Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Sewer Gate

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I cannot imagine the thought process that goes into allowing the filming of this.

Inmate: "There's shit floating in here!"

Guard: Kanye shrug

Why wouldn't   inmates sue the shit out of them and use the tape for evidence?  Just doesn't seem smart.

• Love 4

#Sewergate!

Wow!  I don't think that could have been handled any worse if they tried really really hard.  Maples does realize the fakemates are grading him on how this is being handled and my God is he getting an all around F.  There really should have already been a procedure in place for something like a pipe bursting or sewage leaking because well....shit happens!

Serious Sherrif idiot finding them water might actually calm tensions a whole lot but you can't even do that.  Plus allowing the guards to drink in front of the inmates is extremely douchy.....and dangerous.  I'm about ready to riot.

Damn Maples!  

• Love 22

There is no leadership running this jail.  If there was no access to safe drinking water, it was the Sheriff's responsibility to make arrangements for water to be delivered.  People have drinking water delivered to their homes all the time.  Local grocery stores have entire aisles with nothing but bottles of water!  No one in that brain trust thought to get any?  There is no reason for inmates going for over 30 hours without a adequate  access to water.  Simply providing this basic human need would have gone a LONG way in deescalating the tension.  The CO's are very unprofessional in this facility.  If I were a citizen of that county I would be insisting that the Corrections Dept. be investigated and the "leadership" and most of the staff be replaced.  It is a MAJOR lawsuit waiting to happen.

• Love 15

Forgive me.  I absolutely hate cleaning but what is the point of people using mops to clean up the raw sewage?  Isn't that just spreading bacteria and disease around instead of taking care of the problem?  How can that be sanitary or proper cleaning?  Granted I don't know what the proper solution would be, but gross!

• Love 4

Is it THAT HARD to drive to Costco and buy several pallets of bottled water?! Or get the big jugs with rental dispensers from one of the many, many vendors who supply office buildings? Are they THAT clueless in (whatever state this is)? Surely they can do that without a concern for the cost, considering this is an emergency! I just cannot understand their cluelessness. The same thing with turning the heat on in the rec room -- turn it on!! At the very least, pass out extra blankets. While it's true some of the inmates are serving sentences, some are awaiting trial, and even if they were also guilty, it's common decency to give prisoners something as basic as WATER. Heck, they could have rolled in Porta-Potties, too -- I bet there's a vendor of those not too far away!

This pretty much infuriated me. I have no experience of jail, but no one deserves such treatment. The man who was sick needed to be seen by a medical professional -- pretty sure an aspirin wouldn't be enough. And if he got stomach flu, where'd he get it? That will go around like wildfire. These fat, rude guards make that sheriff look terrible. I wanted to punch the bitch chewing the gum.

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 15

Horrible.  Horrible.  Horrible.

I wish someone had thought to use their phone time to call the television stations in Indianapolis.  I am quite sure the media would want to hear about those appalling conditions.  Something tells me that media interest might get the whole lot of them off of their fat asses to get those men some water and to get the shit water cleaned up properly.

Horrible.

• Love 4

The Sheriff's goal was to expose the going ons between the inmates in his jail.  What is being exposed instead is the incompetence of the Sheriff and his staff.  What I can't figure out is if the Sheriff wanted to do this series in order to get more taxpayer money to improve the facility and staff....or...is just SO INCOMPETENT that he was totally unaware of how out of control his jail is.  The staff is either highly untrained or burned out by the stress of their job. The staff was clearly not trained in de escalating tactics.  During the sewer crisis there did not seem to be any leadership, otherwise something as basic as getting the inmates water would have been handled within the first few hours.  Someone should have turned the heat on in the Rec Room.  The sheriff has no excuses.

Edited by movingtargetgal
  • Love 15

I get that various systems, whether its prison, hospitals, etc cannot buy anything without a purchase order, someone should have reached in their pocket and paid for several cases of water for those folks. that was unacceptable, and the co's-the gum smacking one, the fat one who drank sprites in front of them, ugh the whole lot, it made me want to go all hunger games on them and throw them in there!!:)

and sherrif maples---to be on 60 days insider and try to explain this away--I know they must have paid you a ton of money because this is completely unacceptable and embarrassing!!

