Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E04: Falling Slowly

• Start Topic

Alex tries to do the right thing but still can't catch a break. Jackson and April adjust to their "new normal" with the baby. While Meredith and Nathan establish what's going on between them, Amelia questions the state of her relationship with Owen.

Promo:

Sneak peek:

I'm laughing at Amelia and Owen basically doing their courtship backwards.  So much for marital bliss.

Cue Jackson and April getting back together in 3...2...1...

Glad that Alex found something meaningful in his clinic work, but I wish medical series would quit crapping on clinics like they're the most shameful place to be.  For many, it's the only healthcare they can manage.  

Boy, Maggie is gonna feel dumb when she finds out about Meredith and Dr. Bland hooking up.

• Love 8

Ahhh. Meredith. Why didn't you stand up and say "I'm trying to push Nathan away because of your feelings and its not going well. We hooked up once, and I'm trying to be a good sister."

Loved Alex's case, even if he was a little over the top when he was screaming at the patient.

• Love 4

I'm not convinced that Riggs didn't side with Meredith on the surgery vs. wait-and-see approaches mostly because he wants in her pants again.  Meredith is right to question that.  That's one of the reasons the hospital has (had?) rules about dating - remember the panty police?  It can influence your judgment and decisions.

I didn't really like the clinic patient's story.  I don't believe that the Chief, Alex and the nurse wouldn't have immediately jumped on her saying she popped her arm in place like she always does when that happens.  And that she wasn't in pain after dislocating a shoulder and popping it in herself.  That's crazy and has nothing to do with dehydration or alcohol.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, chitowngirl said:

What was the diagnosis of the woman in the clinic? My son decided to chat at me and I missed it.

She had Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

8 minutes ago, izabella said:

I don't believe that the Chief, Alex and the nurse wouldn't have immediately jumped on her saying she popped her arm in place like she always does when that happens.  And that she wasn't in pain after dislocating a shoulder and popping it in herself.  That's crazy and has nothing to do with dehydration or alcohol.

All of this.  I couldn't believe Emma wasn't admitted immediately for testing after she popped her arm back in like it was no big deal.  Especially since it had happened more than once.

• Love 3

My dislike of Meredith aside I really don't get why Riggs hasn't moved on from her.  They had a ONS weeks and weeks ago and she's done nothing but rebuff him. Enough time has passed for both DeLuca and April to be all healed. Either pair them up or move him along to someone else. Its only episode 4 yet the sister triangle is already repetitive and dull. Each episode its Meredith saying she won't date Riggs then shushing when Maggie appears. *yawn*

I couldn't believe Emma wasn't admitted immediately for testing after she popped her arm back in like it was no big deal.

I thought they were having her stay in the clinic for tests when Alex found what was wrong but maybe I heard wrong.  

I feel bad for DeLuca that he was injured but I'm having a hard time being invested.  I think "no one talks to me" would have not fallen as flat for me if I could remember him ever talking to others or having any kind of relationship more than just Maggie's boy or a passing conversation.

I liked the episode overall. I'm always happy when there is a lot of Alex, the more the better for me.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, izabella said:

I'm not convinced that Riggs didn't side with Meredith on the surgery vs. wait-and-see approaches mostly because he wants in her pants again.  Meredith is right to question that.  That's one of the reasons the hospital has (had?) rules about dating - remember the panty police?  It can influence your judgment and decisions.

Bummer, I have to disagree.  I remember rules regarding signed consent and disclosure for HR (after Leah filed a complaint,) but not that fraternization was ever strictly prohibited.  If Seattle Grace Mercy Death Grey Sloan Memorial personnel weren't allowed to . . . let's call it "date" each other, there'd be no staff, no point, no show.

I thought it was outrageously insulting of Meredith to ask Riggs that, and arrogant at "I am The Sun" levels.  You didn't compromise your professional ethics because you have the hots for me, did you?  

Did anyone ever double-check young Dr. Mer's motives to confirm patient welfare was her first priority and she wasn't just trying to suck up to the distinguished brain surgeon who was her crush object/boyfriend/husband? 

And speaking of the late great McDreamy, doesn't the widow McDreamy feel a little silly colleague-zoning a man because intimate relationships are "too much of a distraction for optimal performance in the workplace"?

