Type keyword(s) to search

Barack Hussein Obama II: 44th President of The United States

Gentleman and Scholar, The first African-American President of The United States, and the first President born in the new state of Hawaii.  Living in Illinois, I voted for him twice before he ran for President, in the Primary and General Election for The United States Senate.    He won a majority in all but 10 ten counties out of 102.  An impressive public speaker who came to national attention with his keynote address at the Democratic National Convention in 2004, he was running for POTUS in the next election against a background of economic disaster, war and international disgrace.  He defeated John McCain and came to The White House with his brilliant wife Michelle, and their two daughters, Malia Ann, and Natasha (Sasha).  He will be leaving there in January, but remaining in the Washington area until Sasha completes her schooling there.  I am hoping he will be appointed to The United States Supreme Court by his successor.

• Love 14

I wonder what he and Michelle will do after he's out of office.  Obviously take some time off and relax at first, I'm sure.  But both are still relatively very young.  Lots of time left.  Lots of speeches, surely.  Some have suggested Barak for the Supreme Court, which would be awesome, imo.  Some have suggested Michelle herself may one day run for president.  I think she needs some personal elected political experience first, like Hillary did, if she's interested.  

• Love 7
(edited)
17 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

I wonder what he and Michelle will do after he's out of office.

I hope that President Obama will take a long nap after all the nonsense that he's had to put up with for the last eight years, and then take a  temporary position as a visiting professor at Georgetown or Howard until HRC appoints him to the SCOTUS.  Ruth Bader Ginsburg may be waiting for a good replacement to retire.  I hope that he will eventually be appointed as Chief Justice if that position becomes available. 

Michelle could do literally anything, but I expect her to continue to advocate for children's health issues.  I don't think she ever wanted to be in politics, but now that she's used to it, she could run for the Senate eventually if Dick Durbin wants to retire.  He's 71.  Before Barack Obama, came Carol Moseley-Braun, the first and only female African-American Senator in US History.

I already voted for Tammy Duckworth for the US Senate this year. 

Edited by atomationage
  • Love 5

I would SO love to see Barack on the Supreme Court, but I don't know if he'd want it. I think he'd want to remain in the public eye and still be able to reach people through communication and speeches and everything.

But I really do think he'd be a terrific justice. He has all the qualities that make for great justices, and I personally love the idea that he'd be the first former president to sit on the Supreme Court since William Howard Taft.

I hope he may consider it, but it's probably a pipe dream.

• Love 12

I'm going to miss Obama so much. I can't stand everyone who says he's been a terrible president. He had to clean up a huge 8 year mess, what else would you like him to do?

Worst President of my lifetime.  Accomplished nothing. 

Divided the races for political gain.

Socialized medicine(which doesn't work)

21 trillion debt.

Let's potential terrorists in our country...

I'll be so glad when he's gone....and perish the thought of him ever being on the SC. 

• Love 1

A few of his accomplishments from Washington Monthly:

Repealed “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”: Ended 1990s-era restriction and formalized new policy allowing gays and lesbians to serve openly in the military for the first time.

From 2008 to 2011, favorable opinion toward the United States rose in ten of fifteen countries surveyed by the Pew Global Attitudes Project, with an average increase of 26 percent.

With so many soldiers coming home from Iraq and Iran with serious physical and mental health problems, yet facing long waits for services, increased 2010 Department of Veterans Affairs budget by 16 percent and 2011 budget by 10 percent. Also signed new GI bill offering $78 billion in tuition assistance over a decade, and provided multiple tax credits to encourage businesses to hire veterans.

Signed Hate Crimes Prevention Act (2009), which expands existing hate crime protections to include crimes based on a victim’s sexual orientation, gender, or disability, in addition to race, color, religion, or national origin.

"However, it's a little misleading to hold Obama (or any other President) accountable for the deficit incurred during his first year of office.