• Love 5

There are always ways for a good administrator to backtrack paperwork especially emergency paperwork.  Maples could have gone to any warehouse superstore and bargained for a couple hundred bottled waters and then afterwards claimed whatever receipt he had.  I doubt they would have been denied and even if they were he would have gotten recognition inside the prison and prisons run on that good and bad.  Right now he has bad.....real bad.  

And it's going to come back to haunt him when he has to talk with the fakemates.  I don't think any of them think particularly high of him at this point.

• Love 11
9 hours ago, suedehead said:

I'm 52 and was locked up a few times in my 20's because if DUI's. College degree, good job, good family, just stupid. This show brings back memories of those times. These guards act the same as those I dealt with. They treat inmates as subhuman and don't give a damn if someone is sick or if there are problems brewing that could turn violent  That officer drinking in front of the inmates, the blond with the attitude about the toilet situation and that gum smacking bitch doing as little as possible for an inmate that may be seriously ill are a perfect examples of how these people act  I know they deal will a lot of bullshit, but most of them are on power trips and are grossly under qualified for these jobs

You are totally right.  The show that comes on after this one is real eye opening because you see people who have no business being CO's going into that career.  I think the issue is that in some areas the CO job is the best one around, it's a government job with benefits; maybe in some areas it's either that job or some minimum wage job that pays nothing and has no benefits.  The problem I see is that many of these CO's really should not be working with human beings, they probably would have been happy working in some manufacturing job; but unfortunately, those jobs are no longer plentiful in the US anymore. 

I think most of these CO's have these jobs for the same reason most people have jobs, pay, benefits and pension.

• Love 6

Quit banging on the door!

Yeah, that banging must have been a real inconvenience, you goddamn motherfucking bitch. You are paid to be there. Far too much. The CO unions protect these morons, so it's not easy to get one of these sociopathic psych test flunkies out and they know it. 60 Minutes did an infuriating piece on the NYC piece of garbage CO union boss not long ago. It's a cliche, but the system really is broken.

And of course they could've gotten the inmates water through any variety of means, if only to diminish the building rage. The only reason they didn't is that they just don't give a fuck. What else could it be?! All those basic human rights can wait til their union maintenance man staggers back to his post and the correct forms get filed. That's what they care about. Covering their ass. Any "changes" to this jail will require those running it not to be completely self-interested in their pension and benefits, and that's why this is all worthless and nothing will change here.

Im certain Sheriff's Tweedledee and Tweedledum will plead poverty at the reunion. Actual self-evaluation is hopeless, as they didn't need to send a new mother and Barbra into this hell to find out they're running it like a clown car with no wheels.

I was in jail in downtown NYC not long after 9/11. It terrifies me to think of those people who happened to be rounded up smoking a joint that morning and found themselves at the mercy of some dope.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

You are totally right.  The show that comes on after this one is real eye opening because you see people who have no business being CO's going into that career.  I think the issue is that in some areas the CO job is the best one around, it's a government job with benefits; maybe in some areas it's either that job or some minimum wage job that pays nothing and has no benefits.  The problem I see is that many of these CO's really should not be working with human beings, they probably would have been happy working in some manufacturing job; but unfortunately, those jobs are no longer plentiful in the US anymore. 

I think most of these CO's have these jobs for the same reason most people have jobs, pay, benefits and pension.

I watch the one after this as well and a lot of the COs do look like they go in with geniunly good motives they are just way out of their league.  Of course there are those who come off as first class bullies. 

My guess is you are right.  A lot of these people don't really have too many options.  Working in the prison is probably the highest paying job in the area.  It's either that or working min wage somewhere without insurance.  

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, NoirDetective said:

I was in jail in downtown NYC not long after 9/11. It terrifies me to think of those people who happened to be rounded up smoking a joint that morning and found themselves at the mercy of some dope.

