Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Don't Tell Annalise

I'm not sure people are assuming that she'll survive in the long term, though I agree her being pregnant does seem to indicate she does, otherwise that wouldn't be a plot point, as much as they are saying that she is NOT the dead body.

I would be the most upset if the body were Connor, Olive or Wes. (and Oliver is safe) I would be less upset if it were Laurel or Bonnie. (and Bonnie is safe) I would not care if it was anyone else.

Someone upthread indicated that they wouldn't kill off Connor because he is a minority character? by that reasoning none of the 5 except Asher could be killed off, unless he is Jewish? then he would be a minority also. Unless you meant he is not a 'main' character? but again, that applies to everyone except maybe Wes though we really haven't seen too much of him this season compared to the others.

• Love 1

I still say that I would like the dead body to be Nate.  Aside from him being little more than a sexbot, I never thought he was that good a guy and I have never trusted him.  I think I noted before that I highly suspect that his relationship with Annalise is a case of "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

I still think Connor is an option.  Annalise's non-response to Oliver about who was dead after we saw her see and react to the body could point to this.  Remember, Annalise still needed Oliver and his skills to help her coverup whatever she was doing (hearing of her financial troubles, I now believe that Annalise is in fact the person behind the fire).  While I agree that there is still storyline to be mined with Connor, it is possible that the actor, who at least outwardly the person most likely to fit the Hollywood model of its "next big thing," asked to be released.  This would explain why Oliver's role on the show was altered to explain why someone whose connection with the characters on the show is via his relationship with Connor remains affiliated with Annalise ad her crew.  It could also explain why the presumed focus of this season (see below) was changed.

However, with Laurel in the mix and her attachments/obsessions with Frank and Wes, I think the odds are tilting more and more in favor of one of them being the body:

A) Wes seems to finally be happy and there was some sort of resolution to his story.  Although I never bought that Adam Arkin's character was actually his father and thought his murder and Wes's paternity would be the focal point of the season.  I mean, you don't cast Adam Arkin as the man behind the death of Annalise's baby, Wes's potential father to just kill him and move on, do you?  So maybe the showrunners feel like they can move on because there is little left to do with him.  

B) Frank may have been pushed too far into the intentionally murderous corner, something the showrunners could have done to precipitate his exit from the show.  Although as I said earlier, I think there is still a lot to mine with Frank and Annalise, Frank and Sam, and Frank being in jail. Of the two characters I would prefer Wes to go over Frank because Frank can still be a goldmine to the show.  I mean, he's running with Annalise, so borderline psychotic who feels he is avenging innocent clients can work for at least another season.

While we all focus on who it might be, at this point, I will shift and say I hope that both Asher and Michaela make it out of this storyline alive and intact.  Strangely, I find myself actually liking them as characters and I'm moving toward at least being open to their coupledom.  This is huge for me because Asher has always been the character I liked the least and Michaela has always been the just their and undefined character, absent her poor choice in men which was on display during the first two seasons.  I was also pleasantly surprised when Bonnie was revealed to be alive as well because she never made an impact on me other than blah, so at some point, I clearly shifted in my thoughts about her without realizing it. Perhaps I only disliked her because the only other thing I ever saw the actress in was Scandal and she turned out to be playing a less than delightful person there.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Someone upthread indicated that they wouldn't kill off Connor because he is a minority character? by that reasoning none of the 5 except Asher could be killed off, unless he is Jewish? then he would be a minority also. Unless you meant he is not a 'main' character? but again, that applies to everyone except maybe Wes though we really haven't seen too much of him this season compared to the others.

I interpreted it as an extension of the reasoning for people discounting Eve as the dead body. Networks have got a lot of flak for the dead lesbian trope, but it's also an issue with male gay characters. This obviously isn't guaranteed, but I think TPTB would be pretty dumb not to consider this.

Personally, I really hope it's Nate. Although, good for him for having a bit of a backbone in this episode, but I don't think there's anywhere else to take his story, unless they make him an antagonist.

10 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I have a cousin named Michaela so I'm used to the name, but she's the only person I know with it. She was named after our great grandfather, Michael. And we're white, for what it's worth.

There's currently a Michaela on this season of Survivor, and she's black, for what it's worth.

Nice to see Bonnie dominating this week's case.  Did she also take the case of the week when Annalise was in a funk back in season one?

So safe are Annalise (of course), Oliver, Bonnie, and Laurel.  Unaccounted for are Wes, Connor, Frank, Asher, Nate, and Michaela.  As long as the latter two survive, I'll be happy with whomever is under the sheet.

Adam Atkin spends most of his time behind the scenes directing these days.  He will occasionally make a cameo appearance but hasn't committed to a series in a long time.  He made similar cameos on Justified.

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Regarding the timeline, the fire is 4 weeks from the current episode. In the premiere it was longer, either 6 or 8, I can't remember. So the fire is 5 and a half or 6 months from last season's finale.

Not sure it makes a difference. I think they jump around on the timeline a bit. What I remember off the top of my head is last season ending in May. Laurel going to Mexico for the summer and not returning until September. The fire being 4 weeks later, but the 6 week flashback being 6 weeks before the fire. Either way it's either Frank,  some unknown guy or (wildcard) Meggy delivering a fake medical note because Wes and Laurel weren't even in the same city when she got pregnant.

I realized, whilst watching Conviction, that this show has ruined me for legal dramas. The emotion on HTGAWM is always at ELEVEN; any other legal show seems bland by comparison. (Of course Conviction's other problem is that Hayley Attwell is the only interesting thing about it, but that's for another thread).