That's because the federal budget for that fiscal year was already set by the prior Administration. President Bush's last budget (FY 2009) created a deficit of $1.16 trillion after subtracting the spending on the Economic Stimulus Act. Most of this addition to the debt occurred after the new President took office, and so should not be attributed to Obama." (The Balance, 2016)

He was the first president I was able to vote for so that will always be a memory. When I was younger and it was Bush/Gore I was desperately hoping for a Gore win and was crying because he didn't get it and Bush rigged the election lol

Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter were about the same age at the end of his term as the Obamas will be in 2017.  Jimmy had a terrible Presidency that lasted only four years, but he went on to become the best ex-President we've ever had, becoming deeply involved with Habitat for Humanity and worldwide election oversight.  That he's lived into his 90s has extended his legacy.

I see much the same coming for the Obamas.  And, honestly, becoming a SCJ would not be nearly as taxing as what he's had to deal with for the last eight years.  He was a Constitutional law professor prior to getting into politics.  He's certainly more than qualified for the role, although he hasn't served as a judge - which I'm not entirely sure is a requirement for the job.

• Love 14

Serving as a judge isn't a requirement. Elena Kagan was Obama's solicitor general. I can only imagine the attention these particular Senate hearings would get if Obama was nominated to the Court at some point, lol. That would be kind of exciting.

• Love 7

I'll join in & say YES to Pres. Obama being named to the Supreme Court!  And YES, he has been a terrific President(good Role Model for children, to answer that lady's question at the Debate the other night),  My opinion is that History will look back and put him in the Top Tier of Presidents, along with names like Washington, Jefferson, Roosevelt(both TR & FDR)

• Love 9

Having Obama named to the Supreme Court would be an immense waste of his talent. Obama is going to follow in a path similar to Jimmy Carter IMO. Unlike Bill Clinton, he'll concentrate on doing good without pad his personal finances and palling around with celebrities. Jimmy Carter is really old and we need someone else who can step up and solve world problems that aren't considered cool or hip like eliminating the Guinea worm, etc. 

Obama is the best president of my lifetime and that goes back to Jimmy Carter at least and I say there is a great argument for him being the best president since LBJ. He's gotten so little credit for how he's gotten more done than any president since LBJ with very little support from his party and an opposition party who never compromises. Hillary is going to be such a disappointment after Obama. He ran a squeaky clean WH and behaved with class and respect towards all. He is someone that kids can look up to and respect.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, heatherrrrz said:

I'm going to miss Obama so much. I can't stand everyone who says he's been a terrible president. He had to clean up a huge 8 year mess, what else would you like him to do?

He cleaned up 16 year mess. He actually had to fix a lot of Bill's messes - Getting OBL, DADT, DOMA, fixing mandatory minimums, repairing some financial regulations that Bill removed, etc. The tech bubble hid a lot of Bill's terrible policies. While the slow recovery, hid some of Obama's greatest accomplishments.

• Love 4

In terms of the nastiness of this election - I will miss Obama's even keel.  I voted for him twice, and I was really hoping for significant change  - a righting of the course from the last administration.

But for me - he pretty much he stayed the course.  I am always a cup half empty - so my major issues:

1.  None of the major wall street players were prosecuted for the 2008  financial collapse.  The republicans would never have agreed to financial reform (or to a functioning government), but the Department of Justice was in his wheel house.

2.  NSA surveillance of everyone.  I was not keen to realize the US Government considered me a terrorist just because I breathed air and used the internet.  You would think that as a former Constitution professor - Obama would be acquainted with the 4th Amendment.

3.    Terror Tuesdays - the day when Obama met with his national security team to decide who next to target for death.  I am sure people around the world are completely cool with this and would never think of striking back at the US in retaliation.                                     

4.  Drone strikes?? - Where in the Constitution is this covered exactly?  When did  we declare war on Yemen? 

5.  War on Libya - Obama did to Libya what George Bush did to Iraq - destabilized the country and left it open to Isis.  How many tens of thousands have died as a result?  Granted Obama does see this as his biggest mistake.  Well I guess that makes everything better.

I will weep if he goes - especially if Trump is elected (He did keep us out of war with Iran - even though the war drums were beating very loudly - I doubt Hillary a/k/a Kissinger's friend will use such restraint) - civility will have left the building.

Your opinions may vary. 

