Type keyword(s) to search

Donald John Trump: 2016 President-Elect

4 hours ago, Lunata said:

I vividly recall nearly a full year of right wing conservative sign waving and chanting 'lock her up!' and 'build that wall!' and I vividly remember a young black man being sucker punched with an elbow at a Trump rally. I don't know about anyone else but I personally consider that hysteria of the most dangerous kind. If anyone has appeared to you as 'hysterical' here it's possible that you're mistaking fear for hysteria. Those are two emotions that may be related but are individually unmistakable.

"cuckservative" is a word I've never seen or heard so I don't know where in this forum you've read it.

I have a lot of friends and relatives that were supportive of Trump at the time of the election but they're smart and they're sensitive to the fact that I was not. Subsequently, they respect my opinion and never dared to gloat or throw it in my face that Trump won the election. Such is the way with sensitive, intelligent people that show respect for others. Conversely, there are those who people either are related to, or friends with, that are insensitive, disrespectful and downright cruel. They have no care at all for their relative or friend and in that manner have earned the way they're disowned as family or friend.

About Israel. Are you aware that in September, President Obama agreed to give Israel a 10 year package for $38 billion dollars in military aid? Prime Minister Netanyahu wasn't happy with that deal, there were too many restrictions attached to Israel getting that 38 million. Those include Israel's agreement not to seek additional funds from Congress beyond what will be guaranteed annually in the new package, and also to phase out a special arrangement that has allowed Israel to spend part of its U.S. aid on its own defense industry instead of on American-made weapons. The deal, known as a memorandum of understanding, or MOU, calls for at least $3.8 billion a year in aid, up from $3.1 billion annually under the current pact, which expires in 2018, officials say. Netanyahu had originally sought upwards of $4.5 billion a year. Netanyahu decided it would be best to forge a new arrangement with Obama, who leaves office in January, rather than hoping for better terms from the Trump administration. Let me ask, why is the United States indebted to Israel for any financial assistance whatsoever? Why does Netanyahu feel we owe them anything? 

In return, Netanyahu has metaphorically spit in President Obama's face. Netanyahu has criticized John Kerry as having 'the intellect of a 12-year old' and accused President Obama of being anti-Semetic, among other things. All this while Netanyahu breaks treaties and boldly annexes international lands to establish Jewish settlements. So you know what? Fuck Netyanhu too, how dare he feel he has any right to just do what the hell he wants to do no matter who he screws or talks shit about.

Serious question since I am woefully uneducated about the Israel situation. Asking either @Lunata or anyone else who might know, what kind of support does Netanyahu have in his own country? I am thinking about how divided we are here in the US and it made me wonder. Thanks in advance.

• Love 1
On 12/29/2016 at 0:19 PM, Padma said:

I -did- get a laugh when Trump said he's going to write his own inaugural address, taking inspiration from Reagan and JFK.  Oh, yes, please.

With crayons, no doubt. 

Nope, on Twitter.

Good point. Just the visual of Drumpf reading his Inaugural speech on his iPhone would be comedy gold. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Lunata said:

Add to that; "had to be rich and white, emotionally unstable, mentally distorted with NPD, lives at the bottom of a black hole that never gets filled and wanted to commit incest with his own daughter. Capable of inciting riots, releasing massive amounts of hatred and fear and prefers to defend enemies of the United States instead of standing up for it." Who needs scholarly, wise, intelligent, composed, articulate and rational when we can have someone like Trump?

As someone already referenced - they BOTH had to be male. Hillary had to be perfect in every possible way or she'd be criticized and she still "lost."

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, callmebetty said:

In all seriousness,  are Trump supporters really ok with being part of Russia? Even the true blooded Murican ones who proudly wave their flag and USA is #1 and loved Reagan etc etc? Really this is fine?

well, if Russia can help get rid of the muslims and bring jobs back, of course they are ok with it! #MAGA

:-P

forgot to add.......Russia can probably help black lives not matter so much, because black people are annoying when they get killed and stuff. yeah. blech 

Edited by Lana X
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, callmebetty said:

In all seriousness,  are Trump supporters really ok with being part of Russia? Even the true blooded Murican ones who proudly wave their flag and USA is #1 and loved Reagan etc etc? Really this is fine?

