Type keyword(s) to search

Travelers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, waving feather said:

I'm fine with him if that's all he does but I can't stand the romantic relationship that he has with Marcy. Still gross.

I'm neutral on the romance, but I do understand why many aren't. It's just he's a character who seems to pop, more so than the wife, parents, or FBI partner, so I appreciate his presence.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
On 1/7/2017 at 0:29 AM, roctavia said:

I definitely would have liked to see a little more of the future, is there a training to become a traveler? How did Phillip memorize everything? or just more what is the future really like? I know we got glimpses of the food mush and the drab sack clothes and short hair... but why? Maybe they don't even have names in the future, or not everybody (the engineer had a name or a nickname at least) maybe they all are just numbers.

When they were kidnapped, Phillip mentioned that the drug he was given would only work on someone 'modified to be a historian', so he has probably had some kind of memory expansion/alteration.  I also wondered if they only have numbers in the future.  In a computer run society it would make sense.

• Love 2
On 12/31/2016 at 3:43 PM, Clanstarling said:

I think part of the premise is how incomplete a picture our digital footprints leave. While hundreds (hundred?) of years in the future the death records can tell them exactly when a death occurs, social media and other data is rather spotty on the reality of their lives. In the case of the developmentally disabled woman, she had a fake facebook account that made her seem like a good candidate. The junkie's parents said it was the first time he'd taken drugs, and the abused woman's survivors (her baby's father) isn't likely to have been discovered as her killer, especially since he's a presumed upstanding member of the community. It is, however, a pretty large percentage of oopsies, I agree.

This detail bugged me.  We don't know exactly when a death occurs, so they'd have no way of knowing, without some cosmic roll call sheet.  And if they have the intelligence of a deity or something, they for sure wouldn't be relying on Facebook profiles.  

I watched through ep 6 or 7 and thought I'd suffer through 8 if that was the whole season, but when I saw it was 12, I groaned and knew that dread was the sign it was time for me to move along.   So many of the awkward situations of being in a host body are just painful to watch for me-- MacLaren's party, the shoplifting, heroin withdrawals, etc.  It's so manufactured and unrealistic.  None of them has a job except MacLaren, who is able to pretty convincingly play an FBI agent and husband with no training or prep at all.  The social worker doing a spinal tap was pretty silly.  I don't know, it's just not sucking me in.

I was barely watching the first episode. It was boring and there were a ton of holes in the story. Second episode had me hooked, and I am really liking the show now. I am only in two episodes though, so maybe it goes downhill. I'm hopeful that it will be great!

Edit: Now that I'm done, I like it a lot. The only problem is that there are a lot of hiccups that take away from what the show can be. I feel like I'm watching an amazing show, then boom. A lot of filler that is annoying.

Edited by LVmom
  • Love 1

The hubs and I just finished watching this last night and we quite enjoyed it. He's much more of SciFi fan than I am and he was really taken with it. I will admit that some of the more "technical" issues of the left me in the cold, but it wasn't a big thing.  We both found it amusing that this show is supposed to take place in Seattle (my husband is from that area), but they made absolutely no effort whatsoever to hide the fact that it is filmed in Vancouver.  I mean, even Grey's will give you a shot of the Space Needle now and then to remind you of where the show is supposed to take place.

The last episode I felt was a bit too confusing for a season-ending cliffhanger.  There seemed to be so much new stuff thrown in at once that I'm not sure I even caught it all.  While it looks like it is curtains for Grace, I hope that's not the case--while I didn't think she was the most *interesting* character, I did find her to be the most amusing.

I don't think we'll get rid of the social worker (what is his name?  I completely lost it).  I think we're more likely to lose Kat, mostly because she already has one foot out the door.  I'm wondering about Forbes--was that the *actual* FBI that stormed in, or is he a traveler from the other faction?  See what I mean....so much new information....

• Love 1

I am catching up with this show on Netflix. Not sure how I feel about it. It is kind of entertaining, but I am not too invested. I am curious about some things, like why does everyone seems to live underground in the future? They seem to be amazed by "living things", trees and bears. 

Also curious about how historical facts seem to have changed (whatever episode that was, it is as far as I have gotten).

