve funny in the least.

Tracy. Leanne. Kal. Platts. Maria. Marcus. Todd.  Blah.

Todd brings the vile every time he reappears, and makes Eileen's [and others'] lives worse every time. But the actor does that thing of making him viable, if not likeable. Tracy? She's been the resident evil for years, but seems to be in a fallow period where she's just bitchy. They seem to only let her loose occasionally.

Michelle's never done a thing for me, either; unlike Carla, who has some snap to her, she just seems kinda cheap and lame.

The Anna/Phelan thing is gripping all right--but I still find the reclamation of Owen a bit unbelievable.

Edited by pearlite

Oh, and I nearly died the other day watching the scenes with Anna and Phelan!  He is a disgusting person, and I was surprised that Anna agreed to all of that.  I know she loves Owen...but still.  And I was waiting for Phelan to reveal that he had a hidden camera or something.  Gross.

Still surprised Carla's going through with this pregnancy...  And I agree with you about Michelle.  She's a nag.

I agree with you--the current snarl-up with Peter/Carla-Underworld/Carla-Rob-pawn shop or whatever won't likely work with something as out of character as Carla the madonna. Oh, who doesn't love Simon? That kid is a treasure.

Nah, Tina told Peter she's not pregnant, but who knows? [sorry if I should have spoilered that]

I was sad to see Stella leave, too--I liked the actress and her grouping with selfish-mom, selfish-daughter, and Leanne.

I hate Carla.  I hated her with Paul.  I hated her with Liam.  I hated her with Frank (?).  And I hate her with Peter.  I think that pregnancy is going to suck up all the energy of the show and I am going to hate it.  She is a tedious, whiny, abhorrent person and if she thinks Peter is going to be a good father, she is smoking crack. 

God I was hoping they would use the whole Tina murder messs to rid us of this harpy once and for all not allow her to reproduce. Watch this is how she's going to weazle her way in the Barlows. I don't get it she done the same 3 stories for 5 years at least(my boyfrined trying to kill me, my faktry going under and I an evil cow who has no friends.  Is carla actually that popular in the UK? Cuz I've always gotten the feeling she's love her or hate her at best? TPTB are throwing over Peter a major legacy character and one of the shows best actors and for what? To prop up an already over exposed Black Hole Sue of a character? Not to mention they threw Jane Danson under the bus to get Peter and Carla together in the first place. I may need to take a break from Corrie after this. Alison KIng must have dirt on the producers or something because Corrie is notorious for not letting actors pull the crap that she is obviously pulling.(Frankly backstage bullshit is the only reason I can think of for breaking up Peter and Leanne in the first place, since it made zero sense storywise.  )  I'm still hoping its all a fake out and Peter isn't really leaving its just so they can trick us into thinking he's the killer or something. Forgot to add I think Carla may want to have this kid but I don't think it will actually be born. Part of the fallout from this story will be poor Carla losing her baby too.

Edited by Emily Thrace

Actually, merciless shrew that I am, I really loathe Sophie's friend Maddie. And I'm sick of her self-destructive behaviour. And I used to like Sophie, but this incarnation isn't doing it for me.

• Love 2

Maddie is such a drain.  And I'm disappointed in Sophie for being such a puppy dog, just trotting alongside Maddie and her nonsense.  

Maria's texts "from Kirstie" -- bizarre.  One minute Fizz and Tyrone are scared to death and locking themselves in the house....the next minute they're fine enough to leave the kids with loopy Maria so they can have a night out.  

Thanks for the link to the Black Hole Sue reference.  

No one has called Carla out on her OJ-drinking.  I'm sure someone is going to start realizing that her headache excuse is overused, and Carla would never turn down red wine with regularity.  