That's not to say that the legal procedural aspects of the show are any good. Half the time I either barely care or can't figure out what's going on in Annaliese's lizard brain, and I just get so caught up in Viola's shouting and stomping (still!) in heels, with her dresses just a skosh too tight, and oh man, now her nose is running. It's weird to think that in Season 1 she was held up as this amazing, together attorney, and we've barely seen that since oh, Season 1, episode 2. She reacts, she plots, she lambasts, she tears a strip off; the woman is a walking powder keg -- who somehow commands complete loyalty from Bonnie and Frank, who she treats like shit for the most part. 

I still hope it's Frank. I always thought he was a square peg in Annaliese's life, not a lawyer, though he tried to dress like one. And now with killing Bonnie's father...I think he may have crossed the line for me in terms of redemption. (Not because Dad deserved to live, but because it was so random. Is this Frank's way of apologizing? Don't get it, too psychotic for me.) (Although I was surprised that Bonnie's father was even alive, I think I assumed he was dead for some reason, don't know why.) Nate's not important enough for the cast to freak out about him being beneath the sheet, IMO.

I just can't with the timeline. 

Edited by rubyred
clarify
17 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I don't think Oliver is an ass.  Sometimes you break up with people for whatever reason, it doesn't have to make the world comfortable, only you.  Conner can do what he wants but it's not right to rub it in Oliver's face.  Maybe something else is going on with Oliver...

Now that we know Laurel was on the table in the hospital, I think Frank is the one under the sheet, simply because I can't see how he can come back after all he's done.  I think Frank is dead and Annalise set the house on fire, maybe to kill Frank, or for the insurance.   I think Frank is the father of Laurel's baby and that's why she's been looking for him. 

Someone please remind me, how did Annalise find out that Frank was responsible for her baby's death?  Did Frank tell her last season?  I don't remember. 

I like Michaela and Asher together.  I like that Lauren Velez is in this show, I've liked her for years, before she was on "Oz." I only hope she's not under the sheet.

One more thing, saying "Don't tell Annalise" is never a good idea because she always finds out anyway.

I totally agree (sadly)  that it's Frank under the sheet, the fire was intentional set by Annalise's to kill Frank but Laurel found out last min, ran in the house to try to save him. 

Howecer, you mentioning insurance as a motive for the house fire reminded me of the exchange between Eve & Annaliese where A says she's broke, spent Sams whole inheritance " on a hit man, not really a hit man, yea ok he's shut man " then shevery flatly mentions selling the house. So now I'm kind of flipping theories to the house fire was to get money, but someone found Wes was inside (maubetook A up on her creepy sleepover offer this tine)  but I'm thinking she wouldn't plan to kill Wes. Then Laurel finds out Wes is in the house & knowing this show she's pregnant with his baby so tries to save him & end up burned in the hospital with her life in Creppt Meggies hands lol.

I really don't know, but i think I feel confident it's one of those 2. 

I absolutely loved seeing Annalise and Eve dancing the night away! I like their relationship - unfortunately its the only ingenious relationship Annalise has/had. Talking about Eve: It would be ridiculous her being under that sheet - after revealing the girlfriend there is no possible reason for her to return to Philly.

Lets put Nate on that stretcher - after all that kale went into the garbage he's not even good for nutrition anymore. 

I am neither a big fan of Wes, but as I ship Waurel I wanna know how this story develops. By the way: I am convinced, that Laurel knew about the pregnancy all the time - she refused Connors Mojito in the first ep. So its not possible carrying Wes' baby and it becomes clear why she is so heavy after Frank. 

I do not like the whole Coliver development at all. If you're really lovelorn (Connor) you cannot stand being together at every possible situation. He seems way to slack. Hope this gets a twist soon. 

Seeing Bonnie and Asher together I realized that I got over Bosher so much! I love Masher and I hope that we get more of them. Really do not understand why everybody is so after Bonnie. She is the character of the show I like least. 

6 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

This sounds so bizarre, but it's sweet of Frank to kill Bonnie's horrid father.  I always loved their little friendship.

I know lol, when went Hey Bob nice to meet you as he's shows the mask on his face I was like Yes Frank is so great!" My boyfriend was like "he's great? He's murdering that guy" 

And I was like "yea but the is awful and more importantly he's murdering for friendship."

He definitely did not agree and we are probably in the minority thinking this way but you're def not alone lol

• Love 8

I liked that Annalise addressed her own sexuality as "its complicated"; a woman after my own heart.   I dont want to necessairly criticize any posters here or elsewhere, but I think the "bi" and/or "queer" labels that some have used for her are not only incorrect, but would be flatly rejected by Annalise herself.  

That said, this motion that Connor is such a P.C. gay rings false to real life and the character himself.   Last week he gets mad that someone else isnt into Asians, and then this week he talks about eating a daddy's ass and then gets pounded by a younger black guy and a younger latino guy, and he checks id's too!  And its strange that the show is so clearly afraid to offend anyone via Connor when it has no problem allowing other characters to be offensive.  

At least Eve got a happy ending with Famke going off to do Blacklist 2.  

I have to join the minority opinion in thinking Frank killing Bonnie's pedophile rapist father was really sweet.  It doesnt make up for what he did to Annalise and her baby, but I do love him avenging him trying to avenge his only friend.

The client of the week was a terrible actor.

The scene with Bonnie accusing the client's teacher was odd.  It was if there was some twist that was cut at literally the last minute.

I want Oliver and Drake to leave, together or a part, I dont care, I just want them both gone.

