Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: The Break

Tara Ariano

It's definitely an honor, but part of the honor is being there for the media day, the Red Carpet parade and the Home Run Derby... all of which happened BEFORE Blip was actually named to the team (or at least before he was able to get back to San Diego). Guys ARE named to the team as injury replacements (such as Aledmys Diaz, who made a "cameo" in this episode) but it usually happens by the time teams leave for the break. It's very unlikely that any player would already be all the way across the country on vacation with his family when he finds out. So that was definitely ramped up for the drama. But I do think that Blip handled it realistically, for a moment, and that the compromise was fair. You go, do this thing, but we aren't leaving vacation or dropping everything to support you this time. I liked that he went back (that's a lot of time on an airplane, Blip!) and reminded Evelyn that no, that really WASN'T his biggest moment of his life. 

Edited by rippleintime17
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, ahisma said:

I'm on the friendshipper train (and I thought Mike and Amelia were adorable in the "three phase" scene), but the music and shooting choices during the phone call were the first real warning signs for me that Fox might really be thinking of going romance.

I don't think it's a FOX thing. The EPs/writers/actors have been talking about a Mike/Ginny romance since before the show even aired. It's why I've been so confused by people saying they don't see it happening. The EPs have straight-up said that Mike/Ginny is happening.

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I don't think it's a FOX thing. The EPs/writers/actors have been talking about a Mike/Ginny romance since before the show even aired. It's why I've been so confused by people saying they don't see it happening. The EPs have straight-up said that Mike/Ginny is happening.

Exactly! They said when they first announced the casting of the pilot  that they were going there with Mike and Ginny. I think people are acting blissfully ignorant to all the hints during scenes they've been throwing out. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Oh wow really? I don't follow the media on this show. So I had no idea the EP/writers came right out and said there would be a Mike/Ginny romance. 

Oh joy I can see it now a triangle of soap operatic proportions eating this show (because lets be real, their other storylines really aren't that strong) when Mike makes a move on Ginny. Or gasps she finds out he's doing Amelia.

I guess that's a wrap for me because I have zero interest in seeing this type of story play out on this show, which is exactly where the writers are going with Amelia already in Mike's bed and him making googly eyes at and midnight calls to Ginny. 

• Love 6
On 10/13/2016 at 10:23 PM, SimoneS said:

I enjoyed that episode a lot. I felt for Ginny and her mother...

I thought Mike was calling Amelia, but guess I shouldn't have been surprised that it is Ginny that he reaches out to when he needs emotional comfort. I like Amelia so I hope that she doesn't fall for him.

Blip was an ass, but I was surprised that he didn't throw it in Evelyn's face that it was his huge salary that was giving them this affluent lifestyle.

Yes.  I enjoyed this episode too and like how the stuff with Ginny and her mother didn't put either them totally in the wrong, just showed a complicated relationship.  Exacerbated by her asshat dad.  God, what a piece of work.

But I have to disagree about Blip making a clapback.  Evelyn didn't marry a big timey star baseball player with a lot of money.  She married a nobody who slogged his way through the minors making very little money.  She is as much a part of his success as he is.  In the last ep during his slump, her going through such lengths to replace his P-Funk shirt because it means so much to him, is a testment to that.  I was completely on her side and I loved that his face, while she was making her speech, said that he was too.  I love their relationship it feels really strong and healthy.  Between these two and Randall & Beth on This Is Us, I am swooning over how much I love these couples.

On 10/14/2016 at 10:52 AM, ClareWalks said:

At first I was like "Ginny, WTF, you are being a bibbity-bobbity-BRAT to your mom and her new boyfriend." Then the flashback, and I'm like "oh SNAP, you've been dating Eddie Winslow for decades, you trollop!"

Ha!  I love this line.  Made me snort laugh.

I really loved Ginny's sick face during the home run derby.  Her anxiety was palpable.

Glad Oscar got a good subplot.  It is the most interesting hes been and you finally see him being GM.