First post here - I'm wondering if we're mostly Canadians?  Anyway, I've been watching Corrie since 1983 - so I was happy to see a forum here.  I have to add that I cannot stand Maddie - what is worse, I'm beginning to get really annoyed with Sophie because of her.  I really don't see where this storyline is going to go.  All the humour went out of the Websters when Rosie left.  I read a story online that they are going to be bringing in several new characters.  Of all that have arrived, the only ones I'm even remotely interested in are Steph and Luke.  Andrea - can't stand her.  Kal - blah.  Maddie - horrible.   Sharif - whatever.  Phelan is pure evil.

• Love 1

Yup, I'm Canadian.

Agreed, the Websters are now off-balance, and uninteresting. Sophie has been rewritten into something dull--the do-gooder is sort of still there, but not much else. Rosie really brought the flavour. In fact, I was relieved to see Kevin come back, and I wasn't particularly interested in him.

In fact, there's not a lot of funny counter-balance in the show at the moment. I get starved for a few minutes with Norris, king of love-to-hate. Crazy Mary? She seems more like a prop than a character--she mostly comes in to say something tactless, then leaves. I miss the Battersbys, original-recipe Windasses, and some of the rest who were genuinely funny and a bit grotesque. Beth, you can keep--I just find her unpleasantly selfish, not actually comic.

I barely know who Andrea is, and yes, Kal is just bland--the actor playing Sharif is good, but the role's a stereotype.

Yeah haven't got to Tina's murder yet here. However, feel almost glad the character is going as she has really gone through the ringer with the surrogate storyline and now the affair with Peter. I like the actress but the character has really gone downhill.

Speaking of downhill, I think the Webster's really started going downhill even before Rosie(Helen) left. Once Kevin's affair and Jack's paternity was revealed the family as a whole and the characters all went downhill especially to me Sophie. She became this whiney teenager with no real ambitions who seems to get in over her head going from one mess to another. Also she seems so isolated as a character only interacting with her mother and whoever her love interest is at the time and also Dev. I was surprised watching old clips that she and Chesney were best friends when they were kids.

I really am loving this Maria/Fiz/Tyrone storyline(I never thought I'd say that about Maria I usually she one of my most hated television characters period). Maria has always been a spoiled brat and this really is just a slightly more deluded step further. I like that we're getting fiesty Fiz back after her playing Mommy doormat for so long. I can't believe its taken this long for them to use Maria as a villian actually its so much more entertaining than her perpetual victim routine. Any storyline where David is the voice of reason is made of gold as far as I'm concerned.

Peter sadly is starting to bore or more accurately his relationship with Carla. I've never beleived Carla really loves him. Its not even the writers its Alison King I've never really believed in any of Carla's relationships because I never actaully believed Carla cares about anyone but Carla. I've always felt like for Carla her relationships are just another thing she needs to aquire to make herself feel superior.

That said I still hope the whole Chris Gascoyne leaving is just a fake out like with Dennis. I suspect Dennis coming back is due to Bill Roache getting off. I know I'm probably as deluded as Maria at this point but I hope they do the same with Peter. 

Not a Canadian, but I do love this show!  I heard some time ago that Michelle Keegan (I think I may have that correctly) was leaving, but it never occurred to me that they would actually kill off Tina - the actor is one of the BEST on the show - even if the Tina/Peter storyline sucked raw eggs.  Here in the 'lower 48' I don't yet know how it will turn out - I don't like Rob AT ALL, and am hoping for a redemption moment when he fesses up  to save his sis...I am hoping Carla does NOT lose the babe - but dead babies seem to be the stuff soaps are made of - at least where I live.  I have come to like the character, which is quite odd as I really thought she was a waste of space when I first started watching Corrie - back when Carla was married to Paul, Leanne was on the outs as a call girl, but had the chops to blackmail Paul for something he didn't do - but I have now come to quite like her - nearly as much as I detest Leanne - but that is an entirely 'nother story.  Anyhow, Why the hell couldn't it be that buttwad Norris who got offed?  OR - why oh why could they not have Tracy with the guilty sign around her neck? Ever since she showed up, I have had to change the channel whenever she comes on - a more detestable character I can not imagine!