I wish theyd find a way to bring back Lynn Whitfield and Elliot Knight.

With Laurel as the one in the hospital, Im back to thinking Connor is #underthesheet.

Edited by Tiger
3 hours ago, Aleks said:

I absolutely loved seeing Annalise and Eve dancing the night away! I like their relationship - unfortunately its the only ingenious relationship Annalise has/had. Talking about Eve: It would be ridiculous her being under that sheet - after revealing the girlfriend there is no possible reason for her to return to Philly.

I wouldn't go that far. She breaks up with Vanessa, Annalise calls her for help, Wes gets arrested for Mahoney's murder, etc. There are plenty of possible reasons for her to return. I hope she stays away until after the fire, as much as I love watching her onscreen, but if they want to bring her back, they could write it in pretty easily. I wonder/hope if her move to San Francisco is more because the actress is on another show and will have limited availability.

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I wouldn't go that far. She breaks up with Vanessa, Annalise calls her for help, Wes gets arrested for Mahoney's murder, etc. There are plenty of possible reasons for her to return. I hope she stays away until after the fire, as much as I love watching her onscreen, but if they want to bring her back, they could write it in pretty easily. I wonder/hope if her move to San Francisco is more because the actress is on another show and will have limited availability.

I think Eve's exit has everything to do with Famke's availability.  

Her new show isnt likely to bomb as its a spinoff of a hit, but for whatever reason NBC ordered a shorter than usual and decided to not start airing until spring, so Famke was available for this one episode but then not likely available for a while.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Tiger said:

I want Oliver and Drake to leave, together or a part, I dont care, I just want them both gone.

I'm going to take a wild guess and predict that either Oliver and Drake hook up or Connor and Drake hook up.  

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

I wish theyd find a way to bring back Lynn Whitfield and Elliot Knight.

Elliot Knight - Yes!  Aiden was hot.   I also wish they'd find a way to bring back Arjun Gupta (Kan, Laurel's Legal Aide fight-for-the-little-guy boyfriend), Kendrick Sampson (dead Caleb Hapstall), and Niko Pepaj (dead Pax who fell backwards out of the window at Trudeau Securities).  These three were yummy as well.  

Why do all the good looking guys have to die or fade away????      Waaaahahhhahhahahahahhahha!

• Love 1

I still say either Nate or Eve are under the sheet but I can't figure out how Laurel would play into either scenario.  I mean, why would Laurel be in the house with Nate or Eve without other people being there as well???  

Some think it's Frank and it would make sense that Frank's under the sheet now that we know Laurel's the other victim. BUT -- Frank being under the sheet doesn't make sense for Annalise acting so broken up about it when she saw who was on the stretcher in the ambulance.   After all, she hired a hit man to have Frank killed, so why would she all-the-sudden be devastated by his death?

Some people are theorizing that Rebecca is under the sheet but to me that's absurd. She'd be nothing but bones by now and Annalise wouldn't have even recognized her by just bones, let alone be upset about her death.  Some think Rebecca was never really killed.... that we were only made to THINK she was.   Oh brother!!! That's even too crazy for this show.  Why throw Rebecca back into the mix?  That would be such a jump-the-shark moment, and this show hasn't reached that point yet.

• Love 1

I had to add my 2 cents to the Laurel discussion......

Last week's episode took place about 4 weeks before the fire, yes? Laurel is running out of time to get pregnant if they are planning on showing us the conception (which I don't think they'll do). You are technically 2 weeks at conception, 4 before you ever miss a period. So literally, if we're going to see it then it pretty much has to be this week if we are following the timeline. 

My personal opinion is that there have been some things we haven't been shown. Laurel has been my favorite from the start and I just cannot see her having the information on Frank's whereabouts and not acting on it. That is totally *not* Laurel. After her Dad turned the information over and she lied to Annalise about it, it was clear whose side she had chosen and I just cannot see her having that information and simply sitting on it. I think it is entirely possible that she went to Coalport by herself and we just don't know that at this point. I also thought it was strange that last week she left Frank the message of, "I'll explain next time I see you in person....." Prior to that Laurel had no idea if he'd ever resurface, be willing to see any of them, or anything. I just think there is more to Laurel than we're aware of at this point. 

I may be in the minority, but I cannot handle a hookup between Wes and Laurel. To each their own, of course, but I just cannot get on board with that. In all honesty, I would probably quit watching the show if they went there. I believe that Laurel WANTS to like someone like Wes, but she cannot help who she loves and that's Frank. You don't align yourself on the opposite side of Annalise Keating for someone you have lukewarm feelings about. Laurel knows very well what going against Annalise would mean. That scene in episode 1 where Annalise told Laurel there was no gray area, it was her or Frank, wasn't added in for nothing. What Laurel did was calculated and purposeful and she had a full understanding of the consequences and all of that for someone she may never see again. Wes? Wes is a good guy. A genuinely good guy. I don't want to see him go down a path of cheating on his girlfriend or getting tangled up in Laurel's mess. I love her, but the mess she has gotten herself into is no place for Wes. I know Wes has made his share of mistakes, but he still has an innocence about him that Laurel lost the second she fell for Frank and I would just hate to see him go down that road. Again, that is only my opinion, I understand Laurel & Wes have quite a following. 

Sadly, if I had to make a guess today, I think Frank is going to be who dies. I am not happy about that. For me, Frank is such a complex character with ties to several of the main players. I think he would also, regardless of their current situation, be one that would elicit that kind of reaction from Annalise. I could see him being responsible for the fire and finding out after the fact that Laurel was in there and going in to try and get her out, dying in the process. The body and Laurel weren't found near one another from what I recall. They found the body and then didn't find Laurel (who I believe was in the basement) until later. On the other hand, I could also see Annalise starting it for whatever reason and being unaware anyone was in there. I think her uncertainty about killing Frank this past episode could be some foreshadowing. 