And the last phone call... whew.  They are really telegraphing how much Mike likes Ginny.  He may not realize it even, but it is there.  If TPTB aren't going the Mike/Ginny route then they are teasing like crazy or M-PG didn't get the memo.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Enero said:

Oh wow really? I don't follow the media on this show. So I had no idea the EP/writers came right out and said there would be a Mike/Ginny romance.

I don't think they said it straight out.  Rather, with Hollywood speak, it has pretty much been acknowledged that he's her love interest.  First, through the casting notice of Mike Lawson A ladies’ man off the field and a leader on it, Mike is not sure what to do with the undeniable spark between him and Ginny, the first female MLB player who joins his team. Skeptical of her at first, he still can’t help but show her the ropes and over time, they’ll bring new meaning to the term, “team chemistry.”  And then at a panel in Austin in June, the moderator asked the question and Kylie agreed that it was hinted at in the pilot.  The showrunners agreed that there was chemistry but there were obstacles. I think even slow burn was mentioned but I don't recall. And I think one said they weren't committed yet but he got talked over.

So I don't get the sense that it's necessarily going to happen soon.  In fact, I got the opposite impression.  And sometimes things like this change, especially if the chemistry doesn't hold up.  I've seen it happen before so it's always possible they'll change direction up until they actually go there.  But given the fact that they're giving these two significant scenes in every episode so far, I still think their original plan is the plan and that's how they see these two characters.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I think even slow burn was mentioned but I don't recall.

It was. Which, after that phone call scene, if this is a slow burn then I would like to see what a fast burn is to them lol.

Personally I love Mike/Ginny so I'm fine with it. In fact I hope they forget about the slow burn because this show is likely to be canceled and I want to get Mike/Ginny before it is.

• Love 7
On 10/14/2016 at 6:04 PM, miracole said:

Ginny totally did have a Mike Lawson poster over her bed.

In her hotel room? Or when did she get an apartment? I missed that. 

On 10/13/2016 at 10:28 PM, mtlchick said:

That said, I kind of wished she had told her mom "I saw this, I didn't know how to react but I get it now."

I agree. Even if she couldn't articulate her feelings as a child, she's an adult now. Her mother deserves to know why Ginny suddenly pulled away from her and has been distant for 10+ years. Does that mean that the mom and Eddie Winslow have been dating for 10 + years? 

16 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

The type of chill which took over the Baker household, with a patriarch like Ginny's dad?  He would never let Ginny get away with not fessing up about what happened.  Even if I could buy she would have kept that secret, I find it impossible to buy that she would have kept quiet when the divorce happened - she would have had Daddy's back allllll the way at that point.

I don't think the dad would have noticed--or cared about any distance between Ginny and her mother. He was so focused on baseball and Ginny's development as a baseball player that nothing else mattered. I feel bad that Ginny's brother wasn't even those family flashback scenes. After the Slap, did they send him off to boarding school? 

And I don't think Ginny's parents ever got a divorce. Ginny's mother said something along the line of "I lost my husband after the car accident but he was already gone long before that." I think she meant that figuratively and not litterally--I think he was aloof, distant, and all-about baseball, which harmed their marriage. 

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, topanga said:

In her hotel room? Or when did she get an apartment? I missed that.

In her bedroom at home, in one of the flashback scenes.  She told Lawson about it after she gets called up in the first episode.

I wonder now if we will get some flashback where we find out her father wanted to play professional baseball, but had to abandon his dream for some reason - injury, having to drop out of school to support the family - and that's why he pushed Ginny so hard, to make up for what he lost.

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 1

I was thinking about this while driving to pick up my niece over in the Universal Studios area today:

If Blip's family was so keen on going to Disney World why didn't they wait another year?  Because next year's ASG is in Miami which would be so much closer then San Diego was.  Unless he's not that great (relative I know) of a player to begin with.

1 hour ago, jennifer6973 said:

If Blip's family was so keen on going to Disney World why didn't they wait another year?  Because next year's ASG is in Miami which would be so much closer then San Diego was.  Unless he's not that great (relative I know) of a player to begin with.