You're right about that.  Now, I DO believe in unions because I know what it's like to work with one and without one, and with one is a thousand times better, so I don't like the union bashing.  I think the issue with this place is just that these CO's and officials just don't give a shit about the inmates.  They don't see them as human beings.  I mean someone could have driven to Walmart, bought water for the inmates if only to ease the tension.  But, the CO's really don't care, they feel that these people deserve what they're getting because they have broken the law, even if they are innocent.

Quintin is interesting though.  He is a retired police officer and he's angry at the CO's attitudes.  I can't wait for the reunion.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 10

I want to step away from the shit storm for a second because that was damn gross.

Question:  What in the hell is wrong with Sheri?  Didn't she tell us she was a CO?  A CO where? Girl Scout camp?  How is it her apprx 200 pound ass is sitting on a bunk like blubbering idiot terrified that some 115 pound (maybe) woman is going to beat her to death??  Bitch, bye! I didn't even see Mackenzie speak to Sheri, but somehow she just knew she was going to be murdered in her sleep.  Beat her ass if she comes anywhere near you.  But first make sure she's even thinking about your ass.

These women aren't doing anything but slapping at each other when they do actually fight so I could not understand Sheri's terror.  She should look for a job at the facility featured on Behind Bars.  She'd fit right in w all of the other terrified CO's that have no business in a jail.

• Love 9

I know I have already commented several times but I just find it hilarious how badly this is going to go down for Maples.  I mean really badly.  For one thing there is video proof of how incredibly incompetent he is.  Then there is the matter of the civilians in the middle off all this several of them on the brink of their own shitstorm.  I mean come on.  Dion is about ready to break.  Ryan wants to be Pod boss.  Ashley is about ready to start something and Sheri hasn't figured out you don't rat on someone when you are standing right next to them.  Honestly how is  Maples in charge of anything?

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Brooklynista said:

I want to step away from the shit storm for a second because that was damn gross.

Question:  What in the hell is wrong with Sheri?  Didn't she tell us she was a CO?  A CO where? Girl Scout camp?  How is it her apprx 200 pound ass is sitting on a bunk like blubbering idiot terrified that some 115 pound (maybe) woman is going to beat her to death??  Bitch, bye! I didn't even see Mackenzie speak to Sheri, but somehow she just knew she was going to be murdered in her sleep.  Beat her ass if she comes anywhere near you.  But first make sure she's even thinking about your ass.

Girl is looking rough.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

What I can't figure out is if the Sheriff wanted to do this series in order to get more taxpayer money to improve the facility and staff.

In the beginning that's what I was hoping, but if it were the case, it would hardly have been difficult for him to paint himself as someone who was doing the best he could, with plans to make improvements, and all the various ways more money could make it better.  "Unfortunately, our staffing levels were cut by 20% over the past __ years, and our inmate population has grown by ___%." etc etc etc. 

No excuse for the water situation.  First of all, the FIRST thing you do when sewers are backing up is SHUT OFF THE WATER.  (I realize that creates other issues, but raw sewage pretty much trumps everything in the short term priority of needs)  We were never told the timeline -- my guess is that this happened late at night or something, the physical plant people capable of a) comprehending the situation and b) taking steps to fix it were not available on site, and the person in charge did not stir him/herself to take it up the chain of commend to get immediate action, and just figured the day shift could deal with it.

Watching the last two weeks, I'm starting to think that the production staff purposely went soft on what they chose to film/air in the first season so that in the second they could catch the staff/authorities off guard, and capture what was really going on. Had this happened in the first season, I bet the camera crew would have been hustled out.  Or maybe they all really are dumb enough to not comprehend how completely unprofessional and incompetent they were coming off as. 

• Love 9
29 minutes ago, kassa said:

Or maybe they all really are dumb enough to not comprehend how completely unprofessional and incompetent they were coming off as. 