Killing Frank and making him the Father of Laurel's baby would be an angle with a lot of potential. I honestly don't see the pregnancy surviving. I may be wrong, but I just cannot see a baby fitting into that show the way it is. I think Laurel will have a miscarriage. Add losing a baby she may or may not have known about and losing Frank would be devastating to her. I don't think the same Laurel would come out of that. Which has the potential to be very interesting. 

I am probably wrong about ALL of that. The fact that so many people think it will be Frank that dies makes me wonder if it's going to be yet another twist that none of us saw coming. It's very rare that the masses predict what happens on this show correctly and I have saw speculation of it being Frank on multiple sites. He and Nate seem to be the front runners. I guess we'll see! 

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, nutty1 said:

I am not caught up on all the episodes, so can you tell me who is "safe" so far? Aren't they supposed to let us know each week who isn't dead?

(I don't think this would be a spoiler).

ETA....I found this article that tells us 2 of the safe ones.....

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/how-to-get-away-with-murder-matt-mcgorry-interview-who-dies-in-house-fire-1201888267/

Bonnie, Oliver, and Laurel are the three we know as of now. Laurel was in the house but was alive when they got her out and is currently in what I'd call critical condition. 

Edited by apn85
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, TVHappy9463 said:

Annalise set the fire to cover up another dead body. Didn't know laurel was hiding in the basement. 

I doubt Wes is dead. Or Frank.  Maybe Nate or Eve.  Anyway Annalise knew before she got to the house. 

I'm completely OK with this theory! LOL I'm really going to miss and mourn Frank if they off him. 

Also - let's say Annalise did start the fire to cover something up and was unaware that Laurel was inside. If the baby belongs to Frank and he's not the dead one, if Laurel suffered a miscarriage that would be quite the situation. Frank was responsible for the death of Annalise's baby even if he didn't intend for it to happen. Annalise would be responsible for the death of Frank's baby even if she didn't intend for it to happen. That'd be some good drama. 

Edited by apn85
  • Love 3

Oh Anna May, she's done lost it now, time for Cicely Tyson to come back.

I was wondering if Annalise set it on fire for the insurance money after the revelation she spent all of Sam's insurance money and for not even a good reason. 

I think there is zero chance its Wes. Frank is a bit of a cop out since he's been gone all season. If its one of the five, my best guess would be Asher or Conner, although I think Michaela is the most expendable. I'm still thinking its Nate, although it makes little sense for Nate and Laurel to be in the house but who knows...

14 hours ago, rubyred said:

I still hope it's Frank. I always thought he was a square peg in Annaliese's life, not a lawyer, though he tried to dress like one. And now with killing Bonnie's father...I think he may have crossed the line for me in terms of redemption. (Not because Dad deserved to live, but because it was so random. Is this Frank's way of apologizing? Don't get it, too psychotic for me.)

Actually, if you believe the narrative that Frank killed Wes's father, then he was playing the role of avenging angel at that point.  Avenging Annalise and her son and avenging himself because his dealings with Wes's dad was what put him on the path we currently see him on.  That's part of why I think the body has to be Wes or Frank. Frank because he has gone too far. Wes because Frank can't logically come back into the mix with Wes knowing he killed his father, but this is HTGAWM and everyone is a killer or involved in covering up killings, so Frank's return might not phase Wes in the least.

So while I want the body to be Nate, as the story unfolds, I doubt it.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Aleks said:

I am convinced, that Laurel knew about the pregnancy all the time - she refused Connors Mojito in the first ep. So its not possible carrying Wes' baby and it becomes clear why she is so heavy after Frank,

I thought this too until I realized that Laurel was drinking when she was with her father in Mexio, and she appeared to be drinking at Wes's party.  Either way, we should know by next week, in order for Laurel to be detectably pregnant in four weeks, wouldn't she have to hookup with someone next week?  If there is no such connection, that leaves us its Frank as the father and definitely under the sheet, if for no other reason than the drama that will bring.

• Love 3

Why the assumption that Laurel lives? I hope she does but it doesn't mean she does. 

Why have her found alive and pregnant if they were going to kill them both off, on top of the other body they have? They wouldn't.

3 hours ago, Happytobehere said:

I thought this too until I realized that Laurel was drinking when she was with her father in Mexio, and she appeared to be drinking at Wes's party.  Either way, we should know by next week, in order for Laurel to be detectably pregnant in four weeks, wouldn't she have to hookup with someone next week?  If there is no such connection, that leaves us its Frank as the father and definitely under the sheet, if for no other reason than the drama that will bring.

I was thinking the same thing until I saw her drinking while she was away seeing her Father. The mojito thing in episode one, along with Michaela's comment about being pregnant with Frank's baby was odd, I admit. Why would you ask a friend that knowing she'd gone through a break up? Of course, I guess Michaela could have been drunk when the comment was made. I can't remember. 

Then the night she was out with Bonnie and lost the round of pool, Bonnie told her to drink up and her immediate comment was, "I can't." She did drink most of that shot though. I still thought there was something going on based on that. No more than was in that glass, it wouldn't have hurt anything and it would keep Bonnie from suspecting anything. I fell off the wagon when she was drinking in her hotel room. She was alone, so there was no reason to sip on something to keep suspicion down. For that reason, I don't think she's been pregnant this whole time and I'm not entirely sure why she's been so determined to find Frank all of a sudden. 