• Love 1
why oh why could they not have Tracy with the guilty sign around her neck? Ever since she showed up, I have had to change the channel whenever she comes on - a more detestable character I can not imagine!

Aw I've actually been liking her character this week. Tracy may have her flaws but she genuinely loves her brother, which is even more interesting considering they grew up in entirely different households and are 15 years apart. I've always had a soft spot for Tracy but she actually managed to earn it this week. The episode today both moments where she told Peter she knows he didn't do it and hugged Simon were really sweet.  I do like that she's standing up to Rob whom I've always hated. I almost laughed at him calling Peter gutless since I've never seen any evidence Rob has a spine.

Deirdre is of course believing blindly in her child's innocence despite the fact that Peter is forty odd years old and not actually her child.  Although I think after all these years he feels like hers and frankly I think she likes him better than Tracy most of time anyway(it helps that Peter actually appreciates her probably because he never really had a mother to begin with). I did laugh at Liz's reaction to Deirdre's defense of Peter those two really great friends and Liz knows better than anyone how blind Deirdre is sometimes. Besides it not like the shoe has never been on the other foot Steve is no angel either.  I really felt sorry for Deirdre when Carla laid into her. Dierdre didn't deserve that and to me it just shows how selfish and nasty Carla is. It seems like bullying, tearing a strip of someone who has flat out said they don't want to fight you, especially someone as harmless as Deirdre. I wish Dierdre or even Liz had said you'll understand when you have a child of your own.

• Love 1

What total crap this is with the scheduling!!! For the second day in a row, FIFA is on when Corrie is scheduled!  I've followed all the scheduling AND checked the listings for my cable providerdaily, so I only tuned in when Corrie was supposed to be on & yet again the schedule is screwed.  Here in the US I have to rely on cbc.ca for information - and all they are providing is a crapfest. Thanks to the total lack of information from cbc.ca,  have no idea what is actually being shown, much less when. I can only hope there will be some end to the relentless sportcasts sometime before hockey season starts up again.

Okay I am almost ready to forgive the awfulness of Tina/Peter since it brought about the combination of Peter and Jim. Its funny the two character have never interacted but there is so much history between those two families the relationship feels deep and that actor play off each other beautifully. Jim and Peter are both varitations on the old Corrie "Hardman" archetype and they are so similar and yet so different its really wonderful to watch. Jim's regret is palpable and you can see him struggling to both mentor Peter and keep him at arms length. I love the interplay between those two families so I can't wait to se how this plays out.

Also the cricket match was fun and its the first time Kal and family have felt truly part of the show.

I guess I must be totally out of the loop because I see NOTHING of a MENTORING relationship between Peter and Jim MacDonald,...Now, granted, I am a relative new-comer to Corrie - the first episodes I saw had to do with the (then) on her way out as a call girl Leanne getting Paul Conner as her 'assignment' which led to the blackmail ( since they never did the wild thing) and his death followed by Carla's total hatred of Leanne...and, IIRC, a lovely scene of Eileen and some woman who came to take back the baby Eileen had been caring for - must have been the wrap up of that particular story line as I've no recollection of seeing any mention of it since.

Anyhow...the Jim/Peter relationship looks to me to be more of thug versus victim (loosely interpreted where Peter is considered, certainly, but in this case I DO see Peter as the victim ESPECIALLY since I ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT wrap my mind around the concept that Leanne (whom I've had ZERO regard for since the start, although not because of her call girl past, but rather because she is a complete and total fishwife bitch arrogant c***)) is in any way shape or form a fit parent for Simon or has ANY legal right to his guardianship....I can't recall any episode where Peter named Leanne as the poor kid's guardian...not to mention my current dislike of Simon as a manipulative little bastard for using the acts of running away and placing himself in unsafe situations as some sort of 'sound' reasoning for putting him into Leanne's very questionable 'care'. Ken and Dreary may not be ideal, but IMNSHO have a LOT more to offer as guardians to Simon than Leanne ever could - Amy and her nasty mom nothwithstanding!