Peeve: the surgery Marcy performed on herself. That's not how VNS surgeries happen anymore. And that little chip is not a VNS. It is the future, so maybe they made it even smaller (which is not the preferred today because the batteries discharge faster and need to be replaced via another surgery), without the need of a computer-type device to turn the thing on, without the need to adjust according to each person. I didn't see any wires either.

But if the future made so many "improvements", why hasn't it improved the way of implanting the VNS without cutting, (like they implanted the communicator thing on their necks), or at least with only one cut? The neck cut is not necessary anymore. They implant the device on the chest and run the wire to the neck subcutaneously. Yeah, I know. Bloody scene, fake drama.

• Love 1

Just finished watching.  I liked it, hubby didn't make it past first epi.  The Marcy reboot is interesting, otherwise her plot would be tedious.  My favorites are Phillip and Trevor.  A question about their ages:  Trevor is supposedly centuries old, he mentioned something about the first time he was downloaded into someone...How long do the travelers live, and is it just their conciousness?  I like that they choose people who are going to die anyway, but it freaks me out they can also go into people going to live - if they can go into anyone - wouldn't it make sense that if someone from the future wanted a traveler dead, they could just download a new traveler into them? We saw it happen with the traitor.  Torn on what I want Carly to do with the ex.  He didn't do anything wrong that time, but he is a jerk and a wife beater.  What happens to the bodies of the people from the future when they get downloaded to the past?

• Love 2

I don't like new Marcy all that much, but I think the basics are still there.

I like David, and I don't mind the 'shipper stuff though I don't want to consider the long term moral questions yet.

What happens if the mission is completed and Marcy and David marry and/or have a child? Does she go back to her original state of being? 

Will the brain damage interfere with this new persona too? Will she need reboots again and again, and thus constantly forget who he is and why he's there? Because that sounds awfully frustrating.

Grace was so much fun, she's like a spark in a really dry powderkeg. 

@Ripley68 I guess if it's a consciousness and not a physical form, they are kept in a form of stasis in the future?

• Love 1
(edited)

I just watched this on Netflix. I don't think I'll watch live on Showcase this fall, but I'll watch the 2nd season when Netflix drops it here. One thing I missed - when they were going over the things that have changed in the future: did they succeed in rerouting the asteroid? I assume yes. But there are still big problems in the future obviously and I don't understand what they are? The asteroid was suppose to be the catalyst that caused the famines and wars. If that didn't happen, why is the future still so screwed up?

Edited by lynny
  • Love 2

Because they've never heard of the butterfly effect in the future?

The first rule of time traveling in any form or shape: Everything you do, say or don't say or don't do changes things. You kill a bug that was supposed to bite someone who would suffer an allergic reaction from it and die. If you don't kill the bug, he doesn't bite and the other person doesn't die. The other person goes on to change things etc ...

It's not about the asteroid, most likely.

• Love 1

Overall, I like it fairly well, but I could do without Carly's baby or MacLaren's feelings for his 21st century wife. One thing that really bothers me is how they get super high tech future stuff into the past. Bodies aren't traveling from the future, so they can't carry stuff with them. Are we just supposed to believe that the people from the future are so smart they can make all these things with only the tools and materials available to them in the 21st?

• Love 4
9 hours ago, aliferous85 said:

Because I didn't realise there's no edit posts function:

The second season starts October 16th on Showcase, I presume Netflix will follow soon after.

I think last year, Netflix timed it so that it was dropped right around the time the last episode of the season aired in Canada.

• Love 1

October 16th episode is called Ave Machina:

Grant MacLaren and his team find themselves in FBI custody with no means of escape, while a mysterious new traveler reveals secrets to his psychiatrist.

The next episode is on October 23th, and is called Protocol 4:

Philip makes an unexpected connection, Marcy helps David cope with his trauma, and MacLaren discovers a shocking truth that Kathryn has been hiding from him.

• Love 1

Aha! So Vincent (Enrico Caruso) was the kidnapper last season! Neat.

It seems like a bit of cheat to suddenly get 25 law enforcement travelers, but I'm willing to give it a chance. Cautiously optimistic about this season.

• Love 3

Been home sick for the past few days and decided to binge watch this. The show is okay but I was underwhelmed by most of the characters/actors especially McLaren/ Will McCormick. That guy is as dull as a dishrag so I hope there's less of him on season 2 and more of Grace and Ellis.