Also, I kept seeing comments made about Laurel "pining" after Wes last week. Am I the only one that didn't get that at all? It's no secret I am completely against Wes and Laurel getting together, but being as objective as I could possibly be about the episode I didn't get that. For me, Laurel was completely preoccupied this episode with Frank. She was checked out pretty much the whole episode. She didn't seem to have any interest in being around anyone. When she was searching prison records at the library and Meggy called, it came through as an unknown caller, which she totally thought was Frank. I think that is why she rolled her eyes and seemed annoyed when Meggy announced herself. I didn't get that it was because she's got this huge thing for Wes and his girlfriend calling her just twisted the knife in her back. Also, at the party I didn't get that she was jealous of Wes and Meggy. She looked completely miserable with everyone and everything and couldn't get out of there fast enough. I might feel different if she hadn't ignored Wes the entire episode and acted annoyed anytime he came around. Not to mention she lied to him about Frank too. She had the perfect opportunity to come clean with him, and I think she did think about it, but in the end chose to protect Frank. I may be in some serious denial, but I honestly just didn't see it. 

I'm also confused as to why she ended up over at Annalise's house the night of the party when she overheard that Bonnie's Father had died. I'm probably dead wrong, but I just feel like between finding out his location and this episode that Laurel saw him. I'm not sure how much time passed between 3x03 and 3x04, but based on her behavior this week I could see her having found out she was pregnant. Her voicemails to him were different all of a sudden, she really didn't drink this episode (the cup she had at the party may or may not have contained alcohol. She didn't really drink much of it and we don't know what it was), and her reaction to what she overheard about Bonnie's Father was pretty strong given the fact that she knows other things Frank has done. I could absolutely see that reaction if she had just discovered she was pregnant and the Father of her baby had most likely killed someone else. It's also entirely possible she was just feeling guilty for not telling them where he was when she found out. 

• Love 2

I'm intrigued to find out why Frank was in prison and how Sam and Annalise saved him from it (per his dad's words last night). Definitely want to know more about that.

I'm also going to say that I don't believe the fire at Annalise's house was set intentionally. I can't point to anything I've seen so far for why I believe this; just a feeling I have*

This sounds so bizarre, but it's sweet of Frank to kill Bonnie's horrid father.  I always loved their little friendship.

I know lol, when went Hey Bob nice to meet you as he's shows the mask on his face I was like Yes Frank is so great!" My boyfriend was like "he's great? He's murdering that guy" 

And I was like "yea but the is awful and more importantly he's murdering for friendship."

He definitely did not agree and we are probably in the minority thinking this way but you're def not alone lol

I have to join the minority opinion in thinking Frank killing Bonnie's pedophile rapist father was really sweet.  It doesnt make up for what he did to Annalise and her baby, but I do love him avenging him trying to avenge his only friend.

You all are not the minority. I too was touched by Frank's gesture. And by gesture, I mean suffocating Bonnie's awful father. I know, I know. I do not condone murder, but I give the characters on this show far more leeway than I would IRL.

I also wish they'd find a way to bring back Arjun Gupta 

Me too! He was great on this show! I'm sure he could come in and shoot a few scenes while he's on his break from The Magicians.

*Of course, my predictions for this show's plots are always wrong, so take this with a big grain of salt.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, healthnut said:

Oh Anna May, she's done lost it now, time for Cicely Tyson to come back.

And you remember why she burned down HER house, to kill the nasty ol' uncle who was messing with Annalise.  I believe that Annalise burned her house down to kill someone who was hurting one of hers.

• Love 3

I didn't realize Frank knew what had happened to Bonnie as a kid. Was that something we were shown and I just forgot? The way Bonnie freaked out at Annalise last season for telling Asher, I just really didn't think anybody else in her present life knew. Killing Bonnie's father was a smart play on Frank's part, in that he just got Bonnie on his side, and I'm willing to bet he did the murder more for that reason than for vengeance.

I don't like Nate and Annalise together, more because of him than because of her. Part of it is his lack of personality - which seems the writers are fully aware of, given that Eve had a snarky line about his being boring - but also, Nate doesn't even like her, and that's always a total red flag in a relationship. Yes, Annalise is a mess, but it goes beyond that - it's also about him trying to change what she eats and so on, throwing out her junk food. She should've booted him out earlier. He's one of those people who thinks they are being nice when they're actually being quite controlling and condescending.

Eve, on the other hand, actually likes Annalise, and Annalise comes alive with her in a way that she doesn't with anyone else. It was interesting when Annalise yelled at Nate that Eve has more balls than Nate and the rest; you can see which of them she actually respects, and it's not Nate. I was kind of torn at the end because with what Annalise has put Eve through over the years, she did deserve to miss out on a chance with Eve now instead of just snapping her fingers and having Eve back, yet I actually felt pretty sorry for Annalise anyway, because Viola Davis is just that good. It killed Annalise to hear that Eve was finally serious with someone else. And I wonder if what Nate said to her earlier, about how she'd ruin Eve next, affected how Annalise chose to handle that revelation, telling Eve to go be with her girlfriend instead of pushing for one night together, or more. I still think there's a good chance of Eve and Annalise being endgame. They can always just have Eve and the girlfriend break up when Famke's available again.

