Type keyword(s) to search

Hillary Rodham Clinton: 2016 Democratic Presidential Nominee

3 hours ago, WhitneyWhit said:

I just want to apologize to Secretary Clinton, I am truly sorry that your thirty years of experience, your dedication, your intelligence, your sacrifices, your work on behalf of those who can't help themselves were deemed not worthy simply because you have a vagina. I'm sorry that you were even put into a position to have to prove your worth against a rabid, feral, neon orangutan.  I can only hope this won't stop you from fighting and that you will continue to give a voice to those who need it, and after last night, that list of people just a whole lot bigger.  I'm still with her and will continue to be with her.

I agree. Although I hesitate to insult the orangutan community by comparing them to HIM, Agent Orange. I hate to look at his asshole pursed lipped face. I may have to watch DVDs for awhile.

Did Hillary speak yet? I  kind of wished she had spoken last night. Maybe she did and I missed it.  

For me. racists full of hate and divisiveness ARE deplorable. I can't think of a better word

• Love 11
38 minutes ago, Kitty Redstone said:

Hate won.  I'm so sickened by this whole spectacle that it's time for me to tap back out of politics. 

I don't recognize this country.

Sickened is the word.  My husband and I always dreamed of one day having an RV to travel the country...I looked at him today and said, yeah, I don't think so anymore.  

Hillary's speech cut through my heart.  This is a nightmare.

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, Revlonred said:

Sickened is the word.  My husband and I always dreamed of one day having an RV to travel the country...I looked at him today and said, yeah, I don't think so anymore.  

Hillary's speech cut through my heart.  This is a nightmare.

Do you guys know where I can see her speech? I missed it. TIA.

• Love 1

So this was the first election in a while without a Voting Rights Act in place and we saw voting fraud and attempts to deny liberals the chance to vote. Whites ensured a Trump victory. Some Latinos and a very small portion of black men voted for him but it was overwhelmingly whites that did this. White women pretty much chose race over gender. (The man said he wants to screw his daughter, repeatedly, he's had several accusations of rape and molestation made against him and he has an upcoming sexual assault trial but, sure, he's for women. The reality is that there are a whole lot of white women who will side with a white man any day of the week, no matter what.) What a disgrace. And white men turned out to be every ugly thing they've always been called. 

And the kicker is, Trump has no idea what he's doing. The man doesn't really have any policies, he has no experience, his staff had to explain what a Gold Star family is. He doesn't know how to create jobs, reinvigorate the economy, forge stronger alliances, negotiate with other leaders, and knows nothing about healthcare of the education system. Just him winning caused the market to take a hit.

HRC wasn't my ideal candidate but I voted for her because she was the only person who stood a chance in hell. Little did I know Hell is exactly where we were going.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

She was a bad candidate. Some of that was her fault, a lot of it was due to the hounding of the Clintons for the past twenty years. Seems like she couldn't inspire people to vote for her, as much as to vote against Trump.

Now it's time for her to retire from politics, and to let a new wave of progressive Democrats lead the party. 

I read an interesting article about the differences between Hilarity and Obummer. It included the following:

"At the political level, Hillary Clinton's defeat is certainly a setback for Obama, who campaigned hard for his former secretary of state, traveling across the country and employing the charisma and charm that she sorely lacks."

The article was titled, "Trump's joy is Obama's pain: Barack faces destruction of legacy by the Donald's presidency".

Here is the link:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3919888/Trumps-joy-Obamas-pain.html

A bad candidate? She was a terrible, horrible, dismal candidate. Hilarity doesn't have the charisma of a gnat. How in the world did she ever expect to win a presidential election? She couldn't win an election to (fill in the blank yourself).

Edited by AliShibaz
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, slf said:

The man said he wants to screw his daughter, repeatedly, he's had several accusations of rape and molestation made against him and he has an upcoming sexual assault trial

Unfortunately, the rape trial won't happen as the victim dropped her case due to receiving death threats.  I doubt the other trials will see the light of day in court.

• Love 5

The TV was still on CNN when I just turned it on and the chyron said "Dems come to terms with Clinton's stunning loss" and that's just not it!

I voted FOR HER, not against a Cheeto.  But my honest devastation at her defeat is because HE WON. If she had lost to almost literally anyone else, I would have been sad and bummed, but not petrified.

I'm really going to miss watching the news for the next four years.

• Love 19

She lost to Donald J. FUCKING Trump.  Unbelievable.  Just.....just..................................................................................................................................................