BTW isn't it unethical for him to be having sex with his "wife"?

17 hours ago, Fex said:

Aha! So Vincent (Enrico Caruso) was the kidnapper last season! Neat.

Let's see where that goes! Ol' Traveler 001 has quite the undercurrent of danger/instability.

As usual, I should have re-watched at least the finale of season 1 as a refresher but I'm just going with it. I completely forgot what that machine was supposed to do, or if The Director is good or bad now.

Nice to see Stephen Lobo and Amanada Tapping show up, because of course they would. Roger Cross should be up next.

• Love 5

I'm so glad this show is back! And they're still hiring some really great actors (or really, most of the actors in Canada). And also that Canada joke was cute.

That reconstruction of 9/11 was pretty good - they must have spent money on that. It really brought back the shivers of that day.

Poor psychologist. You'd never be able to answer the phone again, after a story like that. Which would make life difficult these days.

I'm really looking forward to the rest of this season.

• Love 3

Episode 2: Jenny is evil, right? "Helping" Philip by getting him addicted to a different drug is no bueno.

Also not trustworthy: These new mass arrivals. Is Vincent possibly pulling those strings, or has The Director been corrupted?

• Love 2

Philip reuniting with his tortoise was adorable, but I agree, the new drug addiction is clearly putting him right off his game and Jenny is definitely evil. I'm starting to wonder whether the Director is misleading them because if they ever succeed, it will blink out of existence. Nothing the Director suggests has worked at all.

Marcie and David cannot break up. They are just the sweetest thing, so I am assuming that this is not permanent. Because really, where are either of them even going to find someone as nice ever again?

The FBI is now mostly being run by people who are hopeless and clueless about what they are meant to be doing, so presumably the federal crime rate will be running wild, while they botch up their investigations.

I'm kind of meh about the baby drama, both of them, but I'm sure they'll start running into the older Traveler versions of their own kids or grandkids if this goes on much longer. They're trying to save the future, maybe raising some better people will be the answer, since nothing else has worked.

Still loving this show.

• Love 5

I don't know why Carly is trying to get her baby back. It makes her job more difficult and she's not really safe to be around. I understand why she might not want her abusive ex to have the baby but if it's going to a good home it would probably be better to let it go.

• Love 6

I know they've had a short time jump but I feel like I missed an episode or something. Marcy is working at the hospital, Maclaren and his wife are getting along, David has a girlfriend and Phillip is in the grip of an ugly eye drop addiction. 

I like this show but I don't want to see Phillip struggling with addiction or an angry Carly trying to co-parent with Jeffrey. I understand that some personal drama helps round them out as characters but I'd rather they focused on the missions and their interactions as a team.

• Love 5

At first I was so confused about how Marcie could be working as a nurse and still keep her original identity, but then it turned out she was a tech, which I guess she would be able to qualify for rapidly with her technical knowledge. Of course poor David with his saviour complex only dates people with problems. That's why he and Marcie were so good, as they both have the same issue, and so could simply save each other a lot.

Now that Jeff Jr. is back, can he just stay at home with his dad out sight for a bit? 

MacLaren is in such trouble as he potentially can't ever tell anyone in his life about his kid. What is the team supposed to do, if they find out he broke regs? Because clearly he'll always pick Cat and the kid over everyone else. Anyway, clearly the team won't go after his family. But his new Traveler partner might, and Cat still thinks that he's their friend. 

I don't get the point of the eye drops, except to show how evil the Director probably is.

• Love 2

I too was confused at first with the time jump. Glad they had Philip mention the number of hours.

Even with the faking, Trevor's parents and doctors must think he is a miracle!

20 hours ago, Lebanna said:

Now that Jeff Jr. is back, can he just stay at home with his dad out sight for a bit? 

Please, show, listen to this!

• Love 1

Wait a second. Marcy shouldn't remember shelter 41 collapsing. She was reprogrammed with an imprint programmer lady brought back with her from her timeline, wasn't she? That was the explaination why the 21st century memories couldn't go in, wasn't it?

The whole civil war thing, I really don't know about. I guess they had to do something to spice this show up, but time travel is confusing enough on it's own. Now you bring a temporal war into it and you got... Star Trek Enterprise... yikes.

As an aside. I hope the shelters in the future are as gloriously batshit insane as the vaults in fallout.