The important part wasn't the all star game or the location of the game but the four day break Blip would get by not being in the all star game.  If he makes it next year, they would be closer to Disneyworld but it wouldn't be a family vacation. It'd turn into Evelyn taking the kids to the park while Blip did all the hoopla that surrounds the ASG.  If he doesn't make it, it'd essentially be the same situation they're in now. They'd be doing a San Diego to FL trip within the four day break.

• Love 3

Blip's family also could have gone to Disney World in November. The point was that it's rare for a ballplayer to have enough time off in season to go on a family vacation and Blip not making the All-Star team meant that he would be able to. Admittedly, going all the way to Orlando seemed pretty ambitious for such a short span of time. 

Where did Ginny grow up again? It seemed a liiiittle weird that she only had one ballplayer's poster on her wall, and that it was someone who played for a team that wasn't her hometown team (I don't think). It's not super odd that kids are fans of players who play on other teams, especially with coverage so widespread these days, but that he was the only one? I wonder if they'll ever explore why she liked him specifically.

She's from Tarboro, NC.  She had a Braves poster or something near her bedroom door.  But if she was like me as a kid, she had her favorite team and favorite players from other teams (which Mike probably was.

Edited by jennifer6973
  • Love 1

Oh, I forgot to mention -- I loved that awfully awkward dinner scene.  Ginny was mad about her mom and Eddie Winslow and nervous about the game.  Poor Eddie Winslow was trying to connect with Ginny by unwittingly using the worst possible gambit: her dead dad.  Poor Amelia and Mike were such bad actors about not knowing each other, that is was only the other drama that stopped everyone else from see through them.  Plus they were terrible at smoothing over the tension.  And finally, everyone else left in a huff and Mike was left to pay the bill.  His final line "You think they staged that so we'd have to pay?"  was the capper.  MPG is pitch perfect in this.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 11

If they wanted Ginny to get romantically involved with a teammate, I wish they had chosen someone closer to her age. It's just squicky as hell that he's her mentor if he's also going to be her lover.

On 10/15/2016 at 2:12 PM, doram said:

TheCW are notorious for avoiding interracial romances

What? Jane The Virgin has Jane in an interracial marriage. Crazy Ex Girlfriend centers on an interracial attraction/obsession.

• Love 4

I resisted for awhile, but I think I am coming around to Mike/Ginny. The age difference is a little off putting, but they do have a lot of chemistry, and they seem to really get each other. It seems like they want to do a slow burn, but it does seem like they're heading for the Mike/Ginny thing, so I can go with it as long as they make the pairing believable. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, piequinn35 said:

Oh ok, there will be obstacles before Mike and Ginny end up together, a love square, the new catcher coming to town and what will Ginny do when she finds out about Mike/Amelia.

Who cares what Ginny's opinion is about Mike & Amelia? (I'm asking the universe, not you). As Mike said, they're consenting adults, and it's not as if Amelia has fallen down on on her agent duties because she's been hanging out/hooking up/Neflix and chillin' with Mike (or whatever you kids call it these days). 

I'm trying not to 'ship Mike and Ginny, but the actors have great chemistry and are really selling their burgeoning friendship. I just hope we don't end up with a "Saved By the Bell" situation, where Zack kisses Lisa in one episode, and then they never talk about it again. 

• Love 10

I really like the Mike/Ginny relationship so I am dreading the inevitable fight when Ginny finds out Amelia and Mike have been screwing and not telling her. I hate storylines around unnecessary secrets.

And I realize it is unpopular but Mike/Ginny have insane chemistry. I wouldn't mind them dating. 

• Love 4

I'm going to preface this with a disclaimer - I'm a HUGE hockey fan, so that's largely my frame of reference for pro sports. Things may not be quite the same in baseball.

On 10/15/2016 at 2:28 AM, Falafel said:

But yeah, going on vacation in the middle of a baseball season also didn't seem to make sense to me either.

NHL players do use the hockey all-star break to go on vacation, family or otherwise. Twitter abounds with photos of non-all-stars going to tropical places for a few days.