• Love 2
22 hours ago, ZaldamoWilder said:

I hope she admitted to modifying another comedian's stuff.   That came from an observation made by Louis C.K. earlier this year.   I wouldn't ever have recalled except that I'm LCK fangirl.

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/news/a45781/louis-ck-plane-election-analogy/

Another comedian?

Louis C.K. is a comedian. I'll give you that. But Joy Who? She may call herself a comedian. I suppose some other people may call her a comedian as well. But have you ever heard her say anything funny? Or maybe there is some other definition of a comedian. Aren't comedians supposed to be funny? Do you recall anything funny she has ever said?

Comedian? I would have to call her a Putridian (derived from the word "putrid").

She is just about as funny as two jumbo jets crashing into each other on the ground.

NOT FUNNY!

Edited by AliShibaz
9 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

She lost to Donald J. FUCKING Trump.  Unbelievable.  Just.....just..................................................................................................................................................

You were surprised by that?

If you consider her complete lack of human empathy, warmth, charm and charisma, it really shouldn't be any big surprise.

She had Obama (a man with considerable charm and charisma) running all around the country and stumping for her - to no effect. It wasn't enough to get this dead pan doorknob elected to anything - never mind POTUS.

The only time since WWII a party has been able to hold on to the White House for more than eight years was when Reagan did such a great job that his VP was given the chance to extend the legacy. Clinton tried to push that angle, but you've got a struggling economy and the problems with Obamacare are staring to show through, so it was a no-go.

Did Kamala Harris win?

Did that Latina congresswoman win in Nevada? I forgot her name, but did she win Reid's seat?

The democrats need to work on their bench, redistricting, local government and I'm there for every election and to vote for every democrat they can find for me to vote for.

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, AliShibaz said:

Another comedian?

Louis C.K. is a comedian. I'll give you that. But Joy Who? She may call herself a comedian. I suppose some other people may call her a comedian as well. But have you ever heard her say anything funny? Or maybe there is some other definition of a comedian. Aren't comedians supposed to be funny? Do you recall anything funny she has ever said?

Comedian? I would have to call her a Putridian (derived from the word "putrid").

She is just about as funny as two jumbo jets crashing into each other on the ground.

NOT FUNNY!

Lol, well it is how she identifies.   Whether or not we agree with her is a different story.    She has a fair amount of my leeway for having joined Whoopi walking off on O'Reilly the last time I saw their show.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Janet Snakehole said:

I'm sorry, but I can't agree. This campaign was very positive in the end. They want change in the sense that they are afraid of positive change. They want the good ole days back. I like Warren and Sanders more than HRC, but this would have happened with them too at this point of time. This is a backlash to change.

Yep. I saw one of his supporters ranting on Twitter about how they're just so sick of the "liberal elite pushing for changes." (And, by changes, they, of course, mean progress.) 

2 hours ago, NewDigs said:

I'm a big crier and have held it together pretty well until now.

The stages of grief.

Bill looks teary.

My thought when I saw his face while she spoke was "well, if anyone has doubts as to whether he loves his wife, it's written all over his face." 

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

This Nasty Woman just cried at her gracious and beautiful speech.  She showed that it is possible to accept defeat with class.

Now I want to go behind the curtain so she can tell me what she REALLY thinks.

I'd give just about anything to sit around for a no holds barred, off the record, conversation between Hillary, Bill, Barack, Michelle, and Joe.  

18 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

The only time since WWII a party has been able to hold on to the White House for more than eight years was when Reagan did such a great job that his VP was given the chance to extend the legacy. Clinton tried to push that angle, but you've got a struggling economy and the problems with Obamacare are staring to show through, so it was a no-go.

Except for the part where the economy is no longer struggling and improved dramatically from 2009 to now (well, until even the idea of the shit stain cult leader winning the Presidency resulted in one of the (if not the) biggest drops in the market in decades).   

• Love 22
6 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Yes to both.

Thanks.

'm really going to miss watching the news for the next four years.

This is where I  am, I haven't tuned out a republican president at any point in time since I been old enough to vote and care, but now, no way. 

I'm not watching a klansman, a son of a klansman give the state of the union, fuck no, not happening. 