That gum smacking bitch (sorry/she seriously sucked) seemed to have no concern for anyone or anything.  So, it's either apathy or the above:  dumb enough.  And I'm going with mostly dumb.  With tons of apathy thrown in.

• Love 3

This entire episode was disturbing on so many levels, I don't even know where to begin.  I was so disgusted at several points that I almost turned it off.  There is no excuse whatsoever that the inmates were not given drinking water in some form or another, and then to top it off, the COs brilliantly stand around drinking soda and water in front of them.  Smooth move assholes!  

• Love 8
7 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

What I can't figure out is if the Sheriff wanted to do this series in order to get more taxpayer money to improve the facility and staff

1 hour ago, kassa said:

In the beginning that's what I was hoping, but if it were the case, it would hardly have been difficult for him to paint himself as someone who was doing the best he could, with plans to make improvements, and all the various ways more money could make it better.  "Unfortunately, our staffing levels were cut by 20% over the past __ years, and our inmate population has grown by ___%." etc etc etc. 

IIRC, that's exactly how things were presented prior to season 1.  Jamie Noel was presented as a newly elected sheriff who had promised to improve the jail in various ways.  But the dismissive attitude he and Deputy Scottie have towards any complaints of the inmates - real and faux - gives lie to that.  And they manage to turn constructive criticism they receive into slut-shaming.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, woodscommaelle said:

That gum smacking bitch (sorry/she seriously sucked) seemed to have no concern for anyone or anything.  So, it's either apathy or the above:  dumb enough.  And I'm going with mostly dumb.  With tons of apathy thrown in.

I agree.  I wonder though what do other people, not on this board, think of this show.  Do they think the jail is being run badly?  Do they think the CO's are awful and shouldn't be in those positions?  Or do they think, "so fucking what, these folks broke the law."  Someone here mentioned getting a DUI, well I've met folks who thinks that people who commit DUI's should be put under the jail.  I think the sad truth is that a good deal of the country really doesn't give a shit about prison inmates and that's why I really don't think much will change.

• Love 4

I'm in the minority here, it seems: I like Ryan. I didn't think it was posturing or posing when he was banging on the door for assistance or outraged at Jeremy's "treatment." Jeremy could have very easily died, had his appendix exploded. Hell, they didn't even know (or care to know) if it had. This leads me to wonder if Clark County has had inmates die while in their jail due to inhumane treatment. Walking around in excrement and being denied the very substance that is essential to human life almost had me believing that this whole thing was one of those psychological experiments they do to explore human dynamics and breaking points.

• Love 12

The crazy thing is, next time there's a prison/jail riot, I'm probably going to be a lot more sympathetic to the inmates than I otherwise would have been.  Thanks, Indiana Sheriff's Office people!

• Love 14
8 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

There are always ways for a good administrator to backtrack paperwork especially emergency paperwork.  Maples could have gone to any warehouse superstore and bargained for a couple hundred bottled waters and then afterwards claimed whatever receipt he had.  I doubt they would have been denied and even if they were he would have gotten recognition inside the prison and prisons run on that good and bad.  Right now he has bad.....real bad.  

Exactly.  Maples should have personally addressed each group of inmates to let them know what was being done about the plumbing.  He needed to let them know that he had purchased water and it was on it's way.  Let them know that the heat had been turned on but it might take a while for it to reach them and let them know he was trying to come up with some extra blankets.  Ask the inmates if they had any other concerns, at this point he would have been told about the sick inmate, who he could have pulled from the Rec room, brought to a nurse and kept in isolation.  Because you don't want hundreds of men exposed to the flu.  The sheriff needed to apologize and thank the inmates for cooperating during this crisis.  All of this would assure the inmates that they were respected and would be taken care of.  If Maples had done any of these basic things, tensions would have been a lot lower for both the inmates and the jail staff.

