Type keyword(s) to search

Ben And Lauren: Happily Ever After? - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I was irrationally excited to watch this show, maybe because Ben and Lauren seemed to be genuinely gooey-eyed for each other on The Bachelor. So far, they just aren't cute or interesting though.

LAUREN: I'd like to do a ridealong with a streetsweeper one day.

Yes, Ben, you proposed to the woman who said her dad cutting the grass is her idea of a good time. She meant it. That's how she's able to tolerate your doofy ass.

BEN: Watch me do my cart tricks again, honey. [breaks shopping cart]

They've got to pick up their game. Pretending to have JoJo drama and installing toilets isn't going to cut it.

• Love 1

Agreed.  They are incredibly boring and there is no basis for a show from what I saw in episode 1.  All I see are 2 people pretending they want to be left alone from people asking personal questions while they tape a reality show.  Sorry, but that makes no sense.  

There have been plenty of Bach/ette couples over the years, and they didn't get their own show.  I am not really sure why this couple did.  They are nice enough, but nice enough doesn't really give a great show.

• Love 1

The show seemed very scripted. I mean, I'm not surprised because this is an off-shoot of TB franchise. What I was surprised about though is how blatantly it's scripted; for example, the mariachi band that came over to play right as they had their "fight" in the restaurant. The band was shooed away, only to have them come back again. It all seemed very forced and the band even looked kind of embarrassed. 

Lauren going on and on and on about JoJo was very forced as well. Do any of us believe she's actually worried about Ben ditching her for JoJo? Girl, please. 

Pretending to be shocked while getting approached by strangers at the grocery store? Sure, because everyone goes to the store with a camera crew! (Makes me think of Sandy Lyle in Along Came Polly). But that aside, I think it was still pretty blatant that the lady asking them all about their relationship was a producer plant. 

The twins had to show up? Of course they did...

• Love 2

I can't think of two people from this franchise less interesting than these two. I'm sure there have been some, but obviously I've forgotten them already for that very reason. I'm sure the only reason anyone still remembers Ben is because he had a whole season to himself. Why TPTB thought these two awkward commoners needed more screen time is quite the mystery. I'm guessing it's just a cheap way to fill time until January and to trot out some more engaging Bachelor/ette folks. It's pretty sad when seeing the twins is a welcome distraction.

The fake(ish) JoJo drama just made me think once again how fast JoJo would've gotten bored of Ben. Lauren seems like the easiest person ever to entertain, so Ben really won the jackpot there. Though the way she was acting towards him at times made me think she's already a bit disillusioned by his unlovableness.

• Love 1

I was really looking forward to this show but as soon as I saw the twins I just went, ugh, not again.  I've seen enough of those two to last a lifetime.

I can see where they need to sorta resolve the JoJo issue but I hope it doesn't get dragged out past the lunch meeting.  I've seen enough of JoJo, too.

I'll be terribly disappointed if this just turns into another alumni show.

And it's sad that Ben and Lauren act like an old retired couple.  Don't these two do anything for fun?  C'mon, they live in the fun city of Denver right on the front line of the gorgeous Rocky Mountains, and we get grocery shopping and changing a toilet?  Haven't they traveled and made new friends and made wedding plans?  The show needs to focus in that...anything besides more of the same old bachelor franchise people.

After watching this episode I'm suspicious about the reason for this show.  They told Ben politics was a big no-no so maybe they gave him and Lauren this show as a consolation prize until his obligations to TB runs out.  I know he wants to go into politics as a career and doesn't seem to want to be a reality tv professional so this whole show is suspect.

In any case, it's a cute show but so stiff...I hope it picks up.

Edited by Paddywagon
2 hours ago, MsPH said:

I can't think of two people from this franchise less interesting than these two.

Yeah, the other engaged couples (pre-BIP) are more interesting. Jordan's and Kaitlyn's instagram accounts are both funny. I don't know that either couple would've made excellent tv, but I'm pretty sure they could do better than this.

The problem with Ben and Lauren is that even when they're being stupid (rapping in the car, for example), they're just not funny. Mildly naggy and (more than) slightly dorky do not make a show.

Wow, missed a few minutes of it last week but this was incredibly dumb. Not sure if scripted or they're just /that/ boring.

Finally saw the premiere and these 2 are the worst to get a spin-off. 

Lauren I used to like but her going on and obsession over Jojo was just annoying. Especially her attitude over going to lunch, when the whole lunch was for this show and to be taped. Yet Lauren's acting like she's doing Jojo this huge favor, it was Jojo who agreed to come on this show for them. Just like all the other alums in the preview.