Edited by Macbeth
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, Macbeth said:

1.  None of the major wall street players were prosecuted for the 2008  financial collapse. 

I wish they would prosecute this Stumpf guy at Wells Fargo.  Instead, he'll probably get a platinum parachute.  

I was also critical of much of what was done internationally during the past 8 years.   I think when a President assumes office, the military gets to advise him first, and other calmer voices are shoved to the side, while they show him all the toys that they have to play with.  My only consolation is that it would have been even worse with anyone other than President Obama. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Jordan27 said:

Socialized medicine(which doesn't work)

I know I've been busy binge watching a bunch of streaming shows, so maybe I missed this? When did we get socialized health care in the U.S.?

First president I voted for in my first presidential election in 2012. I wouldn't have health insurance if it weren't for Obamacare. He could have been tougher, but I admire him and Michelle for how they handled all the nastiness thrown at them.

• Love 14

I feel like we need to import the slideshow from Black-is to the thread. The Obamas have been an amazing first family. Little Bean came home from 3rd grade concerned about the election because, "Everyone has been so mean but President Obama has been nice to people." That's a great example there. 4 more years! 

Edited by Bean421
  • Love 12

I will forever rage over the fact that the same group of morons who wanted him impeached for being "un-American" are the same group that are marching around Donald Trump rallies cheering when he invites foreign powers to engage in cyber warfare with us. I would laugh at the irony if the stupidity didn't feel me with so much rage.

• Love 21

Ok, watching Michelle Obama's speech today about Donald's sexual assault tape makes me wish she'd be the first female president. Man, I just love everything about her. She rivals her husband for being a great speaker. She's down to earth and has made real change as FLOTUS. I just respect the hell out of her.

• Love 12

Amen.  Michelle's brilliant.  What a powerful speech.   She's put into words what exactly needed to be said in response to the misogyny.  She has great personal appeal and a very heartfelt way of communicating with people as a speaker.  I wish she'd run for office but I don't think she's into politics, and there are other ways to effect social change and no doubt her efforts on those fronts will continue after Obama leaves office.  She can do so much, she can do anything. 

• Love 17

Watching her speech in New Hampshire, the thought occurred to me that she could run for mayor of Chicago if they come back here.  It would probably be a come down though, but she could probably do very well, and the city certainly needs someone like her.  Rahm Emmanuel is getting more and more unpopular. 

When I first started this thread, I was wondering if I should start a separate thread for Michelle.  Maybe later. 

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, atomationage said:

Watching her speech in New Hampshire, the thought occurred to me that she could run for mayor of Chicago if they come back here.  It would probably be a come down though, but she could probably do very well, and the city certainly needs someone like her.  Rahm Emmanuel is getting more and more unpopular. 

When I first started this thread, I was wondering if I should start a separate thread for Michelle.  Maybe later. 

You could change it to the Barack and Michelle Obama thread.

• Love 4

I would love to see Michelle go into politics, but I don't know if she wants it. Maybe, but I'd hate to see her subject to the onslaught of attacks that all women are subjected to. I know it would happen and that would be so depressing to see.

• Love 6

I LOVE open mic night Obama. I love that he gives two shits what any of these asses think now. You want honest 'merica? Obama gonna lay it down for you.

And Michelle? She's going to bring it home.

Please don't leave us Michelle and Obama, you're are only hope.

• Love 16
On 10/12/2016 at 1:34 PM, atomationage said:

I hope that President Obama will take a long nap after all the nonsense that he's had to put up with for the last eight years, and then take a  temporary position as a visiting professor at Georgetown or Howard until HRC appoints him to the SCOTUS.  Ruth Bader Ginsburg may be waiting for a good replacement to retire.  I hope that he will eventually be appointed as Chief Justice if that position becomes available. 

Michelle could do literally anything, but I expect her to continue to advocate for children's health issues.  I don't think she ever wanted to be in politics, but now that she's used to it, she could run for the Senate eventually if Dick Durbin wants to retire.  He's 71.  Before Barack Obama, came Carol Moseley-Braun, the first and only female African-American Senator in US History.

I already voted for Tammy Duckworth for the US Senate this year. 