On 10/16/2016 at 11:01 AM, rippleintime17 said:

Where did Ginny grow up again? It seemed a liiiittle weird that she only had one ballplayer's poster on her wall, and that it was someone who played for a team that wasn't her hometown team (I don't think). It's not super odd that kids are fans of players who play on other teams, especially with coverage so widespread these days, but that he was the only one? I wonder if they'll ever explore why she liked him specifically.

Children all over Canada worship Sidney Crosby, and he plays in Pittsburgh. I would not be surprised in the least if many of those kids only have his poster (or only Ovechkin, or only Lundqvist, etc.) and no hometown team posters.

• Love 1

I don't read the recaps, don't follow the media, don't know what the showrunners/tptb say/imply because I want to enjoy the show and chew the fat afterward.

That in mind, I say the following as a total fan/sucker for a May-December romance AND crush/celebrity crush fantasies coming true (bonus for both):

No, I don't feel the slow burn between Mike and Ginny and no, I don't want that to be anything but a mentor-protegee relationship. If they go there, I'm out because it feels forced and I was VERY disappointed Mike called Ginny and not Amelia. Amelia is a much better match for him emotionally and I find myself thinking of this as Mike's story, not Ginny's. Notice: He didn't have a problem showing his physical weakness to Amelia, which is not something you do with someone who is not firmly in your professional camp and is telling of a more emotional bond. He also laid out his life plans to her. You don't do that with a fling/one night stand.

I just can't.

Edited by Mojeaux
  • Love 7

Put me as one who loved the way that Blip and Evelyn handled the vacation/ASG.  Yes, it's a great honor to be named (especially since he got edged out by Ginny). But the boys were excited about the vacation, so it was realistic that Evelyn took them.  Real couples fight, real good couples listen to each other, resolve the problems, and move on.

Poor Fox.  ABC has the Disney parks, CBS has the Universal Studio parks (one in northern LA and a series of parks in Orlando), Fox doesn't even have Knott's Berry Farm!

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 5
On 10/17/2016 at 3:02 PM, topanga said:

Who cares what Ginny's opinion is about Mike & Amelia? (I'm asking the universe, not you). As Mike said, they're consenting adults, and it's not as if Amelia has fallen down on on her agent duties because she's been hanging out/hooking up/Neflix and chillin' with Mike (or whatever you kids call it these days).

Well Amelia seems to think it'd matter.  I'm not sure I agree but it's the reason why she wanted to keep it secret.  And as an agent, it's something she should be concerned about because Ginny has the power right now in the agent/client relationship.  Ginny's hot.  She could easily find another agent, a good agent at a big firm, who could help monetize her success.  That wasn't always the case and it won't always be the case but right now?  It is.  And a smart agent would avoid doing anything that would lead Ginny to think about agent shopping.

Let's say Mike is right about Ginny and that she wouldn't bothered by it.  Now they've added on the complicating factor that they've been lying to her about how well they know one another.  In their effort to keep the fact that they're sleeping together hidden, they've almost gone too far in pretending how little they know one another.  They certainly could have let on that they had gotten a chance to talk/been friendly without revealing the full extent of the relationship.  So even if Ginny had been okay with them sleeping together, they've unintentionally played her for a fool by lying to her. 

22 hours ago, Mojeaux said:

INotice: He didn't have a problem showing his physical weakness to Amelia, which is not something you do with someone who is not firmly in your professional camp and is telling of a more emotional bond. He also laid out his life plans to her. You don't do that with a fling/one night stand.

Sure you can do that with a fling or fuck buddy.  I don't know what the show's plans are for them other than the fact that they're clearly not just a one off.  But I wouldn't call any of their scenes as deep or even establishing emotional intimacy.  His plans after retirement aren't unusual for a sports star and talking about them isn't exceptionally revealing nor did he come off as super vulnerable.  Hell,  he appeared more vulnerable with his manager/agent or whoever that guy was.  However, the scene he had with his ex where he said he wanted her back and missed talking to someone at night?  Now that managed to establish emotional intimacy in a very brief scene. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Put me as one who loved the way that Blip and Evelyn handled the vacation/ASG.  Yes, it's a great honor to be named (especially since he got edged out by Ginny). But the boys were excited about the vacation, so it was realistic that Evelyn took them.  Real couples fight, real good couples listen to each other, resolve the problems, and move on.