• Love 8
42 minutes ago, candall said:

Did anyone ever double-check young Dr. Mer's motives to confirm patient welfare was her first priority and she wasn't just trying to suck up to the distinguished brain surgeon who was her crush object/boyfriend/husband? 

The only reason I wouldn't expect her to question her own motives is she gave her opinion first, and he agreed.  That's how I remember it, but if I'm wrong, then I completely agree she should ask herself that question, and so should Riggs.

I think they're trying to show us that Meredith is making excuses for why she can't "date" Riggs because she's not ready.  She's been using Maggie to distance herself from Riggs, and is now using professional ethics (lol) since the Maggie thing wasn't working to hold Riggs off.

• Love 1

Ugh, I can't believe we're still not done with the Riggs/Mer/Maggie love triangle that Maggie doesn't know about.

Why doesn't millionaire Jackson hire a night nurse if he's concerned about April not being healed enough to lift the baby?

It's great that Alex diagnosed the girl with the rare disease, but that doesn't make beating up DeLuca any less wrong. I hope he's found guilty, because I need to see someone experience the full consequences of their actions on this show for once (and no, lowering himself to work in the oh-so-horrible clinic and take orders from a nurse is not adequate punishment for beating someone to a pulp).

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 7

One of the better teleplays of the season thus far -- another entry reminiscent of early Grey's, but far more tonally successful than last week's. The only issues tonight involved chronically ill-defined characters whose lack of functionality has proven irrespective of the weekly narratives: April, Jackson, Maggie, in particular. So, in its ability to keep the cringes comparatively few, this was another solid outing from a season that's launched better than any other in the post-plane-crash era.

With regard to the arcs, the core triangle remains forced and predictable, but we've seen worse; fortunately, the purposeful way in which the show has been structuring itself around Meredith and her POV helps to mitigate some of the contrivances, as the story does feel a more genuine exploration of her flaws (and as such, has significantly contributed to these "throwback" sensibilities as of late) than any of the tripe we saw between her and Derek in the latter half of Dempsey's tenure. 

Additionally, the Alex material has been show-elevating, with the plot's accompanying sense of direction -- around a character about whom we actually care -- aiding the year's enjoyment immensely. Let's see how sustainable this proves...

Edited by upperco
  • Love 1

So, if I'm being honest.. I hardly pay attention to this show. A few highlights I did get while I was doing other things was Mer's big case, her fighting with Riggs about how she thought maybe he sided with her option to wait for surgery was because he liked her and yes the parallel of this to her and Derek's romance.. not a fan and also the patient end up being paralyzed from her waist down, like her already handicapped husband. Alex doing good but.. I hate this storyline. Maggie being all flightly with Riggs, why are they doing this to her? She wasn't like this before and no offense.. Riggs.. not that great? I know he gave her a box of bacon once, which yes is awesome but.. I don't know what else to say on this? Anyways, DeLuca and Jo beginning a friendship of some kind, please don't make them into a triangle show, if anything I would love for them to develop a Alex/Meredith like friendship with the two, I could get behind that. And more Avery/April stuff. Just kiss and get back together already!  Also, Amelia and Owen are back to annoying. And yes, Amelia, a two week engagement is ridiculous. 

• Love 1

I'm so glad Richard is still around after all these years. His & Alex's 'good cop-bad cop' routine cracked me up.

James Pickens is just a joy to watch, no matter if he's the star of an episode or a minor supporting player.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 24

Ugh, Owen and Amelia's conversation about church and kids was ridiculous. That's the kind of thing you should discuss BEFORE the wedding. The other stuff she was interrogating him about later (like how old he was when his dad died or why he joined the army) is stuff she should feel free to ask but she can't blame him for not regurgitating facts about every moment of his life until now. If she wants to know those things, she just needs to ask him and he needs to answer anything that isn't traumatic to talk about. Kids and religion though? That is on BOTH of them for never bringing it up during the months/years they have been dating/fucking. I would never marry someone without discussing those two things (as well as several other issues) beforehand. Sure they were only engaged for two weeks, but you can discuss a lot of things in two weeks. And they could have talked about these things any time before they got engaged too. Idiots!

