Type keyword(s) to search

Barack Hussein Obama II: 44th President of The United States

2 hours ago, millennium said:

I have heard many pundits say this, and who am I to disagree, but it occurs to me that if in fact this is true it does not reflect very well on those African American voters -- that they can only be motivated to vote for the future of their nation if a black man is on the ballot.   In fact, it sounds a lot like racism to me (on their part, not yours).

I would imagine that the number of black voters who vote ONLY when there is a black man on the ballot is nominal. I also imagine that there are plenty of black men on ballots for whom black folks wouldn't be excited about voting. Were there African Americans motivated to reregister as Republicans so they could vote for Dr. Carson in the primary?

Ohwell mentioned that Obama would have also brought out more young voters. Maybe there is something about Obama other than, or at least in addition to, his race and gender that makes him very differerent from Hillary. Something that speaks to some number of youth and black people who didn't vote this year. Something that spoke to people who voted for Obama and then voted for Trump. 

Edited by RaeSpellman
  • Love 4

All those people are men though. So maybe something to do with gender?

I'm don't think that was the case though--that the African Americans who stayed home did it because it wasn't a black candidate.  I do think that some (most?) of them who stayed home or voted third party (I won't even discuss the three who voted for Trump) did so because they remember how the Clintons treated Obama during the 2008 campaign (Obama's candidacy was a "fairytale," among other slights), and that left a bad taste in their mouths.  Mine, too even though I voted for her.  I know some of my relatives brought it up in this campaign.  However, I think these same people would have voted for Joe Biden or Sanders or even Martin O'Malley.  In short, I don't think it had anything to do with race.    

It didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth.  But IMO it was that crime bill, particularly for the younger voters and gender.  That crime bill was brought up over and over again along with that super predator comment which was taken totally out of context.  It was bullshit, drug kingpins are super predators period, but an elite white woman using that term to describe anyone in the black community isn't going to come off well, even if it's true and it was as far as this black person is concerned. She was specifically relating the drug dealers who ruin these communities with the mob in that speech. But it continues to get lost on many of my fellow black folks that Joe Biden helped write that damn crime bill that they loved hanging over Hillary's head, yeah, lovable Joe. I have absolutely no doubt that with Obama there cheering him on and explaining shit away they would not have crucified Joe Biden over that crime bill the way they crucified Hillary.  Bill Clinton signed it but the black caucus cheered it on and Joe Biden wrote it along with Rahm Emanuel. This fact seems to be easily looked over when it comes to those black folks who want to crucify Hillary, predator comment my ass.

I've posted many a time that I don't think there was anything Hillary could have done to win, she had baggage, but even without it, there is just way too much hate for women in this country, and hate that comes not just from men, but our fellow women. The pundits totally underestimated this at least the liberal leaning ones did. I don't see how they did, but I guess that's what it means to live in a bubble.

This election did one thing and one thing only, it simply exposed just how racist, sexist and downright hateful the electorate is in this country. But again, this wasn't a newsflash for anyone who has been paying attention to the racist shit that has been spewed toward Obama for eight years. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 11
39 minutes ago, RaeSpellman said:

Ohwell mentioned that Obama would have also brought out more young voters. What would be their motive?

Ageism.  

I think people are pretty basic when you get down to it and vote for or against according to simplistic criteria and prejudices.  For example,  who is most like me, who will get me more [fill in the blank], who will take from me and give it to my enemies/people I hate, who is my party's candidate, who is more attractive, who is more popular, who do the voices on the radio and TV tell me to vote for, etc.

• Love 3
On 12/19/2016 at 6:27 PM, stillshimpy said:

Hey, does anyone know if Barrack Obama is a Cubs fan, by any chance?  I'm asking, because seeing as we're in Obama's thread, I thought I'd try and figure out if there was anything nice that happened in 2016 from his perspective.  

That was pretty much the only thing I could come up with after several minutes of searching my memory banks for something that didn't suck for him.

I mean, other than his cute dogs, lovely family, beautiful wife, good soul and soon-to-be retirement, that is.   

I hope that President-elect Trump will experience the same joyless Presidency that the Republicans vowed they'd give to Barack Obama on the day of his inauguration in 2009. The Republicans did everything to undermine anything positive he attempted to do. So be it.

Here's to history being repeated.  Cheers, and happy 2017.

mark-hamill-cruel-cruel-year-lead-1.jpg

Edited by Lunata
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, RaeSpellman said:

Ohwell mentioned that Obama would have also brought out more young voters. Maybe there is something about Obama other than, or at least in addition to, his race and gender that makes him very differerent from Hillary. Something that speaks to some number of youth and black people who didn't vote this year. Something that spoke to people who voted for Obama and then voted for Trump. 