Poor Fox.  ABC has the Disney parks, CBS has the Universal Studio parks (one in northern LA and a series of parks in Orlando), Fox doesn't even have Knott's Berry Farm!

NBC has Universal Parks, CBS used to own the Paramount Parks like Kings Dominion in VA and Kings Island in Ohio

• Love 2
On 10/18/2016 at 0:40 PM, Mojeaux said:

That in mind, I say the following as a total fan/sucker for a May-December romance AND crush/celebrity crush fantasies coming true (bonus for both):

First Eddie Winslow is dating her mother and now Ginny/Mike is May-December romance? I feel old, Pitch. Clearly time for phase two. 

• Love 2

I hear ya, jenrising

Ginny's mother and Eddie Winslow look weird together, even though Darius McCray is 40 and her mom can't be older than her early 50s.

Ginny and Mike Lawson don't look weird together--physically, anyway. Maybe it's because Ginny is more mature than the 23-year olds I know IRL. Not that they're all that immature. They're just...23. As my grandmother used to say, they're still pissing on themselves. I know Kylie Bunbury (Ginny) is 27, but Ginny is a character who's been making adult decisions and managing her career for years.  Which has the potential to make her more mature than her peers. To me, the 13-year age difference between her and Mike doesn't seem as creepy. And Mark-Paul Gosselaar is 42!

I'm more concerned about the awkwardness of them being teammates and playing the roles of mentor-mentee . If they do end up together, won't Mike always be in a position of authority in their relationship, even if they both insist that it isn't true?

• Love 5

And sometimes things like this change, especially if the chemistry doesn't hold up.  I've seen it happen before so it's always possible they'll change direction up until they actually go there.  But given the fact that they're giving these two significant scenes in every episode so far, I still think their original plan is the plan and that's how they see these two characters.

Well if thats their original plan, it sucks. I thought this show was going to be about the first female baseball player and baseball. clearly I was misled by their pre-season promotion. Im not here for Ginny and a creepy 40 year old guy romance drama. Its not just that I dislike this potential romance but that the show has taken a sudden turn and ramping up the focus on this two.

Seeing the ratings erosion, I cant say I feel sorry for the show anymore. Its seems to be losing sight of the story its wanted to tell.

Edited by DCLeague
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, DCLeague said:

Seeing the ratings erosion, I cant say I feel sorry for the show anymore. Its seems to be losing sight of the story its wanted to tell.

Hate to say it, but that's the impression I'm getting as well. I loved the Pilot, the second episode worked quite well for me too... but since then the show has definitely slowly moved away from the story it originally promised to tell a bit more with every new episode and I don't get the feeling that trend's about to come to an end. It's rather disappointing, really, because they have a great cast, the characters they initially introduced us to are likeable and interesting enough and the production setup supports a show that could live up to its initial promise as well, but the quality of the writing is eroding along with the ratings. It already feels to soap-ish for my taste on a whole number of levels, not just with regards to the whole Mike and Ginny dynamic, and I don't have the patience, let alone any real passion, for that. Maybe I'll binge it once the season is over, but right now my enthusiasm for new episodes is already fairly low - at least as far as live watching is concerned - and I find myself already mourning the potential instead of assuming they'll somehow manage to turn this thing around well enough to raise both quality and ratings again.

• Love 3
On 10/19/2016 at 2:46 AM, Irlandesa said:

Sure you can do that with a fling or fuck buddy.  I don't know what the show's plans are for them other than the fact that they're clearly not just a one off.  But I wouldn't call any of their scenes as deep or even establishing emotional intimacy.  His plans after retirement aren't unusual for a sports star and talking about them isn't exceptionally revealing nor did he come off as super vulnerable.  Hell,  he appeared more vulnerable with his manager/agent or whoever that guy was. However, the scene he had with his ex where he said he wanted her back and missed talking to someone at night?  Now that managed to establish emotional intimacy in a very brief scene.