Shawn and Kaitlyn should have gotten the spin off instead or anyone else really. 

This show is beyond dumb. Why am I watching?? Ben and Lauren are both so dull. Ben is not the least bit attractive with that scruffy, patchy beard thing he has going on. Lauren comes across as a dimwit with the practical jokes a junior high school kid would think was funny. Ben seems so easily overwhelmed. That just seems so weak to me. Is Lauren prepared to deal with this adult toddler forever? 

That house they live in is tiny! I would kill whoever I was forced to live with there.

I am trying to like this show but my lord how did they make his season of the Bachelor watchable?  I mean they are bringing Chad on next week and all these recycled Bachelor(ette) contestants.  It really is unwatchable.  And why is she not working?  I don't get that.

• Love 1

I'm watching because The Bachelor shows so little of the people involved. Unfortunately, this show explains the reasoning behind that.

Lauren's prank was horrible. One afternoon of making Ben squirm, ok. Three days, up until the moment his name isn't called to sing, is psychological torture. 

I didn't think the prank was funny either, just mean. I'm sure Ben was really excited about throwing the first pitch and then it was overshadowed by several days of stressing out about the singing. How is that funny? I wouldn't do that to an enemy let alone the person I love the most. I'm pretty sure it was the show that set it up, but Lauren went along with it and kept mum for days. I guess I'm just not a prank person, but how can you trust someone who can lie to you for days and might trip you up when you're not looking? Second-guessing everything because your partner has made you paranoid is not my idea of fun. I guess these two are just so naturally unfunny that they need to resort to stuff like this to entertain the audience.

Ben is indeed an adult toddler. There were glimpses of that during his season, when he'd throw his toys out of the pram over some imagined slight and when his mom told Lauren that he needs to be talked off the ledge quite often. I guess he's just young and still immature in many ways. Not very attractive to me, but he's not the worst Bachelor by any means. Dull though.

I ended up watching this show today. I came here just to express my disgust over Lauren's practical joke that went on and on and on. It's horrible to do that to someone. I hate practical jokes. They're just not funny, and they either are mean or border on mean (like making him change his clothes by getting him wet. So funny -- not.) Life is stressful enough without living with someone who might be sabotaging you without your knowledge. I sure wouldn't marry her, or even befriend her or live with her. And I liked her on Ben's season.

I can't believe he never told her about his love for Renaissance Faires. That was silly, to keep it a secret, and I am now deciding she's a real wet blanket. But I also doubt his real interest in Renfaires, because he didn't know what RAMPARTS are! How can he be into that historical era and not know castle basics? Absurd.

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 2

I didn't find the prank funny either. The poor guy was repeatedly filmed singing off key too, to add insult to injury.  

My eleven-year-old son watched part of the show with me and at one point he said something along these lines: "Why did these two get a show? Anyone else would've been better than them." LOL! 

• Love 1

That joke was fucked up. When she first described it, I thought she was just going to have the Rockies ask him to sing, then she would say "fooled you!" when he hung up the phone or something. Then he kept practicing. And practicing. And she kept saying "I feel so bad about this prank." And he kept practicing. And freaking out. And then they showed up AT THE STADIUM, DAYS LATER, and she still hasn't broken the good news to him. Then they're ON THE FIELD, and he finds out for sure he isn't singing because they announce that those kids are doing it? So fucked up. It's basically sadistic. If that's her revenge for him saying "I love you" to JoJo, they both need some serious counseling.

• Love 1

Yeah, Ben's scruffy face is so wrong. Everything on this show is staged, so I don't think Ben really thought they were going to let him sing. If he did, he is intellectually stunted as well as an adult toddler (LOVE THAT). 

For instance, that supposed awkward silence after Jordan and JoJo sat down....that was fake. We all know JoJo never stops talking.

I can't tell if Lauren has a good deadpan expression or if she is just flatlined in her personality. And what happened to her sister's looks? Her sister was sooo cute on the hometown visit, and then she showed up in a very questionable looking outfit. Oh wait, her sister was probably like, "What is Freeform? No one will see me."

• Love 2

You know that every episode is thoroughly staged. I am sure they sit down with Ben and Lauren prior to filming and go over everything--ok, Lauren you are going to tape the faucet so it sprays on Ben. Then you are going to make him think he is singing at the ball game. Ben, you will have to act really surprised when it turns out you are not really going to sing, etc. I am sure they are both in on every stupid stunt. 