See GOP Congressman Dana Rohrabacher, Reagan speechwriter who has been all over Putin's jock of late.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, DollEyes said:

Good point. Just the visual of Drumpf reading his Inaugural speech on his iPhone would be comedy gold. 

donald: this text is not bigly enough

kellyanne: what he means to say is he probably needs glasses, America

donald: my fellow comr- ahem....my fellow Americans...

Kellyanne: *says lowly* we all make mistakes. just keep going.

• Love 9

I guess it's time for my new career. Introducing the comic styling of Jackoff Greygoose.

"In my country, you talk about alt-right, I think if you like goose stepping it's altright with me" Snort snort.

"They say that Hillary's emails were hacked, in my country they call that Party supervision. " Snort snort. Haha.

I'm available for any Soros parties being planned.

*I know these are horrible jokes I'm doing my best.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Lana X said:

CNN bugs the craaaaap out of me. they have to always have two sides to every issue. 'oh, white superemacy? let's debate this! gotta hear all sides!"

whatever. CNN use to be really good and then.......man. i dont know what happened.

do other networks do the 'two sides to every issue" thing?? 

This is precisely why I've switched my allegiance to MSNBC and BBC. 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, callmebetty said:

I guess it's time for my new career. Introducing the comic styling of Jackoff Greygoose.

"In my country, you talk about alt-right, I think if you like goose stepping it's altright with me" Snort snort.

"They say that Hillary's emails were hacked, in my country they call that Party supervision. " Snort snort. Haha.

humor and alcohol: the only things that will keep us somewhat sane for the next 4 years 

• Love 14
22 hours ago, rcc said:

That happened to a co-worker of mine. She and her husband went to France and since she is part Canadian she could speak French. They told everyone they were Canadian. She didn't want any problems if they admitted to being American. Sad but true.

We went to Paris last year and were treated very kindly by the French shopkeepers, restaurant staff, etc., (and they knew we were Americans).  However, whenever we've visited the Maritime Provinces we could always count on a snarky comment about America.  

• Love 2
1 minute ago, annzeepark914 said:

We went to Paris last year and were treated very kindly by the French shopkeepers, restaurant staff, etc., (and they knew we were Americans).  However, whenever we've visited the Maritime Provinces we could always count on a snarky comment about America.  

lucky.  had a horrible experience in Paris when i went. got a lot of impatient sighs and eye rolling. just remember thinking "damn dude. did your dog die this morning or something??'

My dad said the french are known for not liking americans.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, callmebetty said:

I know, it takes a while to wrap your head around it but as much as it sounds like a conspiracy theory we really do have to defend our actual country against being taken over by traitors, clueless and otherwise. All that flag waving "God Bless America" stuff is even more of a lie than it always seemed to be. The only part of America they like is their little cult--not that it's really a big leap. They've been waving anti-American battle flags and threatening to shoot the government for a while now. It's funny to think that they've even impressed Putin with it--remember when Trump went after the Khans he thought he was finished but no, they'd stab George Washington in the back if he pulled that "Here's what's actually in the Constitution" shit.

13 minutes ago, callmebetty said:

My favorite was Kate McKinnon as Merkel on SNL: "In your country you call them the alt-right. In my country we call them "Why Grandpapa has to live in Argentina now."

• Love 16

remember when Trump went after the Khans he thought he was finished but no, they'd stab George Washington in the back if he pulled that "Here's what's actually in the Constitution" shit.

I dont know. if the constitution is online, they may believe it. :-P

Founding fathers need to revive for a bit and join twitter 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, shok said:

Love Ta-Nehisi.

LC03ZCFsUoAAXp4T.jpg

I love Coates too, but HRC was rich and white -- and female - that's the difference, imo. Misogyny fueled every moment of this election. If HRC had been male, we'd be celebrating his coming administration right now.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 12
31 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I wouldn't take it too personally - those Maritimers hate everybody, eh.  ;-)

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, Lana X said:

lucky.  had a horrible experience in Paris when i went. got a lot of impatient sighs and eye rolling. just remember thinking "damn dude. did your dog die this morning or something??'