Plus, Hillary at her best is kind of like your mom, or aunt, or friend.  Obama, like Trump, is a charismatic celebrity.  (That he's also smart and honest is nice, too, but I think -- based on Trump's success with voters -- those may not count for much for some, but they will vote for charisma.)

5 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I looked at those this morning and they're all great, but the ones where Obama is with kids are the best. He's such a natural dad; I especially love that one picture where he came in to the Oval Office, found a staffer's baby playing on the floor there and immediately sat on the floor and started rolling a ball back and forth with her.

• Love 7
20 hours ago, millennium said:

Ageism.  

I think people are pretty basic when you get down to it and vote for or against according to simplistic criteria and prejudices.  For example,  who is most like me, who will get me more [fill in the blank], who will take from me and give it to my enemies/people I hate, who is my party's candidate, who is more attractive, who is more popular, who do the voices on the radio and TV tell me to vote for, etc.

I dunno.  I know a few first and second time voters and they all without exception would have voted for the old angry man. All but one grudgingly voted for Hillary and the other didn't vote at all. 

That one picture should come with a warning; way to harsh my mellow.  Other than that, I really enjoyed that behind-the-scenes look back on this year. 

It just arrived yesterday, so I haven't read it yet, but The Nation put out a special issue, The Obama Years.  It's 80 pages (it's The Nation, so minimal advertisement), with articles from Katha Pollitt (taking a look at how some of us on the left were quick to criticize, but slow to give credit), Greg Grandin (Obama as both ardent champion and chief victim of American exceptionalism), Gary Younge (Obama symbolizing the gap between the nation's hopes and its realities), Laila Lalami (promises kept, and those broken), David Cole (Obama's civil rights legacy), Andrew J. Bacevich (a look back on the mistakes and successes during Obama's transformation from rookie to seasoned statesman), Robert Borosage (looking at whether Obama was a transformational president, since his achievements were significant but helped preserve the status quo), Joan Walsh (the racist backlash against his election), and many others.

• Love 9

I got misty eyed while looking through those amazing photos. The Obamas will be missed greatly- they seemed so down to earth and loved by everyone. I can only imagine what the next 4 years are going to bring....pouty faces, bad hair, no smiling, and a kagillion different shades of orange.

• Love 14

Pete Souza is such a great photographer. He's gotten so many great shots from the White House these past eight years. He must have earned the Obama's total respect because they allowed him extremely close access to get so many intimate photos. I hope they put them out in a coffee table book as I'd love to have a permanent copy.

Love 106 yr old Virginia McLaurin. Have you seen the video of her dancing with Barack and Michelle? This is what so much of the country just doesn't get. She says she never thought she'd live long enough to see a black man in the White House and now here she is. This video and the picture of the little boy touching his hair speak to my heart.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeXQRN_6pGkNVv9Tm0vU4images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRUn3mclEUeC4dFI1pbwk

• Love 12

^^^ This.  I teach second graders at a majority-minority school, and I made sure that we watched the swearing in on January 20, 2009.  I wanted my kids to SEE that someone who looked just like them could become President. 2013 was on MLK Day, so I couldn't show it to them, and you can be damn sure I won't have it on this year.  I've got black kids, Hispanic kids, and Muslim kids. None of them need to be exposed to the Bigot in Chief. 

• Love 14

In case anyone's interested, over this holiday weekend the White House posted to their YouTube channel/page/whatever it is a video (apparently a complete video) of the recent "Celebration of the Obamas" music special that aired on BET. It's actually called Love and Happiness: An Obama Celebration

The running time--YouTube says it's 1:21:33 (1 hour, 21 minutes, 33 seconds)--may dissuade some/many, but I'm posting the link for anyone who wants to see it (maybe you missed it/forgot it was on) or see it again.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CuzLdMPbKl8

• Love 5
On 12/30/2016 at 4:46 PM, Bastet said:

That one picture should come with a warning; way to harsh my mellow.  Other than that, I really enjoyed that behind-the-scenes look back on this year. 

It just arrived yesterday, so I haven't read it yet, but The Nation put out a special issue, The Obama Years.  It's 80 pages (it's The Nation, so minimal advertisement), with articles from Katha Pollitt (taking a look at how some of us on the left were quick to criticize, but slow to give credit), Greg Grandin (Obama as both ardent champion and chief victim of American exceptionalism), Gary Younge (Obama symbolizing the gap between the nation's hopes and its realities), Laila Lalami (promises kept, and those broken), David Cole (Obama's civil rights legacy), Andrew J. Bacevich (a look back on the mistakes and successes during Obama's transformation from rookie to seasoned statesman), Robert Borosage (looking at whether Obama was a transformational president, since his achievements were significant but helped preserve the status quo), Joan Walsh (the racist backlash against his election), and many others.