Four episodes left, four members of the Keating Five not yet shown to be alive. The show certainly wants us to think the body is one of the K5.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Tiger said:

That said, this motion that Connor is such a P.C. gay rings false to real life and the character himself.   Last week he gets mad that someone else isnt into Asians, and then this week he talks about eating a daddy's ass and then gets pounded by a younger black guy and a younger latino guy, and he checks id's too!  And its strange that the show is so clearly afraid to offend anyone via Connor when it has no problem allowing other characters to be offensive.  

I'm confused by this post.  What do you mean by "PC gay"?  As for the checking ID's that seems to tie in with the COTW. It appears Connor is making sure he's not about to commit statutory rape.

5 hours ago, apn85 said:
  8 hours ago, Happytobehere said:

I had this exact thought earlier. I was previously thinking she got pregnant before Frank went on the lam, but I have a feeling she's very newly pregnant. She drank at the hotel when she visited her father in Miami (remember he's barred from returning to Mexico.) She was drinking shots when playing pool with Bonnie and she drank at Wes birthday party. I think we haven't seen when she gets pregnant yet.

Edited by Milaxx
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, SneakyCentipede said:

And I was like "yea but the is awful and more importantly he's murdering for friendship."

Frank's thread should definitely be subtitled, "Murdering For Friendship."

:)

• Love 4

If Frank is under the sheet, does that mean we never get to see the part of his backstory where he's in prison? I feel like they have been dangling too many unresolved and intriguing story points to end it all abruptly.

On the other hand, if they kill Connor, I will hate that. HAAAATE it. It's a cliche. And I'm too much enjoying his character and story. And I don't see him being alone in Annalise's house for any reason-- he really wouldn't be there outside work hours, he doesn't do her in-house errands, he tries to distance himself as much as possible and he's basically checked out as much as he can. And I don't think they have made us care enough about Michaela or Asher to have their deaths be impactful enough. Certainly Annalise wouldn't wail for real or for show over them. So that brings us back to Frank or Wes. Or Nate, I guess. Or her mama. And I say again that it had damn well better not be Eve. And putting Meggy in the ER means it wasn't her, since that was floated at some point as a possibility, especially if Wes might have moved in.

The other thing I wonder is whether the person was already dead and the fire was set to cover it up, or whether the death was accidental when the fire happened. On this show, the fact that they foreshadowed the possibility of it being set on purpose (because Annalise needs the money) might actually mean it's LESS likely rather than more, because they like red herrings just that much.

Ok, I'm throwing out my final Baby Daddy hypothesis. I just finished watching 3x03 and 3x04 again.

3x03 took place 6 weeks before the fire. This was the episode where Laurel went to visit her Father, so she didn't leave any messages for Frank in this episode. She spoke to him when he called her that night at the hotel, but that was it. She got back from Miami and as we know lied to Annalise to keep his location hidden. 

In 3x01 it was clear by the message she left him that she had no idea where he was. We only heard her leave one message, but in it she told him she knew he was checking his voicemail and that he wasn't dead somewhere. 3x02 was when she approached Bonnie pretending to be concerned about the Mahoney case just to see if she had heard from Frank. Bonnie pulled her phone records and saw multiple calls to Frank which she told Annalise about. Laurel came clean that night over a game of pool, and then after left that message she recorded in front of Bonnie and Annalise. Still pretty obvious she didn't have a clue where he was. 3x03 I covered above. 

3x04 took place 4 weeks before the fire and 2 weeks after Laurel discovered Frank's location. Her message to him in this episode was "It's me. I got rid of my old phone for reasons I'll explain in person. Just....this is my new number. Please call me." She also went to Frank's Dad in this episode to snoop around to see if he'd been in contact with Frank. She seemed pretty certain that she'd be seeing him in person when before she had no reason at all to think that. For that reason, I think in those 2 weeks between 3x03 and 3x04 Laurel went to Coalport and saw Frank. I feel like if she hadn't then to insinuate she would be seeing him in person might tip him off to the fact that she knew his location and send him running elsewhere. I feel like she went to him, somehow convinced him that she hadn't told Annalise his location, and could have very well slept with him. It would explain her fixation on him, neediness, and just overall strange behavior in 3x04 - the thought process of we're cool, he saw me and we had sex, so why isn't he calling me?  

That would put 5'ish weeks between then and the fire which would be plenty of time for her to have gotten pregnant and it show up in a blood test.

I also think that it could be one of the main reasons she was so upset about Bonnie's Father. Laurel believed Frank when he said Annalise was trying to kill him. She admitted that is why she lied. So I think when she overheard Bonnie and Annalise discussing the situation, she got so upset because to her it would seem like Frank was choosing all of this over her. Kind of a "You already can't come home because of what you did to Annalise and now you go and murder Bonnie's Father too?!" I think if Laurel did see him and believed his side of things that she just wouldn't understand why he was creating more problems. I think she'd feel lied to and hurt.  

P.S. - I'm sure all of the above is what they are banking on the village idiot to map out while they keep the real happenings successfully hidden. You can count on me! :P

Edited by apn85
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I didn't realize Frank knew what had happened to Bonnie as a kid. Was that something we were shown and I just forgot? The way Bonnie freaked out at Annalise last season for telling Asher, I just really didn't think anybody else in her present life knew. Killing Bonnie's father was a smart play on Frank's part, in that he just got Bonnie on his side, and I'm willing to bet he did the murder more for that reason than for vengeance.

When Frank had drinks with Asher in 1x11 Best Christmas Ever, Asher asked if Bonnie was visiting her family to which Frank replied: "Nah, her family is messed up." I always figured he knew, since we've been told several times that they know each other's secrets. It makes sense to me, too, they've known each other for a decade and Frank is probably the only close friend Bonnie has. We also still don't know when and how Bonnie met Annalise for the first time. If she was Annalise's client and Frank worked for her already, he might have known because of that and not because Bonnie told him.