This isn't necessarily the case. I go to France often, including Paris as well as more rural areas, and have never once been treated poorly. I speak fluent French, so I imagine that helps, but they definitely know that I'm American. I've also gone there with colleagues and friends who don't speak a word of French and they haven't had any issues and have been treated well, as have colleagues and friends who have gone there on their own without knowing a word a French. 

What the French seem to take exception to are obnoxious Americans (like Trump, for example). They are aware that some Americans think that they are all snobby, pretentious and rude. That is just not the case. They are also aware that some believe certain stereotypes about them, like they don't bathe regularly and that the term "French shower" is used to describe a person who just puts on extra perfume/cologne rather than take a shower or a bath. They also get offended when Americans (or anyone, really) starts treating them as if they're stupid because they don't speak English (or don't speak it very well) or if they shout at them thinking that will make a difference. They don't expect everyone to speak French, but they also don't want people to get frustrated and upset and stereotype them as it just isn't fair. Americans, or any other group, don't think its fair to stereotype either so we should be careful not be hypocritical and assume that all the French dislike Americans. Are there some snobby, pretentious French people? Sure. Are there some snobby, pretentious American people? Of course. It goes both ways and you'll find different personality types wherever you go, but the majority of people that I come across, and I've been around the world and back at this point, are kind, helpful and respectful. As I mentioned in a previous post, I run into more issues in certain countries because I'm female rather than the fact that I'm American (and British as well, but born and raised in the US). 

I can say that, in general, the French, and those I have come across in other countries, definitely do dislike Trump, however, and they know that he does not represent the majority of Americans and what we stand for. They are fearful and concerned just as we are as they know whatever he does will have a global impact. 

• Love 11
48 minutes ago, Lana X said:

That is true. France for some reason seems to give Americans a hard time in service related venues.

• Love 3

I took a few days off to hang out with my husband, my dogs, to watch something less stressful (I chose a BBC drama called Paranoid, by contrast, it was incredibly relaxing).   I'm glad I did. 

So Tweety Turd has been up to his infantile antics again, I see.   Please, everyone, enjoy New Year's Eve with all your be-happy-while-you-still-can-might. 

It's an interesting question to think about.  I disagree that the two aren't comparable--heh, since I just compared them.  I think a good old fashioned debate would revolve around constitutionally protected classes, discrimination, states' rights and "best interests of society" arguments.

Okay, so once again, here's why it isn't comparable on any level:  Bakers who object to baking cakes for people based on a disapproval of the couple's sexual identity and a truly creepy fixation on what that entails.  Do they obsess equally about what straight people do in bed...'cause bakers o' the world, boy do I have some freaky news for you...you're already baking wedding cakes for people who get up to all sorts of things you claim to disapprove of on religious grounds, you'd best just go find a different career if your fixation with others bits and parts is really at the root of this stuff.

So the bakers wanting to discriminate blindly, against people they do not know anything about, other than their obsessions and fixations on their sex lives is actual discrimination.   A business can reserve the right to refuse business to anyone, but it has to be based on that individual, not some sweeping, "I don't like your kind".     It's the blanket application by type that makes something discriminatory practices which are illegal.  

The Rockette who basically said, "Yuck, I do not want to perform for Donald Trump" is stating an opinion based in disliking a particular individual.   She's also not saying, "I should have the right not to dance for someone I don't like!"  She's saying, "I do not like that I am going to dance for this man who has given me ample reason to dislike the hell out of him, as a person, as an individual." 

They are only comparable in the way that one illustrates discriminatory practices and the other illustrates a pointed dislike of a person, while still planning to do their job. 

In yet another sentence I thought I would never type because we live in those times.  NPR was kind enough to do a segment on where this rise of the use of the word "cuck" has come from and I'm sure you will all die of shock to learn that it is yet another gift from the alt-right, Ayran Nation, White Supremacist, Hood-wearing, cross-burning segment of conservatism.  Link to the December 14th NPR podcast What the Cuck?  