And why did Owen act so surprised when Amelia mentioned them having kids? He is the one who wanted kids and that was a huge issue in his relationship with Cristina. You'd think he would be glad that Amelia assumed they were having kids.

I wasn't clear on Alex's position at the clinic. Is he a volunteer? If he isn't getting paid, then he should be allowed to leave for an hour to talk to his lawyer.

I really do not want to see April and Jackson get back together. Why can't they show two people who aren't romantically involved successfully coparenting? It happens in the real world.

Seeing Meredith, Amelia, and Maggie sneaking into a clinic room to have lunch with Alex made me miss the old days when MAGIC used to eat together with unconscious patients. MAMA is no MAGIC.

• Love 6

Yeah the show is really really trying hard to make Maggie and Amelia the new Izzie/George/Cristina for Mer/Alex and it's a huge failure for me.  The more they force them on me the more I resist. I wish they'd try find organic relationships for both women rather then trying to force a whole camaraderie with Meredith and Meredith/Alex that just isn't there. 

Remember when Alex and Jackson were friends? 

• Love 12
7 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

And why did Owen act so surprised when Amelia mentioned them having kids? He is the one who wanted kids and that was a huge issue in his relationship with Cristina. You'd think he would be glad that Amelia assumed they were having kids.

Especially since they already mentioned having five kids last season...

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Chas411 said:

I wonder how long Alex in the clinic will last..

I'm happy they're mining the clinic for fresh patients, medicine, skills and conflict!  Interesting story potential to have a surgeon reporting to a boss with less medical education, but more experience in clinic world.  (It would be nice if he could be wise instead of a douche.)

When they were training, the docs used to go pick up the slack in the clinic all the time--it wasn't humiliating, it was just another place they were assigned. 

Alex's friends being too snooty to stoop to clinic work was harsh, (I know, paperwork and protocol) but J. Chambers did a good job gritting out his embarrassment that he wasn't allowed to perform elementary procedures.

More Denny Duquette Memorial Clinic, less stupid love triangle! 

• Love 9
6 hours ago, windsprints said:

I feel bad for DeLuca that he was injured but I'm having a hard time being invested.  I think "no one talks to me" would have not fallen as flat for me if I could remember him ever talking to others or having any kind of relationship more than just Maggie's boy or a passing conversation.

This. I feel bad but he never really had any significant interactions with anyone but Maggie and maybe Richard. It's hard to buy he's being treated differently when he was kind of a non-entity.

I figured DeLuca and Jo bonding was coming, but I thought the execution was awkward.

I liked Alex's storyline, especially the scenes with Richard.

Any potential Meredith and Riggs may have had has been sucked dry with this ridiculous storyline.

• Love 5

Alex in the clinic reminded me of the old days, when the characters could still suffer professional consequences for their actions. ie. before they owned the hospital (and I'm one of the few who actually liked that and the whole board storyline)

• Love 6

why did Owen act so surprised when Amelia mentioned them having kids? He is the one who wanted kids and that was a huge issue in his relationship with Cristina. You'd think he would be glad that Amelia assumed they were having kids

Owen not discussing having kids prior to getting married again makes him look like a dipshit given how well that worked out for him the last time. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Chas411 said:

I wonder how long Alex in the clinic will last..

I got a glimpse last night of the clinic (and Alex's role in the clinic) potentially taking on a bigger role in the show. Something about Alex initially treating being sent to the clinic to work as a fate worse than death, to realizing that the level of care and follow up there is somewhat less than ideal, and now digging in to solve a real medical mystery there (that had been overlooked for months apparently)--something about it all just feels like a progression or ramping up to something. If I remember correctly, he initially hated his involvement in pediatrics, but came to have a real affinity for it (to his surprise), and became a star. This feels similar.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Ugh, Owen and Amelia's conversation about church and kids was ridiculous. That's the kind of thing you should discuss BEFORE the wedding. The other stuff she was interrogating him about later (like how old he was when his dad died or why he joined the army) is stuff she should feel free to ask but she can't blame him for not regurgitating facts about every moment of his life until now. If she wants to know those things, she just needs to ask him and he needs to answer anything that isn't traumatic to talk about. Kids and religion though? That is on BOTH of them for never bringing it up during the months/years they have been dating/fucking. I would never marry someone without discussing those two things (as well as several other issues) beforehand. Sure they were only engaged for two weeks, but you can discuss a lot of things in two weeks. And they could have talked about these things any time before they got engaged too. Idiots!