I can't watch Maddow and Hayes, because they talk politics and for the first time in my adult life I'm not even going be able to list any of the people in a president's cabinet. I think I'm going to learn just how uninformed one can be over the next four years. the people Jimmy Kimmel finds on the street who are utterly oblivious won't seem so strange to me any longer. Although I do know about midterm elections and hopefully the dems/and the Hillary camp will make use all the voter contact info. they have to keep us informed. Just point me in the direction of any democrat that I can vote for and I will. I show up for mid term elections.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, madmaverick said:

I fear that in this self-absorbed celebrity age of shallowness and echo chamberness of social media, personality, maybe even a Big Personality matters more than ever before.  More than facts, more than policy, more than sober analysis.  Personality matters more than substance.  It's sad.  Political elections resemble more high school popularity contests and reality show contests. The electorate has been weaned on a steady diet of celebrity and reality shows over the years and they wanted a celebrity blowhard who entertained them more than a serious, sober policy geek.  People would rather elect someone less knowledgeable, less qualified, less competent with 'personality' than someone whom they felt was boring or unlikable or too smart (elitist?) for them.  If you ask me, Hillary is no more or less likable than someone like Angela Merkel- and personally, I think both are personable and embody steady, quality leadership.  I'm voting for a leader and for policy, not for an entertainer or someone to be my personal friend.  And I still wonder at that whole supposed likability question, I don't feel Hillary's been treated fairly on that either by the media or the electorate.

What happened is that America elected a reality show president.

• Love 11
7 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

I'm a Californian, but I think Tammy Duckworth and Catherine Cortez Masto might become bigger names.

I'm not a Californian but I've seen Kamala Harris several times and was impressed.  Also Tammy Duckworth.  Never heard of Cortez Mastro though.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

I am surprised that any people thought Donald Trump had *more* empathy, warmth, charm, or charisma than Hillary Clinton. 

I wouldn't want to leave you with the wrong impression. I think they both have the same amount as a big rock.

I think both of them are complete monstrosities and I couldn't vote for one over the other. I just wish there were other choices.

Edited by AliShibaz

I cried watching Hillary's speech this morning, she was so gracious & I dont know how she kept it together.  Tim Kaine was very emotional while introducting her.  I dont 'know how Hillary has survived TWO punishing campaigns....she must be physically & emotionally drained...she deserves to take time off & just enjoy being a Grandma.  Hillary could take the title "Iron Lady" away from Margaret Thatcher....Hillary must have great intestinal fortitude to have done all the work she has done for this nation.

• Love 14
5 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I think the Trump supporters were so desperate for change (any kind of change) that they totally ignored the bad things about him. Ironic, because that's exactly what they accused Clinton fans of doing. I read that one dude who voted Trump said "he's not perfect, but he has a heart." WHAT. What the hell gave the guy THAT impression? See, people will ascribe whatever they want to the guy to justify voting him in.

Isn't that the same reason the Germans gave power to Hitler in 1933? They were desperate for change - any change - and they sure got it.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, AliShibaz said:

I wouldn't want to leave you with the wrong impression. I think they both have the same amount as a big rock.

I think both of them are complete monstrosities and I couldn't vote for one over the other. I just wish there were other choices.

Really? I'd think a guy who in all likelihood raped a child would be substantially worse.

3 hours ago, KerleyQ said:

Yep. I saw one of his supporters ranting on Twitter about how they're just so sick of the "liberal elite pushing for changes." (And, by changes, they, of course, mean progress.) 

Thank you for saying that. Because the reality is, for all their shrieking about "wanting change" the reality is it's change they're rejecting. I mean crowds of Trump supporters were seen in NY today chanting "No Muslims, no blacks, we want America back!" Trump supporters when polled said things have gotten worse since the 1950s. They want American as white, Christian, straight, and male-dominated as they can get it. The social, political, and economic progress of poor people, black men and women, Asian men and women, Latin@s, Middle Easterners, Indigenous peoples, women, the LGBT community, and religious minorities is what they dislike and voted against.

Edited by slf
  • Love 16

Years ago a well respected political pundit stated we would have a black president well before we have a female president.  He also said the first female president will have to be republican.  Looks like he's right.  I also think it will be decades before we see another black president.  The racist under belly of this country has revealed itself.

4 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Reagan "did such a great job"?

• Love 7
26 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

Reagan "did such a great job"?

Iirc Reagan's 2nd term was marred by a few scandals, Iran-Contra being the most memorable. Plus by 1988 Reagan occasionally appeared a little checked out of his own presidency. That said, 1988 wasn't 2016 - the recession of 1990-91 hadn't happened yet. And while Bush 41 was definitely charisma challenged as a speaker, Democrats didn't do themselves by nominating Dukakis, an even more charisma-challenged/unrelatable/whatever-you-want-to-call-it candidate. I wouldn't say the 1988 election was entirely a reflection on Reagan as president.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, KerleyQ said:

Except for the part where the economy is no longer struggling and improved dramatically from 2009 to now (well, until even the idea of the shit stain cult leader winning the Presidency resulted in one of the (if not the) biggest drops in the market in decades).