It's a wonder that I never met Obama or my Mother never met. My Mom worked for Acorn, and some of the same organizations that Obama did some of his "community organizing" for. I also worked for the Carol Moseley-Braun campaign during her first and second campaigns. I voted for Obama every time that his name has appeared on the ballot (except for that time that I voted for Bobby Rush), and proudly cast my vote for him against that outsider that the Republicans shipped in to run against him during his senate run. I don't know what he will do once he leaves office, but I really hope that he becomes a supreme court justice. I would LOVE for Michelle to run for the senate, I think that she would make a wonderful senator. The Obama are still registered to vote in Illinois, although I hear that they plan to stay in D.C. so that the kids can finish school. I think that as you said, Michelle can take Durbin's seat, and I would happily campaign for her in my little bitty part of Southern Illinois, which happens to be very conservative. It's not that conservative, there aren't nearly as much Trump aka yard signs as there were Romney signs. Even in Kentucky, which is only 3 minutes away, and is very conservative, and his base (confederate flags everywhere, Southern Pride Plaza or Confederate Pride Plaza, with a huge confederate flag waving not even 20 minutes away) and I still have only seen 3 at the most Trump signs. I digress, I think that Michelle can win in 2, 4, or 6 years if Durbin decides to retire. I'm just happy that Mark Kirk is out of there. I have a soft spot for Lindsay Graham (please, don't judge me) and he said something about Lindsay Graham....and he also beat Alexi Giannoulias. I still haven't gotten over that. 

I really, really, really hate when people attack the ACA. I used up the amount of days that my insurance allowed for hospitalization by the time I was 33. If it wasn't for the ACA, any illness that required hospitalization, my insurance didn't have to cover. My insurance also didn't cover childbirth. Since then, I have been hospitalized for around 25 days, including giving birth. None of those days would've been covered without the ACA. I would like to hope that the hospital wouldn't have sent me home if I really needed it, but you just never know. That all changed thanks to the ACA. My Mother was dying when the ACA became law. Because of the ACA, her insurance company had to continue to provide coverage for her at the end of her life. 

I know people who are fighting cancer and wouldn't have any health insurance without the ACA. Is it perfect no, Can we modify it yes, should we just get rid of it, NO!

Edited by Queena
  • Love 19
(edited)
18 minutes ago, Queena said:

I also worked for the Carol Moseley-Braun campaign during her first and second campaigns. I voted for Obama every time that his name has appeared on the ballot (except for that time that I voted for Bobby Rush), and proudly cast my vote for him against that outsider that the Republicans shipped in to run against him during his senate run.

One of HRC's biggest regrets was that she didn't do more for Carol Moseley-Braun in 1998, but President Obama eventually got that Senate seat 6 years later.  Wiki, Carol M-B:

In 1991, angered by incumbent Democratic senator Alan Dixon's vote to confirm Clarence Thomas, Moseley Braun challenged him in the primary election.

In the USHOR primary against Bobby Rush, the Clintons supported Rush against Obama, who was considered too Hyde Park-elitist back then.  Even when he began running for POTUS,  Barack Obama wasn't as well know as Bobby Rush.  

Edited by atomationage
rush
  • Love 1

I think the Obamas could do just as much good if after they leave the WH they stay out of politics but remain community/cause oriented.

It would put them in something other than constant defensive positions.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, atomationage said:

One of HRC's biggest regrets was that she didn't do more for Carol Moseley-Braun in 1998, but President Obama eventually got that Senate seat 6 years later.  Wiki, Carol M-B:

In the USHOR primary against Bobby Rush, the Clintons supported him against Obama, who was considered too Hyde Park-elitist back then.  Even when he began running for POTUS,  Barack Obama wasn't as well know as Bobby Rush.  