Amelia's problem is she thought it would be great to question Owen randomly about things while at work.  They should go on dates, even if that means sitting down together for dinner at home, and do what real people do - talk, flirt, learn about each other.  But no one at this hospital does things like that - they just have sex in the hospital and then get married.

• Love 7

I waver back and forth between liking Riggs and not caring about him. Someone above raised the point that by now, he should be moving on from Meredith. He keeps pursuing her and she keeps rebuffing him. Whether she's denying her true feelings or not is another story - I do think she'd like to be involved with him, but it's too much effort, too frightening, too sad, or something. But perhaps he should back off and just concentrate on his work. Enough's enough already with this nonsense. Either get into the relationship or don't. But again, there are moments when I really do want Riggs and Meredith to take the plunge and begin dating and such.  Why not? He's good looking (subjective, I know, and certainly NOT the most important thing, but...), he's seemingly a skilled doctor, he seems intelligent and able to function in and around the hospital and his colleagues. He's not put off by the fact that Meredith is the widow of an extremely high profile person or that she has 3 children and is a complicated, high-maintenance individual who may or may not be completely ready to share her mind and body with anyone. True, he's not yet been shown to be the most complex or nuanced individual. But he's had a few moments where he briefly revealed a bit of his inner self. One (for me) was in this episode, the scene in which he, Meredith, and Owen had just discovered that their patient was now paralyzed. I thought Riggs really sold that scene - he did truly seem very angry and insulted and disgusted that Meredith might have "sided" with his recommendation for personal reasons, rather than because he was actually correct. The other bit of personality he showed me was last week, when he and Meredith had that brief exchange about still imagining/dreaming about their deceased partners. It was a quick, small, intimate moment but I found it really revealing. But either way, this storyline needs to resolve ASAP. It's like nails on a chalkboard at this point and I have no patience. Either have Riggs and Meredith move forward with a relationship or not. I, as a viewer, do not appreciate watching adults hiding their feelings and bumbling and stumbling around like middle schoolers.

Edited by Biggie B
  • Love 2

Of all the stupid crap the show has pulled off over the years, DeLuca being treated like a pariah when he was actually the wronged one has to rank among the worst. It just makes no sense. I really wish he had told Bailey "Oh, I'm so sorry that me being viciosly beaten and having my career jeoparidzed over something that was in no way a fault of my own is such an annoyance to YOU." 

I'm tired of one-in-a-million wonder cases popping up every week. I can't bring myself to care about April and Jackson and their non-issues. Just get back together. Owen and Amelia, the less said the better. Ditto the infamous triangle.

What I got from this episode is that I'm probably Team JoLuca. Because, hey, why not. 

• Love 12
4 hours ago, Chas411 said:

Remember when Alex and Jackson were friends? 

Yes! I just watched some of those S8 or S9 episodes where they were friends and it was so nice to see. I miss friendships on this show that are believable - ones that come from two people having similar interests and senses of humor, etc. It would be nice to bring that back rather than forcing "SISTERS = BFFs, DAMMIT" on us every week.

I'm also a little confused on the clinic - was Alex the only other person that worked there before the one doctor we were shown? Who was doing all the prep at the beginning and end of the day before that? I hope the doctor gets a little more development if Alex stays in the clinic longer (either as a punishment or because he chooses too). It would be a fresh new source of characters and storylines and patients there.

I did appreciate everyone hiding in a room for lunch together though. It reminds me of early seasons where MAGIC would gather in that back hallway full of gurneys, or when they had lunch in the coma patient's room for awhile. 

Mostly everything on the show just reminds me of an earlier time when they did it better.

Edited by shantown
  • Love 5

This episode was like the worst.

Maggie/Riggs/Meredith...why is this a love triangle?  Especially since Riggs doesn't like Maggie and Meredith doesn't like Riggs.  This needs to end.  I don't even think Meredith and Riggs have chemistry...the whole this is forced.

Delucca...This guy's character is not developed enough for me to care...I called him and Jo hooking up months ago.