• Love 15
9 hours ago, Brooklynista said:

These women aren't doing anything but slapping at each other when they do actually fight so I could not understand Sheri's terror.  She should look for a job at the facility featured on Behind Bars.  She'd fit right in w all of the other terrified CO's that have no business in a jail.

sheri is scared of her own shadow and a snitch!! put your towel around your neck if you feel threatened, I am struggling to beleive she is  CO. remember, we have found out just about every single cast member has been on tv before, it turned out tami was a police officer for only a short while and was actually employed in loss prevention at a chain store... but I have to tell you-I would be scared too lol.

Edited by nlkm9
mistake
  • Love 1

I like Ryan. I am a medical professional, and I also thought Jeremy could have had appendicitis bc it's not common for stomach pain to be located only in the right lower quadrant. Couple that with the fact (verified by both Ryan and Quintin) that he was vomiting blood and had blood in his stool, that seemed like the correct diagnosis to me. I have never heard of anyone vomiting blood and having blood in their stool during a basic 24-hour stomach bug. Ryan was genuinely concerned, and if you've ever worked in trauma medicine, you would have been too. Jeremy's condition warranted an immediate trip to the nurse or infirmary. You don't dispense aspirin to a person with a stomach bug bc it tears the stomach up and causes more vomiting. At the very least, he should have been given an acid reducer to help assuage the burning sensation he likely had whilst vomiting blood, but I'd have given him Zofran. Most people don't realize that the nurses in these county jails are NOT RNs, but lowly CNAs and/or LPNs, who only have two-year Associate's Degrees. I wouldn't want my health to be put in their under-educated hands. Or that fat ass hillbilly CO who sashayed in there chomping on her gum.

And Sheri looks like an idiot in those pigtails. She looks like an old Natalie from Facts of Life.

• Love 16

Okay, so wimpy me again. This episode broke my heart. What made it so bad is because I felt like the only reason why they got the little bit they got (moved to different rooms, sick man checked out) is because the 60 days in cameras were there.

• Love 8

Hate being so superficial but WHAT IS UP with Sheri's hair?  I think I may have ranted about this before but those fucked up, ratty, lopsided ponytails.  Ummmm......  Sheri is too damned old to be wearing ponytails for one, and two, has this woman ever gazed into a mirror?  Brushed her hair?  She looks like a big demented, busted rag doll.  She has bed head times a thousand.  It's hard for me to take her seriously because she physically looks crazy.

• Love 7

@beesknees,  I was just going to ask the same thing. I'm sure she has access to some kind of comb or brush and the pigtails make her look insane. 

This episode really made me mad.  I was yelling at the TV "go to Costco and buy a few pallets of water you fucking idiots!!!  I know some might think that these people are criminals and deserve what they get but god damn water is  needed to sustain life, it's not like their TV broke.   The way they handled this was worse than the worst Keystone Cop.  What kind of large facility like that that houses so many people doesn't have a plan B for something like this?  Who doesn't have the common sense to go buy these people some damn water?

That gum smacking CO needs to be taken down a peg or ten. The way she timed the gum smack so the camera caught it made this peace loving hippie chick want to throat punch her so she choked on her gum.  Every single one of the COs they showed had a bad attitude.   When I was a teenager, every Sunday for four and a half years my mom, aunt and I would go visit my uncle in prison, he was sent to two different prisons before settling at San Quentin and most of the guards, Cos and other workers at the prisons all seemed so nice and they seemed to be there for the right reasons.  They need a few like that here.  I wonder if the difference between the Cos has to do with prison vs jail.   Sorry. I'm just rambling at this point. 

I wonder if the two idiots running this place have any say in what's aired.  If so, I can't imagine why they would approve this. This was the worst episode in terms of showing how bad things are there. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, kassa said:

What exactly is their plan for a fire? I can see the pods filling with smoke and the COs shrugging and saying "haven't got air for you, sorry."