Agreed. I don't think he's been emotionally intimate with anyone except the ex-wife. However, I do think the potential is there for more with Amelia. As someone stated up thread, they're running at the same speed. She's gone through a divorce. He's going through a divorce. She's completely uprooted her career and started over. He might be about to do the same. They're both very grown, have some mileage and are mature. There is commonality in where they are in their lives and their experiences, and thus the potential for a real connection. 

• Love 4

I thought they said from the beginning that this show was going to be as much a workplace drama as about Ginny's journey. In that sense, I don't mind that Ginny and Mike might eventually get together because it will create plot once Ginny's been playing for awhile. Once she's settled in, and is accepted more, there will need to be something to fuel the story. And seeing as one of my best friends met her now husband and father of her two toddlers when she was 23 and he was 37, it's hard for me to see a huge issue with that aspect too.

• Love 2
On 10/14/2016 at 11:59 PM, In2You said:

I keep seeing people mentioning football effecting the ratings but honestly how many football fans would be tuning into this show?

See that just added another element of skeevy by reminding us he was a grown ass man when she was a young teen girl.

I watch football and DVR this. I DVR everything but football. This is one of my favorite pilots so I hope it isn't canceled.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, DCLeague said:

I thought this show was going to be about the first female baseball player and baseball. clearly I was misled by their pre-season promotion.

11 hours ago, RedKeep said:

but since then the show has definitely slowly moved away from the story it originally promised to tell a bit more with every new episode and I don't get the feeling that trend's about to come to an end.

I am really confused by this sentiment. I get not liking a potential relationship. I get not liking subsequent episodes of a show.  But while there are other characters they give stories to in this ensemble, I don't see how this show is about anything other than mainly Ginny's journey as a baseball player, young woman and star. How has this show moved away from its original premise of being about the first female baseball player?  The second episode focused on Ginny's relationship with her brother, why she chose to go with Amelia as an agent, and the pressures put on her by being one of the "first" woman to do something.  The third episode focused on how things went wrong when she did date a player and how she earned her team's trust by engaging in a beanball war.  The third episode focused on her relationship with her mother and the costs her success as a baseball player took on her family in ways she didn't see as a child.

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I am really confused by this sentiment. I get not liking a potential relationship. I get not liking subsequent episodes of a show.  But while there are other characters they give stories to in this ensemble, I don't see how this show is about anything other than mainly Ginny's journey as a baseball player, young woman and star. How has this show moved away from its original premise of being about the first female baseball player?  The second episode focused on Ginny's relationship with her brother, why she chose to go with Amelia as an agent, and the pressures put on her by being one of the "first" woman to do something.  The third episode focused on how things went wrong when she did date a player and how she earned her team's trust by engaging in a beanball war.  The third episode focused on her relationship with her mother and the costs her success as a baseball player took on her family in ways she didn't see as a child.

The show has been focusing very little on the actual game and more on Ginny's drama with her family and dating life.  I think that's what people mean when it feels like they moved away from this premise. The way they write this show Ginny could be playing any sport because they focus so little on the actual games.  I really didn't care why she chose Amelia as a an agent. I wanted to see more of how Ginny plays the game. See what made her worthy of entering the minors and making it to the big leagues to play among the best of the best. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, In2You said:

I wanted to see more of how Ginny plays the game. See what made her worthy of entering the minors and making it to the big leagues to play among the best of the best. 

Okay. I  guess I don't know baseball well enough but how would a show tell a drama about baseball games week after week even if there weren't logistical issues (and I do think there are)?  For instance, legal shows have different cases, medical shows have different diseases and cop shows have different mysteries.  Even with those, there are romantic, familial and social issues involved.