What exactly is the 'Hardman' archetype? I just haven't been watching Coerrie long enough to get that.  That being said - Corrie is by far the best soap I've seen in many a long year - USA soaps totally suck and are so far from reality based to be totally laughable!

I've only been watching for a few weeks but I'm greatly hooked on the show. Love the natural acting and small storylines alongside the big dramatic stories. I find the cast very large and some of the actors look and sound fairly similar, so I do have to work sometimes at figuring out who is whom. If anyone has any good resource for picking up on the backstories, I'd really appreciate it. 

Unlike every other commentator here, I really like Maddie. Think she's hilarious and the actor playing her is charming and fun. Of course, I missed all the heavy dramatic sides to her story, maybe she just excells at the comedy. I'm not totally clear on her relationship with Sophie. Because they always seemed to be kissing each other and holding hands, I assumed they were a romantic couple, but now I know she has a history of living on the street, they both seem fairly young, and it's been mentioned that Sophie is a do-gooder, I'm wondering if Maddie was originally her project and they just became good friends?

My favourite character is Julie, I find she's completely adorable, and that's not something you usually see given to women of a certain age. I just wish she was featured more often, especially in her storyline with Dev and the rivalry with Mary. These comedic bits are magical. Just loved watching Julie running down the street trailing chips, after she mistook his scarf adjustment for a kiss. I'm assuming that he IS interested but he's just a big dope and is equally unaware of how Mary is manipulating him. Anyway, more interested in that story than Kylie's descent into drug addiction (although Callum is a cutie). I'm going to miss Rob as a villain when that storyline wraps up, but I'm hoping Todd falls into better circumstances, since he makes a terrific replacement. He just can't do a lot of damage in his current unemployed situation.

Back when I first discovered Corrie - this was when the accident was about occur at the factory and Paul Connor was alive and Leanne was on her way out as a pros and blackmailed Paul....anyhow....I 'met' both these women at the same time and COULD NOT STAND either of them....but...as time has passed, Carla has grown on me and Leanne has turned into a totally reprehensible and unmitigated fishwife...how strange is it that I would have bet anything that it would have turned out the opposite....anyhow....I am rather caught up in the current storylines for Carla, Peter, even Todd....not so much Leanne as I can not fathom how she ever got to be the primary caregive for Simon and where in the hell she got custody of him....Roy's dealings with the bullies is too much as so many others have gone - how I would LOVE to see him turn into some sort of senior karate kid and beat the crap out of his tormentors...Tracy is, in spite of her recent actions in turning Peter in, a pathetic one-note who will NEVER do anything other than blame someone else for her troubles, I would be quite happy to see her OFF the 'street' forever....Sally is a snooze fest...Tim only a bit less so...I've loved Fiz since before John Stape came along....never could understand whatever Ashley was saying, so he and Claire are not much missed...I wish Steve and Michelle would get on with it or call it off forever - some things just drag on TOO long! So many more to comment on, but it's been a long week and I'm tired so I'll just say, for all its perceived faults and somewhat boggled storylines, Corrie is still the BEST SOAP going! 

I agree becauseisaid so, Corrie IS the best soap ever! I was pretty shocked when I checked out Corriepedia (thanks sparklemotion!) and found out so many of the characters had multiple marriages and in fact, had undergone as many dramatic and farfetched situations as any American soap! I really thought Peter's storyline was the rare heavy plot and most of the other action revolved around small, character driven moments. I guess it's because they seem to handle any kind of outlandish situation in their stride - calmly and with the inevitable cup of tea.

I'm really enjoying the Peter & Carla & Tracy fireworks, thought the two handed scenes between Rob and Tracy were terrific (I am SO going to miss Rob - wish we could see him in prison, ideally with Peter's old cellmate - loved that guy). Fascinated by Todd's character. Think the actor playing him is doing a great job, I caroom between finding him as horrible as his family usually does, and feeling terribly sorry for him with his family's rejection of his making amends and the mugglng afterwards.