Why in the world has Lauren left her job?? Why would you do that? Is she just lazy and is thinking they'll cash in with the tv show and televised wedding? What does she do all day? I don't get it at all. She was a flight attendant for Alaskan Airlines, but they have different hubs everywhere. I would think she could continue working. Neither Lauren nor Ben seem to have any spark at all. JoJo seems to have personality plus, compared to these two.

If Ben can't sing and knows it, why did he say yes?

LOL at them debating like they are going to say no to a free wedding. They're on their own reality show. Of course they were going to say yes and do it. 

Denver's a hub for United, she could easily be working. Part time if she didn't even want all the time.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, alexa said:

Do I dare ask how awful was this episode?  Thankfully I took it off my dvr!

Calling it awful would imply it's a guilty pleasure. I'm just holding out for wedding planning at this point.

At least they're adhering to the Bachelor Manual on Style: 

1.  Ben:  "Lauren and I's deal" 

2.  Chad:  "I mean, it's like, everyone's like, 'Are you that crazy?' I'm like, 'I did those things.' Like, what are you gonna say? But like whether there's cameras there or not, when I go out with friends and I, like, drink and I'm like, 'Let's have the craziest night ever,' I will do that type of stuff. You know what I mean?  It's like, but I'm having fun. but typically I don't have a group of people that are like watching me and like judging me and being like, 'He can't say that or he can't do that.'"

• Love 2
On 10/26/2016 at 0:17 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

At least they're adhering to the Bachelor Manual on Style: 

1.  Ben:  "Lauren and I's deal" 

2.  Chad:  "I mean, it's like, everyone's like, 'Are you that crazy?' I'm like, 'I did those things.' Like, what are you gonna say? But like whether there's cameras there or not, when I go out with friends and I, like, drink and I'm like, 'Let's have the craziest night ever,' I will do that type of stuff. You know what I mean?  It's like, but I'm having fun. but typically I don't have a group of people that are like watching me and like judging me and being like, 'He can't say that or he can't do that.'"

Thank you for this.  :>)

I just watched this just now. .  FFed to Chad. Staged, for sure, but there was something about Lace that read authentic.   The entire thing is such a set up that I am shocked I saw a genuine moment in there.  She and Chad, I question.  There were times I thought he should have put his arm around her and didn't.  Small gesture and not that important but is it?  

Worst. Show. Ever. An embarrassment to the Bachelor franchise, and it takes a lot to embarrass them. It was torture to watch, but it is my own fault. The remote is right there, in arm's reach, and the little off button takes no effort. I could put it under my dog's paw and press and have her turn it off.

Here is my list of grievances:

1) The F---- twins. Can some nice twenty-something production assistant pull them aside and tell them that they should refrain from using the F- word between shrieks?  Shriek, followed by the F word. The lowest common denominator of human expression, yet they use it constantly. Hey twins, use it occasionally, for effect. You might land a guy with half a brain that way. The other half of his brain would be dead of course, to have picked one of you.

2) Ben. So dull. 

3) Lauren. When is she going to realize how dull Ben is?

4) A bear? I would run, contract with Freeform or no contract with Freeform. I would not park myself anywhere near unleashed REAL wildlife like that.

5) Chris, the Farmer. What a loser. This guy is going down with a bullet. His best days are behind him. Time to go back to the farm, or the loft in Des Moines. He's on minute 14 and 45 seconds of his 15 minutes of fame. 

I'm done with this show. I can sit through fake, and set-up, but I can't sit through deadly dull or deadly stupid.

• Love 1

LOL, TheFinalRose, tell us how you really feel.

On 28/10/2016 at 2:02 AM, Pickles said:

It appears it is a requirement to have a below average IQ in order to appear on these Bachelor related shows.

I thought you were gonna say in order to watch them and I would've agreed, even though I've watched this wreck myself. At least I'm aware that this is a fictional show loosely based on true events, with terrible acting. There is just nothing real about this show. It's easy to tell when these people are reciting lines or acting out scripted situations since none of them can act to save their lives. There are like 2-5 minutes of real interaction in one episode, the rest is scripted BS that isn't even funny in any way. Like am I supposed to laugh at the girls starting a fire with a lighter and everyone pretending that they're pretending they did it with sticks and the guys believed them? Ohemgee, so hilarious! Don't even get me started on the fake camping and pretending they spent 2 days and 2 nights in the bushes. We all know they were there for a few hours to film and spent the night at a hotel. The twins were even in identical clothes and hairdos on "day 2 of camping". Good lord.