But this happens only after the bubble-blowing and soda drinking. God these people are so very very incompetent.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

Exactly.  Maples should have personally addressed each group of inmates to let them know what was being done about the plumbing.  He needed to let them know that he had purchased water and it was on it's way.  Let them know that the heat had been turned on but it might take a while for it to reach them and let them know he was trying to come up with some extra blankets.  Ask the inmates if they had any other concerns, at this point he would have been told about the sick inmate, who he could have pulled from the Rec room, brought to a nurse and kept in isolation.  Because you don't want hundreds of men exposed to the flu.  The sheriff needed to apologize and thank the inmates for cooperating during this crisis.  All of this would assure the inmates that they were respected and would be taken care of.  If Maples had done any of these basic things, tensions would have been a lot lower for both the inmates and the jail staff.

Wh u u u u t???  It sounds like you're espousing some crazy plan where the prisoners are accorded a modicum of dignity or simple human decency.

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 9:55 PM, beesknees said:

Forgive me.  I absolutely hate cleaning but what is the point of people using mops to clean up the raw sewage?  Isn't that just spreading bacteria and disease around instead of taking care of the problem?  How can that be sanitary or proper cleaning?  Granted I don't know what the proper solution would be, but gross!

I'm thinking:  Shop Vac.  (They suck up dry stuff or liquids.)

And that's the sum total of my contributions because I'm not about to watch this shit!  So glad I checked out the comments, pre-show.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, candall said:

Wh u u u u t???  It sounds like you're espousing some crazy plan where the prisoners are accorded a modicum of dignity or simple human decency.

And that's the sum total of my contributions because I'm not about to watch this shit!  So glad I checked out the comments, pre-show.

YES!  Shop vac and step 2 would be about a bazillion gallons of straight bleach poured all over the floors.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, Maharincess said:

I know some might think that these people are criminals and deserve what they get

I think you just hit on why nothing ever changes in many of these places.   Because if nothing changes, nothing changes.  This episode upset me, but I know that there is a portion of this country that wouldn't give a shit.

And how much do the 60 Day participants get?  Someone said $60k?

• Love 3
22 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

Dude Dion. Get out of there. Why stay? I don't get it.

I know.  I'm so worried that he's going to "catch a charge" for fighting.  It's sad that they had no idea what they were getting into, that they might find themselves in situations where they have no choice but to fight in self-defense against people like Daffron or Little Ashley.  Which also makes me wonder why in the hell are they allowed to have tennis shoes in the first place?  In my criminal experience, which is limited to one stupid misdemeanor incident decades ago, I had to leave my tennis shoes with my other belongings, and shoelaces were a definite no!  Even the local mental wards do not allow anyone to have shoes with laces on them due to possible suicide attempts.  The same concern goes for jail inmates, for suicide attempts and possible stranglings.  I, too, wonder how many inmates at Clark County (previous or current) have died or been seriously injured due to neglect, abuse, and a sundry of things that could happen in a hellhole like that. 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, candall said:

A shop vac would require emptying, and I'm fairly certain union rules would prohibit anybody but Custodial staff from dealing with this stuff. And on this level even they would demand hazmat gear. But none of them would mind just letting the inmates sit in it while they wait for somebody else to deal with the problem.

I take that back. There was one guard who said the inmates had a right to be angry.

• Love 1

I had been putting off this episode after seeing the turd in last week's preview. If only that was the worst part of this literal and figurative shit show!

There's a Walmart 12 mins from the jail, according to Google Maps. Open 24 hours and surely has enough Sam's Choice water in stock to hydrate some inmates. I can't find the population of the jail, but the one guard said two hundred and some. So let's say 300 to be safe. 25 cases of water would give them all 2+ bottles. At a high estimate of $4 a case for the cheap stuff, you're looking  $100 and a couple minivans and/or SUVs. Hell, I could probably cram that many in my Durango if I got creative.

That took less than 5 mins to figure out, not knowing the area. You can't tell me the mayor or whomever runs that city/county isn't going to release some emergency funds. And you can't tell me they couldn't scrape together 100 freaking dollars to get those poor people through a good part of the crisis.

I'm sick and disgusted. Dion, Ryan, Quinton, etc all had the right to be sick and disgusted and voice it loudly! 

Edited by Squirrely
  • Love 7