An amazing read and one issue I'm definitely going to keep.

• Love 1

Here's to history being repeated.  Cheers, and happy 2017.

Heh.  Okay, so that's actually my banner picture here and on Facebook and I feel like I should probably credit the real estate agent's post that I originally lifted it from a while back.   Then I realized, it likely wasn't his in the first place and might have actually been formed by the thoughts milling about in the ether:  "Let's kick 2016 off a cliff."   The Graphic that our collective will formed.   

I couldn't make it through the Obama pictures because I felt such crushing sadness throughout.  President Obama is a man who exudes decency, compassion, he got a lot done, navigating terrible roadblocks and disrespect at every turn.   He wasn't a perfect president but I knew in my heart of hearts that he actually cared deeply about people.  The American people, people in general,  the people of the globe.  That he took his responsibility to us very seriously and knew that our safety and well-being could be positively or negatively influenced by every action he took, every word he shared.  He was careful with that responsibility. 

I'm going to miss him, just in general, not just because Creep à l'orange  is currently engaged in trying to provoke a man who is pretty much the blueprint for an unstable dictator with absolutely no regard for his own people.   

• Love 15

He's a good man and I'm glad he'll staying in Washington. But I have to unlearn this whole "Hope" thing. Because I really woke up this morning, like it was Christmas, with the hope they would have put through Merrick Garland for a year (a completely justified response to Republican obstructionism.)

No presents. No tree. No Santa.  Just Paul Ryan gloating and Chuck Schumer talking about "my good friend Mitch McConnell" and how Democrats will look for common ground but also "hold them accountable"--when everyone knows he has absolutely no power at all.

Hope fades fast.

• Love 6
On 1/3/2017 at 4:10 PM, rcc said:

Decency and compassion unfortunately will be gone from that office in a few weeks.

Not to mention intelligence, competence and sanity.

One of the many reasons why I'll miss President Obama is his now-legendary rapport with kids, as illustrated by this 2013 video with Robby Novak, aka "Kid President": 

President Obama & The Kid President

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 9

Plus, he has such a reputation as a "baby whisperer". I just love the way babies look at him (by comparison, the awkward way Trump holds infants and how they mainly start screaming around him always makes me laugh. Except that...it's kind of a metaphor for the nation in a few days. :(  ).

• Love 13

It takes President Obama to do practically nothing out of the ordinary to make me cry.  I'm going to miss him.

In today's paper ( for me the Minneapolis StarTribune ) there was a great story of how our sad sack NBA team the Timberwolves visited the White House this week, got a tour and met with President Obama.  The players and the coach were so impressed that the president knew them by name, where they went to school and gave the team some pointers ( he said, more defense! ).

They called him cool, said what a great job he had done as president and what a great opportunity the visit had been.

WAAA!  I suppose the major league teams with owners that are friends of fat ass will make them go to the WH because, otherwise, how many would?  It's a tradition after winning a title but, I can't imagine LeBron James or anyone of his ilk willingly going to be praised by fat ass.

• Love 6

A couple weeks ago I was re-reading Gilead by Marilynne Robinson for a bit of comfort. I happened to find online a 2-part interview in the NYT Book Review, I think, between Robinson and Obama. They are huge mutual fans. Apparently Obama loves Gilead and has said that the book's protagonist, an elderly pastor, is one of his favorite literary characters. It made me weep to read the interview - when will we have another leader who loves literature so deeply? And how come we never hear all these so-called Christians, who continue to call Obama  a secret Muslim, speaking so eloquently about their faith and how it connects to their belief in the American people? 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, PatsyandEddie said:

The Obamas will be deeply missed. 

I think the country is just beginning to realize how much.

If only the media for the past eight years had been inclined to show the erudite, compassionate, extremely intelligent, dignified man that they've been showing the last few weeks instead of the steady diet we got of Republican after Republican trashing him and everything he tried to do, the country might be in a different place right now. Maybe half the country wouldn't think Obamacare was a disaster, or that the economy is worse now than it was under Bush, if they were aware of the unprecedented obstruction from the Republicans and of what he got accomplished in spite of them, the past election would have looked a lot different. Hillary's promises to continue his policies would have been cheered instead maligned.

• Love 12