What kinds of stories could they tell with a game?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Okay. I  guess I don't know baseball well enough but how would a show tell a drama about baseball games week after week even if there weren't logistical issues (and I do think there are)?  For instance, legal shows have different cases, medical shows have different diseases and cop shows have different mysteries.  Even with those, there are romantic, familial and social issues involved.

When I think of baseball, I think of the basics--pitch, hit, run, throw. What kinds of stories could they tell within a game?

11 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

What kinds of stories could they tell with a game?

I'm not saying you can't mix in other issues but the other issues on this show take up 90% of the show and then they dedicate a short amount of time to these players actually on the field. 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

See what made her worthy of entering the minors and making it to the big leagues to play among the best of the best. 

That's been rather glossed over in the first few episodes, to be sure.  If she's 23, and has spent 5 years in the minors, then she would have been drafted by a major league team right out of high school, and sent either to A or AA ball.  That in itself would have initially created huge media interest, at least for her first few seasons, and, locally at least, she would have been in the paper constantly.  Yet, the show implies that she labored rather anonymously in the minors until being called up midway through the season.  More backstory, please, if only a little at a time.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

That's been rather glossed over in the first few episodes, to be sure.  If she's 23, and has spent 5 years in the minors, then she would have been drafted by a major league team right out of high school, and sent either to A or AA ball.  That in itself would have initially created huge media interest, at least for her first few seasons, and, locally at least, she would have been in the paper constantly.  Yet, the show implies that she labored rather anonymously in the minors until being called up midway through the season.  More backstory, please, if only a little at a time.

I didn't get that impression at all the reason Amelia quits her job is because she sees a national story on her and that appears to be a few years before she got called up and in the meeting with her brother and Amelia it's shown that she is a big deal locally.

Edited by biakbiak

"Local papers" is that still a thing? I can see here first appearance getting attention but afterwards not much of anything, vertainly not following her team as she takes her turn in the pitching rotation, unless she makes the big show. Sure there will be a few superfans around. Just as they are with minor league car races, arena football, the NBA development leagues and other club sports

On 10/19/2016 at 2:46 AM, Irlandesa said:

She could easily find another agent, a good agent at a big firm, who could help monetize her success.

That's how Amelia got to be Ginny's agent in the first place -- by moving from a long-term contract with Big Eddy's Kingdom of Sofas (or whatever) to better, and better-paying deals.

13 hours ago, In2You said:

I'm not saying you can't mix in other issues but the other issues on this show take up 90% of the show and then they dedicate a short amount of time to these players actually on the field. 

This last episode had the All-Star Game, and who would or would not play, and the Cuban catcher.  That was a lot more than 10%.

• Love 4

It will be nice to eventually get to know a few more players. Right now, all we really see is the three that are focused on, Tommy and his friend who make snarky comments and point things out and the Korean who got sent back down. I think as the show goes on, we will get to know more simply because there will be more room to explore as the other storylines settle in.

18 hours ago, jhlipton said:

That's how Amelia got to be Ginny's agent in the first place -- by moving from a long-term contract with Big Eddy's Kingdom of Sofas (or whatever) to better, and better-paying deals.

This last episode had the All-Star Game, and who would or would not play, and the Cuban catcher.  That was a lot more than 10%.

We knew Mike and Ginny would play so there was barely that. There was never any doubt in the audience minds that they would not play.  And of course they went the predictable way and Blip got to play too. Ginny's drama with her mom took up most of the episode with lots of unnecessary flashbacks.

I thought they said from the beginning that this show was going to be as much a workplace drama as about Ginny's journey.

Except Im not seeing much of a workplace drama, there has been a shift in the last 2 episodes. With the show forgetting they are other Padres players other than Ginny and Mike. OK there is still a bit of Blip but not enough. The coaches have been forgotten. Eliott is one the main cast yet he is seriously neglected. There is damn too much focus on Mike, he has pretty much inserted himself in every part of Ginny's journey, writers you are failing the character of Ginny Baker and squandering the importance of this show!. 

tumblr_m574y11hoE1r317bvo1_500.gif

Edited by DCLeague
  • Love 2