I didn't know that. I wasn't of voting age in 91. That's funny to me, too Hyde Park?? I grew up in Hyde Park, and while some of it was posh, not all of it. I got into politics via a project at school. During the '88 election cycle we had to pick a candidate, I think... I don't even remember how I came to work for Dukakis. I just knew that I didn't like Regan nor his politics. I couldn't understand how someone who was born on the same day as me, could have such little compassion for their fellow man. I remember the homeless problem of the 80's. I was living in Hyde Park, right down for U of C, and I surely don't think that I was an elitist. I guess because Bobby Rush had street cred (he was a Black Panther) he was a more authentic Black.....we come in all flavors and sometimes we can more than flavor at a time :)

• Love 2

@Queena,  in his early days, Barack Obama came to the attention of the Pritzkers, Newton Minnow, and others, who thought he was amazing, and encouraged him a great deal.  When he ran against Rush, they were used against him, not without a certain amount of anti-semitism.  (I knew someone who went to Senn High School with one of the Pritzkers after he was thrown out of a boarding school.  She said he was a complete asshole.)   The Chicago Reader archive probably has articles on that USHOR race.

The consulting group in Evanston that Dukakis used, I can't remember the name of it for the life of me,  was also used by Obama.  I thought that was a mistake, because of their previous failures.  They were a very specific group of people, maybe Paul Begala was part of it.    Eventually Obama connected up with David Axelrod, who was working for one of his opponents in the Senate primary, Blair Hull, but switched to the side he knew could win. 

Axelrod wasn't exactly squeaky clean, but he had a lot of contacts in the newspaper business and got things done.   One of the things that he may have gotten done was the scandal that caused Jack Ryan to drop out after Jeri Ryan (Seven of Nine) came out with some revelations about their sex life.   That was how Alan Keyes ended up being the candidate that Obama could beat easily.  Axelrod may have had something to do with Blair Hull's fate also, since his ex-wife ended up accusing him of abuse.  It didn't help that a dead body was found in the garage of a home that Hull owned but didn't live in.  Welcome to Chicago!

There was a very good book written about everything that happened behind the scenes at the time.  I can't remember the name of it now.  I'll look it up later.  People from elsewhere actually got mad at some of the things that were in it, but the guy who wrote it was an Obama supporter, not an enemy, and it was mostly about the way things get done in Chicago.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, atomationage said:

One of the things that he may have gotten done was the scandal that caused Jack Ryan to drop out after Jeri Ryan (Seven of Nine) came out with some revelations about their sex life.

I don't remember Jeri "coming out" with the information so much as the transcripts of their divorce proceedings being leaked.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, atomationage said:

@Queena,  in his early days, Barack Obama came to the attention of the Pritzkers, Newton Minnow, and others, who thought he was amazing, and encouraged him a great deal.  When he ran against Rush, they were used against him, not without a certain amount of anti-semitism.  (I knew someone who went to Senn High School with one of the Pritzkers after he was thrown out of a boarding school.  She said he was a complete asshole.)   The Chicago Reader archive probably has articles on that USHOR race.

The consulting group in Evanston that Dukakis used, I can't remember the name of it for the life of me,  was also used by Obama.  I thought that was a mistake, because of their previous failures.  They were a very specific group of people, maybe Paul Begala was part of it.    Eventually Obama connected up with David Axelrod, who was working for one of his opponents in the Senate primary, Blair Hull, but switched to the side he knew could win. 

Axelrod wasn't exactly squeaky clean, but he had a lot of contacts in the newspaper business and got things done.   One of the things that he may have gotten done was the scandal that caused Jack Ryan to drop out after Jeri Ryan (Seven of Nine) came out with some revelations about their sex life.   That was how Alan Keyes ended up being the candidate that Obama could beat easily.  Axelrod may have had something to do with Blair Hull's fate also, since his ex-wife ended up accusing him of abuse.  It didn't help that a dead body was found in the garage of a home that Hull owned but didn't live in.  Welcome to Chicago!

There was a very good book written about everything that happened behind the scenes at the time.  I can't remember the name of it now.  I'll look it up later.  People from elsewhere actually got mad at some of the things that were in it, but the guy who wrote it was an Obama supporter, not an enemy, and it was mostly about the way things get done in Chicago.

This! I remember everything except for Hull, I don't remember him. I also remember that the details of the divorce were somehow leaked to the Suntimes I think. I would love to know the name of that book. I remember Alan Keyes moving to the South Suburbs. Where is Ole Alan Keyes these days? He's proof that not all Black republicans are batshit crazy like Carson. Gotta love Chicago. I miss it, but then again, I don't. I know that it's a demotion, but Obama would make a great mayor. It's a demotion, but there has only been 1 Black elected mayor of Chicago. It's hard to believe that in all of my memory, and I'm 41, there has only been 2mayor other than the current mayor. Daley was mayor for a very long time, and I used to be such a fan of Rahm. He messed the city up, starting with the Taste. 