Jo sucks same as always...

Amelia and Owen...I hate these two

• Love 5

When Amelia asked, "Are our kids going to be okay?" I LITERALLY YELLED "NOOOO!!!" at the television. No, omg, please do not have children right now, this is maybe the worst decision ever, and that includes the time I decided to wear tights under shorts in 1994.

• Love 16

I could not help thinking when Riggs suggested to Meredith that they just hang out together, maybe go to a movie, that she point out that she has 3 small children with whom she needed to spend time. But then I remembered that I worry more about Meredith's children than she (or the writers) does.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, windsprints said:

Owen not discussing having kids prior to getting married again makes him look like a dipshit given how well that worked out for him the last time. 

No shit.  I didn't watch Private Practice, but it seems to me Amelia might have had a baby tragedy somewhere along the line.  What if Owen--the man most desperate to procreate in the entire world--flash married another woman with reproduction issues??

Could SOMEONE just please get this guy a little McKidd already?!   He's come so close (twice!) and still no cigars.  I'm sick of his sadz.

Remember when Old Coma Guy, or whatever they called him when they were setting their sandwiches down on him, woke up and knew all about their love lives and board scores, etc?  LOL  That was one of my favorite episodes.

• Love 6

I didn't watch Private Practice, but it seems to me Amelia might have had a baby tragedy somewhere along the line.

She did. If I recall, she did get pregnant with the boyfriend who OD'd. She had the baby but he was either born without much of a brain or had some other severely horrible condition that didn't permit him to live long - or he might have even been stillborn, I don't quite recall.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Joana said:

Of all the stupid crap the show has pulled off over the years, DeLuca being treated like a pariah when he was actually the wronged one has to rank among the worst. It just makes no sense. I really wish he had told Bailey "Oh, I'm so sorry that me being viciosly beaten and having my career jeoparidzed over something that was in no way a fault of my own is such an annoyance to YOU."

I actually found that interesting, and it rang very true to me. Now obviously it's gross and terrible because he's an innocent victim in this yet gets shunned while Alex, the actual perp, remains very much socially connected. Still, I believe it does make sense. Partly because looking at reality, it often *is* the victim who gets blamed/shunned/shut down by the community, while the perp is supported och remains one of the gang. Partly because these people have always had a tribe mentality. They stick by their own, stand up for their own, no matter what. Outsiders who try to make trouble for a member of the in-group are shut down, regardless of whether this "trouble" is a legitimate consequence of wrongdoing or not. And they love Alex, but don't care about DeLuca. So I think it's actually very much in keeping with how they've consistently acted since the show started, and an interesting issue for the show to interrogate. How well they manage to explore it remains to be seen, but hopefully DeLuca will be fleshed out at least a little.

• Love 12
51 minutes ago, tapplum said:

I actually found that interesting, and it rang very true to me. Now obviously it's gross and terrible because he's an innocent victim in this yet gets shunned while Alex, the actual perp, remains very much socially connected. Still, I believe it does make sense. Partly because looking at reality, it often *is* the victim who gets blamed/shunned/shut down by the community, while the perp is supported och remains one of the gang. Partly because these people have always had a tribe mentality. They stick by their own, stand up for their own, no matter what. Outsiders who try to make trouble for a member of the in-group are shut down, regardless of whether this "trouble" is a legitimate consequence of wrongdoing or not. And they love Alex, but don't care about DeLuca. So I think it's actually very much in keeping with how they've consistently acted since the show started, and an interesting issue for the show to interrogate. How well they manage to explore it remains to be seen, but hopefully DeLuca will be fleshed out at least a little.

I agree with this and I hate it. 

Bailey pissed me off big time. She has enough care in her to tell deluca not to talk about the case in the hospital but when he brings up a legitimate issue she's already checked out. Does she not care that one of her residents is describing an hostile work environment? The one who was beaten pretty viciously with no fault of his own? But because it's Alex, one of "her's", she's just doesn't care. 

It was prob played for laughs but I literally said "oh screw you bailey".

My main fear about this storyline was how it was going to be all about Alex. Alex the perpetrator is getting all the sympathy here plus his is the only POV we're getting and it's making me want Alex to serve jail time (which we all know he won't). 