For anyone who doesn't wish to listen to that, let me sum up:  It was adopted by the White Supremacists (I genuinely don't give a flying fuck what they wish to be called, that's what they are) from the term "cuckold" which is the derogatory term for the cheated upon spouse (the male) and it is meant to imply that if a man couldn't keep his wife at home, it was due to some deficiency on his part (yes, it's a sexist as hell term) and so it is meant to imply impotence and weakness.   Lack of virility, that sort of thing.  

ETA:  and before this one even gains traction, here's why the Mormon Choir singer's resignation is also not comparable.  She's actually resigned rather than do the thing that is against her conscience. 

The reason the baker-conscience-dilemma is not comparable to that is that these bakers are not saying, "My conscience and belief system demands that I cannot bake a wedding cake for a LBGTQ wedding, therefore, I have decided that I can no longer be a baker and am closing my business, to pursue something that won't ask me to compromise my values."   

The "Help! I need a prayer circle to help me with this terrible fate, oh Jesus!" bakers want to continue to run their businesses and profit from them while employing discriminatory practices.   Any of those bakers could have said, "No.  I cannot do that.  If the law demands that I must, then I would rather pursue another line of work."  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, callmebetty said:

They're great  -  " it's altright with me" made me laugh ; )  

That is true. France for some reason seems to give Americans a hard time in service related venues.

A couple of years ago, the French commerce minister gave a speech asking the French to be nicer to all tourists & rolled out an action plan to set that in motion, so it's not limited to Americans (although I bet they get the lion's share of resentment - "Voulez-vous des frites freedom, madame?")

Edited by film noire
  • Love 4

One thing a lot of travel has shown me is that people are people--mostly nice ones, occasionally rude ones--wherever you go in the world,  inc. in  your own county.   The problem with Trump is that he is the absolutely perfect cliché of the "Ugly American" abroad--a man who flaunts his wealth and is loud, brash, boorish, arrogant, who knows nothing of other cultures (and doesn't care that he doesn't) and who doesn't understand why everyone in the world can't communicate with him (as they should) in flawless English while he makes no effort at all with another country's language.  He's a loud-mouthed bully who thinks he should be catered to and fawned over at all times, and that he's better than others everywhere just because he's rich.

That is the quintessential stereotype of the "ugly American tourist" and for those of us who thought that stereotype had largely faded away (and that Obama--being classy, soft-spoken, a team-builder and somewhat globalist--has helped a bit with our image abroad), now we have a president who's brought the cliché back a thousand-fold (and, of course, will be very proud of it!)

A MTC member resigns in protest.  https://www.yahoo.com/news/mormon-tabernacle-choir-singer-quits-over-trump-inaugural-123210597.html

I hope she'll be okay. It's terrible to be genuinely afraid of your president and his supporters and what they might do to anyone who takes a public stand against him.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Lana X said:

do other networks do the 'two sides to every issue" thing?? 

I believe Fox News uses the republican side and the even more to the right republican side for every issue. 

I can't wait for the day when uncle Vlad decided he's done with Orangina.  I bet that will go over bigly. 

Edited by galaxygirl76
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, callmebetty said:

Who was the comic who did those jokes way back? Yakov Smirnoff? Something like that.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, film noire said:

I love Coates too, but HRC was rich and white -- and female - that's the difference, imo. Misogyny fueled every moment of this election. If HRC had been male, we'd be celebrating his coming administration right now.

I still think that at least part of the problem was that she would have been the first female POTUS following the first African-American POTUS.  Two big changes like that back to back were just too much for those who fear that the poor white men are being marginalized or some such shit.  

1 hour ago, stillshimpy said:

Okay, so once again, here's why it isn't comparable on any level:  Bakers who object to baking cakes for people based on a disapproval of the couple's sexual identity and a truly creepy fixation on what that entails.  Do they obsess equally about what straight people do in bed...'cause bakers o' the world, boy do I have some freaky news for you...you're already baking wedding cakes for people who get up to all sorts of things you claim to disapprove of on religious grounds, you'd best just go find a different career if your fixation with others bits and parts is really at the root of this stuff.