Democratic and Republican administrations don't spend taxpayer money in the same places. The market dropped because Wall Street had made big bets on a Clinton win, so there was a rush to dump what were now the "wrong" investments. It's good that we've made quite a bit of progress working up from the bottom of the abyss the Fed threw us in, but it's been slow, there's still a ways to go, and Obama's role has been more of not getting in the way too much, rather than a facilitator; nothing Clinton could latch onto, even if she could convince voters the picture was rosier than they were personally seeing.

28 minutes ago, stormy said:

And to add insult to injury, she won the popular vote.

Gee, too bad Obama didn't want to spend his "legacy" on Electoral College Reform, instead of Welfare-for-Insurance-Corporations (aka "the ACA") or remote-control murder of children all over the Middle East.  

(30 civilians dead, including women/children/infants, as a result of a pointless airstrike in Kunduz, Afghanistan this past Thursday.  They were trying to hit "senior Taliban commanders", which leads to two important questions:

1)  Do you not realize that "decapitation" doesn't work?  Kill the "commander", the next guy takes over.  Aren't you watching Designated Survivor?

2)  Who gives a fuck?  It's been FIFTEEN GODDAMN YEARS.  Let's go home, already.)

But how could Obama/Clinton/the DNC/GoldmanSachs/the Bush Family (yes, your "progressive" coalition, Dem sheep!) have expected this result?  It's not as if we had an election in 2000 where the Democratic candidate won the popular vote, but lost the electoral, right?  Oh…wait.

Way to go, Barry.  Way to go.  I mean, I might have liked bank reform or an actual jobs program or something to grow the GDP/median incomes, rather than eight years of kissing up to Wall Street.  ("I'm going to shield you.")  But getting rid of the Electoral College could have been classed as "fairness" and wouldn't have affected the people to whom you'll [no doubt] be giving very expensive "speeches" next year, at least not directly.  Maybe you could have done something for, oh, I dunno, the American people?

I know, I know, crazy lefty dreamer.  You just keep being your "cool" neoliberal warhawk self, you sack of shit.

Edited by DAngelus
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

And yet the voters threw an experienced woman under the boss for a sexist, racist, manic con artist, because of a bunch of emails.

Emails that showed she was more corrupt than Nixon (he didn't make no $116,000,000 off of his corruption, and that's just Doug Band's estimate of what he'd done for Bill, that doesn't include other revenue streams), sold the national security of the USA for $$$ ($500,000 "gift" to my "Foundation", Algeria! What do you know? You're off the Terrorist Watch List!), and should be in jail.

Minor details like that probably matter, too.

• Love 1

It's one thing to be Republican, but to vote for someone with zero experience and no plans is unfathomably stupid. That's like going in for surgery and entrusting your care to someone who hasn't stepped foot into medical school.

You elitist, wanting Hillary because she was qualified for the job.

As Sam Harris said back in 2008:

[H]ow has 'elitism' become a bad word in American politics?  There is simply no other walk of life in which extraordinary talent and rigorous training are denigrated.  We want elite pilots to fly our planes, elite troops to undertake our most critical missions, elite athletes to represent us in competition and elite scientists to devote the most productive years of their lives to curing our diseases.  And yet, when it comes time to vest people with even greater responsibilities, we consider it a virtue to shun any and all standards of excellence.  When it comes to choosing the people whose thoughts and actions will decide the fates of millions, then we suddenly want someone just like us, someone fit to have a beer with, someone down-to-earth -- in fact, almost anyone, provided that he or she doesn't seem too intelligent or well educated.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 20

I just realized that you can blame the election on a Republican man…Hillary's dad.

If Hugh Rodham had not named his daughter "Hillary" (not after Sir Edmund Hillary, despite Clinton's repeated lies about this), but say perhaps "Diane" (her middle name), we would never have had that awful "I'm with Her" slogan (which basically translated to "me, me, me! Cult of personality!" to much of the electorate, and left open the door for Trump to say "I'm with YOU" to the voters) or that ridiculous "H" logo that looked like a Hospital sign.

Because you know that the only reason some genius came up with "I'm with Her" is because "Her" and "Hillary" both start with "H".  Oy vey.