5 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Why was Marcie upset about Philips with that traveler girl? 

I'm still sad about the first Marie's death and the relationship with David. 

Me too! I'm finding it hard to connect with New Marcie.

I think she was upset because Philip brought her to headquarters. 

• Love 1

The actor playing David plays him so sweetly that I can't help but wonder if the writers realize that he comes off a bit creepy with his savior complex.  The antics of him sleeping with a woman he (at the time) still thought to be disabled and in his care still leaves a slimy feeling on my skin no matter how charming the actors were together.  Sometimes I think Marcie's amnesia is an attempt to course correct or address this and yet here I am, still disturbed by his character. Shame, too; for me the original set up around their characters was the most fascinating but things not quite meshing in that area holds it back from its full potential.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, millahnna said:

The actor playing David plays him so sweetly that I can't help but wonder if the writers realize that he comes off a bit creepy with his savior complex.  The antics of him sleeping with a woman he (at the time) still thought to be disabled and in his care still leaves a slimy feeling on my skin no matter how charming the actors were together.  Sometimes I think Marcie's amnesia is an attempt to course correct or address this and yet here I am, still disturbed by his character. Shame, too; for me the original set up around their characters was the most fascinating but things not quite meshing in that area holds it back from its full potential.

But Marcie and David didn't get together romantically until her story of being an undercover FBI agent/field medic was totally solid in his mind. He'd heard and seen her doing some incredible things. Yes, she had to deal with some residual issues from her previous life, but she was definitely not mentally disabled, and he was lead to believe that she never really had been.

The show made clear that there was definitely nothing inappropriate between David and Real Original Marcie. He was horrified at the thought of even accidentally seeing her naked. 

Edited by Lebanna
  • Useful 1
  • Love 14

I must have blinked and missed that because it all came off potentially skeezy and like it started while he still thought she might have been disabled in the past.  Well, I'd intended to rewatch season 1 before this one started so I guess this is as good a reason as any to get on with that.

• Love 1

David wasn't in this episode, although Marcie did call him and hang up. I wonder if he will stay in the show.

This was a pretty tense episode! I felt so bad for that senator guy. I guess Marcie and Philip aren't the only ones to have unpleasant surprises with their new bodies.

They haven't been using Philip's memory as much this season, so I sort of forgot about the whole brain-enhanced-memory thing. I guess he not only memorized a ton of stuff in the future, but he can take in new information - or he could, if he wasn't super high.... 

I'm glad they didn't kill Trevor. He is my favorite and I wish he had a bigger role. 

Phil is really starting to question the director which makes sense after everything they've been through and he's not wrong about them all breaking rules especially Maclaren. Its OK for him to have a secret baby but Phil can't save Trevor?

I'm a slight bit worried that a practical, rule following Marcie might give McLaren's wife something to induce a miscarriage. I hope not but she is different this season.

• Love 4

Well, that was interesting. i think it was pretty obvious that Phillip's girlfriend was a member of the faction. Maybe if he hadn't been struggling with the drug thing he would have picked up on it. The faction are pretty extreme if they're trying to wipe out 30% of the world's population but i'm not sure that they're wrong. They know what the future is like and maybe a population reduction would prevent their apocalyptic future since the asteroid  mission from season one seemed to make things worse.

I feel a bit mean after watching this episode because i was hoping Jeffrey and Jeffrey Jr would die and that the virus succeeds in wiping out a bunch of people.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 11/10/2017 at 7:17 AM, snowwhyte said:

I'm a slight bit worried that a practical, rule following Marcie might give McLaren's wife something to induce a miscarriage. I hope not but she is different this season.

I was thinking about that when she made the meds that went into the vitamins or whatever it was.  I think she's showing enough signs of being curious about her previous iteration that it's seeming more unlikely.  But I'm wondering if we aren't heading toward a situation where she starts to do it (maybe already has?) and then has second thoughts as she becomes more like how she was before the reset.  I'm enjoying this weird arc for her.

I thought they would do some kind of time loop/reset episode when the whole team was killed in the first five minutes but i found the episode a bit tedious. There wasn't any humour and not much tension because it was very unlikely that the whole team would stay dead. It was also an odd choice to focus the multiple resets on characters we don't know and aren't going to see again. 

• Love 5