I have asked this so many times of people who support the bakers in these cases - why is it only gay weddings?  What about if a couple comes looking for a wedding cake and one or both of them has been married and divorced already?  Or a couple who is planning on having an "open" marriage?  A couple who has been living together "in sin" before marriage?  Pregnant bride?  An atheist couple?  A couple of different faiths?  There are so many engaged couples who could come looking for a wedding cake who are considered to be sinning based on how any one person interprets the Bible.  So why is it solely the same sex couples who it would be a sin for the baker to "participate" in the wedding by providing a cake (that is consumed at a party, not at any marital ceremony, typically)?   And the thing is, the couple almost certainly isn't receiving the Holy Sacrament of Matrimony, unless they've found a progressive church.  Most same sex marriages occur outside the church, and some may be spiritual, but are not a Priest bestowing the Sacrament.  So, they're applying their beliefs about the Sacrament to a legal entity, which is not the same thing.    (And that's also why churches are not legally required to bestow the Sacrament on any couple who comes calling if the church doesn't feel the couple aligns with the church's beliefs on Matrimony.)  

I remain amazed by how completely OK with Trump slobbering all over Putin his cult is.  It's amazing.  Before the election, a woman told me that she was voting for Trump because Putin said there would be war if Hillary won.  I said "so you're comfortable with a hostile foreign leader attempting to influence our electoral process like that?  And you think that it's in our country's best interests to deal with other nations from a position of fear?"  What happened to the "patriots" believing that we're the alpha dog of nations?  Now we have to kiss Putin's ass so he won't get mad at us?  When did this happen?  And when, in the name of all that is holy, did a dumpy orange 70 something year old man who rolls over for Putin and whose Daddy paid a doctor to get him excused from fighting for this country, become the alpha dog who is going to fight for our country?  Have I just been running a 104 fever for the past year+, and this shit has all been a fever dream?   

• Love 15
10 minutes ago, Lunata said:

This is warm and fuzzy, it's a very special invitation for the children of US diplomats to a special Kremlin Christmas and New Year's party.

kremlin.jpg

New proof that Trump really HAS won the War on Christmas!

• Love 7

Who wants the comic who did those jokes way back? Yakov Smirnoff? Something like that.

Yep, Yakov Smirnoff.  Thus Jackoff Greygoose.  (Smirnoff and Grey Goose both being vodka brands.)

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Pollock said:

Hi! Still French here!
For the most part, we don't like american politics in general (you know, ultra capitalism and all that... and sometimes resent it when some americans make jokes about us being lazy) and the way you seem to go to war on frequent bases in places of the world you have nothing to do (but we do the same so yeah.... at best, we suffer from a severe case of bad faith !).
Also, old school people resent what you call food because I'll be honest : we are super intense with our food. Case on point, war on McDonalds in my country. But we lost this one too (a french speciality, losing wars...) and we now binge burgers and bagels like any other country in the world.
But except for old farts still clinging on their view of the world from when the internet and international television didn't exist (and some legit traumas from the Liberation for some of them), we love America, we love american television and you are more than welcome to visit us! 
We cheared and cry of joy when Obama was elected the first time. We cried with you when Trump was elected. We are very afraid of the things to come too, for you and for the rest of the world.
Personally, as I said in my first post in this topic just after the election: I love your country and I love the people very much and I'm far far far far far from alone here. We are all very aware that if Trump is president, is really not a reflection of the majority. He's an historical accident.

Please, don't take it personally if a Parisian is not super kind. They're assholish sometimes, like your typical New-Yorker on tv. Being from the "province" (meaning from another part of the country... la province is everything BUT Paris), I have a hard time with them too! To put it in perspective, each time I visited different parts of your country, I had a marvellous time except when visiting San Francisco where I told my husband "damn, honey, we're in Paris!" because some of the restaurants waiters and even people guarding museums were on the verge of obnoxious. I still don't think all sanfranciscans (??) are assholes or all of them hate frenchies and I can't wait to go back for more (am I wrong?!).
On another note and selfishly : protect Yellowstone from Trump's people, we still have to visit it please and thank you!

Thank you very much! You explained it very well. I think a general rule to visit another country is like the rules on PTV forums : don't be an asshole. If you aren't, nobody will be with you!

