Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: The Break

Tara Ariano

I'm wondering if one of the show's issues so far isn't really that it can't quite decide what it wants to be in terms of where the focus is, which then often tends to make the dynamic between the largely expository flashbacks and real-time action feel... clunky. It's not consistently taking the (fictional) biographical approach as the story of Ginny Baker because then you'd imagine her family and any relationships outside of the world of the sport would be more relevant instead of limited to the maybe-maybe-not recurring guest star role. But at the same time it's also not very consequent in its "world-building" as a show about the inner workings of a pro-baseball team that happens to have the first female pro player in its ranks.

Like HeroLeague mentioned above, you kinda get the feeling the team consists of 3-4 players and any hints of on-going stories they've dropped for characters like Amelia or Oscar (who happen to be mains too) seem to be rooted in their love lives rather than their day-to-day actual work in the business. Or they apparently don't get any real on-going stories to begin with, look at how Dan managed to secure his job in a handful of scenes set during a single episode. And yes, of course they are only 4 episodes in and there should still be time for them to pick up speed on some of the levels they've been neglecting so far, but with the way things look now regarding the ratings... I don't know if that's going to make viewers more patient with the show.

On 10/15/2016 at 11:28 AM, peachmangosteen said:

I don't think it's a FOX thing. The EPs/writers/actors have been talking about a Mike/Ginny romance since before the show even aired. It's why I've been so confused by people saying they don't see it happening. The EPs have straight-up said that Mike/Ginny is happening.

But then I remember Fox's recent history regarding potential interracial romance, and I really don't put it past them to decide that the cure to their ratings woes is to kill Ginny in a car crash and build an entirely new show around trading Mike to the Washington Nationals.

• Love 8
45 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

But then I remember Fox's recent history regarding potential interracial romance, and I really don't put it past them to decide that the cure to their ratings woes is to kill Ginny in a car crash and build an entirely new show around trading Mike to the Washington Nationals.

Oh, the cynicism. I love it.  And agree.

• Love 5