Edited by moonorchid
  • Love 5
52 minutes ago, BaseOps said:

The Twitter reaction to Jo / DeLuca was... not pretty last night. 

Hardly surprising - everything Jo does is met with disdain. I've never a character viewers want so badly to fail. It's a shame because Camilla L is such a sweetheart.

• Love 2

Another solid episode for me. I like that they're focusing on smaller storylines and sort of giving a little bit to everybody. I agree 100% that the 'triangle' is dragging (it feels like it's been a lot more than 4 episodes) but I didn't mind the Meredith and Riggs scenes. I still think they have really great chemistry, so I wish we'd get past this and actually explore it. The longer they drag it out, the more hurt Maggie is going to be in the end. It's especially annoying because I think in a lot of ways Meredith and Riggs could help endear Meredith to some people, but instead she's coming off as a bit of a jerk for leaving Maggie in the dark. I feel bad that she genuinely seems to like Riggs but she keeps pushing him away because of Maggie's immature crush. This needs to be wrapped up ASAP. 

I love all the Meredith / Alex stuff, and I'm so happy that they're really continuing to give spotlight to Alex. He is easily the MVP of S13 so far, and I couldn't be happier as a longtime fan. I didn't take him being upset about working in the clinic as having anything against clinic work, per say, but as other people pointed out his training goes far beyond the work he's doing, so it's understandably frustrating. I like that the clinic opens up more story possibilities, though, and I loved that Alex called on Richard to help with the girl who they thought was an alcoholic. Some of the stuff was a little over-the-top, but it was enjoyable. Does Alex not drive, though? Why the hell was he getting on a bus? According to a very quick Google search, paediatric surgeons have an average income of $470,000 a year - the dude can afford a car. 

Owen and Amelia continue to get on my nerves, though their last scene was sort of nice. I can't get the idea of out of my head that they should have wrapped their storyline up at the end of last season, though. It just feels like they're finished and everything this year has sort of been tacked-on; it feels like their grasping at straws trying to give them conflict and storylines. The first scene was really random, like we jumped in halfway through a conversation that we should have been given more background on or seen develop more organically. I liked Owen and Meredith's elevator scene, though. It's nice to see those two interact. 

I mentioned last week that I liked the April / Alex scenes, because it's always nice when they switch up who is interacting with who. It was good this week to see April / Stef, and I didn't even remember until after the scene was over what has gone down with them in the past. Stef really is the least integrated member of the cast; it feels like there's a big disconnect between her and virtually everyone else. I wish she had been written off at the end of last season, because despite enjoying the actress, I just don't think she adds anything to the show and it seems clear that they have no idea what to do with her. I did like that they still touch on the Jackson / Ben friendship, as well. Nice callback to when Jackson lived with Ben and Bailey (which I also forgot about). I'm guessing the Japril reunion isn't too far off. 

Overall I think they're keeping a good pace this season. The cast is still too bloated for my liking so some characters are just being thrown into other stories or given random scenes here and there, but overall I'm enjoying it a lot. I'm a bit surprised that Jo hasn't been given more focus, but to be honest I've never been a huge fan, and as long as Alex is getting storylines I don't mind much. Are we ever going to really see them interact again, though? I'm eager to see her reveal the truth about her past to him - but it looks like she may end up with DeLuca before then? 

I see some people upset about Bailey telling DeLuca not to discuss the case at work, which I don't really see as being that odd. I also think it makes sense that he feels isolated - it's not right, but it makes sense. I don't think it's so much that anyone dislikes him, but that they're all much closer to Alex and so this has made the situation awkward. They could have driven the point home better by having him on an actual case rather than just having a few run-ins with other doctors, but perhaps we'll get there. His last scene with Jo was definitely hinting at something more. I wonder if the writers will go there. It's interesting that Alex lost his temper in front of Jo, I think that's exactly the issue she has with him so that probably only pushed her further away. At this point, I'm not overly interested in a reunion between them but I'd at least like some closure and to see them discuss things beyond just the scene that they shared in episode 2. 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, BaseOps said:

but it looks like she may end up with DeLuca before then? 