Not that they couldn't come up with stupid stuff on their own (don't get me started on "Stronger Together"…ask the UK Labour party about "Better Together"), but at least it wouldn't have been "I'm with Her".

But, of course, old Hugh wanted his girl to have his same initials.  69 years later, and Hugh's penis issues bit the Dems right in the butt.  Way to go, dude.

Railing on posters/people who voted in a way you do not agree with is exactly the same as attacking them. Stop. We know a lot of you are upset and others are thrilled. We all have to live in this world together and while being on this site is optional if you all want to continue to be here you need to figure out a way to get along.

The world is not ending.

The forum will auto unlock at 9pm EST.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DAngelus said:

I just realized that you can blame the election on a Republican man…Hillary's dad.

If Hugh Rodham had not named his daughter "Hillary" (not after Sir Edmund Hillary, despite Clinton's repeated lies about this), but say perhaps "Diane" (her middle name), we would never have had that awful "I'm with Her" slogan (which basically translated to "me, me, me! Cult of personality!" to much of the electorate, and left open the door for Trump to say "I'm with YOU" to the voters) or that ridiculous "H" logo that looked like a Hospital sign.

Because you know that the only reason some genius came up with "I'm with Her" is because "Her" and "Hillary" both start with "H".  Oy vey.

Not that they couldn't come up with stupid stuff on their own (don't get me started on "Stronger Together"…ask the UK Labour party about "Better Together"), but at least it wouldn't have been "I'm with Her".

But, of course, old Hugh wanted his girl to have his same initials.  69 years later, and Hugh's penis issues bit the Dems right in the butt.  Way to go, dude.

LOL I don't know, dude, I feel like maybe racism, anti-immigration, and Islamophobia (1 2 3 4 5) played bigger roles than Hugh Rodham naming his daughter Hillary.

• Love 24
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

[H]ow has 'elitism' become a bad word in American politics?  There is simply no other walk of life in which extraordinary talent and rigorous training are denigrated.  We want elite pilots to fly our planes, elite troops to undertake our most critical missions, elite athletes to represent us in competition and elite scientists to devote the most productive years of their lives to curing our diseases.  And yet, when it comes time to vest people with even greater responsibilities, we consider it a virtue to shun any and all standards of excellence.  When it comes to choosing the people whose thoughts and actions will decide the fates of millions, then we suddenly want someone just like us, someone fit to have a beer with, someone down-to-earth -- in fact, almost anyone, provided that he or she doesn't seem too intelligent or well educated.

It's the same way that they rail about the "intellectual elite."  Like being smart and educated is a character flaw.  

• Love 19

Because I'm bored, and a nerd, and a masochist who should have gone to bed long ago since I got exactly two hours' sleep last night, I made a spreadsheet listing all of the vote totals for Clinton and Trump, now that all the votes are in, and the totals for Obama and Romney in 2012, in every state.

I think a big part of the narrative today is focused on how Trump got a lot of the silent majority to come out for him in big numbers and Clinton just couldn't overcome that, and that's certainly true in a lot of the swing and non-swing states where I see Trump gained more votes over Romney than Clinton gained over Obama -- in Florida, for one, Trump improved Romney by about 440K votes while Clinton only added 250K to Obama's votes.

But there are a few crucial instances where it wasn't so much about Trump's gains as Clinton's losses, or both. In Michigan, Trump added about 160K to Romney's vote, but Clinton lost almost 300K of Obama's vote -- Trump comes out on top. In Minnesota, which Clinton barely won at the last minute, Trump actually got almost the exact same total as Romney, actually lost about 400 votes, but Clinton lost almost 200K of Obama's vote and so what was supposed to be an easy, obvious win for her just barely squeaked by. And in the other shocker Wisconsin, Trump again got a near identical total as Romney -- but Clinton lost 300K of Obama's votes.

So for all the talk of these shock results being the result of Trump bringing out the working-class white vote in droves that overwhelmed Clinton, while it's true in some cases in some of the more crucial states the problem was really Clinton's deficits. It seems it was only Pennsylvania where the white voter surge propelled Trump to the win, with him gaining 300K votes against Clinton's 80K loss, but in other states he actually performed right in line with Romney while Clinton lost a lot of Obama's numbers. Just thought I'd share my nerdgasm and add it to the conversation. In the states that mattered to the electoral map, Clinton's deficits actually mattered more than Trump's surge, so that's something to think about.

• Love 4