I have never been to France, but I did just spend two weeks in Italy, and the Italians were wonderfully friendly, except in one town, Montecatini Terme. This town was downright snobby, to the point where an obviously open restaurant told us they were closed for the evening. Apparently, they were only closed to Americans. But, like your example, they were the exception. Of course, this was before Trump, so....

I continue to be amazed that someone so disliked actually won our election. I've never heard of performers refusing to play an inauguration, of people boycotting businesses that support a presidential candidate. He's the most divisive and awful person I've ever seen as our next president. I didn't care for Bush, but I wasn't embarrassed by him or terrified of him. 

And Trump supporters? It's frightening how it's like talking to a brick wall. They truly are on a different plane of reality. Who closes themselves off to facts the way they do? Who continually jumps into conversations like they do, without regard to the conversation taking place and considering whether they are contributing or just interrupting? It's mind boggling. 

55 minutes ago, Padma said:

New proof that Trump really HAS won the War on Christmas!

I feel like that invite is a trick. Like he's going to get all the diplomats and their kids to come to the party, lock them in a room, and gas them. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Lunata said:

This is warm and fuzzy, it's a very special invitation for the children of US diplomats to a special Kremlin Christmas and New Year's party.

kremlin.jpg

Why shouldn't that murderous thug be magnanimous?  He has the Puerile Puppet in place.  And given the way some Americans are loudly and proudly praising Putin, I'm sure he figures that those same diplomats will end up being his bitches next month, as well.

The question I have, is what will it take for the GOP, particularly Drumpf's more diehard supporters, to admit that Drumpf is in bed with Putin.

• Love 12
Just now, MulletorHater said:

Why shouldn't that murderous thug be magnanimous?  He has the Puerile Puppet in place.  And given the way some Americans are loudly and proudly praising Putin, I'm sure he figures that those same diplomats will end up being his bitches next month, as well.

The question I have, is what will it take for the GOP, particularly Drumpf's more diehard supporters, to admit that Drumpf is in bed with Putin.

If you aren't depressed enough and need more frustration, check out this twitter feed. https://twitter.com/resisttyranny?lang=en

• Love 2

When did it become ok for a president or incoming president to continue to praise a leader of Russia? On CNN today trump adviser James Woolsey tells Jim Acosta it is ok. It's like Teddy Roosevelt "carry a big stick". Two WTF's first, WTF? And second, fuck you, don't you ever compare him to a Roosevelt.

• Love 12
35 minutes ago, stormy said:

When did it become ok for a president or incoming president to continue to praise a leader of Russia? On CNN today trump adviser James Woolsey tells Jim Acosta it is ok. It's like Teddy Roosevelt "carry a big stick". Two WTF's first, WTF? And second, fuck you, don't you ever compare him to a Roosevelt.

Word. Teddy was far from perfect, but he wasn't a fan of corporations and monopolies and he helped to establish national parks, the very things that Drumpf loves and the latter which Drumpf seems to be against. Franklin wasn't perfect either, but at least social programs started in part thanks to him, yet another thing that Drumpf can't stand.

• Love 12
8 minutes ago, millennium said:

A great lead-in to my question: has anyone of national significance reacted to Trump's pro-Putin tweet today?   I'm scanning my news feeds but I can't find anything.  

jimsciutto..jpg

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Scooby Dont said:

Trump may not be a statesman or a diplomat but those folks have done such great things in the past 50 years, right? 

Well, yes -- statesmen and diplomats have achieved great success in the last fifty years -- look at South Africa alone (choking apartheid without a single boot on the ground). And there's the initial nuclear test ban treaty, and SALT, and the US/Canadian Acid Rain Treaty, The Ottawa Treaty, The Kyoto Protocol, etc -- just because guns aren't being fired doesn't mean deep progress isn't happening.

ETA

and had never worked in the private sector, EVER. 

This right wing canard just refuses to die -- Obama worked several jobs in the private sector:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2009/apr/15/joe-scarborough/heres-scoop-obama-has-worked-ice-cream-business-am/

Edited by film noire
  • Love 20