I didn't really get a flirty or romantic vibe from them. I just think they both understand what it's like to be shut out and not in with the cool crowd. Alex has Meredith and all his gal pals that he can discuss his case or whatever else. Jo and DeLuca have been warned not to discuss it and it's a big deal what went down that night so it doesn't shock me they might turn to each other as pals when Alex has everyone else.

• Love 6

If Perfect Penny managed to find at least one sympathetic soul without much trouble even though she supposedly killed Derek, I really don't see why it would be any different for DeLuca who clearly didn't do anything wrong. And I find it hard to believe that the entire hospital would be backing up a guy who spent years being a huge jerk to everyone. It's just lousy writing.

What pissed me off the most was the way Bailey acted like the whole thing was just some petty inconvenience that was ruining her day. Get a grip, woman, you're his boss. And while we're at it, IMO she's done a horrible job as the chief and I'd be thrilled if she was fired/demoted. Of course, Shonda would never do that. 

• Love 7

I think this season is starting to fall into the same trap as the last few.  I know it's only 4 episodes in, but the writers are already treading water with the same, stale storylines while other pints of view are missing. Is there anyone here who doesn't know how Meredith, Nathan or Maggie feel about each other? They have had the same conversations for four episodes now.  In the meantime, Maggie has not had one real scene with DeLuca after all of the angst and babbling she inflicted on us last season about him.

And as much as I love the Alex screentime, we have seen "Alex does something stupid and then redeems himself" a hundred times.  He has even done the "everyone misses the diagnosis but Alex" storyline many, many times. I had hoped that we would see him feeling remorse about DeLuca and Jo and actually getting their point of view on things, but I guess not. Once again, I know what Alex is going through and how he feels about it, but have no idea about Jo or what her thoughts are, besides clearly needing a friend, which DeLuca is. I didn't see anything more than two people being awkward together because of a shared traumatic experience.  But I guess it wasn't as traumatic for them as it has been for Alex, which only lessens my sympathy for him despite how well Chambers has been playing him.

On the plus side, Justin Chambers has been looking really, really good.  Him in teal scrubs might be the saving grace of this storyline.

• Love 7

If Perfect Penny managed to find at least one sympathetic soul without much trouble even though she supposedly killed Derek, I really don't see why it would be any different for DeLuca who clearly didn't do anything wrong. And I find it hard to believe that the entire hospital would be backing up a guy who spent years being a huge jerk to everyone. It's just lousy writing.

The difference was she was Perfect Penny and was clearly a writers favour ite written to succeed at everything and be the bestest at everything. 

DeLuca is not perfect Penny. It's very clear that he and pretty much Jonas well are both afterthoughts in this storyline.

1 hour ago, BaseOps said:

Does Alex not drive, though? Why the hell was he getting on a bus? According to a very quick Google search, paediatric surgeons have an average income of $470,000 a year - the dude can afford a car. 

Alex carpools with Meredith, so he would be without a car at the hospital even if he does drive, which I'm sure he does.  We have seen him with Meredith and Maggie in the car on the way to work (no kids, of course!), and in this episode, Meredith came to find Alex at the end of the day to go home (again, no kids!).

• Love 3

I think Maggie has been one of the most misused characters in the shows history. First, they avoided the only interesting aspect of her character for me when she was introduced - her connection to Richard. They totally neglected to develop it, which would have not only been great for Richard, but also a much more interesting way to explore Maggie's character. Then they spent the entire first half of S12 pushing her and DeLuca before abruptly breaking them up - only to have her randomly develop feelings for Riggs to shove her into this 'triangle'. On top of that, they went waaaaay too hard with the 'sisters' angle between Maggie, Amelia, and Meredith. I think the actress is fine, and Maggie could have worked - but they've really made her hard for me to root for her. 

• Love 14

Agreed - I think the actress is very comedic but instead of keeping her with DeLuca and Richard who I quite like her with - they keep trying to force her into the forefront with Meredith and it's not working. Maggie as a part of the ensemble I like. Maggie as the second sun to Meredith not so much. 

Also as awful as Meredith looks In this triangle I find Maggie and her expectations on how Meredith should behave as a sister to be overstepping at times. I feel for as funny as she is at times that she's always lecturing as well. 

I wish someone would just tell her to grow up instead of humouring her all the time. 

• Love 9