8 hours ago, Milaxx said:

I'm confused by this post.  What do you mean by "PC gay"?  As for the checking ID's that seems to tie in with the COTW. It appears Connor is making sure he's not about to commit statutory rape.

That this smart, attractive white guy in his 20's likes fucking and being fucked by older, younger, black, hispanic, white, and asian guys, is cool dating and having sex with someone who is HIV+, and checks undergrads' id's is such a bogus politically correct characterization.  

Especially after he turned down attractive white John DeLuca, its clear theyre going for this 'Connor is PC' thing, and in my opinion it doesnt fit with season 1 Connor nor ring true to real life.  Everyone has a type and that Connor doesnt is bogus.

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Tiger said:

Especially after he turned down attractive white John DeLuca, its clear theyre going for this 'Connor is PC' thing, and in my opinion it doesnt fit with season 1 Connor nor ring true to real life.  Everyone has a type and that Connor doesnt is bogus.

Even if someone has a "type" they are not incapable of being aroused by someone who doesn't fit that type.  I am very attracted to Asian and Latin men, and I'm married to a white guy.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, muessigkeit said:

We also still don't know when and how Bonnie met Annalise for the first time. If she was Annalise's client and Frank worked for her already, he might have known because of that and not because Bonnie told him.

I thought it was established in season 2 that Bonnie was once Annalise's student chosen to work at her firm, just the like K5.  

ETA:  Found it.  Season 2 episode 11.

Edited by J.D.
  • Love 1

Well, from this episode it now sounds like Annalise and Sam first met Frank when he was in jail, and he was (supposed to be) a rehabilitation project for them.

Bonnie was in treatment with Sam in the flashbacks, so she could have met Annalise through being Sam's patient - or it could have been the other way around and she met Sam through being Annalise's student. Or maybe, like Frank apparently, she had a legal issue and met Annalise that way first (which maybe explains why Annalise had that video).

I can't remember if they specifically said that Bonnie and Frank were Annalise's students a la the K5, but even if so, it still could be like Wes, where Annalise actually knew them before they were her students and that's why she picked them to be her students and work at her firm. There's still a lot of unfilled backstory with both Bonnie and Frank.

Edited by Black Knight
18 minutes ago, J.D. said:

I thought it was established in season 2 that both Bonnie and Frank were both once Annalise's students chosen to work at her firm, just the like K5.

I'm pretty sure Frank was never one of Annalise's students. He's not a lawyer, and I'd be surprised if he went to law school even for a little while.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, secnarf said:

I'm pretty sure Frank was never one of Annalise's students. He's not a lawyer, and I'd be surprised if he went to law school even for a little while.

I agree.  That's why I edited the above post 10 minutes ago.

39 minutes ago, J.D. said:

I thought it was established in season 2 that Bonnie was once Annalise's student chosen to work at her firm, just the like K5.  

ETA:  Found it.  Season 2 episode 11.

Yes, she was, but from that episode it's also obvious that Annalise knew her before. Watch that talk they have in Annalise's office again if you can. Annalise asks Bonnie how therapy is going with Sam and Bonnie says "He's really helping me, like you said he would. And thank you for everything." So Annalise obviously recommended Bonnie go see Sam as a therapist (which she did); why would she do that for a random student she didn't know anything about? I think at this point she already knew about Bonnie's father.

Bonnie was a former Keating 5. My guess is she may have also been one of Annalise's client's she kept tabs on like she appears to have done with Wes. I can't image how else she would have that video of Bonnie being abused by her dad so there may be more backstory there. As for Frank, it's been established that Sam got Annalise to hire Frank. I agree with @starri that it's likely that Sam met him when he was working as a therapist for the prison. The next ep is called "It's about Frank." so I'm hoping we get that backstory.

7 hours ago, Tiger said:

That this smart, attractive white guy in his 20's likes fucking and being fucked by older, younger, black, hispanic, white, and asian guys, is cool dating and having sex with someone who is HIV+, and checks undergrads' id's is such a bogus politically correct characterization.  

@doram summed up my thoughts exactly. Within the context of the episodes Connors actions make perfect sense.  Additionally none of the characters are exactly the same as they were in season 1. ( BTW - Connor met and kept going back to Oliver in season 1 even when he didn't need him to hack.) This is the same thing that Asher had to remind Michaela. The people the K5 are now is a culmination what they have been through and their association with each other. Connor is trying to be that guy he once was but his heart's not really in it. He told Oliver at Wes's b-day party they could get back together and he'd stop sleeping around. 

Edited by Milaxx
  • Love 1

They're still doing a poor job of convincing me that Eve shouldn't be Annalise's endgame.  Viola has so much more chemistry with Famke.  It seems like the two of them really like working together, and it comes across with the ear-to-ear grins Viola always has when they're together.

I also have to shout out to their music.  The song they played under the two of them dancing was great.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, doram said:

I don't get your post at all, unless you're trying to be deliberately offensive. Everyone has a 'type' & clearly Connor does, too. I mean if we find out that the "silver fox" he's scoping is really a pot-bellied, pork-faced, humpback then I can see your point, but you're basically saying that Connor is PC because he likes a variety of hot, tall, hard-bodied men?

[ . . . ]

Like I said, it just seems like you're trying to be deliberately offensive. Connor is "bogus" and "PC" because - unlike "real gay people" he is not selfish, shallow, insensitive and borderline racist?