Chris Soules is such a loser. Whitney's getting married shortly while he's still trying to extend his 15 mins by hanging around with a bunch of kids and putting the moves on the ditzy twins (or that's what it seemed like). Get a life, Chris!

Chad can just die for all I care, since he brings nothing to this world. A vile human being.

• Love 2

Just saw the last few minutes. So, she is blogging for a living now? Good grief. Not like there aren't 47 million other bloggers already out there. Good luck with that. He keeps saying how overwhelmed he is, I guess with just living. He strikes me as a total follower. No trail blazer, that is for sure. 

• Love 2

Even I am becoming frustrated with the setup fakery of this show.  Ben as a Japanese chef, Lauren as a zookeeper, really?!  I liked them before this show but holy crap Lauren is coming across as a spoiled brat and Ben as a doofus IMO. 

• Love 1

This was so fake and silly. No realtor shows a couple both a $150,000 fixer-upper AND a house that costs nearly a million dollars. They figure out what they can afford FIRST, then go house shopping. Of course she loved the fancy expensive house (who wouldn't?). But she's not even working?

I hate Lauren more every episode. Whiny, spoiled, unrealistic, demanding... Good job, chick.

She really expects people to buy her furniture a wedding presents? (a love seat!?). And I was with Ben on being offended that she "needed" another bar cart. Such a spoiled princess.

The blog idea is so stupid. She needed help with everything. Number one blog rule -- CAN YOU WRITE? Second rule -- are you original? I venture to say both answers are NO.

Why can't she go work the ticket counter at the local airport? 

How nice of her to think she ought to help pay for the McMansion she longs for by, you know, having a job.

I hate how un-normal these people are. She hates his photos and makeup, so she hires professionals. She has a big to-do to launch her blog. I cannot STAND her vocal fry anymore.

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 3

This show is really grim.  And the preview wants us to think Ben is calling off the wedding.  Oh please.  He just doesn't want to get married this soon.  He has already said that!  So contrived.  

13 hours ago, ilovetrashtv said:

This show is so incredibly fake, it has to be scripted. These two are terrible actors. Canceling it on my DVR asap. 

It will make your life much better.  I had such relief when I did the same after watching 2 episodes!  :-)

• Love 1
6 hours ago, alexa said:

It will make your life much better.  I had such relief when I did the same after watching 2 episodes!  :-)

I did the same thing. I just lurk here to see if either of the show's idiots comes to his or her senses and ends this charade. Ben and Lauren really seem to deserve each other, though. By staying together, they can save the rest of the dating world from boredom. Let's just hope they don't procreate.

I have this dopey show on. New episode. Ben seriously says that Lauren will have to be his biggest cheerleader and reassure him (it sounds like all of the time). I would be running, running, running. He has some serious insecurities. It would be emotionally draining to be his partner/wife. 

• Love 1

I don't understand why Lauren can't be a flight attendant anymore. She said it's because she gets recognized, but...so? In fact, I'd think the airline would love it, because simpleton fans would be more likely to book that airline through Denver on the off chance they'd meet Lauren.

• Love 1

Ben really, really sucks. If you're not ready for marriage, you don't go on The Bachelor, propose, make the girl leave her life and move to Denver, then call off the wedding when you see her in a wedding dress a year later. Lauren had to go and explain the wedding was off to the twins and Grant and Lace while still in the dress. What kind of dick does that to his fiancee on camera?

At the time of The Bachelor, Ben's mom got a lot of flack for saying he'd do better with JoJo. I'm starting to see her point. Dude's a mess and an asshole to boot.

• Love 1

I can't stand Lauren anymore. She's  so negative about every little thing, like she's worried Ben's goofiness will make her look dumb. And her whiney voice with that ridiculous vocal fry grates so badly! She strikes me as a spoiled princess who would be pretty hard to please.

That said, if Ben's cold feet isn't faked for the show (like so much of it obviously is -- let's go on a road trip, in our brand new car! to a Vegas promotional event set up beforehand!), he needs to wise up that Lauren isn't the girl for him, or he wouldn't be feeling that way so strongly. Because it's  mean to call off the wedding but keep living with her. She needs to issue an ultimatum and move  out.

Still, she shouldn't expect him to want to be involved in minute wedding details. Choose your bridal party, taste the cakes, and let her handle the rest.

I'd rather see a show about Lace and Graham, who do seem to have a stronger relationship.

Edited by Andromeda