Edited by Queena
  • Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 4:41 PM, heatherrrrz said:

A few of his accomplishments from Washington Monthly:

Repealed “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”: Ended 1990s-era restriction and formalized new policy allowing gays and lesbians to serve openly in the military for the first time.

From 2008 to 2011, favorable opinion toward the United States rose in ten of fifteen countries surveyed by the Pew Global Attitudes Project, with an average increase of 26 percent.

With so many soldiers coming home from Iraq and Iran with serious physical and mental health problems, yet facing long waits for services, increased 2010 Department of Veterans Affairs budget by 16 percent and 2011 budget by 10 percent. Also signed new GI bill offering $78 billion in tuition assistance over a decade, and provided multiple tax credits to encourage businesses to hire veterans.

Signed Hate Crimes Prevention Act (2009), which expands existing hate crime protections to include crimes based on a victim’s sexual orientation, gender, or disability, in addition to race, color, religion, or national origin.

"However, it's a little misleading to hold Obama (or any other President) accountable for the deficit incurred during his first year of office.

That's because the federal budget for that fiscal year was already set by the prior Administration. President Bush's last budget (FY 2009) created a deficit of $1.16 trillion after subtracting the spending on the Economic Stimulus Act. Most of this addition to the debt occurred after the new President took office, and so should not be attributed to Obama." (The Balance, 2016)

That's some sad accomplishments.  And I didn't mention the deficit.  I mentioned the debt.

When you have to mention that some countries may have liked us more, you have a failure as President.

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 4:49 PM, heatherrrrz said:

He was the first president I was able to vote for so that will always be a memory. When I was younger and it was Bush/Gore I was desperately hoping for a Gore win and was crying because he didn't get it and Bush rigged the election lol

Rigged the election?  Another goodie out of the liberal playbook.  Tell us how he did that.

Not quite sure how Pres. Obama "divided the races for political gain."  If by having policies that that attracted the votes of minority Americans when the Republicans did not, then OK, I guess the races were divided to his benefit. 

Well, let me help you out on that. 

On Ferguson and all these racial situations he always spoke up and immediately thought the worst of the white cops.  Of course, we know in Ferguson the cop was in the right and this happened in other situations.  He never apologized nor tried to temper the riots and disinformation that went on.  And why?  Because liberals need to keep that issue of racism alive to make sure they get the black vote in this election.  Dividing the races for political gain.   And by the way, Hillary did it too.

And the policies of Obama don't attract blacks.  Blacks are mostly liberal in this country.  It's like saying how come Obama can't attract the votes of the people of Idaho.  Well, because it's a very conservative state.

9 minutes ago, Queena said:

This! I remember everything except for Hull, I don't remember him. I also remember that the details of the divorce were somehow leaked to the Suntimes I think. I would love to know the name of that book. I remember Alan Keyes moving to the South Suburbs. Where is Ole Alan Keyes these days? He's proof that not all Black republicans are batshit crazy like Carson. Gotta love Chicago. I miss it, but then again, I don't. I know that it's a demotion, but Obama would make a great mayor. It's a demotion, but there has only been 1 Black elected mayor of Chicago. It's hard to believe that in all of my memory, and I'm 41, there has only been 2mayor other than the current mayor. Daley was mayor for a very long time, and I used to be such a fan of Rahm. He messed the city up, starting with the Taste. 

Weeelll, I don't know about that.  I mean, he sued in California because he wanted Obama to provide proof he was a citizen, and then argued Obama wasn't "constitutionally inaugurated", called him a communist, and said his birth certificate was fake.  I also remember the "Jesus Christ wouldn't vote for Obama" soundbite that they played ad nauseum during the 2004 senate race.  

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, starri said:

I don't remember Jeri "coming out" with the information so much as the transcripts of their divorce proceedings being leaked.