I don't like Fitz at all, find her voice grating and the actress playing her looks disturbing like Alfred E. Neumann. The Tim storyline is good I think, and I'm enjoying it, although I agree that Sally is kind of boring and almost puts me to sleep whenever she appears. (Sad, considering that we share the same name). I get the impression that she used to be a bit of a bad girl and the writers haven't known what to do with her since converting her to more of a MOR stable character. 

I'm not getting why Roy is being targeted at all. I could see if young vandals were hitting the local businesses, but why isn't anyone else getting egged and robbed? So many questions....

Edited by PreBabylonia

I am finding the Kylie/David/druggie storyline a complete turnoff. I haven't been able to stomach 'David' since I began watching Corrie and find his sudden, supposed, reformation into holier-than-thou-dad/husband of the year not only nauseating, but totally unbelievable.  He's been perfectly written as a nasty whack job & the rehab was much too sudden and without any semblance of a personal discovery/realization moment/event to make it even remotely credible or (even worse in TV land) interesting. Nor have I been able to tolerate Kylie since she made her appearance - I suppose the only reason I hate David more than Kylie is purely a seniority thing. I just can't see anywhere where either of them have recognized, understood, apologized for and attempted to put right all the crap they have pulled on others. The less of them I am inflicted with, the better I like it - Corrie has so many more characters (Sally Webster excepted, of course) and storylines that could really turn into something fantastic that I just can't understand all the time spent on those two. wastes of space.

• Love 2

I just saw the special Rita & Me celebrating Barbara Knox being on Corrie for 50 years.  What a reminder of why I got hooked on this show in the first place!  Alan Bradley getting killed by the tram was one of the first street deaths I ever saw and what a death to be in on!  It was also great to see Mavis back on the street. I don't mind Norris but the Rita/Mavis pairing was Coronation Street at its best.

I saw that Rita and Me and it was nice, considering I hadn't watched the show that far back but I love the Rita character...

As of late my only sentiment haws been poor Roy. Anna has totally glazed over the fact that Gary was in the wrong and is being miserable. The whole Kylie storyline has been dragging on too long and Steve being such a mess is depressing. 

I saw that Rita and Me and it was nice, considering I hadn't watched the show that far back but I love the Rita character...

As of late my only sentiment haws been poor Roy. Anna has totally glazed over the fact that Gary was in the wrong and is being miserable. The whole Kylie storyline has been dragging on too long and Steve being such a mess is depressing. 

ITA totally, Kylie and David are two of the least likeable characters on the show and while they can be a bit entertaining at times, they both have far too much of a nasty history to make them in any way sympathetic. Seeing David's holier-than-thou act is nothing short of puke-able...The only redemptive part of the current major storyline is as pertains to Roy - anything Windass has been very hard for me to take ever since they made their first appearance on the street. I'd like to see a bit more time spent on Jason, Fiz, (with Tyrone & the kids) Sean, Carla, even Michelle and Maria - and PLEASE let's have as little as possible of whatever-the-hell Chesney's girlfriend's name is (listening to her is a complete horror - one would think the English language is completely devoid of the letter 'T'.) Eileen needs a good story as does Lloyd! Leanne should crawl under a rock - but, please, not before a decent caregiver is found for Simon. I have NO clue why Steve's storyline is being dragged into oblivion instead of making it into the solid statement it could be! Are the writers on strike? Are there actual writers for the show? I really have to wonder.