Im really not trying to be offensive, and I think at this point i'll just recognize that we have different points of view on this, respect yours and ask that you respect mine.

1 hour ago, starri said:

They're still doing a poor job of convincing me that Eve shouldn't be Annalise's endgame.  Viola has so much more chemistry with Famke.  It seems like the two of them really like working together, and it comes across with the ear-to-ear grins Viola always has when they're together.

I also have to shout out to their music.  The song they played under the two of them dancing was great.

I agree that Eve is Annalise's "happy ever after", but I dont think Annalise will nor should get that.  She is a wonderfully and extremely complex character that has been fascinating to watch, but I think to end the show with her happy would undermine the narrative.

4 hours ago, starri said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Sam had been Frank's therapist while he was in prison.

Now Im really confused on what was and was not established about Sam and Bonnie's pasta with each other, and respectively with Annalise.

Im hoping one day some enterprising fan will do what a fan/fans did with Lost and edit the show into chronologically proper after its conclusion.

2 hours ago, starri said:

They're still doing a poor job of convincing me that Eve shouldn't be Annalise's endgame.

I don't think they're trying to convince anyone of that, quite the opposite. They'd write Eve/Annalise a lot differently if they were.

I take Tiger's point that Annalise maybe shouldn't have a happily-ever-after. This show is a knockoff of Damages in multiple ways, and her counterpart on that show didn't. Tonally it feels somewhat wrong to give Annalise a happily-ever-after. But this is also one of a very few shows with a black female lead, and said lead is played by Viola Davis, and it's a Shondaland show. As such I think they'll continue putting Annalise through the wringer, but give her happiness in the end. She kind of seems to realize already that her problem is her life, and that she should really change it - quit the law, quit the awful clients, quit the awful people around her who keep dragging her into shit - but she just can't decide what to change it to. She commented in this episode, somewhat wryly but also somewhat truthfully, that she should retire. But she doesn't know what she would do if she did. If she does end up giving up the law, like the other female lead of Damages did, then she's going to get that ending instead (which was a happy one).

• Love 2
On 10/14/2016 at 7:31 PM, tvfanatic13 said:

Why the assumption that Laurel lives? I hope she does but it doesn't mean she does. 

It might be projection on my part, since Laurel is my favorite character and I'm not ready for her to die quite yet (though I acknowledge the possibility given what this show is about), but I think it would be a bit much to kill off two major characters at once, assuming whoever's #UnderTheSheet is a main character as well. Not to mention that they went through the trouble of making her pregnant, which has many storyline possibilities, and have just started really getting into her backstory this season. I think she's safe for at least another half season.

On 10/15/2016 at 7:19 PM, apn85 said:

I was thinking the same thing until I saw her drinking while she was away seeing her Father. The mojito thing in episode one, along with Michaela's comment about being pregnant with Frank's baby was odd, I admit. Why would you ask a friend that knowing she'd gone through a break up? Of course, I guess Michaela could have been drunk when the comment was made. I can't remember. 

Then the night she was out with Bonnie and lost the round of pool, Bonnie told her to drink up and her immediate comment was, "I can't." She did drink most of that shot though. I still thought there was something going on based on that. No more than was in that glass, it wouldn't have hurt anything and it would keep Bonnie from suspecting anything. I fell off the wagon when she was drinking in her hotel room. She was alone, so there was no reason to sip on something to keep suspicion down. For that reason, I don't think she's been pregnant this whole time and I'm not entirely sure why she's been so determined to find Frank all of a sudden. 

I think at that point Laurel had already had quite a bit to drink (it seemed like she kept losing to Bonnie at pool and had to drink each time) and her "I can't" was because she'd already drank so much and didn't feel like she could take another shot.

9 hours ago, starri said:

I'm obsessed with the music on this show. Their music supervisor is consistently on point with the choices, and uses a lot of songs by the same artists, which I think is cool. I may or may not have a Spotify playlist that is every single song used on this show in chronological order. It's not important.

• Love 1

Wow, this one certainly delivered.

Laurel being pregnant, I didn't see coming and neither did I think she'd be in the house as well. Interesting that Meggy was the one to discover her pregnancy though as Bonnie and Oliver were at the hospital.

Bonnie and Laurel having a secret is interesting. I wasn't expecting Frank to actually kill Bonnie's father but it was a nice enough twist too.

Annalise and Eve are probably better suited to each other but it's a little frustrating the show can't use the word 'bisexual' and I can't shake the feeling off that either Eve or Nate will be the dead body in the house. Nate and Annalise really do need to break up as well.

I liked the case of the week with Bonnie and Asher and them working through some of their past issues as well. 

Connor and Oliver trying to move on from each other makes sense but it does feel like they'll have reunited before we get to the fire debacle though. Is Simon always going to be a pain in the backside though?

The consequences of Annalise's slap from last week were explored nicely enough, even if the alcoholism claim gives her an out as such.

Michaela was a bit off in this episode and Wes just seemed fixated on Laurel's every move, 8/10

• Love 1

Meggy discovered the pregnancy because she was working the ER. Remember she told Wes she was starting her ER rotation. Since Oliver and Bonnie aren't family, they wouldn't have been given that info.

I think Simon is this season's Sinclair, the one person that's constantly annoying  the K5. 

I'm not sure how long Connor & Oliver will stay broken up. I hope Oliver at least finds out the truth by winter's break and then the back half can be about them deciding if they will be together again.

I'm also beginning to think Annalise is a functional alcoholic. I'm curious to see if her rehab will be more than lip service.

Edited by Milaxx