You're right.  Thank you.  It was so long ago.   The odd thing was that allegations came out in the newspaper about both Obama's opponent in the primary and the general election.  Sealed court documents were published in Jeri's case, and Brenda Sexton, Blair Hull's wife, and a writer, came out with her details.  It looked to me and others that Axelrod was behind all that,

Axelrod, wiki:

As an undergraduate, Axelrod wrote for the Hyde Park Herald, covering politics, and earned an internship at the Chicago Tribune...

The Chicago Tribune hired Axelrod after his graduation from college. At 27, he became the City Hall Bureau Chief and a political columnist for the paper. He worked there for eight years, covering national, state and local politics, becoming their youngest political writer in 1981. Unhappy with his prospects at the Tribune, he joined the campaign of U.S. Senator Paul Simon as communications director in 1984. Within weeks he was promoted to co-campaign manager.

In 1985, Axelrod formed the political consultancy firm, Axelrod & Associates. In 1987 he worked on the successful reelection campaign of Harold Washington, Chicago's first black mayor, while spearheading Simon's campaign for the 1988 Democratic Presidential nomination. This established his experience in working with black politicians; he later became a key player in similar mayoral campaigns of black candidates......

Axelrod first met Obama in 1992, when Betty Lou Saltzmann, a Chicago democrat, introduced the two of them after Obama had impressed her at a black voter registration drive that he ran.

I'm going to have to go back into the archives of a political forum to find out what was going on back then.  I tried to do it with google searches, but didn't get very far.

Here is the link to the consulting firm that both Dukakis and Obama used, you'll like this page;

http://strategygroup.com/skrollr/index.php

@Queena, the book that I was referring to is by David Mendell, Obama: From Promise to Power, (2007)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obama:_From_Promise_to_Power

wiki

In February 2008, Mendell received an NAACP Image Awards for Outstanding Literary Work in the Biography/Autobiography category for the book

and a great picture of Barack Obama as a kid with his grandfather on the beach:

o-BARACK-OBAMA-GRANDFATHER-facebook.jpg

Edited by atomationage
more links
  • Love 3
On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:01 PM, Giant Misfit said:

I know I've been busy binge watching a bunch of streaming shows, so maybe I missed this? When did we get socialized health care in the U.S.?

It's called Obamacare which is on the way.  A disaster so far, typical liberal policies.

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 4:48 PM, mojoween said:

Even though I was born ten years after he died, JFK was always my favorite president followed by Clinton.  However, I love Obama more than the two of them put together.

I love him I love his family I love how much he loves sports I love all of it.

I don't have all these political stats and facts, I only have what I feel.

He is smarter than his predecessor.  Which matters even if my cat is also smarter than his predecessor.

He is witty.

Gas is cheaper now.

He didn't lie to get us into a war his daddy couldn't finish.

His VP is not a terrifying warmonger who shoots his friends in the face.

While he did change his mind from what he had said as a senator, marriage equality hit the SC docket in his term and he agreed to put rainbow lights on the White House.

He was graceful in the face of near constant opposition from the Republican Party who would disagree with him if he said water was wet.

For the past year I have lamented that we can't get an emergency amendment through allowing him a third term.  

I would vote for that man for anything he ever decided to run for.

Obama was the smarmiest, most arrogant community organizer President of my lifetime.  He has contempt for those who disagree with him and never had any intention of ever working with Republicans.  Of course, compromise with liberals is agreeing with them.

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 9:23 PM, Calvada said:

Barack Obama has been a gentleman as president, in the best sense of that word.  His repeated attempts to reach across the aisle, to find mutual agreement on the issues confronting our nation, have been met with contempt and vile personal attacks.  It is my belief that the majority of Americans want our politicians to work together and treat each other with respect.  I believe that Pres. Obama's efforts to do so was one of the factors in his re-election, and if the Constitution (and Michelle Obama!) permitted it, I think he would easily win a third term.

I don't think so.  American is tired of Obama.  He did win, but barely beat Romney,  1% of total vote in key states.

He has been a failure and hasn't accomplished anything, but made matters worse.  21 trillion.  I notice no one wants to comment on that.  How much more debt do you want?