I've been looking all over all the Corrie sites I can find, but I still can't find any justification for slimey David Platt's statements about Kylie "abandoning" her kids....HELLO!!!!!!!!....David kicked her out! Now, I really have NO use for Kylie, haven't been able to tolerate her since she was introduced as Becky's sister ( and I really, really, liked Becky and would - inspite of her rather chaotic personality/actions LOVE to see her back on the street) but I have ages less ( as in billion years earth ages less) regard for that total waste of space known as David Platt.....I'd give two shits more about seeing this story line get real if I didn't have actually interesting storylines about Roy and Steve commanding my attention.  I know Kylie's been temporarily written off into no-man's land while she's on maternity leave, but let's PLEASE see an end to Kylie and give this actor a role worthy of her seeming talent. I've seen mention on other Corrie sites that there are no less than 3 actors having their storylines altered to accommodate pregnancies - but who are the other two? At least these soaps do a better job of it than the US version of soaps that is nothing short of soft porn.

• Love 1

Shocked to hear about Anne's passing. Deirdre was a true legend in an era where most seem self-appointed icons. Anne was good at both comedy and drama and always made a scene her own. Ray and Deirdre are one of my favorite soap couples of all time, and I loved her relationship with Blanche - toughness and tenderness all rolled into one. 

Corrie won't be the same without her. 

• Love 1

I can't believe she was only 60.  She has looked ancient since I started watching the show 15 years ago.  Kudos to the show for showing real people rather than botoxed babes.  But seriously, ladies, don't smoke.

• Love 1

I'm on the Canadian time frame so we"re about a week behind. I have to comment about the present story with Roy. Seriously?? Anna has the nerve to look down on and "never forgive" Roy??? Gary- who has a criminal history of violent crime; who himself suffered from PTSD and held Izzy hostage at one point;  who ruined his entire family after a violent (albeit not undeserved) attack on Phelan and who broke into a bullied man's business/home is the victim here? Anna has a very short and selective memory. If she could justify everything that Gary did and continues to do why is there no consideration for what caused Roy's  out of place behaviour. I am really ready to see the last of the Windass family.

Gary- who has a criminal history of violent crime; who himself suffered from PTSD and held Izzy hostage at one point;  who ruined his entire family after a violent (albeit not undeserved) attack on Phelan and who broke into a bullied man's business/home is the victim here? Anna has a very short and selective memory. If she could justify everything that Gary did and continues to do why is there no consideration for what caused Roy's  out of place behaviour.

I've only been watching the show since October 2014, so I haven't seen any backstory for Gary, but if he's suffered from PTSD, I would have a lot of sympathy for his character. I see him as a young man pushed into a corner, abandoned by his girlfriend and his family. I definitely think we've seen the motivation for breaking into Roy's shop - he's figured it's an easy target, nobody will get hurt and the neighbourhood bullies will get blamed. Insurance would probably offset the loss. (Speaking from his perspective, of course. I know that there would be a big deductible with the insurance company, and Roy would be out of pocket for the money). Gary was feeling terrible about breaking his sister's headphones and not providing properly for his child. Everything was made worse of course by Owen - probably the biggest dick on the show. I can't stand that man! (Great acting though). 

Thought CS did a good job of making us feel sorry for both men - two victims in this case. And I think Anna's anger comes from the fact that Roy kept beating on Gary after he had clearly immobilized him. For all she knew, Roy had recognized Gary and still kept attacking him because it made him feel good after months of being victimized - by life and neighbourhood bullies.

I also like Sinead (Chesney's girlfriend) - totally sweet character. I'm invested as to whether she is permanently paralyzed after the accident. From a dramatic viewpoint, I think it would have been fascinating to see what happens after if Tracy had gone down with the bus after saving Carla. The ramifications could have been earthshattering. The spoiler I'd read about the accident indicated that there would be at least one fatality, so I'm feeling a bit cheated despite being fond of many people on that bus.

I'm closer in age to many of the older cast, but I find I'm more interested in the younger people. The older ones seem quite drippy and frequently moan about their lot in life. Reminds me of a job I had about a year ago - the young ones endlessly dissected their love lives and spent most of their free time getting drunk, the older talked about their disintegrating health. I greatly preferred to speak with the young ones, much more fun. In the same way, Ken & Norris & Roy are only bearable to me in small doses.